PDA

View Full Version : New From KY

Moonshine Mike
03-24-2008, 16:49
Hello All! My name is Mike and I am from Louisville, KY. I Found the site after a few Googles...and it looks like I've found home. Bourbon has ran through my blood since I was a kid. I can remember going to my Grandpa's house and getting his "special" couch medicine which consisted of WT and honey. I have experienced very few bourbons that I did not like it some way or another, just depends on the mood. I have a hard time remembering what I've had....so now since I'm on here now, I will start to keep a log along with getting some recommendations from the gallary! My workhouse, as of right now, is EW.

Since they are in my backyard, I've had a chance to visit many of the dist. tours and have even been able to encourage the wife to be adventureous. She now impresses the guys on nights out ordering a stiff Makers instead of a fruffy fruit drink.

Hope to contribute some...and learn a lot!!:toast:

Tennessee Dave
03-24-2008, 18:02
Welcome. You have found the right place to learn. The guys and gals here will teach you all you want to know.:grin:

spun_cookie
03-24-2008, 20:08
Welcome Mike... I envy your location. Here in AZ I get what y'all are kind enough to let leave the state.

CorvallisCracker
03-25-2008, 11:08
Welcome Mike!

I can remember going to my Grandpa's house and getting his "special" couch medicine which consisted of WT and honey.

You can get that premixed now.

woodyxjs
03-25-2008, 14:41
Hey I'm new here from KY also, LaGrange actually, I like what I see so far. I have bee using the Whisky Mag forums lately but they seem to be more interested in Scotch. I'll try to post some pics of my bar, its a great taste to do some tasting.

barturtle
03-25-2008, 14:50
You have a beautiful bar there.

woodyxjs
03-25-2008, 14:58
Thanks I built it myself, I have several sealed vintage bottles the oldest is 1917 Wood Pollard, several mid fifties Canadian whiskey's and a few old Kentucky bourbons. I just love to buy the old stuff, I was told by Bill Samuels, of Makers Mark fame, that bourbon stops "maturing" after it is removed from the barrel, but there is just something that amazes me about a bottle that has been around for fifty or sixty years and nobody has gotten around to opening it.

smokinjoe
03-25-2008, 15:37
Indeed, Woody. That is a very nice bar. Top notch.

:toast:

JOE

TNbourbon
03-25-2008, 15:41
...but there is just something that amazes me about a bottle that has been around for fifty or sixty years and nobody has gotten around to opening it.

Funny -- for me, there's just something that amazes me about tasting a bottle that's been around for fifity or sixty years, and nobody has gotten around to opening it.:cool:
Great bar, Woody, and impressive workmanship.:toast:

woodyxjs
03-25-2008, 17:12
Well if your ever in the neighborhood let me know, I'm not bashful about breaking the seal on one of those old girls.

barturtle
03-25-2008, 17:29
Watch out! Once I'm done with school, I'm back in Prospect, a mere 18 miles away...:cool:

woodyxjs
03-25-2008, 17:54
Prospect.... You know there are few things I enjoy more than firing up my old Jaguar on a Saturday evening heading out Hwy 42 hanging a left at 53 at cruisin out to the Liquor Store in Prospect to pick a couple of adult beverages for the evenings festivities. For those of you that dont know, while I live in the bourbon capital of the world there are several "dry" counties where you can not purchase alcohol...... which amount to a great way to give business to the surrounding counties.

barturtle
03-25-2008, 18:17
I was wondering about the xjs part of your name...