PDA

View Full Version : Does your spouse drink bourbon?

CorvallisCracker
06-05-2008, 10:57
It may be that this has been discussed before, but a cursory search of the archives turns up no thread that appears to address it directly. Plus with the huge number of new members (see my post "Hyperbolic" in the Welcome to SB.com forum) it could stand a revisit anyway.

Anyway, does your spouse drink bourbon? If so, any preferences?

Mine does. She likes BT, VW Lot B, and Woodford Reserve. As of last evening she likes Saz Jr.

She generally takes it on-the-rocks.

ACDetroit
06-05-2008, 11:03
As of right now the only bourbon I can get Michelle to drink is a mint julep, hand made, I have not tried the MM pre-made on her yet.

I can not get her top try on the rocks, neat or even righht out the bottle yet but we'll keep her. She does like a dirty martini so I know the bourbon is just a taste thing because she can drink the afore mentioned!

AC

spun_cookie
06-05-2008, 11:31
I have just got my drinking mixed drinks. I make a wide verify of drinks and about a dozen chocolatetinis.

I have been getting her to smell my bourbons and pick out different things. Once and a while she will taste... Not a fan yet, but give me time :D

chilidawg7
06-05-2008, 13:55
If and when my wife chooses to partake, it is always the same. She has sampled a few of my choices, but always goes back to her first love. And who I am to argue? :)

She prefers Maker's mixed with 1/2 Coke and 1/2 Diet Coke.

virtualelvis
06-05-2008, 13:56
Mrs. VE is strictly an Apple Martini and Mike's Hard Lemonade woman.

Gillman
06-05-2008, 14:01
My spouse does like bourbon. She likes Knob Creek. She will try other bourbons but finds KC to be the best. She likes it on the rocks with a little water usually. Also, sometimes she likes a Manhattan, not too sweet. She does not like straight rye (any kind except ORVW 13 years old, which admittedly is bourbon-like). She does not like Jack Daniels except for the occasional Single Barrel but seems unimpressed generally with it. (I think after 35 years I have developed a taste for Jack. Shucks, took me only 20 to like single malt!).

Gary

HighTower
06-05-2008, 14:51
Brenda does not like bourbon....in fact she doesn't drink much at all.
And when she does, it doesn't take much!:lol:

She will normally drink a sweet white wine, usually Moscato.

Scott

cigarnv
06-05-2008, 14:56
Almost exclusively pinot noir for mine.... a vodka martini now and then....

fishnbowljoe
06-05-2008, 15:15
No. She'll taste some of mine once in a while when I have one with a mixer. Other than that, maybe wine coolers or a sweet mixed drink. When we went to the KBF last year she tried one of the offerings after one of our distillery tours. After the first one she let me have all the rest.:grin: She has a good nose though. When I get a new bourbon she'll smell it, and can pick out the aromas that I just can't seem to put my finger on. Joe

PhilsFan
06-05-2008, 15:32
Penny will have an occasional white wine, margarita or whiskey sour...she won't drink bourbon, but she's understanding when it comes to me having it and buying it. (so far, but I only have 11 bottles)

-Joe

OscarV
06-05-2008, 15:47
Yes, in Manhattans, Old Fashion, Kentucky Bedwarmers, Coca-Cola, rocks and neat.
But not exclusive bourbon. Other spirits are cachaca, rum, gin and vodka.
Also enjoys beer, wine, champagne and me.

camduncan
06-05-2008, 15:50
Hell No!! Jen hates the taste of bourbon! She's normally a wine, bubbly or fortified wine drinker. But, I was very proud of her in KY.... she made the effort to taste several samples offered her when we visited various distilleries :cool:

1990Z51
06-05-2008, 16:06
My wife likes her some whiskey.

This is a shot during some good tailgating at a Bears game a few years back.

Despite the cold weather, we were all quit warm!!

jeff
06-05-2008, 16:19
Leslie is a martini (gin with traces of vermouth) gal at heart, but she does have a fondness for bourbon whiskey that retails for $80 and up:smiley_acbt:

ThomasH
06-05-2008, 16:32
My wife Aimee is primarily a Crown Royal drinker. Sometimes she drinks vodka and orange juice but when she wants bourbon, its Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve!

