PDA

View Full Version : Sample shot of PVW 23?

PhilsFan
04-17-2008, 13:37
My friend at work and I were both discussing how we've never had PVW 23, and we're considering going down the street to The Maker's Mark Tavern @ 4th St Live...where a shot is $36.... Is it worth it to try it out that way?
-Joe

CorvallisCracker
04-17-2008, 13:43
That's a personal decision. In my case, I'd do it, if that were available to me.

Get them to put it in a small wine glass or small snifter, not a shot glass.

barturtle
04-17-2008, 13:53
It's about the same price at Bourbon's Bistro. You may also wanna check out Jockey Silks in the Galt House.

If you just want to try it, you may want to split the pour. A standard bar pour is more than enough for two people to do a tasting off of.

chilidawg7
04-17-2008, 13:54
i'd take that $72 and put it towards a bottle of the PVW 23. if you don't like it, you could set up a table outside the tavern and sell shots for $25 and make your $$$ back. :)

gothbat
04-17-2008, 14:36
If PVW23 is a bourbon you want to try then I don't think you're going to find a more inexpensive way to do it and if you do it won't be by much. Go for it, imo it's worth it.

spun_cookie
04-17-2008, 15:26
If you are both going to get a shot... you are at 2/3 the bottle price (2*36 - $72 plus tax....) and you will only get 1/12th the bottle (approx)

The new bottle "B" is great. I love it. I got a smoking' deal on my first one ($165 including shipping). I like it so much I bought another at ~$185.

My recommendation is you read the reviews and if you really think you want to pull the trigger, go find one or two more buddies and buy the bottle. You will not be sorry.... as a side note, I found the "A" version more oakey... the "B" is smoother and like nectar from the gods.....

OscarV
04-17-2008, 15:44
My friend at work and I were both discussing how we've never had PVW 23, and we're considering going down the street to The Maker's Mark Tavern @ 4th St Live...where a shot is $36.... Is it worth it to try it out that way?
-Joe

that is an interesting price

MI has a higher alcchol tax than KY and I know a place in Ann Arbor that will pour it for $32.00.

bluesbassdad
04-17-2008, 15:49
I've never tasted PVW 23. However, I have some experience that may be relevant.

I like PVW 15 y/o better than PVW 20 y/o. The 20 y/o is interesting; I'm glad I had the opportunity to taste it. However, if both were equally available and priced the same, I'd drink at least 10 times more of the 15 y/o.

I like Hirsch 16 y/o (gold wax) better than Hirsch 20 y/o. I get the same flavors in both, but in the 20 y/o the wood influence has overtaken other, more subtle flavors I enjoy.

I like Elijah Craig 12 y/o better than the 18 y/o. The situation parallels the Hirsch, only more so.

Given that I seem to like younger better than older when the age is greater than 12 years, I would try PVW 23 only out of curiosity, not with the expectation that I would enjoy it more than the 20 y/o, to say nothing of the 15 y/o.

On the other hand if my preferences were the opposite in each of the situations above, then I'd probably plot and scheme until I was able to buy a bottle of the 23 y/o.

What is your general preference, if any, in regard to old versus super-old bourbon?

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

PhilsFan
04-17-2008, 18:35
I've never tasted PVW 23. However, I have some experience that may be relevant.

What is your general preference, if any, in regard to old versus super-old bourbon?

Dave, I only have 4 bourbons in the house right now...
WR, ETL, FRSB and Weller Antique... So I don't believe I've ever had anything over 10 years old.

_Joe

PhilsFan
04-17-2008, 19:17
that is an interesting price

MI has a higher alcchol tax than KY and I know a place in Ann Arbor that will pour it for $32.00.

Oscar, the really interesting price is what The Brown Hotel @ 4th and
Broadway is charging...$47!

-Joe

BourbonJoe
04-17-2008, 19:26
Oscar, the really interesting price is what The Brown Hotel @ 4th and
Broadway is charging...$47!

