03-28-2008, 12:58
While out looking for Weller Centennial I picked up a bottle of
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
Bottled 11-02-06
Barrel No 137
Warehouse F
Rick No 49
dark wood top

This is the first I have since I got one that was bottled 2-07-07 light wood top last October that I was not very fond of.
Sipping today's purchase now, ahh this is the bird that I love.

New2Whiskey
03-28-2008, 13:05
I picked up George Dickel Original Tennessee Whisky No. 12.

Super. I like it! I picked up DALMORE Single Highland Mal 12 Years Scotch also.

Side by side: I like Dickel better. My opinion: As far as value goes (best bang for your buck): Dickel $20 over Dalmore $30

Current bourbon status:

I have 3 bourbons: Old Grand Dad, Buffalo Trace and todays Dickels. I say Buffalo Trace is best value. VERY similar to Dickel but a bit more spicer! (Dickel is considered Tennessee and not bourbon.....so not sure if that fits this question)

OscarV
03-29-2008, 03:37
I have 3 bourbons: Old Grand Dad, Buffalo Trace and todays Dickels. I say Buffalo Trace is best value. VERY similar to Dickel but a bit more spicer! (Dickel is considered Tennessee and not bourbon.....so not sure if that fits this question)

Dickel isn't bourbon but most of us here like it and welcome it.

spun_cookie
03-29-2008, 08:31
Another dozen Weller Centennials. The 13 yr is about gone. Bourbon fans, not scalpers have been buying it up left and right.

JamesW
03-29-2008, 08:40
Another dozen Weller Centennials. The 13 yr is about gone. Bourbon fans, not scalpers have been buying it up left and right.

Nice Spun, wish my wife would let me get a couple pallets myself (she already thinks I've lost it) so I'll just have to stick with my 12 http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif. What a great bourbon.

spun_cookie
03-29-2008, 08:49
It will definitly be my travel bourbon for a while. 1/2 a bottle a trip should be plenty for quite a while hahaha

fishnbowljoe
03-29-2008, 19:16
Well, I went out to a couple of places today to pick up some new bourbons to try. Decided on, 1.Wellers 12 year old, 2.1792 Ridgemont Reserve, and 3.Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel. Also snagged a bottle of Forty Creek Canadian Whiskey and a mini bottle of Bulleit Bourbon for my collection. Now I have to decide which one to try tonight. Any suggestions? Looking forward to your replies. Joe

callmeox
03-29-2008, 19:55
I went out looking for a bottle of Kentucky Spirit and ended up empty handed, although the store owner was happy to hear that it is available in Ohio so he's ordering a case (and I've got two bottles earmarked). I had to settle for some new tasting glasses from Crate and Barrel.

OscarV
03-29-2008, 20:11
I went out looking for a bottle of Kentucky Spirit and ended up empty handed, although the store owner was happy to hear that it is available in Ohio so he's ordering a case (and I've got two bottles earmarked). I had to settle for some new tasting glasses from Crate and Barrel.

When you get that Kentucky Spirit let us know what you think.

drli
03-29-2008, 22:09
5 bottles of Rip Van Winkle 10y 107p.
3 bottles of '07 George T. Stagg...still sealed in the factory box; with letter from Distillery.

Yes, really ... today.

SippinJim
03-30-2008, 13:10
Yesterday (3/29/08) was a Hirsch 16 year old, a Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old, Mitcher's Small Batch, Black Maple Hils 21 year old. I'm getting quite a collection. :)

A.H. Hirsch 16 year old
Bakers
Basil Hayden
Black Maple Hill
Black Maple Hill 21 year old
Blanton’s Single Barrel
Bookers
Bulleit
Colorado Whiskey
Eagle Rare
Elijah Craig
Evan Williams Single Barrel
George T. Stagg
Hancock Reserve Single Barrel
Jefferson’s Reserve
Knob Creek
Makers Mark
Mitcher’s Small Batch
Noah’s Mill
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old
Pogue Masters Select
Russell’s Reserve
Sam Houston Very Small Batch
Van Winkle 12 year old
Willets Bourbon
Woodford Reserve

CorvallisCracker
03-30-2008, 17:57
Yesterday (3/29/08) was a Hirsch 16 year old, a Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old, Mitcher's Small Batch, Black Maple Hils 21 year old. I'm getting quite a collection. :)

A.H. Hirsch 16 year old
Bakers
Basil Hayden
Black Maple Hill
Blanton’s Single Barrel
Bookers
Bulleit
Colorado Whiskey
Eagle Rare
Elijah Craig
George T. Stagg
Jefferson’s Reserve
Knob Creek
Makers Mark
Mitcher’s Small Batch
Noah’s Mill
Pogue Masters Select
Russell’s Reserve
Van Winkle 12 year old
Willets Bourbon
Woodford Reserve

I will likely be in San Diego on a business trip in about two months.

Expect a visit.

drli
03-30-2008, 19:16
Well, I went out to a couple of places today to pick up some new bourbons to try. Decided on, 1.Wellers 12 year old, 2.1792 Ridgemont Reserve, and 3.Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel. Also snagged a bottle of Forty Creek Canadian Whiskey and a mini bottle of Bulleit Bourbon for my collection. Now I have to decide which one to try tonight. Any suggestions? Looking forward to your replies. Joe

That would depend on if you wanted to drink the best 1st.. or the other way around.

I like the Elmer T. Lee, best of the bottles you listed.

drli
03-30-2008, 19:17

A.H. Hirsch 16 year old
Bakers
Basil Hayden
Black Maple Hill
Blanton’s Single Barrel
Bookers
Bulleit
Colorado Whiskey
Eagle Rare
Elijah Craig
George T. Stagg
Jefferson’s Reserve
Knob Creek
Makers Mark
Mitcher’s Small Batch
Noah’s Mill
Pogue Masters Select
Russell’s Reserve
Van Winkle 12 year old
Willets Bourbon
Woodford Reserve

I didnt know that Van Winkle 12 year old was available??

CorvallisCracker
03-30-2008, 19:28

The VW "Lot B" is a 12yo.

randytulsa2
03-30-2008, 19:30
Two 1.75's of Weller 12 y.o.

It's going to be a good spring...

drli
03-30-2008, 20:03
yea.. I just figured that out by myself... I came back to correct my post, but you beat me to it. i guess lot b... would of helped me figure it out more quickly.

NorCalBoozer
03-31-2008, 10:34
This weekend I visited about 6 stores. Picked up a Dickel because I tried a #8 and didn't like it all that much so thought I give it another shot.

Last stop was the best where i found some Saz and Ardbeg.

EC 12 for $12.99
Dickel #12 -$22
Sazerac 18 2007(2) - $59
Ardbeg 10 - $45

Slowpoke
03-31-2008, 15:22
Found a 2007 Eagle Rare 17-yr sitting on the shelf in a local liquor store. It is now mine. :cool:

sotnsipper
03-31-2008, 15:26
Today we made a trip through "Jack" and "George" country (Lynchburg and Tullahoma). I did happen to stop in and pick up a bottle of Bourbon. I ran across a bottle of Evan Williams white label. I cannot buy this stuff in my area. I bought a small bottle the last time I was in Chattanooga and really enjoyed it, so I got a bigger bottle today. I am pretty excited about kicking back with it tonight. I also found another bottle of Rittenhouse Rye about a week ago. The store that usually carries that in my area was out :cry:. I love a good glass of the Rittenhouse then finishing off with the Evan Williams. I have been stuck with the black label for some time so am pretty excited about the white label. I think I am going to pick up a bottle of either WT101 or JB Black this weekend. I have had the WT before and really enjoyed it but have not tried the JB as of yet, so I'll go with the smaller bottle. Still in search of the Old Granddad in my area. I do tend to lead towards the rye'd whiskeys more, I love the bite they have:bigeyes:.

sotnsipper
03-31-2008, 15:31
This weekend I visited about 6 stores. Picked up a Dickel because I tried a #8 and didn't like it all that much so thought I give it another shot.

Last stop was the best where i found some Saz and Ardbeg.

EC 12 for $12.99
Dickel #12 -$22
Sazerac 18 2007(2) - $59
Ardbeg 10 - $45

You should like the Dickle #12 a little better, I know I sure did:grin:!

drli
03-31-2008, 19:22
:shithappens:
Today we made a trip through "Jack" and "George" country (Lynchburg and Tullahoma). I did happen to stop in and pick up a bottle of Bourbon. I ran across a bottle of Evan Williams white label. I cannot buy this stuff in my area. I bought a small bottle the last time I was in Chattanooga and really enjoyed it, so I got a bigger bottle today. I am pretty excited about kicking back with it tonight. I also found another bottle of Rittenhouse Rye about a week ago. The store that usually carries that in my area was out :cry:. I love a good glass of the Rittenhouse then finishing off with the Evan Williams. I have been stuck with the black label for some time so am pretty excited about the white label. I think I am going to pick up a bottle of either WT101 or JB Black this weekend. I have had the WT before and really enjoyed it but have not tried the JB as of yet, so I'll go with the smaller bottle. Still in search of the Old Granddad in my area. I do tend to lead towards the rye'd whiskeys more, I love the bite they have:bigeyes:.