Thomas

ILLfarmboy
06-05-2008, 19:47
Janean hates the smell of any whiskey, Brandy, rum or Tequila. She loves bloody marys and the occasional screw driver. The closest I have ever seen her to drinking bourbon would be SC and orange juice.

Her drink of choice is white wine; Pino Grigio or Chardonnay.

TomH
06-05-2008, 20:13
Barb only drinks bourbon when she tries the different cocktails at the Sampler or Festival events. She really liked the Lemongrass Sour from the Beam dinner and the BourbonRita (I forget the distillery) at the Gala. She doesn't care for any spirits straight and I'm not trying to get her interested. I don't need competition for my favorite bottles.

Tom

JamesW
06-05-2008, 20:32
Only wine for my wife. Mostly Merlot. Sometimes a Corona if I'm having.

mgilbertva
06-05-2008, 22:08
Yes, but she cuts it with water. I like mine stronger (although hazmat GTS is a bit much). She likes hers about, oh, 20-30 pf. I tease her about her bourbon-flavored water.

Megawatt
06-06-2008, 05:46
My wife thinks I'm crazy.

JamesW
06-06-2008, 06:26

You got that right. My wife thinks this obsession is ridiculous and that I need help. I tell her the only help I'll need is unloading the palettes of bourbon I want to order for my bunker.http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

OldJack
06-06-2008, 09:32
My wife loves the smell of bourbon and will occasional have a bourbon-based drink, but she won't sip the stuff neat or on the rocks.

She really prefers your classic rum and tequila cocktails, especially mojitos and margaritas and such. But at least she drinks real margaritas, not the frozen kool-aid concoctions that many places like to serve up.

smokinjoe
06-06-2008, 10:09
Amy doesn't drink bourbon at all. She'll have an occasional white wine, margarita, or appletini. Particularly when she's getting together with her girlfriends for "Girls Night Out".

Like others have said about their wives, mine has a great nose (nice legs, too! ;) ), for identifying different smells in my bourbon. When I pick up a new bottle, I'll many times giver her the first pour to nose, before I check it out. She has a gift for picking up and identifying subtle aromas.

JOE

cas
06-06-2008, 10:40
My wife will have a small glass neat every once in a while - usually when the port runs out, which she prefers. And she'll drink cocktails with bourbon in them.
Craig

VERITAS
06-06-2008, 11:32
My wife didn't until our trip to Kentucky... now she is a big fan - Maker's is her current favorite.

Stu
06-06-2008, 12:02
Bernadette loves malt neat. However she is finally learning to enjoy bourbon in "Kentucky coffee" (bourbon instead of Irish whiskey) and an unsweetened mint julep. She does enjoy a good rye neat or on one cube however.

Whiskey Willie
06-06-2008, 12:05
Nah, my wife does not partake in my bourbon. She prefers wine (her family owns a winery), though she has shown more interest in microbrews lately.

Jono
06-06-2008, 14:17
Nope...just foo foo drinks...Amaretto Stone Sours, Margaritas etc...nothing wrong with them...but no beer, no whiskey....actually, I would hate her having beer breath....fruit flavors are much better!

camduncan
06-06-2008, 15:13

Jen did/does too. Our recent trip to the USA were she met some of the SB.com crowd has mellowed her view though. Now she understands and appreciates (and even enjoys) the social aspect of what we do, as well as the industry that we all support, but she still thinks I'm crazy wanting to try and buy nearly every brand of bourbon I come across.

SippinJim
06-06-2008, 16:20
Nope! Ms. Sippin prefers either white or red wine which is OK with me.

SBOmarc
06-06-2008, 16:43
Kim doesn't get the bourbon thing at all. She does drink Wines, Champagne, Beer and all kinds of Martini's. She has no problem with my obsession, she encourages it.

del
06-06-2008, 16:51
My wife will only have Basil Heyden once in a while with water and lemon twist. That is a great bourbon if your wife has never had bourbon before.
My best friend Lynne loves her some bourbon. I bought her a bottle of Rock Hill Farms for her birthday

Special Reserve
06-06-2008, 17:44
del,

Welcome to the board. MI is well represented here.

By the way, my wife only occasionally will drink bourbon. She usually drinks beer or red wine. 35 years ago she hated beer until I introduced her to good beer, now she has one most every day.

Will

ACDetroit
06-06-2008, 17:55
Welcome aboard Del! Where you located? I'm in Harrison Township just north of Detroit.

