PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Michigan

chefmel
06-04-2008, 15:28
Hi everyone,

What a great site and a great group of people! I've been a bourbon lover for 30 years and have found a new home here at SB.com. Just wanted to say hi - keep up the great posts. I had a great uncle in the bourbon business in Deatsville many years ago and will be starting a thread later about him to glean any information any of you may have. Keep up the great posts!!

Mark

Special Reserve
06-04-2008, 15:43
Mark,

Welcome, if you've been lurking you know that MI is well represented.

I grew up in the thumb in the 60's. Get this, as a "class trip" when I was a senior in high school (a Catholic school at that) we went to Frankenmuth and toured the brewery and eat at Zehnder's. Boy times have change.

Will

ACDetroit
06-04-2008, 16:26
Mark, welcome from another Michigander. I hope you learn as much here as I feel I have! Man, and I'm just gettin started after not quite a year. The vast wealth of knowledge has amazed me daily and continues to educate me.

I travel past exit 136 quite often and Frankenmuth Industries is one of the fabricators we us in my line of work. You may know George Anscomb, he's the owner!

Any way if your ever south of Port Houron, my bar is always open and SBer's are always welcome to stop by for refreshments :cool:.

Look forward to you participation!

Tony

OscarV
06-04-2008, 16:57
Hi chefmel/Mark, you found the right place.
Maybe our paths will cross sometime, until then Cheers!

chefmel
06-04-2008, 18:25
Thanks Special_Reserve for the warm welcome! How about this - I worked at the brewery you toured all through the 1980's right up until they closed in July of 1990. At one time, I worked for Zehnder's (my first job out of chef school) and now work for the Bavarian Inn Corp. across the street! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Mark

chefmel
06-04-2008, 18:30
ACDetroit,

Although I've enjoyed a variety of bourbons over the past 30 years, I have a lot more to learn about it and know this site will help me a lot. I know George well - he's a part of our fantasy football league, and his sister-in-law is my boss at work! I'd love to stop by your bar sometime and imbibe - let me know where you're located.

Mark

chefmel
06-04-2008, 18:31
OscarV,

Cheer's to you also. Where's Napolean located?

Mark

JeffRenner
06-04-2008, 20:05
Mark

Let me add my welcome to you. I keep trying to figure out how we all in S.E. Michigan can get together but I haven't done it yet. Driving after bourbon is the problem.

Jeff

OscarV
06-05-2008, 01:22
OscarV,

Cheer's to you also. Where's Napolean located?

Mark

Southeast of Jackson, Napoleon is actually a Township of Jackson.

cas
06-05-2008, 04:35
Driving after bourbon is the problem.
Jeff

Then maybe we should just have rye.
Craig

Mike R
06-05-2008, 06:19
Allow me to add a belated welcome from Mid-Michigan. I am sure you will get turned on to many fine bourbons. I sure have!

Mike

Dr. François
06-05-2008, 06:54
Greetings from Lansing/East Lansing.

I was just up toward Frankenmuth/Birch Run on Monday.

Glad you found your way over to SB.com. It's a great place and a great resource.

I have to say, I would still be a total noob if the guys from MI hadn't helped out with my education.

What are some of your favorite go-to bottles?

ACDetroit
06-05-2008, 10:08
Cool Mark, I'm also friends with George's Son-in-law - Jason.

As for my location, I'm south of Port Huron by 30 minute and North of Detroit by 10 minutes.

If you are over on the East side some time let me know and I'll direct you in. We might even be able to find something you've never had before.

AC

Dr. François
06-05-2008, 10:13
If you are over on the East side some time let me know and I'll direct you in. We might even be able to find something you've never had before.

AC

And if you can't find something you've never had before at Tony's house, you can at least find EVERYTHING you've EVER had before.
:bigeyes::grin:

chefmel
06-05-2008, 18:49
Southeast of Jackson, Napoleon is actually a Township of Jackson.

My wife's brother and his family live in Jackson - small world!!

Mark

chefmel
06-05-2008, 18:52
Mark

Let me add my welcome to you. I keep trying to figure out how we all in S.E. Michigan can get together but I haven't done it yet. Driving after bourbon is the problem.

Jeff

Hey Jeff - When you find the perfect party store, let me know where it is. Selection up here is fair. I found a fantastic store in Toledo last winter - the bourbon rack was 15ft. long, 8ft. high with 6 to 8 shelves of nothing but bourbon! Great selection of beer also. Wish I could remember the name of the store.

Mark

chefmel
06-05-2008, 18:55
Allow me to add a belated welcome from Mid-Michigan. I am sure you will get turned on to many fine bourbons. I sure have!

Mike
Hi Mike,

I found a tremendous variety over the years and I'm looking forward to getting some feedback from the group here on some new ones I haven't tried yet.

Mark

chefmel
06-05-2008, 19:00
Greetings from Lansing/East Lansing.

What are some of your favorite go-to bottles?

That's a hard one to say as I'm constantly trying new ones. My last two bottles were Bulleit and Ezra B. Single Barrel, both new for me. I remember years ago drinking Very Old Ezra - came in a wooden box and was quite good as I remember. Don't know if they even make it anymore. I'd gotten the nickname Ezra as we both share the same last name:lol: . Anyway, my usual repeat purchases are either EWSB or Very Old Bartons. The Bartons is hard to find here in Mi. - I have the girl at the local party store special order it for me when I need it.

Mark

chefmel
06-05-2008, 19:02
I'd be happy to have something I've never had before, Or everything I've ever had before!! Thanks Tony, I'll take you up on it next time I'm over your way!

Mark

fishnbowljoe
06-05-2008, 19:32
Well, looks like you Michigan boys have brought another one into the fold.:bowdown: Welcome Mark. Seems like a pretty good group of folks up there that you're now a part of. Hope you have a good time. I know it's been fun for me. After a couple of months of visiting this site I joined up about 3 months ago. Been having a ball every since. Learned a lot too. Again, welcome and enjoy. Joe

cas
06-06-2008, 04:22
That's a hard one to say as I'm constantly trying new ones. My last two bottles were Bulleit and Ezra B. Single Barrel, both new for me.

Mark

Keep your eyes open for the 15 year Ezra B. vs the 12 year. The bottles are identical, but the 15 year is more interesting whiskey. I've found a couple of the 15 since I moved to MI.
Craig

chefmel
06-10-2008, 18:30
Keep your eyes open for the 15 year Ezra B. vs the 12 year. The bottles are identical, but the 15 year is more interesting whiskey. I've found a couple of the 15 since I moved to MI.
Craig

Thanks Craig. Mine is the 12yr so I'll keep an eye out for the 15. Found this one at a local grocery store in Clio of all places! Pretty good pour but a little sweeter than I normally like. The bulleit is beautiful - I've read it has the most rye of any bourbon out there. I must like the rye bourbons, and maybe I should try a bottle of Rye sometime. Any suggestions for a starter bottle?

Mark

OscarV
06-11-2008, 11:09
- When you find the perfect party store, let me know where it is.
Mark

If you get to the Ann Arbor area look up A & L Wine Castle.

chefmel
06-11-2008, 18:42
Thanks for the info Oscar!

Mark