PDA

View Full Version : So what is everyone smoking?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

cigarnv
05-09-2008, 16:16
It is a damp, wet day.... so a good day for a cigar and a bit of reading. Picked a 1998 Trinidad Fundadores ( CLE AGO) from the humi and settled in with a copy of "My Life" which is Fidel Castro's recent autobiography by Fidel and Ignacio Ramonet. Beverage was a cup of Rwanda Bourbon coffee with a touch of half and half.

The Fundadores is a format I really enjoy, 40 x 7.5", as it is an elegant 2 hour smoke. Dark Colorado wrapper, nice oil sheen and a prelight aroma of damp soil, wood and hints of leather. The cigar drew perfectly and burned razor sharp. Flavors of spice, cocoa and oak mingled with some floral tones. No harshness, good balance and very nice complexity made for a great smoke with a long finish. While the 1998 Fundy's have a lot of life left in them, they are smoking extremely well at the 10 year point.

As for the book it is an interesting read and gives one a good insight into the way Castro thinks and see's the world. As one would expect he has some interesting perspectives,,, some worth pondering, others way off base. Overall it provides one of the better looks at Castro and his thinking.

melting
05-09-2008, 16:34
Not smoking anything tonight as it's raining outside and the "queen" won't allow me to smoke in the house.

Last night I had a CAO Italia. Excellent. Had some Famous Grouse which was totally overwhelmed.

Chris

BourbonJoe
05-09-2008, 20:14
Tonight it was a Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta with a pour of Wild Turkey Tribute. Wonderful.
Joe :usflag:

OscarV
05-09-2008, 20:29
ooppps, sorry,...this thread is about cigars, my mistake.

bill&ash
05-11-2008, 19:51
It has been raining for three days and there is not more to do when i get home but sip on some '06 old forester birthday bourbon, and my favorite smoke, a perdomo edicion de silivo. What else could a man ask for?

cigarnv
05-12-2008, 05:33
It has been raining for three days and there is not more to do when i get home but sip on some '06 old forester birthday bourbon, and my favorite smoke, a perdomo edicion de silivo. What else could a man ask for?

Same here... still raining today and it poured yesterday so as you say what better to do than enjoy a bourbon, cigar and to catch up with some Tivo shows.....

Yesterday was Very Old Barton BIB, Por Larranaga Lonsdale and a few weeks of Tivo saved MI-5's from BBC TV. How can you beat VOB for the price!!! The PL Lonsdale (DEB AGO06) was a bit young but still delicious. As always MI-5 is a great show to enjoy on a lazy afternoon.

DrinkyBanjo
05-12-2008, 06:00
On Saturday I had a La Gloria Cubana Reserva Felicias Maduro. It was excellent, smoked it while walking with the wife and son.

cigarnv
05-12-2008, 06:23
On Saturday I had a La Gloria Cubana Reserva Felicias Maduro. It was excellent, smoked it while walking with the wife and son.

Ernesto still makes one of the best cigars on the market today, La Gloria Cubana. He has also, IMO, continued to price his cigars a point that is very attractive. I find it hard to beat his Wavell's from both a taste and value perspective. His Reserva's are outstanding......

cigarnv
05-13-2008, 17:01
Finally... no rain today in Virginia!! Sat outside to catch up on some reading and to enjoy a cigar. Given the choice I enjoy a cigar outside on a still day rather then indoors.

Today I enjoyed a La Gloria Cubana Trunk Show Figurado from 2001. After the previous posts on La Gloria I wanted to revisit an old favorite. In 2000 Ernesto wanted to do a few special cigars from some older tobacco he had in his warehouses that did not go with the sale of La Gloria. He produced a few hundred boxes that were sold as "futures" through one of his prime retailers in Virginia. As with many things in life I wish I would have bought more. They were outstanding cigars that were packaged in special varnished cabinets with the buyers name inside on a brass plate. Back in 2000 these were priced at a premium to his standard lines... $120 - 170 / cabinet...... a bargain even then.

In any case these have really aged very well producing tons of creamy smoke. Spice, floral notes, expresso and hints of earth. Perfect balance and complexity with a long finish. A damn good $6 cigar!!

smokinjoe
05-16-2008, 17:46
One of those ass-buster weeks workin' for the man. Just finished a nice hour on the front porch with one of my favorites, Rocky Patel Vintage Series 1990. Accompanied by a nice pour of some early 1980's vintage, 8 yr Fighting Cock that I picked up today. Nice combo.

JOE

doubleblank
05-21-2008, 08:47
I haven't smoked for a while, but decided to begin enjoying an occasional cigar out on the patio recently.

Sunday, I fired up the smoker and did some ribs. I enjoyed a Bolivar Fuerte corona size with a beer while watching the smoker.

Last night was a Hoyo de Monterey Double Corona from a box I picked up in the Cayman Islands last year. I fixed me a Manhattan to go with it. This has always been a favorite of mine and this one didn't disappoint me.

Randy

cigarnv
05-21-2008, 12:59
Randy, doesn't look like you could have had a better day.... we must be in sync as last evening I was enjoying a HdM Churchill with a "few" Manhattan's. Finished off some Q from a competition I judged over the weekend.

Tonight is sauteed mussels with a Rombauer Chardonney. Probably cap of the evening with a rye and cigar.....

fredthecat
05-23-2008, 11:53
i'm not sure how this will go over.. but i don't smoke tobacco. however i do enjoy smoking marijuana.. and if i'm alone and able to control my intake to only a few puffs it can increase the intensity of flavour in beer, wine or spirits.. in canada it's quite accepted by the way.

mier
05-23-2008, 13:56
Living in the Netherlands,what do you think:bandit:

smokinjoe
05-23-2008, 14:02
i'm not sure how this will go over.. but i don't smoke tobacco. however i do enjoy smoking marijuana.. and if i'm alone and able to control my intake to only a few puffs it can increase the intensity of flavour in beer, wine or spirits.. in canada it's quite accepted by the way.

Now we know why Gary Gillman is so good at picking out flavors.

:toast:

JOE

smokinjoe
05-24-2008, 09:18
An absolutely beautiful evening last night here in Georgia, after a nice thunderstorm. So I decided to pair up a thunderstorm of a cigar, Oliva Serie V, with a very pleasant and silky smooth, McScrooges Pappy 15.

It's all about balance.

JOE

cigarnv
05-24-2008, 09:48
We had a small gthering at the hacienda last evening with a few friends. Some good wines, bourbon, food and cigars. The gang enjoyed both the Fuente 898 as well as the HdM du Prince from a 2000 cab of 50. Great cigars all around....

mgilbertva
05-24-2008, 12:48
Well, last night I was smoking your cigars!

Frodo
05-24-2008, 22:27
Tonight it was the fisrt night of "real" summer weather so I had a Trinidad (corona size) on the balcony. No wind. Perfect with coffee!

Jono
05-24-2008, 23:34
Frodo, have you found any Longbottom Leaf?

Frodo
05-25-2008, 18:23
Ba-da-bing ba-da-boom!

Nice one...

cigarnv
05-26-2008, 05:29
Punch Punch Cabinet selection from 2004 enjoyed with a bit of RRR... very nice combination especially given the softness of the RRR and the hint of sweetness on the back end.

Frodo
05-27-2008, 22:29
Tonight a Montecristo No.4 with coffee. The Monte has mostly nutty flavours that I detected. I like this one very much!!!

cigarnv
05-28-2008, 05:17
The Monte 4 is a tough cigar to beat for a very consistent smoke at a decent price. Was the best selling Havana in the world for years but was recently over taken by the Partagas SD #4.... Clearly reflects the move towards robusto format cigars.

Frodo
05-28-2008, 18:00
...robusto format cigars.

Just curious - what is a robusto cigar. I thought it was a "strong blend" of tobacco but perhaps it refers to the ring guage?

cigarnv
05-29-2008, 05:02
Just curious - what is a robusto cigar. I thought it was a "strong blend" of tobacco but perhaps it refers to the ring guage?

Robusto is a format that "generally" speaks to a cigar that is 5" long and 50 ring guage. At times you will find the Hermoso format, 4.875" x 48rg, being called a robusto by some.

Frodo
05-30-2008, 02:54
Ah - thank you for that clarification! Much obliged!!!

pepcycle
05-30-2008, 15:08
Tonight, its my favorito of the diminutive cigars

Hemingway Short Story

Elmer T. Lee and HSS. Can't be beat while dining Al Fresco at a food and wine tasting. And the best part is some of the cost is tax deductible!!!! (Oh Ya, and the money goes to feed the less fortunate in Kentucky too!!!)

