PDA

View Full Version : So what is everyone smoking?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

cigarnv
06-20-2012, 10:48
Like it is with Bourbon, nobody is more of an expert in what you like than you are.

That being said, it really depends on which Cohiba it is... as there are three.

1. Cuban Cohibas - difficult to get in the US, usually a very good cigar, but has some quality issues and the risk of fakes is high. Expensive... but when you get a good one, they are damn near perfect.

2. Dominican Cohibas - similar band as the Cubans, very light taste, almost boring. The only time I smoke these is when somebody gives them to me thinking that the name Cohiba means it is a top cigar, and I don't want to appear ungrateful.

3. Honduran Cohibas. Made in Honduras (obviously) by General Cigar. Easy to spot because they have a red dot in the "O" in the name on the band. Also the band is completely different from the other 2. Rich flavor. Much better than the Dominican, not as good as the Cubans, but far more consistent and without the risk of fakes. A bit more expensive than I care to spend, there are other things I would be more likely to get for the price.

To put it in bourbon terms, the Cubans is like Pappy 20, the hard to get standard that all others are measured by, but you aren't sure if you are getting S-W or BT juice. The Dominican would be more like Rebel Yell, a weak watered down replica and the Honduran would be Maker's Mark, a quality product that while not up to Pappy is good in its own right, if a bit overpriced for what it is.

But, cigars like bourbon has a high YMMV factor to it. So smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

Very well stated!!

Whiskey Willie
06-20-2012, 13:45
I started on a box of Fonseca 1907s, petit corona size . . . A nice and easy quick smoke. Not bad for a box of 50 for $65.

jtexaslonestar
06-20-2012, 18:07
After two grueling weeks of 13-18 hr days at the course, I stopped by TobaccoWorld (what a selection!) and I picked up 3 stogies for the upcoming weekend: JdN Antaņo Dark Corojo, Tatuaje Fausto Robusto, and Fuente Opus X Chateau de la Fuente. Come on, Friday!!!

cigarnv
06-20-2012, 18:19
After two grueling weeks of 13-18 hr days at the course, I stopped by TobaccoWorld (what a selection!) and I picked up 3 stogies for the upcoming weekend: JdN Antaņo Dark Corojo, Tatuaje Fausto Robusto, and Fuente Opus X Chateau de la Fuente. Come on, Friday!!!

That young Opus will wake you up..... All good sticks.

jtexaslonestar
06-20-2012, 18:29
That young Opus will wake you up..... All good sticks.

I was excited to see them. I have never seen them, but this shop was the best I have seen in my neck of the woods.

JayMonster
06-23-2012, 22:55
Montecristo Afrique with some WTRB has kept me happily entertained.

cigarnv
06-24-2012, 11:52
Room 101 Namakubi that was gifted by a friend. 42 x 4". Great little cigars. A real powerhouse!

Happyhour24x7
06-26-2012, 18:48
Perdomo 10th anniversary champagne ( one of my favorites) on the deck tonight. It is a beautiful night in the commonwealth. Thought it worthy of pouring some closely hoarded Black Maple Hill 16.

bllygthrd
06-26-2012, 19:17
Smoking and giving away a large number of Romeo and Julieta Reserva Real Cigars ... in celebration of my new Granddaughter, Clare! Chose this cigar because it appeals to the broadest spectrum of cigar smokers.

fricky
06-27-2012, 05:38
One of my favorite cigars continues to be an Illusione 88.

cigarnv
06-27-2012, 15:59
Pous X Power Ranger that was gifted to me ...... I still miss why folks go gaga over these....????

BourbonJoe
06-27-2012, 17:38
One of my favorite cigars continues to be an Illusione 88.
I smoked one tonight. Very nice cigar.
Joe :usflag:

Happyhour24x7
06-27-2012, 19:35
CAO Cameroon on the deck before the misery rolls in tomorrow.

cigarnv
06-28-2012, 04:55
CAO Cameroon on the deck before the misery rolls in tomorrow.

LOL..... it is going to be one hot weekend!!!

Vosgar
06-30-2012, 22:58
Camacho Coyolar Puro. Very nice, but it keeps dropping the ash on me. Could be operator error :grin:

moose
07-01-2012, 12:28
Padron #5000, one of my favorites.

JayMonster
07-03-2012, 22:43
Pous X Power Ranger that was gifted to me ...... I still miss why folks go gaga over these....????

Think of them as the Pappy 23 (though slightly easier to find) of the cigar world.

People go crazy over them, because they think they are supposed to... whether they like them or not.

(Please note, I am not saying Pappy 23 is bad, I am talking about people who go gaga over it simply because it is "Pappy" and they read somewhere that it is the best... not that they could tell the difference.)

JayMonster
07-03-2012, 22:49
La Finca Maduro (the old ones, not the new "blacks") paired up with a healthy pour (on the rocks) of Rare Breed.

KYPayne
07-05-2012, 17:46
I smoked a Perdomo Champagne Maduro last night. I've smoked about 3 in the last couple weeks plus a Perdomo Champagne natural. I prefer the natural wrapper though I am typically partial to maduros.

JayMonster
07-06-2012, 07:28
I smoked a Perdomo Champagne Maduro last night. I've smoked about 3 in the last couple weeks plus a Perdomo Champagne natural. I prefer the natural wrapper though I am typically partial to maduros.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Champagne line as they are in general too mild for me, so but the Champagne Noir with the bourbon barrel aged maduro makes for a nice change of pace... Though it is still a bit less rich than most maduro that I have had. This could factor into why you like the natural more... You may be expecting more from the maduro and it just isn't fully there taste wise.

cigarnv
07-07-2012, 17:14
2008 Phoenicia Ramon Allones 30Th. anniversary.

clingman71
07-08-2012, 20:03
First evening cool enough to sit outside in quite awhile. Enjoying my father's day gift cigar, Maker's 650.