-Joe

Do you get a "hot brown" with that for that price?
Joe :usflag:

bluesbassdad
04-17-2008, 19:47
Joe,

I've always been a little offended when I've been on the receiving end of what I'm about to say. The snobbery cannot be concealed.

IMO you'll appreciate, not necessarily like, super-aged bourbons (as I call them) much more a year or two from now when you have experienced and filed away the flavors of several young and suitably-aged (by my reckoning) bourbons.

To make an analogy with autos, someone whose total driving experience has been in a Chevy Aveo may not be prepared to enjoy sorting out the differences between a basic Corvette Coupe and a Corvette Z06.

The problem with that analogy is that the Corvettes are demonstrably better for some purposes than an Aveo. I'm not sure the same can be said regarding bourbon of differing ages.

In spite of the above if you may never have another chance, I suggest you give it a try.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

SBOmarc
04-17-2008, 21:30
Before I tasted PVW 23 I would have been adamant for you to find and taste this whiskey.

I have sampled 3 different versions. It is easy for me, or anyone else that has had the same opportunity to tell you what to do, or what not to do. We are not in your shoes.

If I were, I would use this adage.

If you have a problem that can be solved by money, it's an expense, not a problem.

Spend it, Enjoy it. Good Luck

PhilsFan
04-18-2008, 02:17
Joe,

I've always been a little offended when I've been on the receiving end of what I'm about to say. The snobbery cannot be concealed.

IMO you'll appreciate, not necessarily like, super-aged bourbons (as I call them) much more a year or two from now when you have experienced and filed away the flavors of several young and suitably-aged (by my reckoning) bourbons.

To make an analogy with autos, someone whose total driving experience has been in a Chevy Aveo may not be prepared to enjoy sorting out the differences between a basic Corvette Coupe and a Corvette Z06.

The problem with that analogy is that the Corvettes are demonstrably better for some purposes than an Aveo. I'm not sure the same can be said regarding bourbon of differing ages.

In spite of the above if you may never have another chance, I suggest you give it a try.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Dave, You did not offend me in the least. In fact, my original plan was to work my way up from younger to older for the very reason that you stated, that at this point I have not matured enough as a bourbon drinker to appreciate some of the subtle differences I would find in the older bourbons. My friend at work has been itching to try it and some of you on SB.com have touted PVW 23 as the gold standard so naturally I am curious about it.

-Joe

doubleblank
04-18-2008, 06:19
There's also quite a large contingent here that wouldn't put the "regular" Pappy 23 in their top 10 list. As someone already suggested, buy one pour and share with your friend. If you don't care for it, then try Pappy 15.

Randy

Rancastle
04-18-2008, 06:22
-Joe

If you and your friend are attending the sampler, and or Gazebo festivities, I'll bring a bottle.

PhilsFan
04-18-2008, 11:40
If you and your friend are attending the sampler, and or Gazebo festivities, I'll bring a bottle.

I had read a couple of posts about the sampler but I don't know much about it and I thought it was for the longer-tenured members, not newbies like me.
-Joe

BourbonJoe
04-18-2008, 11:48
I had read a couple of posts about the sampler but I don't know much about it and I thought it was for the longer-tenured members, not newbies like me.
-Joe

You're wrong, my friend. The Sampler and gazebo are open to all bourbon loving brethren. Hope to see you there.

PhilsFan
04-18-2008, 13:03
You're wrong, my friend. The Sampler and gazebo are open to all bourbon loving brethren. Hope to see you there.

Thanks...only thing is, my friend's wife is pregnant and is due May 7th, so we'll have to play it by ear... The only restriction he gave her was "You can't have the baby on Derby Day" :lol:

-Joe

craigthom
04-19-2008, 07:38
Do you get a "hot brown" with that for that price?

Here I am with moe thread creep. The hot brown at the Brown for lunch is about $15, which is more than twice what it costs at Cunningham's at the other end of the block. It's about ten times as good. If you want to try a hot brown, and you want a really good one, spend the money and get the expensive one at the Brown.

