PDA

View Full Version : Empty Bottles Support Group New & Improved

Pages : [1] 2

cowdery
04-09-2008, 15:23
Okay, there's nothing really new or improved about it, but the old thread was getting unwieldy, so let's start again.

We all know how hard it is to finish a bottle of whiskey, especially one that cannot be easily replaced. It's hard, but it's part of life.

This thread is here for you to seek support and provide support to others. We feel your pain. This thread is for saying goodbye to special friends as they become empty vessels, a fate that awaits us all.

I'll begin with the unkindest cut of all, the last bourbon bargain.

I have one drink left in a bottle of Old Heaven Hill 10-year-old BIB. I was just in Louisville and when I went to replace it at Liquor Barn it was not to be found. The replacement--or at least the oldest Old Heaven Hill BIB they had with an age statement on it--was a six-year-old.

I bought the 10-year-old at Liquor Barn last September for $8.49. My guess is we won't see a 10-year-old BIB for under $10 again in our lifetimes, so brothers and sisters, can I have a little love?

doubleblank
04-09-2008, 15:30
Aw, pobrecito, I feel your pain. I too wince when I empty some of those not so long ago "bargains" that can't be replaced. Last night it was an ORVW 10/107 L'burg that cost me $23. It's been replaced on the shelf with different whiskey at a much higher price.

Randy

TNbourbon
04-09-2008, 22:07
With the coming, temporary (we hope) shortage of all things Weller, I went out and grabbed the last three Antique 107s locally a couple of weeks ago. I plowed through the first one in about 10 days (a near-record here!) -- much of it enjoyed through a coating of diet cola (hey, I like it that way -- not exclusively -- okay?! And it was MINE.). I'm not likely to treat the other two so cavalierly.
Also, finished a 'manufactured' rarity -- a 750ml of yellow-label OC 12, thus post-label-change, pre-discontinuance -- over the weekend.

barturtle
04-09-2008, 22:19
During Sunday's Chat, Willett 22yo...I surprised I managed to stretch this bottle out so long...A damn fine bottling, one that is sure to be missed.

JeffRenner
04-09-2008, 22:40
I have one drink left in a bottle of Old Heaven Hill 10-year-old BIB. I was just in Louisville and when I went to replace it at Liquor Barn it was not to be found.

That is truly sad. That bottle is one that I always bought when visiting Cincinnati. The label alone was worth the price!

I just finished my last of a pre-fire bottle a couple of weeks ago, and have it on my standing shopping list for Cincinnati friends who shuttle back and forth between there and here. Guess I may have to ask for a substitute.

OTOH, I found that the six-year-old was also very nice - feistier, but full of character.

Jeff

barturtle
04-09-2008, 23:00
I actually made a point to put aside a few bottles of VROHH, knowing that the fire/transition to Bernhiem was upon us for that one. Hopefully it was just a temperary thing and not a permanent situation...though they had climbed to a jaw-dropping $13

gothbat
04-12-2008, 21:56
I just emptied the last of my SB.com PVW23 (barrel 2) into a snifter, which I raise to those who made this happen. Thanks again, I'll definitely miss this one!

spun_cookie
04-13-2008, 00:30
WTKS came to and end last night... now I have room for two more... that bottle is way to wide..!!!!

cowdery
04-13-2008, 12:23
I had two partial bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel. The first--one of the Party Source specials--fell a few weeks ago. The other--a standard issue--just bit the dust too. I'm still holding tight to that last drink of the 10-year-old Heaven Hill but that's next.

I sure do like that Four Roses.

jburlowski
04-13-2008, 12:44
Drained the last of the 2007 OFBB and a EWSB 1995.

I feel so empty...

TNbourbon
04-13-2008, 13:27
Am trying to kill off some "minimally-full" bottles in case I bring home another batch of them from the Sampler later this month. In the past couple of days, those included a Yamakazi 12yo single malt, and the remains of a decanted Michter's 101-proof, pot-still decanter.

TNbourbon
04-14-2008, 21:55
Tonight, the bottle graveyard accepted an '07 Larue Weller, which took me since last fall to finish. As I still have an '06 left which I'm in no hurry, or have no need, to open before next fall's issue arrives, I'll have to assuage myself with other things. Ah, well...

MrAtomic
04-14-2008, 23:58
Well,

If Scotch bottles are eligible, I'd like to participate.

Tonight I said goodbye to a bottle of Talisker 18. I enjoyed every drop -- it's gentler than Talisker 10 yet still very interesting. I'm particularly sad because I don't think it will be replaced too soon, as it's significantly more expensive than the ten-year bottling (at least in my area). On the bright side, I have a bottle of WT12 that a friend brought back from Japan lurking in the wings, waiting for me to open very soon.

SBOmarc
04-15-2008, 23:00
OGD 114, I need to replace it right now.

Van Winkle Lot B and a ORVW 10/90. Both well bunkered.

EricABQ
04-16-2008, 10:19
Last night I finished a VWFRR 13 (F series.) It's always sad to empty one of these because I have not seen any on the shelves here since the F series was released. Fortunately, I have 5 more unopened, but I don't anticipate seeing this around here again.

JamesW
04-16-2008, 21:15
Just killed 2 bottles.... Julio's centennial 13 yr (got 12 more bunkered) and a VSOF (gotta get another).

cowdery
04-17-2008, 10:51
I bought and finished a bottle of Evan Williams black label on Tuesday. Two points to clarify. I was in Oklahoma City and it was a 200 ml. I mention this primarily because that sort of situation is the only time I buy a small size, so I seldom look at the selection. This little liquor store, not far from the airport, had quite a selection of smalls, and very high prices on them. I paid over $3 for the EW. They also had the green label Evan and--this was a surprise--Mellow Corn in smalls.

I have a recently-purchased 750 ml of EW black still unopened, that I bought last week, for $9.29 at Liquor Barn in Louisville.

EricABQ
04-17-2008, 18:56
Finished a Laphroaig 15 tonight. I had been working on this over the winter, and since this evening is fairly cool I decided to finish it off. It was a really good bottle. I most likely won't open anything peaty again until the fall, so that was a good send off.

OscarV
04-17-2008, 19:07
Finished a Laphroaig 15 tonight. I most likely won't open anything peaty again until the fall, so that was a good send off.

I am that way with wheated bourbons.
I am working on finishing up a few open wheaters.
I probably won't open another until the first wave of Autumn's cool air comes in.

In the meantime I can't wait to get into the Turkeys, Roses and the warm summer time.

JamesW
04-18-2008, 08:00
Killing a lot of bottles this week. Old Forester Birthday '07. Great bourbon. I will have to pick up another next time I'm out to Julio's.... The bottle is very nice but takes up too much room on the shelf (I know, minor inconvenience)

spun_cookie
04-18-2008, 20:32
The end of the better of two Pure Kentuky 107.... good, not great, but definitly good bourbon...

HipFlask
04-19-2008, 16:30
I went mellow today and a very nice bottle of FR Small Batch poured it's last glass. Cheers to Mr Rutledge and crew. Time for a road trip to Chicago. I can't wait for FR to come to Wisconsin later on this year.

Rake
04-20-2008, 02:17
With a heavy heart, I commit Pappy Van Winkle 15 to the recycling bin tonight. He will be remembered & replaced.

ILLfarmboy
04-20-2008, 20:58
After I 'freshen' my drink one more time, this bottle of BT will be officially a dead soldier.

I have several bottles that need to be finished before I open any more. Tomorrow I may finish a Weller Antique.

spun_cookie
04-20-2008, 21:01
RHF from the Binny's bight the dust...

mgilbertva
04-22-2008, 19:51
My much loved GTS 2006, purchased last April, opened last August, now gone.

Fortunately I have two more bottles. Whew.

mgilbertva
04-23-2008, 19:10
Finished another one tonight: Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2004. It's a bitter-sweet moment.

In the past I panned this bourbon for being way too peppery. I opened it a year ago, and for the first few months it was undrinkable - really unpleasant. White pepper dominated the flavor to the exclusion of almost everything else. Here I am almost exactly one year later and it has become an outstanding pour.

I take it back, all the hard feelings, the disappointment, the anger. I take it all back.

Tonight, it rewarded me with a rich, complex experience. Leather, toffee and some woodiness on the nose. More toffee than caramel on the palate, with molasses, leather and tobacco, plus a suggestion of bitter orange. Some spice, but the pepper is almost entirely gone. Very nice finish - not an enormous finish like Handy, but it lasts a long time.

