PDA

View Full Version : So what is everyone smoking?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

clingman71
08-09-2011, 11:14
Last night I enjoyed an Avo with some Jameson 18, followed by a little ORVW 10/107. This has replaced ETL as my go to bourbon.

G.H.Adams
08-10-2011, 20:24
Tonight it was a Gurkha Centurian with a pour of Wild Turkey 101.

DeanSheen
08-11-2011, 08:06
I had a Gurkha Empire last night. The last 1/4 was good. The first 3/4 was unremarkable.

I have made a vow to myself to not buy any more Gurkha's.

clingman71
08-21-2011, 15:16
Company picnic, ORVW 10/90 on ice and an Opus X, good day.

G.H.Adams
08-21-2011, 20:08
This afternoon I sat back and enjoyed a Man O War Puro Authentico with a pour of Wild Turkey 101.

G.H.Adams
08-22-2011, 20:35
This evening I enjoyed my newest addition to my humidor. I got a box of La Herencia Cubana Core Robusto. It is a nice full bodied smoke and went well with a pour of Bulleit Rye.

Happyhour24x7
08-23-2011, 04:29
Played a charity golf scramble yesterday, and enjoyed a very nice La Gloria Cubana along with the perfect weather.

DeanSheen
08-23-2011, 20:43
Played a charity golf scramble yesterday, and enjoyed a very nice La Gloria Cubana along with the perfect weather.

I have seen rumblings that the master blender, or whatever you call the guy that supervises the blends, has left LGC and that they are not as good now?

I had a Oliva Serie V #4 tonight. I'm thinking box worthy. I have had the Serie V Lancero and Double Robusto but I think the #4 is my favorite so far.

I still intend to make it through the rest of the vitola's though.....just to be sure! :grin:

Happyhour24x7
08-24-2011, 03:23
Robert, I don't know about a personnel change at La Gloria, I'll have to do some checking. This one has been in the humidor for a while though, and was typically delicious. I totally agree with you on the Oliva Serie V- great smoke in every way.

ggilbertva
08-24-2011, 16:03
Recently picked up some Padilla Achilles for $2 a stick. A great smoke for the price. For a domestic, it's got a nice flavor profile of sweet tobacco and toasted nut. Burns straight and the wrapper is well done.

G.H.Adams
08-24-2011, 21:15
Tonight I am enjoying a LHC Core Robusto with a pour of AAA 10 y/o. I have a box of Diesel Unlimited Robusto due to be delivered Friday.:cool:

Happyhour24x7
08-28-2011, 19:43
Smoked an Indian Tabac corojo tonight....or at least part of it. It just wasn't that great, and I wanted to enjoy something good. So I put it out and smoked a Hemingway Short story instead. Happy ending!

G.H.Adams
08-28-2011, 20:34
The Hemingway Short Story is one of my favorites. Tonight I am having several pours of AAA 10 y/o and enjoying a Diesel Unlimited Robusto. Nice way to end the night.

G.H.Adams
08-30-2011, 20:57
I am having a Diesel Unlimited with several pours of Bulleit Rye tonight. I am expecting a delivery of a box of Cu-Avana Intenso tomorrow along with two five packs of San Lotano Oval Robustos.

Tomorrow is going to be good day.

Happyhour24x7
09-12-2011, 09:44
Saturday enjoyed a 5 Vegas gold at a friends cookout- very nice. topped off the weekend with my all time favorite, a Padron 1964 Anniversario. beautiful.

clingman71
09-12-2011, 12:19
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Padron. Padron Anniversario Maduro is probably my all time favorite cigar.

Vosgar
09-17-2011, 22:23
Another crisp evening in northern Illinois. Enjoyed an Esteban Carreras Habano Robusto Maduro this evening on the back porch. This is a new one for me, picked some up at a cigar event at our local Tinderbox. A medium-full to full bodied stogie with nice earthy tones. Paired up very nicely with some of Kenwood's OWA.

Gary

DeanSheen
09-20-2011, 08:11
I had a Fuente 8-5-8 last night. It was pretty ROTT, like 7 days. A bit too floral at the front, more like perfume. Things got better after a bit of burn but I'm definitely letting these sit for awhile till I have another.

G.H.Adams
09-20-2011, 21:06
This evening I am enjoying a pour of Wild Turkey 101 and a La Gloria Cubana. They go well together.

Happyhour24x7
09-21-2011, 03:40
My best friend was in town, the rain blew through and it was a beautiful night. we smoked a Partagas no. 4 with pours of Russels Reserve, Old Pogue, and Old Fitzgerald BIB.

G.H.Adams
09-22-2011, 22:08
This morning I started the day with a La Gloria Cubana Serie R with my coffee. At about noon I enjoyed a Diesel Shorty and tonight I have a Diesel Unlimited Robusto burning slowly in my ashtray while I am reading the forum and sipping some 4 Roses Single Barrel.

moose
09-22-2011, 22:46
One of my usual's, an Oliva Serie G Robusto.

G.H.Adams
09-23-2011, 21:32
Tonight I am having a Cu-Avana Intenso Toro with a glass of Old Fitz BIB. Nice way to close out the day.

Tony
09-24-2011, 05:56
Today I think I am going with a custom role that I got from another fine BOTL.

Best regards, tony

TheGentleman
09-26-2011, 17:35
I'm a huge Tatuaje fan and lit up my first J21 tonight. It's fantastic. I think the SW and J21 are some of the best in Tat's regular rotation.

G.H.Adams
09-27-2011, 20:47
Tonight it is a Diesel Shorty with a pour of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.

stroker394
09-28-2011, 21:16
Tonight. Filterless Lucky Strike and Evan Williams. Will probably light up a Saint Luis Rey SLR Rothchilde later to finish.

Tony
09-29-2011, 11:41
Right now a Party Short with a Dogfish Head Punkin Ale.

Best regards, tony

Happyhour24x7
09-30-2011, 03:30
Beautiful fall evening in the commonwealth last night. Spent it on the deck with an Oliva series O and the last of a bottle of W.L. Weller 12 YO.

Vosgar
10-11-2011, 21:31
Tonight at bocce had an Esteban Carreras 187 with some WT81 and 101. I like this cigar better than their Habano.

Happyhour24x7
10-12-2011, 03:14
Got my box of 5 Vegas 2011 Limitadas delivered yesterday, can't wait to break into them tonight!

G.H.Adams
10-12-2011, 20:39
I am having a Padilla Dominous with a pour of Booker's tonight. Enjoy the 5 Vegas Limitada it's a good stick.

Happyhour24x7
10-13-2011, 03:36
Yeah Greg, I've always enjoyed them....unfortunately, rain came through last night, so they'll have to wait a little longer.

DeanSheen
10-13-2011, 19:54
I just finished a J Fuego Origen Originals. The retrohale does not get good till the middle. I really like these a lot.

tsangster
10-15-2011, 14:09
Morro Castle with Weller Special Reserve. Giving my new Asus Transformer an ops check on the back porch. Nice not having to fight the wind as i do with mag or book.

Whiskey Willie
10-28-2011, 15:28
Is anybody smoking "small?" . . . Petit corona, cigarillos, etc. . . I'm looking for a good small smoke and suggestions are welcome.

Happyhour24x7
10-28-2011, 17:19
Is anybody smoking "small?" . . . Petit corona, cigarillos, etc. . . I'm looking for a good small smoke and suggestions are welcome.

Ken, my all time favorite small smokes the Fuente Hemingway Short Story. For that matter, it's one of my favorite smokes, period. Monte Cristo Serie V are extremely nice and on the small side, but not always available. I've really never had the need to look farther than the Short Stories, they are that good. And reasonably priced.

Whiskey Willie
10-28-2011, 19:01
Jeremiah, you can't go wrong with any Fuente, and MC is one of my favorite brands. I'm really looking for something in a smaller ring, say less than 40.

G.H.Adams
10-28-2011, 20:53
Having some Wild Turkey 101 with a San Lotano Oval. Nice stick.

MissinER101
10-30-2011, 16:17
I am way too rapidly going through the Cubano Cohiba Maduros I managed to get home from Iraq.

I have a venison tenderloin marinating in a bourbon based concoction and will finish it with one of the Cohibas and some WLW for desert tonight.

Happyhour24x7
10-30-2011, 16:52
Jeremiah, you can't go wrong with any Fuente, and MC is one of my favorite brands. I'm really looking for something in a smaller ring, say less than 40.

Sorry, I didn't read your post closely enough, thought you were going for short time, not small ring gauge. I don't normally go for the thin smokes, but I have had good lonsdales from Graycliff and Oliva. little hard to find, but worth it if you can score.

Tony
10-30-2011, 17:54
Had a Tatuaje Drac that I was saving for Halloween time. Very enjoyable while watching the Lions come out with a win.

Best regards, tony

Vosgar
11-01-2011, 21:30
RP Edge Toro Maduro along with some Weller 12. After I had finished installing a new faucet in the kitchen, my wife said I should go out and enjoy the evening with a cigar. Couldn't come up with any reason to argue with her.