JayMonster
07-08-2012, 21:06
Tried my first Bolivar Cofradio (I still have more Bolivar Fuertes from before the name change, and but decided to give the new ones a chance). This really reminded me why I love cigars that are packed in cedar cabinets over those in pretty boxes. It is every bit of the powerhouse I remember it being when Estelo Padron first made these for JR Cigars. Rich, and earthy, and powerful and plenty of cedar spice... It never got bitter and was delicious right down to the nub. Definitely not for the beginner, as it can overwhelm the palate. Pairs up well with a solid bourbon, such as the Knob Creek I am enjoying it with tonight.

Gillman
07-09-2012, 06:02
I wasn't smoking but two people were, next to me at a party here (Toronto). On the table were Blanton Gold and Buffalo Trace (no comparison tasted side by side like that, the Gold easily won with its intense focused yet elegant taste). So it reminded me of a Gazebo, where many smoke cigars as the sipping proceeds. At the Gazebos, I find the smell and scent later (on clothes) of the cigars very strong - not complaining, it's part of the experience and it wouldn't be the same without it - but it's an overpowering, pungent hit for those not accustomed.

On this occasion, while I certainly noticed the smoke, it didn't have the same strong effect. The smell too was different, in a way I find hard to describe, but I said to myself, this isn't like at Gazebo. My clothes after had the odor but it was much lighter than what I recall in Bardstown.

I asked the gent who brought the cigars what they were, he said, Cohibas from Cuba. They were about 7 inches long and as thick as a quarter I'd say.

I don't know anything about cigars but am wondering now if the Cuban originals are lighter and milder in effect than cigars made elsewhere. Or is it just the type of cigar he brought? That is, I assume there are different types and grades in Cuba as well...

Gary

KYPayne
07-09-2012, 08:05
I'm not the biggest fan of the Champagne line as they are in general too mild for me, so but the Champagne Noir with the bourbon barrel aged maduro makes for a nice change of pace... Though it is still a bit less rich than most maduro that I have had. This could factor into why you like the natural more... You may be expecting more from the maduro and it just isn't fully there taste wise.

My biggest issue with finding cigars is that I can't determine which cigars are full-bodied or mild. I don't really have a point of reference as far as what a full bodied cigar tastes like because I don't know if I've found a full bodied cigar. Cigars that I find on the internet that tend to be full bodied aren't necessarily the ones that I find at the store.

jtexaslonestar
07-09-2012, 20:16
Started an Alec Bradley Tempus working in the garden, and now enjoying it watching Nature's fireworks from afar. What an awesome smoke it has been!

Clavius
07-11-2012, 23:29
Just smoked an Oliva Serie V belicoso. Not too impressed with this one, to be honest. Just kind of... boring. Wasn't bad per se but it just didn't blow me away. Not sure what I was expecting.

Draw was kind of tight. But I may not have cut it far enough.

JayMonster
07-12-2012, 05:48
I asked the gent who brought the cigars what they were, he said, Cohibas from Cuba. They were about 7 inches long and as thick as a quarter I'd say.

I don't know anything about cigars but am wondering now if the Cuban originals are lighter and milder in effect than cigars made elsewhere. Or is it just the type of cigar he brought? That is, I assume there are different types and grades in Cuba as well...

Gary

A few things here.

1. If this story was based in the US, I would question the authenticity of the Cohibas, but am less inclined to do so since Cuban are legal in Canada. (Yet still Cohibas is one of the most knocked off brands in the world)

2. There is no hard and fast rules as to what makes one cigar "stinkier" than another. That being said, milder cigars tend to have less bite in both flavor AND smell. That is partly why brands like Macanudo (and Cohiba) are the best selling.
It is like Jim Beam White... Not particularly exciting, but simple non-offensive enough for most.

3. And of course, amount of exposure (time) as well as the mixture of different tobaccos around you. Two guys smoking Cohibas is going to smell less offensive than 10 (or more) people smoking a variety of things, just as the smell of bourbon is good, but blend that in with the smell of what everybody else is drinking and... Well... Does anybody like the smell of a bar the next morning?

This is oversimplified for the sake of (relative) brevity, and to sum it up... No you cannot assume based on country of origin that a cigar is good (taste or smell) any more than you can assume a bourbon is good based on the town where it is distilled.

JayMonster
07-12-2012, 06:27
My biggest issue with finding cigars is that I can't determine which cigars are full-bodied or mild. I don't really have a point of reference as far as what a full bodied cigar tastes like because I don't know if I've found a full bodied cigar. Cigars that I find on the internet that tend to be full bodied aren't necessarily the ones that I find at the store.

Even if you don't know at the time, I would think it would be difficult at least afterwards to find a cigar that hasn't been reviewed by somebody on the Internet.

Browsing a store for a cigar is not much different than browsing for bourbon. There are always the brands I know and trust (Fuente, Punch, Macanudo, etc), and then there is the rest. There are two ways through those, either trial and error or research. When in doubt, the or faced with a brand I don't know, I will usually stick with the known. Life is too short for wasting on a bad cigar.

Clavius
07-12-2012, 19:50
Smoked the Oliva Cain Daytona Double Toro earlier. I wasn't sure what to expect from it. But it turned it to be a pretty mellow and enjoyable smoke. I couldn't finish the whole thing as I generally just don't have the patience for a cigar that lasts more than an hour. But I enjoyed what I did smoke of it.

