PDA

View Full Version : I like WT 101, need more suggestions

Gov
04-09-2008, 18:27
I am very new to bourbon as I am mainly a scotch and Irish drinker. I really like WT 101 so I need more suggestions as to what other boubons I may like. I also liked Bulleit, EC 12 as well. I did not like MM. Thanx!

callmeox
04-09-2008, 18:54
WT101 is a rye recipe bourbon and MM is a wheater. If you're looking for another rye'd bourbon, check out this thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142) which has a great list of recommendations. On page three of that thread, there's a breakdown of which brands are rye recipe and which are wheaters.

Welcome to SB and happy hunting.

spun_cookie
04-10-2008, 00:14
Try Bookers, Old Forester, Four Roses Single Barrel... any of these will doance around what you have already had

jeff
04-10-2008, 04:18
+1 on the Old Forester, the 100 proof if you can find it, but the 86 is nice too. Where are you from? I ask because bourbon brand availability varies by state and region, and that will help others make suggestions.

Welcome :toast:

Gov
04-10-2008, 05:11
+1 on the Old Forester, the 100 proof if you can find it, but the 86 is nice too. Where are you from? I ask because bourbon brand availability varies by state and region, and that will help others make suggestions.

Welcome :toast:

Chicagoland area. The land of "Binny's" and "Sams"

callmeox
04-10-2008, 06:30
Binny's and Sams, AKA "the embarrassment of riches at your doorstep" :cool:

Another vote for the Old Forester Signature. I got mine at Binny and it is an awesome value.

texascarl
04-10-2008, 07:52
I find this article useful when someone wants to know 'what bourbon should I try if I like X but don't care for Y'.

http://www.winemag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=449744C3B31A498C8588C1F3A01F3E71

ratcheer
04-10-2008, 15:57
I am very new to bourbon as I am mainly a scotch and Irish drinker. I really like WT 101 so I need more suggestions as to what other boubons I may like. I also liked Bulleit, EC 12 as well. I did not like MM. Thanx!

WT101 is also one of my favorites, so maybe you would like some of my others.

Old Forester 100-proof
Old Grand Dad 114-proof
Rock Hill Farms
Blanton's
Elmer T. Lee
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Tim

spun_cookie
04-12-2008, 23:35
full upport of all in the reply above plus... B-day 2007 spicifically

Gov
04-13-2008, 09:46
How about Rittenhouse BIB? Seems to get glowing reviews.

craigthom
04-13-2008, 21:04
How about Rittenhouse BIB? Seems to get glowing reviews.

I like it. Most of my first bottle went into Manhattans. It's fine straight, but it's what I reach for when I make cocktails.

Dranac Lihp
05-10-2008, 22:24
I am also a scotch drinker, and WT 101 and WT 101 Rye are my favorite American whiskies at a reasonable price. The problem with Scotch is the outrageous prices for the good single malts, and even Johnnie Walker Black blended scotch sells for close to $40 per fifth in these parts.

Rittenhouse Rye 100 Proof bottled in bond is my suggestion if you like WT 101 and you also like the more strongly flavored scotches. It ain't Laphroaig, and it ain't even Talisker, but it's darned good stuff nonetheless when you consider price. It costs $138 per case in these parts, and that makes it a raving bargain compared to what single malt scotch costs.

I recently bought Bowmore Legend single malt scotch for $28.50, and I was sorely disappointed. WT 101 or WT 101 Rye for around $20 simply blows it away. You have to spend around $40 for a single malt scotch that is competitive with the Kickin' Chicken.

Gov
05-12-2008, 20:16
I am also a scotch drinker, and WT 101 and WT 101 Rye are my favorite American whiskies at a reasonable price. The problem with Scotch is the outrageous prices for the good single malts, and even Johnnie Walker Black blended scotch sells for close to $40 per fifth in these parts.

Rittenhouse Rye 100 Proof bottled in bond is my suggestion if you like WT 101 and you also like the more strongly flavored scotches. It ain't Laphroaig, and it ain't even Talisker, but it's darned good stuff nonetheless when you consider price. It costs $138 per case in these parts, and that makes it a raving bargain compared to what single malt scotch costs.

I recently bought Bowmore Legend single malt scotch for $28.50, and I was sorely disappointed. WT 101 or WT 101 Rye for around $20 simply blows it away. You have to spend around $40 for a single malt scotch that is competitive with the Kickin' Chicken.