It reminds me of a sweeter, less overpowering GTS, but still strong enough in its own right.

I'll miss you, OFBB '04. Despite our initial rough start, you proved to be a good friend. :cry:

ggilbertva
04-27-2008, 15:29
Finished another one tonight: Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2004. It's a bitter-sweet moment.

In the past I panned this bourbon for being way too peppery. I opened it a year ago, and for the first few months it was undrinkable - really unpleasant. White pepper dominated the flavor to the exclusion of almost everything else. Here I am almost exactly one year later and it has become an outstanding pour.

I take it back, all the hard feelings, the disappointment, the anger. I take it all back.

Tonight, it rewarded me with a rich, complex experience. Leather, toffee and some woodiness on the nose. More toffee than caramel on the palate, with molasses, leather and tobacco, plus a suggestion of bitter orange. Some spice, but the pepper is almost entirely gone. Very nice finish - not an enormous finish like Handy, but it lasts a long time.

It reminds me of a sweeter, less overpowering GTS, but still strong enough in its own right.

I'll miss you, OFBB '04. Despite our initial rough start, you proved to be a good friend. :cry:

Mark - his twin brother is sitting on my shelf at home....come get it.

ggilbertva
04-27-2008, 15:31
See ya later alligator......Bernhiem Wheat Whiskey. It got ignored and shoved to the back of the pantry because there were other's that needed by attention.

gothbat
04-27-2008, 16:53
Finished off my bottle of Old Overholt this weekend. If I find a dusty one or a BIB version I'll buy it but I doubt I'll ever buy another one of the current bottling, it tasted like something you would use to clean.

JamesW
04-27-2008, 20:22
Killed an ORVW 10/107... great bottle, easy drinkin'. I have another bunkered but I'll need to stock up on this puppy. At $26.69, it's one great deal.

JamesW
05-01-2008, 20:44
Just killed my Lot B. 1 bunkered, great pour. Cheers!

spun_cookie
05-02-2008, 00:38
my Vintage 17 came to an end tonight... now on to the WL Weler 90 proof... may she rest in peice soon...

heatmiser
05-02-2008, 02:34
Just finished a bottle of ORVW15. Thank goodness I have about 6 more stored in my bunker. This is my all time favorite!!!

shyster512
05-03-2008, 21:12
Parkers Heritage Cask Strength. Man was this a pleasant surprise from Heaven Hill. I will buy another, if I can find it.

DowntownD
05-04-2008, 23:39
in the last 30 days or so I had going-away parties for bottles of:

- Booker's
- PVW 15/107
- VWFR Lot B
- ER 10yr SB

I see a FR SWmB bottle nearing its end, expect its obit soon.

spun_cookie
05-05-2008, 00:13
one bottle of pure KY down... 80% of another to go...

ggilbertva
05-06-2008, 20:55
Binny's pick Weller 12 year (which is actually 14 years) dead and gone. Thankfully I have a couple more.

callmeox
05-06-2008, 21:05
I guess that this is a bad night for Binny's Weller 12. I take great pleasure in committing my first one to the recycle bin and only because I have three more in the bunker. I should just break down and buy a case of the stuff.

Aw, man. Now I have to pull one out of the bunker. :bigeyes:

jspero
05-07-2008, 17:55
Well, since the last time I visited SB.com (last year sometime before I started a new project at work), I've killed a GTS (131), a Weller special bottling, an Eagle Rare 90, 2 Rittenhouse Ryes, an OGD BIB, and an OGD 114. I working hard on a few more. :)

Jay

fishnbowljoe
05-11-2008, 19:50
Said goodbye to my first bottle of 1792 yesterday. Not bad bourbon, but I'm not sure if I'll get another to bunker. I just have way too much for the time being. Gotta make some room. Joe

spun_cookie
05-11-2008, 20:10
Killed WLW 7/90. That is a taste little number....

TNbourbon
05-11-2008, 20:12
As referenced elsewhere, a 2001 Weller 19yo, gifted by BobbyC recently in Bardstown.
Much enjoyed, and glad to have the bottle as a relic...

CorvallisCracker
05-11-2008, 21:10
Finishing off an Old Ezra 7/101, tonight's sip being vatted 1:1 with Weller Antique, which is how I've consumed most of it.

It was okay, especially for $15, but I doubt I'll buy another.

Now that space has been liberated in the liquor cabinet (gotten crowded in there), I'll probably get either a BT (one of my standard pours) which is on sale this month for $22, or possibly JB BL, which I haven't had in years and is also on sale (for $18).

fishnbowljoe
05-11-2008, 21:59
Finally finished that bottle of Knob Creek. Joe

drli
05-12-2008, 18:53
Well, I finished off my bottle of 07 Stagg... next year I can only hope that its as good a year as the 07 and that I am able to get more... bottles.

I still have a Sazarac 18y and a W.L. Weller left in the bunker. So, I should be alright until fall.

Working on a ORVW 10/107 tonight... 2-3 more bunked.... but, that will be the next KILL.

JamesW
05-12-2008, 20:38
Killed a Centennial 13 yr Julio's bottling last night. Only 10 more bunkered and then they're gone. I also prematurely killed a Bakers that had about a 1/4 btl left by pouring into my vatted collection. The vatted has EC18, JBB, WTRB and now Bakers. Good riddance.

TNbourbon
05-12-2008, 20:45
...I also prematurely killed a Bakers that had about a 1/4 btl left by pouring into my vatted collection. The vatted has EC18, JBB, WTRB and now Bakers. Good riddance.

I hope you taste that vatting once in a while. Sometimes, serendipity makes it the best thing in the house!

JamesW
05-12-2008, 21:05
I hope you taste that vatting once in a while. Sometimes, serendipity makes it the best thing in the house!

Actually I do throw it in the mix once in a while when I'm slumming it with my low-priced pours and it hasn't been too bad. On the rare occasion I make a whiskey sour or Manhattan I'll use it. I liken it to getting a free drink as I'd already written off the contents of that bottle anyhow http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

DowntownD
05-14-2008, 22:35
my first bottle of Elmer T Lee bit the dust tonight, and a damn fine bottle it was - liked by everyone I shared it with.

mgilbertva
05-14-2008, 22:46
Finished off my WT Rye 101. A great value, in my opinion, almost on par with the Ritt BIB or even ORVW 7/107.

jburlowski
05-15-2008, 16:42
Said good-bye to another EWSB 1995. Only one left in the bunker... sigh.

callmeox
05-15-2008, 20:47
My first bottle of FRSB has been drained as of this evening.

With great fondness I remember the panic in my voice as I asked the gas station attendant in Ashland, Kentucky to direct me to the nearest liquor store before dark fell. In order to keep my schedule, I had to be in Portsmouth, Ohio that evening with a few more stops in-between, so I was really pressed for time.

I wasn't sure what I would find at that CVS or if they would be selling hard liquor at that hour of the evening, but I was delighted to find the FRSB as well as 50ml bottles of WTRB that were the deal of the say at 1.50 each.

Had I known that the liquid inside of the Four Roses bottle was so delightful, I surely would have purchased more than the one bottle that I did for the paltry sum of 26.99.

Even though it was just last August that the FRSB was purchased, it feels like a lifetime has passed since that day.

I'll miss you, but don't fret dear friend as there's leather-ringed replacement waiting to take your place.

dcb
05-16-2008, 09:51
last night we finished off a WT 101 and an OGD BiB.

ACDetroit
05-17-2008, 19:28
Last night was a bottle of WT 101 8 year old current export Liter and the last of ORVW 12 yr old Lot "B".

Tony

spun_cookie
05-17-2008, 19:30
B-Day 2007 bit teh dust tonight... great to the last drop...

callmeox
05-17-2008, 21:21
A superb bottle of Blanton's bit the dust this evening. Probably the bestest gift that my brother-in-law ever gave me. :yum:

HipFlask
05-24-2008, 16:49
It is with great saddness that I announce the demise of Old Grand Dad 114. It was a great pour one I turned to many times when I wanted whiskey but needed something a little differnt. Happily I was able to send him off to the recyling bin with a honorary pour from a fresh bottle of good ole WT101.

