PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Cock

swampguy
03-25-2008, 15:07
Does anyone know anything about this bourbon? I saw it in the store today and wanted y'all's opinion on this one before I bought. It was only 15.99 and I think 103 proof. Let me know what you can.

cowdery
03-25-2008, 15:11
Heaven Hill product, so it's going to be pretty similar to Evan Williams black label. A little bit younger and higher proof. Not bad. It is what it is, i.e., a pretty decent expression of Heaven Hill whiskey.

gothbat
03-25-2008, 15:14
That one was my regular pour for a while but then I got tired of it so it's been a while since I've had any. Not a bad bourbon by any means, in fact I've been missing it and thinking about picking up a bottle lately. A good value for that price, proof, and taste imo.

craigthom
03-25-2008, 15:35
Given the name and the packaging I had assumed that this was a recent label, but last year I found a tax stamped (and aged two years longer) bottle, so I guess it's been around for a while.

ggilbertva
03-25-2008, 17:06
I consider FC to be a decent bourbon for the price and given its 103 proof a good value. I mostly use it for mixing and such but at times do drink it neat.

whiskeyhatch
03-25-2008, 17:46
Used to be a good value bourbon but the price has gone up a bit. It's a young tasting bourbon with lots of corn husk. I drank it neat with some spring water and found it to have a lot of flavor but it just wasn't my cup o' tea. I'd recommend you give it a try, though. Oh, and $15.99 is still not a bad price. It's pushing 20 bucks here in the metroplex.

ggilbertva
03-25-2008, 19:22
I wait for it to go on sale and usually pick it up for around $14. $20 is getting a little high. VA increased all liquor sales in February so everything here has gone up unfortunately.

camduncan
03-25-2008, 21:51
I'm about a third of the way through my first bottle. It's not a great bourbon, but not a bad one either. It has a bit too much burn for my liking, even when I put a few cubes of ice in it. I tried it with Coke, but that didn't help either. I've been meaning to try it in a Mint Julep for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

As an FYI....
Scott (Hightower) and I went out this time last year and purchased the last 5 (known) bottles in Australia before this product disappeared from our shelves. It has been dropped by the Aussie Heaven Hill Distributors. It cost us $45 AU per bottle, which was the normal retail price.

jeff
03-26-2008, 08:27
Heaven Hill product, so it's going to be pretty similar to Evan Williams black label. A little bit younger and higher proof. Not bad. It is what it is, i.e., a pretty decent expression of Heaven Hill whiskey.

It's not often that I disagree with Chuck, but in my opinion this bourbon is nothing like EWB. There is a cloying sweetness to it that makes it undrinkable to me. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Fighting Cock a wheater?

DoubleT
03-26-2008, 21:51
It's not often that I disagree with Chuck, but in my opinion this bourbon is nothing like EWB. There is a cloying sweetness to it that makes it undrinkable to me. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Fighting Cock a wheater?
I enjoy Fighting Cock, but I haven't met a bourbon yet that I haven't liked, just some more than others. I like the robust flavor and bite of this bourbon when served on the rocks.

As for the bolded question Jeff, its a Rye recipe bourbon. I direct you to their site, http://www.fightingcock.com/index-flash.html

Bourbon is like anything else, each to their own tastes, and all tastes are different. You may or may not enjoy FC but you'll never know until you try it. Cheers.

jeff
03-27-2008, 03:02
I enjoy Fighting Cock, but I haven't met a bourbon yet that I haven't liked, just some more than others. I like the robust flavor and bite of this bourbon when served on the rocks.

As for the bolded question Jeff, its a Rye recipe bourbon. I direct you to their site, http://www.fightingcock.com/index-flash.html

Bourbon is like anything else, each to their own tastes, and all tastes are different. You may or may not enjoy FC but you'll never know until you try it. Cheers.

Interesting that it states that "most" bourbon is made with wheat and that by using rye it is somehow different. Thanks for the link. I'm not sure where I picked up the idea that it was a wheater. Regardless, it has to be the sweetest-tasting bourbon on the market IMO. I guess I'm not enough of a "Bourbon Man" to enjoy this one:lol:

cowdery
03-27-2008, 21:07
The comparison to EWB was pretty casual, simply based on them both being HH rye-based bourbons of about the same age, but there's always that barrel selection thing and I believe HH selects FC for a little more burn. It never struck me as excessively sweet, but nothing ever has, so that's just me.

swampguy
03-28-2008, 05:47
Thanks for all the info. It seems it is worth a try. I think my next bottle will be FC.

MikeK
03-28-2008, 10:16
I actually picked up a miniature of it in Bardstown one day and drank it in a snifter in the parking lot of the HH visitors center. Oops, did I say that out loud?