I may try Rittenhouse, thanks. BTW, Bowmore Legend was my first peaty SMS. I think its great for the price! Also its been discontinued :(
For a great SM thats cheap and one of my favorites try Old Pulteney 12

Dranac Lihp
05-13-2008, 00:48
Old Pulteney is on my list to try, since it is almost an island malt.

I have to disagree about Bowmore Legend being a highly peated single malt. It has very little peat compared to Laphroaig, Ardbeg or Lagavulin. Bowmore is considered a medium peated product. However, Teacher's Highland Cream and White Horse seem to have more peat, and they are blends. If you want a cheap everyday island scotch, I say try White Horse blend , which uses Lagavulin and Talisker as core malts. It's considerably better than JW Red as well as a lot cheaper. The "peat and chocolate" taste may be a bit weird at first, but it goes great with coffee in the morning. If I had tired a shot of White Horse at a whisky bar, I might have given up on White Horse, but after several days and half a bottle, I had found a new friend. Anybody who likes Teacher's Highland Cream should give White Horse a serious audition. I think White Horse is a little bit better, but you better like a chocolate aftertaste. It's sort of like ordering a chocolate milkshake with a stiff shot of Laphroaig added. A person could do a lot worse. :bigeyes:

Jazzhead
05-13-2008, 04:06
My two favorite bourbons have long been WT 101 and Old Forester, so I echo those who recommend you try Brown Forman's "other" whiskey. Woodford Reserve is a close cousin, and I've also been enjoying Ridgement Reserve 1792 lately, which is a well-made Barton's product with a flavor profile in the same ballpark.

Gov
05-13-2008, 08:34
Old Pulteney is on my list to try, since it is almost an island malt.

I have to disagree about Bowmore Legend being a highly peated single malt. It has very little peat compared to Laphroaig, Ardbeg or Lagavulin. Bowmore is considered a medium peated product. However, Teacher's Highland Cream and White Horse seem to have more peat, and they are blends. If you want a cheap everyday island scotch, I say try White Horse blend , which uses Lagavulin and Talisker as core malts. It's considerably better than JW Red as well as a lot cheaper. The "peat and chocolate" taste may be a bit weird at first, but it goes great with coffee in the morning. If I had tired a shot of White Horse at a whisky bar, I might have given up on White Horse, but after several days and half a bottle, I had found a new friend. Anybody who likes Teacher's Highland Cream should give White Horse a serious audition. I think White Horse is a little bit better, but you better like a chocolate aftertaste. It's sort of like ordering a chocolate milkshake with a stiff shot of Laphroaig added. A person could do a lot worse. :bigeyes:

Bowmore Legend is not in the same league as Laphroaig or Ardbeg or Lagavulin. And yes, I agree it is not heavily peated. But, for the price it is a very good value for what it is.
Teachers and White Horse are two of my favorite blends and they are always on my shelf. I don't get a big chocolate aftertaste from White Horse, but the next time I pour one, I will look for it.

OldJack
05-13-2008, 10:09
I second the vote for 1792- thought to me it seems less dramatic than the WT101. Still, it was a wonderful flavor.

Dranac Lihp
05-13-2008, 23:46
Gov, the funny thing I find about White Horse is that I can make it taste quite a bit different according to how I drink it. If a fairly big sip is taken to the back of the tongue and throat after swirling it around in the mouth, and I then exhale through my nose, I can get a lot of the peat taste and the chocolate taste is subdued. If you want to emphasize the chocolate finish, then take smaller sips and try not to exhale any of the fumes through your nose.

White Horse is my top pick for bang for the buck (BFTB) in a blended scotch, Rittenhouse Rye BIB is my top BFTB pick in an American Rye, Evan Williams BIB is my BFTB pick in a ryed bourbon, I don't have an opinion on wheated bourbon yet. Laphroaig 10 year old is my BFTB pick in single malt scotches, if you can get a decent price on it. Montana liquor stores want $55 or more for a 750ml bottle of Laphroaig, so if you find Aberlour 10 year old for around $40 that can be a better buy. Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Talisker cost more than Laphroaig. Highland Park 12 year old is a bit cheaper. The good Bowmores are costly. However, a daily pour has to come in under $20/bottle for me, and the only scotch that can pull off that feat is a blended one. Unfortunately, most of them at the low end of the price scale are very bland and not worth fooling with. J&B Rare, Ballantine's, Cutty Sark, Dewar's White Label, JW Red, Grant's Family Reserve and about anything else you can name that costs less than JW Black is a poor comparison to a decent single malt scotch, or to JW Black. Teacher's and White Horse are the only blended scotches that cost less than JW Black that I have found that I like. Highland Mist, Clan MacGregor, Usher's Green Stripe, Scoresby and other bottom dwellers on the blended scotch list shouldn't even be allowed to call themselve's blended scotch. Buggered scotch would be a better description. They are scotch about as much as Velveeta is cheese....and just as sickening.

