PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Old Weller Original 107 Gift

bnmekzoo
04-07-2008, 18:48
Hi,

This weekend a friend gave me a bottle of Old Weller - The Original 107 Proof Kentucky Bourbon. Her father passed away a few years ago and this bottle was from his collection. The copyright date on the bottle is 1970, but from the limited information I found online - it looks like it was probably bottled in 1976. The bottle has squiggly thin gold lines and the number V - 266 on it. It also came with a red velvet bag with gold closure ties.

I really enjoy a good whiskey and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a good whiskey and what it might be worth. Should I save it, or should I drink it?

Thanks,

Bruce

P.S. - I made a mistake in the title of my post, I meant to write 1976 Old Weller... not 1997.

TNbourbon
04-07-2008, 19:39
Hi,

This weekend a friend gave me a bottle of Old Weller - The Original 107 Proof Kentucky Bourbon. Her father passed away a few years ago and this bottle was from his collection. The copyright date on the bottle is 1970, but from the limited information I found online - it looks like it was probably bottled in 1976. The bottle has squiggly thin gold lines and the number V - 266 on it. It also came with a red velvet bag with gold closure ties.

I really enjoy a good whiskey and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a good whiskey and what it might be worth. Should I save it, or should I drink it?

Thanks,

Bruce

P.S. - I made a mistake in the title of my post, I meant to write 1976 Old Weller... not 1997.

If you've already opened it, its remaining value -- as it should be:cool: -- is as a potable. And, yes, it's very good bourbon -- from the defunct, Van Winkle-related Stitzel-Weller Distillery, which produced renowned and cherished whiskey.
So, if you mean by 'save it' to parcel out in a deliberate and appreciative, timely manner, by all means -- that's just the way to enjoy it. If, by 'save it' you mean let it sit unappreciated, as some sort of seldom-experienced relic -- man, what a waste!
I suspect your friend's father appreciated fine things because they were fine, not because they were things. Celebrate its fineness, not its 'thing-ness'.
By the way, the brand still exists, although the whiskey in it is distilled by the folks at Buffalo Trace Distillery. It remains popular, and well-priced -- under $25 a bottle, often under $20. I just finished a bottle earlier this evening, in fact. So, you may be able to replace it with current stock which also is very enjoyable -- though getting in somewhat thin supply, at least temporarily.

bnmekzoo
04-07-2008, 20:06
Thanks Tim,
I think I will enjoy it. Does whiskey get better with age or will this 30 year old bottle of whiskey taste the same as a 7 year old bottle?

TNbourbon
04-07-2008, 20:35
Thanks Tim,
I think I will enjoy it. Does whiskey get better with age or will this 30 year old bottle of whiskey taste the same as a 7 year old bottle?

It's still a 7yo whiskey. No aging occurs after bottling. But, this one likely doesn't need to get any better.
Enjoy. :toast: