PDA

View Full Version : What are you drinking tonight, Summer '08

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Virus_Of_Life
06-14-2008, 00:29
We were starting to get a little long there in the other thread so it's time to start a new one.... Maybe not officially summer but close enough!

I'll kick it off with a bottle that could also be found very soon in the empty bottle support group thread and also the what did you purchase thread; Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit pewter top first issue - bottled August of 1996 to be exact. One more pour out of this wonderful bottle and it's gone, luckily I recently found a dusty replacement; although one of these is never enough so I'll be looking for more!

spun_cookie
06-14-2008, 00:46
THen... for a new thread.. PVW 23 and EW Antabellum

gothbat
06-14-2008, 02:25
The grape soda of bourbon! :P

Chupacabras
06-14-2008, 04:00
PVW20 and FRY (is that the right acronym for Four Roses Yellow Label? I'm too deep in my cups to worry about it).

I may pop out and pony up the funds for a bottle of 16yo Hirsch tomorrow, though the price is daunting. The dude that bunkered the case or so of it has a bunch of other interesting drams, maybe I'll stop in and clear his baby bourbon stock, just to confuse him.

cigarnv
06-14-2008, 04:40
Following Mr. Gillman's lead I enjoyed a few Sazerac's..... quite refreshing on a warm evening and the sweetness goes very well with a cigar. Could be a new favorite.....

HighTower
06-14-2008, 06:51
Last night I had some Russell's Reserve 90 followed by some RR 101.
Both enjoyable.
Tonight it was WT 8yo 101, Fighting Cock, Saz Jr and 1792.

Scott

Gillman
06-14-2008, 07:25
Good to hear the Saz's are going down well. By the way sugar is optional in these, some people like them dry (so just the whiskey, bitters and anise element). Some bourbon or rye tends to sweetness as do some of the typical anise drinks, so as always, adjust to personal taste.

Tim's notes about the Very Old Fitzgerald had the wry touch I associate with his writing, Tim is the wryest of the SB scribes, maybe. :) But that is darn good whiskey, as all who know privileged to have tried it. (Qualification: knock on Tim's door at Gazebo-time).

Last night I poured a shot of ND OT, the vatting I've mentioned earlier. The current (which will likely be the last) vatting has a bit of a woody edge, I think this resulted from the last addition, a 86 proofer, but anyway in for a penny in for a pound. In vatting you go all the way or not, and there is no returning, but you can keep going!

I added bitters and half a teaspoon brown sugar, then rocks, then a glug of Weller 107. The Weller cured the excess wood in the ND OT vat (not sure why since it is woody itself, but this is the alchemy of mixology and vatting...).

A nice drink emerged from this rattling around.

Gary

callmeox
06-14-2008, 08:16
Last night was JBB on the rocks at a very interesting party. The JBB was perfect on a stormy, humid evening but it was painful to me knowing that I had a brand new bottle of WTAS sitting at home. I'll crack that open in due time.

Jane
06-14-2008, 15:06
I wanted to share that I got to taste a couple of pre-prohibition whiskies a few nights ago.

Old Oscar Pepper 1916 and a Rye Whisky made for the Pendennis Club 1905.

The OOP had lost most of its taste but the Rye was really good.

I was trying to attach a couple of pictures of the bottles but not sure I succeeded.

Jane
06-14-2008, 15:08
Here's the other. I never know if people like to see stuff like this but I'm assuming as bourbon fans you do.

Cheers!
Jane

Gillman
06-14-2008, 15:16
Thanks for this, what was the rye like?

Gary

J.H.Cutter
06-14-2008, 15:28
Just got back from the Burbon Trail and will settle down with a Rare eagle neat:cool:

Jane
06-14-2008, 15:30
I'm not great at describing tastes. It wasn't as spicy as rye we know today. It wasn't moldy tasting either. It was creamier than sharp. Not dry. I assume it had lost some proof with age. It almost had a fig like taste but not really fruity. (does that make any sense?) The finish was medium. I always notice where I taste things on my tongue. This sat exactly on the center of my tongue. It was woody but not too much. Almost sappy tasting. Sorry I don't think I did a very good job explaining.

One thing I can tell you. It was the most unique thing I have ever tasted. I wish I had taken notes seeing as how I have already forgotten the taste profiles.

Gillman
06-14-2008, 15:53
That is very help Jane, thank you.

The Compton Street wine and spirits vendors are still going strong, I hope.

Gary

Jane
06-14-2008, 15:57
Yes. I love window shopping there. I tend to not buy alcohol here because my money goes twice as far at home. I am actually back in Kentucky next week and already have my bourbon list made.

