PDA

View Full Version : How much? How often?

SippinJim
04-05-2008, 13:19
I was just wondering what other folks frequency and quantity of their Bourbon sipping may be. For myself it is every night after work. I pour about 1-1/2 oz. neat and have this twice and every once in a while three times if I'm with a fellow affecianado. I get a nice buzz going as I am in for the night and just sit back and relax. It takes me about twenty minutes or so to finish a drink.

squire
04-05-2008, 13:24
I tend to drink more if it's good whiskey so I buy the cheap stuff.

spun_cookie
04-05-2008, 13:41
If I can, I try an ounce a night. I usually average that over 14 days.

I am begining to get my average up to that for a life time though... to many new (to me) bourbons I want to try...

mgilbertva
04-05-2008, 13:47
I'm about the same - approx. 1 oz/night average.

camduncan
04-05-2008, 15:23
I used to drink 60-90 ml every couple of nights, (or 2-3 standard Australian pours)
The last few months I've been running a couple of miles every day for better health, so the above consumption was only on Fri & Sat nights.
In the last few weeks I've had the worst flu I can remember having in years, so I'm not running or drinking at all :hot:

ratcheer
04-05-2008, 15:32
I was just wondering what other folks frequency and quantity of their Bourbon sipping may be. For myself it is every night after work. I pour about 1-1/2 oz. neat and have this twice and every once in a while three times if I'm with a fellow affecianado. I get a nice buzz going as I am in for the night and just sit back and relax. It takes me about twenty minutes or so to finish a drink.

You must be single. :skep:

Tim

SippinJim
04-05-2008, 17:03
You must be single. :skep:

Tim

Been happily married for 26 years. ;)

ratcheer
04-05-2008, 20:25
Been happily married for 26 years. ;)

Ok. Cool!

Tim

JamesW
04-05-2008, 20:41
I usually have about 2 and at the most 3 pours of 1 1/2 oz each neat every night. I am also married and can't say my wife isn't watching me. I do however often point to all studies that suggest some pretty impressive health benefits for this kind of moderate imbibing. This one's my favorite...here (http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html).

fishnbowljoe
04-05-2008, 20:52
One or two most nights. Might skip once or twice a week. But....... Wednesday nights are rough. (Or should I say Thursday mornings) I'm on a drinking team with a bowling problem. The only bourbon they have at the bar in the bowling alley, is Jim Beam. Which is alright by me. It's just that the past couple of months, we've had four rounds before we get to the second game. I drink Beam and Coke, another guy drinks Captain and Coke, and the rest drink beer. Me and the Captain drinker match the others drink for drink most nights. Some times it's six or seven + drinks. A couple times, after really good nights, we went over to one guys house and drank more and had homemade pizza. At least on normal nights, I'm only two minutes from the bowling alley. It's just that work is a bear on Thursdays. Joe

catdaddy
04-05-2008, 21:01
A LOT!!! tonight anyways, I spent all day doing plumbing work on my kitchen, I don't know what I was thinking!

WineGuy
04-06-2008, 04:12
peer pressure

i drank a 750ml tonight

wonder how tomorrow will trun out

Special Reserve
04-06-2008, 06:25
James,

Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it.

In a quick review, there are a few inconsistencies such as one study shows 1drink/day is most beneficial, while another study shows 2-3 drinks/day is most beneficial. But such is the course in medicine and science. Also I don't understand why alcohol consumptions would help prevent Hepatitis A or gastritis. But most disturbing is the base of that pesky Harvard Triangle exercise and weight control.

Just kidding about the Harvard Triangle, if I worked on that it would be a great benefit, but I haven't got that religion yet.

Will

JamesW
04-06-2008, 09:34
James,

Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it.

In a quick review, there are a few inconsistencies such as one study shows 1drink/day is most beneficial, while another study shows 2-3 drinks/day is most beneficial. But such is the course in medicine and science. Also I don't understand why alcohol consumptions would help prevent Hepatitis A or gastritis. But most disturbing is the base of that pesky Harvard Triangle exercise and weight control.

Just kidding about the Harvard Triangle, if I worked on that it would be a great benefit, but I haven't got that religion yet.