I found it quite hot, and with nothing else to interest me. I would definitely give it a second chance though given the opportunity.

My favorite HH products are actually the 4/6/10 yo BIB's, so I am not rejecting it on any snob basis...

cowdery
03-28-2008, 10:34
My favorite HH products are actually the 4/6/10 yo BIB's, so I am not rejecting it on any snob basis...

I'm with you there. How good is JTS Brown BIB? And at half the price of FC.

jeff
03-28-2008, 13:08
I'm with you there. How good is JTS Brown BIB? And at half the price of FC.

How good is it?

HighTower
03-29-2008, 05:49
I'm with Jeff on the sweet factor.
Cam and I both found this to be incredibly sweet which is why Cam thought it may be good for Mint Juleps.

Scott

ILLfarmboy
03-29-2008, 07:56
To my taste it isn't really any sweeter than Weller Antique but I can see where it's thinness and perhaps the fact that it is a bit hot for it's 103 proof can make it's sweetness objectionable.

cowdery
03-29-2008, 13:44
How good is it?

I'm very fond of JTS Brown BIB. I think it's terrific.

OscarV
03-29-2008, 16:08
a Fighting Cock thread, and 2 pages of it at that.

It is not worth that much, but I do have to admit that maybe some people may think that this boubon is unique, I have yet to, as they say, walk a mile in there shoes.

Dr. François
04-08-2008, 17:03
a Fighting Cock thread, and 2 pages of it at that.

It is not worth that much, but I do have to admit that maybe some people may think that this boubon is unique, I have yet to, as they say, walk a mile in there shoes.

I managed to walk a mile in the shoes for a buck-oh-nine!

I picked up a mini bottle today. I like it. Granted, I prefer EWB at 11 bucks or EC12 at 20 bucks, but FC103 has some charming elements that I haven't found elsewhere.

First, the proof is astounding for a mid-shelf bourbon. I also don't know of any other bourbons bottled at 103. A random numer! And a prime number! Seriously, though...I'm guessing HH decided on this proof to compete with WT101. For reference, the following prime numbers are unclaimed whiskey proofs: 83, 89, 97, 109, and 113.
Plus, adjectives + birds seem to make people thirsty. It works for WT and Famous Grouse. I propose a new 15-20 dollar bourbon: Salacious Pheasant. Or Corpulant Goose. Or Ill-Tempered Eagle. Or Feisty Quail. I've got a million of these.

Second, this is a sweet bourbon, but lacks the thick viscosity of other "sweeters." This is a good reason to try it, too.

Third, I'm picking up the most prominent honeydew melon flavor I've ever experienced (outside melon flavored vodka) from a spirit. This interesting flavor profile might be fleeting or capricious from bottle to bottle, but I'm impressed.

Fourth, I like the lack of snob appeal. The Kickin' Chicken ain't trying to impress nobody. And the plastic bottle isn't making any friends. According to the HH website:
"Fighting Cock appeals to both male Gen X-ers and serious Bourbon lovers alike."
Hey! Creepy! It's like they have my dossier!

polyamnesia
12-10-2008, 16:45
since i haven't TRIED it and it's not available HERE, i am dying to give it a shot. preferably, a good pour. i like to be surprised.

it is available in my neighboring states of MD, DE or NJ (or even NY)????

is it feisty and rye-ish in the Old Grand Dad 114 sense?

bvscfanatic
12-10-2008, 19:40
I've had it, but it's been awhile. I have another bottle of it now, but haven't opened it yet as I am trying other bourbons. I personally liked it alot, but it's NOT a drink for the faint of heart. I learned quickly that the name and logo alone were very intimidating to most of my drinking companions. They weren't willing to try it.

It has a dark reddish amber color very similar to WT101, and I have every reason to suspect that it was created as a direct competitor. If I am not mistaken, this is a bourbon with a fairly stout rye content. The bird on the bottle tells the story. This stuff has an attitude. If you enjoy bourbon with an attitude, then it's well worth a try for the price.

Dramiel McHinson
12-10-2008, 20:30
I bought a 375 ml bottle a while back because it was glass with a clear label that showed the bourbon nicely. The Angry Chicken was just too interesting to pass up. The price was $9.00. I put it on the shelf as bourbon art and let er sit for a while. Later, in a weak moment, I cracked it open to give it a try. It was sweet but it had plenty of flavor and kick to it. I was entertained by the label and the bourbon and the price was not bad for 51.5 ABV. So, it wasn't a bad deal at all for me.

To be honest though, the little woman tried it and turned a sommersault inside her bloomers. After she caught her breath, she was concerned she had permanently scared her inward self. It's not for everyone.

