PDA

View Full Version : Twisting as you pull

ILLfarmboy
05-01-2008, 16:18
I have the habit of twisting the cork slightly back and forth as I pull it from the bottle. I do this mostly with tight fitting corks. When the bottle is full I don't want to jerk it by pulling the cork straight up. I have noticed from time to time this habit of mine will create or exacerbate a horizontal crack in the cork. About a week or so ago I finished a bottle of BT that had developed a tear in the cork so the last couple times I drank from it I had to be careful how I extracted the stopper.

Do most of you pull the cork straight out? Am I abusing my corks?

snakster
05-01-2008, 17:06
I once tore the cap off my cork on a bottle of BT doing just that. I still do it, but I take more care in my technique.

ACDetroit
05-01-2008, 17:10
Twisting and pulling technique? I thought that was on the "Spanking is good" thread! :slappin:

I do the same, I twist left and right slightly and then start to pull. I try not to rock it left and right as that seems to tear the cork.

Cheers!

Tony

spun_cookie
05-01-2008, 17:15
Twisting and pulling technique? I thought that was on the "Spanking is good" thread! :slappin:

I do the same, I twist left and right slightly and then start to pull. I try not to rock it left and right as that seems to tear the cork.

Cheers!

Tony

Tony... I am still lauphing....

IFB,
I think the root of your problem is teh over use of teh cork. My recomendation is to pour more per glass. This will reduce the chance of cork wareage :D

gothbat
05-01-2008, 19:32
For whatever reason I usually don't pull the cork straight out, I twist it counter clockwise as I pull up as almost if I were unscrewing it. Only one cork has ever broken on me but it was the first time I took it out so I chalk it up to a defect. One also became separated from the wooden top it was glued to but I figure that they didn't use enough glue.

mgilbertva
05-01-2008, 22:34
I rotate it out also. What other options are there? The only corks I would rock back and forth are champagne.

SippinJim
05-02-2008, 06:48
The secret is that once you get the cork out you invite your buddies over and finish the bottle so you never have to put it back. :D

Problem solved ;)

jburlowski
05-02-2008, 14:10
Try breaking off the neck of the bottle on the edge of the table. The cork will be intact.

Luna56
05-02-2008, 21:22
Brad, save your old corks. I've not had a problem with bourbon or SMS corks, but if I did I know I'd have a functional replacement close at hand. Re-using a bad cork could be trouble.

Twisting slowly in one direction only might help (in your case, I'm sure that'd be to the right :grin:).

My wife likes to use my bourbon and cognac corks to cap off opened wine bottles, olive oil bottles, etc., so I keep 'em around. They come in handy.

Cheers!

ratcheer
05-03-2008, 06:32
Yes, I also gently twist as I pull a cork.

Tim

callmeox
05-03-2008, 07:19
When I attempted to open my first bottle of WTKS, the cork and the decorative wooden topper came apart. I was both shocked and disappointed, but it was an obvious manufacturing error. After swapping it out at the store where I purchased it, I've had no other problems.

Even thought the cork issue was no fault of my own, I'm much more ginger in my twisting and pulling now.

ILLfarmboy
05-03-2008, 07:29
.Twisting slowly in one direction only might help (in your case, I'm sure that'd be to the right :grin:).

If the cork is loose enough I will twist in only one direction. (the first direction I normally twist) which is to the left (counter-clockwise) That seems more natural since I have never encountered a whiskey bottle with a left-handed screw cap. But rest assured, Luna, I hold the bottle in my right hand.:grin:

Luna56
05-03-2008, 22:16
Atta boy, rock on brother.

Cheers!