Will

Yes the studies do have varying amounts for beneficial imbibing but those all relate to different benefits. The study on improved cognitive functioning found virtually no upper bound on alcohol consumption http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif. I think a moderate regimen includes up to 3 a day for men and 1 to 2 max for women... and of course bigger people can drink more etc... which means I need to gain weight so I can enjoy more!!!!http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

DoubleT
04-06-2008, 21:11
Hard to say since I don't drink every day. I work 12 hour night shifts. Some morning I get home and feel like a drink and others I just have to colapse. On my nights off I may have one or two or I may have some many other things happening I just don't. But I try to have abot 5 or 6 1.5 oz pours per week. That amount seems to fall some where in the plan of most of the health studies.

Off topic, but speaking of health; saw a news story a couple of weeks ago about the oldest man in Oklahoma. I think he was urning 104 and was asked about his secret. He said he was following doctor's orders. Those orders, 1 oz od whiskey every day after breakfast.

I don't recall why his doctor first told him to do this but he is now in a nursing home and they continue this under doctor's orders. And he gets around fairly well (he had been in an acident around his house, fell, and is now in a wheel chair, though not paralized) and his mind is as sharp as a tack. So there you go, one a day and live to be 104.

CorvallisCracker
04-21-2008, 15:08
peer pressure

i drank a 750ml tonight

Apparently not well. He hasn't posted since then.

I see that he last visited on April 9th, so he survived. Perhaps with a diminished taste for bourbon.

SBOmarc
04-21-2008, 15:36
peer pressure

i drank a 750ml tonight

From the sounds of it , perhaps it did not trun out very well...

SippinJim
04-21-2008, 16:18
Apparently not well. He hasn't posted since then.

I see that he last visited on April 9th, so he survived. Perhaps with a diminished taste for bourbon.

Well, except for one word his spelling was OK if that's any kind of indicator. :D

CorvallisCracker
04-21-2008, 17:38
Well, except for one word his spelling was OK if that's any kind of indicator. :D

3/21/08 - 4/6/08: 93 posts = 5.8 posts/day

4/7/08 - 4/21/08: 0 posts

Attila
04-04-2009, 23:14
I tend to go through a bottle of bourbon a month. Until recently I purchased about 4 bottles of bourbon a month, I now have way too much bourbon.

sailor22
04-05-2009, 07:07
Usually I have between 1 and 3 pours - 1 to 1.5 oz - neat every other night on average. I like to take a few days off between tasting evenings.
In the Summer I will alternate between Rum and Bourbon - usually staying with one or the other for a few weeks.

Blitz
04-05-2009, 09:24
..... Wednesday nights are rough. (Or should I say Thursday mornings) I'm on a drinking team with a bowling problem. Joe

Joe, that's the funniest thing I have read in a long time:lol:.

Me, I drink 2 or 3 pours a night, every other day, on average.

squire
04-05-2009, 16:27
Four ounces of good Bourbon a day, sometimes less, rarely more, depends on the proof actually. That 104 year old chap in Oklahoma, wonder how many doctors he outlived.

ACDetroit
04-05-2009, 16:39
peer pressure

i drank a 750ml tonight

Wow, I wonder if this cat made it to see the next day? He has never posted since this last post! Poor fella!

Tony

Klepackage
04-05-2009, 17:05
I kill a 750 just shy of every two weeks. Some will go faster if I put some in a flask and go to a party though.

Pieface
04-06-2009, 01:50
2-3 x 1oz or some combination but usually not more than 3oz a night. 4 or 5 night's a week. That puts me right around Klepackage's rate of consumption.

Josh
04-06-2009, 07:17
On an average week I average about 1-2 two oz. glasses of bourbon a day. Usually one before supper (while I'm cooking) and then one later in the evening. I've been running out of room in my liquor cabinet tho, so I've been forced to drink more recently.:grin:

kickert
04-06-2009, 07:44
I try to keep it around one 750 a month. That breaks down to 17 drink, or one drink every other day or so. I am probably closer to a liter of consumption a month though.

J.W.
04-06-2009, 09:58
Two oz. eyeball 4/5 times per week.

chefnash51
04-06-2009, 13:45
It used to be 2 beers a day.. then two bourbon pours (1..2 oz) a day.. Now I'm trying to get the weight down and blood pressure in check. So it's no drinks M-R... Then whatever I feel like Friday, Sat, Sunday. Which usually turns out to a few drinks each night. And it's hardly ever beer anymore.

Sometimes I can't wait til Friday and have a very small pour mid-week. Reading and talking about bourbon doesn't help the weekends come any quicker. Neither do the bottles that keep following me back home.

Prob 26ish open right now.. thank goodness for inert gas.

independant
04-06-2009, 15:22
Thursday Friday and Saturday those are the only days I drink mostly and I start heavy and end light on saturday night

Waiahi
04-07-2009, 19:16
How much? How often?