Happyhour24x7
07-13-2012, 04:29
Smoked an Alec Bradley Prensado last night. This was Cigar Aficianados cigar of the year, so I was really looking forward to trying this. It had a beautiful reddish brown wrapper, and was box pressed; a gorgeous stick. After some significant spicieness on lighting, it settled into clouds of rich, full bodied smoke for the rest of the evening. Halfway through, it burned a little unevenly and self-extinguished a couple of times, but lit right back up with little increase in tar. While slightly too powerful to take the place of my favorite cigar, it was undoubtably one of the best cigars I've ever smoked.

jtexaslonestar
07-14-2012, 08:42
Smoked the Oliva Cain Daytona Double Toro earlier. I wasn't sure what to expect from it. But it turned it to be a pretty mellow and enjoyable smoke. I couldn't finish the whole thing as I generally just don't have the patience for a cigar that lasts more than an hour. But I enjoyed what I did smoke of it.

Just asked about this on your thread. If you want a shorter smoke, try a different size if they offer. The Daytona I was going to pick up was a Torpedo, but they had Robustos and the Double Toro available. I mainly smoke robustos unless I have more than an hour and a half to relax.

jtexaslonestar
07-14-2012, 09:11
relaxing on the front porch with a Oliva Series V torpedo before making one last run through the garden, and then start pickling peppers.

JayMonster
07-14-2012, 20:57
I have so much in my humidor and coolidor, yet time after time, and I keep reaching for a Mayorga Maduro Torp. Inexpensive and tasty and never fails to satisfy. Paired up again tonight with some WTRB, neither overpowers the other and is a great way to end the day and at the same time not break the bank.

jtexaslonestar
07-14-2012, 21:10
Smoking my first CAO tonight. The OSA sol line has been very nice to me and a beautiful night to boot.

Clavius
07-14-2012, 21:11
Getting ready to smoke a Rocky Patel Fifteenth Anniversary here in a few minutes. I'll let you all know what I think later.

clingman71
07-14-2012, 21:11
Padron anniversario 1926 with wheated Willett 17 yr, beautiful combo

Clavius
07-14-2012, 21:16
Padron anniversario 1926 with wheated Willett 17 yr, beautiful combo

Super jealous! :cool:

Clavius
07-14-2012, 22:42
Getting ready to smoke a Rocky Patel Fifteenth Anniversary here in a few minutes. I'll let you all know what I think later.

Honestly, I don't know what the general consensus is here pertaining to Rocky Patel cigars... but, the Fifteenth Anniversary that I just smoked was absolutely incredible. Now granted, I haven't smoked too many cigars. The Fifteenth Anniversary was just perfect. Second best cigar I've smoked after the Padron 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo. Just creamy, chocolatey and mellow in my opinion. I will definitely be going back to pick up a few more of these once I get the humidor up and running!

Ejmharris
07-15-2012, 07:11
Honestly, I don't know what the general consensus is here pertaining to Rocky Patel cigars... but, the Fifteenth Anniversary that I just smoked was absolutely incredible. Now granted, I haven't smoked too many cigars. The Fifteenth Anniversary was just perfect. Second best cigar I've smoked after the Padron 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo. Just creamy, chocolatey and mellow in my opinion. I will definitely be going back to pick up a few more of these once I get the humidor up and running!

Not sure about general consensus either, but I have liked everything I have smoked by him.

Happyhour24x7
07-15-2012, 19:03
Not sure about general consensus either, but I have liked everything I have smoked by him.
Yeah, he certainly does have a gifted blending sense. Very few of his lines disappoint, and most of them exceed expectations at a reasonable price point. Count me as a fan.

JayMonster
07-16-2012, 18:47
You guys make me almost want to give Rocky Patel another try... almost.

But I was so put off by his cigars, back when they were called Indian Tabac, and even when he first changed the name, that I put them aside and never looked back.

Patel, a former lawyer to the stars, certainly knows marketing, and he used his connections to promote his cigars.

He doesn't actually make cigars... he contracts them from Nestor Placencia. And while Placencia makes some good cigars, I have found most of what he makes to be inconsistent. Some lines come consistently loosely rolled, others have a tight draw to almost being plugged more often than I care.

But perhaps with the cigar glut, they have improved.

But while they may have gotten better, there are far too many brands out there that I know are good to be bothered.

smokinjoe
07-16-2012, 20:04
I've enjoyed every Rocky Patel brand that I have ever tried. Have never had one that didn't draw flawlessly, burn evenly, and taste wonderfully. Not expensive, and readily available. Plus, he's a very gracious and approachable guy. I've been at cigar events where it's packed, and he has always taken time to chat, sign boxes, and genuinely seem interested in my opinions. I like the man, and I like his cigars. Listen, if you're the kind of person who stops in the cigar shop now and again to pick up a few smokes (that's me), it's hard to go wrong with RP's.

JayMonster
07-16-2012, 20:44
If my comments on Rocky Patel came across harsh, I am sorry. It was not intended as such. It is just my opinion with some extra facts thrown in, intended to enlighten, not be harsh.

I don't know, nor have I ever met Rocky Patel, and I don't hold anything against him... I just didn't care for his cigars when I tried them.

Clavius
07-16-2012, 21:33
If my comments on Rocky Patel came across harsh, I am sorry. It was not intended as such. It is just my opinion with some extra facts thrown in, intended to enlighten, not be harsh.

I don't know, nor have I ever met Rocky Patel, and I don't hold anything against him... I just didn't care for his cigars when I tried them.

Not harsh at all. Personally, I value your input and look forward to reading your comments whenever I see that you've posted in the Smokes section of the site.

Taste is SO subjective though. And my palate with cigars is beginner level, at best. Maybe a year or so from now I could smoke the same Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary and find it atrocious. Who knows?

I'm always looking for recommendations though. I even joined the forums over at Cigar Aficionado's website!

smokinjoe
07-16-2012, 21:56
I don't know why you thought your opinions might be construed as harsh. You simply offered one, just like everyone else?

