PDA

View Full Version : What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

boss302
04-28-2008, 22:08
Since the bourbon forums have a thread like this, I thought it would be nice to have one for my fellow malt advocates.

spun_cookie
04-28-2008, 22:43
I like it... and it only seems fair.. in your honer, a snipit of A'bundah tonight...

mier
04-29-2008, 00:36
Just woke up at this side of the ocean,how about a cuppa tea?
Eric.

drrich1965
04-29-2008, 12:29
Caol Ila 14yo Signatory- one of the best Caol Ilas I have had. Far more peated than most, and some deep sweetness for balance. Just a great dram, too bad I am at the end of the bottle (but thankfully I always keep a 4oz sample for future tasting).

Gov
04-29-2008, 16:17
Kilbeggan and it is suprisingly good!

Jazzhead
04-29-2008, 17:59
I'm sipping a 1991 Rosebank, 15 years old from Signatory. My favorite lowland, and one of my favorite single malts, period. This is a lowland with all the traits of the style, but with punch, with malty zest that carries from the nose through to the finish. Balanced, perfect.

Gov
04-29-2008, 18:01
Now, the hauntingly great OP 12

Martian
04-29-2008, 18:23
Grant's Family Reserve. Definitely a best buy.

Gov
04-29-2008, 21:00
Grant's Family Reserve. Definitely a best buy.

Yes, I totally agree. It is very tasty!

Megawatt
04-30-2008, 04:49
The Glendronach Original 12. Interesting stuff; the fruitiness of cognac meets robust oak that is very bourbon-like. With water, there is almost a candied sweetness to the nose...this one will definitely require more exploration...

boss302
04-30-2008, 12:19
The last dram of my Glenmorangie 18-year, the older version that is matured exlcusively in American Oak. I think some of it is re-used bourbon casks, while others are new casks.

The oak is absolutely HUGE for what is really a light, delicate Highland scotch-- almost as heavily-oaked as some of the 10+ year bourbons.

The newer 18-year is matured for at least 15 years in American oak, then for at least another 3 years in Spanish oak. I look forward to trying it, assuming that the state will ever decide to carry it at some point...

drrich1965
04-30-2008, 16:35
Since the other thread was about Speysides- A wee dram of Glenlivet 21.

PAspirit1
04-30-2008, 17:49
A little bit of White Horse.

Gov
04-30-2008, 19:49
My first dram of Lagavulin 16. It is an absolute stunner!! Camp fires on the beach!!! Smoke, smoke and more smoke with some peat thrown in. Sweet sherry and salty. Wonderful layers of taste. I think its my favorite Islay!

boss302
04-30-2008, 21:08
My first dram of Lagavulin 16. It is an absolute stunner!! Camp fires on the beach!!! Smoke, smoke and more smoke with some peat thrown in. Sweet sherry and salty. Wonderful layers of taste. I think its my favorite Islay!

Hi Gov,

I share your sentiment regarding Lagavulin. I also highly recommend the Laphroaig 15-year. There are many similarities, but a few subtle differences.

Gov
05-01-2008, 11:22
I want to try Laph 15, thanks for the recommendation

AVB
05-01-2008, 17:21
Bladnoch 15 yo cask strength is about to go in the glass.

drrich1965
05-01-2008, 17:43
Scapa 12yo 1991 (G and M, 40%). Malty center, gentle peat, sweetness from the malt, and mabye some refill sherry. A sample sealed from a bottle I had over a year ago- good stuff. Scapa is very underrated (or at last under appeciated).

boss302
05-01-2008, 20:30
Bladnoch 15 yo cask strength is about to go in the glass.

Ah, yes, the John MacDougall collection. I think I'll help myself to a dram of that right now...

Yellowjacket
05-03-2008, 19:50
Had a scotch whisky tasting at my house last night. Here are some photos. Very nice drams and everyone had a great time.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii258/rbgardn/IMG_1388.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii258/rbgardn/IMG_1389.jpg

Cheers - Bob

boss302
05-03-2008, 22:55
Very nice drams and everyone had a great time.

Geez...

Glendronach...

Longmorn...

Glen Moray...

That must have been an awesome evening!

mier
05-04-2008, 08:08
I`m sippin` a Manhattan right now.
Eric.

barturtle
05-04-2008, 21:48
Black Bottle NAS, a fine youthful Islay style blend

spun_cookie
05-04-2008, 23:27
my talisker 18 died on Sat.... one of the Chief engineers I use to work for came over and his wife was a scotch fan. Half a bottle of talisker 18 and obon 14 later...

granted there was two drinking FROM those, but they also had my 15 yr sherry cask albacore and my a'bundah... good damn thing they were not driving....

CorvallisCracker
05-05-2008, 08:52
Had a scotch whisky tasting at my house last night. Here are some photos. Very nice drams and everyone had a great time.

Cheers - Bob

I'm curious - how did the Aberlour 16 do compared to the others?

Yellowjacket
05-05-2008, 16:05
I'm curious - how did the Aberlour 16 do compared to the others?

Of course, there were varying opinions about each whisky. But, in general, the Longmorn was the favorite. The Aberlour 16 was generally the next favored. The opinions - The Longmorn is a very nice multi-layered dram with a high level of complexity. The Aberlour is very smooth with a rich sherry flavor (as expected), but not as complex as the Longmorn. All were very good, but the Glen Moray seemed to be on the bottom of the list for most. The Glenfarclas 21 was very nice, but seemed to fall in about third or fourth.

Bob

texascarl
05-05-2008, 20:12
A Rob Roy made with Grant's family reserve. Tasty.

TNbourbon
05-05-2008, 20:21
...All were very good, but the Glen Moray seemed to be on the bottom of the list for most. The Glenfarclas 21 was very nice, but seemed to fall in about third or fourth.

Bob

I'm not surprised that the Glen Moray finished as an also-ran in this company. But, that said -- and considering price -- I think Glen Moray 12yo is a very fine 'beginner's' single malt. We sell a fair amount of it at my part-time-employing liquor store, and often get customers who 'trade up' afterward, enjoying the genre.

Megawatt
05-06-2008, 04:36
Of course, there were varying opinions about each whisky. But, in general, the Longmorn was the favorite. The Aberlour 16 was generally the next favored. The opinions - The Longmorn is a very nice multi-layered dram with a high level of complexity. The Aberlour is very smooth with a rich sherry flavor (as expected), but not as complex as the Longmorn. All were very good, but the Glen Moray seemed to be on the bottom of the list for most. The Glenfarclas 21 was very nice, but seemed to fall in about third or fourth.

Bob

Longmorn 15 is fantastic. An unbelievable value, as far as singlr malts are concerned.

LeoDLion
05-06-2008, 06:45
Last week, I brought a bottle of Lag Cask Strength and a 10 yr Black Bottle on a cruise. By the time I came back home, the lag is gone but the Black Bottle still have a couple of dram which I have last night. For some reason, the whisky taste better at home.

Gov
05-06-2008, 13:24
A large dram of WT 101 and a big fat cigar. While sitting on my deck in the sun!!!! It was a great experience!

Megawatt
05-06-2008, 17:35
Having some Gentleman Jack at the moment.

Gov
05-06-2008, 18:18
The Dalmore 12. The bottle is almost empty!

spun_cookie
05-06-2008, 18:25
Tonight it was a nice little pour of

Regular 10 yr
Sherry Finished
Port Finished
Sauternes Finished
18yr
25yr (special pour - they brought this for the tasting)With Annabel Meikle Whisky Creator & Sensory Expert Master Distiller from Glenmorangie at Julio's tonight. She and her team are just wonderful folks.

I am not a big scotch fan, but I liked these and the 25 yr was just wonder ful with graet complexities of a bourbon with little to no oak taste to it more than the appropriate balance

drrich1965
05-06-2008, 18:39
What a great Glenmoranie flight.....I am having a wee dram of Glenfarclas 12-a wonderful dram at any price, and even better for $35.

Yellowjacket
05-06-2008, 20:53
spun_cookie,
Great Glenmorangie line-up! I really enjoy the 18 yo.

spun_cookie
05-06-2008, 21:13
Thanks... it was good. The peat in each was mod/low so I really got to enjoy the whiskey. I picked up a Sauternes and Port finish for a couple buddies and got Annabel to sign them... the 18 was tied for my second favorite with teh Sauternes. The 25 yr was the best of the bunch.

What I like about the Sauternes is that it was not real sweet. It was very subtle and added good dimentions to the whiskey. I find the cognac finished whiskeys overpower the whiskey... this was not the case at all here

boss302
05-06-2008, 22:57
Tonight it was a nice little pour of

Regular 10 yr
Sherry Finished
Port Finished
Sauternes Finished
18yr
25yr (special pour - they brought this for the tasting)With Annabel Meikle Whisky Creator & Sensory Expert Master Distiller from Glenmorangie at Julio's tonight. She and her team are just wonderful folks.

I am not a big scotch fan, but I liked these and the 25 yr was just wonder ful with graet complexities of a bourbon with little to no oak taste to it more than the appropriate balance

Most of my fellow scotch drinkers will tell you that I am one of the biggest Glenmorangie groupies out there. You have no idea how sick with envy I feel right now...

My personal favorite was the Madeira finish, which has been, sadly, discontinued. I look forward to trying their Nectar D'or (the Sauterns finish) some time soon, though...

spun_cookie
05-07-2008, 08:11
Eric,
This is one of those "righ place, right time" situations. It was a fluke that I was able to be in town... I went ahead and made the trip from Walthum to Westboro to pick up some bourbon from Julio's. Ryan had told me it was going on Tuesday, so I went down instead of Wednesday like I had planned to. Very glad I did...

Stu
05-07-2008, 16:49
I started with Old Fitz, then joined my wife for some Speyside 12. This is from the same distillery that does Drumguish. I had some 5 yr old Drumguish in Scotland some years back and I think this is the same whisky, only 7 years older. It is well named, light, slightly floral, heather - a typical true speyside. Unfortunately I was going back for another wee dram, but my wife killed the bottle. Oh well, on to bigger and better things (i.e. a different bottle).

