PDA

View Full Version : Far West Suburbs of Chicago Newbe Intrduction

PODSJP
03-16-2008, 14:58
Hello Everyone !!

My name is Pete, and I am retired. So I am a lot older than most of you ...But I would still like to try to keep up with the learning. Like many have posted here, I too am impressed with he Knowledge and Politeness this board shows for those with a similar interest. I feel like I know many of you already from reading your thoughts and even Humor..

I have been a Lurker of this Forum and joined about 6 months ago. Admittedly, at first to be able to enjoy the great Pics that a Lurker is unable to open....Some of you have posted amazing displays of Bottles for a group that mainly considers itself (Sensible )Drinkers and Tasters. I find my enthusiasm automaticly makes me a Collector as I can't possibly drink It as fast as I have the desire to acquire all this Great Bourbon and Rye you talk about on this Forum . After 18 different Ryes and about every Bourbon Binny's and Sam's Wines sell I find I am losing the race with drinking and now admire what I have collected, even photographing many in displays with Great pride . Of course this gets some strange looks or stares from those not as interested. Even Accusing me of not taking my Medicine regularly...Because of this enthuisiasm my Wife and I are Driving to Kentucky for the Sampler. Like many we have reservations at the GN for three nights...

We would like to get to meet as many of you as possible. Since we are first timers
I would appreciate advice on how to get into the flow. Mainly about attending the Friday night Dinner and the Gazebo routines. Seems like these are the Events to meet and have social enjoyment for the evenings. We as the Newbes are reluctant to be like a large wet dog jumping in.... Please help a Newbe here..

Hope to have visited the Eastern most Distillleries on the way down At Versailles, Frankfort and Lawrenceburg. PWV 15 and WTRB seem to be my Favorites as of now,
Since this is my first Post and a long one, I will stop.

Looking forward to meeting many of you ,
I love the closing one Member has used here "It all seems like good clean fun until someone loses an Eye "

Pete

TomH
03-16-2008, 15:29
Since I have 77 days until I retire (not that I'm counting) you probably have me beat by a little, but there are several of us at least over 50 (though the majority are younger, but we know the benefits of aging). Look forward to meeting you at the Sampler, my wife and I will be there Friday and Saturday nights.

Since I possess the minimum of social graces and have not been ostracized at the Gazebo, I would not worry about fitting in. You will find that most attendees are just normal every day type folks who enjoy bourbon (and a few of us have been known to even bring a bottle of scotch with us) and conversation.

BTW, we frequently get up your way. We have friends in Elmhurst and St. Charles so we get up there about every other month. Barb gets to visit friends and hit the Aurora outlet and Woodfield while I get to hit Sam's and Binnie's.

Tom

PODSJP
03-16-2008, 16:16
Thanks Tom:

Looking forward to meeting you in Bardstown. You will be 37 days from retirement when I see ya !!!
How many Stephen Foster Ryes do they get at the Gazebo. If I bring one do I have to put a brown paper Bag around it. It may have to sit by somebody's Rittenhouse 23 ...LOL

HighTower
03-17-2008, 03:54
Hey Pete!

Welcome aboard!
You are a lucky man to have Binny's and Sam's close to you, and you seen to have taken full advantage of that!!
I buy a bit from Binnys, but it gets expensive with shipping to Australia.
My last box had 10 bottles in it, and the cheapest bottle was Rittenhouse BIB, which ended up costing me US$75 after shipping and import duties/GST :bigeyes:

Enjoy your time here, and I'm sure you will have great fun at the Sampler and meet many of these fellow bourbon lovers!

Cheers! :toast:

Scott

craigthom
03-17-2008, 04:06
In six months I, too, have put together a relatively small collection that nevertheless far exceeds my consumption rate. As I told my brother, I already have a lifetime supply of bourbon, but that won't keep me from buying more.

PODSJP
03-17-2008, 10:56
Thanks guys for your Welcome response and comments.

Scott even as a Newbe, I have seen that beautiful Bourbon display you have put together. I may have Binny's in my back yard but I will never acquire all the Duty Free and special Bottle type bottles you have displayed. That sure impressed this old country boy....Wild Turkey's Galore..............
Craigthom, we seem to be on the same track with the inventory growing. I wish I had the knowledge of the Louisville Streets you probably have . It would sure be easier for me to see the sites ..Maybe some in this group will be doing the Louisville tour that I can get in with......
Think I will go after a Bottle Old Pogue next. Anyone have a comment on that Historic old Name in Bourbon. Is it really the same Bourbon do you think or close ? Or is it a selected bulk purchase that is Bottled by a Licensed holder of the Label or Family....I think I viewed one time on the Bottle it states same old Recipe.........

TNbourbon
03-17-2008, 14:28
...How many Stephen Foster Ryes do they get at the Gazebo. If I bring one do I have to put a brown paper Bag around it. It may have to sit by somebody's Rittenhouse 23 ...LOL

If I've seen a Stephen Foster rye at a Gazebo gathering, I don't remember it -- it's a tough get almost everywhere except, apparently, where you are! By all means, bring it with pride (you might even carry spare or two as trade fodder).
As for the likelihood of Rittenhouse 23yo, I suspect the 21 is more likely -- because anyone who bought it probably didn't spring for the extra $20-$30 for the same thing aged a little longer.
(You'll be able to meet a number of us in early-April in Chicago for WhiskyFest weekend if you can and wish. Check out the thread about those gatherings.)

PODSJP
03-17-2008, 15:36
If I've seen a Stephen Foster rye at a Gazebo gathering, I don't remember it -- it's a tough get almost everywhere except, apparently, where you are! By all means, bring it with pride (you might even carry spare or two as trade fodder).
As for the likelihood of Rittenhouse 23yo, I suspect the 21 is more likely -- because anyone who bought it probably didn't spring for the extra $20-$30 for the same thing aged a little longer.
(You'll be able to meet a number of us in early-April in Chicago for WhiskyFest weekend if you can and wish. Check out the thread about those gatherings.)
Thanks Tim, That's exactly the inspiration a Newbe needs to do the correct thing. I know although Stephen Foster Rye is a Cheapie it is very hard to find. I have about killed a 1.75 of it and only have 2 seperate quarts left. I will bring one of those to Bardstown. I find what I have had is very tolerable( is that a word?) Equal to all the other low 80 proof Ryes. I do have numerous High Pricers like Black Maple Hill 18 & 21. Vintage 21 & 23. the Sazeracs, Hardy and VWFR. But have not even had and event or opportunity to warrant breaking the seal on those. Tim I have acquired much and have great respect for your Knowledge on this Forum ... Thank's Pete