(Check out Taste of the Bluiegrass: http://www.godspantry.org/home)

cigarnv
05-30-2008, 15:27
Tonight, its my favorito of the diminutive cigars

Hemingway Short Story

Elmer T. Lee and HSS. Can't be beat while dining Al Fresco at a food and wine tasting. And the best part is some of the cost is tax deductible!!!! (Oh Ya, and the money goes to feed the less fortunate in Kentucky too!!!)

(Check out Taste of the Bluiegrass: http://www.godspantry.org/home)

Ed, the HSS is one of those cigars that never misses and still sells for a reasonable price... also a good fit with bourbon.

The Taste of Bluegrass looks like a great event for a very good cause.

BourbonJoe
05-31-2008, 19:40
Tonight I had a pour of ER-101 and a Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta Maduro. Nice combo.

cigarnv
06-01-2008, 04:46
Last evening I enjoyed a Don Carlos Presidente from the late 90's.... a wonderful cigar that has matured beautifully over the years. Rich, creamy and not a hint of harshness. I continue to feel that the Don Carlos line is the best that Fuente makes.... a far better cigar than the Opus X. Put these away for 5-7 years and you will be richly rewarded....

cigarnv
06-03-2008, 05:41
Another beautiful evening in the Old Dominion. Enjoyed a 2005 Bolivar Petit Corona.... a little powerhouse. Followed that with a small pour of RR Rye which has really become a favorite on a warm spring evening... very easy to drink and very soft on the palate....

BourbonJoe
06-17-2008, 16:55
Tonight on the bourbon deck I had a JR Ultimate Double Maduro and a pour of Old Fitz Prime. Not bad.
Joe :bandit: :usflag:

Frodo
06-27-2008, 18:00
Tuesday I had a Montecristo Tubo, and tonight a small Cuaba - both with coffee. The Monte was almost too much for the coffee whereas the Cuaba struggled to keep up with the coffee. Both were nice and very different!

cigarnv
06-28-2008, 06:44
Last evening I enjoyed a 2004 Partagas Serie D #1 EL. Great cigar that is really just beginning to emerge and show it's true potential. Paired very well with a few fingers of Eagle Rare 101 from the squat bottle.....

BourbonJoe
07-02-2008, 17:13
Tonight it was a Romeo & Julietta Medallis de Oro and a pour of early 70's Yellowstone. Wonderful pairing.

Frodo
07-23-2008, 21:46
Tonight a 2005LE Montecristo. Too much for me. I think I will stick to Cuaba from now on...

GOCOUGS2002
07-30-2008, 13:12
Sat outside in the 110 degree heat tonight and smoked an OPUS X xXx (Power Ranger). Those things pack a punch, but I would be hard pressed to find a cigar with the big bellowing smoke and taste it provides in such a small package.

DrinkyBanjo
07-30-2008, 18:59
Last Friday I had an Opus X Number 4. Went down well with some Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. The guy next to me at the bar asked what as I was smoking as it smelt strong but very nice. We ending up chatting for the next 1/2 hour or so. Nice time, those are things that only can happen sitting at a bar.

Gillman
07-30-2008, 19:37
A deck of Export A, green pack. (Just kidding).

Gary

JamesW
07-30-2008, 21:53
A deck of Export A, green pack. (Just kidding).

Gary

HAHA. Man that's one of the nastiest pack of smokes on the planet. I haven't seen them around in a long time.

Gillman
07-31-2008, 04:49
In truth I meant I was kidding in the sense that I gave up the tobacco habit long ago. Actually I liked Export, it was a full-flavoured brand of the old style. Just being nostalgic in other words!

Gary

Gillman
07-31-2008, 05:12
I enjoy reading this thread even though I don't smoke anymore. It is interesting how people pair the taste of whiskey with different kinds of cigars and their characteristics, and I like reading about that. When I first started drinking bourbon, I used to smoke American cigarettes sometimes with it (when travelling in the U.S.), and the odors of an American Turkish tobacco blend and bourbon whiskey are something I associated together for decades. I've mentioned in other threads other cigaret types I used to like, Canadian brands (which use Virginia tobacco) and the hand-rolled cigarets made from Drum. The traditional old-style Canadian brand apart from Export was Player's. To be sure I could see how some people wouldn't like them since they were heavy-tasting, tarry cigarets, but they were a tradition. I think today while the brand names survive the cigaret blends probably have gotten a lot lighter (not a bad thing since these products as is well known are not good for the health..).

Gary

BourbonJoe
07-31-2008, 07:46
We used to do a lot of fly-in fishing in the upper reaches of Canada when I was younger. Some times we would go in the bush for two weeks at a time. I remember loading up on Export-A's (and Labatt's 50) before each trip. When you're in your 20's, you have no fear, either about adventure or the smokes you consume. Canadian smokes were cheap then.

Gillman
07-31-2008, 08:08
Labatt's 50 still tastes the same Joe, you can get it two blocks away from where I work, on draft. It is not as popular as 30 years ago but is still available, as is the very nice Molson Export Ale.

Gary

OscarV
07-31-2008, 08:28
as is the very nice Molson Export Ale.

Gary

We can't get Molson Export in MI any more.
We used to call it the ships, because of the tall ships on the logo.
Glad there is still Molson Golden here.

Gillman
07-31-2008, 08:54
Ah, that's too bad. Export is still a good beer. It was devised in 1903 and is an example of "Canadian sparkling ale", which is a top-fermented beer as for all ales but with cold aging in the Germanic lager style to round it out. This gives it characteristics of both an ale and a lager. It probably (before 1950 or so) was more malt-oriented and hoppier, but it is still a good product especially on draft. It has a characteristically earthy taste I find.

Gary

cigarnv
08-01-2008, 05:12
Enjoyed a bit of RR Rye last evening with a 2005 RyJ #4 from a cab of 50. Always a great cigar that tends to get overlooked with all the special releases Havana seems to be consumed with these days. They remain very approachable price wise (except in Canada!!!).

DrinkyBanjo
08-01-2008, 08:49
I have a AF Don Carlos Robusto in my bag to be smoked after work today, looking forward to that!

smokinjoe
08-15-2008, 23:38
I'll call it an Epiphany. I have made up a couple of Sazarac cocktails recently, and paired them with a few cigars. And, the Sazarac is the PERFECT pairing with a good smoke, to me! Tonight, it was an Oliva Serie V, with a Sazarac, made with Baby Saz as the base. D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S!! Thank Goodness, I'm heading to Bardstown next month for KBF, so I can pick up more Peychaud's. I'm gonna be running through it, as we head to Fall. Pain in the Arse to make, but well worth it, with a good cigar!

Cheers!

JOE

JohnD13
08-16-2008, 07:50
I tired something new recently. Illusione. Have tried the MK, the F9 and the 888. I'm not one to try new cigars as I like my "go to" cigars and I stick with them. Well this line will go into the weekly rotation.

Nice burn, good smoke.

Frodo
08-18-2008, 08:08
I think my new favourite is Cuaba. Just hits the sweet spot!

JamesW
08-23-2008, 18:36
In truth I meant I was kidding in the sense that I gave up the tobacco habit long ago. Actually I liked Export, it was a full-flavoured brand of the old style. Just being nostalgic in other words!

Gary

I myself smoked the Export blue on occasion but preferred DuMaurier for my regular pack. Players was also a stand-in at times. I also rolled Drum on occassion http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

JamesW
08-23-2008, 18:37
Ah, that's too bad. Export is still a good beer. It was devised in 1903 and is an example of "Canadian sparkling ale", which is a top-fermented beer as for all ales but with cold aging in the Germanic lager style to round it out. This gives it characteristics of both an ale and a lager. It probably (before 1950 or so) was more malt-oriented and hoppier, but it is still a good product especially on draft. It has a characteristically earthy taste I find.

Gary

I drank Molson Ex a lot growing up and also Labatt blue made regular appearances. Haven't had them in a long while....

whiskeyhatch
08-27-2008, 17:34
I'm still new to cigars but one of the best smokes I've had was the Oliva Serie V. It was also one of the strongest cigars I've had. My favorite as of late is the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Chruchill. Works great on the back porch during afternoon thunderstorms.

gothbat
09-14-2008, 19:07
I'm not big on cigars, I know very little about them and usually don't find them to be all that good, but for some reason I do occasionally buy them and smoke them. Usually if I want a cigar it's because I smelled someone smoking one and it smelled great but when I get one, the same kind even, it doesn't smell as good. Anyway, I was at a beer convention yesterday and I picked up a Rocky Patel Robusto sampler pack for $20 and tried the Sun Grown later in the evening. When I went out to smoke I figured I'd smoke like a quarter of it, get bored, and put it out but I really couldn't put this one down once I started smoking it. It tasted excellent and smelled just like cigars smell to me when other people are smoking them. That was definitely a good hour! The only thing I didn't like about it was that I didn't think the bourbon tasted as good paired with a cigar.
As I said before I know very little about these so I'm curious, is Rocky Patel a good brand of cigar?