I would get the WT again and skip the jb black... as i think the wt is much better. I even think the EW black is better then jb black..... :hot: :shithappens:

SippinJim
04-01-2008, 08:01

Yep, A local higher end liquor store has a few bottles of it.

wildcatdon
04-01-2008, 10:54
I bought a bottle of 12 yr old,Old Charter..they only had 3 bottles left in the Liquor Barn on Hurstbourne Lane in Louisville..LB has virtually no Rip Van Winkle...Only 3 bottles of the 90 proof 10 yr old..Wish they would get more in...and soon..

Tennessee Dave
04-01-2008, 12:38
Small purchase today:

WT Rare Breed
Liter of WT 101
PVW 20 yo

:cool:

ThomasH
04-01-2008, 22:59
I finally located a bottle of Old Kentucky Tavern BIB. I have been looking for a bottle for quite some time. A few days ago, thanks to a fellow SB member, I found out that Ohio's Liquor Control Dept. had updated its website. I looked through the bourbon listings and found it on the list. I made a call and found out a store a few miles from my workplace had some. Even though it isn't a dusty, I'm still glad to finally have a bottle!

Thomas

ggilbertva
04-02-2008, 16:08
Found a number of bottles of Old Fitz BIB DSP-KY16 (sorry they are spoken for) and also picked up a bottle of Willett Pot Still. Not a bad day of shopping.

ggilbertva
04-03-2008, 15:18
Went shopping today and did something I promised my wife I wouldn't do....buy bourbon. My store isn't open yet and as such I don't have income coming in so therefore, bourbon purchases have been on hold since late last year. I was doing some dusty looking over the last couple of days and today I was struck by bourbon demon. My brother and I walked into a store today and lo and behold what was on the shelf?

2x 2000 Saz 18
1x 2000 ER 17

I had no choice but to purchase both of the Saz 18's and the ER 17. My wife has been somewhat understanding.....:rolleyes:

I also found a 1984 Old Overholt, a couple 200's of Early Times KSBW from early 80's, maybe even late 70's (no UPC) and a tax stamped Town Tavern of which I know nothing about.

mgilbertva
04-03-2008, 19:54
Greg and I teamed up on this trip. For the rest of the trip, including the rest of a 2000 BTAC collection, luck under Collectibles, or click here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7142&page=9).

spun_cookie
04-03-2008, 20:18
I go my Very Old St Nick 25yr in today ... I want to open it, but need to kill some bottles first...

ggilbertva
04-03-2008, 20:31
I go my Very Old St Nick 25yr in today ... I want to open it, but need to kill some bottles first...

Don't you hate that? I have bottles that I would like to open but resist in order to maintain a reasonable number of open bottles. I know, I know....if you have it...drink it. I have over 200 bottles and I don't think it would be good to open that many. I keep somewhere between 15-20 bottles open at a time.

birdman1099
04-03-2008, 20:57

Very nice. you seem to be acquiring quite a few "very aged" bourbons lately.

Keep us posted on your tasting notes !!!

bigtoys
04-03-2008, 22:34
Pappy 15 and Lot B, signed by JvW III

spun_cookie
04-03-2008, 22:51
Don't you hate that? I have bottles that I would like to open but resist in order to maintain a reasonable number of open bottles. I know, I know....if you have it...drink it. I have over 200 bottles and I don't think it would be good to open that many. I keep somewhere between 15-20 bottles open at a time.

Well, I have found that the tastes are changing on many of my favorites... I really want to keep them around, but they are not going to be the same in a year... I need to enjoy them before they lose what I like about them....

I know that this will bring some flame, but I think that you need to drink an open bottle within 6 months... after that, it just is not the same... although a never opened bottle will last years (many years) a half open bottle does not......

DoubleT
04-04-2008, 13:47
Today I picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig & Old Grand Dad. I realized after I got home I missed picking one up but I'll take care of that tomorrow.

Mike R
04-04-2008, 14:36
OGD BIB and Buffalo Trace. Both of these were early in my journey and time to revist them.

Mike

ggilbertva
04-04-2008, 19:13
2 each Weller Special Reserve. $15 each.

callmeox
04-05-2008, 10:57
WT Kentucky Spirit finally hit my local store, so I grabbed a bottle today.

It's been hell week for me on-call and I've not gotten more than 3-4 hours of uninterrupted sleep all week. I'm going to enjoy a pour of this after my nap. :cool:

snakster
04-05-2008, 11:09
Elmer T. Lee for the first time. Last week restocked my 'staple' Buffalo Trace.

squire
04-05-2008, 12:48
A 1.75 of Ten High. I'm working on the perfect Manhattan.

NorCalBoozer
04-07-2008, 12:44
Pappy 15 and Lot B, signed by JvW III

I picked these two up this weekend as well, without the signatures. This two seem to be harder to come by. Especially the PVWFR 15.

texascarl
04-07-2008, 15:06
Ezra Williams white label/Bonded plus Grant's Scotch and Sailor Jerry rum.

spun_cookie
04-07-2008, 22:15
Tonight my Rare Perfection 21 and 25 yr, American Cowboy 20yr and Old man Winter 25yr showed up...

HighTower
04-08-2008, 02:16
I love those Rare Perfection and Old Man Winter bottles, they are pretty classy looking.

Scott

Tipped
04-08-2008, 10:19
Picked up WT101 last Friday. As a true beginer, I thought I'd compare it against my existing collection: JB White and Basil Hayden.

JB White: the opposite of smooth (but drinkable)
BH: Smooth, but a little bland
WT101: Nice taste, but strong (I preferred a few ice cubes to mellow it)

The next night, I made a couple Manhattan's with the WT101 for some company and myself. We all agreed the WT101 was too strong, and threw off the balance of the drink. At this point, I prefer the JB White for a Manhattan.

spun_cookie
04-08-2008, 11:20
I love those Rare Perfection and Old Man Winter bottles, they are pretty classy looking.

Scott

They are that indeed. I am hoping that they taste as classy as the look.

Took some tax money and did what the Gov hops... I spent it.. on all the 25 yr bourbon's I could find. One of these days when I get down to 10-12 open bottles, I am going to open then for a tasting...

sotnsipper
04-08-2008, 11:53
While out shopping this past weekend, I finally ran across some OGD 114 in my area! I had already had my mind set on the WT 101 so I passed on the OGD this week. When the WT is gone, OGD will be mine! I have heard it was high rye, which I like and am looking forward to enjoying it soon!

Whiskey Willie
04-08-2008, 11:55
Restocked the WTRB, Weller Special Reserve, 107 Antique...

sotnsipper
04-08-2008, 11:58
Picked up WT101 last Friday. As a true beginer, I thought I'd compare it against my existing collection: JB White and Basil Hayden.

JB White: the opposite of smooth (but drinkable)
BH: Smooth, but a little bland
WT101: Nice taste, but strong (I preferred a few ice cubes to mellow it)

The next night, I made a couple Manhattan's with the WT101 for some company and myself. We all agreed the WT101 was too strong, and threw off the balance of the drink. At this point, I prefer the JB White for a Manhattan.

If you can locate some Rittenhouse Rye in your area, that is the best stuff for making a Manhattan. If you cannot find Rittenhouse, try Fighting Cock(a bit on the hot side) or Old Grand Dad, anything with a high Rye content. Just don't go by way of a Canadian Whiskey to get the rye flavor, it's not there.

CorvallisCracker
04-08-2008, 14:01
Four bottles of Weller Antique, since it's apparently going to be scarce for a while.

razerburnt
04-08-2008, 18:31
Complete 07 BTAC plus 2 06 ER17 and 2 Vintage 17. Also 4 OCPR 13 yo. My wallet is still smoking.

Rake
04-09-2008, 01:35
A bottle of Rare Breed dated '99. The best thing about it was the price, which was lower than the current WTRBs go for by a couple bucks.

Also picked up a current Evan Williams Black (NAS), for a virtual mini-tasting with Dr. François and AC Detroit later this week.

doubleblank
04-09-2008, 15:34
I decided I'd better start getting the remaining Tributes off the shelves here in Houston. Paid $89 today for the last one I know about. Left an OCPR 13yo BHC on the shelf though and lots of American Spirit.

Randy

JamesW
04-09-2008, 18:16
Finally picked up a Bakers and also found a Weller Special Reserve that hasn't been around my parts... never tried either but I am drinking the Bakers now and enjoying it immensely.

scratchline
04-09-2008, 23:00
Acquired a costly treasure: Kentucky Tavern BIB 1952/1960. Hope this one has weathered the years. Will have to save it for a special occasion.

-Mike

ggilbertva
04-10-2008, 11:07
Acquired a costly treasure: Kentucky Tavern BIB 1952/1960. Hope this one has weathered the years. Will have to save it for a special occasion.

-Mike

Mike,

Terrific find! Be sure to share some tasting notes when you do eventually open that up. Hope things are going well for you.

barturtle
04-10-2008, 16:41
A couple EW BIB, another Lot 40 and some Highland Park 12yo all came home with me today.

callmeox
04-10-2008, 21:09
I decided that I would enjoy my favorites more if I had some backup bottles on hand, so I expanded my collection by a couple of bottles of Lot B, and Weller 12 and I also added Weller SR, WLW BTAC '07 and the Bernheim Wheat.