DowntownD
05-25-2008, 02:19
I was equally happy and sad to see my first bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye go... very happy with the experience I've had with this bottle as well as happy that I've been turned on to something so good and totally new to me - yet sad that I'm now Rye-less until I get more.

this VWFRR is firmly in my top-5 whiskeys now - and it may end up being supplanted by some other Rye I haven't tried yet but who knows; in any case - thanks to you fine folks at SB.com at least there's one Rye in the bunch - which is one more than there was two weeks ago...

goodbye new friend, VWFRR; I look forward to drinking you again.

JamesW
05-25-2008, 21:18
Pappy 20 just passed. 2 bunkered and plenty on the store shelves so no worries. Damn good whiskey.

blux
05-31-2008, 16:24
I am sending off a much enjoyed bottle of 1792. I liked the woodiness and and the wonderful overall flavor. I will definately re-purchase this bottle but, I have a few more to polish off before I do that. This bourbon is near the top of my list.

Thesh
05-31-2008, 17:20
I said goodbye to a bottle of WT Rye today...

Some people here, might hunt me down and kill me for saying this, but I mixed it with coke.

mozilla
05-31-2008, 19:31
I said goodbye to a bottle of WT Rye today...

Some people here, might hunt me down and kill me for saying this, but I mixed it with coke.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: Now......what did you say your address was again? :smiley_acbt:

spun_cookie
06-01-2008, 19:29
the end of a WTRR... ho-hum

pepcycle
06-02-2008, 14:42
This is my last full week in Kentucky.

I've been nursing my Stagg collection since the first release and never finished a bottle until this week.
I killed them in order, starting with the initial release.
Last night was the Fall and Spring 2005's, both of which were rich in charcoal murk at the bottom. In the evening light, the color appeared bilious green, which didn't stop me from drinking it.
I did give it a second look but charged on.
The 2006 is the last open Stagg I have. I will play Taps, as the top of my sideboard is cleared of opened bottles.

All my full ones are packed and ready to go.

I can hear echoes of "My Old Kentucky Home" and a tear is welling up in the corner of my eye.

Gillman
06-02-2008, 14:54
Well Ed, now you have to give us the inside scoop on Tuthilltown. :) But seriously, if you have to leave Kentucky, what a way to go!

Funny you say that about the green color. In the Getz there is a bottle of late 1800's bourbon that has a frankly emerald hue.

Further testament to the authenticity of modern George Stagg!

Gary

OscarV
06-03-2008, 14:20
I need some support, I am very emotional and distraught right now.
The following bottle I have just emptied and needs a proper send off.

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve
23 Year Old
Kentucky Barrel Society 2007 Barrel C
Single Barrel DSP KY-16
Distilled April 9, 1984
Bottled without chill-filtering June 27, 2007

ACDetroit, Dr. Francois, ThomasH, StraightBoston and myself were honored to have enjoyed this.
Gentleman please, give a moment of silence only to be broken by the sound of your favorite bourbon being poured into a glass.

cowdery
06-04-2008, 00:07
I have this vision of you sucking the empty bottle inside out.

Tonight for me, nothing so momentous. A Rittenhouse Rye BIB. It's rye. It's BIB. What could possibly go wrong?

HighTower
06-04-2008, 04:33
I need some support, I am very emotional and distraught right now.
The following bottle I have just emptied and needs a proper send off.

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve
23 Year Old
Kentucky Barrel Society 2007 Barrel C
Single Barrel DSP KY-16
Distilled April 9, 1984
Bottled without chill-filtering June 27, 2007

ACDetroit, Dr. Francois, ThomasH, StraightBoston and myself were honored to have enjoyed this.
Gentleman please, give a moment of silence only to be broken by the sound of your favorite bourbon being poured into a glass.

Oscar,

I will give one minute's silence for the loss of this bottle.

I haven't visited mine since I was last at Cam's house, but I have a funny feeling it will make an appearance in about 5 weeks time...........

Scott

Virus_Of_Life
06-06-2008, 03:39
All my full ones are packed and ready to go.

I can hear echoes of "My Old Kentucky Home" and a tear is welling up in the corner of my eye.

Wow Ed, I almost get teary when I leave Kentucky after being there merely a few days. I can only imagine how you must be feeling! Best of luck on your new journey.

As for me, it was a difficult/impossible bottle to replace; mid '70s Eagle Rare 101. Man was this a fine pour! I have one virtually identical in the bunker and one much more recent but still 101. I fear it'll be a long time until the twin to this bottle is opened unless I find another to take it's place.

spun_cookie
06-06-2008, 22:48
well.. my fitst PVW 23 just bit the dust... that means I am down to 30 opens... 15 more and the willett 25 yr gets opened :D

JamesW
06-07-2008, 07:44
Weller Antique 7/107. OK bourbon. I won't replace for a while since I have a Weller SR on the shelf and 1 bunkered so I have enough of this profile in my collection.

gblick
06-07-2008, 15:00
Weller Antique 7/107. OK bourbon. I won't replace for a while since I have a Weller SR on the shelf and 1 bunkered so I have enough of this profile in my collection.If you ever run across any of the older 'Louisville' bottlings from 1999 and earlier, you should give it a try.

TNbourbon
06-11-2008, 22:44
Classic Cask 15yo rye, distilled 1984, bottled 1999, #494/600. Didn't care for it. No one else did, either, since this sucker was still alive after several trips to Bardstown (opened Sampler 2006!). Too woody, as in 'oak-panel veneer'. I've been deliberately trying to drown it since returning home from this year's Sampler. Ending it all tonight under a good coating of (diet) ginger ale. I STILL get a tinge of cardboard!
Its 22yo sibling disappeared during the Sampler -- I assume the last third-bottle got finished. It was much better -- the reason any of THAT one remained is because I'd been hoarding it.
I wonder why the same folks produce two such different whiskeys under the same name, aegis.:skep:

OscarV
06-12-2008, 14:14
Just emptied an Old Weller Antique 107.
I am thinning out my open bottles before I open anything new.
I never have more than 6 open at one time, I know this is nothing compared to others here.
I am down to 4 open now.

OscarV
06-16-2008, 15:19
I just emptied a Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.
I've been nipping at it for a few weeks now and yesterday I had several while looking over "Whiskey" by Marc A Hoffman.
My daughter Tess gave it to me yesterday for Father's Day.
It is a good book. Lots of pictures, has all the distilleries of the world with facts and figures about what they make.
They have 117 distilleries listed in Scotland, I had no idea.

spun_cookie
06-17-2008, 22:22
My 07 Stagg when to the great beyond tonight... next up on teh list is my Fall 05

cowdery
06-18-2008, 01:37
Heaven Hill 10-year-old BIB and Bulleit. For some reason, the Bulleit tasted very good to me and wants to be immediately replaced.

jburlowski
06-18-2008, 15:38
Finally finished off a bottle of WTRR 101 that had been standing patiently on the side of the bar with one pour left. For no particular reason, tonight was the night.

As good as I remembered....

CorvallisCracker
06-18-2008, 22:40
Tonight I'm finishing off a JB BL, the same way I started it: neat, in a copita.

It was a case of revisiting a bourbon I hadn't sampled for over ten years; longer I think, because the last time was when it was aged "101 months".

Wanted to see if it could substitute for BT as a "daily pour" ryed bourbon. The answer is no.

Not that it's bad, but I like BT a lot more, and they cost the same ($21.95 here in OR). The BT went down in price, from $23.95, on May 1st; even if it goes back up to that on July 1st it still offers a better QPR (at least for me). The OLCC will publish the July price list on the 20th; if it is going up I'll bunker a few bottles.

As for the JB BL, it was interesting to try the current expression. I like the nose a lot, but there's a bit of mid-palate bitterness. Not much, mind you, but enough to keep it from being a favorite.

Drank it neat, on the rocks, and with Coke. Being only 86 proof, it gets too dilute too fast with ice. Works well with Coke, but so does EW BL and that costs onlly $9.95. So it won't be replaced.

Maybe I'll try it again...in 2018...

fishnbowljoe
06-19-2008, 00:26
Said goodbye to Elmer tonight.:frown: He sure was good to me. Joe

JamesW
06-22-2008, 20:42
Killed another Pappy 15 tonight. 3 bunkered. Still my favorite and each downed bottle scares me that there'll be no more.

SBOmarc
06-23-2008, 13:53
Thomas H Handy Rye, Fall '06

To say that it was enjoyed simply doesn't suffice. This bottle was savored.
It will be replaced, but most likely not until this Fall when the '08 BTAC is released. I can only hope that the people at Buffalo Trace increase production so Handy can be found longer into the year. The '07 disappeared quickly.