Josh
12-10-2008, 21:19
In Bourbon, Straight (sorry, I got two copies for my birthday) the aforementioned Chuck implies that it is almost a parody of WT 101. Anybody who has actually had the stuff have an opinion on that?

kickert
12-10-2008, 22:39
I tried this for the first time the other day. I gave it a 7.5 out of 10 (much higher than I expected. I found it didn't have the flavor you would expect from 103 proof / 6 years. But with a splash of water it was very drinkable.

ILLfarmboy
12-11-2008, 06:09
For some reason all of the bigger Hy-Vee grocery stores are now stocking Fighting Cock. It use to be hard to find around here.

Its just too bad they don't do the same with some of the really sought after mid-shelf stuff.

cas
12-11-2008, 11:58
I wonder how it would fare if it had a more dignified name. Fighting Cock sounds a bit untamed and lowbrow. And the picture on the label reinforces that image. On the other hand, bourbons named after individuals, or even Wild Turkey, hint at something a bit more noble and traditional.

I do like the notion of selecting proofs based on prime numbers. Perhaps a 13 year old 103 proof bourbon could be considered really prime whiskey...
Craig

polyamnesia
12-14-2008, 15:28
still, does anyone know if it can be had in NJ, DE or MD?

is there a website where one can see where anything is and isn't available?

barturtle
12-14-2008, 15:54

None of those states are control states, so there isn't going to be a "Master List" of what you can and can't buy like in PA.

However a quick websearch shows FC in Maryland, at least

polyamnesia
12-14-2008, 16:30
None of those states are control states, so there isn't going to be a "Master List" of what you can and can't buy like in PA.

However a quick websearch shows FC in Maryland, at least

thank you!

my parents are in new castle DE so i am wondering if next time i am down, perhaps, elkton MD has some...

i am still trying to figure out the aggravating PA system...

Jaysus
12-15-2008, 15:14
I am just sharing this picture for the sake of sharing it:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/jaysus145/bourbon/IMG_9936.jpg

barturtle
12-15-2008, 15:29
I'm not sure what that Crown Royal is doing in the picture, but good call on the Bell's Two Hearted Ale

PAspirit1
01-16-2009, 13:46

According to their website, State Line Liquor in MD carries it. It might be a good idea to verify that it is in stock ahead of time.

shoshani
01-16-2009, 13:56
I am just sharing this picture for the sake of sharing it:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/jaysus145/bourbon/IMG_9936.jpg

Interesting. When did Fighting Cock go from 8 years old to 6?

mozilla
01-16-2009, 15:59
I know it was after 89. I have one with a Gov warning on the back.

Attila
01-17-2009, 04:25
What, no mention of the Fighting Cock 15 year old. Virus of Life, input?

polyamnesia
01-17-2009, 08:52
According to their website, State Line Liquor in MD carries it. It might be a good idea to verify that it is in stock ahead of time.

wow. thanks! i just might be able to procure a bottle and know for myself

(and now, upon finding the site http://statelineliquors.com/liquor/liquor.htm happy to see they have several things i haven't tried)

PAspirit1
01-17-2009, 15:18
wow. thanks! i just might be able to procure a bottle and know for myself

(and now, upon finding the site http://statelineliquors.com/liquor/liquor.htm happy to see they have several things i haven't tried)

No problem. I might get OF 100 there or Dickel.

Virus_Of_Life
01-17-2009, 15:22
What, no mention of the Fighting Cock 15 year old. Virus of Life, input?

I like the 15 year old quite a bit, but also like the regular 6 as well. The 15 shows all kind of promise on the nose, but just doesn't live up to it once on the pallate. Too bad really because I was hoping it would open up more over time or something but it hasn't. All in all though, for what it costs in Japan I'd call it a bargain!

sotnsipper
01-23-2009, 09:14
I picked up another bottle of this just yesterday, it has been a while since I have had any. I remember always drinking this with ice so decided to try it neat. I poured it in the glass and let it warm up a little to room temp. I nosed it a little while it was warming and really thought I was going to be disappointed. It seemed to be a closed book, not letting itself open up:searching:. After about 15 min I nosed, no changes, then sipped. Thank goodness my nose was lying to me. It has a very robust mouth feel to it. Lots of pepper and cinnamon. It does have a lot of burn:hot:, but it is 103 proof, so that was expected. After about 30 to 45 min, the nose started to open up. Even though this stuff is on the bottom shelves in my area, I would rate it a mid-shelf-er. Now I am sorry I haven't picked up a bottle of this lately:frown:.

p_elliott
01-23-2009, 09:52
I got a bottle of this for Christmas I really liked it! It has a lot of Pizazz to it. It's not a boring bourbon to say the least. Not a refined review but accurate.

sotnsipper
01-23-2009, 11:22
It has a lot of Pizazz to it. Not a refined review but accurate.