I think I need to stop for a bit. :grin:

HighTower
04-11-2008, 02:10
I think I need to stop for a bit. :grin:

WHY??!?!:grin:

NorCalBoozer
04-11-2008, 11:48
Last night i picked up 2 ORVW 10/107 Frankfurt. $28.99/ea.

mmmm mmmmm mmmmmm

felthove
04-11-2008, 12:54
Picked up Vintage 17, Bakers, EW 1793, Elmer T. Lee, OGD 114.

Looking forward to trying the Vintage 17 for the first time...

Also anxious to see if the last bottle of ETL I bought that tasted like charcoal to me was an off bottle...

Wondering if the asparagus I failed to notice in my last bottle of 1783 will materialize like it has for others...

Finally, anxious to see if the hint of chocolate and loads of spice I picked up and remember from my last bottle of Baker's is still there...

It'll be a busy weekend :cool:

dcb
04-11-2008, 13:08
restocked some cheapies, 2 OGD BIBs, 1 Old Overholt, and a half gallon of EWB for $16. shots for the band.

Ryan
04-11-2008, 20:07
I am on my way to pick up my first bottle of Elmer T. Lee!:grin:

crazyj23
04-11-2008, 22:03
Wild Turkey Rare Breed WT-03RB

razerburnt
04-12-2008, 07:26
4 VROHH. Very hard to find now.

OscarV
04-12-2008, 12:48
6 more bottles of Weller Centennial that was bottled for Julio's Liquors.
It's a 13 yo btw.
I did not know FedEx delivered on Saturday.

The Sazerac Rye that is not from the BTAC is referred to as Baby Saz.
A few months ago I has drinking Eagle Rare 101 10yo New Orleans bottle and it was very similar to GTStagg, the same praline and pecans, I dubbed it Baby Stagg.
Last night I had some William Larue Weller from the 2007 BTAC followed up by some of Julios Centennial and I gotta say it is very similar to the WLW, the same carmel and dark fruits, so I now christian this Centennial as Baby Larue.

chilidawg7
04-12-2008, 12:51
Picked up some WLW Centennial from the local ABC.

fishnbowljoe
04-13-2008, 00:39
OFBB 2006. Don't know when I'll try it though. Joe

bromike666
04-13-2008, 08:33
My first day hunting bourbon at an actual store and not over the internet.

2 ORVW 15/107 hand numbered
1 ORVW 10/107 hand numbered
1 LARGE size Weller Antique

razerburnt
04-13-2008, 09:12
My first day hunting bourbon at an actual store and not over the internet.

2 ORVW 15/107 hand numbered
1 ORVW 10/107 hand numbered
1 LARGE size Weller Antique

Good for you on the ORVW. especially the 15's!

jburlowski
04-13-2008, 12:41
My wife sent me to get invitations for this year's Derby Party. I did... along with: EC 12, ETL, EWSB 1998, OF 100, PVW 15, and a coupla OC Classic 90's (stockpiling these to replace the now gone OCPR).

Not much Weller to be found in these parts so I grabbed the remaining bottle of a SB bottling of OWA 107.

Sleepies
04-13-2008, 15:59
1792 - very happy with it

dcb
04-14-2008, 09:01
^ I was just about to post that I bought a 1792 and really like it. First sip reminded me of knob creek. Who makes this?

chilidawg7
04-14-2008, 16:36
Old Forester 86 proof. College buddies coming to town, so we need a little OF and Coke (or Root Beer) to reminisce.

HighTower
04-14-2008, 16:40
^ I was just about to post that I bought a 1792 and really like it. First sip reminded me of knob creek. Who makes this?
1792 is made by Barton.

Scott

PhilsFan
04-14-2008, 16:54
Since Liquor Barn was out of it, I bought Antique 107 for the same price ($19) at Expressway Liquors off the U of L campus on Lee near I-65.
Expressway has a decent selection of bourbon, but no where near what LB has (usually)
-Joe

fishnbowljoe
04-14-2008, 19:26
Made a haul tonight. A friend of mine manages a local bar. He's been trying to get rid of some of their stuff that doesn't sell. Stuff that's been in their liquor room for a few months. I got three unopened 1 liter bottles of Knob Creek, one open 1 liter bottle of Knob Creek, (about 90% full), and five unopened 750 ml bottles of Jim Beam Black. The whole ball of wax for $100.00. Talk about getting lucky. Things like this just don't happen to me very often. Well, looks like I'm stocked up for a while. If I make it to the June Sampler or the KBF, I know what I'll be bringing. Gonna have some Knob Creek right now to celebrate. Joe

chilidawg7
04-14-2008, 19:34
Made a haul tonight. A friend of mine manages a local bar. He's been trying to get rid of some of their stuff that doesn't sell. Stuff that's been in their liquor room for a few months. I got three unopened 1 liter bottles of Knob Creek, one open 1 liter bottle of Knob Creek, (about 90% full), and five unopened 750 ml bottles of Jim Beam Black. The whole ball of wax for $100.00.

Joe - I need friends like that!

drunkenjayhawk
04-16-2008, 00:18
Today I came home with a J Beam Black 750ml, WT rare breed 375ML and a non bourbon J Daniels black 750 ml

wadewood
04-16-2008, 06:57
Found a 2001 Saz 18 for $38 and also picked up a couple of BHC OCPR.

Virus_Of_Life
04-16-2008, 18:45
Not purchased today but a couple of days ago and I wanted to post a Thank You to Bromike for the heads up on these.

Its a wonder how a distributer can 'lose' bottles for a while, but I am sure glad they found them!

The one seems to have a minor leak under the cap that I didn't notice until I got home, so I'll have to open that one first and make sure there is no glass chipping under the lid or anything... Maybe it should get sent to the SB.com Lab for further analysis? :skep:

chilidawg7
04-16-2008, 19:10
Not purchased today but a couple of days ago and I wanted to post a Thank You to Bromike for the heads up on these.

Its a wonder how a distributer can 'lose' bottles for a while, but I am sure glad they found them!

The one seems to have a minor leak under the cap that I didn't notice until I got home, so I'll have to open that one first and make sure there is no glass chipping under the lid or anything... Maybe it should get sent to the SB.com Lab for further analysis? :skep:

very nice Christian!

i did not purchase it today, but through the generosity of a trade with another SB.com member, I received a bottle of the BTAC WLW 05. Will be tasting it shortly...

ACDetroit
04-16-2008, 19:54
1980 Liter Old Taylor (tax stamp) ND juice but 80 proof not 86 did not know that until I got home.

1980 500ml bottle Old Taylor BIB green tax stamp.

For you Michigan guys lookin at Ann Arbor Trail and Middlebelt there's a store called Vintage Market. He has 2 bottles of WTRR 101 but he wanted $32 plus tax so I left them.

Also picked up 2 Jim Beam 7 yr old 80 proof bottles??? Not sure what these are never seen them before.

Tony

TNbourbon
04-16-2008, 21:19
I picked up the last three Van Winkle ryes I knew of locally. Will bring at least a pair of them to the Sampler, should anyone be in need. PM me.
By the way, the same store also has (pending prior sale, of course) three Parker's HCs. I didn't check the proof, but the 127.4 is the only one I've seen, to date, distributed here. Again, PM me if you're heading to Bardstown and can't find it.
And, should anyone still want a Thedford Reserve:skep: :rolleyes: ...

mgilbertva
04-17-2008, 10:55
Thanks to the generosity of a fellow sb member, I worked out a trade where I received 2 F05 GTS and a 2005 WLW.

Rake
04-17-2008, 15:47
Mr. Postman brought a couple bottles of RR101!

W00t!:bowdown:

ILLfarmboy
04-17-2008, 16:59
Not today, but this past Monday I picked up one bottle of '07 Handy, one '07 Stagg and a bottle of Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. I've also arranged through a trade to acquire two more bottles of the '07 Handy

Here's a pick of Monday's haul.

mgilbertva
04-17-2008, 19:10
Heh, that's quite the Handy haul. How you holding up on baby Saz, Brad?

ILLfarmboy
04-17-2008, 19:22
Mark,

I've been meaning to get back to you on the Baby Saz question you asked earlier. I'm still good. I've got one full bottle and three fourths of an oppen bottle.

It looks like I'll be getting down to Peoria (where I can buy Baby Saz) on a monthly basis. My dog's eye medicine, the Cyclosporin, the vet doesn't like to mail the stuff. But thank you very much for the offer.

By the way, if you haven't tried the Stranahan's, I recommend you give it a try. It is youngish, but it really grows on you.