Now that I know about Rittenhouse Rye 100 BIB that I can get for $12/bottle in case quantities (and it's as good as WT 101 bourbon, but very slightly under WT 101 rye), I would like to know if anybody out there has discovered some obscure scotch blend that sells for around $12 that rates up there with White Horse or Teacher's. I'm tempted to try McIvor as it has been touted by "scotch experts". I remember seeing a list of ratings for blended scotch that some "scotch expert" had compiled. He gave Clan Macgregor a rating of 92 (out of 100 possible points) and rated it equal to White Horse. I'm saying to myself "WTF!!!". Such a rating qualifies a person as totally inept and possibly headed for incarceration in some asylum. He correctly rated Scoresby and Green Stripe somewhere down around 60, and Clan Macgregor is more in their league than White Horse's league. He correctly rated JW Red down around 70 (it's OK for mixing and even the folks at Johnnie Walker say it's for mixing and not for drinking straight), and I would take the Red over Clan MacGregor any day. Hey, even White Horse doesn't deserve a rating over 90, unless the only thing you are considering is affordable scotch blends that sell for less than JW Black. WH might possibly be the high standard in that category.

For those who have read through all of these posts, if YOU have $12 to spend on booze, get a bottle of Evan Williams BIB or Rittenhouse Rye BIB and be happy. If somebody gives you $5-$10 more, then look for the WT 101 (bourbon or rye variety, according to your tastes) or White Horse (or Teacher's if you don't like island scotch).

I have been sampling White Horse against Jeam Beam Black for several successive nights, to avoid any prejudices caused from whatever, and in conjunction with other rye and bourbon whiskies I happened to have around at the time, and I have preferred the White Horse every night, but not by the same margin. The Kickin' Chicken always comes out on top of JBB as well. WT 101 (bourbon or rye, your preference) is really the "pivot point" of American whiskey as far as I can tell. Anything costing less is going to be inferior to some degree, and anything costing more will probably not be better in relation to the cost increase.

ONE THING IS SURE: If you like either variety of WT 101, then a list of whiskies that cost less and still hold your interest will be VERY SHORT. In the ENTIRE field of blended scotches, I have found only two. In American rye I have found one. In single malt scotches I have found none. Evan Williams BIB will be the only bourbon that costs less than WT 101 that I will regulary stock, and possibly more for cooking purposes than drinking. Spending more than WT 101 costs for bourbon is throwing money away in my book. I would spend it on Laphroaig in stead.

Gov
05-14-2008, 07:22
Thanks for that post ^!! It looks like you have done your fair share of bargain buy tasting and its all good! I think scotch blends are very underated and often overlooked by SMS drinkers. I am not sure why, but I have my thoughts. I love SMS, but will always have blends around because they are cheaper for one, and a nice change of pace.
I like Grants and The Famous Grouse Finest very much in addition to what you like. I find they can be a bit bland, but very pleasant and easy to drink.
I will recommend to you "Islay Mist" and "Black Bottle" NAS. These are very good blends especially Islay Mist which tastes of a young Laphroaig!
Thanks for the bourbon and Rye recommedations as well, they have been duly noted!

Dranac Lihp
05-15-2008, 20:56
Gov,

Islay Mist and Black Bottle are NOT available even in Billings, and if they had been available I definitely WOULD have tried them. I will try them the first time I can get my hands on them. You have to be an idiot blender to really screw up an island malt scotch blend. HOWEVER, after a trip to Billings today, I found a $14 blended scotch that gives JW Red really stiff competition for $10 less a bottle. It is called McIvor, and it had gotten an extremely high rating on another website, so high that I questioned the validity of the rating for the chump change price. It is blended by Colin S. Barclay and has no age statement, so I suspect a 36 month age for most of the malts. That's OK, young scotch is quite alright in blends. The quality of the malts is more important than age in cheap scotch.