StraightBoston
06-23-2008, 14:45
Over the weekend, knocked down a MM red wax 375 and an Evan Williams black label (still marked "aged 7 years") -- not noteworthy, except it's been months since I've actually emptied any bottles instead of cycling between what's open.

callmeox
06-23-2008, 15:24
My first bottle of Weller Antique hit the recycle bin last evening. It was thoroughly enjoyed and I'm glad that I have one bunkered.

OldJack
06-23-2008, 15:29
Last night, the last drops of ODG-BIB met their match. Meanwhile, the final third of a bottle of Ten High found it's way into my never-ending vatting blend which is mostly for mixing.

Tonight, the Weller Antique will give up the ghost. Fortunately, there is a bottle of Eagle Rare ready to come out of hiding and enter the cabinet and take the WA's place.

OscarV
06-23-2008, 15:32
Yesterday I tossed a WLWeller 12yo Binny's bottle in the recycle bin.
Oh, BTW, it was empty:grin:

StraightBoston
06-23-2008, 19:33
Boy -- lots of Weller Antique being finished off these days! (I'm close to the end of one of mine, but it's S-W whiskey from the 80's and I'm loath to let it disappear...)

spun_cookie
07-03-2008, 00:15
Well, it took a while but the EC18, EC12 and the RHFs have gone to the grat bottle beyond.... the RHFs was the best of teh bunch...

barturtle
07-03-2008, 10:05
I've been slowly paring down my opens, in the last few nights the following have hit the recycling bin:

Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve Rye
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
Rittenhouse BIB
Four Roses Single Barrel

Pretty soon it will be bottle opening time! Hooray, for new whiskies to drink!

cowdery
07-03-2008, 12:06
Me too with a Weller Antique, this one a Cork-N-Bottle special single barrel edition. Antique is fine, with its Old Rip-looking label, but I still prefer Weller 12 and even Weller Special Reserve.

OscarV
07-03-2008, 12:43
I agree Chuck.
Here from favorite at the top is the way I rank the 5 different Wellers'.

William Larue Weller BTAC
Centennial
Special Reserve
12 year old
Antique

Special Reserve
07-03-2008, 12:52
Oscar,

For my tastes, I'd switch Special Reserve and 12Yr and I like Special Reserve as it is a common go to drink in my home.

Will

CorvallisCracker
07-03-2008, 12:54
My order is:

12yo - Centennial (tie)
Antique
SR

Never had the BTAC version.

OscarV
07-03-2008, 13:16
Oscar,

For my tastes, I'd switch Special Reserve and 12Yr

Will

Yeah, they are close for me and sometimes I'd switch 'em to.
But I like them all very much.

HighTower
07-11-2008, 17:19
I keep saying I need to empty some bottles, but I seem to open more than I kill.
Last night a WT American Spirit came to it's end. It wasn't as sad as it could have been though, I just opened another one :grin:
It's the only bottle I've killed in a while and this week I opened a Basil Hayden's, Maker's Mark and a Woodford Reserve.
Now there's just more bottles to empty!

Scott

spun_cookie
07-11-2008, 17:34
The EW Antebellum dies today :(

ANyone else got one they want to trade to me... I will entertain all offers....

mgilbertva
07-11-2008, 18:47
My condolences. That was a special bottle.

JamesW
07-11-2008, 19:59
Just killed another Julio's Weller. That last pour was really great. I have about 9 more bunkered (I have to go count them). I wonder what the centennial is going to be rebranded as.

cigarnv
07-12-2008, 05:36
Killed a few Turkey's this past week...

WT RB
WT KS

gblick
07-12-2008, 14:41
Finished a Pappy 15 last night.

birdman1099
07-12-2008, 18:49
well, A valiant WT Russell Reserve 101 was put to rest. This slowly became my fav daily.:frown:

If anyone has a replacement for me, I have a nice bounty of traders available !!!:grin:

OscarV
07-16-2008, 14:37
Just finished a Wild Turkey Rare Breed.
BTW, it was not the one I bought yesterday.

smokinjoe
07-16-2008, 14:47
Just finished a Wild Turkey Rare Breed.
BTW, it was not the one I bought yesterday.

Whew!! :drinking: You had me worried there for a second, O. :D

JOE

fishnbowljoe
07-16-2008, 15:16
Well, it's been about 15 months or so since I started getting more into bourbon. I've kept most of my empties, give or take a couple. I've got a couple from bars when I ordered a drink and finished the bottle, and I have thrown a couple away. So, attached are my empties for said time period. I did have a little help finishing some, but not much.:drinking: Joe

OscarV
07-16-2008, 15:20
I've kept most of my empties, give or take a couple.

Hey Joe, I have at least one of everything I have had.
I dunno why, it just seems like the thing to do.

CorvallisCracker
07-16-2008, 16:23
Hey Joe, I have at least one of everything I have had.
I dunno why, it just seems like the thing to do.

I'm saving mine up to do a 2008/Corvallis/bourbon bottles/Yamaha/myself version of the infamous 1947/Hollister/beer bottles/Harley/some-local-drunk-who-posed-for-the-photo-and-is-damn-lucky-the-bike's-owner-was-not-around-or-he-would've-gotten-his-butt-kicked original (http://www.bikernet.com/news/images/PhotoID29784.jpg).

fishnbowljoe
07-17-2008, 23:23
Ooops! Add one to the list. My bottle of Old Forester Signature 100. Finished it while talking to you in the Gazebo tonight Scott.:lol: Joe

JamesW
07-18-2008, 18:50
just killed another ORVW 10/107... only 1 bunkered. I hope I don't have problems getting more cause I really like this stuff

fishnbowljoe
07-31-2008, 22:41
So long to my bottle of Weller SR. Great bourbon at a great price. Joe

fishnbowljoe
08-01-2008, 22:37
Finished off a bottle of Weller Antique tonight. Finally clearing out some much needed space space in my liquor cabinet. Joe

callmeox
08-03-2008, 16:25
Evan Williams black and a 375 of Beam black bit the dust last evening. Evan hit the recycle bin and Jim is being recycled in to a bottle to carry other whiskeys to parties, etc.

OscarV
08-03-2008, 18:15
Just poured my last of the FRSB.
Warehouse No. LW
Barrel No. 53-4C

Didn't mean to empty it, but each pour just got better.

barturtle
08-07-2008, 00:38
While visiting one of my friends, we killed my lone bottle of 1988 vintage George Dickel #12 that was gifted to me by a fellow member. I enjoyed it much and can only hope to find another such bottle sometime in the future.

fishnbowljoe
08-10-2008, 02:11
Two more down. Ancient Ancient Age 10 yr old, and Bulleit. Will probably finish one bottle of Buffalo Trace tomorrow. As stated in the "What Are You Drinking? forum, I'm just working my way down the alphabet. :grin: Joe

fishnbowljoe
08-10-2008, 20:13
One bottle of BT to the empties bin. Joe

spun_cookie
08-10-2008, 20:59
Its beena slaughter around here latly... OWA, XO, RR90, LotB, and one other that I cannot remember....

cowdery
08-11-2008, 14:40
Jack Daniel's Silver Select.

fishnbowljoe
08-11-2008, 19:38
Emptied a bottle of Old Forester and a bottle of Weller 12. Fortunately, I have two more bottles of the Weller 12. Joe

Rake
08-11-2008, 22:25
Brave Thomas H. Handy ('07) met his end today. At this point, I'll have to decide whether to build up my stock of the last two years' Handy or just wait for the '08.

It's a win/win.

ACDetroit
08-12-2008, 21:57
One bottle of Julio's Centennial dies tonight! I think to evaporation! but it seems I can still taste the vapor when I wake in the morning! Mmmmm Good!

Cheers!
Tony

jburlowski
08-16-2008, 12:09
So long to an OFBB 2007.... gotta make room for the 2008 in a few weeks.

cowdery
08-18-2008, 09:28
Wild Turkey 101. It undoubtedly will be replaced.

StraightBoston
08-20-2008, 11:04
Last night spun_cookie and I finished off my 1969 Old Fitzgerald BIB from the "Sons of Erin" decanter -- it held up well against a mighty array of other S-W expressions!