Happyhour24x7
07-17-2012, 04:54
Smokinjoe's comments are right on the mark, matching my experience. Jaymonster, your comments were not news to me either, and didnt come across as harsh in my mind. My comment is that very simply, if you haven't tried any since Indian Tabac, it's probably worth giving some of these a shot. I would put the '90 and '92 vintage and the Decade lines on top. There was one with a purple band called Royal Vintage, I think, that didn't turn me on, and the sun grown line was not to my personal tastes. Yes, there are a lot of good smokes out there, but I would these couple of blends up there above many of them.

JayMonster
07-17-2012, 12:56
I don't know why you thought your opinions might be construed as harsh. You simply offered one, just like everyone else?

When I re-read it (my comment)... I realized it sounded a bit "dry" and thought saw that it could have been construed that way, and I just wanted to ensure it wasn't taken as such.

JayMonster
07-17-2012, 14:02
Alright, you guys convinced me... I am not one to buy singles (usually), but fortunately I have a business trip to Baltimore which affords me more time than usual to smoke, so I am going to give Rocky another chance (assuming the shop has one).

Clavius
07-17-2012, 22:54
Bought a La Gloria Cubana Wavell today along with a Partagas Naturales. Didn't want to buy anything pricey. My humidor will be delivered today and it will take a few days to season before I can use it.

Still, I can't decide which one of these el cheapos I want to smoke tonight...

Clavius
07-18-2012, 00:16
Smoked the Partagas... and it was booooooring!

Clavius
07-18-2012, 22:05
I think I just found the perfect cigar for me, the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story. Tempted to order a box of 'em.

JB64
07-18-2012, 22:42
I've enjoyed every Rocky Patel brand that I have ever tried. Have never had one that didn't draw flawlessly, burn evenly, and taste wonderfully. Not expensive, and readily available. Plus, he's a very gracious and approachable guy. I've been at cigar events where it's packed, and he has always taken time to chat, sign boxes, and genuinely seem interested in my opinions. I like the man, and I like his cigars. Listen, if you're the kind of person who stops in the cigar shop now and again to pick up a few smokes (that's me), it's hard to go wrong with RP's.

I agree with everything you stated about RP cigars and Rocky himself. I met him at an event in KC last weekend and found him to be very friendly and he at least seemed interested in talking to me for a few minutes. The store was running a buy three get one free deal on his cigars that I took advantage of. This was the first time I had tried a RP cigar and enjoyed it very much, good PV ratio.

JayMonster
07-19-2012, 12:51
Smoked the Partagas... and it was booooooring!

The only Partagas I typically will smoke is Partagas Black. It is a more full bodied flavored than the regular Partagas line.

JayMonster
07-19-2012, 12:56
I think I just found the perfect cigar for me, the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story. Tempted to order a box of 'em.

The Short Story is one of my favorite small cigars. But like anything else, if you smoke it too often it is no longer special. Unless you are finding some really great price on it, I wouldn't bother on a box just yet. Pehaps shop online a grab a 5 pack (or two) so you have some, and at a lower price per stick, but without the commitment (and storage requirements) of a full box.

JayMonster
07-19-2012, 13:20
Here is what I packed in the Traveldor for my trip and plan to smoke over the next couple of days (unless the smoke shop has something outstanding).

Genuine Counterfeit Cuban (box pressed, smooth, just to the bolder side of medium, fantastic value)
Montecruz Negra Cubana (a fantastic and low priced cigar that has unfortunately been discontinued as far as I can tell)
Genuine 1958 Counterfeit Cuban (initial release, before the finalized bands were done - about 10 years in my humidor)
Mayorga Maduro Torp (inexpensive, medium-Full, plenty of spice and cocoa)
Montecristo Peruvian (Stronger and more flavorful than typical Montecristo)
Arturo Fuente Short Story (Best made cigar on the planet)
Bolivar Cofradia (Two Hours of robust smoking bliss - not for the meek, milder smoker)

Clavius
07-20-2012, 22:59
The Short Story is one of my favorite small cigars. But like anything else, if you smoke it too often it is no longer special. Unless you are finding some really great price on it, I wouldn't bother on a box just yet. Pehaps shop online a grab a 5 pack (or two) so you have some, and at a lower price per stick, but without the commitment (and storage requirements) of a full box.

Very good points. When the humidor is finished seasoning I will definitely pick up a couple more Short Stories to hang onto.

Happyhour24x7
07-21-2012, 07:39

I both agree and disagree, Jay. While most people, including myself, like trying various smokes and mixing it up; there is also validity in finding your perfect stick and making it your regular. Familiarity doesn't necessarily breed a diminution of the pleasure of enjoying the smoke. The short story is particularly suited for that; it is a fantastic smoke, readily available, and reasonably priced. The storage point is valid, depending on your humidor size; but I certainly always keep a box on hand.

JayMonster
07-23-2012, 08:43
I both agree and disagree, Jay. While most people, including myself, like trying various smokes and mixing it up; there is also validity in finding your perfect stick and making it your regular. Familiarity doesn't necessarily breed a diminution of the pleasure of enjoying the smoke. The short story is particularly suited for that; it is a fantastic smoke, readily available, and reasonably priced. The storage point is valid, depending on your humidor size; but I certainly always keep a box on hand.

I don't disagree with anything you say here. But for a relatively new smoker (as Clavius is) who is still finding his way through (and with a brand new humidor of yet unknown ability to hold humidity) I think in the short term he would benefit in waiting. I mean it is like when I found Jim Beam Black. It was so good compared with every other bourbon I had tried to that point, it was, at the time, the best bourbon on the planet to me. And I could have loaded myself down with a case or two, but fortunately I did not, as it was good, but as I now know, there are other things I enjoy more, and while I still like having it, I am certainly glad I am not sitting on a case of it.

Yes, it is true that a Short Story is a great cigar (and higher up the food chain than JBB), and that is why I didn't say he shouldn't have some on hand, but there is something to be said about not throwing all your eggs in one basket... especially early on while still exploring.