Gov
05-07-2008, 18:14
Johnnie Walker Green, my favorite JW

CorvallisCracker
05-08-2008, 11:45
Tuesday night I sampled my just-purchased Rosebank 13yo sherry-cask-aged alongside some Aberlour a'bunadh. The Rosebank is very light in color and has a delicate malt and sherry nose. On the palate these flavors are again subtle, and the the entry and mid-palate are quite smooth as is the finish.

The a'bunadh, of course, was darker and more full-bodied and added a peat element. Because I'm not a big fan of peat, between these two I preferred the Rosebank.

Last night I compared the Rosebank to some Redbreast 12yo Irish. The Redbreast seemed to have a bourbon element on the nose (I guess it's wholly or partially aged in old bourbon barrels), and much more full-bodied and a touch smoother than the Rosebank. Between these two I prefer the Redbreast.

Gov
05-08-2008, 16:47
The Famous Grouse Finest. A very easy drinking well blended scotch!

JamesW
05-08-2008, 17:53
I am really enjoying a not so wee and soon to be friggin' huge dram of Talisker 18 yr. The Talisker has everything for me, smoke, a little peat, and some peppery spice that just lights up the glass. It is such a smooth and easy drinking scotch. For all those who know me here I'm a Bourbon drinker who was converted from scotch but man this glass just brings me back to what whisky is all about. The only problem is that it really makes me crave a good cigar or at least a cigarette to go with it but alas those days are long past...http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

drrich1965
05-09-2008, 20:05
Again, Glenlivet 21. The complexity is improving as it opens up from oxidation. Increased maltyness, and a hint of oak and peat begin to slug it out with the sherry, which was too much at first (I am not a lover of sherry bombs). A good whisky, but not as rich as the Nadurra, and frankly not nearly my favorite expressoin of Glenlivet, which I love in older, independent bottelings (and at about the same price).

AVB
05-10-2008, 13:55
Balvenie PortWood 1991. They should make this stuff available in the states or at least the 1993 version.

drrich1965
05-10-2008, 16:20
Balvenie PortWood 1991. They should make this stuff available in the states or at least the 1993 version.

I had a bottle that I got from a duty free store in Mexico. I really liked the 91, and the 21 yo Portwood is a great dram...

JamesW
05-10-2008, 17:26
Starting the evening with a solid dram of Lagavulin 16. Peat layered with smoky peat. Nice and smooth with a little spicy finish,

drrich1965
05-10-2008, 19:22
A dram of Highland Park 12, the new bottle. Extremly good, perhaps a bit more sherry and oak than old- a big whisky.

Megawatt
05-11-2008, 07:24
A hell of a tasting session last night:

The Glendronach Original 12
Oban 14
The Arran Malt Single Cask (cognac finish)
The Balvenie Single Barrel 15

All fantastic malts. It was my first glass of Oban, and I was really impressed, but it runs $89 a bottle here, so I can't see myself buying it any time soon.

It was my second-ever glass of The Balvenie 15, and It was even better than the first time I had it. Quite a remarkable dram.

LeoDLion
05-12-2008, 06:43
I bought a bottle of 12 yr old BenRiach. I have high hopes for this single malt because its one of the heavily peated whisky that is not in the island of Islay. Available in the store was a 10 yr and a 18 yr. Its about 46 abv so added a teaspoon of water. The peatiness is there but I was not very impressed with the body. I thought the aftertaste was thin.

JamesW
05-12-2008, 19:35
Drank two nice pours of aberlour a'bunadh and am feeling no pain. I am really floored by how much I enjoyed these drams. Delicious :yum:

Megawatt
05-13-2008, 14:59
My first glass of Teacher's Highland Cream. Nothing too mind-blowing, but it is a cheap blend after all. Nice nose, but the flavour is a bit lacking. I'm sure the coffee I had beforehand didn't do my palette any favours, though...

Gov
05-13-2008, 17:38
My first glass of Teacher's Highland Cream. Nothing too mind-blowing, but it is a cheap blend after all. Nice nose, but the flavour is a bit lacking. I'm sure the coffee I had beforehand didn't do my palette any favours, though...

Give it time to open up and make sure your palate is cleansed. I am certain that you will find it much more flavorful.

JamesW
05-13-2008, 18:28
Enjoying another night with my bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh.

Megawatt
05-13-2008, 19:14
Give it time to open up and make sure your palate is cleansed. I am certain that you will find it much more flavorful.

So far, I'm finding a bitterness in the flavour that is turning me off of it...I hope I like it better tomorrow...

Gov
05-13-2008, 20:39
Enjoying another night with my bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh.

Careful, its awfully powerful and way way way smooooooooth ! :grin:

JamesW
05-14-2008, 04:52
Careful, its awfully powerful and way way way smooooooooth ! :grin:

hehe thanks for that warning. It is really smooth and delicious. It really creeps up on you. I had a pour of Talisker Distillers Edition after that but had to really keep it small as I was already reaching my limit from that AAhttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

JamesW
05-15-2008, 18:45
started the night with a'bunadh and now on to a nice pour of Talisker 18. This stuff is magnificent. I'm enjoying it neat at the behest of Gov and I can really taste more of the smoky and spicy elements this way. Very nice and neat http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Gov
05-15-2008, 20:50
A'Bunadh batch #21 with a splash of water. This is the only whisk(e)y I drink not neat. It needs a splash of water.

Gov
05-15-2008, 20:51
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]

Glad you are liking your scotch neat :grin:

PAspirit1
05-16-2008, 17:53
Highland Park 12. Is this nearly 4 times better than Whitehorse (thats the price difference)? I don't know but it is a great whiskey.

Gillman
05-16-2008, 22:36
A 1960's era Haig & Haig 5 Star, possibly late 50's judging by the graphics and heavy tall brown concave bottle. This was found in one of those mini displays in a liquor store, in New York in this case. The Haig was the only oldie, lagging amongst its much younger (in issuance year) Gaelic progeny and modern American whiskey cousins.

The dram is rich, heavy, full of peat, brine, cigar box and something indefinable which may be I think old Campbelltown whiskeys.

I say this because in a 1940's book called The Earnest Drinker, the author mentioned that if anything the Campbelltowns were more intense than Islays. That seems not true today, but today there are only two distilleries left on Campbelltown and I suspect the style of whisky on the near-Island has changed somewhat since the 40's. Springbank's Longrow may come close to the style the 1940's writer had in mind.

Anyway, this is a fine dram and, in my experience, there is nothing quite like it in the blenders' repertoire today. It tastes sort of like Johnnie Walker Gold with a dashes of Johnnie Blue and Longrow. The grain whisky comes in at the end, and is not unwelcome, it is the springs on which the malty mattress lies.

Haig & Haig 5 Star probably is still marketed (possibly in select European and South American markets, maybe the Far East). I'd like to try it to see if it is as good as 40 and 50 years ago.

Gary

JamesW
05-17-2008, 17:27
Starting with my aberlour a'bunadh and then moving on to Talisker 18. This one- two combo works well for me http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

JamesW
05-17-2008, 19:50
add to that some Lagavulin 16. It's Saturday night and I'm not working tomorrow so why not?!

spun_cookie
05-17-2008, 20:22
James... it is "wee" dram.. not "super sized" dram :D

JamesW
05-17-2008, 20:51
James... it is "wee" dram.. not "super sized" dram :D

Like Mike Myers on SNL said... a wee, a not-so-wee, and a friggin' huge dram. (I added the dramhttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif)

"Welcome to all things Scottish. Where if it's not Scottish, it's crap!"http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

boss302
05-18-2008, 00:09
I'm now enjoying a Glenfiddich 15-year Solera Reserve.

It seems like William Grant's flagship dram has definitely been to charm school.

Seriously, this is one of the best "bang for the buck" Scotch Whiskies on the market, IMHO. The fact that it marries American tradition (refill bourbon casks, plus new American oak casks) with Spanish tradition (refill Oloroso Sherry casks, plus the Solera vat system) is unique to the industry, and quite inventive in its own right.

The Glenfiddich 12-year may be somewhat forgettable, but the 15-year is definitely a keeper!

Megawatt
05-18-2008, 10:08
I almost bought that 15-year, but I opted for Talisker 10 instead. Wow! Fantastic stuff. I'm usually not much for the smokey Scotches, but there is such a rich, complex layer of malt in this whisky that I am amazed! The smoke adds some great balance. One of the best whiskies I have yet taste.

Megawatt
05-18-2008, 10:10
Highland Park 12. Is this nearly 4 times better than Whitehorse (thats the price difference)? I don't know but it is a great whiskey.

You are comparing an aged single malt to a young blend. It's hard to quantify taste vs. price, but I bet if you were to compare them side-by-side, you'd be spitting the White Horse out after having Highland Park.

TBoner
05-18-2008, 13:10
Murray McDavid Leapfrog. This is a Laphroaig independent bottling (not all that common an occurrence): unchillfiltered, no caramel color. The whisky was barreled in bourbon cask in 1987, bottled in 1999. Superb. It displays its origins nicely: peat fills the room; vaguely vanilla-oak sweetness tries to matter, but doesn't. A big deal was made of this stuff upon its release, since Laphroaig didn't allow the distillery name to be put on the bottle (or more correctly, Allied didn't allow it). I'd say it's a great independent bottling, and given that it's my favorite Scottish distillery, this is a great whisky. Worthy of legendary status? Perhaps not, but I picked my bottles up for a song, relatively speaking. Damn fine whisky.

JamesW
05-18-2008, 13:25
I almost bought that 15-year, but I opted for Talisker 10 instead. Wow! Fantastic stuff. I'm usually not much for the smokey Scotches, but there is such a rich, complex layer of malt in this whisky that I am amazed! The smoke adds some great balance. One of the best whiskies I have yet taste.

You have to try the 18 yr old. Same smokiness with spice and smooooth as can be.

