PDA

View Full Version : Hello

WineGuy
03-22-2008, 19:22
I've mostly tried gin and vodka in the past and need advice for a good first bottle of bourbon. I have a sweet tooth and like a little touch of sweetness. I've read many posts about Wild Turkey 101 and am going to buy this bottle unless someone can talk me out of it.

HighTower
03-22-2008, 19:26
Not sure where you are form Wine Guy, but if it's sweetness you like...to start off I would maybe go for some Weller 12 or weller 7/107.
They are wheat recipe bourbons and probably will be easier for you to drink.

Cheers and welcome to StraightBourbon.com!

Scott

TNbourbon
03-22-2008, 19:33
If available to you, you might also/instead pick up an Elmer T. Lee and/or Four Roses (any bottling). Old Charter also is nicely sweet.

HighTower
03-22-2008, 19:35
Didn't think of Elmer T Lee. Nice one Tim!

Scott

WineGuy
03-22-2008, 21:05
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them comming!

I just returned from the store with a 750ml bottle of Wild Turkey 101. I'll post my thoughts a little later when I try it for the first time. Any recommendations on how to drink it? Should I mix in a little water, pour it over an ice cube, or drink it straight? I've read threads that say a couple drops of water open up the flavor.

I was a little surprised by the prices. I looked for the Weller and it was well over $50. One day I may be willing to spend $50 on a bottle after I learn a little more. I plan on sipping 2 or 3 ounces on days I drink so maybe $50 isn't that bad because a 750ml bottle will last a while. The Wild Turkey 101 was $19.99.

spun_cookie
03-22-2008, 21:20
Go find as much Weller 10 yr as you can. The wheater bourbons will be up you alley. You may even want to give Sweet Lucy a spin...

This years Pappy 23 yr is also a great pick.

WineGuy
03-22-2008, 21:28
I just opened a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 and had my first surprise-- I expected a metal screw cap, but there was a cork! The smell is strong with a little sweetness. I added one teaspoon of water to about 2.5 ounces of WT101. The first sip the alcohol evaporated off my tongue, and left a warm feeling, not a strong burn like I was expecting with a 101 proof bourbon. As I take my second sniff, the smell is very strong. I am going to wait a couple minutes before my second sip.

WineGuy
03-22-2008, 21:44
A little time has passed, and the smell is not nearly as strong as when first poured. The smell is much nicer and softer. Lesson #1, I think WT101 benefits from sitting in the glass a couple minutes. I took my second sip and it was not as strong as the first. There is more flavor with the second sip. I can't put my finger on all the flavors as some of them are new to me but I am going to have fun figuring out what they are.

Sijan
03-22-2008, 22:38
Enjoy! WT101 is a good - and classic - place to start exploring the world of bourbon. I have tried many more expensive and highly rated bourbons and other whiskeys, and I still think WT101 holds up well as an everyday pour. I also think it's a particularly good mixer for hot toddies.

So, I guess you're into wine as well? Me too.

Welcome!

T47
03-23-2008, 00:07
Both Weller 12 and Elmer T Lee are the two that always come to mind when I think of sweet. $50 seems really high for Weller 12, maybe you were looking at William Larue Weller?
Add your location to your profile, people who live in your general area will be better able to direct you to certain bottles.

Dr. François
03-23-2008, 15:40
I'm going to advise you toward Old Charter 10YO. It's a great non-bourbon drinker's bourbon. It is soft and sweet. Plus, it's pretty cheap.

WT101 is good stuff, but it may be a bit feisty for your first trip into bourbon country. I think, though, after trying a few "softer" bourbons, you will find that you really like the boldness of the WT101.

BTW, I like a little chipped ice (appx 1 tsp) with bourbons over 100 proof. I think they benefit from a little water and a little cool.

Welcome to the site!

Sijan
03-23-2008, 19:25
Saw you mention that you didn't want to blow $50/bottle on 10 bottles in another thread, so there are some recommendations for affordable bourbons and ryes for beginners here: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142

WineGuy
03-23-2008, 19:51
Saw you mention that you didn't want to blow $50/bottle on 10 bottles in another thread, so there are some recommendations for affordable bourbons and ryes for beginners here: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142

Thanks for the list!

HighTower
03-24-2008, 06:23
Like Todd pointed out, I think you may have stumbled across William Larue Weller if it was over $50.
being from Chicago you should check out Binnys or Sams.

Binnys have some hand picked Weller 12 that is $24.99 it's one of my favorites!
Their Weller 7yo/107 proof is only $18.99

You should check one of those out next!

Scott

CorvallisCracker
03-24-2008, 09:18
Greetings, WineGuy!

Dan's list is a good one.

You'll find that Bourbons which use wheat as the minority component are generally "sweeter" than those which use rye. The "wheaters" are:

Anything with the name "Van Winkle" (unless it's the VW Rye Whiskey)
Anything with the name "Weller"
Old Fitzgerald
Makers Mark

So, what kind of wine do you favor?

Cornman
03-24-2008, 23:33
Another one to consider, although not right away, and not even a bourbon, is Mellow Corn. File this one under "educational". Bourbon is of course fermented from varying proportions of corn, barley, rye, and wheat. If you want to find out what the rye contributes, you can try a rye whiskey. If you want to see some of what corn contributes, try Mellow Corn. I don't know what you try if you want to see what wheat and barley contribute. Mellow Corn is corn whiskey (or at least 80% corn, by law, I think). It's completely different from bourbon, and not a 'fine' whiskey by anyones reckoning, but kind of fun in the same way Tastee-Freeze is fun even if you prefer creme brulee most of the time. Get the BIB rather than 80 proof if you can.

Welcome aboard.

WineGuy
03-25-2008, 04:53
Greetings, WineGuy!

Dan's list is a good one.

You'll find that Bourbons which use wheat as the minority component are generally "sweeter" than those which use rye. The "wheaters" are:

Anything with the name "Van Winkle" (unless it's the VW Rye Whiskey)
Anything with the name "Weller"
Old Fitzgerald
Makers Mark

So, what kind of wine do you favor?

I enjoy most rieslings and gewurztraminers and sparkling whites. I'm more picky when it comes to reds, mostly sticking to zinfandels.

T47
03-25-2008, 07:54
I don't know what you try if you want to see what wheat and barley contribute
Bernheim Original is a Wheat Whiskey, and I think Ridgemont Reserve has the highest content of Malted Barley of the Bourbons.