BourbonJoe
09-14-2008, 19:21
As I said before I know very little about these so I'm curious, is Rocky Patel a good brand of cigar?

Yes. Very good.

jwrussell
09-19-2008, 08:31
Toasted a Montecristo Petit Edmundo last night. Wow those are good. Unfortunately, no bourbon to go with it last night. :(

Frodo
09-21-2008, 16:01
That is a great little cigar!

Lost Pollito
09-27-2008, 09:36
I just smoked one of my favorite quick smokes. Tatuaje's Angele. The burn is quite nice... a little hot towards the last 1/4 of the smoke, but it's a little guy. I believe mine is the east coast blend, as I'm in chicago. All and all, I fantastic cigar.

ionz149
09-28-2008, 09:05
I usually enjoy a Don Tomas Cameroon Perfecto #1 (if around people, it's a shortie) or a #3 if by myself. Also have had good experiences with La Gloria Cubana Wavell Natural.

I've tried various cigars to pair with my bourbon and some wines, but these are the ones I have sitting around the house for routine puffing. Also I am somewhat limited because I buy most of my cigars at bevmo, I should go about finding a decent cigar shop around town.

MJL
09-28-2008, 15:45
The La Gloria Cubana Wavels are a particular favorite of mine too.

Lost Pollito
09-29-2008, 11:58
I Love shorty's on my lunch break. Really breaks up the day nicely. Today... La Riqueza. Smooth and creamy... a new blend from Tatuaje I think.

Cigarman Chris
09-30-2008, 21:36
I'm about to wander outside and have a Opus X Robusto. It has been aging for about a year in my humi so hopefully it will be good!

MJL
10-04-2008, 11:08
I have some maduro Padrons and La Gloria Cubana Serie R's in my humidors that have been aging since the late 90s. Certain cigars just age into something awful special.

boss302
10-09-2008, 01:13
CAO Brazilia and Ashton Virgin Sun Grown- Sorcerer (7x49).

I like to pair the former with a dark rum, like Pyrat XO. The latter I like to pair with a quality wheat-recipe bourbon, currently W. L. Weller 107.

Frodo
10-10-2008, 19:30
Sancho Panza (piramid shape). Not bad, but won't repeat the purchase. Am now eyeing Rocky Patel 12yr...

MJL
10-11-2008, 07:02
Sancho Panza (piramid shape). Not bad, but won't repeat the purchase. Am now eyeing Rocky Patel 12yr...

Was that a Cuban Sancho Panza or a Honduran? My experiences with the Honduran Panzas are that they are one of the best low to moderate cost cigars on the market. Their maduros age very well, in my experience, and I have a box going at it in my humidor right now.

Frodo
10-15-2008, 00:35
Was that a Cuban Sancho Panza or a Honduran? My experiences with the Honduran Panzas are that they are one of the best low to moderate cost cigars on the market. Their maduros age very well, in my experience, and I have a box going at it in my humidor right now.

The Cuban ones as I live in Toronto and they're legal up here...

Frodo
10-16-2008, 01:30
Tonight a Rocky Patel 1990 LE with some Flor de Cana 18yr rum. Liked the combo better with coffee instead of the rum. Lots of flavour without it being too much (like as in "full-bodied"). I think the Oscuro wrapper contributed something sweet to the taste. I liked it, but it was something different to the cubans I'm used to. Not better or worse - simply different.

AVB
10-18-2008, 20:48
I had to spend the day outside with the wife at a crafts show where she had a booth. I started with a CAO Black Frontier went to a Angel 100 La Meca then a SLR Maduro Rothchilde and finished with a Don Carlos Presidente. Not a bad smoking day plus the wife made a few hundred at the show and bought dinner :)

Frodo
10-30-2008, 18:41
Montecristo Petit Edmundo. Not bad, but I had trouble with the ring gauge. Will stick with the No. 4 I think for now...

Whiskey Willie
10-31-2008, 05:59
Partagas has a new cigar, the Lancero...Not bad. It's a petit corona, about 5 x 40.

ACDetroit
11-16-2008, 16:01
Was out organizing (making piles really) in the garage and grabbed a Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente Maduro for the task. Let me just say it held up to the task.
Just started a humidor and it was seasoned as of yesterday so I pulled everything out of the tupper ware with the pillow and loaded her up. The Chateau Maduro was part of a fiver I ordered last week after I bought the humidor!
Will this stick get better after it rests? I really can't imagine them getting much better!

Tony

AVB
11-16-2008, 16:49
Don't you think this is better asked at CP though? Anyway, it will get better with a few years under it just like the Padron XXXX series do to.

ACDetroit
11-16-2008, 16:59
Yes, Ray you are correct but if you look at my posts there compared to here, It's quite obvious where I feel at home. I am trying to feel a little more comfortable but it's still taking time (sorry)!

Tony

GOCOUGS2002
11-17-2008, 18:53
Great day today so I decided to go outside and light up a 5 Vegas Gran Reserva that had been sitting in my Humidor for about two years. Spice and leather followed by some coffee undertones toward the end, overall good cigar. I am glad I have a few more.

ggilbertva
12-08-2008, 15:10
On a friends recommendation, I picked up Fuente Short Story. I coupled it some Saz 18.

ACDetroit
12-08-2008, 18:51
Sounds tasty Greg! I paired a Petite Coruna Padron 1926 with some Rare Breed and then later in the night had an Oliva Series "V" Robusto with some 2008 WLW.

Both very good (bourbon and cigar):cool:

Tony

Lost Pollito
12-09-2008, 14:06
Just smoked a Garcia & Garcia "My Father" belicoso. Beautiful, but fingers are numb due to the cold. Already missin good smoking weather.

Cigarman Chris
12-13-2008, 19:36
I had a CAO Italia earlier, would love to smoke again right now, but the weather says otherwise. To damn cold out.

ggilbertva
12-26-2008, 20:23
Smoked a CAO gold band last night.....it was quick one....dropped into the 20's.

cigarnv
12-27-2008, 04:06
Been sitting here since Wed. with a head cold that has sent my taste buds south.... holiday season with no cigars or bourbon... bummer. Love those CAO golds with the Cameron wrapper.... IMO the best of their offerings...

Cigarman Chris
12-27-2008, 13:07
Ouch, that sucks. I'm thinking I'll smoke a Nub Conn. tonight, not sure what booze I'll pair it with yet.

ggilbertva
12-27-2008, 17:49
Been sitting here since Wed. with a head cold that has sent my taste buds south.... holiday season with no cigars or bourbon... bummer. Love those CAO golds with the Cameron wrapper.... IMO the best of their offerings...

Reid,

Thanks again for the suggestions.....I really like the CAO gold band along with the Macanudo. I had both over Christmas.

Cigarman Chris
12-28-2008, 13:50
About to smoke a La Gloria Cubana and watch the Ravens game.

funknik
12-28-2008, 22:57
The wife got me some Panter Silhouette Sumatra small cigars for Xmas -- very tasty.

ACDetroit
12-29-2008, 19:41
My Father Robusto I picked up at Binny's, mild to medium with not a lot going on. May not replace this one!

I'll be smokin and drinkin tomorrow afternoon! I'll let you know! Maybe an Alec Bradly Lancero!

Tony

Cigarman Chris
01-01-2009, 22:41
Had a CAO America a few hours ago, gonna smoke my Tat White tomorrow hopefully if its not to cold.

OscarV
01-01-2009, 22:45
To answer the question of the thread title,....not what I want.

DrinkyBanjo
01-02-2009, 14:03
I've been treating myself to some Cubans I've been hiding in my humidor for some time now. On Wednesday I had a Montecristo #4 with a Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, today was a Cohiba Robusto with a Blantons. Both were enjoyable but I don't think they were any more so than the better smokes we can get here.

My favorite smoke is still the Fuente Anejo, I was able to pick up a few more of those before Christmas!

Cigarman Chris
01-03-2009, 15:35
Anejos are excellent smokes. Monte #2s are damn good also.

I'm gonna be buying a CAO Bratalia humidor, that is stocked with random CAOs soon. Can't wait.

ggilbertva
01-08-2009, 22:13
Driving home from work, I pulled out a CAO gold band. Had to drive with the window down....a whopping 34 deg. :bandit:

Cigarman Chris
01-08-2009, 23:29
I had a CAO Soprano earlier. Not bad, but don't think it lives up to the price.

smokinjoe
01-10-2009, 10:05
Sat outside by the fire last night, with an AF Best Seller. I honestly can't find anything about them that I don't like.