PAspirit1
05-18-2008, 15:08
You are comparing an aged single malt to a young blend. It's hard to quantify taste vs. price, but I bet if you were to compare them side-by-side, you'd be spitting the White Horse out after having Highland Park.

Probably so. Actually, I should compare them side by side.

shoshani
05-18-2008, 21:12
Probably so. Actually, I should compare them side by side.

One of the things that everyone should be aware of is that if a blend uses a specific malt, that malt may not be anywhere near what would be recognized from its bottlings.

Case in point: Famous Grouse contains Highland Park and Macallan. However, the HP and Macallan may be younger or older than what gets bottled as a single malt, and may in fact have a different finish. (Macallan does use a small amount of bourbon casks, probably for whisky intended for blending. Independent bottlers have issued bourbon-cask Mac, but you will never find it in the distillery's own bottlings, which focus on first- and second-fill sherry for the single malt expressions.)

White Horse has Lagavulin in it; that's one of its "heart" constituents. But it may well be Lagavulin that is matured further inland, away from the sea exposure and thus the brine.

(I am that rare heretic who believes that, so far as Scotch and especially Irish whisk[e]y is concerned, blends have their place in the world and there are some mighty complex and delicious blends out there, not all of which are or have to be expensive.)

boss302
05-18-2008, 22:15
Macallan does use a small amount of bourbon casks, probably for whisky intended for blending. Independent bottlers have issued bourbon-cask Mac, but you will never find it in the distillery's own bottlings, which focus on first- and second-fill sherry for the single malt expressions.

I cannot say this with 100% certainty, but I am fairly sure the MacAllan casks meant for blenders are probably Dry Oloroso Sherry casks-- their refusal to break with traditional Spanish Oak was their primary selling point, for blenders and single-malt drinkers alike.

MacAllan does use a small number of American Oak casks for their Fine Oak series, which are matured in both Spanish and American Oak, following competitors' trends.

While it is possible that some American Oak-matured MacAllan may be used in blends, I would say it is unlikely, as the dominant Sherry notes are MacAllan's real value to a blender.

JamesW
05-19-2008, 19:10
I'm thoroughly enjoying a few drams of Lagavulin 16 and now Talisker 18. Like peat for dinner and then smoke for dessert.

Gov
05-19-2008, 19:51
Laga 16 and words cannot describe how friggin good it is!!

JamesW
05-20-2008, 20:12
Started with aberlour a'bunadh batch #18 and then caol ila 12 yr. Damn good whiskey.

CorvallisCracker
05-21-2008, 08:38
Last night picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18yo. Never had it before.

Poured a couple of ounces into a port glass when I got home.

Wow. Except for a hint of peat, the nose could be that of a good brandy or cognac. As for the taste, a single word - balance - sums it up. Peat...but not too much. Sherry...but not too much. Oak...but not too much. Malt...but not too much. If Goldilocks was a whisky drinker, this would be her Scotch.

Super smooth finish. Great stuff. Paul Pacult calls this "the best whisky in the world". I wouldn't go that far, because there are a number of bourbons I prefer to this, but it's definitely the best Scotch I've ever had.

shoshani
05-21-2008, 10:26
As for the taste, a single word - balance - sums it up. Peat...but not too much. Sherry...but not too much. Oak...but not too much. Malt...but not too much. If Goldilocks was a whisky drinker, this would be her Scotch.

Super smooth finish. Great stuff. Paul Pacult calls this "the best whisky in the world". I wouldn't go that far, because there are a number of bourbons I prefer to this, but it's definitely the best Scotch I've ever had.

Yes, indeed. I've had 18YO HP once (a gift from a friend) and while it has a little of everything...but not too much :), my experience is that it comes in waves. It's not all together. The peat hits, the honey flows, the oak and sherry traipse nimbly, but it's like an arpeggio. The notes are all there, but not being played as a chord - rather, everything is coming up and going down and intermingling.

It is, without a doubt, the most interesting Scotch I've ever had. I'm holding back trying the younger expressions for fear that they will never be the equal of this one.

BTW, regarding Paul Pacult's description, Michael Jackson said something similar. He called Highland Park "The greatest all-rounder in the world of whisky". I don't recall whether he said this about a particular expression or the entire range, but so far as Scotch whisky goes, it's pretty accurate.

JamesW
05-21-2008, 18:18
Started with GTS '07, Caol Ila 12 yr, then Talisker 13 yr Distillers Edition, and now I'll be reaching for some Lagavulin 16 to put it all to rest. Love these Island SMS's!:grin:

Megawatt
05-21-2008, 19:10
And here I am sipping on lowly Canadian Club Classic. But hey, it's only Wednesday. If I could afford to drink single malts every night of the week...well, that would really be something :).

Gillman
05-21-2008, 19:13
But it's an excellent whisky, in the Canadian style to be sure, but very good quality.

And here's another thing: regular (6 year old) Canadian Club is also a fine drink. I had some in Montreal not long ago and was surprised by its dryish rye character and smooth, full taste. I hadn't had it in some years, and was pleasantly surprised on this re-acquaintanceship.

Anyone who likes straight rye would recognise Canadian Club as one of the band of brothers.

Gary

Frodo
05-21-2008, 23:01
And here I am sipping on lowly Canadian Club Classic. But hey, it's only Wednesday. If I could afford to drink single malts every night of the week...well, that would really be something :).

I tasted a sample of this a while back and was very impressed for its price point! Quite a shock to someone (me) who doesn't like cdn whisky much...

Gillman
05-22-2008, 04:33
I might rephrase my wording to suggest that CC and the other Canadian whiskies of character are cousins with straight rye, not really brothers. There is a family connection in other words when good Canadian whisky is sampled. At a time when straight rye was consumed relatively young (perhaps much of it tasted like, say, Jim Beam rye today), it made sense to blend it with an aged spirit of a clean and largely neutral character. I mean to try this some day but if you take an aged grain whisky, say Greenore, and add 10% or so Wild Turkey rye or any other relatively young rye, it should taste close to a good Canadian whisky.

Gary

CorvallisCracker
05-22-2008, 08:55
Last night had a 1:1 vatting of a'bunadh and Red Breast 12yo. Worked really well. Resulting proof is about 100, which is "just right" for me. I'll be doing this again.

CorvallisCracker
05-22-2008, 09:09
But it's an excellent whisky, in the Canadian style to be sure, but very good quality.

And here's another thing: regular (6 year old) Canadian Club is also a fine drink. I had some in Montreal not long ago and was surprised by its dryish rye character and smooth, full taste. I hadn't had it in some years, and was pleasantly surprised on this re-acquaintanceship.

Anyone who likes straight rye would recognise Canadian Club as one of the band of brothers.

Gary

I like the 10yo - it's just as good as the 12 and costs less (currently $13.95, though going up $2 on June 1st...maybe I'll get some before that).

I also have one last bottle of the 15yo, which I don't think is sold in the USA anymore. My favorite liquor store back in FL was closing it out at $20, same price as the 12yo. The bottle was packaged in funky metal boxes with images of Canadian wildlife. I collected the full set - The Bear, The Moose, and, of course, The Beaver.

Megawatt
05-22-2008, 09:24
CC Reserve is pretty good as well, but I find the classic to have just a little more depth and a little less sweetness. Of course, it's hard to say without comparing them side-by-side. But they are both good whiskies. I like to have some Canadian whiskies on the go for a change from Scotch and bourbon. And when you live in Canada, it makes good sense to drink Canadian whisky, because you simply get more for your money.

JamesW
05-22-2008, 14:36
Just picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18 yr and cracked it open for a quick taste. This is an exceptional whiskey! Smooth as can be with a great balance of flavors... can taste some peat, smoke, and honey. I can tell this is going to be a favorite of mine in no time http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif. Anyone else love this dram?

CorvallisCracker
05-22-2008, 17:15
Just picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18 yr and cracked it open for a quick taste. This is an exceptional whiskey! Smooth as can be with a great balance of flavors... can taste some peat, smoke, and honey. I can tell this is going to be a favorite of mine in no time http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif. Anyone else love this dram?

Guess I'm on James' "Ignore List" so there's no point in telling him to go back one page in this thread...

JamesW
05-22-2008, 20:31
Last night picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18yo. Never had it before.

Poured a couple of ounces into a port glass when I got home.

Wow. Except for a hint of peat, the nose could be that of a good brandy or cognac. As for the taste, a single word - balance - sums it up. Peat...but not too much. Sherry...but not too much. Oak...but not too much. Malt...but not too much. If Goldilocks was a whisky drinker, this would be her Scotch.

I knew I'd seen a positive review somewhere before http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif, Well I'm convinced it's great whiskey! You still think it's the best scotch?

CorvallisCracker
05-22-2008, 20:53
I knew I'd seen a positive review somewhere before http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif, Well I'm convinced it's great whiskey! You still think it's the best scotch?

I don't know if it's the best Scotch, only the best I've had. I sampled maybe 20-25 single malts, so I'm not an expert.

boss302
05-22-2008, 22:45
I don't know if it's the best Scotch, only the best I've had. I sampled maybe 20-25 single malts, so I'm not an expert.

I think the "best" scotch is also sort of relative. For me, the best scotch is the one I happen to be in the mood for!

Though I will certainly take this moment to plug for Highland Park-- I went through a bottle of the 12-year all too quickly... and now it isn't even available in my state anymore. The words to describe Highland Park are "Well-Rounded"-- great for when you can't quite decide what you are in the mood for.

JamesW
05-23-2008, 06:48
I agree with both of you, of course 'best' is what suites your tastes at the moment etc... I must say the HP 18 was one of, if not, the smoothest scotch I've ever had. I've only had 2 drams thus far and will need to spend more time with it but it is a very subtle scotch for sure. There were no explosive flavors that I often enjoy in some of the other Island malts (Talisker or Lagavulin). So while I agree it is well rounded, I found myself just slightly wanting for a bit more flavor. Perhaps it's also that I have a preference for higher proof whisk(e)y's as well.