(Although the decanter had long been, er, decanted, into a wine bottle, I kept it -- since it says "The Emerald Isle" it now belongs to Emerald!)

fishnbowljoe
08-21-2008, 16:03
One bottle of JB Black down, four to go.:skep: Joe

OscarV
08-23-2008, 09:56
My computer was down from Tues afternoon until yesterday.
Thursday I came to the end of a Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and had no where to go for support.
I was a spine-less weeping mess, I needed some support and could not get on-line to SB.com for it.
The best way to handle the problem I thought was to open a new bottle of WTKS.
So I did, it helped a lot, but I thought what if I had no more, the results could have been tragic.
Maybe we should form a phone tree like AA has when you need to call someone to talk you through the night.

ACDetroit
08-23-2008, 10:52
Oscar, just checked my missed calls and history on my phone!! No calls from the (517). You know I'm here for you brother, now I know it's a drive but I also have a WTKS open on the bar and it's here to help you through as well!
Should have some more tonight from the South (:toast:). So that will help both of us out.

Cheers!

Tony

cowdery
08-23-2008, 14:26
People helping people. That's what it's all about.

Reached the bottom of an A. H. Hirsch 16-year-old gold foil last night. There are more in the bunker (not sure how many, not ready to look), but each drop is precious.

HighTower
08-24-2008, 01:53
Oscar,I'll be your phone support buddy any day of the week!!Scott of the Bourbon Brotherhood
My computer was down from Tues afternoon until yesterday.
Thursday I came to the end of a Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and had no where to go for support.
I was a spine-less weeping mess, I needed some support and could not get on-line to SB.com for it.
The best way to handle the problem I thought was to open a new bottle of WTKS.
So I did, it helped a lot, but I thought what if I had no more, the results could have been tragic.
Maybe we should form a phone tree like AA has when you need to call someone to talk you through the night.

spun_cookie
08-24-2008, 09:49
Last night spun_cookie and I finished off my 1969 Old Fitzgerald BIB from the "Sons of Erin" decanter -- it held up well against a mighty array of other S-W expressions!

(Although the decanter had long been, er, decanted, into a wine bottle, I kept it -- since it says "The Emerald Isle" it now belongs to Emerald!)

ANd thank you I do sir.. I have replaced teh cork on it and it will soon be full of some 80s/90s Old Fitz - yummy

on a sad note... my MM Black will die tonight... :grin:

CorvallisCracker
08-24-2008, 12:10
Finished of my first bottle of ETL. Last shot went into this morning's coffee.

Now I only need to finish off an OHH 8/86, a Weller Antique, a Weller 12, a PVW 15 and a Hirsch 16 BW and I can start buying bourbon again!

Notice I just said bourbon...when the 2008 BTACs show up I will grab a bottle of Saz 18 regardless.

smokinjoe
08-24-2008, 12:24
Finished off a Bernheim Wheat Whiskey last night. I really like that whiskey, and will replace it, but I'm not looking forward to dropping the $40 on it.

But, I was able to pry off the cool copper label, and it has become a nice adornment to the door of my beer fridge. :D

JOE

chilidawg7
08-24-2008, 12:32
Finished off a Bernheim Wheat Whiskey last night. I really like that whiskey, and will replace it, but I'm not looking forward to dropping the $40 on it.

But, I was able to pry off the cool copper label, and it has become a nice adornment to the door of my beer fridge. :D

JOE

Wish I could find it for $40 here in FL. Cheapest I've seen it is $47.99

And great idea about the label - I don't have a beer fridge, but I'm sure I can find some place to put mine.

spun_cookie
08-24-2008, 18:10
Well, the last of my MM Black wax met teh bottom of my reidel tonight. This is a bourbon that is hard to beleive that is MM. Great stuff. Cherries, vanilla, caramel... buttery... under first blush it is near a SW....

JamesW
08-25-2008, 21:27
Killed another Julio's Weller Centennial. 9 left but I'd have to check.... maybe 8, Yikes!!!

Stones
08-25-2008, 22:12
Over the weekend a few of my drinking buddies passed away too:

R.I.P.
WTRR/10yo/101proof
Blantons Special Reserve

May they be replaced in great haste... :cry:

fishnbowljoe
08-26-2008, 16:06
Finally finished that bottle of Ezra B 12 yr old. Now I'm going to work on my bottle of WTRB. Joe

SBOmarc
08-26-2008, 16:37
Does a Pony Keg of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale qualify?

It's Gone!!!

fishnbowljoe
08-26-2008, 16:54
7 and 3/4 gallons down, and unknown quantities yet to be consumed. Glad you're enjoying the kegerator. Joe

smokinjoe
08-26-2008, 19:24
Does a Pony Keg of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale qualify?

It's Gone!!!

Nice work, Marc! Was that all you, or did you get some help from those "friends" who just happen to "drop by"? :D

As they say: A friend with a Keg, is a friend indeed.

:toast:

JOE

SBOmarc
08-26-2008, 19:27
Well, let's just say once the word got out there were more than a few " drop in " guests.

A Good Time Was Had By All!!!

fishnbowljoe
08-26-2008, 21:27
And the bottle of WTRB tonight. Joe

gblick
08-27-2008, 07:22
Last night my bottle of Weller 19 (1980/2000) gave up it's last pour.
That bottle was open for over 14 months, which is longer than any bottle I've ever had. I liked it more every time I had a drink of it, and it will be missed with no replacements in sight.

JamesW
08-29-2008, 08:16
Killed another Pappy 15 last night after 3 delicious pours. I have only 4 bunkered at this point. This fall I will really try and stock up these puppies.

barturtle
08-29-2008, 12:00
Killed another Pappy 15 last night after 3 delicious pours. I have only 4 bunkered at this point. This fall I will really try and stock up these puppies.

You killed a Pappy with only three pours? What the hell kinda glass are you using man!?!?!?:bigeyes:

callmeox
08-29-2008, 12:54
Must be those stemless glasses from World Market.

JamesW
08-29-2008, 13:40
:slappin:

fill fill fill

barturtle
08-30-2008, 22:46
Number 161 of 204 Willett Family Reserve 4yo East Bay Study Group #1...a bottle I have much enjoyed and will miss.

cowdery
08-31-2008, 14:37
A Four Roses Small Batch. It will be replaced but I feel less urgency knowing the nearest bottle is within a mile of me now, rather than 350 like it was not long ago.

spun_cookie
08-31-2008, 14:39
Basil died and trying to kill off a 1/2 bottle of Woodsford.... so close to a new opening spree

SBOmarc
08-31-2008, 14:41
Willet Single Barrel. In the funky pot still bottle. I don't think I will be replacing it.

chilidawg7
09-01-2008, 16:43
This weekend, my college buddies helped me put a few bottles away:

OGD 114
Weller Centennial
Knob Creek &
Sauza Hornitos Anejo Tequila

JamesW
09-01-2008, 21:35
ORVW 10/107 just died. I have only a 10/90 in the bunker... someone help me please...

stroker394
09-04-2008, 20:33
They say a picture is worth a thousand words but I am temporarily speechless. Two new purchases should ease the pain.

fishnbowljoe
09-07-2008, 03:08
A bottle of Weller Antique hit the recycle bin tonight. Thank goodness I still have one open, and two in the bunker. Joe

fishnbowljoe
09-08-2008, 20:38
My bottle of EW now joins the recycle bin too. Joe

jburlowski
09-09-2008, 16:21
After logging off the OT Forum, I drank the last pour from a WT RR 101. Always sad to see on of those go.....

OscarV
09-09-2008, 16:23
I tossed in a 4R's120th, I hope I don't empty another one tonight.

ILLfarmboy
09-10-2008, 19:30
Polishing off a bottle of Rare Breed I've been nursing on. On and off. More off than on...

NorCalBoozer
09-12-2008, 11:16
I dusted off a Weller Antique. glanced at the price tag before it went in the recycle. How could this stuff only be $17.99????? Damn that's some fine bourbon. I will buy more.

Greg

OscarV
09-12-2008, 13:10
Going to the recycle center has becaome a heart breaking event for me.
I have two bins, one for plastic and one for tin, aluminum and glass.
The plastic bin goes back 3 or 4 times as fast as the other one.
But when I do take the the none plastic bin in I relive all the past glories of all the empty bourbon bottles.
Sometimes I say good-bye to them as I toss them into the big green monster and hope that they are reincarnated into other bourbon bottles that I can get to know.:cry:

JamesW
09-15-2008, 14:06
A Weller Special Reserve died last night. I have one bunkered. Not a bad little bourbon for <$15. I am trying to make a few of these lesser bourbons regular pours to lower my per diem bourbon burn rate.

cowdery
09-15-2008, 16:18
Old Fitz BIB. I'm sure I'll replace it, if I don't already have another one around here someplace.

mozilla
09-15-2008, 16:39
Today my first bottle of Rittenhouse Rye Bib from 2006 DSP 354, has bit the dust. I can say I was very satisfied with the RR. Plenty of flavor and 100 proof. Can't ask for much more for under $15. Thanks HH and BF...great teamwork.

