PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

WineGuy
03-26-2008, 22:42
How much whiskey will cause a hangover?

In my college days I drank beer all night with no limits. But if I drink too much hard liquers I can get sick.

I'm wondering how much whiskey most can drink before it will cause unwanted effects the next morning. What is the limit?

Sijan
03-26-2008, 22:45
Depends a lot on how well you stay hydrated during and after drinking. I'm not sure I've found a reliable number of drinks, but I'm often drinking two of the three of beer, wine, and/or whiskey in the same night.

barturtle
03-26-2008, 23:06
I guess first we have to assume that you are in good health, with no liver problems.

Second, for the most part simple math can provide some general answers.

1 oz of 100 proof whiskey is equal to ~ 12oz of beer (standard 4.5% or so swill) each will have about 1/2 an ounce of alcohol.

But while you only get a half oz of water to help keep you hydrated with the whiskey, you get 11.5 oz of water in the beer, along with some carbs and other things that act like food to help defray the effects.

Honestly, how often do many of us only pour 1 oz? and nurse that ounce for an hour?

Best policy: drink plenty of water, before during and after, slow consumption, and be mindful of your limits.

WineGuy
03-27-2008, 01:43
Honestly, how often do many of us only pour 1 oz? and nurse that ounce for an hour?

I've been drinking about 2-3 ounces of WT101 when I have bourbon. The reason I asked the original question is I want to drink more, but I don't know where the line is. I sip at a slow rate trying to identify all the flavors, but even at that pace, the 2-3 ounces is gone in 20 minutes. I don't feel like I am drinking as much as someone who slams 3 beers in 20 minutes.

JasonFalls
03-27-2008, 08:52
How much whiskey will cause a hangover?

In my college days I drank beer all night with no limits. But if I drink too much hard liquers I can get sick.

I'm wondering how much whiskey most can drink before it will cause unwanted effects the next morning. What is the limit?
I would guess it varies by person ... body weight, tolerance, etc. I'm in my mid-30s now, so I've gotten to the point of not liking hangovers enough to just learn my own limits. 3-4 beers or cocktails will make me groggy in the morning. That whole Drink Responsibly thing makes sense. Just learn your own limits and listen to your body.

felthove
03-27-2008, 09:34
Along with the hydration strategy, I've been employing a time limit after which I no longer drink. Research shows that alcohol consumption limits REM sleep so I like to go to bed without a buzz. Personally I go to bed around 9 and try to stop drinking around 7 pm. This means I have get home from work early to get a good couple of hours in!!

Huegeb
03-27-2008, 09:50
I've been drinking about 2-3 ounces of WT101 when I have bourbon. The reason I asked the original question is I want to drink more, but I don't know where the line is. I sip at a slow rate trying to identify all the flavors, but even at that pace, the 2-3 ounces is gone in 20 minutes. I don't feel like I am drinking as much as someone who slams 3 beers in 20 minutes.

I only have two bourbons each night at a pour of about 200 ml's each. I do not vary this for if I do I shall feel the affects in the morning hours.

Geb

barturtle
03-27-2008, 09:56
I only have two bourbons each night at a pour of about 200 ml's each. I do not vary this for if I do I shall feel the affects in the morning hours.

Geb

Are you sure about that 200 ml? That's more than a 1/4 of a bottle or 6.7 oz US (7 oz UK)

Huegeb
03-27-2008, 11:13
Are you sure about that 200 ml? That's more than a 1/4 of a bottle or 6.7 oz US (7 oz UK)

Yes. Some bottles just do not last long.:grin:

JamesW
03-27-2008, 11:13
I like to have about two pours of 1.5 oz each of 100 proof. I like the idea of consuming plenty of water during and after as well. Any more than that and I have a bit of a hangover in the a.m. which really isn't worth it. I'm going to follow the previous advice listed of not drinking right up to the bed deadline maybe leave an hour respite before lights out. Problem is that my kids go to bed about 8:30 which doesn't leave a lot of time for relaxing with a good pour before turning in. So much good bourbon so little time http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

DoubleT
03-27-2008, 11:17
Okay, this can get complicated fast so I will try to give this as simple as possible* while still being acurate.

The average human body, in good health, can process from the system and average of one ounce of beverage alcohol per hour. This includes everything that reacts with the alcohol, blood, lungs, liver, and kidneys. While staying hydrated is VERY important, it will not prevent you from becoming intoxicated. And being intoxicated is what causes the hangover.