To be sure, I am mightily and absolutely impressed with this offering. I was just a bit surprised that it didn't share the heavy smoke and peat with it's other island neighbors.

CorvallisCracker
05-23-2008, 08:59
I found myself just slightly wanting for a bit more flavor. Perhaps it's also that I have a preference for higher proof whisk(e)y's as well.

For the same reasons I'm planning to try a vatting with a'bunadh, probably 3:1 HP:AA. Depending on how that goes I may also try 2:1.

I was just a bit surprised that it didn't share the heavy smoke and peat with it's other island neighbors.

I think there's only one other distillery on Orkney: Scapa, and it's been shut down since 1994.

Orkney is at the northern tip of Scotland. The other islands (Islay, Skye, etc) are in the Irish sea.

Even on Islay, which has nine distilleries, it's only Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig that go for an extreme style.

It's been said here by others, and I'll repeat: there's as much stylistic variation within a region as between them. Knowing that Old Glengargle is in Speyside or Islay is just trivia (unless you're planning a tour, of course).

JamesW
05-23-2008, 12:46
For the same reasons I'm planning to try a vatting with a'bunadh, probably 3:1 HP:AA. Depending on how that goes I may also try 2:1..

Wow, you must have read my mind. I was planning the exact same vatting myself! haha great minds.... I was thinking of a simple 1:1 and also trying it with a little Talikser 18 to see where that goes....

Let me know how turns out as I won't be able to test it out until later tonight.

drunkenjayhawk
05-23-2008, 18:23
Highland park distillery is listed as being from Orkney Islanld. Scapa has been operated on again and off again thru the years and not marketed very much. These both are according to the 5th edition of M. Jackson's book. I think Scapa could get much more popular if only the owners would actually push it.

Gov
05-23-2008, 18:55
Scapa 14 is an excellent underrated malt

JamesW
05-23-2008, 18:55
Well I was really missing my peated Islays/Island malts tonight so I started with Caol Isla 12 and then moved onto Talisker 18. I think the Talisker 18 is my favorite peated. Just an unbelievable whisk(e)y!

CorvallisCracker
05-23-2008, 19:59
Wow, you must have read my mind. I was planning the exact same vatting myself! haha great minds.... I was thinking of a simple 1:1 and also trying it with a little Talikser 18 to see where that goes....

Let me know how turns out as I won't be able to test it out until later tonight.

Well then you'll be trying it before me. I was feeling self-indulgent tonight (long week, long day) so I poured some Hirsch 16 BW.

JamesW
05-24-2008, 05:52
Well then you'll be trying it before me. I was feeling self-indulgent tonight (long week, long day) so I poured some Hirsch 16 BW.

I guess we're both gun-shy on that one. I ended up ignoring the HP in favor of my peated Island/Islays. How's your Hirsch? I have a few GF bottles bunkered. The BW is legendary.

JamesW
05-24-2008, 19:49
Tonight it was Aberlour A'Bunadh followed by some Hiighland Park 18. Great contrast here. I was really able to taste all the flavors HP had to offer, some smoke, light peat, and a little spice. Very smooth and chewy and I'm mightily impressed!

Gov
05-24-2008, 21:38
Tonight was: Aberlour 15, Jameson 12, Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Old Pulteney 12 and Teachers Highland cream.

JamesW
05-25-2008, 05:46
Tonight was: Aberlour 15, Jameson 12, Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Old Pulteney 12 and Teachers Highland cream.

Very nice Gov, sounds like a good evening http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

CorvallisCracker
05-25-2008, 11:50
I guess we're both gun-shy on that one. I ended up ignoring the HP in favor of my peated Island/Islays. How's your Hirsch? I have a few GF bottles bunkered. The BW is legendary.

Not really gun-shy, just didn't feel like doing that eve.

The Hirsch was great. It's the last of four bottles purchased at the end of 1994. It's now about 1/3 full.

Last night we had dinner over at a friend's. Took the HP 18 with me, along with '07 Stagg and a short cigar (AF Hemingway "Short Story").

Before dinner drinks were "sidecars" (Salignac cognac, Cointreau and fresh squeezed lemon juice). Dinner was plank-grilled salmon, brown & wild rice pilaf, and Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc.

After dinner the host, another guest and I went out to the deck, where I and the guest had HP and the host had some Grand Marnier. I smoked the SS and the host his pipe. The guest, a Scotch drinker, was mightily impressed by the HP.

After that was dessert: fresh-baked marionberry pie, with which I had some GTS (suitably diluted, of course).

Megawatt
05-25-2008, 13:58
I had some pretty good drinks last night as well:

The Glendronach Original 12
Gibson's Finest Rare 18
Longmorn 15
Talisker 10

Topped off with some really potent Purple Kush.

JamesW
05-25-2008, 14:06
Not really gun-shy, just didn't feel like doing that eve.

The Hirsch was great. It's the last of four bottles purchased at the end of 1994. It's now about 1/3 full.

Last night we had dinner over at a friend's. Took the HP 18 with me, along with '07 Stagg and a short cigar (AF Hemingway "Short Story").

Before dinner drinks were "sidecars" (Salignac cognac, Cointreau and fresh squeezed lemon juice). Dinner was plank-grilled salmon, brown & wild rice pilaf, and Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc.

After dinner the host, another guest and I went out to the deck, where I and the guest had HP and the host had some Grand Marnier. I smoked the SS and the host his pipe. The guest, a Scotch drinker, was mightily impressed by the HP.

After that was dessert: fresh-baked marionberry pie, with which I had some GTS (suitably diluted, of course).

Man that description made me very hungry. The HP is very remarkable indeed. However it is a subtle scotch and does not follow well after some of the more in-your-face peated Islays. Last night it followed the a'bunadh and the contrast allowed me to finally pick up the light peat and smoke that I couldn't taste the other night because it had followed in the footsteps of Talisker and Lagavulin.

drrich1965
05-26-2008, 18:23
Back in town after a trip out of the country- a bit of Glenfarclas 12, one of the best values in malt. Great balance between malt, sherry and gentle peat...

JamesW
05-27-2008, 19:36
First tasting of The Balvenie. Started with The Balvenie 12 and now The Balvenie 15 SB. These are both quite good. The 12 reminds me of the a'bunach because of the sherry wood and the 15 reminds me a bit of Highland Park 18 (but less smoke and peat) because of how smooth it is. Really quite exceptional Speysides.

Megawatt
05-28-2008, 05:02
Yeah, The Balvenie Single Barrel is surprisingly subtle, yet at the same time quite rich.

I'm finally being won over by Islay malts. Tried Laphroaig 10 last night and rather liked it. Then I tried Lagavulin 16 for the second time. The first time I really hated it, but last night, wow! One of the best I have tasted! Unbelievably full, creamy malt in the midst of all that smoke. Still the most medicinal-tasting whisky I have had, but the richness of the malt balances it out quite nicely.

JamesW
05-28-2008, 05:15
Yeah, The Balvenie Single Barrel is surprisingly subtle, yet at the same time quite rich.

I'm finally being won over by Islay malts. Tried Laphroaig 10 last night and rather liked it. Then I tried Lagavulin 16 for the second time. The first time I really hated it, but last night, wow! One of the best I have tasted! Unbelievably full, creamy malt in the midst of all that smoke. Still the most medicinal-tasting whisky I have had, but the richness of the malt balances it out quite nicely.

I agree, the Islay malts are my favorites. The Laga 16 is outstanding. You should try another Island (non-Islay) - The Talisker 18. It is a little less peaty than the Laga 16 but has a very nice spice kick to it.

Megawatt
05-28-2008, 09:17
I agree, the Islay malts are my favorites. The Laga 16 is outstanding. You should try another Island (non-Islay) - The Talisker 18. It is a little less peaty than the Laga 16 but has a very nice spice kick to it.

I have Talisker 10 and I absolutely love it, but I can't afford the 18.

Gov
05-28-2008, 18:04
Old Grand-dad BiB. Delicious!

Megawatt
05-28-2008, 18:57

It figures; now that I'm almost done my bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream, I'm finally starting to really enjoy it!

JamesW
05-28-2008, 19:00
Started with The Balvenie 21 Portwood. Very nice. The finish is long and warm. There wasn't all that much port flavor as one finds in the sherry casks. Darn good whisk(e)y though. Now I'm enjoying some Aberlour A'Bunadh #18...here you can really taste the sherry.

drrich1965
05-28-2008, 20:07
New versions of the HP12 and 18 in a head to head. MUCH prefered the 12, far less woody, much better balance. A turn around from a couple of years ago, when I much prefered the 18. This new 12 is just top notch. Perfect balance of malt, sherry, peat, and oak.

Gov
05-28-2008, 20:52
It figures; now that I'm almost done my bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream, I'm finally starting to really enjoy it!

Yes...it is a great blend! Buy another, you will be hooked!

Gov
05-28-2008, 20:53
New versions of the HP12 and 18 in a head to head. MUCH prefered the 12, far less woody, much better balance. A turn around from a couple of years ago, when I much prefered the 18. This new 12 is just top notch. Perfect balance of malt, sherry, peat, and oak.

Thats a first!! I love both, but will only buy the 12 because the 18 is over my budget

drrich1965
05-29-2008, 12:52
Thats a first!! I love both, but will only buy the 12 because the 18 is over my budget

A first for me too. I usually had the 18 far above the 12.

JamesW
05-29-2008, 13:48

I used to live up in Canada so I know a thing or two about the bloody state run liquor commissions and their unbelievably overpriced booze. Not only is the selection crap, what they do have is twice what we pay here in the States. If you lived south of the border you'd be drinking SMS's every day too!

The last time I was up visiting in N.S. I had to buy a bottle of J&B for $45 because anything up the quality chain would need financing. Here I could (but would never even think of buying) J&B for under $20 and 1.75L for $30.

I bought a 12 pack of Coronas there for $25 plus deposit Arrrgghh!. I can get a 24 pack here for $20 with deposit!!! It made me sick... next time I'm going up there with a van full of booze to survive the trip!http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Megawatt
05-29-2008, 19:35
I used to live up in Canada so I know a thing or two about the bloody state run liquor commissions and their unbelievably overpriced booze. Not only is the selection crap, what they do have is twice what we pay here in the States. If you lived south of the border you'd be drinking SMS's every day too!