Gary

G.H.Adams
11-11-2011, 20:24
As 11-11-11 is my birthday I celebrated it at 11:11 AM with a pour of George T. Stagg 2011. As it is easier to get, tonight I am having several pours of Abraham Bowman Bourbon Barrel 5 with a La Aurora Preferidos Robusto.

Nice way to end the day.

tsangster
11-12-2011, 14:33
Rocky Patel 1961 with a little Weller Special Reserve.

Tony
11-12-2011, 15:15
Enjoyed a Partagas 898 today with some Pappy's 15. A good day.

Best regards, tony

smokinjoe
01-08-2012, 13:10
Since I've significantly reduced my cigar intake over the last several months, the times I do spend with one is all the more special. Last night was no exception, as I sat out on a cool humid evening with a pour of TH Handy and an AF Hemmingway Best Seller. I think even the dog enjoyed the smoke.

Happyhour24x7
01-09-2012, 06:37
Ooh, Joe, that is a nice night- love those Hemingways. I managed to get over to the club Saturday to enjoy a Felipe Gregorio Centenario- nice smoke following an excellent dinner with the GF's parents.

fricky
01-09-2012, 07:50
Yesterday I smoked a Casa Magna Domus Magnus Limitada and a Gurkha Cellar Resreve (aged 15 yrs). The Casa Magna was excellent with great flavors. I believe that the Gurkha Cellar Reserve is the best cigar in the Gurkha line; however, it is too expensive and was inferior to the Casa Magna.

JayMonster
01-15-2012, 14:04
Genuine Counterfeit Cuban Torpedo paired up with some Jim Beam Devil's Cut.

Ejmharris
01-30-2012, 18:25
I got my first humidor today along with some Rocky Patels, 5 Vegas and a small tin of ACID's (I am regretting that onlone purchase). Interested to start smoking some of the Rocky's. Stupid question, do you guys keep the wrappers on in the humidor or take them off? I have seen recommendations for both.

JayMonster
01-30-2012, 18:48
In general I keep cigars that are wrapped in a CT Shade in cellophane (though honestly, I rarely ever buy anything but Maduro. If you go mostly with mild wrappers and only occasionally buy Maduo, you could probably reverse it.

Word to the wise, keep those acids away from your real cigars and don't put them in your humidor. If you need to store them a while, use a ziplock bag.

Ejmharris
01-30-2012, 18:55
Thanks for the info Jay. All I bought were Maduro's, except the ACIDs. I find that I like Maduro's the best. I smelled the ACID's and put them far away from the others. I didn't want those wearing off on the others in the humidor. I really wish I hadn't fallen into the trap on the website that I purchased them from. Reminds me of clove cigarettes an old girlfriend used to smoke.

JayMonster
01-30-2012, 19:04
You got this humidor today you said,right? You should not have ANY cigars in it yet. You must season it, otherwise it will suck moisture out of your cigars.

Here is a quick "how to" season your new humidor

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/5151

Ejmharris
01-30-2012, 19:27
I did pull them all out after reading some more info on line. I will get it curing tomorrow when I get some distilled water. Thanks again.

Wall Eye
01-30-2012, 19:39
The cellophane will actually breathe somewhat and is fine to leave on. I've read that if they're not going anywhere else other than your home, take it off. If you might take them somewhere else, leave them on just to help protect them in transport.

Best thing I found for maintenance is beads or gel for humidification rather than the humidifier that probably came with it which is usually some type of florists foam. You can see the state of the beads or gel which is nice and they aren't expensive. Plus the beads or gel will actually give off or absorb moisture in order to maintain a constant humidity.

Rich

Ejmharris
01-30-2012, 20:17
I did buy a cigar bar humidifier and the glycol to go along with it. I had the humidor shipped to me, and it did not come with a gauge. I guess I can find one of those easy enough.

JayMonster
01-31-2012, 04:22
I did buy a cigar bar humidifier and the glycol to go along with it. I had the humidor shipped to me, and it did not come with a gauge. I guess I can find one of those easy enough.

If you use the glycol, you really don't need the hygrometer, and besides, most of the ones you will find at a reasonable prices, simply do not work all that well.

The pinch test is the easiest way to keep an eye on humidity. Pinch the oopen end of a cigar, if it is spongy and stays flattened or returns to shape slowly, too much humidity, springs right back good, doesn't move or "crunches", too dry.

Hondo
01-31-2012, 09:30
As I look through my humidors I find some sticks from Pinar Del Rio, Rocky Patel, Oliva, 262 Cigars and a few others down in there somewhere!

Last night I attended an Oliva tasting event at Riverside Cigar Lounge in Jeffersonville Indiana. This was my first official tasting event... I went to this because I have been a fan of the Oliva line for some time now. For the tasting I was given an Oliva Serie V Lancero and a Oliva Serio O Corona. Both were excellent, they also provided a bit of Bowmore Single Malt and Zaya 12yo Rum. I didn't care for the Bowmore however thought the Zaya paired pretty well with the Oliva Serie O. Matter of fact I was surprised because the only time I reach for any rum is if I'm the designated bartender at some party and I'm mixing freezer drinks for the ladies.

They had a variety of foods to taste with the cigars, but I was more interested in booze than chocolate chips! :grin:

Hondo
01-31-2012, 09:36
If you use the glycol, you really don't need the hygrometer, and besides, most of the ones you will find at a reasonable prices, simply do not work all that well.

The pinch test is the easiest way to keep an eye on humidity. Pinch the oopen end of a cigar, if it is spongy and stays flattened or returns to shape slowly, too much humidity, springs right back good, doesn't move or "crunches", too dry.

This is pretty much what I do as well. Since I started using 70% propylene glycol solution, the rh holds perfectly. I only check the hygro on occasion just to make sure that the glycol is blended properly. I've never had an error but if the solution was somehow wrong I would hate to mess up a box of sticks over it.

Beer&Bourbon
01-31-2012, 10:17
I've been meaning to look into the glycol solution or beads. Do you just put them into the humidor? How much room do they take up? How often do you have to replace them? I've been using distilled water and the humidifier that came with my humidor, but I'm constantly checking it (which is part of the reason I picked up a pipe and some pipe tobacco recently).

Ejmharris
01-31-2012, 10:48
I've been meaning to look into the glycol solution or beads. Do you just put them into the humidor? How much room do they take up? How often do you have to replace them? I've been using distilled water and the humidifier that came with my humidor, but I'm constantly checking it (which is part of the reason I picked up a pipe and some pipe tobacco recently).

I got the cigar bar (holder) for $3 and glycol solution for 11 at jungle Jim's. It just takes up the space of about 1 cigar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wall Eye
01-31-2012, 11:17

Heartfelt makes beads that come in various sizes to fit the humidor. From a small, cigar shaped container to large, 1 lb bags for really large humidors. The website has pictures and recommendations for the various sizes.

The containers are clear and you just observe the beads to see if/when you need to add any distilled water. They are supposed to last forever according to the website. You can buy beads set for a specific rh - 65 or 70% rh for example.

If you've got some very expensive cigars - let's say from pre-embargo Cuba for example - you will want to invest in a good quality digital hygrometer just so you can sleep well at night. But if you're like me, I just got rid of the cheap, inaccurate thing and trust the beads. No problems, no worries, works great.

JayMonster
01-31-2012, 15:50
I've been meaning to look into the glycol solution or beads. Do you just put them into the humidor? How much room do they take up? How often do you have to replace them? I've been using distilled water and the humidifier that came with my humidor, but I'm constantly checking it (which is part of the reason I cked up a pipe and some pipe tobacco recently).

A couple. things at play here. First the humidifier that came with your humidor is probably a piece of junk. They usually are. But beyond that, it sounds to me like either your humidor isn't seasoned or doesn't have a good seal (which could be because of the need to be seasoned.

If you do pick up a cigar bar or other solution, I would start over, season the humidor before adding the cigar bar. Put everything back and watch. If you are adding water in a week (or less), then the "seal" of your humidor is no good.

Happyhour24x7
02-01-2012, 03:21
I was out in Vegas over the weekend and picked up one of the exclusive cigars available at Casa Fuente. I think they described it as the Opus X filler witha Cameroon wrapper. It was ok, but unremarkable; especially given the price paid I was expecting much more.

JayMonster
02-01-2012, 08:29
I was out in Vegas over the weekend and picked up one of the exclusive cigars available at Casa Fuente. I think they described it as the Opus X filler witha Cameroon wrapper. It was ok, but unremarkable; especially given the price paid I was expecting much more.

I find this true with a lot of cigars with Cameroon wrappers in general, add to the price the fact that you picked it up in a tourist trap location that specializes in selling more to "high roller" wanna-bes than anything else, and you wind up with an overpriced and underwhelming experience... unfortunately.

(In general, A. Fuente does make some exceptional cigars though).

Happyhour24x7
02-01-2012, 15:13
actually, I love Cameroon wrapped cigars, generally speaking; that is what sold be on this particular one. Yes, Vegas is a trap, and yes, the shop is in a high end area; but given that this is Fuente's flagship store I guess I just expected something phenomenal- that's why I was willing to pay the price.