Moonshine Mike
04-17-2008, 19:57
Just picked up a ER10yr and OC 12yr...the wife actually picked out the Eagle. Also picked up a Mellow BIB. I'm liking the ER so far......

wadewood
04-17-2008, 20:21
Jefferson Reserve, with the 15YO statement

BourbonJoe
04-17-2008, 20:23
Jefferson Reserve, with the 15YO statement
Nice find Wade. Good stuff.
Joe :usflag:

mech82000
04-18-2008, 15:41
Scored a 3 pack (case) of 07 Stagg today! Store owner even applied 10%
case discount.
I bought 2 bottles last fall, was down to half a bottle of this fine nectar.
Was about 75 miles from home on the job this a.m. drove by a large spirit shop, stopped in to check it out, walked w/Stagg!
Had been saving the 1/2 bottle in cabinet for an occasion, just so happens that occasion is right now.
Bumps,
Carl

drunkenjayhawk
04-18-2008, 19:45
I got a 375ml and a 1.75L of Old Charter 10yo (now have the 200ml, 1L and 750ml - do they make a mini?). Non bourbon were 1 750 of Platte Valley corn whiskey and 1 750 Dos Gusanos (two worms) mezcal - mainly got the last one to gross out the wife. :lol:

jbaker
04-18-2008, 22:54
Scored an Old Fitzgerald 1849 for 13.60 and damn is that a fine wheater.

jburlowski
04-19-2008, 13:17
Found a copule of EWSB 1995 for the bunker.

gothbat
04-19-2008, 13:35
Grabbed a bottle of WT Tribute in a nice little store I found. Pretty surprised to see that he still had some considering the fact that the manager was telling me about how his upper shelf stock is pretty much all selected by enthusiasts. Might give this one a try tonight, I figure it would be a good idea to open it while I still have some AS open.
At the same store I also found some French cider that I've never seen before, Bordelete Sydre Argelette (2002 vintage). It was pricey and the only other vintage cider I had wasn't so great but I figured what the hell.

HipFlask
04-19-2008, 16:08
Messing around in Madison, WI. Went into the Weary Traveler Bar near downtown for a burger. Then I stumbled into Star Liquer which was right next door. Found a very good selection Bourbons, scotches and Ryes. Walked out with 3 PVW 15 yr. Dam fine Whiskey if I do say so myself. I need to sneek back and get the 2 handys he had on the shelf. Diffineatly a good store to stumble into.

gblick
04-19-2008, 20:11
Today at one store I picked up a couple of Weller 12's with the older style bottle (like that of the SR & Antique), and the bottles are dated 2000 & 2001.

At another store I picked up a gold-veined 1995 Louisville bottle of Weller Antique 107, and a 1.75L 1997 Louisville bottle of Weller Special Reserve 90.

Fantastic prices on all of them!

spun_cookie
04-19-2008, 23:48
I did all the dusty huntin' you can do in Tucson (hit all the liquor stores) and came up with two WT 86.6 proofs from 1986 (never had it befor, but they were only $13 for 750ml) and a Aug 5, 2000 WTKS. I have heard that is good.

The find of the night was a bottle of Pyrat rum cask 1623 for $70 instead of the $250 that it is everywhere else!!!! yeah-yeah

jbaker
04-20-2008, 07:52
Last night's purchase was Old Ezra 7 yr 101, a dusty Ancient Ancient Age 10 star, and a liter or Henry McKenna. I paid less than $15 for each of them.

Phischy
04-20-2008, 09:33
Last night I did a little hunting and found a BTAC ER from 2003! The lettering on the year is a bit hard to read, so it's either '03 or '05. My buddy who works in a bank swears it's an '03. But I'll post a pic for ya'll to judge. Either way, '05 or '03, it was still only 59 bucks!

CorvallisCracker
04-20-2008, 10:43
The find of the night was a bottle of Pyrat rum cask 1623 for $70 instead of the $250 that it is everywhere else!!!! yeah-yeah

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they have only one?

Phischy
04-20-2008, 10:54
http://www.thevl.com/temp/BTACER03.JPG

spun_cookie
04-20-2008, 11:03
Distilled in 1986 and bottles in 2003 (17 yrs). You are correct... it is 2003

Phischy
04-20-2008, 11:10
Nice! Hard to imagine this has just been sitting there. Although it was on the shelf 2nd to the bottom. Next time I'm down in Chula Vista I may have to do some more hunting.

Oh, and if anybody is looking for Baby Saz, it's all over Coronado.

JamesW
04-20-2008, 13:04
Picked up another WLW Special Reserve for the bunker for $13 given all the talk of possible shortages etc... I like this for travel or for anywhere I might want to leave the bottle.

mgilbertva
04-20-2008, 22:44
Thanks to the generosity of a fellow sb'er, I extended my EWSB collection to 1988, an Old Charter 12yr 90pf, and a little 200ml of J.W. Dant BIB with a tax stamp.

Thanks Dan!

T47
04-21-2008, 08:02
Thanks to an SB member for passing it along, my Father-in-law in AZ was able to pick my up a Weller Centennial.
He is a snow bird who lives in AZ from Oct through May. I think after walking into a Bevmo for the first time he will add that to his list of where to take visitors, he was really impressed. We don't have stores like that in WA., and he had never seen one in his short time in AZ.

:toast:

Rake
04-21-2008, 14:46
A trip to my favorite liquor store, Daveco, yielded the following:

ER17 '06
EC12
OC12 (The Classic 90)
PVW15

They just received the "Hirsch Selection" 20yo, but at almost twice the price of Pappy 15 I don't see myself being tempted any time soon.

PhilsFan
04-21-2008, 17:13
Many thanks to Spun_Cookie, who through his excellent math skills convinced me that it would be much cheaper to buy a bottle of PVW23
and split the cost with two friends, than to buy a shot at the place down the street. Per Spun's suggestion, I got the "B" version, Bottle # B4462.

It was $199 for the bottle at Party Mart on Brownsboro Rd. Each of us got 250ml of PVW23 for a little over $66 apiece...that's less than $13.50 per 1.5oz pour, rather than $36 a pour at MM Tavern or $47 at The Brown.

My boss, Don, one of those bourbon fans, insisted that I decant their portions in his office rather than the kitchen, so that Pappy smell would linger there! (In fact, Don spent the rest of the day breathing deeply through his nose like the folks in those Febreze commercials do)

-Joe

spun_cookie
04-21-2008, 17:30
Many thanks to Spun_Cookie, who through his excellent math skills convinced me that it would be much cheaper to buy a bottle of PVW23
and split the cost with two friends, than to buy a shot at the place down the street. Per Spun's suggestion, I got the "B" version, Bottle # B4462.

It was $199 for the bottle at Party Mart on Brownsboro Rd. Each of us got 250ml of PVW23 for a little over $66 apiece...that's less than $13.50 per 1.5oz pour, rather than $36 a pour at MM Tavern or $47 at The Brown.

My boss, Don, one of those bourbon fans, insisted that I decant their portions in his office rather than the kitchen, so that Pappy smell would linger there! (In fact, Don spent the rest of the day breathing deeply through his nose like the folks in those Febreze commercials do)

-Joe

Good show sir.... let me know how much your enjoy it :bis: (yes, that is presumptuous :grin: )

PhilsFan
04-22-2008, 17:20
In the process of looking for ORVW 10/107 (doesn't seem to be any in Louisville right now, but Toddy's in Bardstown has it) I found VOB 100 BIB...at Our Place Liquors on Poplar Level Rd. Previously, the only VOB I had seen was the 86, so when I saw the 100 I picked one up.

-Joe

ggilbertva
04-22-2008, 17:59
In the process of looking for ORVW 10/107 (doesn't seem to be any in Louisville right now, but Toddy's in Bardstown has it) I found VOB 100 BIB...at Our Place Liquors on Poplar Level Rd. Previously, the only VOB I had seen was the 86, so when I saw the 100 I picked one up.

-Joe

Joe,

The VOB BIB is a really great pour, and for the price, it's a terrific value. Let us know your thoughts when you try it.

felthove
04-22-2008, 22:18
I'm on travel in La Jolla, CA and hit up a premium grocery store w/a nice selection of bourbons.

I haven't been able to find any of the GTS in the Seattle area (home) but they had 3 2008's on the shelf at $59.99. I snagged two and left one for the next guy. I also picked up a Willet Single Barrel Estate Reserve for $49.99.

I also bought some bubble wrap for the plane ride home since I cannot carry these home. Wish me luck in getting them back safely!

bromike666
04-23-2008, 14:49
I promised myself I wouldn't buy more Bourbon until I finished a few bottles that I had opened...... DOH!

Todays damage;
1 GTS 137
1 ER 17
2 PVW 13 rye
2 SAZ 18

Just gotta sneak em by the GF:bigeyes:

Virus_Of_Life
04-23-2008, 15:48
I promised myself I wouldn't buy more Bourbon until I finished a few bottles that I had opened...... DOH!

Todays damage;
1 GTS 137

Just gotta sneak em by the GF:bigeyes:

Are you kidding me?!?! Am I reading that right, you found a 137.6 GTS?!? If so, good for you!!

Did they have more than one?... Yeah right, I know.

HipFlask
04-23-2008, 16:22
I'm on travel in La Jolla, CA and hit up a premium grocery store w/a nice selection of bourbons.

I haven't been able to find any of the GTS in the Seattle area (home) but they had 3 2008's on the shelf at $59.99. I snagged two and left one for the next guy. I also picked up a Willet Single Barrel Estate Reserve for $49.99.

I also bought some bubble wrap for the plane ride home since I cannot carry these home. Wish me luck in getting them back safely!

Good luck, I guess worst case would be a terrific smelling suitcase. :bigeyes:
I really hope you made it.