Well put! Sometimes the simple reviews explain a lot! Good review!

kickert
01-23-2009, 11:56
FC is certainly something worth trying. It won't blow your mind, but for the price it is a steal!! I love how the deep red color challenges you to find the complexity of its burn.

-bk

ILLfarmboy
01-23-2009, 14:21
I think It has been a two or three years since I bought a bottle and the bottle I bought had probably sat on the shelf for quite some time before I found it. I remember it as sweet and thin without much depth. Perhaps the brand has improved. I certainly don't recall a "robust mouth feel".

Has anyone who regularly or infrequently buys this bottling noticed a change for the better, say, from four or so years back to the most current bottling from stock purchased at a store with a fairly high turn-over rate?

kickert, sotnsipper, and p_elliott's reviews have got me wanting to try it again.

sotnsipper
01-23-2009, 14:58
Has anyone who regularly or infrequently buys this bottling noticed a change for the better, say, from four or so years back to the most current bottling from stock purchased at a store with a fairly high turn-over rate?

kickert, sotnsipper, and p_elliott's reviews have got me wanting to try it again.

I think I fit in the infrequent buyer category. With only a couple years of bourbon under my belt, I cannot speak of the older FC. I have always drank this on ice or in a cocktail. I have been on a mission to revisit all that I have tried, but neat this time. Maybe it is for this reason I was much more satisfied this go around with this bourbon. If the rest of the bottle is this good, it is going to be a regular pour for me. I don't think you will be disappointed if you pick up a bottle for a revisit yourself.

polyamnesia
01-23-2009, 16:43
this is going to be my next buy (if that special order of stagg doesn't come in soon!)

ILLfarmboy
01-24-2009, 22:00
I picked up a bottle of this today. I'm drinking some right now.

The nose is HH all the way. Reminds me of Evan Williams Black, though I haven't had any EVB since before they dropped the 7 year age statement two or three years back.

Both the nose and the taste is less sweet than I remember, though that may just be the power of suggestion. I was kinda expecting it to be a bit less sweet. The nose is better than the taste which is blunted a bit by alcohol, especially on the finish. I do have to say the nose is better than what I remember. Its not bad. I think it would be better at 7 or 8 years. After spending a couple sessions with it, it will go unused for a while but this bottle, like the last one I bought, will eventually get drained.

bvscfanatic
01-24-2009, 22:10
Ha, ha! I'm wearing my red Fighting Cock shirt (complete with the kickin' chicken) that I purchased at the Heaven Hill Bourbon Heritage Center just yesterday. We made a road trip to Bardstown for something totally unrelated to bourbon (a photo shoot at the Jailer's Inn), and I managed to convince my crew to tour the Heaven Hill facility. Loved it. We got to taste the EC 18 year and Evan Williams single barrel. Loved 'em both. Didn't buy 'em though. Got the shirt.

In future, I'm thinking of getting my entire wardrobe from Bardstown.

polyamnesia
01-30-2009, 18:05
I picked up a bottle of this today. I'm drinking some right now.

The nose is HH all the way. Reminds me of Evan Williams Black, though I haven't had any EVB since before they dropped the 7 year age statement two or three years back.

Both the nose and the taste is less sweet than I remember, though that may just be the power of suggestion. I was kinda expecting it to be a bit less sweet. The nose is better than the taste which is blunted a bit by alcohol, especially on the finish. I do have to say the nose is better than what I remember. Its not bad. I think it would be better at 7 or 8 years. After spending a couple sessions with it, it will go unused for a while but this bottle, like the last one I bought, will eventually get drained.

i agree, totally. i am a BIT disappointed, but then, that's partly my fault for expecting more when i knew there is no way it could be MORE at that price ($16.50 or so). i just left a review on the other, less traveled bourbon site...

i am still hanging on to hope...and will let it sit, air out, see what happens. no, it isn't bad at ALL! but it's not stellar like WT rye which is barely more (depending on where you are) or Weller SR or Antique...

it's too Heaven Hill....thin, vegetal. that's the worst of it. the high proof and rye spice are what save it.