JamesW
09-19-2008, 20:05
RVWSR Lot B died tonight. This last pour was the sweetest of them all. I picked one up today to take its place.

StraightBoston
09-30-2008, 11:15
Finally finished off my 1792 Ridgemont Reserve. Won't replace it (another bottle is at my brother-in-law's) but I find it unique enough to belong on the shelf of any well-rounded bourbon aficionado.

fishnbowljoe
09-30-2008, 15:32
Combined the two old Benchmarks I had. I had one open, and one I brought back from the KBF (gazebo). One is now in the dead pile. Joe

OscarV
09-30-2008, 15:33
Tossed the WTRR90 in the recycle bin last night.

PhilsFan
10-03-2008, 20:23
The pour of Elijah Craig 18 tonight finished the bottle...I'm sending EC to my son-in-law, who collects bourbon bottles for his shelf display. I really enjoy EC18, so I'll be picking up another.

-Joe

gothbat
10-04-2008, 11:32
Finished off an '06 OFBB last night. It was one of those somewhat unsatisfying last pours as it was more like 1/2 a pour (hard to judge because of the odd shaped bottle) but it tasted great. I'm sorry I've overlooked this one for so long and look forward to this years.

JamesW
10-04-2008, 19:14
I very much liked the OFBB '07. It's one I would buy again for sure. Tonight I laid to rest a Pappy 15. I have 5 more bunkered but can you really ever feel safe about not running out of this stuff?

JamesW
10-05-2008, 20:26
Killed an ORVW 10/107. I have none bunkered just a 10/90 opened. I really hope the fall supplies get out here quick. My regular guys are all out of this stuff.

StraightBoston
10-07-2008, 06:25
Poured the last of my EC18, barreled 1981. Might have been the barrel, but I've alway enjoyed this more than many on the board (because of the oak on the nose and in spite of the char on the finish!)

cowdery
10-07-2008, 08:45
J.T.S. Brown Bottled-in-Bond. Best whiskey you can buy for under $10!

fishnbowljoe
10-12-2008, 19:14
Finished my first bottle of Pappy 15. Glad I have one more bunkered. Joe

JamesW
10-13-2008, 19:59
Finished my first bottle of Pappy 15. Glad I have one more bunkered. Joe

It doesn't matter how many I have bunkered I always feel insecure in my holdings. I have 2 open (a julio's special bottling and a "regular") presently and 3 more bunkered. If I could afford it I'd buy the whole darn yearly production.

JamesW
10-13-2008, 20:02
J.T.S. Brown Bottled-in-Bond. Best whiskey you can buy for under $10!

I'm not familiar with this Chuck, never seen it. Has fast eddy grabbed it all for himself?

cowdery
10-13-2008, 22:20
I'm not familiar with this Chuck, never seen it. Has fast eddy grabbed it all for himself?

Limited distribution. I get it in Kentucky. It's available in Ohio. I don't think I've seen it here in Chicago. It's Heaven Hill, but it's the best bottle of Heaven Hill whiskey I've had for under $10.

Don't get me wrong. You won't mistake it for Pappy 15.

OscarV
10-14-2008, 14:14
It doesn't matter how many I have bunkered I always feel insecure in my holdings.

Same here, I sometimes feel like Barney on The Simpson's, afraid that they'll run out of beer for the night's poker game because they only have 3 cases in the fridge and another 10 in the garage.:rolleyes:

cowdery
10-14-2008, 17:17
I finished a Weller 12 that I thought was already finished, but there was one small snort left in the bottom. I have more.

Boy, the price has really gone up on it, too.

snakster
10-14-2008, 18:33
Bye bye Hirsch 16. It was a good night at the poker table though.

StraightBoston
10-16-2008, 05:37
A tearful goodbye to a gold-veined Old Weller Antique 107 from the 80s that my brother-in-law accidentally bought instead of his preferred Rebel Yell (meaning it stayed in the closet for about 20 years until I discovered it and offered to take it off his hands!) I'd been nursing it for a while, but now it's part of my quest to clear shelf space for the next group waiting in storage.

The first of my forays into the S-W "burnt butter" character (after it won a blind wheater tasting against WLW 05, Lot B and Makers black wax from Japan) and thus the beginning of an unhealthy obsession with porcelain decanters of a certain era...

chefnash51
10-16-2008, 09:26
My first bottle laid to rest:

RVWSR Lot B - I will save this bottle for sure. What an intro into Bourbon.

I have 3 more bukered to keep me happy & the Weller Antique is almost on it's last pour.

JamesW
10-16-2008, 20:29
My first bottle laid to rest:

RVWSR Lot B - I will save this bottle for sure. What an intro into Bourbon.

I have 3 more bukered to keep me happy & the Weller Antique is almost on it's last pour.

I love that lot b. Sweet nectar. Tonight I killed a Weller SR. What a great little bourbon for ~$14

spun_cookie
10-16-2008, 22:01
THe Light Knight Died tonight (Old Crow 10/86). The first of the many Chess Peices to bight the dust... only 31 more to go :D

spun_cookie
10-18-2008, 18:44
Hmmm.. this seams quick, but just killed a Dark Bishop (Old Crow 10/86, 1968).... King to me

I was working two bottles at one... did not kill two in two days :)

birdman1099
10-18-2008, 20:15
Hmmm.. this seams quick, but just killed a Dark Bishop (Old Crow 10/86, 1968).... King to me

Right !!!:skep::skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep:

OscarV
10-18-2008, 21:27
THe Light Knight Died tonight (Old Crow 10/86). The first of the many Chess Peices to bight the dust... only 31 more to go :D

Hey Em, don't go killing these guys off so fast.
Or at least save the last shot for your friends.
I have always wanted to try pre-Beam Old Crow.

JamesW
10-18-2008, 21:55
killed of an ORVW 10/107 and a Julio's Weller tonight. The Weller was fantastic and so hard to part with.

JamesW
10-20-2008, 06:52
Killed my bottle of Very Special Old Fitz. I really enjoy this stuff. I have one bunkered but they are becoming almost impossible to find anymore. Is it discontinued like some of the other Heritage Collection bottlings (i.e. Weller Centennial)?

cowdery
10-20-2008, 07:55
Very Special Old Fitz is still being produced by Heaven Hill.

snakster
10-20-2008, 17:56
Weller Antique 107 kicks the bucket.

polyamnesia
10-22-2008, 18:36
a few days ago, my first bottle of Jim Beam Black...just a small .375 bottle, but no waste of money. i'll try it again if on sale.

working on this 8 year joshua brook. it'll be gone by saturday afternoon...it tastes better every pour (!):shocked:

TNbourbon
10-23-2008, 18:33
Am finishing what is likely my final, historical (aka, Pappy-era-distilled) Very Old Fitzgerald 8yo BIB tonight, as I am in the process of dimunizing my shelves (down to under 50 unopened bottles!:shocked:) and whiskey interests.
This one was distilled in 1954, bottled in 1962, and deemed 'inferior' when posted against a similar 1959/1967 bottle at the Sampler in April. Which goes to show just how good second place can sometimes be.
The nose itself is heavenly: full of cherries and buttery vanilla. This is unmistakable for what it is to those who've had the pleasure of enjoying the like. Hard to even get the nose out of the glass long enough to take a sip.
The palate starts out with spirity maple, then progresses to the cherries, which take up most of the remaining 'taste-space'. I almost want to dip some bread crust in it to make a cherry tart (well, okay -- not really!:grin:). The quite remarkable thing is that while it supersedes 95% of what you can buy today, it's not in the top 3-4 Stitzel-Weller bottlings I've ever had!:bigeyes:
Thus, while you may believe it is, at best, bittersweet to put the finishing touches on such a 'last-ever' bottle, in fact I'm quite enjoying the memorial reminiscences of other stellar, S-W bottles I've owned and enjoyed, especially with so many of the SB.com stalwarts who have condescended to include me in this bourbon Nirvana-ic company. I am ever grateful for their courtesy, fellowship, experiences, knowledge and solicitude.
So, :toast: cheers to the StraightBourbon.com 'cadre', both past and present -- may your whiskey be fine, and your companionship its better.

fishnbowljoe
10-24-2008, 16:07
Farewell to my first bottle of Lot B. Gone, but not forgotten. One in the bunker still.:grin: Joe

OscarV
10-24-2008, 17:00
Tim, I really like this pic.
It is a sad, sad site but I really like it.

spun_cookie
10-25-2008, 21:52
Old Crow 86 proof.... The Queen met her demise, but the pawn gave up its juice to get her all wet again :D

birdman1099
10-26-2008, 07:19
Old Crow 86 proof.... The Queen met her demise, but the pawn gave up its juice to get her all wet again :D

For a minute there i thought I was at the wrong forum !!!:grin:

A bottle of WT old # 8 from 92. what a great bottle !!!:cry:

spun_cookie
10-26-2008, 18:22
WTKS came to and end last night... now I have room for two more... that bottle is way to wide..!!!!