JayMonster
07-23-2012, 09:08
Darn weather in Baltimore this weekend kept me from smoking anywhere near as much as I intended.

Only got through the Consuerga (my favorite Cheapie), and the Mayorga Maduro. Going to have to spend some time catching up this week.

Happyhour24x7
07-23-2012, 09:18
don't disagree with that either, just two different approaches. now, before we get nailed for thread jacking, what did you smoke this weekend? since it was kind of rainy, I was only able to squeeze in a...wait for it.... Short Story!

p_elliott
07-23-2012, 10:24
don't disagree with that either, just two different approaches. now, before we get nailed for thread jacking, what did you smoke this weekend? since it was kind of rainy, I was only able to squeeze in a...wait for it.... Short Story!

:iagreejeff::thankyousign:

Clavius
07-23-2012, 13:20
I smoked a Short Story, one of the two I bought the other day. Just didn't feel like smoking anything that took longer. Looking forward to picking up some different sticks here soon. The humidor is up and running and seems to be holding steady. So far I'm pretty happy with it.

cigarnv
07-23-2012, 17:15
2007 Ramon Allones Specialty Select... Always a pleasure to smoke

tsangster
07-24-2012, 15:00
Had an Alec Bradley American Classic Blend Sunday afternoon. This was the fourth out of a 5-pack from CI. Wasn't impressed with the first two but the last two were quite good. Beginning to see a trend - CI smokes may require more time in the humi.

BourbonJoe
07-24-2012, 19:57
Had a Gurkha Spec Ops SRS Limited Edition tonight. Not a bad cigar.

Vosgar
07-24-2012, 20:49
Partagas 1845 Gigante...... nice cigar

Gary

Vosgar
07-26-2012, 20:52
Art Deco from Miami Cigar tonight. Good, but I think it needed a little more time in the humidor.

Nestor Miranda is going to be at a local cigar shop tomorrow night, any recommendations on his other products?

Gary

BourbonJoe
07-26-2012, 21:47
Gary, he has some pretty good Maduro stuff.

Clavius
07-26-2012, 21:50
Just smoked a Padron 6000. Pretty decent smoke, imho. I think I like these torpedo/belicoso type cigars. They sure are easier to cut!

Clavius
07-29-2012, 19:21
Smoked a Partagas Black Label Clasico last night. A little more full-bodied smoke than I'm used to but I still enjoyed it. I had some issues with the burn but I think that was attributable to the fact that I'm using a regular lighter and/or matches to toast/light my cigars right now. I'll have a torch lighter soon.

jtexaslonestar
07-29-2012, 19:32
Padron 3000 hit the spot today! Ranks very high with anything I have smoked so far, and I def. know that I have an affinity for Nica sticks.

JayMonster
08-03-2012, 04:54
Padron 3000 hit the spot today! Ranks very high with anything I have smoked so far, and I def. know that I have an affinity for Nica sticks.

Personally, once I got started with Nicaraguan cigars, my penchant for Cuban tobacco waned quite a bit. As far as I am concerned it is as good if not better than anything else out there.

JayMonster
08-03-2012, 04:56
Smoked a Partagas Black Label Clasico last night. A little more full-bodied smoke than I'm used to but I still enjoyed it. I had some issues with the burn but I think that was attributable to the fact that I'm using a regular lighter and/or matches to toast/light my cigars right now. I'll have a torch lighter soon.

You are stepping up in strength quite quickly, and I am almost surprised to hat you didn't find it too strong. That being said, Partagas blacks are some great cigars.

Clavius
08-03-2012, 18:38
You are stepping up in strength quite quickly, and I am almost surprised to hat you didn't find it too strong. That being said, Partagas blacks are some great cigars.
I definitely found it to be stronger. But not overwhelmingly so. I thought it was a decent smoke but there are too many others to try so I'm avoiding buying repeats unless it is something I find to be exceptional (like a Short Story).

In other news I got a nice torch lighter so lighting sticks will be much easier.

JayMonster
08-03-2012, 20:36
La Gloria Cubana Series R and some OWA

smokinjoe
08-03-2012, 21:01
Plain ol' Captain Black in my little ol' pipe, while listening to the Braves on the radio in the garage.

jtexaslonestar
08-03-2012, 21:52
Enjoying the nice night on the deck with a Casa Magna Colorado Torito while watching the Hall County Nature's Fireworks, glad its not at my house.:grin: Edit: I should mention I am watching the WLOCP 2011 on YouTube. Go Dawgs!!!

Happyhour24x7
08-04-2012, 07:08
CAO Extreme Cameroon on a deck in Breckinridge after hiking yesterday. Gorgeous view, and good cigar, but it didn't smoke as well as these guys normally do. No real complaints though.

Clavius
08-04-2012, 17:30
A Padron 2000 last night.

Clavius
08-05-2012, 23:05
Ashton VSG Belicoso No.1 tonight.

Clavius
08-08-2012, 20:13
Padron 1964 Anniversary Principe Maduro. Very smooth chocolate and cream. Wonderful cigar.

JayMonster
08-08-2012, 20:18
Consuega #9 - got to pick up a bundle of these before vacation.

Happyhour24x7
08-09-2012, 03:11
On a business trip, and on recommendation from a local shop, smoked a Savinelli last night. It was very flavorful, medium to full bodied, and smoked beautifully. Nice choice that I otherwise would have overlooked.

Clavius
08-10-2012, 22:46
Rocky Patel Fifteenth Anniversary Robusto. Quite possibly one of my favorite smokes. I'm slowly buying up all of these from a local shop.

Happyhour24x7
08-11-2012, 08:17
Smoked a Tatuaje last night. This is the first of these I've had, and I have to say I liked it. Smoked well and even, full flavored without overpowering strength.

Clavius
08-12-2012, 23:27
Just smoked a Hemingway Short Story... and honestly, it tasted like cardboard. Not sure what the deal was. Maybe just a bad stick?