Phischy
04-24-2008, 10:05

I live in San Diego...which store are you talking about? The Bevmo? Not exactly a grocery store.... I have enough GTS '08 but if you found a joint I'm not familiar with....

fishnbowljoe
04-24-2008, 15:07
I'm on vacation in Florida. While out and about being a tourist, we stopped by a couple of liquor stores. Picked up a bottle of ORVW 10 90 proof at one place, and a bottle of WRFG at the other. Hope I can get them home without any problems. You know how those airline baggage handlers can be. I almost can't wait. I finally get to try a Van Winkle product. :grin: Joe

Tennessee Dave
04-24-2008, 15:22
PVW 20
WT Rare Breed
Dickel 12
VW Lot B

spun_cookie
04-25-2008, 00:39
13 yr Weller Centennial
PH 122.6

JamesW
04-25-2008, 11:24
13 yr Weller Centennial
PH 122.6

Emerald, You back in Boston?

felthove
04-25-2008, 11:59
I live in San Diego...which store are you talking about? The Bevmo? Not exactly a grocery store.... I have enough GTS '08 but if you found a joint I'm not familiar with....

Jonathan's on Fay in downtown. I am travelling this afternoon so my goods are still in tact and I will tell you all tomorrow if I/they made it! I went bubble wrap crazy...

They also have ORV 10/107, some VanWinkle 12 lot b, Weller Centennial, and an old Potrero. Weller Antique and Blanton's are present as well

OscarV
04-25-2008, 13:02
I tried to buy a bottle of WT101 today, but the small independant grocery store down the road from me only carries JB White Label.
First time I realized this.

Chupacabras
04-25-2008, 15:00
Think I'll pick up a bottle of the PH 122.6 on my way home tonight, good idea. I like to pick up one non-replacement fifth a week anyways so this is as good a bottle as any other.

jburlowski
04-25-2008, 15:33
Found a couple of 1.75L bottles of Weller 12. I normally don't go for the big bottles but these days a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do....

OscarV
04-25-2008, 15:44
I normally don't go for the big bottles but these days a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do....

I heard that!

,...................<-those things over there are just numerical symbols so that I'd have the required digits to post a response.

bromike666
04-25-2008, 16:04
Bad news about my GTS 137, UVA in NYC says that can't ship liquor out of state and canceled my order:hot: Anyone in Brooklyn should go check it out, they said they had one bottle. I can't confirm that it is the 137 but if your in the hood it might be worth dropping by.

Chupacabras
04-25-2008, 17:55
I did pick up the PH and I totally get why people mistake it for a wheater. Very interesting bourbon, gonna have to experiment a bit to find just the right amount of water to cut this with.

StraightBoston
04-25-2008, 18:23
Trying to pick up a Rittenhouse Rye BIB -- which I failed to accomplish -- I ended up with:

Eagle Rare 17yo (Fall 2007)
Old Grand Dad 114 (dusty-ish... "90" stamped on the bottle)
2 Evan Williams Black 1.75L (dusty-ish... still labeled "7 years")

from 3 different stores!

PhilsFan
04-27-2008, 10:57
While in Bardstown yesterday, I stopped into Toddy's to pick up an ORVW 10/107 ($35) and ended up picking up an EC 18 ($42). Turns out, I took the Heaven Hill tour and ended up sampling EC 18 (very different from most I've tried but I like it) And then at the Gazebo, sampled the ORVW 10/107 and the ORVW 15/107, like 'em both a lot...wish the 15 was still around.
-Joe

doubleblank
04-28-2008, 15:52
In keeping with Joe's "What did I get during the Bardstown Sampler", I bought or traded for the following:

Willett's Pot Still Bottle
BTEC Cab Franc
FR SB
FR Small Batch
VOB 6yo 100proof
AAA 10yo
ORVW Blue Smoke 18yo
Van Winkle Family Reserve 16yo (Bottled in 1984)
Parker's Heritage 2nd Release
Charter 101

I posted a pic under "2008 Sampler"

These make one want to get to KY and the Sampler more often.

Randy

spun_cookie
04-28-2008, 19:09
got in 3 2006 ER 17yr... thank you Rake....

mgilbertva
04-29-2008, 18:39
Yesterday I was able to obtain some Willett Family Reserve 7 yr bourbon (details under Collectibles/Dusty Hunting (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=120555&postcount=108)). I put another bottle on reserve, plus a 6 yr Willett and if all goes well, another 15 yr. I haven't had the 6 yr, but the 7 and especially the 15 are outrageously good. None of these are the Pot Still version, BTW.

fishnbowljoe
04-29-2008, 21:56
Didn't purchase, but won a bottle of Templeton Rye at a bowling banquet tonight. Joe

spun_cookie
04-29-2008, 23:37
Got a ORVW in and a Blantons Silver

drunkenjayhawk
04-29-2008, 23:55
Got in 2 bottle of Jim Beam White - one on the bottom has a 2 digit of 69 and is 86 proof. The other shows no date and is 80 proof. Both are tax strip era and show just 5 generations of beams the side of the bottle. Best thing was they were only 15 dollars + shipping. Also expecting a 1985 Old Fitz , 10 year Eagle Rare. Times is good.

blux
04-30-2008, 13:30
One bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel (39.95).

ggilbertva
04-30-2008, 14:03
Received in trade a Blue Wax Hirsch. Thank you!

spun_cookie
04-30-2008, 14:24
BTex Zin set, PH 122.6 and GTS 2007

callmeox
04-30-2008, 17:15
A 750 of Evan Williams Black label for $11.25 and I can't wait to crack it open later

fishnbowljoe
04-30-2008, 19:14
A 750 of Old Forrester. Joe

JamesW
04-30-2008, 20:57
Buffalo Trace... Great inexpensive pour.

Tipped
05-01-2008, 11:22
This has been an exciting week for me. After struggling to find a liquor store in my area (South of Boston) that carries anything other than Jim Beam products and MM, I was tipped off to check out Yankee Spirits. Went there 2 days ago, and they carry about 20 different bourbons, including some of the most highly recommended on this forum. I picked up Buffalo Trace, and Jim Beam Rye (I like Manhattans). I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but will make sure tonight.

ACDetroit
05-01-2008, 11:48
3 odd balls today! Well not that odd I guess

1 - Slope Shoulder OCPR 13yr L'ville bottle

1 - King Tut Michter's decanter feels full tax stamp 1978 (I'm sure the cork will not come out nicely) we may have to decant this one. Store owner said I would not open this if I were you! "Why, I asked" He said it's probably bad, plus it might be worth money some day! Baahhh! I say we drink it!!

1 - Tiffany & Co. 1776 decanter with Segrams and tax stamp in tact (I'm guessing this is from the late 1970's as well).

I had a productive lunch today.

ThomasH
05-01-2008, 13:14
Hey Tony, with that tut decanter, now you can drink like an Egyptian, drink too much of it and you'll be crawling like one instead of walking. Nice lunch hour catches you made today!

Thomas

ACDetroit
05-01-2008, 13:30
Thanks Thomas! I will try to post some pic's once I clean the dirt off the Segrams.

Cheers!
Tony

callmeox
05-01-2008, 17:55
One of my co-workers is heading to Chicago for a bowling tournament this weekend and he said that after hearing me talk the place up, he's stopping at Binny's.

Along with some Patron Silver and a 1.75 of Absolut for the summer party season, I've got another Weller 12 on the way. :grin:

I should just order a case and be done with it.

Rake
05-02-2008, 18:44
1 - Slope Shoulder OCPR 13yr L'ville bottle

Hey, me too!

It's my first encounter with the Bourbon Heritage Collection.

ACDetroit
05-02-2008, 18:59
Hey, me too!

It's my first encounter with the Bourbon Heritage Collection.

Nice work, it's a good one Traver! Let me know your thoughts on it! If you open it soon?

Rake
05-02-2008, 19:39
Will do, Tony.

Cheers.:toast:

JamesW
05-03-2008, 09:52
This week I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace for $27. My first time trying it and it's a very nice rye recipe bourbon.

jbaker
05-03-2008, 11:36
Old Grand-Dad 114. Wanna help place the year? Check out the other thread. I'm looking for any input to see when this might be from.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9316

mozilla
05-03-2008, 12:08
Your bottle is probably current production.

ACDetroit
05-03-2008, 12:53
jbaker Quote "Old Grand-Dad 114. Wanna help place the year? Check out the other thread. I'm looking for any input to see when this might be from."

Which one is it "A", "B" or "C"! Then I can tell you if it's Old ND, Transitional ND or Jim Beam??

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7809&page=13 (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/Near the Bottom of Page 13)

Look here these are the 3 bottles I currently have and or post a picture of what you got??

Tony

CorvallisCracker
05-03-2008, 18:12
Was down at my favorite liquor store, in Eugene. There was a single bottle of PVW 15 on the shelf, which I grabbed. Learned they'd received six about three weeks ago, and this was the last. Apparently there are some serious bourbon drinkers in Eugene.

They were also down to two bottles each of OF BB (1994/2007) and Forty Creek Three Grain, so I grabbed one each of those.

Drinking the Birthday Bourbon right now. Never had this before (any release). Good juice.

fishnbowljoe
05-03-2008, 23:29
Found a bottle of Old Forester Signature 100 proof. Also got a couple of backups to bunker. Rebel Yell and Weller 12 yr old. Also got something special for the dining room. Joe
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8703

mgilbertva
05-04-2008, 13:11
Yay Old Forester BIB!

Thanks to stoopsie I now have a 1988 OFBIB. It's the bottle with the dimple sides. Great stuff.

mgilbertva
05-04-2008, 13:16
Yesterday I was able to complete a trade that netted me an '04 GTS - one of my all-time favorites - and a Fall '05 GTS.

