PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of the shadows.....

MiamiG
04-15-2008, 08:31
Good Morning from Miami!

I've been a member of this community for quite some time but am embarassed to say that I have yet to post until now; I'm rather shy that way. I do visit this BB on an almost daily basis to read and learn. Fantastic group of very knowlegeable people here, that's for sure. I enjoy fine spirits and am adequately familiar with many different styles of Wiskys, Whiskys and Whiskeys. I do enjoy SMS, Blends, Canadians and of course Ryes and Bourbons. As a rule I prefer higher proof, Cask Strength, unfiltered type of spirits. As for me, I am and have been in the premium cigar business for the past 12 years, and graphic arts before that, mostly designing for the Coca-Cola Company. Whenever I get the chance, I really enjoy "hunting" for discontinued bottles and have been fairly successful here in Miami. I must confess right here and now that I am an avid collector! Gasp......I hope that doesn't offend anyone :crazy: I've amassed a decent collection over the last few years (mostly Bourbons), but am wondering now, how in the world I will be ever be able to display it so I can enjoy it. I suppose that collecting is in my blood because I've always collected something or other. I once had an important collection of antique Coca-Cola memorabilia and even wrote a book (yes published) about my vintage Coca-Cola Toy Truck Collection. OK, sorry for the digression. At one time I displayed a portion of my bottles here at my place of business in Miami and was simply amazed at people's reactions when they saw all those bottles grouped together. People would just sit and stare. I thought that I was the only one crazy enough to enjoy looking at all these bottles but I was wrong. Anyway, thank you for letting me bloviate a bit. Looking forward to participating more on the BB.

Gael/MiamiG

Dr. François
04-15-2008, 09:47
Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy being out in the open as much as you enjoyed being "in the shadows." This is a great group.

Is there a target to your bourbon collecting, or is it pretty haphazard? Any favorites?

spun_cookie
04-15-2008, 10:47
Welcome out... look forward to hearing your point of view. Please add pictures of the bottles

smokinjoe
04-15-2008, 12:08
Nice intro! Welcome aboard, Gael. I look forward to hearing your comments in the future. Where abouts is your shop located?

Cheers!

JOE

Stu
04-15-2008, 15:50
Welcome. If you ever get a chance ot meet some of these folks in person, don't miss it!

MiamiG
04-16-2008, 10:46
Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy being out in the open as much as you enjoyed being "in the shadows." This is a great group.

Is there a target to your bourbon collecting, or is it pretty haphazard? Any favorites?

Thank You for the kind welcome Dr. François. Is your name François?

There used to be a "target" to my bourbon collecting but anymore, I buy whatever strikes my fancy. I sometimes do silly things like when I decided to started collecting all the EW Single Barrel vintages the day I came across a 1987 vintage; I don't know why, I just did it :crazy:

Favorites? Hmmmm, yes I suppose. As I stated in my intro, I have always enjoyed the higher proof, uncut spirits. I also enjoy rye based bourbons. Some of my current favorite pours include:

Eagle rare 101 (now discontinued but I stocked up)
WT Russell's Reserve 101 (bunkered a few bottles as well)
WT 8 year old (older expressions)
WT Tribute
G.T. Stagg
William Larue Weller
Sazarac 18
Old Rip Van Winkle 15 107 (I'm very fond of Stitzell Weller whiskey)

I also have the bad habit of picking up most "dusties" that I come across. I'm close to 250 different bourbons now and that's crazy!

MiamiG
04-16-2008, 10:47
Welcome out... look forward to hearing your point of view. Please add pictures of the bottles

WHOA! That would be a task in itself. Maybe someday I'll attempt that.

MiamiG
04-16-2008, 10:49
Nice intro! Welcome aboard, Gael. I look forward to hearing your comments in the future. Where abouts is your shop located?

Cheers!

JOE

Joe, my place is in the heart of Little Havana right on Calle Ocho, however, I'm often on the road. Do you ever get down to Miami?

MiamiG
04-16-2008, 10:52
Welcome. If you ever get a chance ot meet some of these folks in person, don't miss it!

Stu, I'm looking forward to the opportunity of meeting some of the folks from this BB in person. I can tell by reading the wealth of information posted here that this is a very special group of people. Hopefully one of these days, I'll get the chance.

Dr. François
04-16-2008, 12:42
Thank You for the kind welcome Dr. François. Is your name François?

You have fine taste! Very nice selection.

François is just a play on my last name. It's a pretty close resemblance, though.

MiamiG
04-16-2008, 12:48
Ah yes! I should have noticed the "Jeremy" in your sig. Not very observant today I guess, LOL!