Tony

ratcheer
06-06-2008, 19:07
My wife drinks bourbon once in a blue moon. At those times, it is mixed with Coca Cola. :rolleyes: Her drinks of choice are Gin and Tonics and Margaritas.

Tim

darkluna
06-06-2008, 21:03
The Mrs. likes the bourbon. She has learned that if I'm drinking it, she will probably like it. This is a double-edged sword, as now my favorite bottles disappear twice as fast. She even likes OGD BIB for mixing our Manhattans.

ratcheer
06-07-2008, 06:09
The Mrs. likes the bourbon. She has learned that if I'm drinking it, she will probably like it. This is a double-edged sword, as now my favorite bottles disappear twice as fast. She even likes OGD BIB for mixing our Manhattans.

It seems to me that OGD BIB would be a perfect bourbon for Manhattans. Its not too expensive, either. Unless you have trouble finding it, what's the problem?

Tim

del
06-07-2008, 09:59
Welcome aboard Del! Where you located? I'm in Harrison Township just north of Detroit.

Tony

Thanks... I am in Ferndale. This site is great. I have been lurking for a while and just bought a bottle of Ten high the May BOTM. Not a bad bourbon at all for the money and blows away beam white in taste.

jburlowski
06-07-2008, 10:23
Joan certainly understands (tolerates?) my obsession... to the point where she will surprise me with a bottle from time to time that she thinks I will find interesting. She'll also suggest distillery trips and tastings, etc.

But when it comes to drinking she'll only taste it once in a while. Definitely prefers wheaters. Also will, from time to time, have a bourbon and cranberry juice. But, on the whole, she's more of a Beefeaters martini traditionalist.

ratcheer
06-07-2008, 11:21
But, on the whole, she's more of a Beefeaters martini traditionalist.

There's a lot to be said for that.

Tim

gblick
06-07-2008, 14:38
Well, I've been at this for a little over a year now (was a tequila sipper before) and haven't been able to get my wife to try any bourbon. About the only alcohol she'll drink is wine during holidays or the occasional margarita at the Mexican restaurant.

jburlowski
06-07-2008, 17:20
But, on the whole, she's more of a Beefeaters martini traditionalist.

There's a lot to be said for that.

Tim

I agree... for that and a whole lot of other reasons that will go unsaid here.

marco246
06-07-2008, 21:18
Mrs. marco246, otherwise known as She Who Must Be Obeyed, does not partake of alcoholic beverages at all. So she has been a cheap date and the designated driver for over 25 years. Works for us.

Rughi
06-07-2008, 22:36
Maia is 100% Rye Oriented in her Manhattans. No bourbon will do.

I've written several times about how she is never fooled with even a rye-heavy bourbon like Grand Dad or Four Roses. It's also not just the lower corn content of a rye, as she likes wheaters and straight wheat least of all.

She likes her rye.

Roger

billthewoodguy
06-08-2008, 06:10
Lauren will nose bourbon, and finds it to have a pleasant aroma- who knew?
but she recently tasted a bourbon with sour mix and she liked that.

Bill

CorvallisCracker
06-08-2008, 11:40
Sounds like there are very few of us whose spouses drink bourbon.

Kathy is a New Orleans native, and I guess bourbon was part of the lifestyle when she was growing up. Both her parents drank it, and during the holidays her mother would make a bread pudding that had bourbon in both the pudding and in the glaze.

I should say we are both very eclectic drinkers. In addition to bourbon and other whiskies, we both drink gin, rum, tequla and other spirits. We drink wine on a near-daily basis, and beer on occasions.

Our tastes are not identical, nor are our means of imbibing a particular spirit. As I mentioned in the thread-starter, she drinks her whiskey on-the-rocks. I usually have it straight. She also doesn't mind peat the way I do, so she likes a wider variety of Scotch. With gin, I usually have it in a martini while she has it in a gin-and-tonic.

bigtoys
06-08-2008, 11:54
Beer, wine (especially sparkling/Champagne), occasional margarita, bloody mary or Mai Tai for mine. At least no fruitinis.

ratcheer
06-08-2008, 12:11
Lauren will nose bourbon, and finds it to have a pleasant aroma- who knew?
but she recently tasted a bourbon with sour mix and she liked that.

Bill

Then, you should make her a real whiskey sour with fresh lemon juice and sugar. She should really like that.