Thanks Dave!

JamesW
05-04-2008, 19:36
Picked up some Pappy 20, Eagle Rare 10 yr, along with a Talisker 18yr and some wine.

PhilsFan
05-05-2008, 17:15
Bought another bottle of ETL, this time for my son-in-law's birthday. He's been drinking WR & KC recently, so it will be something new for him to try.

-Joe

SBOmarc
05-05-2008, 17:51
Weller 12 and WTRR Rye. Looking forward to the Turkey, took me a while to find it. Even the BevMo's in the area were just now getting it in stock.

Virus_Of_Life
05-05-2008, 20:41
Very, Very happy to Finally find an Old Crow BiB!!! I wish the label wasn't faded and all, but I am happy just to finally see one of these so I know it did in fact exist in this area.

TNbourbon
05-05-2008, 20:54
Very, Very happy to Finally find an Old Crow BiB!!! I wish the label wasn't faded and all, but I am happy just to finally see one of these so I know it did in fact exist in this area.

ND Old Crow BIB is fine bourbon, Christian. Enjoy it!

...Thanks to stoopsie I now have a 1988 OFBIB. It's the bottle with the dimple sides. Great stuff.

"Stoopsie"'s a trouper, indeed! Howie, if you're looking in, think of you often and wish you wellness and good health. Cheers!:toast:

mozilla
05-05-2008, 21:10
Christian,
Is there a bottle date? I have always thought the the Gov. warning started in 1989...this appears to be pre 1987, with the upc and Bib designations.
Still a really sweet pick up. Wish I had seen 'er. Can't wait for the taste report.

Virus_Of_Life
05-05-2008, 21:53
Christian,
Is there a bottle date? I have always thought the the Gov. warning started in 1989...this appears to be pre 1987, with the upc and Bib designations.
Still a really sweet pick up. Wish I had seen 'er. Can't wait for the taste report.

That is not the Government warning you may be thinking of, it is more a warning about the filling of the bottle as a bonded bourbon. There is an "83" on the bottom of the bottle Jeff.

mozilla
05-06-2008, 08:53
That is not the Government warning you may be thinking of, it is more a warning about the filling of the bottle as a bonded bourbon. There is an "83" on the bottom of the bottle Jeff.

You are so right! :bigeyes:

I did not read it carefully. Well, it's still one of the best lookin' Crow's I've seen a picture of. I am being very patient about seeing one in person....I hope it happens someday.

TarHeelTaster
05-06-2008, 10:48
I purchased OC Classic 90. Haven't tried it before and understand BT is stopping production. More expensive than I would have thought at about $18. Also some Weller Special Reserve, OGD 114 and some Old Overholt (though obviously not bourbon).

fishnbowljoe
05-06-2008, 17:25
Found out that one of my two favorite liquor stores was going out of business. Hurried over after work and managed to pick up four bottles of ERSB 10/90 for $18.89 each, a bottle of WTRB for $24.49 and a bottle of RR 90 for $18.49. I also got eight wine/bourbon glasses for a dollar each. I made out like a bandit. Saved over $50.00. I pretty much wiped out all the bourbon they had left except for one more bottle of RR 90 and a whole bunch of JB Black. Wish I would have found out three weeks ago. They were the only store around here that had Lot B. Still, I'm pretty happy. Got some good stuff for myself and some that I can bring with me to the KBF. Gazebo here I come! Joe

spun_cookie
05-06-2008, 19:38
Good score tonight. 2 2007 GTS, one Parker and a set of Cab Fran BTeX....

Dr. François
05-06-2008, 22:27
I finally found a 1.75 l bottle of EC12. Bought that sucker without much hesitation. EC12 is still one of the few whiskeys that is cheaper in Michigan than elsewhere.

I also picked up a 1.75 l of Weller SR in Kentucky. I swear, between these two bourbons, I could be a happy, happy guy for a really long time.

Huegeb
05-07-2008, 12:39
I purchased a 1965 Old Fitz from a sb.com member here. I cannot await its arrival.

Geb

OscarV
05-08-2008, 17:56
I just so happened to be in the neighborhood so I stopped at the Fern Valley Liquor Barn in Louisville today.
I went in looking for FRsingleB120th and Old Charter 101.
They had neither so I picked up,
2 FRsingleB
1 FR yellow label
1 Dickel Barrel Select

jburlowski
05-12-2008, 12:07
Grabbed a couple of bottles of PHC to bunker. Also grabbed a bottle of OC 101 (what cheap-looking packaging!)

Gillman
05-12-2008, 13:18
It's not bourbon (or is it? See other current threads!), but in the duty free of a U.S. airport recently I picked up Silver Select, a November '07 bottling from Rick L-04 (this from memory). A good bottling but I still think the February 1 Rick 19 bottling is the best I've ever had. A member of this board is now in possession of same and I'm hoping to read his comments here soon to see whether I'm out to lunch on this.

Also bought some Buffalo Trace on this trip (a little too earthy for me), some 1792 (good but a little spirity) and Sazerac rye (excellent, soft and rich).

Gary

camduncan
05-12-2008, 15:11
Not today, but from my recent trip to the US and Kentucky for the Sampler... Some I purchased, some where in lieu of trades and some where gifts. The final haul home was:

Vintage 17
Old Charter 12yo
Wild Turkey American Honey
Evan Williams
Elmer T Lee
Makers Mark 375ml dipped by me
Old Taylor 200ml

To those who offered bottles as gifts, I can't thank you enough. The generosity of this group is amazing. And to those who gave me bottles in lieu of future trades, Jen and I are already working on the requests to be sent to you ;)

JamesW
05-12-2008, 17:17
Just picked up some Aberlour A'bunadh batch 18 and some Talisker Distillers Edition Sherry cask. Looking forward to enjoying these 2 drams!

Also picked up some Saz 18!

wildcatdon
05-13-2008, 11:11
Today I bought some Evan Williams 1783...not bad at all..I was impressed for a bourbon that was $11.99...would not hesitate to buy it again..Anyone in louisville know where I can get some Old Charter Proprietors Reserve?

Mike R
05-13-2008, 13:32
Yesterday while looking at a job site near Detroit, I bought my first PVW Lot B. Really looking forward to trying it out. The store also had Parkers Heritage. Maybe on my next trip I'll pick it up.

Mike

ACDetroit
05-13-2008, 14:01
Yesterday while looking at a job site near Detroit, I bought my first PVW Lot B. Really looking forward to trying it out. The store also had Parkers Heritage. Maybe on my next trip I'll pick it up.

Mike

Hey Mike! Let me know when that is and we'll make a day of it! There are a few bottles of the PH 122.6 around this area. We could always open one of mine to see if you really want to buy it? Although I have not heard a bad word of it yet!

What area near Detroit were you in? Rochester Hills, Brighton or Riverview...Maybe Dearborn?

Tony

JamesW
05-13-2008, 14:12
Hey Mike! Let me know when that is and we'll make a day of it! There are a few bottles of the PH 122.6 around this area. We could always open one of mine to see if you really want to buy it? Although I have not heard a bad word of it yet!

What area near Detroit were you in? Rochester Hills, Brighton or Riverview...Maybe Dearborn?

Tony

I have the 122.6 and it is very nice. Not sure it's worth the $85 price tag though. It belongs in the $50 range maybe. The 127 I've heard is not quite as good.

wadewood
05-13-2008, 19:44
picked up Stagg 2007. I wanted this one for upcoming cruise. Hard to "sneak" many bottles on board. 144 proof goes a long way.

On the same note, I'm taking a 16 oz water bottle with 190 proof Everclear. Trina likes her Vodka drinks and Everclear diluted with half water is Vodka. I had do a little blind tasting with her tonight to prove it.

Also found a Spring 03 OFBB.

mgilbertva
05-13-2008, 21:05
Stagg on a cruise? That'll be a niice cruise.

I too picked up a bottle of '07 Stagg. But my main purchase was 2 bottles of Willett Bourbon 7yr ("Old Fuss and Feathers") and 2 bottles of Willett Bourbon 6yr ("Pear Tree) over at Ace Beverage.

bromike666
05-16-2008, 15:28
HUGE tax return coming in the mail so I thought I'd hit the internet and order some bottles y'all are always talking about.

1 x Sazerac Straight Rye
1 x Rittenhouse Rye 80
1 x Michter's 10 Year Single Barrel Rye
2 x Eagle Rare 10 yo
2 x Old Grand Dad 114
2 x W. L. Weller 12 Year Old Bourbon 90
1 x W. L. Weller 7 Year Old Bourbon Whiskey; USA 107

Guess I'll have to spend some of that return on a new cabinet!

gothbat
05-16-2008, 19:00
I was hoping to pick up a Rittenhouse BIB but they didn't have it. What they did have, for the first time ever, was PVW15 and it was slightly cheaper than I've seen it in a while ($43.99) so I grabbed that along with a Weller Antique 107. The woman at the counter laughed when I got to the register and said she'd just put the PVW15 out and she knew I'd buy it. :) Then I cashed in my $5 lotto ticket and put another $5 towards a scratch off blackjack ticket and won $50. The PVW15 was almost free. :)

fishnbowljoe
05-16-2008, 21:37
The wife and I stopped at the local CVS pharmacy to pick up a couple of items. As always, I browsed the liquor dept. Bought a 1.75 of Gran Legacy Bourbon. Anyone ever hear of this bourbon before? It says Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, on the bottle. Also,Handcrafted Kentucky Bourbon made with Pride and Tradition to achieve a Rich, Smooth Taste, and Prepared & Bottled By Fairmont LTD. Mira Loma, CA. Thought I'd give it a try. Only $16.00. Thought I saw something about it once on one of the threads, but couldn't find anything. Thanks, Joe

Thesh
05-17-2008, 02:34
Jim Beam Black
WL Weller 12
Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon

PhilsFan
05-17-2008, 06:45
picked up Stagg 2007. I wanted this one for upcoming cruise. Hard to "sneak" many bottles on board. 144 proof goes a long way.