Two more down, but because they were bad :(

That leaves 26 bottles... I hope most are good... it is the lower bottles that scare me. There is one more like that...

Rughi
10-27-2008, 08:12
Two more down, but because they were bad :(
Bad, bad, naughty chess pieces.

I can help get these naughty ones in line. Send them all, and I'll return them only after they've decided to be fine, upstanding members of the board. I'm suspecting the only problem with most of them is that they've been overfilled. ;)

Roger

gblick
11-01-2008, 11:09
A '96 pewter-top WTKS gave up the ghost on Halloween.

OscarV
11-01-2008, 17:02
A '96 pewter-top WTKS gave up the ghost on Halloween.

Hey Man, that calls for flowers, tell us where to send them.

gothbat
11-02-2008, 00:12
A little while ago I had the last of my WT:T. By far the best WT offering I've had, even better than RR101. I'm really glad I happened to come across this one, I'm pretty sure I paid a premium for this bottle but thankfully it was well worth it!

WT:AS is likely the next to fall ;]

spun_cookie
11-02-2008, 00:40
my 1980 WT 86.8 just gave up the ghost.... great bourbon at that proof

cowdery
11-03-2008, 22:25
Finished off a bottle of Jim Beam black with some Dr. Brown's Ginger Ale.

chefnash51
11-06-2008, 07:09
Second bottle to hit the dirt. Weller Antique 107. Went from kinda liking it, to loving it. Glad there are planty more around, but I might have to try the Special Reserve next.

smokinjoe
11-06-2008, 10:33
Second bottle to hit the dirt. Weller Antique 107. Went from kinda liking it, to loving it. Glad there are planty more around, but I might have to try the Special Reserve next.

Chef, my experience with that bottling mirrors yours. I never disliked it, but wasn't crazy about it, either. But, lately have been loving the last couple of bottles I've had. Recent bottlings seem to have more vanilla and caramel than previous ones. Also, less tannic, now. And, you can't beat the price. When these things happen I always figure it's me changing, and not the bottle. :confused:

cowdery
11-06-2008, 10:55
A bottle of Jim Beam Rye.

JamesW
11-08-2008, 20:50
just finished off a Pappy 15... each one hurts.

polyamnesia
11-09-2008, 18:12
it's scary when a bottle bought on friday is gone sunday evening. for some reason, that 2nd bottle (i ever had) of OGD100 just got better and better as it went down. the last two pours were nectar. is it the oxygen? or the lack of it in my brain?:rolleyes:

i trust my olfactory-tastebud coalition....:grin:

polyamnesia
11-09-2008, 18:14
A bottle of Jim Beam Rye.

was it the newer label version? if not (or so), is it any different from the canary yellow label version? i am tempted to pick one up across the state line...up here it's $15 or so...in delaware it's $10

what's it comparable to...?

ACDetroit
11-09-2008, 18:46
Eat the Ten Dollar bill it has more flavor than the Beam Rye I had!

Tony

PhilsFan
11-09-2008, 20:01
Said goodbye tonight to one of my favorites, Weller Antique 107...the empty is going to my son-in-law for his collection. I don't have another one yet, but that situation will change shortly.

-Joe

cowdery
11-10-2008, 15:25
was it the newer label version? if not (or so), is it any different from the canary yellow label version? i am tempted to pick one up across the state line...up here it's $15 or so...in delaware it's $10

The one I had was the old label but it was just a label change, no difference in the product. The price difference may be related to the locations or just to the fact that the old label bottles would be older stock.

This product is not for everyone as it is pretty young and you can taste a lot of raw spirit. I like it for that reason, but if you are used to bourbon and rye that is more fully aged, you might not appreciate its charms.

edo
11-11-2008, 02:02

I think it's more or less comparable to Old Overholt. Like Chuck said, it's young and raw. But that's fine by me, too. At my house, we're simultaneously working on three cheaper ryes, (canary yellow) Beam, Overholt and Pikesville Supreme. The Pikesville is disappearing a lot faster than the other two. It's sure to be empty first, probably tonight. The other two are tied for second place so far, each just over half-empty.

ThomasW
11-11-2008, 14:13
A bottle of Maker's Mark is now long gone!

jburlowski
11-11-2008, 14:52
This product is not for everyone as it is pretty young and you can taste a lot of raw spirit. I like it for that reason, but if you are used to bourbon and rye that is more fully aged, you might not appreciate its charms.

Seems lately that that's the the way younger women seem to feel about me. (sigh):frown:

edo
11-11-2008, 18:00
I think it's more or less comparable to Old Overholt. Like Chuck said, it's young and raw. But that's fine by me, too. At my house, we're simultaneously working on three cheaper ryes, (canary yellow) Beam, Overholt and Pikesville Supreme. The Pikesville is disappearing a lot faster than the other two. It's sure to be empty first, probably tonight. The other two are tied for second place so far, each just over half-empty.

Update and reassessment on the three bottle race to the bottom from last night's heat: Pikesville is smoother, but overall has less flavor than Beam Rye or Overholt. Beam rye is a good step more 'raw' than OO even though OO's label says it's only 4 years old. Although OO was in third place before last night, it has overtaken Beam, and I now predict it will be empty before the Pikesville. (Both OO and Pikesville are pretty hard for me to get (got 'em up on a rare trip to Tokyo last week), so I'm a little sad about all this.

Attila
11-12-2008, 10:09
Update and reassessment on the three bottle

You have easy access to VWFRR13, WT Rye and VOSN Winter Rye. Why would you waste your time on those three?

edo
11-13-2008, 18:32
You have easy access to VWFRR13, WT Rye and VOSN Winter Rye. Why would you waste your time on those three?

Basically, I'm a cheap bastard who weighs cost/benefit when making purchases. (For years, until they raised the price, I was only buying Early Times KSBW for 999 and I still like it as well as other much more expensive bourbons.) I don't equate cheap to poor quality and I got those three cheaper ryes to compare as an experiment to get a bead on an everyday rye pour.

Well, the Pikesville emptied first afterall. However, I stand by my previous assessment that Old Overholt is superior to the other two- the Pikesville being a little too smooth and light and the Beam rye being somewhat too raw. OO is a rich flavorful cheaper rye with a nice edge, and for me is at the top of my 80 proof rye list. Unfortunately more is unavailable to me right now, same with the Pikesville Supreme. Damn.

Of course, I love the higher proof ryes, WT and VOSN Winter, too, and will be ordering more of those along with my first bottle of VWFRR13 next week.

Atilla, I got all three of those (and 6 pricier items) at Tanakaya in Mejiro a couple weeks ago. I got the tip for that shop from something you posted earlier. Thank you, again, sir! They have a good selection of bourbons and Irish, but the Scotch whiskies, ......:bigeyes: Hundreds? Thousands?

snakster
11-13-2008, 19:19
Drinking the last of my Pappy 20 as I write. It won't be replaced. I know many here have high regard for this bottle, but to me, there was just too much oak in the taste. I'm thinking 20 years is a wee bit too long. Never had the 15, but I would guess it would be better. Not a bad bourbon otherwise, but definitely too much wood.

I have reached the conclusion that I need not spend much more than 30 for a premium taste (WTRB). And for a daily pour, I'd go with Weller antique 107 over most bourbons that cost 2, 3 or 4x the price. The next time I spend more than 50 on a bottle of whiskey, it will be on an Islay (e.g., Lagavulin 16).

spun_cookie
11-13-2008, 20:23
Drinking the last of my Pappy 20 as I write. It won't be replaced. I know many here have high regard for this bottle, but to me, there was just too much oak in the taste. I'm thinking 20 years is a wee bit too long. Never had the 15, but I would guess it would be better. Not a bad bourbon otherwise, but definitely too much wood.