Gillman
06-14-2008, 16:05
Understand, of course. Still, there are rarities one can find there. E.g., on the rafters I've seen e.g., in Vintage House some well aged (25 I think) Vintage Bourbon from KBD which was excellent. There is the odd other export-only bottling as well. But of course, it will be hard to best the Kentucky retailers.

Gary

P.S. I meant Old Compton Street, Soho, but I see you knew that!

Jane
06-14-2008, 16:09
I'll have to actually go in next time I'm in Soho (which is where I tend to work the most). Thanks for the tip.

Do you spend much time in London?

Gillman
06-14-2008, 16:35
Well, I did travel there for many years (say from the 80's until about 2 years ago). We often went twice a year. I love the city, it is an amazing place, always changing, yet the same too in most (essential) ways.

In Soho there is also Milroy's, Greek Street, whose owner inspired Michael Jackson to write his first whisky book. It is different than the original Milroy's but still very interesting, and I like the plaid-lined whiskey bar in the basement.

Of all the quarters in the Capital, I like Soho the best. But I also like Mayfair, Belgravia, Chelsea, the East End, Harley Street, well it goes on (Marlybone area!).

I may get there in August for the big annual CAMRA beer festival, I've always wanted to attend that.

The last time I was there it was Xmas, it was partly for business. I walked around South Ken and ended up finally at Royal Albert Hall. The Bolshoi were doing a miscellany, something for the Season. I had never seen a ballet in my life (on earlier trips I had seen lots of rock and roll, more my style). I bought a good ticket and came back later to see the ballet and I really liked it. I liked the costumes, and the high jumps, mostly.

London is a great place and full of variety. If I go in August, I'll try to see a play in the Globe too, also, there is a show at New Tate that is a must, it doesn't end...

Gary

bigtoys
06-14-2008, 17:24
.... I never know if people like to see stuff like this but I'm assuming as bourbon fans you do.

Cheers!
Jane

I like the pictures, especially if something rare/different or new. Welcome to SB, Jane.

spun_cookie
06-14-2008, 17:37
I'll have to actually go in next time I'm in Soho (which is where I tend to work the most). Thanks for the tip.

Do you spend much time in London?

Damn, I was just in London 2-weeks ago. If I would have known I would have had you join us for drinks.... next time...

OldJack
06-14-2008, 18:38
Earlier today, I had a pour of WT101 Rye diluted down to around 60 proof to follow a tasting procedure I came across for Scotch (I thought that what works for "whisky" might work for "whiskey.") It was a very different experience than drinking it straight or on the rocks. Honestly, it was on the verge of whiskey-flavored water; though it was still enjoyable. Next time, I'll aim for the 80-90 proof range.

Later on, I plan to have a nip of my current vatting as a nightcap.

JamesW
06-14-2008, 19:06
Weller SR whiskey sour. It's the only drink I'll mix my bourbon in.

jburlowski
06-14-2008, 19:48
Wanted to continue my exploration of FR 120, but my guest wanted to go with PHC. Being the ever gracious and accomodating host, I humbly concurred.

Such are the sacrifices we make....

razerburnt
06-14-2008, 19:52
Saz Jr. then ER101. will have a generous pour of PVW20 before bed.

smokinjoe
06-14-2008, 19:59
Just returned from an evening swim at the neighborhood pool with momma and daughter. A healthy pour of McScrooge's single barrel bottling of Buffalo Trace (Brent's Pick), is hitting the spot.

JOE

spun_cookie
06-14-2008, 20:56
Old Fitz BIB mid 80s ... extra charters to exceed 24

Jono
06-14-2008, 21:09
Due to the recent thread on Knob Creek...poured some...neat - quick impressions:

nice nose
sharp taste right off the bat..but pleasant...a little astringent
(Wiki "Astringency is also the dry, puckering mouthfeel ..")
smoother finish than I remember

Not a bad pour at all....

one ice cube.....brings out a little sweetness

I think "sweet leather" is a good descriptor for Knob Creek

JamesW
06-14-2008, 21:21
Weller Centennial (Julio's) and now some PVW 15. Man the Centennial is awesome but the PVW 15 just blew it away. My favorite bourbon. I even have it edging the PVW20 most of the time.

Jono
06-14-2008, 21:54
Weller Centennial (Julio's) and now some PVW 15. Man the Centennial is awesome but the PVW 15 just blew it away. My favorite bourbon. I even have it edging the PVW20 most of the time.

Definitely one to add to my stash....PVW 15 has a huge following on this board.

bigtoys
06-14-2008, 21:56
Dinner at Wildfire in Lincolnshire. Knob Creek with the chopped salad. Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc (not overly grapefruity/citrusy compared to some Sauvignon Blancs--almost said SB, but that would be confusing) with dinner (pepprcorn crusted filet; I know a color violation, but that's what the table wanted and I didn't want to go against the grain and get a glass of red).