Penny and I are going on a cruise in September. On this one, for the first time I was going to stick to trying a different bourbon or rye each night for comparison and stay away from the "umbrella" drinks.

I know the main bar in the atrium on Carnival ships looks pretty stocked but I never really concentrated on just bourbon (the only bourbon I can remember having on a ship is Blanton's)

Is there enough choice to do that, or is it slim pickins bourbon-wise? And is that why you have to "sneak" Stagg aboard?

-Joe

mgilbertva
05-17-2008, 13:13
I have not been on a Carnival cruise, but in general cruise ships have a very poor selection when it comes to whiskey. Besides, if they let you take it on board, why not avoid the huge mark-up they charge, especially if you don't need the services of a bartender to make difficult cocktails?

TNbourbon
05-17-2008, 21:21
I have not been on a Carnival cruise, but in general cruise ships have a very poor selection when it comes to whiskey. Besides, if they let you take it on board, why not avoid the huge mark-up they charge, especially if you don't need the services of a bartender to make difficult cocktails?

Officially, they don't let you bring it onboard. If you declare it, they'll confiscate it and give it back to you at the end of the cruise (maybe). If you don't declare it, they'll confiscate it and we'll see...But, most bottles hidden in checked baggage make it through if safely packed, as few bags are actually opened and checked.
That said, Carnival's bar selection ain't bad. Eighteen months ago, it included Blanton's at all bars -- the only time I've really been glad to see it -- Old Grand-Dad 86 proof, and Wild Turkey 8yo, which you can have delivered to your cabin (opened) via room service for then-$40. The latter might have tempted me if the bottle had been sealed, but I was cruising solo so didn't bother, since I could order it at the bars. Plus, I'd packed a stash in my checked baggage, of course:grin:.

spun_cookie
05-17-2008, 21:25
I did Carnival last year.. the OGD was bad... the Blantons was not bad, but cost to much... the WT we had on ours was the 101...

I brought some... so I was OK.. and when I ran out I got some off ship, put it through the X-ray and it passed right through.. it is more of a "balls" test than anything else.. the guys looking at the X-ray care about things that go boom.. not that go into a glass...

Special Reserve
05-18-2008, 06:32
On Friday I found:

1 WTKS bottled on 6-28-95, was in a very dusty box
2 OCPR BHC slanted shoulders
2 VSOF BHC
4 I.W. Harper BHC at a low price (a smooth, pleasant starter or start her bourbon)
1 ER 101 NOLA

Not a bad trip even at inflated gas prices.

Now all properly stored and my bourbon IRA is feeling healthier.

OscarV
05-18-2008, 07:20
1 WTKS bottled on 6-28-95, was in a very dusty box
2 OCPR BHC slanted shoulders
2 VSOF BHC
4 I.W. Harper BHC at a low price (a smooth, pleasant starter or start her bourbon)
1 ER 101 NOLA

Will, that is one hell of a haul!
The WTKS must be a pewter top, right? This early WTKS is sublime.
The ER101 N.O. is awesome bourbon, I call it Baby Stagg.
I have never had the OCPR sloped shoulder but hear it is great.

You and Tony are cleaning out the MI shelves.

Special Reserve
05-18-2008, 08:41
Oscar,

It's Tony that is cleaning out SE MI, I got lucky with this one.

I went back to an old (nearly 40 years ago) stomping ground.

Will

Eggman
05-18-2008, 11:30
Howdy,

A litre of JBB.

Eggman

ACDetroit
05-18-2008, 16:12
Oscar,

It's Tony that is cleaning out SE MI, I got lucky with this one.

I went back to an old (nearly 40 years ago) stomping ground.

Will

Will, I resemble that remark :cool: ! Great finds, I thought I found all those ER 101...they're one of my favorites!

Keep up the good work!

Tony

Special Reserve
05-18-2008, 18:12
Will, I resemble that remark :cool: ! Great finds, I thought I found all those ER 101...they're one of my favorites!

Keep up the good work!

Tony

Tony,

I thought you did as well.

Some times you get lucky.

Will

cigarnv
05-19-2008, 04:11
Regarding liquor on cruises..... We cruise fairly often, the last being on the Queen Mary out of Brooklyn in March, and always take our own liquor on with us. We always take some good pinot noir's as well as a few special bourbons. We enjoy a few cocktails and a cigar each evening on the veranda and want to drink the best we have while on vacation. We almost always cruise with friends so mini coctail parties are also quite common. The selection of good pinot and great bourbon is typically a bit slim on even the better of lines.

We always pack our libations in a styrofoam wine carrier so it is easy to transport and protect. When we get to the dock we personally give it to one of the baggage handlers and ask them to treat it gently as well as providing a tip of $5-10. Never a problem when handled in this fashion or when packed in luggage.

I would be careful not to pack any liquor that is over 140 proof as it is not permitted to be checked on airlines. I have had bottles checked so take the 129/131 Stagg!!

DowntownD
05-20-2008, 00:10
two local stores in two days, two new purchases, both good:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/DowntownDDDDMMMM/SDJeCl_AO0I/AAAAAAAAAbc/EUOfGY8HtN0/s400/VWFRRandBakers.JPG

bromike666
05-20-2008, 17:01
Spent some more tax refund on the internet today.

4 x ORVW 10/107
2 x Classic Cask 15yo 90.8 proof
2 x Classic Cask 21yo rye

PM if interested where..........

spun_cookie
05-20-2008, 17:47
Good day today.

2006 WLW
2006 Thomas Handy
12yr Van Winkle rye
7 375 OFG (80s SW)
1 750 OFG (mid 80s)
1 375 OFG (70s)
2 6yr Willets
2 7 year Willets
1 750 Old Barton
1 1980 OGD 114

I think that was... Twas a good May day

Huegeb
05-20-2008, 18:46
Good day today.

2006 WLW
2006 Thomas Handy
12yr Van Winkle rye
7 375 OFG (80s SW)
1 750 OFG (mid 80s)
1 375 OFG (70s)
2 6yr Willets
2 7 year Willets
1 750 Old Barton
1 1980 OGD 114

I think that was... Twas a good May day

Greetings Spun_Cookie,

It does sound like a very good day. A dearest congratulations on your many new bourbon finds!

Kindest,

Geb

mgilbertva
05-20-2008, 20:14
I teamed up with spun_cookie today, along with my brother. Consequently, I have some overlap with spun_cookie.

OGD 114 '80
Old Charter BIB late '70s
Willett 6yr bourbon "Pear Tree"
EC 18yr '80
VWFR Rye '07
Forty Creek Barrel Select (I've been wanting to try this)

ggilbertva
05-20-2008, 20:17
And so I'll throw my stuff in.....

1982 Old Grand Dad 114
Old Fitz BIB (Bernheim) DSP KY-1
1983 Ky Gentleman 80p

nor02lei
05-21-2008, 13:47
I got a parcel today with a bottle of WT stampede (E-bay). Nothing on the bottle indicates when it was bottled. Does anyone know an approximate time when this was produced?

Leif

HighTower
05-21-2008, 15:42
I got a parcel today with a bottle of WT stampede (E-bay). Nothing on the bottle indicates when it was bottled. Does anyone know an approximate time when this was produced?

Leif
I believe it was around 1997/1998 that it was released. It was the DFS release before Freedom.

Scott

nor02lei
05-21-2008, 23:38
I believe it was around 1997/1998 that it was released. It was the DFS release before Freedom.

Scott

Thank you very much for the information Scott.

Leif

Chupacabras
05-22-2008, 18:01
Black Maple Hills 14yo single barrel bourbon (I've never seen it before but they're sure to point out it's limited editon).

CorvallisCracker
05-22-2008, 18:06
Black Maple Hills 14yo single barrel bourbon (I've never seen it before but they're sure to point out it's limited editon).

It's not even made anymore but there's a lot of it still sitting around on store shelves.

A local store has it for $75 (the 11yo for $61 and the 16yo for $95) while another a little further away has the 21yo for $140.

What did you pay for yours?

Chupacabras
05-22-2008, 18:25
I paid 63 and it was from a store I go to all the time (I was even in Monday and it wasn't there). Who knows where it came from, but this store's good for unexpected bourbon finds. Oh, and it was the only bottle when I got there, though someone had taken the time to hang up tasting notes. The other surprise was seeing that young Colorado whiskey on the shelf for 58... it's apropos that it's stocked right next to the Old Whiskey River as I don't doubt they'll both be together for years to come.

Chupacabras
05-22-2008, 21:35
I'd swear this bourbon is exactly what 1792 would taste like if it were aged 14 years. Overall, not impressed but that could change after the bottle's had some time to breathe.