As of late...too much, too often. :skep:

I've decided to a mini-vacation from distilled grain spirits.

I have started imbibing far too much, and waking up feeling like garbage far too often.

I'm afraid if I keep going as I have been for the past few months, I will forever ruin true enjoyment in a responsible, controlled manner.

I've come to this realization as I was saying my prayers to the porcelain god this past sunday, after a night of drinking an uncountable number of drams of wild turkey, makers mark, knob creek, jim beam black, bulleit and woodford reserve.

I've come to realize that if I keep up the way I've been, I'll soon have to start attending meetings.... :slappin:

tommyboy38
04-08-2009, 09:35
Never enough and not often enough.

In reality, probably one or two pours a day but I think I need some more as part of the enjoyment comes from the alcohol and I enjoy that buzzy feeling.
Perhaps I'll switch to an extra pour (50 ml) but fewer days.

OscarV
04-08-2009, 13:40
2 much
2 often

theDon
04-08-2009, 15:46
2 a day, except for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Ohh and Wednesdays. And I occasionally have more than 2 on Tues and Thurs also. :skep:

Always bourbon though. Except when I drink beer or wine. At least 1 of the drinks will be bourbon.

ggilbertva
04-09-2009, 08:48
Maybe 1.5-2.0 oz 4-5 times a week. Some nights I don't drink while others I may tip the bottle and have a second pour.

ElasticalGomez
04-09-2009, 08:49
usually 3 approximately 1oz pours sipped slowly over the course of a night, starting immediately after work. sometimes less, sometimes...err...well, sometimes i'm working on recording or mixing my music and by the time i stop and get up i realize i'm about done being useful for the night. :lol:

Lost Pollito
04-09-2009, 09:23
2 much
2 often

same here. no self-control.:rolleyes:

TonyDVC
05-13-2009, 11:00
Two drinks, about 1 1/2 oz. each with a fine cigar. Maybe twice a week. Never before I work the next day. I work in a steel mill. I want ALL my wits about me! TonyDVC

Stones
05-14-2009, 17:15
Here's my weekly routine:

1-3 pours on a Friday night after a weeks work
3-6 pours on a Sat night, sometimes a lot more if there is a cause for it! :lol:
1-3 pours on a Sunday night to savour the last hours of the weekend

I find if i don't drink from Mon to Thurs then the first sip on Friday arvo is truly epic!

:icon_pidu:

gnatty8
05-16-2009, 19:46
Here's my weekly routine:

1-3 pours on a Friday night after a weeks work
3-6 pours on a Sat night, sometimes a lot more if there is a cause for it! :lol:
1-3 pours on a Sunday night to savour the last hours of the weekend

I find if i don't drink from Mon to Thurs then the first sip on Friday arvo is truly epic!

:icon_pidu:

Pretty close to my routine also, except I back it up a night (4 or 5 on Friday, 3 or 4 on Saturday) and only rarely will I have a drink during a "school night". When the stress piles on at work though, I'll have an ounce or ounce and a half to unwind..

DeanSheen
05-20-2009, 14:34
Drink? Blehh.

I just taste a tablespoon here and there then out it goes into the spitbucket.

pepcycle
05-20-2009, 18:00
Frequency of Bourbon consumption is all relative

Somewhere between brushing teeth, sex and cigars.

(I realize that's a sixty day window for at least some of the above)

pepcycle
05-20-2009, 18:01
Well at least one!!!!:lol: :lol:

edo
05-21-2009, 00:49
One to three 50ml pours four or five times a week. After supper, before bed. Usually my wife joins me for one, or sometimes two pours.

Most of that is Early Times KSBW (very cheap here, and very tasty IMO), but also a lot of Wild Turkey 8 y.o., and some Wild Turkey Rye and Old Grand-dad 114, and Fitzgerald's 1849. Last night it was Irish Tullamore Dew, tho'. And once in a while a single malt- we got Glenmorangie Traditional, Dalwhinnie, Ardbeg, Jura and Abelor all opened and ready for service.

Single-Barrel
06-08-2009, 08:17
Well since I drive for a living I limit myself to 1 1/2 oz a night, when I am on the road that is "not driving" when I am enjoying my time off usually have 3 pours a day usually starting at noon and the last one before bedroom activities!!:bigeyes:

Eggman
06-17-2009, 03:21
Howdy,

Approximately 10oz/week as a nightcap and usually in Diet Coke.

Eggman