It may be inferior to JW Red for mixing because it doesn't have that big burst of flavor (simple as it is); however, it seems better to me for drinking straight with a bit more complexity. Too early to tell yet, but I will form a firmer opinion after drinking for several nights and over half the bottle is gone. This is the first blend under the cost of Teacher's and White Horse that I really like. It has less smoke than Teacher's and less peat than White Horse. I detect more of a Speyside character to offset the island character, so it may appeal to a Famous Grouse drinker looking to cut his daily dram cost in half. I might add that Famous Grouse is the only blend under $30 besides Teacher's and White Horse that I had found that I liked. I liked Grant's for the first bottle, seemed OK for the second bottle, but by the third bottle is was getting sickening like Dewar's White Label. Too much wheat grain taste. Too bad, because the store I was buying from had it on constant special for $11.

I may now have a "go-to" scotch to partner with Rittenhouse Rye BIB and Evan Williams BIB bourbon for under $15 bottle. I sure as hell wouldn't trade McIvor for JB White or JD #7, and that is saying something for a $14 blended scotch.

I am going to do some research on Colin S. Barclay. He is some kind of genius for making a blended scotch this good for so little money. Never thought I would see a decent tasting scotch whisky for an everyday bourbon price.

billthewoodguy
05-16-2008, 08:15
perhaps a more thorough tasting of all WT has to offer first, not that the others listed aren't great but whats the rush?

if you look under brands on the home page there are 18 different products made by WT!

Bill

Gov
05-16-2008, 10:44
Gov,

Islay Mist and Black Bottle are NOT available even in Billings, and if they had been available I definitely WOULD have tried them. I will try them the first time I can get my hands on them. You have to be an idiot blender to really screw up an island malt scotch blend. HOWEVER, after a trip to Billings today, I found a $14 blended scotch that gives JW Red really stiff competition for $10 less a bottle. It is called McIvor, and it had gotten an extremely high rating on another website, so high that I questioned the validity of the rating for the chump change price. It is blended by Colin S. Barclay and has no age statement, so I suspect a 36 month age for most of the malts. That's OK, young scotch is quite alright in blends. The quality of the malts is more important than age in cheap scotch.

It may be inferior to JW Red for mixing because it doesn't have that big burst of flavor (simple as it is); however, it seems better to me for drinking straight with a bit more complexity. Too early to tell yet, but I will form a firmer opinion after drinking for several nights and over half the bottle is gone. This is the first blend under the cost of Teacher's and White Horse that I really like. It has less smoke than Teacher's and less peat than White Horse. I detect more of a Speyside character to offset the island character, so it may appeal to a Famous Grouse drinker looking to cut his daily dram cost in half. I might add that Famous Grouse is the only blend under $30 besides Teacher's and White Horse that I had found that I liked. I liked Grant's for the first bottle, seemed OK for the second bottle, but by the third bottle is was getting sickening like Dewar's White Label. Too much wheat grain taste. Too bad, because the store I was buying from had it on constant special for $11.

I may now have a "go-to" scotch to partner with Rittenhouse Rye BIB and Evan Williams BIB bourbon for under $15 bottle. I sure as hell wouldn't trade McIvor for JB White or JD #7, and that is saying something for a $14 blended scotch.

I am going to do some research on Colin S. Barclay. He is some kind of genius for making a blended scotch this good for so little money. Never thought I would see a decent tasting scotch whisky for an everyday bourbon price.

I have heard of McIvor, but you are the very first person to ever comment on it. I posted a thread about it on www.whiskymag.com (http://www.whiskymag.com) and no one replied. I have not even see this scotch in the stores by me. Please keep me posted on your thoughts.
You can buy Islay Mist and Black Bottle from "Binny's" on-line. Not sure how much the shipping would be, but it may be worth it.

AVB
05-19-2008, 05:15
I know it is quite aways down the road but if you ever get to Missoula check out the Rhino Bar. They must have 50 scotches avalable or did last winter when I was there.

Gov
05-28-2008, 18:03
Well, I got a bottle of Old Grand-dad BiB and cracked it open last night. I really enjoyed it just as much as the WT 101. Whats next!!