PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Louisville

PhilsFan
04-07-2008, 20:31
Since I first stumbled onto Straightbourbon a few weeks ago, I've been so impressed...not just that there was more info on bourbon than I've ever seen before, but that you guys are real fans sharing your enthusiasm with members and non-members alike. After daily visits for the past few weeks, I'm hooked!

Thanks, Joe

ggilbertva
04-07-2008, 21:00
Joe, welcome to SB.com. You will find a ton of information within these forums. Make liberal use of the search function and don't be afraid to ask questions. Lots of knowledgeable people willing to help.

ACDetroit
04-07-2008, 21:06
Joe welcome aboard! God to have you, you will find the knowledge base here will exceed you interest in whiskey but let it grow on you! The site will! The folks here can really answer all your questions and have on many of mine!
Enjoy you whoskey journey as this is a great place to start it...so I've learned!!

Cheers!
Tony

fishnbowljoe
04-07-2008, 21:55
From one Joe to another, welcome. You'll love it here. I know I do. I'm a pretty new member myself. I've only really been into bourbon about 6 or 8 months, and I get info and recommendations here that help me with my growing bourbon obsession. I'm starting to try different bourbons and the info here has helped with some of my choices. Hope it's fun for you. Joe C.

DoubleT
04-08-2008, 06:30
Welcome aboard. Like you I am pretty new here as well although I've been a bourbon drinker for about 2...3....5....uh, 25 years. But until I found this site and started reading about the different bourbons, and then the forums reading about the different recommendations, tastes, etc. I thought bourbon was Maker's Mark, Old Grand Dad and Jim Beam. I never realized there were so many, and so many great ones. You will enjoy this place so tell your friends.

Moonshine Mike
04-08-2008, 18:42
Hey Joe, Welcome to a fellow Louisvillian. I'm still new here myself. The great thing is....no one holds that against you. SB is a great place to learn and experience new bourbons. :grin: Whether it's Maker's or Pappy...or god willing Jim Beam White (which I do not mind) everyone has their own opinion. I enjoy the fact that the price of the bottle does not hinder people's opinion.....

PhilsFan
04-08-2008, 19:42
Thanks for the welcome! It's funny, the thing that prompted me to look for bourbon info on the web and eventually find this site was a friend at work. He and I enjoy bourbon and discuss what we think of each one we try. Now that I've found SB.com, I told my friend about it and he's checking it out. But I wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on J W Dant? He says he just bought a bottle and likes it, but I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the forums.

-Joe

Tennessee Dave
04-08-2008, 21:14
WEelcome to SB.com!:cool:

spun_cookie
04-08-2008, 22:13
Welcom to the pub... enjoy the stay.., much to do and much to see

HighTower
04-09-2008, 04:22
Welcome aboard, Joe. Glad you found us here!

You couldn't really live in a better place being a bourbon fan!

Cheers!

Scott

chilidawg7
04-09-2008, 09:43
I echo Scott's sentiments - being a Bourbon man, there is no better place to live than Kentucky. I toured the distilleries 3 summers ago while visiting family and that is when my obsession officially began.

I would suggest taking those tours if your schedule allows it. The folks at the distilleries are just as helpful and insightful as the folks here on the board.

Welcome!

Bud
04-09-2008, 15:34
Welcome aboard! Enjoying some 1792 atm, and perusing as only a noob can do.

So, how does one from Louisville become a Phillies Fan? I am a Philadelphian and a homer to the nth degree. However you came to see the light, nice to see you. Go Phils!

PhilsFan
04-09-2008, 19:21
Actually I'm originally from Parkside (near Chester, Pa) grew up there and spent the first 22 years of my life in the Philly area. My Dad took me to my first game at Connie Mack Stadium when I was 7 years old. I go to see them when they're in Cincinnati (last weekend saw the Sunday 8-2 loss) & go to Chicago to see them at Wrigley.
This summer I'll take my Mom (she's now in Lancaster Pa and also a lifelong Phils fan) to Citizens Bank park to see the Phils play the Mets.

Speaking of the Mets, they're killing the Phils this game and I'm consoling myself with a pour of FRSB...The bourbon is way better than the game:lol:
-Joe

cigarnv
06-08-2008, 15:15
Actually I'm originally from Parkside (near Chester, Pa) grew up there and spent the first 22 years of my life in the Philly area. My Dad took me to my first game at Connie Mack Stadium when I was 7 years old. I go to see them when they're in Cincinnati (last weekend saw the Sunday 8-2 loss) & go to Chicago to see them at Wrigley.
This summer I'll take my Mom (she's now in Lancaster Pa and also a lifelong Phils fan) to Citizens Bank park to see the Phils play the Mets.

Speaking of the Mets, they're killing the Phils this game and I'm consoling myself with a pour of FRSB...The bourbon is way better than the game:lol:
-Joe

Joe, Phils fan here also. Spent many a day at Connie Mack. Grew up in Hunting Park in North Philly... took the Broad Street subway to see the Phils play at CM. Had season tickets at the Vet for many years. I am sure you recall the days of Richy Allen, Johnny Calison, Bobby Wine, Don Demeter.... and the list goes on...

PhilsFan
06-08-2008, 18:04
Joe, Phils fan here also. Spent many a day at Connie Mack. Grew up in Hunting Park in North Philly... took the Broad Street subway to see the Phils play at CM. Had season tickets at the Vet for many years. I am sure you recall the days of Richy Allen, Johnny Calison, Bobby Wine, Don Demeter.... and the list goes on...

I sure do, in fact my home office is decorated in Phillies, most of it from the 60's including the bobblehead that is my avatar on SB.com.
It's the only room in the house that Penny would let me decorate!

I'm really enjoying the current Phils season...these guys could be one of the best Phils team I've ever seen and I've been a fan since '61.

I thought I saw you mention a couple of get-togethers with the guys from DC, do you still live in the Philly area or are you in Virginia?

-Joe

cigarnv
06-09-2008, 06:29
Joe, I am in Virginia just outside of DC.. been here for 20+ years. I do get to the Philly area a few times a year as I have family in Doylestown, Sellersville and friends throughout the area. Sadly Hunting Park is a battle zone so I have not been there in years.... not even safe to drive through. Do you get to Philly or DC??

PhilsFan
06-09-2008, 06:44
Joe, I am in Virginia just outside of DC.. been here for 20+ years. I do get to the Philly area a few times a year as I have family in Doylestown, Sellersville and friends throughout the area. Sadly Hunting Park is a battle zone so I have not been there in years.... not even safe to drive through. Do you get to Philly or DC??

I usually fly into BWI about 4 times a year to see my Mom and sister... I drive from Baltimore to Lancaster, PA on those trips.
Penny & I take a road trip East the first week of July every year. We drive through Baltimore and head first to Wilmington, DE, where her sister lives, and then up to Lancaster. My brother, nephews, my Mom and I will go to the Phils/Mets game at Citizens Bank Park on July 6th.

Do you ever get to any of the Nats games in their new park?

-Joe

cigarnv
06-09-2008, 07:07
Have not been to a Nats game yet but get to Baltimore for a few games a year. I am about an hour from BWI.... let me know the next time you are in (after July 6th) and lets see if we can catch up for a pour.