Then run across the street to the BBC and get a PVW15.

PhilsFan
04-19-2008, 09:52
Here I am with moe thread creep. The hot brown at the Brown for lunch is about $15, which is more than twice what it costs at Cunningham's at the other end of the block. It's about ten times as good. If you want to try a hot brown, and you want a really good one, spend the money and get the expensive one at the Brown.

Then run across the street to the BBC and get a PVW15.

Good analogy, I work right next to Cunningham's and lots of folks where I work buy their lunch there. Anything from The Brown would have to be ten times as good as Cunningham's but particularly their signature creation.

I may have to get that pour of PVW 23 this week.

-Joe

callmeox
04-19-2008, 19:10

My budget and palate would appreciate a similar offer for one of the KBF gazebos. I believe that I'll make it to the gazebo each evening of KBF this September, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. :grin:

PhilsFan
04-20-2008, 04:08
If you are both going to get a shot... you are at 2/3 the bottle price (2*36 - $72 plus tax....) and you will only get 1/12th the bottle (approx)

The new bottle "B" is great. I love it. I got a smoking' deal on my first one ($165 including shipping). I like it so much I bought another at ~$185.

My recommendation is you read the reviews and if you really think you want to pull the trigger, go find one or two more buddies and buy the bottle. You will not be sorry.... as a side note, I found the "A" version more oakey... the "B" is smoother and like nectar from the gods.....

Spun - Since we have at least 2 or 3 bourbon fans at my workplace that idea may have promise... Just a couple of questions...Where's a good place to find bottles to decant the portions for each guy? And since the "B" version sounds really good...How do you tell on the bottle that it's the "B" Version?

Thanks, Joe

spun_cookie
04-20-2008, 10:21
Spun - Since we have at least 2 or 3 bourbon fans at my workplace that idea may have promise... Just a couple of questions...Where's a good place to find bottles to decant the portions for each guy? And since the "B" version sounds really good...How do you tell on the bottle that it's the "B" Version?

Thanks, Joe

Joe, On the label it will have a number and a letter designator. The bottle I have is Bottle # B189. The B is what you are looking for. The "A" is good, just not as good to me.

I got my last bottle from Julio's Liquor. PM me for details.

On decanting. I recommend you use 3-4 200 ml bottles (stuff you already have consumed so the bottles will be free) and just pour it in.

For three of you that is perfect. You get together for the first pour (about 50 ml each, and then you fill up the three 200 ml bottles and you are set.

Four of you can use 4 100 ml bottles and 4 50 ml bottles and pour less than 50 ml each on the first pour and your set.. and so on...

My guess if there is four of you trying this the first time, y'all will go through 100 ml each leaving about 350 ml to divide... after that, you just need a small funnel (I use a flask funnel).

You will all get to try a lot more of the bourbon for a much better price with extra to spare (this is how I rationalize buying bourbon all the time).

I use 50ml bottles all the time to trade back and forth with folks to taste different bourbons. I call it 50 ml tennis.... I love to get a good serve...

PhilsFan
04-20-2008, 10:35
Joe, On the label it will have a number and a letter designator. The bottle I have is Bottle # B189. The B is what you are looking for. The "A" is good, just not as good to me.

I got my last bottle from Julio's Liquor. PM me for details.

On decanting. I recommend you use 3-4 200 ml bottles (stuff you already have consumed so the bottles will be free) and just pour it in.

For three of you that is perfect. You get together for the first pour (about 50 ml each, and then you fill up the three 200 ml bottles and you are set.

You will all get to try a lot more of the bourbon for a much better price with extra to spare (this is how I rationalize buying bourbon all the time).

Spun-Thanks for the great info, I will take it to the guys at work tomorrow. Are you going to the Sampler next weekend?

-Joe

spun_cookie
04-20-2008, 10:51
I wish. Tied up next weekend, but I will make it next year. I will be out in KY on June 8th and 9th doing some barrel tasting whoo-hoo

Have fun at the Sampler...