As the body cleans (detoxes) itself it leads to the various physical issues, dry nouth, headache, etc. And those young kids who think if they eat bread after drinking it will absorb the alcohol; myth. The alcohol is absorbed directly into the blood through the stomach wall when you drink it. Water, while not preventing intoxication, does help the body process the alcohol. But not any faster, so the hour is still the rule.

Now, this will also be determined by the individual. The above is just the standard rule of thumb. If you are 6'9" and 300 pounds, in pro athlete condition, drink 64 oz of water every day and enjoy one to two drinks every day, you will probably be able to drink 2 per hour to my one (5'11" 180 lbs average shape) without being adversly affected. The best thing there is just to know your limits.

Now, as for 2-3 oz of WT 101 to 3 beers...you are actually drinking more and here's why; WT 101 is 50% alcohol by volume in 1 oz. The average beer is 3% - 30 % ABV, with the average beer consumed in the US being roughly 4-6%. Assuming you have 3 Blue Moon's, Shiner Bocks, Harps, etc. (6-8% ABV) you have had less ABV than in one WT 101.

However (there's always a but) the spirit will have fewer carbs, water, extras, etc. The water in beer does not count as water since it has been ferminted. And the higher sugars and carbs also cause a slight delay in processing. Remember, ABOUT an hour per drink. Beer in going to be on the high side. Spirits will process a little faster, especially if you conduming water (straight between drinks, and not trying to put down 4 or 5 per hour.

As you can see there is no hard fast answer since many different factors come into play. But if you in good physical condition, you aren't drinking on an empty stomach, and you hold your self to 2 drinks per hour (slowly) and drink plenty of water between drinks and stop drinking at leat 2-3 hours before going to bed then you should be fine as far as hangovers go. You aren't putting more in your body than it can hold, you are drinking slower, and stopping in time to let your body do it's thing.

On a professional note, remember this is for hangovers. Even 2 drinks taken within a 1 hour period on an empty stomach will impair you enough to slow your reflexes. More, even over time makes this worse. My way of saying drink responsibly and don't drive drunk. Hope this helps and wasn't completely boring.

* Not trying to insult anyone. The class police officers attend to understand to effects of alcohol on the human body and understanding the readings on an intoxilizor (breathalixer)for DUI is a weeek long so this is hard to condense to a couple of paragraphs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer)
Beer ranges from less than 3% alcohol by volume (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_by_volume) (abv) to almost 30% abv. The alcohol content of beer varies by local practice or beer style. The pale lagers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_lager) that most consumers are familiar with fall in the range of 46%, with a typical abv of 5%. The customary strength of British ales is quite low, with many session beers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_culture#Session_drinking) being around 4% abv.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_by_volume

liquor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquor) (aka spirits): Typically 35-45% and up, but recently introduced (U.S.) 'light' liquors are only 20%
"cask (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cask) strength" whisky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky) or rum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum): 60%

CorvallisCracker
03-27-2008, 11:46
When I get home from work I'll have 1.5 oz of something, usually bourbon but occasionally rye, Irish, Canadian or an aged rum. With dinner I have a single glass of wine, about 6oz (unless dinner is something that calls for beer, like pizza or chili, in which case I have a single 12oz beer).

The exception is when I'm evaluating something I've not previously had; then I have 1.5 oz of that and 1.5 oz of something comparable.

I don't drink after 7:30pm because it will exacerbate my snoring and apnea.

At parties, I pace myself. At the one we held on Saturday, I had three martinis over the first four hours (about 2.5 oz of 80 proof vodka in each), along with a fair amount of food. Over the last two hours I nursed 2 oz of PVW 15 in a snifter (had a cigar with that).

I've had only two hangovers in the last 30 years.

WhiskeyRiver
03-27-2008, 12:59
How much is too much?

Drink a gallon, if that is too much, adjust accordingly.

JasonFalls
03-27-2008, 13:02
How much is too much?

Man, that got me laughing!

WineGuy
03-27-2008, 14:27
I like to have about two pours of 1.5 oz each of 100 proof. I like the idea of consuming plenty of water during and after as well. Any more than that and I have a bit of a hangover in the a.m. which really isn't worth it.

In college I drank with the best of them. For a long time I could not shake that competitiveness. If someone else is drinking 5 per hour, then I am drinking 5 per hour. I have to change that way of thinking.