JayMonster
08-13-2012, 07:45
Just smoked a Hemingway Short Story... and honestly, it tasted like cardboard. Not sure what the deal was. Maybe just a bad stick?

unfortunately a bad one can happen to any cigar, but my first thought is... it was too dry. Did it burn hot? (and maybe quick?)

JayMonster
08-13-2012, 07:51
Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra. Fished this out of the humidor looking for something different. Forgot just how good these are.

Happyhour24x7
08-14-2012, 18:41
Jay, never had those hoyos, can you describe?

Happyhour24x7
08-14-2012, 19:24
Oh, should have mentioned, smoked a Alec Bradley Tempus panatella last night on an uncharacteristcally nice August night in the Commonwealth. Super spicy and powerful out of the gat, similar to the Prensado Churchill. The spice gave way, but it stayed a strong smoke through the end. Burned well, but did have a hard time staying lit if you didn't keep puffing. I really like this size cigar; it just feels elegant in a way the thicker cigars don't. Pity not many are made these days.

bllygthrd
08-14-2012, 19:45
An Illusione CG4 ... nutty with a spectacular earthy maduro wrapper and a very nutty flavor .. finished it off with a toothpick ... didn't want to snuff it out.

Clavius
08-16-2012, 22:26
La Aroma di Cuba Mi Amor belicoso

Pretty good stick.

JayMonster
08-17-2012, 12:48
Jay, never had those hoyos, can you describe?

Sorry, I took so long to get back to this, I missed it initally.

Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra, is one of those cigars that really goes after the essence of a cuban cigar taste. First of all each cigar is wrapped in an indivual cedar sleeve. The Ecuador Sumatra Wrapper on this is so dark that it is almost a Maduro, but once you put it to your lips, even before lighting it, the flavors of dark fruit, like dates or dried figs immediate get you. Lighting it up, you don't so much of the sweet so much as you get a smoothly velvety leather, earth and a bit of Dark Chocolate. There is some spice in there too, and it is very full bodied without being too "strong". It is very consistent throughout only getting just a bit bitter near the nub... which I don't alway know about, because there are very few cigars that I go down to the nub on... but this one, you just don't want to end once you start smoking it (OK... maybe it is just me... but it is a damn fine, cuban style flavor, rich and pleasurable). It runs between 6 and 8 dollars around here (for the Media Noche), and it is one of the few cigars this price that I will say is vastly underpriced.

Happyhour24x7
08-17-2012, 18:21
Sorry, I took so long to get back to this, I missed it initally.

Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra, is one of those cigars that really goes after the essence of a cuban cigar taste. First of all each cigar is wrapped in an indivual cedar sleeve. The Ecuador Sumatra Wrapper on this is so dark that it is almost a Maduro, but once you put it to your lips, even before lighting it, the flavors of dark fruit, like dates or dried figs immediate get you. Lighting it up, you don't so much of the sweet so much as you get a smoothly velvety leather, earth and a bit of Dark Chocolate. There is some spice in there too, and it is very full bodied without being too "strong". It is very consistent throughout only getting just a bit bitter near the nub... which I don't alway know about, because there are very few cigars that I go down to the nub on... but this one, you just don't want to end once you start smoking it (OK... maybe it is just me... but it is a damn fine, cuban style flavor, rich and pleasurable). It runs between 6 and 8 dollars around here (for the Media Noche), and it is one of the few cigars this price that I will say is vastly underpriced.

Sold.
key for me is lots of flavor without overpowering strength. Thanks for the write up. On another note, have you gotten around to giving Ol' Rocky another try?

Happyhour24x7
08-17-2012, 18:22
Oh, and for tonight it is a Torano Fortress. Always reliable.

Tony
08-17-2012, 20:10
Boli RC

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Clavius
08-17-2012, 23:26
Arturo Fuente 858 Flor-Fina

fricky
08-18-2012, 13:39
Arturo Fuente Anejo robusto - outstanding and superior to Opus X

Clavius
08-18-2012, 19:49
A Cain Nub Cameroon 460 for me tonight. I'm liking it a lot, very silky smooth. Which is good because I have 5 of them coming to me from a certain cigar website.

Happyhour24x7
08-19-2012, 15:23
Smoked a small Kristoff maduro today. I bought this box a year and a half ago, and decided it wasn't ready for prime time. The time in the humidor has helped, but not enough. Back in the box for another year.

Happyhour24x7
08-19-2012, 18:47
Cigar #2 is one from the slush pile; a Pinar del Rio Classico. Over all, not a bad smoke- burns well, good flavor, no downside.

qman22
08-23-2012, 20:50
Enjoying a Partagas Short at the moment, box code LAE FEB 11. Paired with a pour of Wathens... Trying to decide what to drink with it next

Probably something with more rye...

Happyhour24x7
08-24-2012, 03:56
Oliva V lancero last night. Pretty strong for the size, but pretty straightforward smoke; not a lot of depth or complexity.

qman22
08-24-2012, 20:15
DPG Vegas Cubanas corona tonight, decent smoke, though I think they've been discontinued

Clavius
08-24-2012, 22:17
A Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto. And it's very tasty.

cbus
08-28-2012, 17:55
Henry Clay tonight

Doggerlander
08-29-2012, 14:11
I've got a cheap bundle of no-name Hondurans that I'm muscling through. They were dried out and the wrappers are coming off, but I just can't bring myself to throw them out. They don't taste half bad, and it's an excuse for a whiskey.

qman22
08-29-2012, 17:52
Enjoying a RASS from 2007 tonight. It's a little underfilled, but mellow and pleasant at least

WAINWRIGHT
08-29-2012, 19:51
Acid Kuba Kuba,a little sweet for my taste but paired well offset to the Dalmore Cigar Malt which was rich,deep and delicious.

