PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeks advice.

bluegrassboozer
04-16-2008, 11:27
Hi, I am pretty new to the world of Bourbon. I grew up around it and, as a kid, was once taken on a school field trip to one of the distilleries in Bardstown. I have been drinking Makers Mark, Ancient Age, Jim Beam, Old Crow, and Old Forrester since I was in my teens. I am looking to know where to begin with something a little "higher on the shelf". Thanks!

bluegrassboozer
04-16-2008, 11:29
Oh, I saw another thread and am headed out for some Buffalo Trace.

bluesbassdad
04-16-2008, 11:45
That's a good start!

I can almost picture you motoring up to Hi-Time (http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/08/gingrich/index.html#cnnSTCVideo) in Costa Mesa with "Salty Dog" playing at a volume setting of 12. :grin:

Eventually you owe it to yourself to try anything you can find with "Van Winkle" on the label. The Old Rip Van Winkle 10 y/o, 90 proof would do for starters. You'll find the comparison to Maker's Mark, also a wheat recipe, to be very enlightening.

Welcome aboard!

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

spun_cookie
04-16-2008, 12:45
Four Roses Single Barrel would be a good pick up along with a Weller Centennial.

... adn welcome aboard.

bluegrassboozer
04-17-2008, 10:27
Thank you! It's not often that a Procol Harum reference is slung my way!

DoubleT
04-17-2008, 21:41
Thank you! It's not often that a Procol Harum reference is slung my way!
Wow...it's not often you see someone spell Procol Harum correctly. You must be a true Conquistador.

May I also recommend a couple that aren't too pricey yet are still nice. Old Grand Dad BIB & Wild Turkey 101. You might also enjoy McAfee's Benchmark.

bluegrassboozer
04-19-2008, 23:27
Hey, I went straight to HiTimes and got the Van Winkle 10/107, Old Grand Dad BIB, and the Weller 12/90. I settled in with the Old Grand Dad tonight and can say that I am glad that I reached out to you fellas. I'll try the Weller tomorrow, Van Winkle on Monday. Thanks!

SBOmarc
04-21-2008, 13:23
Four Roses Single Barrel would be a good pick up along with a Weller Centennial.

... adn welcome aboard.

If he were to to find any 4 Roses at HiTime or anywhere else in California it would be quite a find.

smokinjoe
04-21-2008, 20:05
Welcome aboard, BGB. You have some nice recommendations so far, let me just add Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage. One of my favorites with each yearly release.

BTW, I love your "interests" in your bio. Good on you. You keep chasin' :D When you perfect it, share your secrets, OK?

Off topic here, but one of the things I love about this site, is references to seemingly bizarre things that I know nothing about (like Procol Harum). Only to Google them and find out that I did know something about it, but I didn't know that I knew. Make sense? :confused: I did like that Conquistador song, back in the day. Kinda like that Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) tune. :)

Cheers!

JOE

bluegrassboozer
04-22-2008, 10:45
Weller 12/90, ooooeeee! I realy like it. SBOmarc is correct, I have not seen any Four Roses, so far. And, BTW, there is no perfecting THAT interest, just trial and a lot of error. I have quite a few lady-friends which have been impressed with all of this good bourbon. I will get some Evan Williams Single Barrel today since I have been so happy with all of the recommendations. I had no idea what I was missing, thanks.