PDA

View Full Version : Hello from England

Wonderboy
04-25-2008, 19:37
Hi everyone, I seemed to have registered here a while ago but never got round to posting, so I figured now was as good a time as any.

As the title says, I live in England, so I am quite limited in the Bourbon I can buy. On my shelf currently I have -

Maker's Mark
Knob Creek
Old Grandad
Wild Turkey (80 proof, all I could find)
Bulleit
Jim Beam Black (for when a drunk friend wants something to mix with coke)

and a bottle of JD Silver Select (not Bourbon I know, but still).

The main reason for posting this is that I just booked a trip to America for my 21st next year, staying in Bardstown for 3 days amongst other things, and I was wondering what "essential" bourbons I should pick up. I don't really want to be spending more than $70-80 on a single bottle and being from the UK I can probably only take 4 back with me (2 with my allowance and 1 each of my parents). Of the bottles I have currently, I tend to favour the Maker's and the WT, so I'm thinking a bottle of Rare Breed is almost a certainty, and I may pick up another bottle of Maker's (apparently if you buy a bottle at the distillery you get to "wax" it yourself, which would be cool). So are there any in particular which I simply cannot miss out on?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Chupacabras
04-25-2008, 20:10
The good Bourbons can be hard to find, even in the continental U.S., my cousin seperated by a common language. Your liking of wheaters would steer me towards recommending getting a Weller 107 and a Fighting Cock, but after that bottle availability will become very location (and hook-up) specific. Run down your total US dollar availability and state and the advice should get better.

HipFlask
04-25-2008, 22:00
WL Weller 12 yr 90. Anything Van Winkle. Four Roses single barrel or small batch. I'd pass on taking back MM but buy a bottle wax it and drink it while you are here as you can find it at home. Get the Rare breed since you can't. Enjoy your trip to the states! Welcome to the board.

spun_cookie
04-26-2008, 07:01
Welcome sir... good to see another from accross the pond.. You have oen hell of a store at yor disposal there (bourbon exchange), if you can afford the price... but at least you can get everything...

fishnbowljoe
04-27-2008, 12:31
Welcome to SB. Hope your upcoming trip to the US is a good one. There are a couple of good liquor stores in Bardstown you can check out when you come. I was/am a Makers Mark fan. Since joining SB I have started trying other bourbons, and my tastes have change. My personal recommendations would be some of the Buffalo Trace bourbons. My personal favorite is the Eagle Rare 10 yr old. Elmer T. Lee, Weller 12 yr.old, and Buffalo Trace are all good too IMHO. I have a bottle of Old Rip VanWinkle 10 yr old that I haven't tried yet, but from many of the posts here all the VanWinkle products are good bourbons. The ETL and BT are very similar, so you might be able to exclude one of those. (BT is less expensive though) Also check some of the other posts here on SB. There are posts from many members that could be of more help to you. Again, welcome and good luck. Joe

PS. I agree with HipFlask about the MM bottle you dip. I've got one, and it's only a 375 ml bottle anyway. May as well take a full size 750 ml back with you.

MiamiG
04-28-2008, 07:58
Welcome sir... good to see another from accross the pond.. You have oen hell of a store at yor disposal there (bourbon exchange), if you can afford the price... but at least you can get everything...

Hmmm, did you by chance mean the "Whisky Exchange"? I've never heard of the "Bourbon Exchange" :rolleyes:

Welcome WonderBoy!

spun_cookie
04-28-2008, 11:33
dee-dee-dee... yes, had bourbon on the brain, sort of like water on teh brain, but better :D

PhilsFan
04-28-2008, 13:05
Welcome...I'm a relatively new member too...and these are a bunch of fun, helpful guys...if you ask just about anything...someone will have an answer for you quickly.

Some of the bourbons they've steered me to recently are
ETL, FRSB, Weller Antique 107 and ORVW10/107 and you won't go wrong with any of them.

-Joe

drrich1965
04-30-2008, 16:43
Well, since you can only bring back four, and given what the prices are in the UK for bourbon, you might as well go a mid to high end..

Pappy 15
Pappy 20
Stagg
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

That would give you an average of about 65 dollars or so, per bottle..

Or, for something really different, I would reccmoned an Old Potrero Single Malt Rye, if you can find it, or even a Macarthy's Oregon Single malt (very mixed reviews, but I love it.

drrich1965
04-30-2008, 16:43
Well, since you can only bring back four, and given what the prices are in the UK for bourbon, you might as well go mid to high end..

Pappy 15
Pappy 20
Stagg
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

That would give you an average of about 65 dollars or so, per bottle..

Or, for something really different, I would reccmoned an Old Potrero Single Malt Rye, if you can find it, or even a Macarthy's Oregon Single malt (very mixed reviews, but I love it.

Stu
04-30-2008, 23:31
While you're here, taste Kentucky Spirit and Rare Breed side by side in a bar before you decide which WT you want to take home. I personally prefer KS, but tastes differ.

PhilsFan
05-01-2008, 03:49
I would second Stu's opinion on Kentucky Spirit... AC Detroit recommended it to me at the Sampler & I tried it... KS is excellent.

-Joe

Wonderboy
05-10-2008, 15:56
Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry I haven't posted sooner but I was snowed under with Uni work. I'm leaning towards the idea of mid to high end bourbons (hell, a bottle of Woodford Reserve costs £25/$50 where I am) and will definately try before I buy. Also decided to drink the Maker's while I'm over (got a week to kill in Florida after KY so it'll be appreciated then).

Also, anyone know if the cigars that Maker's Mark sell are worth buying?

OldJack
05-11-2008, 13:44
If you like flavored cigars (and I, for one, do,) the Maker's are OK. I tend to prefer Drew Estates Acid Kuba Kuba with a nice pour. It is an infused cigar remnecent of a high-quality pipe tobacco and it is absolutely intoxicating. Most anything put out by Drew gets my vote, though. Interesting company.

JamesW
05-14-2008, 08:36
Yes welcome! I agree with most here, if you like the wheated I'd pick up the following...

Pappy 20
Pappy 15 if you can find it
Rip Van Winkle Lot B
Weller Centennial if you can find it
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr 107 proof - Excellent value (Excellent bourbon too!)

Good Hunting!

James

Wonderboy
05-28-2008, 08:13
Thanks again for the replies. Turns out that I can only take back 3 litres duty free so I'll be limited to 3 bottles by the look of it. I'll take note of all the bottles mentioned on this thread and have to taste them (repeatedly, to whittle them down, tough job huh) then bring the ones which I enjoy most back.

Damn UK custom laws.

Also, something which may amuse you guys in the US, I saw a bottle of Jim Beam White (1L) in a supermarket the other day on sale for £25 (roughly $50) which struck me as rather insane.