PDA

View Full Version : new here, semi new to bourbon

veedubbin
03-27-2008, 16:53
I am from cincinnati, I've only been drinking bourbon for 2 hears now. I have toured woodford and buffalo trace. I am looking for some new brands to try, I prefer woodford to any I have had so far. Here is a list of what I have tried:
Woodford
Bulliet
Knob Creek
Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace
Blantons
Any suggestions are appreciated

CorvallisCracker
03-27-2008, 17:20
I am from cincinnati, I've only been drinking bourbon for 2 hears now. I have toured woodford and buffalo trace. I am looking for some new brands to try, I prefer woodford to any I have had so far. Here is a list of what I have tried:
Woodford
Bulliet
Knob Creek
Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace
Blantons
Any suggestions are appreciated

Greetings!

That's a pretty good sampling. I notice most of yor selections are in the $25-45 range.

I notice no "wheaters" (bourbons using wheat as the minority component, rather than rye). I'd suggest:

Weller 7/107 about $20
Maker's Mark about $25
Van Winkle 12yo Lot B about $40

Also check Sijan's list, posted in this forum.

Welcome to SB.com!

spun_cookie
03-27-2008, 20:47
Welcome to the group. Looks liek you got your feet wet... not for some more... .a toast to you sir and many happy pours

cowdery
03-27-2008, 21:10
Anyone who likes Woodford is a good candidate for its close relation, Old Forester, and also for Russell's Reserve Bourbon and Russell's Reserve Rye, which have a similar sensibility. You'd probably also like Ridgemont Reserve 1792. All of those are trying to hit more or less the same mark.

DoubleT
03-28-2008, 09:18
Greetings!

That's a pretty good sampling. I notice most of yor selections are in the $25-45 range.

I notice no "wheaters" (bourbons using wheat as the minority component, rather than rye). I'd suggest:

Weller 7/107 about $20
Maker's Mark about $25
Van Winkle 12yo Lot B about $40

Also check Sijan's list, posted in this forum.

Welcome to SB.com!
I agree with Scott, these would be a good choice. Of them I'm partial to Maker's Mark, but each of these has something for everyone's taste. I would also recommend Weller Special Reserve. A little less than the Weller 107 but still a nice flavor. And if you like the rye recipe bourbons, and you're in the mood for a bold taste, but not over powering, with a nice finish I would also recommend Fighting Cock. I know it's a bit much for some people when talking about pouring it on the rocks, but I like it.

A few others I like that are in the less expensive catagory are Jim Beam Black, Evan Williams Green Label and Old Heaven Hill BIB.

Welcome to SB. Everyone here has made me feel welcome so I think you will enjoy the site. Cheers.

NorCalBoozer
03-28-2008, 10:07
Welcome.

You can't lose with Eagle Rare single barrel. Usually around $25. really a bargain for a high quality bourbon.

HighTower
03-29-2008, 05:58
veedubin,

Welcome aboard!!

I would suggest trying to get a hold of some Weller 12yo, and also trying Elijah Craig 12yo. Maybe also a straight Rye like Rittenhouse BIB just for a comparison. It can be had for less than $15, where the others I mentioned are $20-$25.

The other recommendations that have been made are also ones to put on a list, and don't worry the list will never end! :grin:

Scott

Tennessee Dave
03-31-2008, 08:12
Welcome to the board! Be sure to try yourself some wheaters. For PV ratio hard to beat Old Weller Antique!