The last time I was up visiting in N.S. I had to buy a bottle of J&B for $45 because anything up the quality chain would need financing. Here I could (but would never even think of buying) J&B for under $20 and 1.75L for $30.

I bought a 12 pack of Coronas there for $25 plus deposit Arrrgghh!. I can get a 24 pack here for $20 with deposit!!! It made me sick... next time I'm going up there with a van full of booze to survive the trip!http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Well, I'm glad someone here knows where I'm coming from. Every time I read about someone in the US complaining about prices, I want to say some nasty things. If I want Lagavulin 16, it will cost me $99, for instance.

JamesW
05-29-2008, 20:12
Tonight I started with Highland Park 18 and then enjoyed a nice smoky dram of Lagavulin 16. Life is good.

Megawatt, I can get Lagavulin here for under $60 on a bad day. My current bottle was had on sale for under $50. Is free health care really worth it http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif? Just kidding ya. But honestly, when I first moved down to the States I couldn't believe how affordable everything was (except housing). No GST, PST, 60% income tax, and cheap booze! Live Free or Die Baby! (the first state I lived in was New Hampshire and I loved their tag line on their plates http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif)

boss302
05-29-2008, 21:37
I just purchased a bottle of Balvenie SherryOak 17-year. This is a limited edition bottling of 17-year Balvenie matured exclusively in Oloroso Sherry Butts.

It's good. REALLY good.

This one had a pleasant balance of fruit and spice-- Heather Honey in the nose, followed by notes of dried figs or dates, with a warm spiciness, like Cinnamon and Nutmeg.

I firmly believe Balvenie represents, easily, some of the best of what Speyside has to offer.

JamesW
05-30-2008, 18:26
I just purchased a bottle of Balvenie SherryOak 17-year. This is a limited edition bottling of 17-year Balvenie matured exclusively in Oloroso Sherry Butts.

It's good. REALLY good.

This one had a pleasant balance of fruit and spice-- Heather Honey in the nose, followed by notes of dried figs or dates, with a warm spiciness, like Cinnamon and Nutmeg.

I firmly believe Balvenie represents, easily, some of the best of what Speyside has to offer.

Sounds delicious. I haven't seen that around but I'll pay more attention to it from now on.

boss302
05-30-2008, 18:51
Sounds delicious. I haven't seen that around but I'll pay more attention to it from now on.

I paid about $90 for the bottle. But I decided it was a worthwhile investment, as it is a limited edition bottling. Mine is a late-2007 bottling. I think they will continue bottling this one through at least the end of the year... *crosses fingers*...

...hopefully...

JamesW
05-31-2008, 18:49
Slumming tonight with Glenfiddich 12 yr special reserve. Not too bad for a cheap SMS. A little astringent flavor in the finish but I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Gov
05-31-2008, 19:53
Slumming tonight with Glenfiddich 12 yr special reserve. Not too bad for a cheap SMS. A little astringent flavor in the finish but I'd give it a 7.5/10.

does this taste any different from the old bottling (did not say special reserve)

AVB
05-31-2008, 20:57
A bit of The Dalmore 21 which I reviewed almost 4 years ago here (http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9909)

JamesW
05-31-2008, 21:06
does this taste any different from the old bottling (did not say special reserve)

I'd say it's a little smoother from what I remember. In fact I was expecting worse. I hadn't had a taste in long while though. I finished the night with a nice old dram of Laga 16 so everything is alright now http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

HipFlask
05-31-2008, 22:08
Yesterday I had some Glenrothes Vintage 1991. Love those Speysides.

JamesW
06-01-2008, 19:31
Caol Ila 12 yr and then Talisker 13yr Distillers Edition. Now moving on to bourbon with WLW Centennial 13yr (Julio's edition)

Gov
06-03-2008, 21:10
A'Bunadh #21. Each time I have this whisky, I am reminded how really good it is!

Megawatt
06-04-2008, 04:48
I did a side-by-side comparison of Glenfiddich 12 and 18 last night. The 12 was fruitier, with sweet apple flavours, while the 18 had a woody, spicy taste and aroma. This weekend I will get into my new bottle of Solera Reserve. Judging from the nose, it will be quite complex and layered, with some good bourbon notes from the new oak...

JamesW
06-04-2008, 18:58
Aberlour A'Bunadh #18. Very nice. Bottle going too fast http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

mgilbertva
06-04-2008, 19:25
Macallan 18yr Fine Oak finish. Some iodine, grass, then lots of vanilla. Not as good as the regular expression (sherry finished), IMO, nor worth the high price.

JamesW
06-05-2008, 17:47
Very much enjoying a neat pour of Highland Park 18. Marvelous flavors, nice long finish, and so smooth its incredible. Every time I reach for this I pick up different flavors. Tonight I can't taste any of the smoke or peat that I did last time... odd that it comes and goes. The last time I had it after some Balvenie 21 Portwood and immediately tasted the contrast of smoke and peat in the dram... tonight I can't find it... I guess it's so subtle that you really need to have a contrast to pick it up.

boss302
06-06-2008, 00:57
It isn't exactly a Wee Dram, in the proper sense, but tonight I purchased a bottle of Bushmills 10 year Single Malt-- a steal at 13 bucks off (barely more than the regular Bushmills now...)

A very nice dram, much in the manner of the Glenmorangie Wood Finish series. The American Oak is definitely dominant-- I picked it up at first whiff. The Spanish Oak is there... but you really have to look for it. With a small sip, you can pick up a note of cream sherry with a walnut-like dryness, both of which are tasting notes I have found in other spirits matured in Spanish Oak, such as the MacAllan, the Dalmore, and the Balvenie Sherry Wood.

While previous versions of this single malt were more heavily-sherried, it is worth mentioning that the Bushmills website does mention that the maturation is now mainly American Oak. Quite frankly, I'm fine with that. If I want a fruitier whiskey, there's always the 16-year Triple Wood, which is matured in American, Spanish, and Portugese Oak. To be honest, the difference between Spanish and Portugese casks is negligible at best.

If anything, to round out their lineup, I think Bushmills NEEDED a single malt that displayed the character of American Oak. IMHO, though Jim Murray isn't thrilled with it, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy it.

Gillman
06-06-2008, 01:16
I had some Bushmills recently, a 16 year version (seemingly American oak or mostly) bottled for the LCBO in Canada.

It had the waxy flourish so typical of many Irish whiskeys, yet is an all-barley malt product whereas the Jameson pot still whiskey and that type from Irish Distillers is pure pot still (using some unmalted barley).

I wonder what accounts for this similarity?

One would think it might be the lack of peat in Bushmills yet Scots whiskies I've had, even Lowlands, don't really have this waxy-like note. I wonder if it is a characteristic of Irish malting barleys.

Gary

boss302
06-06-2008, 02:16
I had some Bushmills recently, a 16 year version (seemingly American oak or mostly) bottled for the LCBO in Canada.

It had the waxy flourish so typical of many Irish whiskeys, yet is an all-barley malt product whereas the Jameson pot still whiskey and that type from Irish Distillers is pure pot still (using some unmalted barley).

I wonder what accounts for this similarity?

One would think it might be the lack of peat in Bushmills yet Scots whiskies I've had, even Lowlands, don't really have this waxy-like note. I wonder if it is a characteristic of Irish malting barleys.

Gary

I think it has something to do with the water and the type of still.

Clynelish, from the Eastern Scottish Highlands, definitely has a rather pronounced waxiness to it. But that is from a build-up of non-toxic sludge that pot stills accumulate throughout the distilling season. Most distillers clean this sludge out of their stills. Clynelish does not.

I don't know if there exists a similarity here, but it is possible.

Gillman
06-06-2008, 05:09
I'll have to check out Clynelish, thanks.

Gary

JamesW
06-06-2008, 18:45
Balvenie Double Wood 12. I really like this onehttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif. Very nicely priced as well at $40.

Gillman
06-06-2008, 20:12
I agree. Very nice neat or to pick up any blended scotch (its relatively mild, full taste, neither peaty nor sherried, is perfect for this).

Gary

JamesW
06-07-2008, 06:50
I agree. Very nice neat or to pick up any blended scotch (its relatively mild, full taste, neither peaty nor sherried, is perfect for this).

Gary

I taste the sherry notes in there but they are not nearly as overwhelming as in the a'bunadh. I love the a'bunadh but sometimes I have to kind of search a bit for some of the other flavors in there.

ILLfarmboy
06-07-2008, 14:24
Dalmore 12. I'm feeling a bit scotchy late this afternoon as I'm waiting the wife to come back from the graduation of one of her coworker's son.

Megawatt
06-07-2008, 18:31
I've heard good things about Dalmore, but it seems I can't get it around these parts...

I opened my bottle of Glenfiddich 15 last night. Wonderful whisky! Has about everything I look for in a Speyside. It starts off with silken honey and delicate, fruity sherry, not dominant as in The Balvenie, for instance. Then there is considerable boubon notes, plus a grassy, zesty licorice or root beer flavour, followed by some good spice and a slightly bitter, oaky finish. Very nicely layered and well-balanced.

JamesW
06-07-2008, 21:01
Started with The Balvenie 15 yr. I like it very much but I might give the edge to the 12 yr tonight. Now I'm on to a vatting of 1/3 Caol Ila 12 and 2/3 Lagavulin 16 (needed to kill the Caol Ila 12 and it was too wee a dram otherwise). The Lagavulin really overpowers and I can't tell any difference here with Caol Ila added... they're both real peaty so I didn't really expect to taste any difference either.

JamesW
06-08-2008, 18:51
Tonight I started with Talisker 18 and now enjoying a solid pour of Highland Park 18.... life is good with these two scotches.