Happyhour24x7
08-30-2012, 18:47
CAO La Traviata tonight.

moose
08-31-2012, 09:05
Enjoyed a RP Edge Maduro, NUB Cameroon, Diesel Shorty LTD, Tatuaje Havana VI, Padron 5000, and a Kristoff Criollo over the weekend. Hey it was Cigar Fest! Actually had a better time away from the festival, made a weekend out of it, got to see the Peloton for the USA Pro Cycling Challenge come right through downtown Boulder as well, nice weekend before heading back to school.

Clavius
08-31-2012, 23:12
Oliva Serie G Belicoso... and not a big fan to be honest. I like the other Oliva's that I've tried, particularly the Serie V.

Tony
09-01-2012, 12:47
Monte 2 last night with some wine, will get one tonight with a bourbon

Best regards, Tony

Happyhour24x7
09-01-2012, 21:29
A Tatuaje last night, not sure which blend, but it was a fairly dark wrapper ith a red band. Pretty strong and full bodied. Kind of over powered the martinis I was having, but the martinis were what I needed after the week I had. Between the two, Friday night turned out pretty good.

tsangster
09-12-2012, 18:29
Tatuaje Fausto paired with private bottling of BT from Market Square (Tallahassee) while sitting on 6th floor balcony of Ft Walton Beach condo. Darn fine smoke, bourbon and view.

smokinjoe
09-12-2012, 20:07
Tatuaje Fausto paired with private bottling of BT from Market Square (Tallahassee) while sitting on 6th floor balcony of Ft Walton Beach condo. Darn fine smoke, bourbon and view.

Hard to do better than that, Tom. Sounds great!
:toast:

Happyhour24x7
09-13-2012, 04:45
Tatuaje for me last night as well.

qman22
09-17-2012, 08:31
Had an H. Upmann Petit Corona paired with a pour of RHF and a pour of JPS 18. Quite a relaxing hour and a half. :cool:

Glenn__B
09-17-2012, 14:06
Just sampling my year old pack of Quintero Brevas the last few days. Just delightful. 5 down 20 To go. Gonna have pace myself. Didn't see the potential in these.

Clavius
09-17-2012, 19:52
Last night I had a Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Consul. A pretty powerful stick but still enjoyable.

Happyhour24x7
09-18-2012, 04:47
Nice mild evening last night, so smoked a nice mild 5 Vegas Gold with a martini or two.

Tony
09-18-2012, 13:04
I smoked several wonderful Cohibas while down at the Festival this past weekend plus.

Best regards, Tony

fricky
09-21-2012, 07:05
YsterdAY, i had the pleasure of smoking another excellent cigar from My Father Cigars. La Duena was blended by Pete Johnson (Tatuaje) for Pepin Garcia's wife - Janny..

Clavius
09-22-2012, 00:03
Smoking a Carlos Torano 1959 Exodus 50 Years something or other Robusto.

tsangster
09-22-2012, 15:17
Rocky Patel Decade with Market Square picked EWSB 2002 while monitoring the beer butt chicken on the Kamado and waiting to see which UGA team decides to show up for the game tonight.

fricky
09-25-2012, 08:25
Ysterday, I smoked a Four Kicks Robusto. It is manufactured by The Crowned Heads Cigar Company. It is a full-flavored, medium body cigar. If you can find them, they are worth trying.

BourbonJoe
09-25-2012, 13:55
Smoked a Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ today. Excellent.
Joe

qman22
09-26-2012, 07:11
I pulled a cigar from one of my better boxes the other day, a Hoyo de Monterrey Regalos EL 2007. The last one I smoked from this box was phenomenal, but this one was terrible. It was very bitter and harsh. I'm wondering if my palate was just off that day or if it was a bad cigar. I've certainly experienced variation in taste among cigars in a box, but this was really a drastic difference....

Glenn__B
09-26-2012, 23:04
Had a Padron 2000 natural. Exceptional example of a very reliable smoke. Can't say enough about this one.

Tony
09-29-2012, 14:43
Trinidad Robusto Extra while watching MSU.

DeanSheen
09-30-2012, 10:18
Liga Undercrown Corona Viva with Sunday coffee.

DeanSheen
09-30-2012, 10:21
YsterdAY, i had the pleasure of smoking another excellent cigar from My Father Cigars. La Duena was blended by Pete Johnson (Tatuaje) for Pepin Garcia's wife - Janny..

I bought one of these at Party Source and like them a lot. Ditto on the Four Kicks. I really like that lancero size in the Four Kicks line.

fricky
09-30-2012, 15:25
I bought one of these at Party Source and like them a lot. Ditto on the Four Kicks. I really like that lancero size in the Four Kicks line.

You have been smoking some very good cigars - Four Kicks, Liga Undercrown, and La Duena. Janny is the daughter of Don Pepin.

DeanSheen
09-30-2012, 16:58
You have been smoking some very good cigars - Four Kicks, Liga Undercrown, and La Duena. Janny is the daughter of Don Pepin.

Yeah, I'm getting into the good stuff. I have a bunch of value sticks in the cooler but my tastes are shifting. I really really like those My Father Le Bijou's.

Between the MF Le Bijous, La Duena, Jaimi Garcia Resrve Especial I think I'm becoming a convert to that blending/manufacturer tree.
I'm also getting pretty hooked on Illusione as well.

I have a dark side stick and a Viaje that were gifted to me at the sampler. I'm sure I'll really be screwed after I smoke those.

fricky
09-30-2012, 17:24
It appears that we have similar taste in cigars. My Father Le
Bijou is one of my favorites. I am also hooked Liga Undercrown
Robustos as well as Illusione 88. If you have not smoked one
yet and you get a chance try an Arturo Fuente Anejo

Clavius
09-30-2012, 18:06
I still want to try a My Father, I've read that they're good. Also heard good things about the Liga Undercrowns.