JayMonster
02-01-2012, 16:21
actually, I love Cameroon wrapped cigars, generally speaking; that is what sold be on this particular one. Yes, Vegas is a trap, and yes, the shop is in a high end area; but given that this is Fuente's flagship store I guess I just expected something phenomenal- that's why I was willing to pay the price.

I was talking about the price. Camwroon wrappers can be very good, but they tend to be very fragile and more limited in supply making them typically more expensive.

The other issue that I forgot to mention is that most stores like that tend to over humidify to accoint for the in/out traffic. Let it sit in your humidor a while and settle and you may have gotten a bit more flavor out of it.

Either way, it is sad that you had such a sub par experience with what sounds like it ahould have been a nice blend.

Happyhour24x7
02-02-2012, 03:04
Well, I did buy an extra to bring home, so we'll see what round 2 brings...and hope you are right!

JayMonster
02-02-2012, 05:30
Well, I did buy an extra to bring home, so we'll see what round 2 brings...and hope you are right!

You really got me thinking since we started this. I dug into my humidor and found and Opus X and a Hemingway Short Story from 2001. I may have to fire up one of those this weekend if the weather holds (can't smoke 'em in the house).

Happyhour24x7
02-02-2012, 06:41
yeah, now I'm jones'n too...may have to visit one of the local cigar clubs this weekend. used to have a nice smoking room before I got divorced, but I'm letting the ex stay there until the kids move out....someday I will reclaim it. until then, outside or a club it is...sigh.

taylor714
02-14-2012, 12:22
I plan on firing up a pipefull of peter stokkebye luxury Bullseye flake and pouring a glass of Elmer t lee. The sweetness of the tobacco compliments the bourbon nicely

ckgdrums
02-16-2012, 09:57
Gonna have an A.J. Fernandez custom blended toro, and a glass of OGD 114. Can't wait...come on 4:30!!!

bourboncc
02-16-2012, 19:37
Liga Privada T52 to start the day, UZI Baitfish to end it.

MissinER101
02-17-2012, 15:17
Well it is ~50* here on the western slope of Colorado and in about an hour I'm going out on the back patio with a WLW and one of my remaining Cuban Cohiba maduros and watch the setting sun play on the Rocky Mountains.

cigarnv
02-18-2012, 13:16
Just a beautiful afternoon in the Old Dominion.... had to get out for a cigar before the snow arrives tomorrow... what a funky winter!!

Had to go for a classic... 1998 HdM Churchill... beautiful construction, dark wrapper.... candy from Havana!!!

tsangster
02-18-2012, 15:27
Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro

smokinjoe
02-18-2012, 16:52
B&B's post on pipe smoking got me to hunt down my pipe and give it a go. The not then Mrssmokinjoe gave me this small bowl, bent stem Dr Grabow Lark, along with a pouch of Captain Black, some 27 years ago while we were in college. It's been pretty much exclusively CB since, as it is on this rainy night in Georgia out here in the garage with the Sheltie napping in the corner and the Taylor Tornado in my glass.

Ejmharris
02-18-2012, 20:15
Nice Rocky Patel by the fire!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young Blacksmith
02-18-2012, 21:02
a bowl of McClelland Black Parrot in a falcon. Nice counterpoint to some ER 101.

JayMonster
02-19-2012, 15:37
Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro

Hmmm... Haven't gone with a Perdomo in quite some time... may have to dig one out now.

Beer&Bourbon
02-19-2012, 21:06
Pulled out a Cohiba Corona yesterday. Enjoyed it on a trip to the dog park.

cigarnv
02-20-2012, 01:46
Last evening I enjoyed a Bolivar RE release from Greece which was very approachable for a young Boli. Very tame compared to the Boli's of the early 2000's.

Clavius
02-20-2012, 20:37
I don't know if anybody here smokes Acids but I just bought a tin of the Krush Conneticut. They're pretty good. I love the Acid Kuba Kuba's but rarely have the patience for a normal size cigar. So the Krush little cigars are great for me.

JayMonster
02-20-2012, 20:48
Acids... I would say they are to cigars as Jack Daniels Honey is to bourbon. They have their market segment, but few enthusiasts hold them in high regard.

Clavius
02-20-2012, 21:18
Acids... I would say they are to cigars as Jack Daniels Honey is to bourbon. They have their market segment, but few enthusiasts hold them in high regard.
Noted. Don't get me wrong, I love a good "regular" cigar. I just don't know enough about them and find all of the brands to be overwhelming. However, I have smoked a few Padron's and have enjoyed them.

JayMonster
02-21-2012, 05:39
Noted. Don't get me wrong, I love a good "regular" cigar. I just don't know enough about them and find all of the brands to be overwhelming. However, I have smoked a few Padron's and have enjoyed them.

Please also don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in smoke (or drink) what you enjoy.

You are right, the number of brands (and combinations of tobacco) can be very overwhelming. But like bourbon, there are certain traits you can look for to help narrow things down, depending on what you like.

For example (And these are slightly oversimplified)

Wrappers:

CT. Shade (or "shade grown) - these blond color wrappers generally will indicate a more mild flavored cigar. They will impart a more silky smooth taste, that is the best known and best selling in the US. Macanudo and (Domincan not Cuban branded) Cohiba are probably the best known examples of this type. I would equate this with Maker's Mark to a bourbon drinker. Simple, inoffensive, but not much else.

Sun Grown - typically darker than the Shade Grown, these vary a lot in taste. Best known for this is the Ashton Virgin Sun Grown, because they are almost always excellent (and generally cost considerably more), this can be a very hit or miss area (other than the Ashtons). If you want to get into Sun Growns, I always suggest buying sampler packs if available to you to try out several different brands. This is like going through Stagg, WTRB, Handy and other powerful Bourbons. When good, they are great, when not, well, you can wind up with nothing more than a lot of burn in the back of your palate. As I said, the Ashton VSG is probably the best (and best known) of this type, but there are plenty of other (and less expensive) options.

Maduro - Usually a rich dark, chocolate color, the flavor is usually richer than a sun grown, but also smoother and less "spicy" (Whether less spicy is good or bad of course depends on taste). I could go on for hours on selecting different types of Maduros (but won't... your welcome), but suffice it to say the darker and more oily looking the wrapper appears to be, the richer the taste. This is along the lines of an ORVW, or Knob Creek, but also Jim Beam Black and Evan Williams. Generally good tasting, but the richness varies and age definitely improves them. Too many to give a "typical" taste to a single or just a few cigars. La Gloria Cubana, Arturo Fuente, Padron are certainly some brands that are always trustworthy though.

Cameroon - Color varies on these rarer wrappers, thought they are almost alway lighter than a maduro. They impart a sweet taste to the cigar, less rich, but definitely smooth. They are also quite fragile (to roll as well as care for in your humidor). They generally cost more, and except for some off brands that use thickly veined wrappers ("seconds" for lack of a better term), are generally excellent cigars. This is like the wheaters bourbon category of cigars. There are a few less aged cigars that would be like a Weller Special Reserve, but it also moves up the scale to Pappy like status (and price) for some of the very good. Best known in this category would probably be CAO Cameroon and the Arturo Fuente Hemigway line.

Finally there is Ecuador Sumatra - this actually fits into several categories depending on how it is aged and grown, you can find the standard broadleaf which is closer to a Sun Grown (and sometimes is) all the way to a Dark Maduro, They are spicy and tasty wrappers. These are my personal favorite. It is not as expensive as a Cameroon and not as boring as a CT Shadegrown. Paring this up with a rich flavored, heavier bourbon (For me that is Knob Creek Single Barrel, though I can see WT Rare Breed or Saz working well here).

There is of course more options, and the binder as well as the filler is what makes them different, but this should give you a decent base to go into a tobacco shop and feel less overwhelmed with the options.

Clavius
02-21-2012, 14:34
Hey thanks for the write-up, Jay! I'm familiar with Connecticut Shade and Maduro wrappers. Thinking back through the few cigars I've smoked I probably prefer the Maduro. I'll have to look for Cameroon and Sumatra next time I go to the store. And I'll check out a few of those brands (particularly Arturo Fuente).

Beer&Bourbon
02-21-2012, 19:59
I also don't have a great deal of knowledge in terms of what I smoke. I usually read a bit and pick up a few cigars that I keep in the humidor until I pull them out (usually on a whim). I usually equate the light wrappers with mild, non-offensive smokes (and for that reason rarely buy them myself, but sometimes get them as gifts). The Cohiba I had the other day was rich and spicy and full of flavor; I even said to my wife that it was the most impressive light cigar I'd had to date.

I've had 2 Ashton VSGs in my brief cigar smoking life (1.5 years or so). Neither of them tickled my fancy. They were both decent enough smokes but not enough to get me to pick up another one. I generally stick to dark wrappers and look for coffee/espresso/chocolate flavors, but I also like the leather/nut/oak character I've had in a few lighter cigars. Are there any combinations that bring together some light character (say leather and oak) with some dark coffee/espresso? I'd also be interested in some dark character with spicy notes in it if anyone has recommendations.

Clavius
02-21-2012, 20:27
Any recommendations from you guys on a decent, small/medium humidor?

JayMonster
02-22-2012, 05:16
I've had 2 Ashton VSGs in my brief cigar smoking life (1.5 years or so). Neither of them tickled my fancy. They were both decent enough smokes but not enough to get me to pick up another one. I generally stick to dark wrappers and look for coffee/espresso/chocolate flavors, but I also like the leather/nut/oak character I've had in a few lighter cigars. Are there any combinations that bring together some light character (say leather and oak) with some dark coffee/espresso? I'd also be interested in some dark character with spicy notes in it if anyone has recommendations.

I am a little surprised at the VSGs, as I would have bet that their spice would have been right up your ally, though granted they don't have the darker flavors you also enjoy.

The CAO Brazilia may fit the bill for what you are seeking. It is not a Maduro, but the Brazilian Wrapper adds spice but also a leathery taste. The Filler brings the dark rich taste that you like. It is very full bodied and rich with enough spice to keep it interesting. This typically comes only in larger ring sizes though... so a warning, it is often best to let them sit in your humidor a while if you pick them up from a shop that keeps their humidors high as the extra moisture is more noticeable in the larger ring sizes and can make your experience more muted and muddy.

Arturo Fuente Anejo - This cigar initially was a "fill in" to help Fuente cover costs after hurricane destroyed one of their warehouses. As the story goes, with none of their regular wrapper ready to make their Opus X Cigars, rather than just waiting until they had more wrappers ready, the took the spicy and well loved Opus X Ligero Filler and instead wrapped it in a deep dark Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro that was aged 5 years in Cognac barrels. This is more of a medium in terms of strength with a sweetness up front that builds as it goes. Be aware though that the Anejo is a limited production cigar and generally released around Father's Day and occasionally they have a near Xmas release (though I haven't seen it in a while).

Punch - Punch Cigars are made from an Ecuador Sumatra wrapper (see my last post for my thoughts on the Sumatra), a CT Shade Binder which gives you some of the things you like about the shade grown, without making it a boring cigar and a combination of Honduran, Nicaraguan and Dominican tobacco which gives you a premium, rich and tasty smoke experience, without the difficulty of finding it as the Arturo Fuente Anejo or the price of some "ultra premium" brands. Oh, Punch is not a cheapy cigar, but it smokes well above its price class on most days.

Montecristo Afrique - with a preference towards fuller bodied smokes, I rarely recommend Montecristo. They are good, very good, though they can be bland. Not the case though with their Afrique line. A Cameroon wrapper (sweet flavors) over an Ecquador Sumatra Binder and filled with a combination of African, Nicaraguan and Peruvian tobacco, it has a very distinct and unusual entrance with a solid spicy core and Rich Corinthian Leather finish.

I could come up with some more, but these are some that (I think) are fairly easily available in most good smoke shops (well, the Anejo, when available). Partas Black is another really good one, but I see less often. I love the Genuine Counterfeit Cuban Pre-Embargos, but I believe they are a JR Cirgars exclusive meaning you would have to order online or be in one of the 2 states where JR Cigars has stores.

If you need more, just let me know.

JayMonster
02-22-2012, 06:35
Any recommendations from you guys on a decent, small/medium humidor?

Avoid a glass top (unless you are more interested in showing off your cigars than smoking them). That is not a hard and fast rule... just mine personally. To me, the more cedar, the better, both for taste and humidity.

Make sure it has a good fitting lid so you don't have to constantly mess with adding more water.

Whatever you get, if it comes with a cheap small circle humidfying device, plan to buy something a bit better to add to it. (Gel or beads is best).

Here is a decent one from JR Cigars, as an example. But any solid cedar lined cabinet will work for small/medium size units.

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemDetail/itemcode=3RMHX/CIGAR-LOGO-HUMIDOR:-EL-REY-DEL-MUNDO.html

JayMonster
02-24-2012, 14:38
Got 2 smokes picked out, one if the NJ Devils win tonight (Punch Rare Corojo), and one if they lose (Consuerga Maduro). But both depend on the rain letting up by the time I get back from the Prudential Center.

JayMonster
02-24-2012, 20:17
Well... Devil's lost, so the Rare Corojo will live to see another day, but since the rain stopped, I am starting in on a Consuerga #16 (Punch Pita Seconds).

JayMonster
02-26-2012, 20:10
It is a fairly nice, chilly evening here in NJ. Certainly not warm enough to stay out long enough with a big ring cigar, so I pullled out a Flor de A. Allones Especiale No. 5. I have had these little tootsie rolls in my humidor since about 2002. They were a little rough around the edges back then, but have smoothed out nicely with all those years in cedar.

I paired this up with my last pour from a bottle of Maker's Mark. MM would have been overwhelmed by this cigar 10 years ago, but with the aging and smoothness, they are now a pleasant match (though I wish I could get some MM that has been in its own wood for 10 years, I would love to find out what that would taste like).

The wrapper on the Allones is rich and dark. It is listed as an EMS, but looks more like a Maduro. The Ecuadorian Sumatra Wrapper and Nicaraguan filler make this a solid full flavor smoke, the CT Shade Binder and additional Honduran Tobacco in the filler help balance things out to make this a well rounded taste, though not overly complex.

Because of their size, I have a tendency to overlook them a good amount of the time, but then I smoke one, and I wonder why I waited so long to go back to them.

Though the timing was exactly what I had planned, it felt like my glass was empty a little too quickly and my cigar (because of its 38 ring gauge) ended too soon. Making me look forward to warmer weather when I can go with the bigger gauge and a longer pour.

Happyhour24x7
02-27-2012, 03:37
Enjoyed a couple of nice smokes this weekend: a Padron 1964 Anniversario (my all time favorite) on Saturday afternoon following a Cognac tasting, and a nice Hemingway Sunday sitting on the deck on a chilly but nice February day.

Steve99
03-02-2012, 13:46
Just lit up a Bauza Torpedo that has been sitting in my humidor over a year. I had grown tired of them as too mild after they had been my favorite cigar. I am finding this one quite tasty. Any suggestion for a bourbon to accompany it?

JayMonster
03-02-2012, 20:01
Just lit up a Bauza Torpedo that has been sitting in my humidor over a year. I had grown tired of them as too mild after they had been my favorite cigar. I am finding this one quite tasty. Any suggestion for a bourbon to accompany it?

This is a tough one, the all Domincan Wrapper and Binder take away any robust flavors from the Ecuador Sumatra Wrapper on this making it a very bland, if inoffensive smoke.

I would probably go to either extreme with this, either attempting very meek like a Maker's Mark or even a Canadian Whiskey otherwise I would go to the other side and go with an overpowering spicey bourbon or even perhaps a Rye to try and contrast with the mild tobacco of this cigar. This would probably work well with something like a Basil Hayden. (Though neither the cigar nor the bourbon is my personal taste).

JayMonster
03-02-2012, 20:06
Tonight I paired up a generous pour of Booker's with an Arturo Fuente Short Story.

I was less than impressed with the Booker's, it wasn't bad, but I definitely found one of the first Boubon's that I can honestly say that I thought was overpriced for what it is. I would just as soon go with Knob Creek Single Barrel as I think it is actually a better tasting whiskey at a more reasonable price.

That being said, this was an excellent paring of strength and spice between the Short Story and the Booker's. The richness of the cigar carried the somewhat lacking substance and lacking finish of the Booker's, but didn't interfere with the excellent start and mouth feel of this bourbon, nor was the Booker's too harsh on the palate to kill of the delicate spice of the Short Story.

An overall bright spot on an otherwise gloomy (weather wise) evening.

fricky
03-03-2012, 08:53
Yesterday, I smoked a Drew Estates Undercrown Toro. It is a very flavorful, full-bodied cigar. This is a cigar that is certainly box worthy. Unfortunately, I smoked the last one available at my cigar lounge.

Steve99
03-03-2012, 14:02
This is a tough one, the all Domincan Wrapper and Binder take away any robust flavors from the Ecuador Sumatra Wrapper on this making it a very bland, if inoffensive smoke.

I would probably go to either extreme with this, either attempting very meek like a Maker's Mark or even a Canadian Whiskey otherwise I would go to the other side and go with an overpowering spicey bourbon or even perhaps a Rye to try and contrast with the mild tobacco of this cigar. This would probably work well with something like a Basil Hayden. (Though neither the cigar nor the bourbon is my personal taste).

Thanks for the advice. I'm impressed with your knowledge of cigars. You know my cigar better than I do. Glad to see your description matches what I am tasting.

Tonight's pleasure is a Jaime Garcia Toro. Much more flavor. Probably should have waited until after dinner as this is starting to hit me a little hard. I was afraid it would get too cold and I've got the big Duke v. UNC game to watch...

Ejmharris
03-03-2012, 19:08
Tried an ACID for the first time tonight. I didn't think I was going to like it. The smell of the cigar was just strange. It did surprise me. I liked a lot more the I thought I would. Still pretty sure it will not be one I grab very often, and I only smoke a cigar a couple times a month, but I will go back. I thought I was just going to unload them on someone else. Will be interested to try some of the of other Drew Estates options.

JayMonster
03-04-2012, 20:09
Thanks for the advice. I'm impressed with your knowledge of cigars. You know my cigar better than I do. Glad to see your description matches what I am tasting.

Tonight's pleasure is a Jaime Garcia Toro. Much more flavor. Probably should have waited until after dinner as this is starting to hit me a little hard. I was afraid it would get too cold and I've got the big Duke v. UNC game to watch...

Glad to help, though I'd describe my knowledge as "expansive" rather than impressive. I've just smoked a lot of cigars.

cigarnv
03-05-2012, 06:50
I was recently gifted a Partagas Salamone from a friend visiting from overseas. Big cigar packed with spice, earth and creamy flavors. Smoked beautifully and amazingly even.... which is always a chore with a salamone.

JayMonster
03-07-2012, 19:11
Took advantage of some nice weather this evening to enjoy some Maker's 46 along with a long since discontinued Montecruz Negra Cubano.

These were (I believe) a JR Cigars exclusive (at least they started out that way), and were on sale often at least initially, and I got a box on sale back around 2002 or 2003. I smoked about half the box, and found the other 1/2 box recently tucked away at the bottom of one of my cooler-dors (I really should rotate them more often I guess).

Nice spice from the dark still oily Ecuador Sumatra wrapper. There are definitely hints of coffee and Chocolate, though they are a bit more muted than they were 10 or so years ago. It is definitely a smooth smoke now (pretty sure it started out that way).

It is a well constructed cigar that draws easily and burns nice and even. Not much in tar buildup and it never gets bitter, only turning a bit hot as I reach the band.

It is a shame they have gone away, since they were a nice affordable stick, but then again, there is little here that excites and makes it more memorable than anything else, and I guess can easily be replaced with another stick.

Steve99
03-08-2012, 18:09
Beautiful warm evening in the Carolina's tonight. Took time to enjoy an Acid Deep Dish. Definitely not one to pair with any bourbon, but had already enjoyed some Eagle Rare 10 year. The box press cigar gives an interesting mouth feel vs. most cigars. More flavor than a Kuba Kuba. Unfortunately didn't burn very even, but a very good smoke and wonderful end to a good dinner and evening.

JayMonster
03-08-2012, 19:47
Thursday night meana bowling. Bowling means Devil's Cut. Needed something simple but quick and tasty to go with it. Tonight that is a Punch Punch. Simple tobacco with an earthy aroma and hints of espresso.

jtexaslonestar
03-08-2012, 19:55
Had a Padron '64 for the first time and loved it. Now I know what special occasion cigar I will have b/c the price is a little steep for every now and then!:cool:

G.H.Adams
03-08-2012, 22:37
Tonight it is a DPG Cuban Classic Robusto with a pour of Bowman Bourbon.

cigarnv
03-09-2012, 07:39
Tonight it is a DPG Cuban Classic Robusto with a pour of Bowman Bourbon.

Nice way to settle in after a tough day.... hang in there Greg...

fricky
03-10-2012, 05:42
I enjoy Casa Magna Colorado cigars. They are full bodied and very flavorful. I purchased a box of Casa Magna Domus Magnus Limitada cigars thinking they might be outstanding. They were good but not worth the price. The Casa Magna Colorado Cigars are superior.

TheGentleman
03-10-2012, 15:01
Had an Illusione Epernay Petite this afternoon. This is from a 2009 cab and they really are hitting their stride now. There was a definite graham cracker note that would pair very well with champagne (that was the intention of the blend). Anyhow, no champagne for me...just ORVW 10YR 107.

Tony
03-10-2012, 15:34
Bolivar BF today while watching basketball with some beer, no bourbon though will have some tomorrow while watching MSU and OSU.

clingman71
03-10-2012, 15:49
Padilla edicion limitada 2010. First outdoor cigar of 2012!

Happyhour24x7
03-12-2012, 03:31
Smoked a fantastic Perdomo 10th anniversary Champagne torpedo following a Caps win and a nice dinner. Big, smooth, smoke!

JayMonster
03-15-2012, 13:20
Took full advantage of the 70 degree day here in NJ, and once I got the little one off to bed, I sat back with a La Escepcion Dahlia. This is one of my true pleasure cigars. When I bought it back around 2000, I think I paid about $79 a box for them. Now they run $55.00 for 10. So now they are awesome AND cheap (relatively). Paired up with some old Jim Beam Black 7 Year Old... it was a great way to end the day.

cigarnv
03-15-2012, 13:38
Punch Special Seleccion #1.. always a spot on cigar...

JayMonster
03-15-2012, 13:49
Punch Special Seleccion #1.. always a spot on cigar...

Have you bought any Puch cigars that were made in Denali since they closed the Villazon factory? (Would be boxes stamped January 2010 or later)

Special Reserve
03-15-2012, 14:55
I quit smoking 30 years ago today.

I had a deal with my self when I 1quit smoking that after a year I'd allow myself to smoke a cigar under specific circumstances. About 16 months later the conditions were met.

I found myself in a smoke shop in Toronto and was going to purchase a Cuban cigar when I said why the hell am I doing this. Put the cigar back and haven't looked back (too much).

cigarnv
03-16-2012, 04:18
Partagas Corona from a 2002 cabinet.....

JayMonster
03-18-2012, 13:59
Flor De A. Allones Especial No. 5 and a Perfect. JBB Manhattan while outside grilling up some steaks for dinner.

This wasn't a particularly good pairing. Even after sitting in my humidor for a dozen years
This smoke simply overpowers a Manhattan and a good amount of the drim
nks flavor is lost.

cigarnv
03-18-2012, 14:47
HdM Churchill ... always a good smoke!!

TheGentleman
03-18-2012, 15:00
Punch DC from 2010....incredible smoke.

Young Blacksmith
03-18-2012, 19:38
Pipe Smoker here, McClelland's Black Parrot in a clay bowl with reed stem.

A dusty JTS Brown 86 really cut through the smoking palate to present its flavors nicely.

jtexaslonestar
03-19-2012, 17:36
Ok, I had a few unsuccessful pairings this weekend by my undeveloped preferences. As nice as it is, the FR1B current wasn't meshing with my maduros. Any suggestions? But tonight, this short story is rocking my EWSB '00! This really does it for me!

JayMonster
03-19-2012, 19:14
Ok, I had a few unsuccessful pairings this weekend by my undeveloped preferences. As nice as it is, the FR1B current wasn't meshing with my maduros. Any suggestions? But tonight, this short story is rocking my EWSB '00! This really does it for me!

Need a little more info on what was wrong with the pairing, and more about your cigar. A full bodied maduro? Nicaraguan? Honduran? (I'm assuming not Dominican, since that would have been more mild and easier to blend in taste wise).

And I am convinced that a Fuente Short Story with its Cameroon Wrapper and medium bodied Dominican Tobacco can pair with just about any bourbon, and do it well. (Fuente is about the only cigar I smoke that has so much Dominican Tobacco influence, they seem to be able to get more out of Dominican Tobacco than anybody else... in my not so humble opinion of course).

jtexaslonestar
03-19-2012, 20:08
Need a little more info on what was wrong with the pairing, and more about your cigar. A full bodied maduro? Nicaraguan? Honduran? (I'm assuming not Dominican, since that would have been more mild and easier to blend in taste wise).

And I am convinced that a Fuente Short Story with its Cameroon Wrapper and medium bodied Dominican Tobacco can pair with just about any bourbon, and do it well. (Fuente is about the only cigar I smoke that has so much Dominican Tobacco influence, they seem to be able to get more out of Dominican Tobacco than anybody else... in my not so humble opinion of course).

Last night was an EPC Carrillo, it seemed to overpower the Four Roses, like the proof wasn't able to break through and integrate with the flavors. Before that was a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor and it basically ended the same way, too much cigar and not enough from the bourbon. I honestly would like to give you more info but I am not to that level of description yet. I can tell you that OFBB '11 paired well with an A. Torrent Maduro and a Padron Maduro that I can't recall. Sorry if this is jibberish, but thank you for you assistance!:grin:

JayMonster
03-20-2012, 12:15
You descriptions were fine. This isn't rocket science. I am a little surprise though that the 4R1B didn't stand up so well to this.

I guess you would need to find something in a medium to mild profile, since these are medium-full and full flavored.

I would look for something with Honduran or Dominican Tobacco and avoid Nicaraguan.

Some things that are decent, not too whimpy and may suit you would include:

Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon - Not as washed out as most Toranos, the Cameroon adds some nice flavor to this cigar while maintaining a relatively mild just short of medium profile.

Onyx - A mile Maduro with a very easy draw, they are pleasant enough, have a fairly good sweet Maduro taste, and shouldn't interfere with anything. Personally though, I find them a bit boring, but if other Maduros are overpowering your tastebuds, this may work for you.

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 - A nice rich tasting maduro that isn't too heavy or full bodied thanks to a nice blend of Dominican Tobacco that is just great to taste without overwhelming.

I could try to find some more but these are the best options (or those like them) that I can think of at this point. Hopefully you can find something there that fits your needs.

jtexaslonestar
04-02-2012, 20:06
You descriptions were fine. This isn't rocket science. I am a little surprise though that the 4R1B didn't stand up so well to this.

I guess you would need to find something in a medium to mild profile, since these are medium-full and full flavored.

I would look for something with Honduran or Dominican Tobacco and avoid Nicaraguan.

Some things that are decent, not too whimpy and may suit you would include:

Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon - Not as washed out as most Toranos, the Cameroon adds some nice flavor to this cigar while maintaining a relatively mild just short of medium profile.

Onyx - A mile Maduro with a very easy draw, they are pleasant enough, have a fairly good sweet Maduro taste, and shouldn't interfere with anything. Personally though, I find them a bit boring, but if other Maduros are overpowering your tastebuds, this may work for you.

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 - A nice rich tasting maduro that isn't too heavy or full bodied thanks to a nice blend of Dominican Tobacco that is just great to taste without overwhelming.

I could try to find some more but these are the best options (or those like them) that I can think of at this point. Hopefully you can find something there that fits your needs.

Sorry I did not see this sooner but the 4R1B was a great pour without but I have not found one suitable. I will def. take your advice though.
I had the Pappy 15 with a Short Story and that was just great! I continued with OWA NAS with a Cohiba Corona and it was fine. The whiskey was great but the Cohiba was very light and had an easy pull, to easy. I could have had a better cigar but decided to try the Cohiba. I have certainly enjoyed the Padron '64 maduro and La Gloria Maduro. I haven't hated anything but I strive to experience better. :grin:

cigarnv
04-03-2012, 01:43
Hemmingway Classic.... always a solid cigar..

smokinjoe
04-03-2012, 18:44
Just finished up supper of grilled salmon w/ capers, EVOO, garlic, and lemon, with a side of grilled baby spinach. Beam OGD in the glass. And, a La Traviata Maduro, while sitting out back on another splendid evening, here Down South. Not sure it can get better than this...

BourbonJoe
04-04-2012, 19:44
Smoked a Belmondo tonight. It was OK. Just OK.
Joe :usflag:

cigarnv
04-05-2012, 02:56
Carlos Valdes double pyrimide last evening with a Ryan's red ale....

cigarnv
04-07-2012, 07:00
Back to an old, reliable favorite last evening... LGC Wavell. One tough stick to beat for quality and value..

JayMonster
04-07-2012, 07:09
Back to an old, reliable favorite last evening... LGC Wavell. One tough stick to beat for quality and value..

Oh man... I haven't had one of those in a long time. You are right, they are a great stick at a good price. I know what I am adding to my next order.

cigarnv
04-07-2012, 09:16
Oh man... I haven't had one of those in a long time. You are right, they are a great stick at a good price. I know what I am adding to my next order.

For less than $4 a stick how can one not have them in the rotation..... both maddie and nats..

Tony
04-07-2012, 10:56
Tatuaje Tattoo from 08 today while watching some hockey with some Four Roses yellow label, a good day.

Best regards, Tony

JayMonster
04-09-2012, 03:17
Once I sent all rhe guests home and cleaned up, a little me time was in order, so I unwound with a genuine Counterfeit Cuban and some Knob Creek Single Barrel.

cigarnv
04-10-2012, 04:13
Once I sent all rhe guests home and cleaned up, a little me time was in order, so I unwound with a genuine Counterfeit Cuban and some Knob Creek Single Barrel.

The Counterfeit Cuban is one of the best value low priced sticks on the market IMO...... blows the fdoos off a lot of sticks that cost 3x as much...

JayMonster
04-10-2012, 04:48
The Counterfeit Cuban is one of the best value low priced sticks on the market IMO...... blows the fdoos off a lot of sticks that cost 3x as much...

Obviously... I agree. Between the originals and the "1958-Pre Embargo Counterfeits" (Which I tend to smoke a bit more) they are some superb smokes at a very inexpensive price.

Khomeinist
04-10-2012, 23:39
Had a Cohiba Siglo I. Friend brought a bottle of Templeton Rye. Not a favorite of mine, particularly given the shady back-story. But it was an enjoyable break after a rough day.

cigarnv
04-11-2012, 10:39
Last evening was a HDM Le Hoyo Des Dieux.... very nice cigar to go with a number of good whiskies.....

cigarnv
04-12-2012, 02:35
A "lost in the humi special"... one of those unbanded sticks you find in the humi and have no idea what it is.... this one was OK... but I suspect a DR with way too much age on it.

jtexaslonestar
04-12-2012, 18:17
Oliva serie G with my OWA. it was a slow starter but is really getting good halfway through. Still not quite a short story to me.

JayMonster
04-12-2012, 19:32
Oliva serie G with my OWA. it was a slow starter but is really getting good halfway through. Still not quite a short story to me.

Oliva has always been hit or miss (usually miss) for me.

cigarnv
04-13-2012, 05:09
Saint Luis Rey Serie A ..... always a spot on cigar when they have some age on them.....

barrelslime
04-14-2012, 18:07
Today I enjoyed a Rocky Patel Royal Vintage and a glass of Jim Beam Black with water. A very nice combo that brought out a lot of flavors in both the cigar and the drink.
The Royal Vintage was a great smoke. Iv had many Rocky Patels but this was the first Royal Vintage and it was a solid 8.9 out of 10. Very nice stick, great flavor, lots of thick smoke, easy draw, and typical perfect burn from and structure from a Patel. Got it from cigar.com and recommend it strongly. :bandit:

cigarnv
04-15-2012, 03:42
Upmann PC 2006 last evening..... classic cigar in a great format...

JayMonster
04-15-2012, 19:18
Didn't have much time for a smoke today, but really wasn't in the mood for the Bolivar Especial #5 that is usually my go to in such situations. So I dug in deep and found an old Montecristo 4 x 44. It was a short run product at the time (though apparently now it is a regular), that was on special at JR Cigars and I had purchased a couple of boxes of this little gem after trying one at the store.

Not particularly strong, it is a smooth draw easy smoke, with lots of chocolate and leather taste. We used to call these little things Tootsie Rolls back then, and smoking this I remember why. I don't know if the newer runs are still made (or taste) the same, but now I want to find out.

Since this was during yard work today, rather than bourbon it was paired up with Mayorga Roastmaster's Blend Coffee.

jtexaslonestar
04-16-2012, 18:23
I had problems with my previous bottle of FR1B pairing well with cigars but the '10 bottle i picked up today has found a friend with this Perdomo Noir . Very happy ending to a Monday .

cigarnv
04-17-2012, 03:12
Padron 1964 Exclusivo paired with a AA 86PF from the 80's. Great combination

Happyhour24x7
04-17-2012, 06:31
Padron 1964 Exclusivo paired with a AA 86PF from the 80's. Great combination

my all time favorite cigar....

jtexaslonestar
04-18-2012, 18:45
The Perdomo Champagne Noir is quickly becoming my favorite. Not a fan of the Toro, but that can be overlooked. Pairs with most of my drinks extremely well and so balanced.

cigarnv
04-19-2012, 00:53
Upmann Sir Winston with a bit of the first EHT

JayMonster
04-23-2012, 08:19
Didn't bring any cigars with me on my recent trip, which was unfortunate since I found myself with a little more time than originally anticipated. Fortunately, I found a decent local smoke shop and picked up a couple of LGC Wavells (thanks for planting that in my head cigarnv).

A night of sitting out, drinking Wild Turkey Rare Breed while enjoying that Wavell was a great way to melt away the stresses of the day.

JB64
04-23-2012, 23:33
My favorite is the Ashton VSG but due to the cost I don't get to smoke them as often as I would like. My current "value" smokes are from Cain.

cigarnv
04-24-2012, 07:58
Last evening I enjoyed a Fuente Don Carlos Presidente..... great old cigar....

JayMonster
04-29-2012, 15:53
A Partagas Cristal Tubo pairs up nicely with Devil's Cut as I cook up some pork on the grill.

cigarnv
05-01-2012, 10:34
http://img.tapatalk.com/477211b3-1e61-34c0.jpg

Luna flying pig......

JayMonster
05-07-2012, 04:44
Devil's game ended too late to really enjoy a top shelfer smoke, so I went with a Consuerga #9 Maduro. I paied it up with some EC12. Both were satisfactory if pedestrian of an experience. Sufficient though for the allotted for their enjoyment.

cigarnv
05-07-2012, 15:13
Cain F Lancero gifted by Fricky.... very nice cigar. Now why can't I find them???

Happyhour24x7
05-08-2012, 03:00
Selections from the weekend included a Hemingway Masterpiece Maduro, CAO Italia, and Torano Fortress.

clingman71
05-08-2012, 17:45
CAO America, tastes good, but a tight draw, Damn it I hate fighting a tight draw!

cigarnv
05-09-2012, 11:49
Last evening was a Partagas Corona... always a great cigar..

scubadoo97
05-09-2012, 16:28
The Party Corona is a classic. So much so that they HAD to drop the marca

Today I smoked a Trinidad Reyes and
a RASS

BourbonJoe
05-09-2012, 17:50
Had a Illusione "88" tonight. Nice smoke.

tsangster
05-09-2012, 18:10
Been enjoying a 5 pack of LGC Wavell. Possibly a box purchase in my future..

bllygthrd
05-09-2012, 19:11
Yesterday I had two:

A Hoya De Monterrey Presidente Maduro, and
A Padron 1926 Serie Number 1

cigarnv
05-12-2012, 02:22
Hamlet Salamone from 2004....

cigarnv
05-13-2012, 03:36
Juan Lopez #2 last evening from 2008..... always a sleeper, always good..

jtexaslonestar
05-15-2012, 20:38
Perdomo Champagne Noir is hitting the spot tonight!!!

cigarnv
05-16-2012, 03:54
2008 Upmann Conn. #1... hard not to like this "always on" classic

DeanSheen
05-16-2012, 07:45
I've been really enjoying the Namakubi line from Room 101. Very tasty, a shame they are limited production.

cigarnv
05-16-2012, 15:16
Santos Lancero 2012... young but tasty...

Vosgar
05-16-2012, 16:28
Perdomo Habano Maduro. I don't know a lot about cigars, but I know I like this one. Smooth draw, even burn, nice spiciness with some chocolate.

Gary

cigarnv
05-17-2012, 05:30
Finished last evening off with a Ramon Allones SCC.... great way to finish off the evening!!

cigarnv
05-18-2012, 06:26
Last evening a few of the local bourbon boys in the DC area got together at a friends place as Emerald was in town... lots of great bourbon, good food and cigars.

The best cigars of the night were Punch Punch from about 2002 and Ramon Allones RASS from 2003

cigarnv
05-19-2012, 03:39
Last evening we had a few folks over as an old friend was in town for a few days. We enjoyed a few dusties, several Willetts and a few drams of scotch.

Cigars enjoyed-

Juan Lopez #2
Trinidad Fundadores

cigarnv
05-19-2012, 16:20
Great evening.... enjoying a LGC Wavell.....

JayMonster
05-19-2012, 18:21
Mayorga Maduro Torpedo paired up with some Pure Kentucky XO.

cigarnv
05-20-2012, 04:18
Mayorga Maduro Torpedo paired up with some Pure Kentucky XO.

How are the Mayorga's these days? When Martin Mayorga was running the company they were always a solid value for a good cigar... guess he just does coffee now???

JayMonster
05-20-2012, 10:40
How are the Mayorga's these days? When Martin Mayorga was running the company they were always a solid value for a good cigar... guess he just does coffee now???

A little less of the Nicaraguan power these days than back when it was Martin's brand, or even the few years after Lew Rothman bought him out. (Yes, he is all about his coffee these days which is outstanding as well... I'm sort of surprised that no big company has come along and bought him out yet). But it is still an incredibly smooth taste with plenty of earth and leather flavors and even a hint of espresso. A great draw, particularly for a box pressed cigar makes it an easy choice for an affordable smoke to keep around.

cigarnv
05-20-2012, 14:01
A little less of the Nicaraguan power these days than back when it was Martin's brand, or even the few years after Lew Rothman bought him out. (Yes, he is all about his coffee these days which is outstanding as well... I'm sort of surprised that no big company has come along and bought him out yet). But it is still an incredibly smooth taste with plenty of earth and leather flavors and even a hint of espresso. A great draw, particularly for a box pressed cigar makes it an easy choice for an affordable smoke to keep around.

Appreciate the update... going to have to give them a try. These and the Maria Mancini's always seemed to be a solid choice for a great value stick...

Happyhour24x7
05-20-2012, 14:31
Enjoyed this weekend: La Gloria serie R, Perdomo champagne 10th anniversary, and a Padilla that came in the cigar club.

Frodo
05-21-2012, 00:27
I was finding some synergy with 601 Blue label and Corner Creek during the past week. Today though, it was a 601 La Bomba with some Innis & Gunn Highland Cask.

cigarnv
05-21-2012, 03:53
Last evening I enjoyed a Kristoff Sumatra Lancero that in all honesty exceeded my expectations. Big, rich and full bodied. Perfect construction. Worth seeking this line of cigars out IMO for a solid NC performer in the $8-11 range.

Special Reserve
05-21-2012, 16:11
Soon you won't be smoking (or using tobacco) if you want to be a new hire for my hospital.

Effective 7-1-2012 all new hires must test negative for nicotine and cotinine if they are to be hired.

No doubt the big bad insurance man is coming down hard.

smokinjoe
05-21-2012, 16:31
Well, what do you know. I must have been channeling the GCBM on Saturday, as I just picked up the label from the cigar I had that night, and realized it too was a Gurkha Cellar Reserve. I was gifted this recently from a neighbor. Big, fat thing, and a prodigious smoker. Kept the skeeters away. :D The label on this puppy has no equal. It's massive, and chock-ful-o info like: Blended at the K. Hansotia & Co "World Headquarters". Batch # 8582N. Restricted Release. Blend Strength 97.6%. Quantity # 20/K1967. Aged 15 Years. Authentic Mark of Honor. Dominican Puro. Then, there's also the paragraph on how great it is. I'm exhausted just reading it. But, it was a pretty good smoke.

cigarnv
05-22-2012, 05:05
Last evening I tried a San Lontano Maduro Lancero which was actually better than I expected it to be. A good solid cigar with nice tobacco flavors, medium strength and excellent construction. One of those great nights after a rain when everything is perfectly still and the heavy air causes your cigar smoke to just hang in the air before it slowly drifts away.... all is good!!

cigarnv
05-23-2012, 04:42
Another nice evening enjoyed on the patio with a cigar and libation. Cohiba 2011 EL aka "1966". Nice 2 hour cigar that was excellent but not worth the $$....

Happyhour24x7
05-23-2012, 07:51
came home from a business trip last night, and had a friend from out of town staying over. we enjoyed Partagas #4 with pours of Old Scout, OFBB, and a Wilett SB. nice way to end a trip.

cigarnv
05-26-2012, 04:22
Last evening I enjoyed a Punch SS#2... from the old days!!

nocoins
05-26-2012, 19:20
Upmann Magnum 46. Straight tobacco.

cigarnv
05-26-2012, 20:15
Partagas Serie D #3 and a Trini Fundadores...

jtexaslonestar
05-27-2012, 04:23
After a delicious meal from the grill, a Partagas 1845 that paired nicely with a Willet 4 yr rye. First time using my Shuriken as well. not sure how much difference there really is, but I definitely noticed the spiciness and/or light bitterness was absent from the cut, and the draw seemed no different.

Happyhour24x7
05-27-2012, 07:16
Found a Rocky Patel Rennaissance in the humidor,it must have come in the cigar club and I never noticed. It was a very dense, heavy stick, and I was concerned that it would have a tight draw, but it was fantastic. Slow, even burn with tons of smoke. Great flavor, medium to full bodied. I will definitely buy more of these when I see them.

cigarnv
05-27-2012, 12:36
Partagas Lonsdale from a dress box this afternoon..... great cigar

tsangster
05-27-2012, 14:16
SLR Reserva Especial. Third one of a 5-pack from CI. First 2 had limited time in the humidor and had burn issues. This one has been in the humi a couple of months, requires a great deal of attention to keep lit and tastes like a dirty ashtray. Getting a little better at the half but fighting a stogie is quite low on the list of things I enjoy.

clingman71
05-27-2012, 18:03
Cifuentes Partagas standing on Tybee Pier watching the storm roll in.

jtexaslonestar
05-27-2012, 18:19
Having a Vegafina robusto. Cigar store was having a promo so this one was free. Milder than i'd normally go for but not a bad smoke either. Definitely not strong enough to keep the bugs away. May have to fire up a joya de Nicaragua :grin:

cigarnv
05-28-2012, 06:50
Last evening was a Monte Especiale #1 and a Cohiba Siglo II

Khomeinist
05-28-2012, 14:59
Had a Quai D'Orsay gran corona last night with a few splashes of Crown XR. Was a solid evening.....

cigarnv
05-28-2012, 15:07
Had a Quai D'Orsay gran corona last night with a few splashes of Crown XR. Was a solid evening.....

Great cigar with a great Canadian... I assume the Waterloo bottle....

Khomeinist
05-28-2012, 15:22
Great cigar with a great Canadian... I assume the Waterloo bottle....

Yes. Friend of mine sourced a case for a steal. A very pleasant whiskey. Was a good pairing as the QDO is rather subtle and the XR did not overpower.

cigarnv
05-28-2012, 15:26
Yes. Friend of mine sourced a case for a steal. A very pleasant whiskey. Was a good pairing as the QDO is rather subtle and the XR did not overpower.

I suspect the XR Waterloo will sky rocket in price in the near future as I gather the Lasalle is now showing up on the shelves...

Tony
05-28-2012, 15:46
Monte 2 on this beautiful Memorial Day in Michigan. Perfect weather.

Bourbon Boiler
05-28-2012, 16:08
CAO Gold Robusto for this novice last night. A little light, but I'd always rather miss light than heavy.

JayMonster
05-28-2012, 17:01
Punch Presidente. I rarely have an opportunity to smoke something this big, so when the chance presented itself, I took full advantage.

Pairing it up with an OWA based Manhattan made all thoughts of grilling in the hot sun being "work" just drift away.

cigarnv
05-29-2012, 03:46
Last evening I enjoyed a Padilla 1932 Signature in the toro size. Very decent cigar...

cigarnv
05-29-2012, 21:43
El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme this evening while watching the rain fall.

Khomeinist
05-30-2012, 00:41
Got some ERDM pc in today. Like the CS as well, particularly from cabs.

Had a Quintero panatela and a glass of Powers. Was ok for a Tuesday Monday i suppose.

cigarnv
05-30-2012, 06:51
Got some ERDM pc in today. Like the CS as well, particularly from cabs.

Had a Quintero panatela and a glass of Powers. Was ok for a Tuesday Monday i suppose.

Anything from Havana works but the ERdM PC's ought to be delicious. Quitero is a nice little bargain cigar....

DeanSheen
05-31-2012, 09:02
I've really been liking the Jaime Garcia reserve Especial's lately and the Room 101 Namakubi Roxxo's.

Yesterday got a great deal on a bundle of Berger and Argenti Mooch Schnoors (Robusto's). The Mooch's are currently my favorite before noon smoke.

BourbonJoe
05-31-2012, 18:13
Had a Diesel Torpedo tonight. Full bodied and I found it to be decent.

Happyhour24x7
05-31-2012, 18:16
A fine night int the Commonwealth and I'm enjoying and 2011 5 Vega Limitada with a healthy pour of 4 Roses 120th followed by Weller 12. Awesome. The 2012s just got released and I will be ordering my box tomorrow.

rocky480
06-01-2012, 07:32
Since I was finally able to get home from the office before midnight yesterday, I decided to enjoy a Montecristo Classic Toro with a healthy number of Gosling's Black Seal and Cokes. The cigar was a little light, but an OK NC pick for my tastes. That made the work week a little more palatable.

DeanSheen
06-01-2012, 10:26
Had a Diesel Torpedo tonight. Full bodied and I found it to be decent.

Those are not bad but you should try the Diesel Corona's. A little stronger on the palette.

....and since you like your PA Broadleaf check out these guys.

http://www.flatbedcigarcompany.com/

tsangster
06-02-2012, 14:12
H. Upmann 1844 Reserve. A little tight on the draw but excellent burn and goes nicely with the HH BIB. Grabbed this and a couple others at the local cigar store yesterday. Then inavertently grabbed a second at the local package store walk-in (forgot what I had purchased in the 5 or so miles between the two locations). Probably one of the few mistakes I won't regret.

JayMonster
06-03-2012, 17:31
Went with a Montecristo Afrique Macheme tonight. The sweet Cameroon wrapper mixed with a spicy African tobacco core is a great change of pace from the Nicaraguan and Hondurans I normally stick with. It pairs well with most wheated Bourbons including tonight's initial choice of OWA.

BourbonJoe
06-03-2012, 17:42
Smoked a Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ Little Robusto tonight. Not for the faint hearted but a good smoke.

cigarnv
06-05-2012, 12:49
Last evening was a RyJ Exhibition #4 2006 .... always a good cigar...

Ejmharris
06-05-2012, 13:36
Last evening was a RyJ Exhibition #4 2006 .... always a good cigar...

Heading to a Perdomo tasting tonight sponsored by TPS then over to the Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar (just opened in Covington).

cigarnv
06-05-2012, 14:31
LGC Wavell as I type

cigarnv
06-05-2012, 15:06
Have moved on from the not so good Wavell which is quite unusual to a LGC Tanios from 2005/2006?? Now this is a nice cigar...

clingman71
06-05-2012, 18:54
Gurkha with some Old Rip, nice peaceful evening.

cigarnv
06-07-2012, 05:58
2008 Juan Lopez #1.... very nice for a young cigar!!

KYPayne
06-07-2012, 13:59
I smoke a couple cigars a week. I bought some Perdomos that were enjoyable. Is it weird that I prefer maduro wrappers over anything else?

clingman71
06-07-2012, 15:26
Bolivar #1 Havana, gift from a well-travelled friend. Enjoying this immensely with a healthy pour of PVW 15, prepping for the Avett Brothers show tonight.

BourbonJoe
06-07-2012, 17:30
Is it weird that I prefer maduro wrappers over anything else?

Not at all.I concur.

bllygthrd
06-07-2012, 20:10
Illusione cg:4 [two actually] with a Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) ... very nice

JayMonster
06-08-2012, 04:48
I smoke a couple cigars a week. I bought some Perdomos that were enjoyable. Is it weird that I prefer maduro wrappers over anything else?

I certainly don't think so. The rich taste imparted by a Madison wrapper is certainly hard rock beat, and unlike Cameroon or Corojo wrappers, you don't have to spend a fortune to get good quality.

Speaking of which, after almost 2 weeks of lousy weather, I was finally babble to sit out last night and enjoy a pour of Knob Creek with a Consuerga #9 Mauro. These "seconds" are nothing short of fabulous... deep, dark and toothy maduros for under $2 a stick don't make me compromise taste for price.

KYPayne
06-09-2012, 18:34
I really need to broaden my cigar horizons. I've never found quality cigars for that cheap, but then again I usually just buy my cigars from the liquor store I frequent. I've bought few cigars there, that were very difficult to keep lit. The last time I went there they had a humidifier in the humidor. I need to find a real tobacconist. I'm sure the pricing, selection, and storage will be better.

bllygthrd
06-09-2012, 19:44
A Casa Fernandez Aganorsa Leaf Robusto ... the poor man's Padron.

jtexaslonestar
06-09-2012, 21:36
Spent an hour+ with a Perdomo Champagne Noir. What a nice cigar to go with my pours of bourbon or rye. Couldn't find my Shuriken so I improvised with a new straight blade. Damn fine burn.

cigarnv
06-10-2012, 14:51
ERdM Choix Supreme ... great AM smoke...

Bourbon Boiler
06-10-2012, 19:09
Had a cheapo last night, but I noticed it was very dry. Time to condition the ole humidor.

Happyhour24x7
06-12-2012, 03:21
Smoked a Black Pearl with a Cameroon wrapper Friday, and one of the new 2012 Limitadas from 5 Vegas Saturday. The BP was decent, the Limitada excellent. Went mild on Sunday with a 5 Vegas Gold.

cigarnv
06-14-2012, 04:17
Last night was a Punch SS #1..... a tough cigar to beat in a great format..

Ejmharris
06-14-2012, 08:02
Last night was a Perdomo Habana. It started a little rough for me but ended very nice. Had a great burn though, pretty much kept the ash on it until I put cigar out (25-30 minutes).

clingman71
06-14-2012, 18:54
CAO La Traviata robusto with some Old Rip, great combination, both accentuating the other without being too bold or overpowering each other.

cigarnv
06-15-2012, 05:52
HdM du Roi.......

tsangster
06-17-2012, 13:35
Don Pepin Garcia Vegas Cubana paired with Old Fitz BIB. Nice.

Happyhour24x7
06-17-2012, 16:04
So far today: Padron 64 Anniversario and 5 Vegas gold.

JayMonster
06-17-2012, 16:08
Genuine Counterfeit Cuban with the last of my Bulleit Rye.

BourbonJoe
06-17-2012, 16:24
Tonight I had a Alec Bradley Prensado Churchill. This cigar was rated 96 by CA and chosen as the 2011 Cigar Of The Year. I can see why. This cigar was absolutely stunning.

Vosgar
06-17-2012, 17:08
Gurkha Beauty double perfecto with some '84 AA. Very nice combination IMHO.

Gary

cigarnv
06-17-2012, 18:11
Carlos values fat robusto 2012

jtexaslonestar
06-17-2012, 18:43
LFD double ligero toro

Clavius
06-19-2012, 23:39
Just smoked two Cohiba Pequenos little cigars. Not sure what the consensus is on these, as I'm far from an expert, but they're not bad.

JayMonster
06-20-2012, 04:52
Just smoked two Cohiba Pequenos little cigars. Not sure what the consensus is on these, as I'm far from an expert, but they're not bad.

Like it is with Bourbon, nobody is more of an expert in what you like than you are.

That being said, it really depends on which Cohiba it is... as there are three.

1. Cuban Cohibas - difficult to get in the US, usually a very good cigar, but has some quality issues and the risk of fakes is high. Expensive... but when you get a good one, they are damn near perfect.

2. Dominican Cohibas - similar band as the Cubans, very light taste, almost boring. The only time I smoke these is when somebody gives them to me thinking that the name Cohiba means it is a top cigar, and I don't want to appear ungrateful.

3. Honduran Cohibas. Made in Honduras (obviously) by General Cigar. Easy to spot because they have a red dot in the "O" in the name on the band. Also the band is completely different from the other 2. Rich flavor. Much better than the Dominican, not as good as the Cubans, but far more consistent and without the risk of fakes. A bit more expensive than I care to spend, there are other things I would be more likely to get for the price.

To put it in bourbon terms, the Cubans is like Pappy 20, the hard to get standard that all others are measured by, but you aren't sure if you are getting S-W or BT juice. The Dominican would be more like Rebel Yell, a weak watered down replica and the Honduran would be Maker's Mark, a quality product that while not up to Pappy is good in its own right, if a bit overpriced for what it is.

But, cigars like bourbon has a high YMMV factor to it. So smoke what you like and like what you smoke.