WhiskeyTaichou
01-11-2009, 20:04
CAO Criollo with Four Roses Small Batch.

Cigarman Chris
01-12-2009, 00:26
CAO Criollo with Four Roses Small Batch.
Did you like the Criollo? The one I had, was horrible burn issues and didn't have the best taste, but I would like to try another.

WhiskeyTaichou
01-12-2009, 09:54
I have had nothing but good experiences with Criollo's but anyone can get a lemon. I just bought a box and then a box of cameroon's.

WT

Bonfire Smoke
01-14-2009, 14:57
I am going home and smoke a Punch Champion and sip on some EWSB.

Cigarman Chris
01-14-2009, 15:37
I got some winnings in today from a football bet, SLR Series A ISOM from 2001, Punch RS#12 ISOM from 2000, Bolivar, CAO Brazilia, Gurkha Titan, and Taboo Twist. Need a special time to smoke the first two.

OldJack
01-28-2009, 20:21
Some Virginia burley in grandpa's old pipe.

deputydog
02-02-2009, 14:01
Hello all,

I'm the new guy on the block here and I've been reading the posts in this section with great interest. I'm fairly new to the world of better bourbons but I've been smokin' stogies for a long time. I was a die hard Arturo Fuente man for years and I still believe they have the most consistent product line in the market place. However, just as with my drinks, I have continued to expand my tastes in cigars. Cuban Cohibas and Monte's are great for special occasions but my everyday smoke has become Hoya de Nicaragua. They're not for the mild mannered smoker but I find them to be very complex and tasty. If you haven't tried one I recommend you do. I think I will do so myself just as soon as I get home from the office.

funknik
02-02-2009, 14:05
Last night I had a little Panter Silhouette Sumatra cigar that my wife gave me a pack of for Christmas...I don't claim to know anything about cigars, but I liked it.

Lost Pollito
02-02-2009, 14:38
I just enjoyed an Alec Bradley Terra Nova 5 for my lunch. Great cigar.

Lost Pollito
02-02-2009, 14:38
Hello all,

I'm the new guy on the block here and I've been reading the posts in this section with great interest. I'm fairly new to the world of better bourbons but I've been smokin' stogies for a long time. I was a die hard Arturo Fuente man for years and I still believe they have the most consistent product line in the market place. However, just as with my drinks, I have continued to expand my tastes in cigars. Cuban Cohibas and Monte's are great for special occasions but my everyday smoke has become Hoya de Nicaragua. They're not for the mild mannered smoker but I find them to be very complex and tasty. If you haven't tried one I recommend you do. I think I will do so myself just as soon as I get home from the office.

Welcome aboard deputydog.

cbsmokin
02-04-2009, 07:55
Hi guys, new to the forum, but not new to cigars. Right now I am hooked on Punch Cornas (CC) and I am patiently waiting for my Nov 07 Por Larranga PC to be ready. I'm craving that caramel flavor.

cigarnv
02-04-2009, 09:04
Enjoyed a 1998 Upmann Lonsdale with a pour of RR Rye... excellent combination as the Russel's is very cigar friendly. Interesting is the Upmann is just beginning to come into its own with 10+ years of age.

ggilbertva
02-15-2009, 16:34
Since the weather was somewhat tolerable today, I sat on the front porch with a nice highland scotch and a CAO Italia.

tr1strev
02-19-2009, 19:09
Arturo Fuente Curly Head. Nice and mild.

cigarnv
02-22-2009, 14:46
Enjoying a HdM Churchill from 2006 with a bit of Dickel #8....

kickert
02-23-2009, 19:19
I had an Onyx Reserve Churchill with some Flor De Cana 7 year old

cigarnv
02-24-2009, 06:08
Tried the NUBS cameroon last evening and it was quite a nice smoke... would recommend

troyce
02-27-2009, 16:01
I've had a cold for what seems like forever so it's been awhile since I've smoked a cigar. Tonight's a little wet outside but not too cold, so I think I may hit an Anejo Shark out on the deck with some of the McScrogges' Old Weller Antique. Good way to wrap up the week.

smokinjoe
02-27-2009, 20:26
A little Captain Black (It's from a can, and at least 4 yrs old), in my Dr. Grabow Lark pipe (It's older, my wife gave it to me in college, 25 yrs ago). The pipe is always good. The 'baccy is good also, despite it's age.
On a side note, I am finding that a golf tee makes a terrific tamper...
Since it continues to rain cats and dogs here, I think I'll leave my can of CB out with me in the garage, to soak up some of this humidity.

dean_martin
03-02-2009, 09:24
last night it was an AF Short Story w/Sazerac Rye. the two were very complimentary!

funknik
03-22-2009, 17:37
Today I sat out in the sunshine in my backyard and enjoyed a Kristoff Maduro that my wife gave me for Christmas. Since I'm not allowed to smoke in the house, I had to wait for warmer weather. Today didn't quite qualify and I froze my ass off, but the cigar was mighty tasty.

funknik
05-21-2009, 18:03
Had an Onyx Handmade Reserve today with some WLW SR . . . great combo . . . they really brought the flavors out in each other.

OscarV
05-21-2009, 18:31
to answer the question of the thread,.... not what I want.

tommyboy38
05-27-2009, 10:29
As usual, a Marlboro light.

Eth3rStrik3r
05-28-2009, 14:46
Just smoked a JR ultimate Toro. Not bad, not bad at all.

BourbonJoe
05-29-2009, 10:33
Just smoked a JR ultimate Toro. Not bad, not bad at all.

One of my favorites, in Double Maduro.

Single-Barrel
06-05-2009, 09:45
Just fired up a Fonseca cedar #4 (maduro). This is one of my goto smokes bold full flavored and spicy. A real treat at a great price. These usually go with something older and more full flavored the EC 18 y.o. This thing is great what more can I say.:cool:

ggilbertva
06-05-2009, 20:59
I purchased a sampler pack from a cigar website. Got 4 each Padilla 1932, Padilla 68 and the Padilla 1948. Smoked the 1932 tonight.....very good cigar but I had to stop short of a full smoke as I started to feel it.....not sure why as I've had full bodied cigars before. In any case, tasty smoke.

Single-Barrel
06-08-2009, 08:38
I purchased a sampler pack from a cigar website. Got 4 each Padilla 1932, Padilla 68 and the Padilla 1948. Smoked the 1932 tonight.....very good cigar but I had to stop short of a full smoke as I started to feel it.....not sure why as I've had full bodied cigars before. In any case, tasty smoke.

Love the 68' line I just ordered a box of the Torpedo's. I can't wait for them to come in. This is currently my favorite Corojo wrapper cigar!!:grin:

clbrosch
06-18-2009, 14:12
I've been enjoying a bargain bundle from JR cigars that supposed to be a Arturo Fuentes 858 clone. They have been 60% to 70% good. It came in a 20 or 25 pack and after smoking half of them there has been a handful of disappointing sticks - The kind that just don't draw or give a nice mouthful of smoke.
But There have been enough good ones I will probably order again. This was my big pre SCHIP tax splurge.
I got a nice little 5 pack of some Gloria Cubana torpedoes that are just excellent.

smokinjoe
06-27-2009, 15:59
Last night, sat out on the balcony of our hotel at the beach with an AF Best Seller and a couple of pours of Weller 12. 'at'll do. Probably follow up with the same tonight. Or, may go with Rocky Patel Vintage 92.

BTW, spent the afternoon going over this months Cigar Aficianado. Anyone else notice how good this mag is? Every month there are lots of well written, and interestng articles.

troyce
06-28-2009, 17:33
Last night, sat out on the balcony of our hotel at the beach with an AF Best Seller and a couple of pours of Weller 12. 'at'll do. Probably follow up with the same tonight. Or, may go with Rocky Patel Vintage 92.

BTW, spent the afternoon going over this months Cigar Aficianado. Anyone else notice how good this mag is? Every month there are lots of well written, and interestng articles.

BS on a couple of pours. I know you, and being at the beach, a couple of pours of Weller 12 was just a starter.

BourbonJoe
06-28-2009, 20:01
BS on a couple of pours. I know you, and being at the beach, a couple of pours of Weller 12 was just a starter.