DeanSheen
09-30-2012, 18:29
It appears that we have similar taste in cigars. My Father Le
Bijou is one of my favorites. I am also hooked Liga Undercrown
Robustos as well as Illusione 88. If you have not smoked one
yet and you get a chance try an Arturo Fuente Anejo

I love the 88 and the 68.

I had one Anejo but that was awhile ago. I'll have to revisit it. I love the Hemmingway line and have had several of the down-line blends from Fuente and have not enjoyed them so I have been staying away from Fuente except for the Hemmingway stuff.

Bmac
10-05-2012, 12:19
I found a shop in Dallas that has practically the entire line of Padron. So I bought a Padron 7000 Natural and another cigar from Nicaragua, which I have forgotten the name and the sticker is covered by the price tag :(

I plan on pairing the Padron to EC18.

qman22
10-09-2012, 21:19
Smoking a La Aroma de Cuba EE paired with OGD BiB, going well together. I've had a box of the la aromas since early this year and they seem to be coming around now

Frodo
10-26-2012, 03:50
Diamond Crown Maximus Churchill and some Longmorn 25 (G&M). Very nice...

Tony
10-27-2012, 14:47
A fine tasting BBF this afternoon.

fricky
10-27-2012, 19:47
A fine tasting BBF this afternoon.

BBF - which cigar are you referring to?

qman22
10-29-2012, 07:13
BBF - which cigar are you referring to?

That usually stands for Bolivar Belicosos Finos

Vosgar
11-01-2012, 18:09
Cain Habano along with a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale after work today

JB64
11-02-2012, 20:44
An H. Upmann corona and a Black Velvet and Diet Coke on a cool evening on my deck after work tonight. Cheap smoke and cheap drink beat the hell out of being at work, TGIF.

qman22
11-02-2012, 20:56
Enjoying a SLR Serie A tonight, one of my favorite cigars. These never fail to disappoint

qman22
11-03-2012, 09:02
Enjoying a SLR Serie A tonight, one of my favorite cigars. These never fail to disappoint

I think I had a little too much bourbon when I wrote this :lol:

fricky
11-03-2012, 09:52
Four Kicks Robusto - great cigar but difficult to find.

Vosgar
11-06-2012, 17:03
Oliva Serie G Toro tonight. Amazing what 8 months in the humidor does for this one!

Oouder
11-06-2012, 23:58

Cohiba 1966 for me tonight.

Happyhour24x7
11-12-2012, 06:03
After reading a good review, I smoked a Romeo by Romeo & Julieta this weekend. It was good, not not memorable.

fricky
11-12-2012, 06:23
I continue to return to Ilusione 88. This continues to be my favorite cigar. It has great construction, easy draw with plenty of smoke, uniform burn, and the taste is exceptional.

qman22
11-12-2012, 21:07
I'm smoking a 2007 RASS tonight and I'm disappointed in its lack of flavor. This is the 1st one from this box that's been bland so they might have reached a dormant period. I will definitely wait a few more months before revisiting these

jsVA
11-13-2012, 19:08
Finally got around to smoking a Tatuaje Little Boris. So far I'm really enjoying, although the weather could be a bit more favorable.

Happyhour24x7
11-14-2012, 05:23
Finally got around to smoking a Tatuaje Little Boris. So far I'm really enjoying, although the weather could be a bit more favorable.
Yeah, I've enjoyed the couple of Tatuajes I've had, although I couldn't tell you which ones they were. I haven't seen them much in NoVa, however; where did you pick them up?

jsVA
11-14-2012, 08:16
Yeah, I've enjoyed the couple of Tatuajes I've had, although I couldn't tell you which ones they were. I haven't seen them much in NoVa, however; where did you pick them up?

They carry some from time to time at some of the OVTC stores (Old Virginia Tobacco Company). This one ,however, was an exclusive to the Corona Cigar Company out of Fl.

Frodo
11-18-2012, 16:29
Wanted a cigar tonight but it was just too damm cold.

Tony
11-18-2012, 16:45
Trinidad Robusto Extra today along with some 4RsB2012 and Larceny.

Best regards, Tony

BigPenguin
11-23-2012, 18:51
Smoked a Padron 4000 Series the other night. Great cigar.

Tony
11-23-2012, 20:29
Party 898 this afternoon.

Best regards, Tony

kingcohiba
12-10-2012, 22:28
Smoking a monte 2 with a bit of weller special reserve.

kingcohiba
12-11-2012, 21:01
trinidad reyes with more of the weller special reserve. this was a 15$ bottle of bourbon and its pretty freakin good! this could very well become my go-to bourbon. or at least one of them.

kingcohiba
12-13-2012, 19:59
smoking an 05 ryj exh. #4 with some vw lot b.

BigPenguin
12-14-2012, 07:13
Going to a My Father cigar event tonight. Most likely going to be smoke a Flor de Las Antillas tonight. Damn good cigar.

Frodo
12-15-2012, 18:47
Bolivar RE Canada with coffee.

fricky
12-16-2012, 07:11
Yesterday, I smoked a Concert by CAO. It is medium body with great flavor from start to finish.

Clavius
12-19-2012, 00:14
First cigar for me in awhile. A Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 50 Years robusto. "Aged" in my humidor for over 3 months. Quite tasty if I do say so myself!

kingcohiba
12-20-2012, 15:51
enjoying a very nice hoyo de monterrey coronations while finishing up season 5 of sons of anarchy.

kingcohiba
12-22-2012, 22:08
enjoying a wonderful 2010 monte 2 with some orvw 10/107.....bliss!

Tony
12-23-2012, 19:01
Party 898 tonight with a 4RSmB 2012.

Best regards, Tony

BigPenguin
12-26-2012, 16:31
Smoked a Casa Fuente on Christmas Eve.