PDA

View Full Version : Sweet & Woody & Old..

mitchshrader
03-17-2008, 13:06
It seems like, once you pass that 20 year old mark, liquors get more and more alike. The original mashbill becomes less relevant, and the quality of the wood and care given to the aging dominates the flavor profile.

All exceptions and variations stipulated, I'm speaking 'in general'. If a spirit is well made (grain spirits, rum, rye, bourbon, single malt, brandy) .. and aged properly for 2 decades.. or three... in good barrels, it will have strong similarities to other well-aged spirits. IN MY OPINION, and only as far as it happens to be true, .. ;)

That said, I'm hunting spirits that resemble each other, that might not be EXPECTED to by most folks.

Let's put age limits of 15-25 years old, likely, if you're being realistic.. what good older booze tastes 'alike'?

I loved Saz 18, and couldn't help but think of cognac. I love cask strength cognac, and *wish* I could find another rye, rum, or irish.. as chewy and complex and smooth...

In Scotch it's the Macallan 18 for me, but what say you about flavorsome comparison liquors? I am interested in 100$ and down booze, if that's even possible.. and 19.99 is a good number too. :) Sweet old wood with SOMETHING in the barrel, what's out there?

Rughi
03-17-2008, 14:46
It seems like, once you pass that 20 year old mark, liquors get more and more alike. The original mashbill becomes less relevant, and the quality of the wood and care given to the aging dominates the flavor profile.

I once had a Cadenhead bottling of Irish Whiskey that was about 35yo that I would have been hard pressed to say if it began life as a Scotch, Irish, or American Whiskey. If it had been aged in a virgin barrel, I believe it would have been very different, but as far as mashbill...

Roger

CorvallisCracker
03-18-2008, 14:33
Really old rhum agricole (rum made from cane juice instead of molasses) is often difficult to distinguish from brandy. Barbancourt 15yo, a favorite of mine, is a good example of this.

Clement XO is one I've not tried, but Scott Steeves (Scottes Rum Pages, http://scottesrum.com) repeatedly compares it to cognac in his review.

Old apple brandy will lose the fruit and begin to taste like old grape brandy. Back in the 1980s I sampled several very old Calvados which, had I tasted them blind, would never guessed were apple brandies.

Vange
03-19-2008, 23:25
Clement XO is one I've not tried, but Scott Steeves (Scottes Rum Pages, http://scottesrum.com) repeatedly compares it to cognac in his review.

I have tasted this and own it. It is awesome! very reminiscent of cognac.

CorvallisCracker
03-20-2008, 10:46
I have tasted this and own it. It is awesome! very reminiscent of cognac.

Unfortunately the Clement XO, at about $150, is out of Mitch's stated price range.

For that matter, it's out of my price range...

(the Barbancourt 15 goes for about $40-45)

Vange
03-20-2008, 11:36
Maybe the Clement VSOP then or a different less expensive Rhum Agricole?

CorvallisCracker
03-20-2008, 12:32
Maybe the Clement VSOP then or a different less expensive Rhum Agricole?

I don't know if the VSOP falls within Mitch's parameters. The XO certainly does - some of the rum in that was made in 1952. That's older than me!

As for trying the VSOP myself, I've noticed it's available down at "Big Y" in Eugene (also my only local source for Barb 15).

But I think I'll hold off on that. My next purchase of older rum is going to be a Demerera of some sort. Although I've tried many, many rums over the years, I still have not gotten around to one of those.

So for a well-aged Rhum Agricole, I believe I'll stick with my current bottle of Barb 15 (at least until it's gone).

Vange
03-20-2008, 13:10
Ive had these on my wishlist for awhile

La Favorite Rhum Agricole Vieux
Neisson Rhum Agricole Reserve Speciale