Home now, having my second WT American Spirit; getting some spicy, charcoal notes.

Watching Bobby Flay on Iron Chef America Battle Corn; he made a bourbon (made from corn, he points out) sauce for a waffle dessert. It got my attention away from this response for a minute.

callmeox
06-14-2008, 22:15
I'm introducing myself to the world of whiskey sours this evening after reading about them in another thread here. My first crack at making one consisted of 1/2 ounce FS lemon juice, 1/2 ounce (1:1) simple syrup and 1.5 oz of Weller Antique which I shook the $*&% out of and then poured over ice. Between a this and an Old Fashioned, I think I found my summer drinks.

spun_cookie
06-14-2008, 22:46
MMMMM... Samples of ER and Saz... yummy.... The ER is just devine.... Thank you BM for shipping the samples :P

Luna56
06-14-2008, 23:10
Having a nitecap of EC18. Nice and cool here, a little rain falling. Perfect pour to end the day.

Cheers!

Barkley
06-15-2008, 00:47
Nitecap of 1792, haven't had any for awhile. Very nice pour.

Rake
06-15-2008, 01:12
Old Grand Dad BIB, of course. I'll raise this one up to all the fathers out there.

JamesW
06-15-2008, 18:27
Another Weller SR whiskey sour. I kind of enjoy starting my night off with a cheaper pour like this ($13 per btl.). Then I don't feel so bad hitting the expensive stuff later...kinda evens out http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif (sure it does!)

PhilsFan
06-15-2008, 18:45
Tonight a switch back from the 120th to another Four Roses favorite of mine, FRSB.

-Joe

ggilbertva
06-15-2008, 19:28
Tonight a switch back from the 120th to another Four Roses favorite of mine, FRSB.

-Joe

Joe, Mark and will be seeing you at Reid's on the 5th.....looking forward to meeting you.

ggilbertva
06-15-2008, 19:29
Spent the day with my Dad and respective family. We of course indulged in various libations.

Weller Centennial - Julio's 13 year
'79 JW Dant BIB
'82 Fitz Prime 90
'80 OGD 114

JamesW
06-15-2008, 20:00
On my second pour of PVW15 - fantastic as usual. I need to get a barrel of this for my home http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

snakster
06-16-2008, 12:09
ETL last night. It seems to get better the more I drink it. Near the end of it now.

shelly
06-16-2008, 14:07
I've been enjoying a bottle of Sazerac rye. Manhattans are among my favorite cocktails, and Sazerac makes a great one. I had thought of buying a bottle for awhile now, but when I saw Sazerac listed in an SB recommndatin thread, I took the plunge.

JamesW
06-16-2008, 18:03
It's been a while since I finished off my last bottle of ORVW 10/107 and I hadn't brought my bunkered bottle up to the bar until today. Just opened the bottle and took my first pour --- Man is this one good bourbon!

chilidawg7
06-16-2008, 19:16
Tonight it's a pour of PVW 20, followed by OGD 114 and Coke Zero.

spun_cookie
06-16-2008, 21:06
EC18yr... and yet to be determined

blux
06-16-2008, 21:12
A single pour of Four Roses Single Barrel. That is so good.

StraightBoston
06-16-2008, 21:22
As I just reported to Gary in the VBT thread -- wheater flight:

1) Old Weller Antique (BT version)
2) Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot "B" (2004 bottling; S-W whiskey)
3) Makers Mark Select (black wax)
4) Old Weller Antique (UDV/S-W version in gold-veined bottle)

Tonight, they rank 4-2-1-3 (and 1 is surprisingly close to 2!)

ILLfarmboy
06-16-2008, 21:42
Something off the beaten path; Stranahan's.

StraightBoston
06-16-2008, 21:50
As I just reported to Gary in the VBT thread -- wheater flight:

1) Old Weller Antique (BT version)
2) Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot "B" (2004 bottling; S-W whiskey)
3) Makers Mark Select (black wax)
4) Old Weller Antique (UDV/S-W version in gold-veined bottle)

Tonight, they rank 4-2-1-3 (and 1 is surprisingly close to 2!)

Deeper into the cabinet -- added:

5) Rebel Yell (1982 90 proof S-W; same bottle as (4) without the gold filigree)

Tasty but harsh. Now: 4-2-1-5-3.

dukeofsandwich
06-16-2008, 22:02
Tonight I drank the last of my Black Maple Hill 14 Year. Weep. If you've got a line on any bottles let me know.