Yeah, that did sound like BS Jimmy.:horseshit:

smokinjoe
06-28-2009, 21:57
Yeah, that did sound like BS Jimmy.:horseshit:

:lol:

Busted!!!!!! Ya'll got me! Maybe, a few more than a couple.......:o

uhlvirus
07-31-2009, 07:04
Cant wait until tonight! I have a Gurkha Beat and a bottle of PVW 20 yr waiting on me. Daddy's on his way home boys!

fricky
08-05-2009, 09:15
Today, I visited a great cigar store in Northeast Philadelphia - Holt's. I tried a Casa Magne Colorado Robusto. It was rated by Cigar Aficionado as the best cigar in 2008. Although I don't always agree with their ratings, this was an outstanding cigar. It had great flavors, excellent construction with a dark oily wrapper. I don't know if it is the best cigar from 2008, since I did not evaluate all of the cigars from 2008; however, I thought that it was good enough to buy a box.
Doug

smokinjoe
08-08-2009, 08:18
Troyce came over for a bourbon tasting, and we drove my wife and daughter from the premises with a selection of Arturo Fuente Anejo's, Padron 1964, and Blanton's (not a bad cigar for a novelty, BTW).
The smoke was also quite effective in keeping the local skeeter population at a safe distance from the patio. :D You know, there are few things as satisfying as spying a skeeter coming in for a snack, and driving her away with a full blast of exhaled cigar smoke. :bandit: I swear, you can almost hear the little bastards coughing and wheezing, as they haphazardly spiral back to the stagnant pool from which they came. :D

AVB
08-09-2009, 20:07
Felipe Gregorio Pelo de Oro Perfecto, quite tasty!

AVB
08-20-2009, 12:12
Diamond Crown Maximus Toro. Might just be my favorite Fuente blend.

DrinkyBanjo
08-20-2009, 14:48
Diamond Crown Maximus Toro. Might just be my favorite Fuente blend.

The other day I had an Oliva Series G Maduro, I think it was the Robusto. Nice smoke albiet a bit strong! It would have be great with a glass of Bourbon.

Lost Pollito
08-20-2009, 15:33
Just had a Casa Magna corona. Delicious lunch.:cool:

CajunKY
08-26-2009, 15:36
Got an Acid Kuba Kuba to smoke this weekend. Smells incredible. Any feedback?

AVB
08-26-2009, 19:15
I don't know of any serious cigar smoker that likes ACIDS but then.........everybody has to start somewhere.

CajunKY
08-26-2009, 23:10
I don't know of any serious cigar smoker that likes ACIDS but then.........everybody has to start somewhere.

Any reason it isn't a serious cigar? Because of the herbal and oil infusion? Guess its like wine and bourbon, drink what you like right?

AVB
08-27-2009, 06:02
Those flavored things are the Red Gag of the cigar world.

DrinkyBanjo
08-27-2009, 06:11
Those flavored things are the Red Gag of the cigar world.

I think its something to smoke around other folks because its can provide a more pleasant aroma than other cigars. They are made and smoke well so if its your cup of tea it isnt' a bad choice.

JamesW
08-28-2009, 20:08
The last few nights I've enjoyed Upmann 100 Robusto with my Bourbon. I'm thrilled by how good the combo is. I've never been a cigar smoker (just cigs in the past). I had one last night to finish a bottle of Pappy 20 and now I know why Pappy looks so happy with his cigar! I just had a Wathen's tonight with one and I was blown away by the combo. WOW:bigeyes:

MoeCizlak
09-18-2009, 20:10
I enjoyed a nice Don Pepin Blue Label lancero with some WT101 three nights ago. Followed by Gran Habano Cabinet Selection with some Baker's on Wednesday. Good cigars, good bourbon and good company.

ggilbertva
09-23-2009, 19:34
The last few nights I've enjoyed Upmann 100 Robusto with my Bourbon. I'm thrilled by how good the combo is. I've never been a cigar smoker (just cigs in the past). I had one last night to finish a bottle of Pappy 20 and now I know why Pappy looks so happy with his cigar! I just had a Wathen's tonight with one and I was blown away by the combo. WOW:bigeyes:

I love pairing a cigar and bourbon. I like to experiment between rye whiskey, rye bourbon and wheat bourbon. Tonight I paired a '79 Early Times KSBW and an Oliva Connecticut Reserve.

JamesW
09-25-2009, 21:42
I love pairing a cigar and bourbon. I like to experiment between rye whiskey, rye bourbon and wheat bourbon. Tonight I paired a '79 Early Times KSBW and an Oliva Connecticut Reserve.

Unfortunately my wife has put the Kybosh on my cigar smoking. She's been really tolerant of my whiskey drinking but when she saw me heading onto the porch a few nights in a row with a cigar in hand she flipped. Now I have to wait for her to fall asleep :grin:

ggilbertva
09-26-2009, 15:46
Unfortunately my wife has put the Kybosh on my cigar smoking. She's been really tolerant of my whiskey drinking but when she saw me heading onto the porch a few nights in a row with a cigar in hand she flipped. Now I have to wait for her to fall asleep :grin:

I totally understand. My wife's been giving me the hairy eyeball over my cigars. I've started smoking cigars a lot more recently, well, because they're really good and I enjoy the quiet time on the front porch. But to your point, I too have to wait many an evening for my wife to retire before "sneaking" out to the front porch. :skep:

ggilbertva
09-30-2009, 22:17
Tonight I enjoyed a cigar my son gave to me for my birthday. A La Aroma de Cuba.

JamesW
10-01-2009, 18:57
I totally understand. My wife's been giving me the hairy eyeball over my cigars. I've started smoking cigars a lot more recently, well, because they're really good and I enjoy the quiet time on the front porch. But to your point, I too have to wait many an evening for my wife to retire before "sneaking" out to the front porch. :skep:

My wife's on to me.... She falls asleep on the couch, I tell her to "just go to bed already" and she refuses until I go up.... darn, no cigars for me :hot: ... I'm really jonesing for one right now.

JamesW
10-01-2009, 20:20
Victory!!! :grin: With a little persistence got her up to bed... told her she was snoring to get her to go up. Had an Oro Rojo Royal Jamaica with some Pappy 15, I fall in love with bourbon all over again with a wonderful smoke. I'm still taking in deep breaths of my fingers to continue savoring the moment. Life is good no?

MoeCizlak
10-05-2009, 09:40
Tonight I enjoyed a cigar my son gave to me for my birthday. A La Aroma de Cuba.

What did you think of that cigar? I've had a couple of different sizes now and have enjoyed them.

Last week I had an LFD Double Pressed. Pretty good smoke with good flavors. Not as strong as a lot of LFD products.

fricky
10-05-2009, 17:25
What is an LFD? I like cigars; however, I don't know the identity of LFD.

DrinkyBanjo
10-06-2009, 06:19
What is an LFD? I like cigars; however, I don't know the identity of LFD.

I'm assuming La Flor Dominicana, anyone?

bigman
10-06-2009, 20:26
Yes, LFD is La Flor Dominicana
And I personally love their Double Ligero Chiselito or Double Ligero Chisel.

ggilbertva
10-07-2009, 18:32
What did you think of that cigar? I've had a couple of different sizes now and have enjoyed them.

Last week I had an LFD Double Pressed. Pretty good smoke with good flavors. Not as strong as a lot of LFD products.

I wasn't a bad smoke. It was pleasant, not overly strong, good flavor. Couple others he gave me I really enjoyed; CAO Gold Band and a Don Pepin Benchmade. The Benchmade has cocoa on the pre-lite draw and was smooth and creamy the whole smoke. Another one I really enjoy is the Macanudo Hyde Park, another smooth creamy cigar. I just recently ordered some Seconds from an online cigar site - Consuegra's, also called Connies. I put these in the humidor so we'll see how they are after they age a bit.

dhs3
10-09-2009, 07:51
Enjoyed a Padron Maduro 2000 last night with some Weller Spec. Reserve. The Cigar didn't really seem to impact the flavor of the bourbon for better or worse. On the other hand, the Weller seemed to really bring out the sweetness (Cocoa?) of the stogie. It was a really enjoyable pair I'm planning to try again to see if I get the same impression next time.

Don

ggilbertva
10-17-2009, 17:20
Enjoyed a Padron Maduro 2000 last night with some Weller Spec. Reserve. The Cigar didn't really seem to impact the flavor of the bourbon for better or worse. On the other hand, the Weller seemed to really bring out the sweetness (Cocoa?) of the stogie. It was a really enjoyable pair I'm planning to try again to see if I get the same impression next time.

Don

Cocoa, coffee and toasted nuts are my favorite flavors in a cigar. I have yet to have a bad pairing of bourbon and cigar. Some blend better than others but for the most part, it's nice to enjoy both.

dhs3
10-19-2009, 13:44
Last Friday I match a padron 2000 Maduro (can you tell I really like this cigar :lol: ) with Eagle Rare 10yr. Unfortunately, the pairing didn't go together too well. The cigar taste was deadened by the bourbon, and the bourbon took on a bitter note. I quickly finished the bourbon:drinking:and poured some Weller to finish the cigar with. The Weller seemed to go as well as previously.