JamesW
06-09-2008, 18:19
Just picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 ($43). Love the HP18 and I'd heard great things of this one (won double gold at the SF World Spirits competition). I love it too. A little raspier than it's older brother but still smooth as hell. Very flavorful too. So glad I got it as now maybe I won't kill my 18 as quickly.

After the HP12 I'm on to another year old - The Balvenie Doublewood 12yr. Also terrific as usual. Picked a bottle of this up today for $50 as well to replace one I killed. I could have paid $10 less if I'd taken a ride out to another store but the 1.5 hrs round trip hardly seemed worth it given the heat and the price of gas these days. Might be cheaper soon to put HP in the tank !

Gov
06-09-2008, 23:21
A night cap of the Ardbeg 10. This is some good chit!!

Megawatt
06-10-2008, 05:00
Damn, I want to try Ardbeg but they just stopped selling it in my province. I'm still surprised that I got into the Islays so quickly after really being turned off of them at first.

Gov
06-10-2008, 18:43
Scapa 14, bottle is almost gone now!

Megawatt
06-11-2008, 04:54

That's on my hit list as well. How do you like it?

Gov
06-11-2008, 19:49
That's on my hit list as well. How do you like it?

It is quite good for the money. I get lots of pear with it and a bit of heather, but not as much as HP. Bourbon wood as well. Get it, you will not be disappointed!

AVB
06-11-2008, 19:52
I did a review of the Scapa 12 here (http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13969) and I mentioned the 14 in it. Just haven't gotten around to reviewing it yet.

Gov
06-12-2008, 21:16
Lagavulin 16. My absolute favorite scotch whisky!

JamesW
06-13-2008, 19:29
I love that Laga 16 myself Gov.
Tonight I started with Balvenie Double Wood 12 yr and now I'm really enjoying some Highland Park 12. Damn these are goooooood!

Powertrip
06-14-2008, 10:18

Oh I love my Scapa 14!
I find it to be one of the most gentle, smooth and soothing drams around. Its just so light and creamy.

Powertrip

RWBadley
06-16-2008, 21:29
Tonight I'm contemplating a Carsebridge 1963 43yo Scottish single grain. 43% and soo smoooth it hurts. Nose of wood vanilla, and rum. Flavor- smooth sweet brown sugar vanilla with hints of nutmeg and cinnamon. Medium finish with lingering sugar and vanilla. Not extremely complex, but it sure goes down quicker than a hot tart. yum

Interesting dram then. I find it hard to keep in the glass, as it keeps dissapearing. I think there's a hole in me glass. Wait... OK I found the problem.

It's very smooth drinking. Lovely stuff.

boss302
06-16-2008, 23:39
Glenfiddich 18-year. Definitely some Spanish Oak in there. The "spiced apple" tasting note provided on the bottle is surprisingly-accurate. More oak than the 12-year, for sure.

Having said that, I found a little bit of edginess in this one that bears a resemblance to the 12-year. The bottle of the 15-year Solera Reserve, surprisingly, rounded it off somehow. My favorite is, thus far, the 15-year.

But, for only $67 in PA, this 18-year Single Malt is certainly nothing to scoff at!

boss302
06-19-2008, 01:12
At $44 in a PA State Store, this is certainly one of the more expensive 12-year Speysides on the shelf. But Cragganmore is certainly worth it. It is nearly as smooth and rounded as The Balvenie, and also possesses some of the complex, floral aromas of Glenmorangie.

As The Balvenie and Glenmorangie are two of my favorite Highland/Speyside malts, I have to say I thoroughly-enjoyed this dram of Cragganmore 12-year.

Now, if only DiaGeo will release a single malt bottling of Linkwood...

AVB
06-19-2008, 04:03
Now, if only DiaGeo will release a single malt bottling of Linkwood...

Ahhh, but they have. Just not in the US. This one is from the Flora & Fauna series.

http://www.sunband-designs.com/AVB/Drinks/Scotch/Linkwood%2012.JPG

There are plent of independent versions around though from Signatory, G&M, Adelphi, Mission etc etc.

drrich1965
06-20-2008, 21:44
Ardbeg 10, the 2006 edition. Just one of the most wonderful malts- balanced sweet malt and a wack of peat...Thank god I have three of this same year stored away..

JamesW
06-26-2008, 19:32
Balvenie 12 Double Wood and now a not so wee dram of Highland Park 12.

Gov
06-26-2008, 20:51
The Balvenie Founder's Reserve. Lots of Honey! Just wonderful!

TroyM
06-26-2008, 23:28
Bruichladdich Infinity 1st Edition.
Laphroaig Cask Strength.
Port Charlotte PC5.

boss302
06-27-2008, 18:07
The Balvenie Founder's Reserve. Lots of Honey! Just wonderful!

Balvenie 17-year Sherry Wood-- again.

This is supposed to be my "special occassion" pour, but I just can't keep myself away from it!!!!!

Megawatt
06-27-2008, 20:08
I opened my bottle of William Grant's Sherry Cask Reserve tonight. Pretty nice for a young blend. The Oloroso sherry finish definitely adds richness and complexity to the blend. Not quite as good as The Famouse Grouse, but it's close...

texascarl
06-27-2008, 20:17
I'm enjoying some JWBlack, but might go mix some sherry with some regular Grant's Family Reserve to see if I like the change. Thanks for the idea!

voigtman
06-29-2008, 16:39
The Glenlivet Nadurra 16 YO at 57.2% ABV (114.4 proof). Bottled 06/06, and batch number 0606A, $56/bottle. This is my last older Nadurra bottling: the newest release is at somewhat lower proof, sad to say, but still excellent. Also, this is my favorite Glenlivet except for the outrageously good Glenlivet 21, which is now too steep for me at $132/bottle. A definite honey taste, like some Balvenies. Just great! Cheers, Ed

drrich1965
06-30-2008, 16:32
The Glenlivet Nadurra 16 YO at 57.2% ABV (114.4 proof). Bottled 06/06, and batch number 0606A, $56/bottle. This is my last older Nadurra bottling: the newest release is at somewhat lower proof, sad to say, but still excellent. Also, this is my favorite Glenlivet except for the outrageously good Glenlivet 21, which is now too steep for me at $132/bottle. A definite honey taste, like some Balvenies. Just great! Cheers, Ed

The Nadurra is a great pour- I actaully enjy it a great deal more than the GL 21, which I have a bottle open of now. To me, the 21 loses a bit too much of its character from the sherry- but it is very nice.

Megawatt
06-30-2008, 18:35
Too bad the Nadurra isn't available in Ontario, as I'd like to try it...

Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve; one of my favorite Speyside drams. Such beautiful structure and balance to the flavour.

JamesW
07-02-2008, 19:06
Aberlour A'Bunadh #18 and then Highland Park 12 yr. Now on to Julio's Weller Centennial 13 yr bourbon... great stuff.

LeoDLion
07-03-2008, 05:01
I am a serial drinker meaning I only have one or two open bottles at a given time. But my sons visited and we opened several bottles like Talisker 18, Aberlour A'bunadh #21, Ardbeg 10, Arran 18, Clynelish 18, Benriach Curiositas. Last night I had Aberlour which is becoming a favorite. I also like he Benriarch Curiositas very much. This version is quite peaty unlike the other releases which I dont prefer much.

Luna56
07-03-2008, 19:23
Laphroaig 10 here tonight. I've always heard that the 10 is a bit rough around the edges and a bit brash, but I like its character a great deal. It's sweeter than I expected.

My mother-in-law's husband was here tonight and popped a fresh mint leaf into his dram, so, of course, I had to try it too. Not bad! Next pour will be three fingers neat, however. :grin:

Cheers!

drrich1965
07-03-2008, 20:43
Tasting all four of the new Glenmorangie line (Lasanta, Origional, Quinta Ruban, and Nectar de Or). The Nectar is Sauternes finished, and to me, the far best of the lot, and the best of ten GLenmorangie's I have tried. Great nose, rich, fat, malty, fruit-balance. The mouth is totally congruent with the nose, and wonderfully mouth coating. A great malt. The Origional 10 is very disapointing, must less spicy and more fruity then the old ten, and a bit dull. A much different profile, and not to my liking.

barturtle
07-05-2008, 19:09
Old Malt Cask Glenburgie 12yo.

Megawatt
07-06-2008, 08:30
Tried some Glen Breton Rare Canadian single malt last night. Pretty nice stuff, though not worth the $90 they want for a bottle at the LCBO.

JamesW
07-07-2008, 17:45
Tried some Glen Breton Rare Canadian single malt last night. Pretty nice stuff, though not worth the $90 they want for a bottle at the LCBO.

Hehe... I guess alll that talk of Glenora Distillery made you thirsty for it http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif. I'm really curious now myself.... although not $90 curious.

Tonight I'm enjoying a wee pour of The Balvenie 12 yr doublewood. It's such a fine pour and a bargain at $40.

JamesW
07-07-2008, 19:57
Moved on to some Highland Park 12 yr. Pretty darn good. Nice spicy kick in the finish.

bigtoys
07-08-2008, 18:35
My favorites these days are various single malts from Highland Park, Bowmore, Lagavulin, Talisker and Balvenie.

JamesW
07-08-2008, 19:34
Reached for top shelf tonight. Started with Highland Park 18 which was spectacular and then Talisker 18. Every time I return to these drams I am blown away. Tonight was no exception. Cheers!

TroyM
07-09-2008, 16:14
Bruichladdich Infinity 1st Edition. Just love this stuff

ACDetroit
07-09-2008, 19:42
I know it's a blended but my Dentist invited me by for some JW Blue label tonight. 2 really nice pours and I really could not believe how strooth this bottle was. Very nice,

Tony

Gov
07-09-2008, 21:26
Glenfiddich 12 (new bottling). Big time fruit salad on the nose and palette. This is much better than I was expecting.

AVB
07-10-2008, 04:27
I have to agree. From a review I did a few years ago:
"This is a thinking man's scotch. There is so much going on that to pick out all the flavors and accents can take an hour for just a shot. On the other hand, the blenders art is so refined that if you don't care to think you still have a very smooth enjoyable drink that is noticeably better then almost any other blend."