Tim

jburlowski
06-08-2008, 12:31
Then, you should make her a real whiskey sour with fresh lemon juice and sugar. She should really like that.

Tim

Ahhhh... whiskeys sours: one of my favorite summer drinks. And you're right they should be made as you describe. (The slight variation I employ is to use bourbon that has been infused with fresh mint.)

d_nelly78
06-08-2008, 14:41
Not ussually but when her Captain runs out she will ask me to fix her a drink with my bourbon. She tasted the Eli Craig ( the good version not the one that tastes like ass) and loved it she drank up my whole bottle and when I went to replace it I got the more than usual off expression of EC. Obviously the EC was good if she liked it. Too bad every bootle of EC can't be up to par. She likes a good whiskey sour too but the carbs are way too high for her to drink regularly. I am sure she would love an authentic mint julep seeing how much she likes a good Mojito. But a mint julep seems so labor intensive. :skep:

shelly
06-08-2008, 14:48
My husband doesn't drink whiskey of any kind. Says he just doesn't like the taste. He's a German/Belgian beer fan, and likes a good merlot or cab. He did surprise me once by trying and likeing some German brandy.

-shelly

callmeox
06-08-2008, 18:08
My wife is more of a fruitini and margarita fan and was a 7 and 7 and CC and Coke drinker in college. She likes the nose of bourbon but not the taste. The windows were open the other night and we had a nice breeze blowing through the house from back to front. I had a nice pour of Pappy 20 sitting by me and she walked in to the room to tell me that she could smell it in the front room. I offered her a sip and she declined.

Tonight, I'm going to try my hand at making an Old Fashioned so we'll see if she likes a rye based cocktail. I figure that the citrus in there should make it more up her alley.

JamesW
06-09-2008, 07:16
Welcome to the board Shelly!

CorvallisCracker
06-09-2008, 09:44
My husband doesn't drink whiskey of any kind. Says he just doesn't like the taste. He's a German/Belgian beer fan, and likes a good merlot or cab. He did surprise me once by trying and likeing some German brandy.

-shelly

Welcome Shelly. Thanks for the post.

(this is what I was hoping for when I used spouse rather than wife when starting this thread)

billthewoodguy
06-09-2008, 12:12
Tim,

tell me more about that sour recipe, how much lemon and sugar to bourbon, and does one bourbon lend itself better for this?

Bill

bromike666
06-09-2008, 15:42
My GF makes a sour, painful expression when I uncork a PVW20 and she gets even a whiff of it. Funnier thing is our Mau makes the same face when he sniffs my glass.

ratcheer
06-09-2008, 16:31
Tim,

tell me more about that sour recipe, how much lemon and sugar to bourbon, and does one bourbon lend itself better for this?

Bill

Well, Bill, this has been a standard cocktail recipe for decades. It seems like it is 1.5 oz whiskey, the juice of 1/2 lemon, and a teaspoon of sugar. After mixing (with ice, like a martini), it can be served either straight up or on the rocks.

I would think the standard recipes probably call for blended whiskey, such as Seagram's 7. Straight rye whiskey would probably be better. I'm not sure the strong flavors of good bourbon would work very well, but I could be wrong.

Let's see how many other recipes are posted. :skep:

Tim

ACDetroit
06-09-2008, 16:35
1/2 a Lemon = 2 TBS of juice. :rolleyes:

billthewoodguy
06-10-2008, 05:14
I will try it out, I like the idea of getting her a bottle of her own for the mixing.

thanks, Bill

J.W.
06-10-2008, 10:18
No, Tam is a tea-totaler.

shelly
06-10-2008, 15:15
For what it's worth, my whiskey sour reicpe is as follows;

1 1/2 oz bourbon
1 oz fresh-squeezed lemon juice
3/4 oz simple syrup*

Shake with ice and strain into a coktail glass, stright up or over ice.

*I make my own simple syrup, using 2 parts water, 1 part sugar. I find the syrup makes it easier to get a smooth, fully mixed drink.

The result is a nice, tangy sour, with just the right amount of sweentess for my own taste.

Gillman
06-10-2008, 18:02
Nice recipe. The Sour impresses by its simplicity and quality - if well made. It can be made, too, with almost any spirit (except a peaty scotch, maybe).