CorvallisCracker
05-22-2008, 21:57
I'd swear this bourbon is exactly what 1792 would taste like if it were aged 14 years. Overall, not impressed but that could change after the bottle's had some time to breathe.

Rumor has it that it's Heaven Hill juice. Vat some EC 12 and EC 18 and it might taste similar.

Chupacabras
05-23-2008, 00:54
I just can't taste or feel EC in this bottle but everything about Ridgemont Reserve screams "kissing cousins". The only thing that's throwing me is BMH's woody finish, remeniscent of PVW 20 which is peculiar in a bourbon at this age (IME).

callmeox
05-24-2008, 11:58
I lucked in to two 750's of Weller Centennial out of state :woohoo: and I grabbed a 375 of WT101 locally to take to a party.

fishnbowljoe
05-26-2008, 02:42
Was at a party at some friends house tonight. My birthday is in a couple of weeks, and my friends (who know I like bourbon) gave me a bottle of Makers Mark as an early present. Needless to say, I like my friends. A lot. :cool: Joe

Mike R
05-27-2008, 07:24
Made a quick trip south and stopped by Chucks in Bowling Green. Came away with FR single and small batch, Old Fitz BIB, Old HH BIB, and VOB BIB. Have sampled the Old Fitz and I like this very much.

It's always fun to find something new.

Mike

Schpyder
05-27-2008, 20:28
Yesterday I finally picked up a bottle of WTRB (batch WT-03RB). Mainly because I'm moving up to Michigan soon (Grand Rapids, to be precise), and booze is a heck of a lot cheaper here in Ohio, if thinner in selection.

OscarV
05-28-2008, 12:48
I'm moving up to Michigan soon

Hey Schpyder, there a few MI SB.com's here so we'll have to get together at one of our informal Michigan Bourbon Hounds tasting.

I really didn't need to purchase anything but I felt like it.
So I looked over the selection at my favorite store and came away with a WLWeller Antique 107.

ACDetroit
05-28-2008, 12:52
I'll call it purchased today because I had to pay for it, even though it's still in Kentucky! The Fore Roses 120th has hit the shelves at my favorite store so a road trip will be in order!

OH YEAH! If you did not hear, the 120th Four Roses hit the shelves of KY today!!

Cheers!
Tony

OscarV
05-28-2008, 12:55
The Fore Roses 120th has hit the shelves at my favorite store so a road trip will be in order!

I don't care if gas is $10.00 a gallon, LET'S GO!!!

NorCalBoozer
05-28-2008, 17:28
I found a sad, lonely bottle of Sazerac 18, 2007. Of course I was more than glad to take him home. Then i started counting and found I had 6 of these guys so now I have no reason not to open one. Maybe I'll even mix up a sazerac cocktail, haven't had one of those in quite some time.

Eggman
05-28-2008, 19:05
Howdy,

Baker's. I'll post my first impressions later. I'm looking forward to this well-regarded offering from the Beam people.

Eggman

Schpyder
05-28-2008, 20:07
Hey Schpyder, there a few MI SB.com's here so we'll have to get together at one of our informal Michigan Bourbon Hounds tasting.

Yeah, I've seen quite a few posts from them (and you)! If anyone has any recommendations on where to get the good stuff in Grand Rapids, I'd much appreciate it. I've found Martha's Vineyard and GB Russo so far, and they have pretty good selections, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all for it.

Mike R
05-29-2008, 07:29
Yeah, I've seen quite a few posts from them (and you)! If anyone has any recommendations on where to get the good stuff in Grand Rapids, I'd much appreciate it. I've found Martha's Vineyard and GB Russo so far, and they have pretty good selections, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all for it.

Welcome to GR. Sorry I can't help with any good stores in GR, but if you make it into the Lansing area let me know. I'll be happy to help!

Mike

PhilsFan
05-29-2008, 17:08
Bought a bottle of Charter 101 on the way home from work.

-Joe

wadewood
05-30-2008, 12:04
see attached picture for I have been buying lately.

On recent cruise, on stop in Turks, bought 2 bottles of WT12 at $35 each (700ml). I finished one on the cruise! I also found a bottle of barrel proof Blantons, 133.2 proof, in Bermuda for $46.

The rest are recent purchases from Houston area. 2 old style Elmer T lee bottles, 1 02 OFBB and 1 Spring 03 OFBB. 1 ORVW 15 and 1 ORVW 10/107. BHC Old Fitz. Letter D VWFRR. Couple of Staggs.

Pretty nice haul!

camduncan
05-30-2008, 14:32
Very nice haul Wade :D:D A great price on the Blantons too (they're over $140 here)

DowntownD
05-30-2008, 16:43
two firsts, from two different local stores:

Baby Saz & Old Weller Antique 7/107.

TNbourbon
05-30-2008, 16:54
...Couple of Staggs...

:lol: You forgot to mention, Wade, that that one with the sticker is the legendary 2002.

wadewood
05-30-2008, 17:07
:lol: You forgot to mention, Wade, that that one with the sticker is the legendary 2002.

Tim -I was seeing who would be the first to catch that!

bigtoys
05-30-2008, 19:56
vW Lot B. Still waiting for 4R 120.

razerburnt
05-30-2008, 20:11
a pappy 15, 2 parkers heritage and 3 4R 120th.

OscarV
05-31-2008, 15:32
I was in Lexington, KY earlier today, see the "Another 4Roses SB?" thread I picked up 30 bottles of 4R 120th, Tony's score, I was the mule.:grin:

While there I picked up a WTKentucky Spirit bottled 3-11-04, a WT101, and you'll never belive this,... a
Four Roses Jim Rutledge 40th Anniversary.
Bottle# 1377
Barrel# 17-1G
ABV 50.8

I asked if they had any Old Charter 101, he said no, but he had one in his office that he took a shot from and gave it to me!!!

I really like Kentucky!

barturtle
05-31-2008, 17:45
12 bottles of the Bourbon Society WTKS and 21 bottles of FR120th

I just don't know what to try first...:lol:

DowntownD
06-01-2008, 01:51
12 bottles of the Bourbon Society WTKS and 21 bottles of FR120th

I just don't know what to try first...:lol:

wow, 21 bottles? are they all for you?

HighTower
06-01-2008, 05:18
Timothy, you sure know how to make a grown man drool!!
So, just how good is the WTKS?? I love that stuff!!

WOW!

Scott

barturtle
06-01-2008, 06:21
wow, 21 bottles? are they all for you?

Man, you let one person know that you're going shopping....:slappin:

Timothy, you sure know how to make a grown man drool!!
So, just how good is the WTKS?? I love that stuff!!

WOW!

Scott

I couldn't decide which to open last night...maybe tonight I'll be able to make up my mind...:rolleyes:

callmeox
06-01-2008, 15:36
Two Pappy 20's and a bottle of Weller Antique while on a golf weekend in Pennsylvania

fishnbowljoe
06-01-2008, 16:36
One bottle of Evan Williams and one bottle of Bulleit. Joe

DowntownD
06-02-2008, 00:50
one bottle of Handy 2007 and two bottles of Four Roses 120th.

PhilsFan
06-02-2008, 20:04
Weller Centennial, thanks to ThomasH!

-Joe

jpact
06-02-2008, 20:52
Evan Williams SB 1996. There were a few 1997's too, but I left those for another time.

OldJack
06-02-2008, 20:59
I just bought my first bottle of WT Rye 101. I'm itching for a pour, but some herbal supliment I took yesterday has wrecked my stomach, so my first sip of rye will have to wait.

PhilsFan
06-04-2008, 14:16
Chris from Party Outlet (Shelbyville Rd) called me today and told me my Four Roses 120th was ready. I had called them before the 120th had gotten to the stores, just as I had called every big store in town to hedge my bets so I'd make sure to get some.

I ended up buying two of the lower proof versions at Liquor Barn (52.4&#37;), and was about to say no thanks to Party Outlet, but asked him what the alc content was.

He said 56.1%, so since I wanted the higher proof, I said ok and skipped out around lunchtime to pick it up. It's Barrel 7-1N.

While I was there, on the shelf I saw Weller 12yr, which has been in short supply around here. So I bought that too for 21.99.

This is how the madness starts, isn't it?

-Joe

OscarV
06-04-2008, 14:27
This is how the madness starts, isn't it?

Yes it is, but eventually that madness turns into normalcy and you won't notice anything odd about it.

HighTower
06-04-2008, 15:20
Yes it is, but eventually that madness turns into normalcy and you won't notice anything odd about it.

Amen to that! :lol:

Scott

fishnbowljoe
06-04-2008, 15:29
Stopped at a liquor store on the way home last night. I was pleasantly surprised when I found some Old Weller Antique. Something they didn't have on previous visits. There is now a bottle in my side board. Not sure when I'll open it. Have a bunch already opened. Still......? Joe

ACDetroit
06-04-2008, 16:14
Got in late last night, stopped at 2 stores on my way and one I had been in several time had a L'ville W.L. Weller SR so I grabbed it. He had a Jefferson's Reserve with the 15yr age statement as well but it's still there!
Passed on 2 centennials and a BHC Harper at the other place.

AC

OscarV
06-04-2008, 16:20
Passed on 2 centennials

WTF?????????????????????