I know it's a blended but my Dentist invited me by for some JW Blue label tonight. 2 really nice pours and I really could not believe how strooth this bottle was. Very nice,

Tony

JamesW
07-11-2008, 06:56
My favorites these days are various single malts from Highland Park, Bowmore, Lagavulin, Talisker and Balvenie.

Although I haven't had any Bowmore, the HP 12 & 18, Lagavulin 16, Balvenie 12, 15, 21, and Talisker 10 and 18 all grace my bar and are truly spectacular. The only one you're missing of mine is the Aberlour A'Bunadh for that once-in-a-while sweet sherry treat.

boss302
07-11-2008, 11:19
I have to agree. From a review I did a few years ago:
"This is a thinking man's scotch. There is so much going on that to pick out all the flavors and accents can take an hour for just a shot. On the other hand, the blenders art is so refined that if you don't care to think you still have a very smooth enjoyable drink that is noticeably better then almost any other blend."

If you think that's good, you should try Chivas Regal Royal Salute (21-year, all malt). Heckuva lot cheaper, too.

Merlin_AZ
07-11-2008, 13:58
Reached for top shelf tonight. Started with Highland Park 18 which was spectacular.
HP 18 is never a disappointment, I totally agree.

Jono
07-12-2008, 21:09
A cool evening made me reach for a Scotch......Cragganmore 12..a nice medium body dram.

http://www.whisky.com/brands/cragganmore_brand.html

AVB
07-12-2008, 22:17
Here (http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28905) is my review of that from 12/06. I prefer the Blue if given the choice but the Chivas is a fine dram too.

If you think that's good, you should try Chivas Regal Royal Salute (21-year, all malt). Heckuva lot cheaper, too.

spun_cookie
07-12-2008, 22:57
Nice night of Scotch... Small tastes of Three Taliskers (74, 93, 20yr cask strength), Delwinie 15yr, Edradour 10yr, and one other... forget the name.

Not a big Scotch fan but the Talsiker 20yr cask rocked

JamesW
07-13-2008, 06:09
Nice night of Scotch... Small tastes of Three Taliskers (74, 93, 20yr cask strength), Delwinie 15yr, Edradour 10yr, and one other... forget the name.

Not a big Scotch fan but the Talsiker 20yr cask rocked

I'm jealous on the Taliskers my friend. I haven't had a cask strength Talisker before but I love the 10 and 18. Sounds like a great scotch night!

JamesW
07-13-2008, 19:59
Tonight I had some Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood and then some Julio's Weller

LeoDLion
07-14-2008, 07:19
I am going on a diet for a month so I am forgoing scotch for a while. So last night I finish all of the open bottles I have. No worry, all of them are down to a couple of fingers. I finished off:

Talisker 18
Arran 12
Clynelish 18

However, I have a previous committment to go on a trip this weekend so just for the trip I bought a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadth batch # 18.

drrich1965
07-14-2008, 10:45
A couple of days again, had the privledge of this one..

Score 88 Glenlivet 22 1973 (56%, Signatory Vintage)July 10, 2008. My first dram at RX McRoy, in Seattle. Nose: Malty, peaty, classic. Rich, earthy and musty. Mouth: The whole thing, all the elements are congruent form nose to mouth. Lovely.

smokinjoe
07-14-2008, 11:20
I am going on a diet for a month so I am forgoing scotch for a while. So last night I finish all of the open bottles I have. No worry, all of them are down to a couple of fingers. I finished off:

Talisker 18
Arran 12
Clynelish 18

However, I have a previous committment to go on a trip this weekend so just for the trip I bought a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadth batch # 18.

Good luck on your diet. Because you didn't mention it, at least it sounds like you're not foregoing the bourbon!

JOE

LeoDLion
07-14-2008, 13:59
Good luck on your diet. Because you didn't mention it, at least it sounds like you're not foregoing the bourbon!

JOE
Lol, I wish I can. I am not a bourbon drinker yet but I have a 5-liter oak barrel with bourbon in it. Its been there for 1.5 months and perhaps after the diet I can start sampling it.

JamesW
07-17-2008, 20:05
Tonight I enjoyed a serious pour of Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr. Then I shifted to bourbon, VSOF and ORVW 10/107

drrich1965
07-18-2008, 17:53
Signatory 9yo Peaty Bunnahavain, from Binnys. An intense, buttery dram, with tons of peat and a good deal of character....

jpact
07-20-2008, 16:16
BenRiach Origine Islay Malt 10 Years.

It's peaty and briny, like an Islay malt should, but on the lighter side. I don't get smoke like in an Ardbeg or a Lagavulin. I think this would make a good introductory Islay whisky. The finish lingers surprisingly, considering that the flavor profile is light and straightforward.

I think I got this a couple years back out of a close-out bin for under $20, so I can't complain.

I don't think BenRiach is an Islay distillery, so to be honest I don't know if this is really an Islay, or merely in the style of Islay.

ILLfarmboy
07-21-2008, 05:30
Right now I'm nosing the glass from last night. Dalmore 12. My taste in scotch is limited and boring compared to a lot of you guys. Pedestrian, might be a good word. Anyhow, it hit me this morning, Brach's camels... not the cubes of plain carmel but the tootsie-roll shaped flavored ones. and not any particular flavor either, but taken as a whole, the way the bag or my Mom's candy dish smelled when I was a child.............That's what I was tasting in the Dalmore last night.....well, the nose realy, not so much the taste.......

birdman1099
07-21-2008, 07:22
New to the Foreign Whiskey world, but had a few last night.

Ardbeg 10 - Big !!! Smokey !! (it will take a while for me to "get" this one.
Glenlivet Nadurra - I Like !!!!
Jameson 18 - Very smooth.

I see a whole new world opening up to me !!!:lol:

JamesW
07-21-2008, 07:55
New to the Foreign Whiskey world, but had a few last night.

Glenlivet Nadurra - I Like !!!!
Jameson 18 - Very smooth.

I see a whole new world opening up to me !!!:lol:

Welcome to the Old World Birdman http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif . I suggest trying Balvenie 12 yr doublewood and the Aberlour A'bunadh for that sherry or bourbon cask experience. If you like the smoke and peat (which I do) go for a Highland Park 18 or 12, Talisker 10 or 18 or the Lagavulin 16 (if you're brave).

JamesW
07-21-2008, 18:08
Birdman, you got me thinking Scotch now so I had to have a wee dram or three.... Starting the night off with Highland Park 12. I think I'll probably move on to Talisker 18 after that and then some Lagavulin 16 to finish 'er off. The future's so bright....

jpact
07-21-2008, 18:49

I've been drinking Islay for years (Laphroig, Lagavulin), but just recently picked this up after reading Murray's Whisky Bible. Man, the Ardbeg absolutely blew me away. I don't think I could describe something like overall balance, but I know it when I see it (or taste it.) The flavor profile builds at a nice steady pace in the mouth, and then the finish resonates and lingers and slowly rides off into the sunset. I usually think the critics are full of it, but this is one critical recommendation that was spot on for me.

JamesW
07-21-2008, 20:00
I've been drinking Islay for years (Laphroig, Lagavulin), but just recently picked this up after reading Murray's Whisky Bible. Man, the Ardbeg absolutely blew me away. I don't think I could describe something like overall balance, but I know it when I see it (or taste it.) The flavor profile builds at a nice steady pace in the mouth, and then the finish resonates and lingers and slowly rides off into the sunset. I usually think the critics are full of it, but this is one critical recommendation that was spot on for me.

Man, that's quite a recommendation. I might have to get me some http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Gov
07-22-2008, 11:26
Man, that's quite a recommendation. I might have to get me some http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Yeah, what are you waiting for!!! The stuff is almost as good as Laga 16!!

JamesW
07-22-2008, 21:06
Tonight I had Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr and now a solid pour of Aberlour A'bunadh #18. I drink it neat and I must say that it is really smooth for ~120 proof.

Gov
07-23-2008, 17:31
Old Pulteney 12. This is an absolute favorite of mine!

JamesW
07-23-2008, 19:06
Old Pulteney 12. This is an absolute favorite of mine!

I've heard good things.... salty is it (like seaweed)?

Gov
07-23-2008, 21:17
I've heard good things.... salty is it (like seaweed)?

It is a bit salty, sweet, lots of sea air, maritime malt. Very complex and an extreme bargain

JamesW
07-24-2008, 07:14
It is a bit salty, sweet, lots of sea air, maritime malt. Very complex and an extreme bargain

I've really wanted to try this one. Unfortunately I've only found a 17 yr old @ $92 and a 21 year old @ $105 :bigeyes: yikes!

Gov
07-24-2008, 18:51
The best of the Walker family. Mr. Green! He definately wears the pants in that family!

JamesW
07-25-2008, 17:59
Went hunting today and found Ardberg 10 yr old for $52 and the old Pulteney 12 yr for $41. I think I'll get the Old Pulteney but that Ardberg is a little pricey for a 10 yr old Islay. (When I can get Laga 16 for $59)

What do you think?

(btw- I've been saving my pennies to get a Balvenie 17 yr Sherrywood for $85 so I'm not sure I wanna blow a lot on an unknown for me)

Gov
07-25-2008, 22:10
Went hunting today and found Ardberg 10 yr old for $52 and the old Pulteney 12 yr for $41. I think I'll get the Old Pulteney but that Ardberg is a little pricey for a 10 yr old Islay. (When I can get Laga 16 for $59)

What do you think?

(btw- I've been saving my pennies to get a Balvenie 17 yr Sherrywood for $85 so I'm not sure I wanna blow a lot on an unknown for me)

I like Laga 16 a bit better than Ardbeg 10. Ardbeg 10 is probably the best 10 year old whisky I have ever tasted. That said, get the Balvenie 17 you have been saving for. If funds allow in the future, pick up the Ardbeg it is well worth $52!

boss302
07-26-2008, 00:15

You want to buy the Balvenie 17yr Sherry Wood.