Gary

billthewoodguy
06-11-2008, 05:37
I sure like the idea of these recipes over that pre-made stuff in the bottle, I may even have to try one for myself :grin:

Thanks,
Bill

dcb
06-13-2008, 07:45
wife mostly drink's gin, but I have to give her credit for knowing her gins, she's currently got 7 or 8 different bottles open. I only have 6 bourbons open at the moment.

jwevan01
06-13-2008, 09:01
My wife prefers scotch to bourbon. She says the taste of bourbon is too "sweet" for her liking. She will drink bourbon if scotch isn't available and she liked the pitcher of whiskey sours that our elderly neighbor used to bring over on halloween.

I asked our neighbor for the recipe and she graciously shared it.

1 can concentrated lemonade (dump into pitcher)
1 can bourbon (use the lemonade container)
1 can beer

Stir, chill, and serve. On the rocks if you like.

I don't care for beer, but it actually turned out to be a very tasty recipe.

I see a lot of posters who have a spouse that enjoy a margarita. I have an excellent top shelf margarita recipe if anyone is interested, but this might not be the appropriate thread.

Joel

JasonFalls
06-13-2008, 09:46
I wish. My wife drinks bloody maries and wine. She's a cheap date, though, which is nice. Heh.

Stu
06-13-2008, 10:20
I'm not a cocktail man, but I recently had a Whiskey Sour that I loved - sounds weird, but it worked for me. It was made by a French bartender in Scotland.

1.5 oz whiskey with one sugar cube crushed into the whiskey
juice of 1/2 lemon
one egg white (no yolk, and no joke)

Put in a chilled metal shaker and add two ice cubes and shake the s--- out of it. When you feel the egg white has whipped, pour through a strainer.

Caveat - I'm an egg nog lover.

drunkenjayhawk
06-13-2008, 10:22
My wife doesnt care for bourbon - at least not straight. Maybe in a mixed drink. But more likely to drink fuzzy navel, screwdrivers, etc

CorvallisCracker
06-13-2008, 10:32
I'm not a cocktail man, but I recently had a Whiskey Sour that I loved - sounds weird, but it worked for me. It was made by a French bartender in Scotland.

juice of 1/2 lemon

Put in a chilled metal shaker and add two ice cubes and shake the s--- out of it. When you feel the egg white has whipped, pour through a strainer.

Interesting. Sounds similar to a "Pisco Sour". Substitute Pisco for the bourbon, lime juice for the lemon.

Something I was introduced to while in Peru (1988).

Gillman
06-13-2008, 11:26
I'd say that's a standard recipe for a Whiskey Sour, the egg white is optional in such (and many other) cocktails. It will give some texture and a little taste perhaps.

A Sour really is one of the great cocktails.

Gary

ratcheer
06-13-2008, 14:56

juice of 1/2 lemon

A little egg white in a whiskey sour was part of many recipes I read a few decades ago. It gives the drink a creamy, frothy top, a little like the head on a poured beer. But, I never heard of using a whole egg white.

Tim

ratcheer
06-13-2008, 14:59
A Sour really is one of the great cocktails.

There used to be almost a standard "saying" for any cocktail: "One part sweet, one part sour, two parts strong." A Sour fits that prescription to a T.

Tim

HipFlask
06-13-2008, 15:21
Yes, But mixed and on the rocks. It helps when I feel the need to add a bottle to the bunker. And I have to admit I cry on the inside when she takes Pappy15 or GTS (she really likes both and passes over KC and WT101)and mixes. She doen't know that what they cost or the limited amount and I'm not sure that I want to share that info so....It must be called love.

Jane
06-14-2008, 14:40
All the bartenders I know use egg whites. It's weird but it does make the drink taste better, if you like whisky sours.

I have no husband but I am slowly trying to get my boyfriend into bourbon (when I see him). He likes it but only for a drink of choice in a bar. He doesn't really get into bourbon tastings with me. But to be fair to him, he never seems openly annoyed when I throw useless bourbon knowlege at him or tell him the entire history of every bourbon I drink. He's a pretty patient guy.

jburlowski
06-14-2008, 20:06
All the bartenders I know use egg whites. It's weird but it does make the drink taste better, if you like whisky sours.

I have no husband but I am slowly trying to get my boyfriend into bourbon (when I see him). He likes it but only for a drink of choice in a bar. He doesn't really get into bourbon tastings with me. But to be fair to him, he never seems openly annoyed when I throw useless bourbon knowlege at him or tell him the entire history of every bourbon I drink. He's a pretty patient guy.