I have reached the conclusion that I need not spend much more than 30 for a premium taste (WTRB). And for a daily pour, I'd go with Weller antique 107 over most bourbons that cost 2, 3 or 4x the price. The next time I spend more than 50 on a bottle of whiskey, it will be on an Islay (e.g., Lagavulin 16).

There is nothing better than finding love at a lower price... I am in the book with the WTs... the old 8 yrs for $25 are the best bourbons at any price...

... tonight I killed my WTKS 2001 Pewter :( it will be missed.... anyone got one for trade :)

fishnbowljoe
11-16-2008, 17:11
Finished two today that only had one pour left. WTRR 90, and JTS BROWN. Joe

JamesW
11-20-2008, 21:26
killed an ORVW 10/107...7 bunkered. Great stuff.

ggilbertva
12-04-2008, 21:48
Polished off my Wathens Single Barrel from Feb '06.

fishnbowljoe
12-04-2008, 21:50
Not today, but a couple of nights ago, a bottle of Weller 12.:cry: Joe

Rughi
12-04-2008, 22:17
My one and only bottle of Daniel Stewart 12yo 86 proofer gave it up tonight.
One of the few non-TE Heaven Hill bottles I found out west, from about 1990.

This is the one that made Doug exclaim
"Oh my God...that smells like a dead fish!"

Daniel Stewart was open for several years and finished its life on Ginger Ale duty.

Roger

jburlowski
12-05-2008, 18:28
My wife's off to her company Xmas Party tonight so I'm sitting by the fire all alone. Killed my last bottle of OCPR.

Major mourning in progress here....

polyamnesia
12-05-2008, 19:54
i probably won't be conscious tomorrow night, so let me do this now...

the Van Winkle Reserve 12 year will be gone by the time the Tide and Gator game is over....i can't do this, $45+ bottle of bourbon gone within the week...not in this economy:rolleyes:

funknik
12-05-2008, 21:35
i probably won't be conscious tomorrow night, so let me do this now...

the Van Winkle Reserve 12 year will be gone by the time the Tide and Gator game is over....i can't do this, $45+ bottle of bourbon gone within the week...not in this economy:rolleyes:

You won't regret the experience and next week you'll have forgetten about the money you spent. Unless you're elbow deep in a another bottle.:grin:

gothbat
12-06-2008, 12:01
Polished off a VWFRR ('08 'A' series) last night, making room for a Rittenhouse BIB. Sad to see the VWFRR go but can't wait to crack another Rittenhouse. :]

cowdery
12-08-2008, 11:40
I emptied a W. L. Weller Special Reserve and a Hancock President's Reserve over the weekend. Certainly two very different bourbons. The Hancock had that characteristic BT earthiness in spades.

chefnash51
12-08-2008, 13:25
I've got 3 to add...

1- EWSB 98 - glad to see it go over thanksgiving day. Shared with the family

2- WTRB - damn fine bottle - glad I have a second in the bunker

3- ORVW 10/107 Was a sad one to see go.. and unfortunately it did not leave peacefully.. there was about 5-6 ounces left, from a bottle I started 2 months ago. that last bit had turned quite oxidized.

From there I noticed that the last of the WTRB tasted off too. So I made some calls and located 2 bottles of wine preserver gas. won't let that happen again.

GreggB
12-08-2008, 20:09
See the other thread on Buffalo Trace discontinued bottlings.

They're no longer making OCPR 13 yr old, or Weller Centennial.

Are those now each a "ghost whiskey"?

Is there more pain when emptying a bottle of a "ghost" bourbon?

onmytrack
12-10-2008, 21:04
See the other thread on Buffalo Trace discontinued bottlings.

They're no longer making OCPR 13 yr old, or Weller Centennial.

Are those now each a "ghost whiskey"?

Is there more pain when emptying a bottle of a "ghost" bourbon?

Just finished off a ORVW 15 and yes there is more pain when you come to the end of a "ghost" bourbon. I still have 2 left in the bunker to ease the pain, however.

Jim

Josh
12-10-2008, 21:23
I am currently being haunted by the ghost of Old Overholt himself. Now for what remains of Mr. Rittenhouse..

Skunk
12-10-2008, 23:12
I am currently being haunted by the ghost of Old Overholt himself. Now for what remains of Mr. Rittenhouse..

Josh, i have one i rescued after 15 years of dusty shelf life we can try. Not quite an exorcism, but it might help.

JamesW
12-11-2008, 14:01
Killed a WLW '2007. Very nice. Looking forward to tasting the 2008 version tonight!

Old Lamplighter
12-11-2008, 20:43
Last night 2 died in my warm hands, a Saz Jr. and an older Lot B......the latter I will miss more - being unreplaceable as such. Tonight, 2 more probables, a BT and my Rittenhouse BIB.

StraightBoston
12-11-2008, 21:25
A Baker's from several years back (my wife's first contribution to my collection/addiction) -- a pint flask of modern-era OGD BIB about to follow!

(Good to see you, Jake!)

wku88
12-11-2008, 22:52
Okay, there's nothing really new or improved about it, but the old thread was getting unwieldy, so let's start again.

We all know how hard it is to finish a bottle of whiskey, especially one that cannot be easily replaced. It's hard, but it's part of life.

This thread is here for you to seek support and provide support to others. We feel your pain. This thread is for saying goodbye to special friends as they become empty vessels, a fate that awaits us all.

I'll begin with the unkindest cut of all, the last bourbon bargain.

I have one drink left in a bottle of Old Heaven Hill 10-year-old BIB. I was just in Louisville and when I went to replace it at Liquor Barn it was not to be found. The replacement--or at least the oldest Old Heaven Hill BIB they had with an age statement on it--was a six-year-old.

I bought the 10-year-old at Liquor Barn last September for $8.49. My guess is we won't see a 10-year-old BIB for under $10 again in our lifetimes, so brothers and sisters, can I have a little love?

Sory it's been awhile since I visited. However I am glad to see I am not the only one to lament the demise of VROHH. Truly a great whiskey at any price. My thoughts are that they discovered that folks fond out the secret, and ended up putting it all in EWSB, which, for all practical purposes, it was....at half the price.
Last I bought ws around July of '07, and I bought a case( I think it ws around $11 at LB). I tried my darndest to make it last, but the pressure was too much. God Bless all you who could bunker it and still have some!

PhilsFan
12-14-2008, 15:36
This past week, I said goodbye to bottles of VOB bib and ORVW 10/107... fortunately I still have a full VOB (not too hard to come by around here) and 3 more ORVW 10/107 (they tend to disappear from the shelves, so I've been stocking up)

-Joe

Stu
12-16-2008, 15:24
Just poured the last of my PVW 23, sb edition barrel C. It will never be able to be replaced. The only good news is that I still have about an inch or two left in bottles A and B.

polyamnesia
12-16-2008, 19:28
the week's odometer of empties reads thusly:

gone...

Van Winkle Reserve 12
Jack Daniels Gold Medal 1981
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

funknik
12-16-2008, 19:34
Finally polished off the Old Whiskey River...I feel triumphant...

....and sick to my stomach...glad to see that garbage gone.

:rolleyes:

HipFlask
12-17-2008, 09:48
Damage done to my stash. 2 bottles of Rittenhouse BIB, 1 WT Rare breed, 1 2007 GTS that one makes me weep, and one BMH 17yr. The guy that picks up my recyclables must think I am a total drunk with all of the Whiskey and beer bottles in the bin. Good thing I don't really "sive a ghit" what he thinks!

PhilsFan
12-17-2008, 12:39
I finished off the last pour of a bottle of the newer (black) label of Weller 12 last night...Started out not caring for it much, but I ended up liking it a lot. I still have most of a bottle of the older (gray) label of Weller 12 left.

-Joe

fishnbowljoe
12-17-2008, 23:39
I saw the last of two really good bottles this week. Tonight, a Julio's RHF. Sunday an ER 101. It was hard to finish the ER 101.:cry: Thank goodness I have two more in the bunker, and more on the way!:woohoo: Joe

jburlowski
12-18-2008, 17:39
OC Classic 90.... sigh.

polyamnesia
12-18-2008, 19:05
bye bye baby saz...it was sweet....and better on the last two pours...i wish i took VATTING notes on that WTRB mix....that was simply tops