The Boozer
01-30-2009, 19:32
Read "robust" which seems about right. Worked on a bottle a couple of weeks ago. Enjoyed a large pour over ice. Seems to mellow the kick a bit and brings out some the subtle flavors. Good solid bourbon floavor - sweet corn mash, syrupy, some spice and pepper. Solid moderate finish. Makes a pretty good Manhattan. Plan to buy another bottle (Using CallMeOx rating system - #1 )

polyamnesia
01-31-2009, 07:09
i admit, i am having that same reaction as i did when i first had OGDBIB...in that case, yes, the bottle got sweeter, creamier, something...those 'subtleties' came out to play!

i do wonder what its mashbill is. and i am sure it should VAT pretty nicely.

not an ice dropper, but i will have to try that tonight.

unclebunk
08-28-2009, 10:04
Found and bought my first bottle of Fighting Cock yesterday for $16.99. Haven't tasted it yet but am looking forward to trying it tonight. It's a current bottle with a cheapo sticker-type label. My brother seems to recall that it tastes no better (or worse) than Heaven Hill Ultra Deluxe which can be found locally for $5 less but I couldn't pass it up. Will report back with tasting notes.

marco246
08-28-2009, 13:39
i admit, i am having that same reaction as i did when i first had OGDBIB...in that case, yes, the bottle got sweeter, creamier, something...those 'subtleties' came out to play!

i do wonder what its mashbill is. and i am sure it should VAT pretty nicely.

not an ice dropper, but i will have to try that tonight.

I think the mash bill is the standard HH ryed bourbon bill: 77% corn, 13% rye, and 10% barley. I prefer this bourbon over ice as a tasty pre-dinner drink.

Isoflex
08-30-2009, 02:05
One of my favorite everyday pours. Full body, spicy, and has heat. Great mid-shelf bourbon in my opinion. Not refined but definitely bourbon. The antithesis of Basil Hayden...

unclebunk
08-30-2009, 07:10
Not refined but definitely bourbon. The antithesis of Basil Hayden...

How true. How true. I never could get my head around Basil Hayden's lifeless presentation, but that's just me. Others will no doubt disagree but I've always found BH boring as hell. I can't wait to sit out in the garage with a few friends on a brisk autumnal Sunday afternoon and watch some football with a few beers and a bottle of Fighting Cock. You need something fairly robust for those occasions and FC should fit the bill.

OscarV
08-30-2009, 07:28
The antithesis of Basil Hayden...

I'll second that.

How true. How true. I never could get my head around Basil Hayden's lifeless presentation, but that's just me. Others will no doubt disagree but I've always found BH boring as hell.

Yes, here to as well.

shoshani
08-31-2009, 10:31
I'm very fond of JTS Brown BIB. I think it's terrific.

The above is from an old entry but it makes me curious....

JTS Brown is made by HH. Jim Murray says that what we know as the Wild Turkey distillery was formerly the JTS Brown distillery, at least until Austin, Nichols Co decided to make it the sole supplier for Wild Turkey and purchased it. When did the brand name and the distillery name part company?

fishnbowljoe
08-31-2009, 15:10
How true. How true. I never could get my head around Basil Hayden's lifeless presentation, but that's just me. Others will no doubt disagree but I've always found BH boring as hell. I can't wait to sit out in the garage with a few friends on a brisk autumnal Sunday afternoon and watch some football with a few beers and a bottle of Fighting Cock. You need something fairly robust for those occasions and FC should fit the bill.

I agree Hank. Maybe not lifeless, but a little dry, spiceyness was all I got, and not much else. Haven't tried FC yet. Might have to give it a whirl sometime. The closest liquor store to me does stock it. Might have to get a bottle one of these days. Joe

unclebunk
08-31-2009, 16:41
Haven't tried FC yet. Might have to give it a whirl sometime. The closest liquor store to me does stock it. Might have to get a bottle one of these days. Joe

I was actually quite surprised to find it. It seems I've been in a few hundred liquor stores in the last year or so on my dusty hunts and the FC never appeared on a shelf until a few days ago. Wild turkeys, fighting cocks, etc. My wife says it must all appeal to my inner bird brain!:lol:

fishnbowljoe
08-31-2009, 17:17
I was actually quite surprised to find it. It seems I've been in a few hundred liquor stores in the last year or so on my dusty hunts and the FC never appeared on a shelf until a few days ago. Wild turkeys, fighting cocks, etc. My wife says it must all appeal to my inner bird brain!:lol:

To quote Larry The Cable Guy "That's funny, I don't care who you are." Whenever I mention something about a bourbon I haven't had before, or about something new, my wife just says, "Oh really", and gives me the wife look. You know the look I'm talking about. :slappin: Joe

B3Nut
09-08-2009, 17:51
I've a mind to try this one too as it's $15.99 around here, but it's awfully hard not to pass it and grab Weller SR or my new fave cheapie OGD BIB. I'll probably try it sooner or later, though...