ODaniel
10-19-2009, 20:45
So the other night I had my first real cigar. I've never smoked cigarettes regularly (I have smoked a handful in my life), but I didn't really like this. Some cigar smoke I like, some I don't. I got a Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real from work free because the foot was split a little bit. It only seemed slightly different than a cigarette. I know they are both tobacco, but I was expecting better flavor and aroma. I know it isn't a top quality cigar, but still. I only smoked like a 1/4 of it. Too damn cold outside. I even had a pour of OFS 100.

So, do you all think I probably just won't like cigars, or do you have a recommendation of something with big flavor and aroma.

Btw, I did everything correctly as far as prepping and smoking.

fricky
10-20-2009, 04:14
I would give it another chance before giving up on cigars. You should consider a better environment. It is difficult to enjoy anything let alone a cigar when your nuts are freezing. I realize that smoking in the house is not always an option. Try to find an indoor location. Some cigar stores have smoking lounges. In addition, many will permit you to bring a flask of your favorite adult beverage. Smoking cigars among like-minded friends is enjoyable and can be informative just like drinking bourbon with like-minded friends.

DrinkyBanjo
10-20-2009, 05:31
To me the enjoyment of smoking cigars comes from the circumstances and not necessarily the cigar itself. I enjoy cigars most when I'm relaxing and able to basically clear my mind of the other things that might normally occupy it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy quality cigars more than cheaper cigars but the right experience really makes it enjoyable.

I smoke cigars while tailgating too and for me that just isn't as enjoyable as sitting on my back patio with a nice pour on a peaceful sunny day. If you have a nice cigar lounge by you that is also a fine way to enjoy a good smoke.

dhs3
10-20-2009, 15:19
I agree that the environment makes a world of difference. I'm fortunate in that I have a heated room off of the garage that vents to the outside, so I can sit back with a good drink and take my time.

I recently had a RyJ Real Reserve and was not that impressed. I agree with the mostly tobacco taste observation. If you want something nutty tasting I would suggest giving the fuente hemingway series a try. For something along the Cocoa flavor line a good maduro type cigar such as Onyx (more mild), or padron (more full) would probably do.

I'm by no means a cigar expert, but these are a couple I've enjoyed. YMMMV.

ODaniel
10-20-2009, 20:39
Yea the guy that runs the humidor really likes this one cigar, but I forgot what it was. I told him the same thing. I'm going to try that and see how it is, hopefully when it's not real cold. Weather here is crazy. Did I read that maduros have more flavor and body? Maybe I would like those. I like my big bodied, big flavor beers (Imperial Stouts, 10+% abv, like used motor oil).

MoeCizlak
10-26-2009, 14:37
Yea the guy that runs the humidor really likes this one cigar, but I forgot what it was. I told him the same thing. I'm going to try that and see how it is, hopefully when it's not real cold. Weather here is crazy. Did I read that maduros have more flavor and body? Maybe I would like those. I like my big bodied, big flavor beers (Imperial Stouts, 10+% abv, like used motor oil).

Cold weather can really affect a cigar. The wrapper can split and really affect the taste as it throws the blend out of whack. When it gets cold outside, I generally go for a smaller cigar (less time spent outside) or head to a cigar lounge. Maduros can be more flavorful but may also tend to be a little sweeter in taste. If you're looking for fuller body, you might try some sungrown wrappers. Here's a good little article on the different wrappers used and a general taste description for each.

http://blogcritics.org/tastes/article/the-ten-things-to-know-about/

ODaniel
10-26-2009, 22:32
Cool, thanks man. I'd like to try another this week while it's decent, before it gets real cold.

ODaniel
10-29-2009, 12:17
I had The Edge Maduro last night. Not bad. Much better than the RyJ RR.

DrinkyBanjo
10-29-2009, 14:07
I had The Edge Maduro last night. Not bad. Much better than the RyJ RR.

I like all three "Edge" cigars. I get the missle size; a nice, small smoke.

hossman777
11-02-2009, 16:08
I haven't posted a lot on here, but this thread is right up my ally.

It's cold outside, but I've got a heated garage with a nice TV and a super comfy chair, so when I get home from work, I'll spend a little time with my family (wife, 2 year old son and 3 month old daughter) after which I'll retreat to the garage for a bit.

I picked up a bottle of Fighting Cock and a small bottle of Evan Williams Black (which I've never tried). I think I'm gonna smoke a Padilla Series 1968 Golden Bear (one AMAZING cigar!!!). I'll taste the Evan Williams Black, and if it's up to snuff, I'll drink it. Otherwise, I'll pour myself a Fighting Cock.

Joshua
11-03-2009, 22:06
5 vegas classic with sw old fitz prime.

we have an office humidor, and I'm not a huge cigar guy but grab things to sample out of there. The 5 Vegas isn't GREAT, but always seems dependable and i dont feel bad for smoking the crazy expensive stuff.

Getting leather and a bit of spice, then the old fitz cools it and has a really sweet honey taste. Works togather really well, sets each other off well.

Great way to spend an hour and a half on the back padio

ODaniel
11-06-2009, 01:14
I think I'm going to pick up a CAO MX2 at work tomorrow and smoke it some time this weekend. Maybe while I'm brewing my Christmas Stout.

SippinCharlie
11-10-2009, 14:39
After visiting the Buffalo Trace & Woodford Reserve distilleries this past Saturday as part of a friend's birthday celebration we sat down around a fire and finished the evening with a cigar.
I had an Ashton VSG Tres Mystique and it was fantastic! I was really impressed! It was a small cigar but had great flavor ... it was strong without being overpowering. I'd definitely recommend it!
Had we not forgotten our Camacho Liberty 2009's at home before setting out for the distilleries we would have smoked those on the banks of the Kentucky River after our tours were finished, but the Ashton by a fire was still a very good finish to the evening.

mgilbertva
11-23-2009, 18:15
I came across a couple of nice pairings. A couple weeks ago I had a Benchmade with some early '70s Old Crow and a country patÚ. I know it sounds random, but I got lucky. I was an astonishingly good combination.

Another interesting mix was McClelland's 2009 Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco with a ND-era, early '80s Old Taylor. Again, this worked really well for some reason. I wouldn't have guessed as the Christmas Cheer has a pronounced lemon and white pepper taste, but the OT was a great compliment.

ODaniel
11-29-2009, 00:51
Had an Alec Bradley Tempus the other day. Pretty good.

smokinjoe
11-29-2009, 12:07
Had an Alec Bradley Tempus the other day. Pretty good.

I've found the Alec Bradley line to be very "hit or miss". But, I also thoroughly enjoyed a Tempus last night while sitting outside by the fireplace, listening to the UGA/GT game on the radio. Worked well with the WTRR 101 and the Handy.

bigman
12-04-2009, 00:46
I have found the Alec Bradley MAXX line to be fairly pleasing also. The Fix, and Nano sizes are great, and if you have all day the Ego is very good, out of a half box, not a single draw problem, which with the size (9 ╝ X 50) just amazes me.

SippinCharlie
01-11-2010, 13:56
I most recently had a AF Hemingway "Work of Art" ... and as with all offerings from the Hemingway line it was a very nice cigar.

ggilbertva
01-20-2010, 21:12
Nothing and I'm not happy about it. It's too cold and I don't smoke in the house. :smiley_acbt:

RJW
01-30-2010, 13:51
May I recommend a Padron 45th?

smokinjoe
01-31-2010, 21:01
I had a nice fire going in the outdoor fireplace, tonight. An assortment of pours accompanied by a Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut. A very nice, easy smoking stick to wind down the weekend.

AVB
02-01-2010, 17:46
God of Fire - Don Carlos was offered to the Gods today. Great stick but a bit pricey.

Tennessee Dave
02-02-2010, 08:00
GL Pease's Embacadero in a Rad Davis Squashed Tomato

Vange
02-02-2010, 12:08
I was on the market for some milder cubans, so I bought some:

El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme - more medium than light, but a nice smoke
Fonseca Cosacos - right up my alley and exactly the relaxing light smoke I wanted

I paired the two cigars above with a WLW 06. Nice pairing on both cigars.

The other suggestion I received and ordered was RyJ Short Churchills. I planned on smoking one this weekend, but I was ill.

jbenuniv
02-02-2010, 18:36
Had a Te Amo Cuban Blend. Looks like a Nub, but not the same quality, and all Mexican tobacco if I understand correctly. Not a bad stick, overall.

ggilbertva
02-07-2010, 13:50
While plowing all the snow (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=195937&postcount=31)yesterday, I tried smoking a connie. It was still snowing and the cigar kept going out. I only got about 1/2 way through before giving up.

cigarnv
02-10-2010, 04:18
As of late I have really like the Upmann Mag 48, one of the 2009 EL's from Havana. Great size, loaded with flavor that is Upmannesque but sweeter that the Mag 46 with good complexity and a nice finish. A real nice cigar for one so young. This is one vitola that I hope emerges as a regular production stick as we saw happen with the Mag 50.