It doesn't have much in the way of smoke, but it is a truly exquisite example of a Sherry-finished Speyside. IMHO, the MacAllan 18-year can't beat this, despite being $40 more.

Even in the infinitely-tiny possibility that you won't like it, you could let it sit for a few years and sell it off at a profit-- that particular expression of the Balvenie is only being released for this year.

drrich1965
07-26-2008, 02:53
The Ardbeg 10 is from the old ownder's stock. The distillery was shut down for a number of years. Most current stocks of tens are vattings of whisky that is a far amount older. Some of us think it will go down as one of the all time classic Islay expressions. Is it better or worse than Laga 16- neither to me, they are different. If you have not spent some time with a full bottle of Ardy 10, I would highly reccomend. There is a good deal of batch variation, with some having a bit more of a malty sweetness, some being a tad more sherried, some being more straight up in your face peat without a sweet foil, but all are wondeful. I am beggining to bunker, as that will be gone and replaced by the new ten over time..

JamesW
07-26-2008, 20:28
Started with The Balvenie Portwood 21 yr, then had Talisker 18 and now enjoying Highland Park 18. What a great Scotch night.

Megawatt
07-27-2008, 08:29
The Arran Malt Single Cask in Napoleon cognac finish, in my new Glencairn glass. Unbelievable! An explosion of flavour and aroma in each sip!

Gillman
07-27-2008, 16:13
My own blend of malt whiskies (Scots and Irish). Most of these are from single malts (Glenilvet, Glenffidich, Aberlour, HP 18, Islays, etc.) but there is some blended whisky as well to add a small amount of grain the to the final composition (perhaps 10% or less).

This version has a deep medium malt sweetness, good vanilla character (what may be saying the same thing) and a firm undertone of peat and saltwater spray from the Caol Ila, Laphroigs and other Islays in there. It drinks with a rich softness and has a very long finish.

It is somewhat like Johnnie Walker Gold Label.

Gary

jpact
07-27-2008, 18:32
The best of the Walker family. Mr. Green! He definately wears the pants in that family!

Huge fan of the Green. Living proof that the single-malts got nothin' on the blends.

Back in the day I championed the Red. I'd load up a highball with ice, drop in a few olives and cover with Red. I'd sip until it hit that perfect blend of whisky and water (and olive brine) for me, and then gobble it down as if it was a sno-cone. Good times.

But yeah, Green rocks.

AVB
07-27-2008, 18:39
Green is not a blend, it is a vatted malt.

jpact
07-28-2008, 05:46

Thanks for the correction. I just spent a couple minutes reading through a bunch of whisky entries on Wikipedia, and I understand the difference now. With distinct categories like "Blended Malt Scotch" and "Scottish Blends" you really have to be a stickler for detail.

:toast:

Megawatt
07-28-2008, 10:05
Tried Bowmore 12 for the first time yesterday. Not a big fan, to be honest.

I'm into my firts bottle of Scapa 14. Excellent stuff!

Gov
07-28-2008, 10:23

And a DAMN good one at that!!! I'll take it neat, always! :grin:

JamesW
07-28-2008, 16:52
I'm having my first go at the Old Pulteney 12 yr old. Man this is good stuff. It's the first time I've had a briney (is that a word?) malt and while I was a bit skeptical before, I must say it works well. A bargain of a dram if you ask me.

Gov
07-28-2008, 18:19
I'm having my first go at the Old Pulteney 12 yr old. Man this is good stuff. It's the first time I've had a briney (is that a word?) malt and while I was a bit skeptical before, I must say it works well. A bargain of a dram if you ask me.

That whisky has magical powers that cannot be explained. Indeed an awesome beverage to say the least!

JamesW
07-28-2008, 20:25
That whisky has magical powers that cannot be explained. Indeed an awesome beverage to say the least!
Yes, I had some Balvenie 12 yr after the Old Putney and found the contrast a bit sweet. I'm back drinking the Old Pulteney nowhttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif my new favorite. Makes me wonder how the 17 yr and 21 yr old tasteshttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Gov
07-28-2008, 23:38
Yes, I had some Balvenie 12 yr after the Old Putney and found the contrast a bit sweet. I'm back drinking the Old Pulteney nowhttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif my new favorite. Makes me wonder how the 17 yr and 21 yr old tasteshttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

I have had the 21 year. Its very good, but the 12 is just as good. And its a way better value!

JamesW
07-29-2008, 13:23
I have had the 21 year. Its very good, but the 12 is just as good. And its a way better value!

Thanks for the note. I won't be dreaming about it then at >$100.

I had quite a bit of the 12 last night and it has a very unique salty brine flavor for sure. To close out the night I went for another 12yr... the Highland Park. The contrast was fantastic this time (recall I had Balvenie 12 after the OP and it was waaay too sweet). While the OP was light, salty and delicate, the HP was a mouthful of flavorful peat, smoke and spice - a very nice contrast. I might work that order in again tonight http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

JamesW
07-29-2008, 18:23
Sticking with Scotch tonight. Started with HP 18, Talisker 18, and now some Old Pulteney 12 yr.

Gov
07-29-2008, 21:20
A'Bunadh batch 21.....YUM!!!!!

JamesW
07-30-2008, 20:45
Balvenie 12 yr and now 3 straight pours of Old Pulteney 12 yr. I LOVE THIS WHISKY!

Gov
07-31-2008, 19:08
A newer bottling of HP 12. STUNNING!!!!!!! This is the BOMB!

JamesW
07-31-2008, 21:16
A newer bottling of HP 12. STUNNING!!!!!!! This is the BOMB!

I agree. Almost killed my bottle the other night. What an impressive scotch!

JamesW
08-03-2008, 11:03
On a business trip out in Anaheim and I brought a 3 x 200ml sampler of Talisker with me. Last night I had a dram of the Distillers Edition.

Megawatt
08-06-2008, 18:48
On a business trip out in Anaheim and I brought a 3 x 200ml sampler of Talisker with me. Last night I had a dram of the Distillers Edition.

So how was it?

I'm enjoying Alberta Springs 10-year-old Canadian rye whisky at the moment. Beautifully smooth, sweet and peppery. Light aroma and short finish, but the middle is superb.

Gov
08-06-2008, 19:05
The Balvenie FR. Nice honey sweetness. Gets me in the mood for some more HP 12!

JamesW
08-06-2008, 21:22
So how was it?

I'm enjoying Alberta Springs 10-year-old Canadian rye whisky at the moment. Beautifully smooth, sweet and peppery. Light aroma and short finish, but the middle is superb.

It's good but I think the 10 and 18 are far better. The Talisker doesn't need sherry influence. I like the smoke and spice the way it is. But still good!

Having some Old Pulteney 12 tonight.

Gov
08-06-2008, 21:24
Had some HP 12 then some Laga 16! The three (FR, HP 12 and Laga 16) were awesome!

chperry
08-09-2008, 13:45
I am attending a Signatory tasting later tonight and am really looking forward to it. I tried several nice pours 2 weeks ago while in Edinburgh. The selection was amazing of course, but the cost was frightening. Prices in Tennessee are not bad at all compared to the UK.

Lately I have been keeping Glen Garioch 8 year and Glen Moray 12 on hand. Both nice, imo, and reasonably priced.

Charles

JamesW
08-10-2008, 17:07
I'm here in Cape Breton and I had a chance to visit Glenora Distillery and sample some Glen Breton Rare. Not bad but not worth plunking down $80 for a bottle I should say. I've been enjoying a lot of scotch on the trip. Last night I had some Old Pulteney 12 and Glenfiddich 12 Special Reserve. Tonight is the same but I may break out the 200ml of Aberlour Abunadh I brought along!

JamesW
08-11-2008, 18:39
Still in Cape Breton. Enjoying some HP12 and Old Pulteney tonight.

TBoner
08-11-2008, 20:11
Glenfiddich 15. Much more complex than the 12 and can be had for $36 at a local store. A great single malt value.

Regards,

Frodo
08-11-2008, 23:26
Still in Cape Breton. Enjoying some HP12 and Old Pulteney tonight.

Hi James. I hear that The Edrington Group is currently using Nova Scotia as a test ground to try a couple of Famous Grouse bottlings including one (The Snow Grouse) that is grain whisky only. A chance to taste something not widely available elsewhere?

JamesW
08-12-2008, 09:33
Hi James. I hear that The Edrington Group is currently using Nova Scotia as a test ground to try a couple of Famous Grouse bottlings including one (The Snow Grouse) that is grain whisky only. A chance to taste something not widely available elsewhere?

Sounds interesting. Any idea where? I'd definitely have a go and let everyone know how it went :grin:

JamesW
08-12-2008, 18:48
HP 12, Aberlour A'Bunadh #18, Jameson 12, Old Pulteney 12, EC 12.

JamesW
08-13-2008, 18:04
Aberlour A'Bunadh #18, Highland Park 12, and Glenfiddich 12 SR. Still in Cape Breton and this is basically what I've brought with me (laying off the Old Pulteney 12 as it was a gift I brought and I don't want to polish it off for my host etc...:rolleyes:) I plan on visiting the Glenora Distillery tomorrow and I'll be getting another taste of that Glen Breton Rare I suppose. Looking forward to seeing the operations.

Frodo
08-14-2008, 00:26
Sounds interesting. Any idea where? I'd definitely have a go and let everyone know how it went :grin:

I've heard from someone down there (tour bus driver) that some bars and a lot of liqour stores are in on the promotion and that samples are given out at some liqour stores...

Megawatt
08-17-2008, 08:18
I tried some fantastic malts this weekend: Highland Park 15 and Cragganmore 12. Highland Park was full and complex with honey and fruit (apple, pear) followed by a very light smokiness. There was none of the traces of iodine that I noticed in the 12 year. The finish was a bit odd, sort of sour and rubbery, not unpleasant but strange.

Cragganmore really impressed me, with all of the qualities I look for in a Speyside malt; honeyed sweetness, light fruit, grassy notes and spicy oak. A succulent medium-bodied whisky.