PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Los Angeles

bromike666
03-31-2008, 14:40
Been lurking for about 4 months and decided to became a member. Started drinking Bourbon about 6 months ago after many years away from good straight up spirits. Just wanted to thank you all for all the helpful information and the HUGE hole in my wallet. THanks to y'all PVW 20 is my nightly three finger pour and I've stocked up on Hirsch 16, PVW 23 and Rittenhouse 21 Rye.

Now I need to find some mid priced everyday drinking Bourbon so I don't go broke. Got any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Cheers,

bluesbassdad
03-31-2008, 15:18
Given the lofty prices of your purchases so far, you may consider the $30-50 range mid-priced.

There are several in that range worth trying.

Blanton's (smooth & subtle)
Rock Hill Farms (what Blanton's wants to be when it grows up)
Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 y/o (a wheater with the complexity of a rye-recipe bourbon)
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (the WT style at optimum age)
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (livelier, less earthy than the WT style)
Baker's (second favorite Jim Beam product)
Booker's (not a favorite; must try for educational purposes)
Elijah Craig 18 y/o (will test the limits of your enjoyment of the influence of charred oak)
Weller Centennial (can't think what to say; must be well-balanced)
Van Winkle 10 y/o 107 proof (a lower-priced, higher proof alternative to the Special Reserve)Below $30, if memory of the L.A. market is accurate, are still more choices, some of which IMO give the most enjoyment per dollar.

Van Winkle 10 y/o 90 proof
Eagle Rare SB 10 y/o (reminds me of cognac)
Buffalo Trace (a little sweet; one is usually enough)
Elmer T. Lee (as spicy as BT is sweet)
Russell's Reserve (a Wild Turkey brand)
Evan Williams Single Barrel (most vintages have the grassy/minty element that is Heaven Hill signature)
Knob Creek (my favorite Jim Beam product; on sale at Hi Time for $19.99)I see that my list includes almost as many as it excludes. Even so, your eventual favorites may not be on my list.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

camduncan
03-31-2008, 15:41
G'day and welcome :D

Out of interest, what are some of the better stores in LA to shop at?

Tennessee Dave
03-31-2008, 15:59
One of the best P/V on the market,IMHO, is Old Weller Antique. Still can't believe this doesn't command premium price!:cool:

OscarV
03-31-2008, 16:04
One of the best P/V on the market,IMHO, is Old Weller Antique. Still can't believe this doesn't command premium price!:cool:

Sshhhhh,..... don't give them any ideas.

bromike666
03-31-2008, 16:18
Thanks for all the suggestions, guess I have a lot of tasting to do.

Darn, I hate when that happens.

CorvallisCracker
03-31-2008, 16:40
Welcome aboard, Mike.

Say, your Avatar pic - is that Carrie Nation, in the Place-of-Eternal-Darnation?

TNbourbon
03-31-2008, 19:21
Mike, you started at the top -- and good on ya! But, it isn't really necessary. Bourbon is a remarkably positive experience.
Sure, each of us has a bottling or two that proves problematic, either because it's inconsistent (Elijah Craig 12yo, in my case -- when it's good...) or just doesn't appeal (Bulleit) but, largely, there is no BAD bourbon.
For whatever it's worth, the Weller line is stellar -- BUT, we've been told not to expect further distribution till June! (Jeesh!)
Otherwise, per distillery:

Jim Beam Black
Four Roses Yellow (now pale) Label
Old Forester 86
Buffalo Trace
Wild Turkey 101 or rye (also 101)
Evan Williams Black Label, or Single Barrel
Maker's Mark
Ridgemont Reserve

Did I leave out anyone? I think that's a presentable bourbon from each extant distillery.
Enjoy your Pappy 20 (Stitzel-Weller, no longer operating). Find some others.

sku
03-31-2008, 20:23
Welcome bro. Always good to see a fellow Angeleno. As you may know, we have lots of good liquor stores to choose from scattered about the area, though some things are still hard to find.

For low cost pours, I second Buffalo Trace as my favorite, but that's if you like a rye kick to your Bourbon.

Both Sazerac and Rittenhouse Rye are also great and in the $20-30 range.

bromike666
04-01-2008, 13:13
G'day and welcome :D

I live downtown and do all my purchasing over the internet.

bromike666
04-01-2008, 13:17
Welcome aboard, Mike.

Say, your Avatar pic - is that Carrie Nation, in the Place-of-Eternal-Darnation?

hahahahaha, thats a good one.

Nah, thats my online Lego avatar. I've got a head of gray dreads and thats the closest hair the Lego site had to chose from.

CorvallisCracker
04-01-2008, 13:32
hahahahaha, thats a good one.

Nah, thats my online Lego avatar. I've got a head of gray dreads and thats the closest hair the Lego site had to chose from.

I just wondered, 'cause it kinda looks like her (see attached).

For those who don't know, Carrie Nation was the leader of the temperence movement, the Good Folks who brought us Prohibition. She and her gang of harpies would storm into a bar and attack the barrels of beer and whiskey with hatchets.

Truly one of the most Evil Beings to ever exist, right up there with Caligula, Vlad the Impaler, Idi Amin and my wife's cat.

felthove
04-01-2008, 13:39
Welcome aboard. I'd be remiss if I didn't also suggest Old Grand Dad BIB or 114. Great stuff -- even without (the low) cost factored in.

sku
04-01-2008, 15:20

We actually have some very good stores in the greater LA area.

Mission Liquors in Pasadena www.missionliquors.com (http://www.missionliquors.com)
K&L Wines in Hollywood www.klwines.com (http://www.klwines.com)
Wine & Liquor Depot in Van Nuys www.wineandliquordepot.com (http://www.wineandliquordepot.com)
Hi-Time Wine in Costa Mesa www.hitimewine.net (http://www.hitimewine.net)

Still, there is a fair amount of Bourbon that never makes it out here.

camduncan
04-01-2008, 18:02
Thanks Sku!!

I only ask as I depart from LA to return to Australia at the end of my forthcoming holiday.
If i've got any room in my bags, I'd like to know where to pick up a few bottles :)