I agree, a hangover is not worth it.

3 ounces seems like a good limit to me. I'll have to make an ice tea or something else to drink on the side so I can nurse the bourbon longer.

I have to remind myself it is about the flavor and not quantity. I'll have to treat bourbon the same way I treat ice cream. One cup is the limit, even though I can eat the whole tub.

ggilbertva
03-27-2008, 16:35
I'll have to treat bourbon the same way I treat ice cream. One cup is the limit, even though I can eat the whole tub.

True, but a tub of ice cream won't make you act stupid or crash your car. :lol:

melting
03-27-2008, 17:31
I'm with James on this one. My kids go to bed around 8:30 also. I usually get up in the moring around 3:30 so I'm usually in bed by 9:30. Only an hour in between doesn't leave much time. I'll usually have one pour, probably around 2 ounces or so.

I have a slight build at 6'1" and around 170 pounds and have never had a high tolerance for alcohol. More than a couple of pours within a couple hours and I start having a tough time focusing on the television. Makes it awefully hard to watch the Sox that way.

I haven't had a hangover since high school 20 years ago and I plan to keep it that way. Although lately I've noticed that the morning after having some Old Grand Dad BIB I get a slight headache every time. It's too bad because it's one of my best bang for the buck pours.

Chris

shyster512
03-28-2008, 19:51
To prevent hangover ( other than controlling intake), after carousing, drink a coke with three advil. Tried it several times and it does work.

gblick
03-28-2008, 23:07
I always just drink a lot of water and I'm fine.
If it's a long Saturday night of drinking etc., I'll have lots of water between pours, then I'll drink at least two full cups of water before going to bed, and I always have a nice tall glass of water waiting for me on the night stand to drink as soon as I wake up. Works wonders.

No offense, but I don't think the Advil is a good idea at all. Isn't that stuff bad for your stomach, especially when drinking alcohol? And the Coke doesn't sound good to me either. I think it's the sweet stuff in many drinks that cause hangovers in the first place, but I might be mistaken.

shyster512
03-30-2008, 13:57
All I can say is try it. A doctor friend of mine told me it worked and all I can say is that I have tried it and it worked. He told me something the body produces (ADP or something like that) is affected by alcohol and the water balance of the body. The remedy seems to help that. I have had no problem with Advil and my stomach-others may have different experiences with that. The carbonation in the Coke is the key.

WineGuy
03-30-2008, 17:02
All I can say is try it. A doctor friend of mine told me it worked and all I can say is that I have tried it and it worked. He told me something the body produces (ADP or something like that) is affected by alcohol and the water balance of the body. The remedy seems to help that. I have had no problem with Advil and my stomach-others may have different experiences with that. The carbonation in the Coke is the key.

Could it be the electrolytes? If alcohol causes dehydration like a professional football player, then why not drink the stuff they use to get through a game?

spun_cookie
03-30-2008, 17:24
How much is too much?

For sure the post of the week:slappin:

WineGuy
03-30-2008, 19:49
To prevent hangover ( other than controlling intake), after carousing, drink a coke with three advil. Tried it several times and it does work.

I'll let you know how this works tomorrow. I drank more than I intended to. Instead of 3 ounces, I poured myself 3 glasses worth and drank close to 10 ouces tonight.

shyster512
03-30-2008, 21:15
Good luck!!!

jburlowski
04-03-2008, 17:41
Sorry...
... don't know yet.

Stu
04-03-2008, 19:22
The original question was how much can you drink without getting a hangover, not without getting drunk. I hate to admit it, but in my younger years I have been "falling down drunk" on more than one occasion. I normally drink neat with a large water chaser. I only remember one hangover, however. That came from drinking wine at a picnic. There was no water to drink, only wine. My body told me it needed water, but there was none to be had, so I drank more wine. The next morning I discovered what a hangover was. Since then I modified a rule taught to me in one of the survival schools I attended in the Air Force. "If you have no water, don't eat" was modified to include the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Works for me, but everyone is different.

callmeox
04-03-2008, 19:52
I observe the "8oz of water for each serving of alcohol" rule and it has served me well. I rarely see any residual effect the day after.