Sounds like one to be cherished...

Jane
06-15-2008, 11:41
Sounds like one to be cherished...

I believe I can sense some sarcasm there.

jburlowski
06-15-2008, 12:43
No sarcasm intended at all. I believe one of the best qualities in a life partner is being able to value (or maybe perhaps only silently tolerate) the other person's interests and passions with complaining or making value judgements.

Jane
06-15-2008, 12:54
OH. My fault. I was trying to be funny anyway. Hard to convey a personality on a computer.

Thanks for the kind words John B.

Gillman
06-15-2008, 14:59
Tim, in Frederic Martin's classic (IMO) late 1960's Encyclopedia of Drinks and Drinking, in connection with rum compounds he renders the formula as follows:

"One of sour; two of sweet; three of strong; four of weak". The weak is water, juice, ice.

Interesting how different versions of an old saw emerge here and there. It's like the thing about "beer before wine, always fine". "Wine before beer, never fear". Or, "flammable" and "inflammable". :)

Gary

doubleblank
06-18-2008, 11:27
My wife Val will usually end the evening with a small pour if I am having one too. She usually asks me to fix her whatever I'm having......except for last night. I was drinking an El Dorado 12yo rum so she got up and fixed her own drink. I looked up and saw her dropping the empty Pappy 20 "Green Glass Lawrenceburg" into the trash can. She looked at me and said....."Is something wrong?" I bit my lip and said no......because I am not a big fan of the original Pappy 20 but was saving the last pour for a future guest at the house who hadn't tried it before. She enjoyed it. She also enjoys Van Blankle, so I don't keep one open and in plain sight anymore.

Randy

Gillman
06-18-2008, 12:51
Had to smile at that one. Val's developing some good taste, Randy. BTW what did you think of the Dorado 12?

Gary

doubleblank
06-18-2008, 14:50
I find the Dorado 12yo to be one of my favorite rums, particularly at the price. The 15yo is good too, but costs about $15 a bottle more than the 12yo. I find both to be better balanced than the Zapaca 23yo (sp?). I don't drink a lot of rum neat, but usually keep an El Dorado in the house. BTW, they have been hard to find in Houston lately.

Randy

Gillman
06-18-2008, 14:57
You'll have to try my blend of El Dorado 12, El Dorado 15 and a touch of Angostura ... (can't recall the name, it is their 12 years plus version in the large-neck bottle with red-topped stopper).

My goal was to keep all the ages at 12 or above and dry the flavor just a bit since the 12 can be a little sweet at times (very good after dinner though). The 12 and 15 are similar but the 15 is a little drier and older-tasting. The Angostura is the aged pot still flavor (I get rubber!) discussed earlier that is contained also in the Dorado 12 and 15, so it's just adding a bit more of what is already there.

It is a very good blend I think, better than the constituents on their own.

CorvallisCracker
06-18-2008, 17:02
You'll have to try my blend of El Dorado 12, El Dorado 15 and a touch of Angostura ... (can't recall the name, it is their 12 years plus version in the large-neck bottle with red-topped stopper).

That would be the 1824.

My goal was to keep all the ages at 12 or above and dry the flavor just a bit since the 12 can be a little sweet at times (very good after dinner though). The 12 and 15 are similar but the 15 is a little drier and older-tasting. The Angostura is the aged pot still flavor (I get rubber!) discussed earlier that is contained also in the Dorado 12 and 15, so it's just adding a bit more of what is already there.

It is a very good blend I think, better than the constituents on their own.

Hmmm...I can get the two El Dorados but the only Angostura I can get is the 1919, which is 8yo.

What are the proportions you use?

Gillman
06-18-2008, 18:54
1824, yes, thanks, it is 12 years old. I would not use the 1919 for this much as I like it, it is too "golden" in style. You need a dark reddish style such as 1824, Dorado 12 and Dorado 15 are (and not just any dark rum but ones with that characteristic orange peel/rubber-like taste these oldies from Guyana and Trinidad have, it seems a regional taste almost since I haven't encountered it elsewhere as yet).

You don't need the 1824 though. Just use the other two. I use 3:1 or 4:1 12 to the 15. It dries the 12 down just that little bit you need and deepens and lengthens the flavor.

Gary