BourbonJoe
02-10-2010, 09:16
I smoked a Rocky Patel Sun Grown the other night. I was pleasantly surprised. Not a bad stick.

Tennessee Dave
02-10-2010, 09:29
a Bowl of Gawith & Hoggarth's Kendal Flake in a Randy Wiley bent Galleon

smokinjoe
02-10-2010, 11:36
a Bowl of Gawith & Hoggarth's Kendal Flake in a Randy Wiley bent Galleon

That's easy for you to say. :D

ggilbertva
04-25-2010, 18:56
Monte #2 while trying various bourbons.

cigarnv
04-26-2010, 13:43
Monte #2 while trying various bourbons.

Monte #2 while sitting next to Greg and drinking all his bourbon.... I really liked the Old Fitz from the 40's he was pouring.... excellent mixed with diet Coke. You think he would bring out some fresh bourbon but he just keeps pouring stuff from the 60's to the 90's. He must be saving the tasty fresh stuff for Em......

He also fixed a light lunch... 2 pound rib eye, potatos, slaw, etc..... Great afternoon my friend!!!!

dean_martin
04-29-2010, 09:38
I smoked a Rocky Patel Sun Grown the other night. I was pleasantly surprised. Not a bad stick.

Obviously, I haven't kept up with this thread in a while. I tried the Sun Grown not long ago and was surprised by its tastiness as well. It was the most memorable in a Patel sampler.

foxflyer5
05-12-2010, 14:44
im no aficionado by any means, so i usually just pick up a variety from the tobacco shop until i find what i like. i tend to like most of what Macanudo puts out. fairly mellow and never seems to overpower the bourbon im having with it.

BourbonJoe
05-12-2010, 20:22
Had a Cain "F" while I was in Kentucky. Very good smoke but not for the faint hearted.

ggilbertva
05-21-2010, 20:25
im no aficionado by any means, so i usually just pick up a variety from the tobacco shop until i find what i like. i tend to like most of what Macanudo puts out. fairly mellow and never seems to overpower the bourbon im having with it.

If you like the Macanudo, then you'll probably like the 5 Vegas Gold. Nice flavor, creamy and mild to moderate strength. Another good one is Puros Indios Veijo; aged 6 years using a mixed long filler. Good price when they are on sale for around $30 for 20.

ggilbertva
05-21-2010, 20:29
It's a perfect night, mild weather so sitting on the front porch enjoying a 3 Siglos Gran Habano. Good amount of flavor, tons of smoke....pretty decent although the burn is inconsistent.

foxflyer5
05-24-2010, 11:00
friday night was one of those perfect nights. sat on the deck listening to the baseball game, with a beer, a glass of Hirsch, and an Ashton Cabinet churchill. definitely my favorite cigar to date, but too pricey to have often.

foxflyer5
06-12-2010, 18:00
had a few carolina cigar company smokes while i was on vacation. okay, i guess, but nothing specials.

i also enjoyed an alec bradley while sitting by the lake. thats a very nice cigar. a little fuller, but very well balanced. even the wifey enjoyed the aroma, which is rare.

JamesW
06-13-2010, 21:01
Just had my first cigar in many months. Cuesta-Rey Centenario from the Dominican Republic. I bought this 6 months ago and it was pretty stale but I enjoyed it anyways. I had it with a Handy Rye 2009. The poor thing kept unraveling in my hand and I had a lot of spitting due to a considerable amount of saliva production while smoking. I assume that was due to the stale-ness. Nonetheless, I enjoyed sitting on the porch and pairing it with the rye. :)

ErichPryde
06-14-2010, 02:20
For the first time in many months, I lit my pipe up on the back porch while chatting with Paul and Joe in the gazebo. My pipe tobacco of choice is IQ-40 (I think), which always has a different name. I've found it labeled IQ-140, Wildcat, and now that I've found it here in Tucson, it bears the name "Wilshire."

I haven't experimented much with pipe tobacco, I smoke a pipe somewhere between 3 and 12 times a year, typically 6. I've only tried 3 or 4 different kinds of pipe tobacco.

I thought that Wild Turkey 12 year old was an absolutely stellar pairing with the pipe last night... not that I can do that very often! :D

Anybody got another pipe tobacco I should try? I don't think I like black cavendish, but it's been probably 5 years since I've even tried it. Not sure how many people smoke pipes on this forum!

woody
06-14-2010, 08:00
La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero wedge. Powerful, flavorful, awesome.:bandit:

foxflyer5
06-14-2010, 09:42
yesterday evening i enjoyed an Excalibur 1066. honduran cigar with a cameroon wrapper. not bad at all. went well with the finger of Hirsch i was sipping.

ratcheer
06-14-2010, 12:33
Just had my first cigar in many months. Cuesta-Rey Centenario from the Dominican Republic. I bought this 6 months ago and it was pretty stale but I enjoyed it anyways. I had it with a Handy Rye 2009. The poor thing kept unraveling in my hand and I had a lot of spitting due to a considerable amount of saliva production while smoking. I assume that was due to the stale-ness. Nonetheless, I enjoyed sitting on the porch and pairing it with the rye. :)

Back when I was smoking, I often enjoyed Cuesta Rey cigars. They were very good for the price.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at a cigar store to stock up on a few cans of General snus. I almost succumbed to the temptation to buy a good cigar and smoke it there in their smoking room. But, I knew it would be a steep, slippery slope, so I resisted the urge. ;)

Tim

woody
06-16-2010, 01:22
Don Tomas Maduro Robusto, with some OWA on a nice, mild, sunny day on the patio. This is a very nice smoke. Extremely pleasant. I might have to keep these stocked all the time.

BourbonJoe
06-16-2010, 05:41
Last night on the bourbon deck I enjoyed a Casa Magna Colorado Toro (2008 cigar of the year) and a pour of 17 y/o Stitzel-Weller (Jefferson's Presedential Select). Sublime pairing.

foxflyer5
06-16-2010, 09:08
my wife asked me not to smoke this week. i dunno, something about bad habits and life health and stuff. whatever, i said its cool cuz i have a humidor im conditioning this week anyways. once thats ready to go, ill build the cigar collection up again.

ErichPryde
06-16-2010, 13:21
Searching through old posts for fellow pipe smokers, I found a suggestion for a pipe tobacco called Marlin Flake, so I ordered some.

Doggerlander
06-16-2010, 15:20
It was bargain night around here the day before last. I had a Five Star bundle cigar from JR with an EC12. My bottle of EC12 is OK and seems like a real bargain for a 12yo at $22 in Cleveland. The Five Star smokes well and tastes pretty good for a mild, bundle cigar. I've got to quit buying cheap cigars, though; life is too short.

foxflyer5
06-16-2010, 20:28
i usually try to buy a couple cheaper cigars and a couple nicer ones whenever i go to the shop. im always hoping to find a good value cigar that could be my go to cigar, so i dont feel bad about buying a pricey one every now and then. i found that La Vieja Habana is a decent cigar for under $3.

woody
06-17-2010, 03:29
Today will be enjoying a Oliva Serie G Maduro Robusto on the way home. Supposed to be a good one, and I can hardly wait.

woody
06-18-2010, 03:12
Waiting another day for the Olive Serie G, instead had a Partagas Black Label Bravo with some Old Fitz BIB.

fricky
06-18-2010, 07:55
Woody, Have you ever tried an Oliva Serie V Ligero Especial? I have the Double Robusto and the Belicoso. They are excellent. If you get a chance, try one.
Doug

woody
06-19-2010, 04:31
Woody, Have you ever tried an Oliva Serie V Ligero Especial? I have the Double Robusto and the Belicoso. They are excellent. If you get a chance, try one.
Doug

Actually that's what I ended up having. I thought I picked up the G, but when I took it out last night, it was the V. Very nice. Probably one of the best I've had. I usually buy cigars 3-6 at a time, and usually keep trying different things (smoked cigars occasionally several years ago, but just recently took it up again). I'm looking for 2-3 that I really like, then will order in greater quantitiy online. This V is likely going to be one of the 3 unless I find 3 more that are better than this.

fricky
06-19-2010, 06:07
Recently, I tried a La Traviata by CAO and thought that it was outstanding. Since my first trial, I purchased 2 boxes. During the recent Spring gathering in Houston, I was able to get a box for $93 plus tax. Prior to that , I was paid about $106 plus tax. If you get a chance, try one.

woody
06-22-2010, 02:56
Searching for a daily smoker. Tried a H.Upmann 1844 churchill which wasnt too bad. Then tried a La Floridita Maduro Corona, hoping it would at least be decent. Reviews were very mixed, so I found one locally and tried it. Horrible. Hard draw, uneven burn throughout, and the taste and aroma was blah.

foxflyer5
06-29-2010, 07:17
had a La Gloria Cubana last night along with some OF. i was excited to try it, but it had a very uneven burn and i thought it lacked flavor.

woody
07-05-2010, 19:08
I just had a La Gloria Cubana the other day as well. I though it was decent. A bit on the mild side but ok none the less. Yesterday I had a Rocky Patel Edge. It was actually comparable to the La Gloria Cubana. Tonight I have a Kristoff Ligero Maduro Matador with some Willets Family Special Reserve.