A group of us went out after work earlier this week and I didn't feel like bloating out on draft beer, so I ordered a WT101 neat and a tall glass of water chaser to keep hydrated. One of my co-workers joked that my whiskey/water choice was less than manly. He was drinking a wheat beer with a slice of citrus in it (something that I also enjoy now and again) so when he said "What's this? Is that stuff too much for you so you need to wash it down?" and I quickly replied "...says the guy with the chunk of fruit floating in his beer."

I got the smile and the 'ok, you got me' nod. :grin:

WineGuy
04-04-2008, 00:21
Since then I modified a rule taught to me in one of the survival schools I attended in the Air Force. "If you have no water, don't eat" was modified to include the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Works for me, but everyone is different.

Most food has water in it??

Stu
04-04-2008, 08:58
Most food has water in it??

When I attended Survival School at Stead AFB we spent a week in a POW camp. All of our guards were former POWs in Korea. The were not nice to us. After the initial interrogation we were put in solitary. The next day someone shoved a soup can under my door. It had a warm liquid in it that tasted like melted lard and salt, but I ate it. Later they filled my can with water and when they shoved it back under the door, it spilled (probably on purpose). I managed to set it up in time to get about 3 swallows. 3 days later I was seriously considering drinking my own urine. Consequently I do not eat or consume alcohol unless I have a supply of water available.

smokinjoe
04-06-2008, 08:50
The 750 ml you said elsewhere, that you drank Saturday, might constitute "too much", in my book. :skep:

JOE

HipFlask
04-06-2008, 21:15
I would say if you wake up the next day with a headache and certainly if you puke you've had too much. backoff from that point!

spun_cookie
04-06-2008, 21:22
A lot depends on your hidration level and your "other stuff" intake... lots of food and water over time whiel drinkning.... will be diffrent than not... Over a full day of drinking, eating and being marry, I am sure I could kill a bottle...

... in the evening over a couple ours... best to keep to a drink an hour... or less...

In general though, it has always been my phylosphy to drink less and drink better.... I like to savor the best stuff I can afford... and skip pounding cheap stuff.

ILLfarmboy
04-07-2008, 00:27
I have thought long and hard about how to answer this question. The problem is it is difficult to give an accurate estimate on how much is "my limit". I have a tendency to freshen my drink many times, pouring just a bit at a time.

I belive this is a carry-over from the same habit with food. You see, I'm an only child and my Mom would set the table so that all three of us could reach everything. Passing stuff, other than the salt or the catchup wasn't necessary. I would take 'at least' little bit of everything (that was a house rule) but after that my appetite and personal choice guided my hand. When I got married and would have dinner with my in-laws I learned pretty damn quick that if you didn't get all you thought you might want you just might not get a second shot at it.

If I had to say, I'd say that any more than five or so ounces of 107 proof over a period of three hours would be over my limit. Any more and I'm gonna have a hang over the next day.

fogfrog
04-12-2008, 14:38
I haven't drank much for the last few weeks. But have lost about ten pounds. I am 5'7 and went from 185 to about 175 partially because I took sudafed while having a cold.

About a month ago, I went on a business trip to Kansas City and went into the Grocery Store and wanted a half pint of something good. I didn't want any of the half pints. I almost bought nips, and instead bought a pint of Bulleit. I was amazed that I drank the whole thing. Now normally I only have two drinks, and I don't know how many are in a pint, but I didn't get a headache or any stomach problems at all! But I did feel a little calmed...... I was amazed. For some reason, a few hit me worse sleepwise (I wake up at night) than a whole pint! The bulleit is awesome. I wonder why no headache?

I believe stomach problems from drinking come more from Beer and Wine than Whiskey.

chilidawg7
04-12-2008, 14:50
my uncle used to tell me "When you can start to feel it, it's time to quit."

for some folks, when they begin to feel it is when they being to drink more in order to 'maintain' that feeling.

for me, i try to live by my uncle's suggestion. when i've disregarded those words is often when i end up feeling the effects the next day.

fogfrog
04-12-2008, 15:02
I always feel it no matter how little

chilidawg7
04-12-2008, 15:06
i'm 6'7, about 255, so it takes a little more for me to feel it.

this is a good thing, and a bad thing. :)

fogfrog
04-12-2008, 15:19
I am thinking that nicotine countereffects alcohol a little. I am sipping now with some Snus between my lip and gum and not feeling it. I also seem to remember when I used to drink a lot, I would go back to cigarettes and it would somehow stimulate me so I didn't feel so woozy.