BourbonJoe
07-05-2010, 20:09
Smoked a "Cain-F" ( By Oliva) 6 X 60, 100% Ligero. It was outstanding. I just bought another box.

tsangster
07-06-2010, 15:50
Recently bought a brown bag sampler from Cigars International. After about a month's rest in the humidor I've tried:

Padilla Achilles
El Mejor Emerald
La Aurora Leonimos

All were underwhelming (burn issues, cracked wrapper, tastes like crap, etc). Can't bring myself to try the remaining 7.

Didn't come in the sampler but I have recently enjoyed an Alec Bradley Select Cabinet Reserve, CAO Gold and Oliva G.

ggilbertva
07-08-2010, 14:08
Last night I relaxed outside with a A. Fuente Gran Reserva and paired it with an '08 ER17

foxflyer5
07-09-2010, 08:35
tonight should be fun. im flying solo to a bluegrass show, and then i plan on relaxing with a drink and a smoke. i picked up some samplers a few weeks ago from 5 Vegas, Don Pepin, and Oliva. but i think ill go with the AF Hemingway that i purchased to cheer myself up after the US got knocked out of the World Cup.

rocky480
07-11-2010, 07:11
Last night I took advantage of the cooler temps with a Fuente Don Carlos Belicoso and a couple pours of Lot B.

foxflyer5
07-11-2010, 16:33
whats Lot B? i dont think im familiar with that.

that Hemingway on friday was an excellent smoke. perfect burn, perfect ash, went great with a couple pours of Wathen's. smoked it on the deck while listening to the baseball game. phillies came from 6 runs down in the bottom of the ninth to win with a two-run shot in the tenth. the game got so good that i ended up smoking it right down to the label.

now i have a Saint Luis Rey going with some Noah's Mill. not a bad smoke, but not one that people around you would enjoy.

matthew0715
07-11-2010, 21:43
whats Lot B? i dont think im familiar with that.

That's shorthand for Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 years old 90.4 proof, as seen here (http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFLNA?opendocument).

There's a list of commonly used abbreviations here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=43&a=8).

foxflyer5
07-12-2010, 09:00
ah yes, thanks. i finally found some VW, but i had the misfortune of having my wife with me. and she wouldnt let me spend $50 on Lot B or the $90 on the PVW 15 year.

foxflyer5
07-22-2010, 08:13
after a nice thai dinner last night, i enjoyed a 5 Vegas Gold on the deck with a Narragansset beer. topped it all off with a sip of Noah's Mill.

my lady even enjoyed the smell of the smoke when she popped out on the deck for a minute.

jbenuniv
07-25-2010, 20:10
Just smoked a La Aroma de Cuba with a glass of EC18. Never smoked one before, but it went pretty well with the bourbon.

barturtle
07-25-2010, 20:49
Oliva Serie G Belicoso paired with Benchmark Single Barrel.

foxflyer5
07-26-2010, 07:47
had a Oliva Connecticut Reserve Robusto on Saturday that was pretty good.

tsangster
07-26-2010, 15:12
Had a Rocky Patel Edge Lite (toro) with a healthy pour of OGD BIB yesterday. Not bad but probably would have been better in cooler weather (< 100F).

barturtle
07-26-2010, 21:30
Cubao #5 with JW Dant 10yo Whisky and VSOF 12yo...1.5 hours of fine smokin'

blopez50
07-27-2010, 14:26
I just came upon some more Opus xXx!

This is my first one from the fathers day release this year and I'm thinking that Ill be burying these ones for a while... still really young.

foxflyer5
07-28-2010, 07:17
last night i had a Don Pepin Cuban Classic with a couple fingers of Elmer T Lee. turned out to be a winning combination.

blopez50
07-28-2010, 17:24
EP Carillo Short Run

Damn fine smoke IMHO.

The EW SB isn't bad at all either!

ggilbertva
08-02-2010, 14:13
Last Friday I got in a sample pack of the new 5 Vegas Gold Maduro. Wrapper had a coffee/sweet aroma to it. Pre-light has a moderate flavor of coffee and a hint of dark chocolate. Drawing on this stick was pleasant enough with a charred coffee flavor and dark earth. Not a powerful cigar and certainly in the "mild" category as the regular Gold natural. A good smoke maybe with a morning coffee.

cigarnv
08-04-2010, 12:01
Enjoyed a 2000 Upmann #2 last evening... creamy and delicious.....

BourbonJoe
08-04-2010, 17:20
Enjoyed a 2000 Upmann #2 last evening... creamy and delicious.....
Was that a Cuban Upman?

rocky480
08-04-2010, 20:11
Got to enjoy a Matasa 30th Anniversary Perfecto last night. I'm kicking myself for not buying more of these sticks when they were being blown out at $6 a piece last year.

lrochau
08-04-2010, 20:57
Golfing weekend in Minnesota so I get to make a list of bottles of booze to buy up north and pack the Cigars. 18 holes, great course, better take 4 cigars:

Oliva V figurado
Diplomaticos No.2
San Cristobal Supremo
Cohiba Siglo VI

Pick up a bottle of Pappy's and life will be good.

cigarnv
08-05-2010, 03:31
Was that a Cuban Upman?

Yes it was Joe.... Greg was here last night and smoked one also.... great cigar!!!

BourbonJoe
08-05-2010, 08:36
Yes it was Joe.... Greg was here last night and smoked one also.... great cigar!!!
Fricky gave me one the other week. You are right, it is a great cigar.

cigarnv
08-07-2010, 04:31
Over at a buddies place enjoying a few bourbons, BBQ and a 2001 Monte Especial #1. Great cigar from an era where they were made at CLE (Laquita factory). Just coming into it's own after close to 10 years of box age..... A much over looked vitola.

BourbonJoe
08-08-2010, 18:16
Had a visit from a fellow burbonian and his wife today and enjoyed a pour of Four Roses Barrel Proof OBSK and an Opus X cigar (thanks to Fricky). Both were sublime.

foxflyer5
08-10-2010, 14:09
my friend gave me a La Aurora 107, which i had last night. it was a nice robusto that fit perfectly between work and cooking dinner. still working on that Elmer T Lee, which wasnt a bad compliment to the cigar.

Bonfire Smoke
08-13-2010, 16:08
I had a Fuente Queen B and some Wild Turkey Rare Breed last night. I was very disappointed in the cigar. This has to be the first Fuente that I have not liked. Anyway, the bourbon was good.

RJW
08-14-2010, 11:56
Traveled to Clarksville, Tn this week to visit a great friend. Wed night was Elmer T Lee paired with a Limitado IV. Thursday night, Michter's No 1 and another LFD. This time the Museo.

Two good nights on the deck.

cigarnv
08-16-2010, 06:14
Partagas Salamone 2010 LCdH release. Big cigar, loaded with flavor... spice, coffee, earth. Great balance and complexity with liitle harshness for a young cigar...

Halifax
08-16-2010, 10:31
Been a while since I smoked a nice cigar. Last night had a Partagas Aristocrat along with a few pours of EC18. In a rocker on the front porch... Now that's relaxin'!

cigarnv
08-16-2010, 14:50
Been a while since I smoked a nice cigar. Last night had a Partagas Aristocrat along with a few pours of EC18. In a rocker on the front porch... Now that's relaxin'!

The Parti Aristocrat is a nice cigar and a very good value.. always have some on hand...

Halifax
08-16-2010, 17:10
The Parti Aristocrat is a nice cigar and a very good value.. always have some on hand...

It's the first time that I've ever had one. I picked up a 5-pack along with a few others recently. I must say that I really enjoyed it. I have had many Partagas No. 1s over the years, and I have always found it to be a good smoke for the money.

barturtle
08-16-2010, 19:08

There seem to be two Aristocrats, the Cuban and the non. The Cuban is a 40ring, the NC a 50.

Today I enjoyed a Punch Rothschild EMS (NC) out on the deck with some iced coffee and a book.

ggilbertva
08-16-2010, 19:33
This evening, I decided on a NC and went with a My Father Le Bijou 1922. A great flavorful cigar. I went low brow on the drink....DC and Charter 101