Chupacabras
06-17-2008, 08:29
Tonight I drank the last of my Black Maple Hill 14 Year. Weep. If you've got a line on any bottles let me know.There's a shop by me that has every flavor of BMH that was made (if not all of them, then pretty close... think there were seven different bottles on the shelf). Of course, that's only a 3000 mile trip for you.

wildcatdon
06-17-2008, 09:46
Blux,Four Roses SB is great neat...It is just a great bourbon..I love it as an after dinner drink neat..very,very smooth..

CorvallisCracker
06-17-2008, 10:02
Tonight I drank the last of my Black Maple Hill 14 Year. Weep. If you've got a line on any bottles let me know.

Santiam Liquors in Albany OR has 7-12 bottles each of the 11, 14 and 16yo. Prices are $61, $75 and $95 respectively (more than I'm willing to pay).

From where you are it's 2,000 miles closer than New Jersey.

PhilsFan
06-17-2008, 10:08
Joe, Mark and will be seeing you at Reid's on the 5th.....looking forward to meeting you.

Greg & Mark, I know you guys together with Reid will have some great stories to tell...I look forward to it as well!

-Joe

OscarV
06-17-2008, 13:30
WLWeller 12yo, the Binny's bottle.

fishnbowljoe
06-17-2008, 16:37
Old Forester Signature. Joe

SBOmarc
06-17-2008, 18:00
I lost a very fine friend to the horrors of cancer. He faught for nearly 3 years. He was an example of how to live a life of faith knowing the odds and enduring the pain. He lived through numerous surgeries, radiation and chemo.

He enjoyed his Family, Skiing, Golf and his Guitar. Sam Adams was his fav.

In his honor I am drinking Sam Adams, amidst both tears and laughter.

OldJack
06-17-2008, 18:20
SBO- sorry to hear about your friend.

Tonight, it is my first pour of OGD-BIB. I really like it. The nose is leathery- like a worn, old Bible. (That just happens to be one of my favorite smells in the world.) I also get hints of wood and citrus oil- like church pews just after spring cleaning. (I'm sensing a theme here.)

The flavor is smooth, but I can't put my fingure on the lead taste. Toasted coconut, maybe? There is also a serious spiciness which coats the roof of my mouth.

The finish is fruity with just a slight linguring burn of alcohol.

This is great stuff- especially for the price. I wish I had bought more than a 200ml flask. When I drink through my secret stash, I'll have to remedy that.

spun_cookie
06-17-2008, 18:33
I lost a very fine friend to the horrors of cancer. He faught for nearly 3 years. He was an example of how to live a life of faith knowing the odds and enduring the pain. He lived through numerous surgeries, radiation and chemo.

Atoast to the good times with your friend... Sam Adams it is...

mozilla
06-17-2008, 19:06

I am very sorry for your loss.

I'll raise a toast to you and your good friend.
Buddies! Nothing beats 'em.

JamesW
06-17-2008, 19:23
Sorry for your loss my friend.

Tonight I started with PVW15 and now having some ORVW 10/107. 2 terrific pours!

PhilsFan
06-17-2008, 19:47

SBOmarc, I am saddened to hear of the loss of your friend to cancer. My Dad fought cancer for about 2 years before he passed away almost 5 years ago. People who fight that disease IMO are as brave as they come. And people like you who help them through the fight are as good a friend as it gets.

I don't have Sam Adams, but I will toast your friend with EC 18, and know that my prayers are with your friend's family and you.

-Joe

Gillman
06-17-2008, 19:47
Diet Coke. This is a "white day", as the Scandinavians call it.

Gary

bigtoys
06-17-2008, 20:24

Sorry to hear about your friend. My condolences.

callmeox
06-17-2008, 20:38
An icy cold OGD114 whiskey sour

spun_cookie
06-17-2008, 22:23
Here's the other. I never know if people like to see stuff like this but I'm assuming as bourbon fans you do.

Cheers!
Jane

Nice finds Jane... would have loved to try those...

Tonight one Sam Adams and then the end of my 07 Stagg

ggilbertva
06-17-2008, 23:20
In celebration of my 1000 post.....2006 ER 17. Still very tasty.

Virus_Of_Life
06-17-2008, 23:23

Cheers!
Jane

Jane, just to confirm, YES we always love to see and hear about stuff like that (there)! Wow, can't write that line without thinking of this truly amazingly incredible performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAW9TPIV1bA I love old school big band songs performed well and Kelly did it in that one.

For me tonight, congratulations to KG, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce I had a little Pure Kentucky and going to follow that with some Four Roses 40th; way to go Celtics! :toast:

spun_cookie
06-17-2008, 23:50
In celebration of my 1000 post.....2006 ER 17. Still very tasty.

Congrats on the 1K club post... look forward to the next 1K.... and all those dusties you will uncover

OscarV
06-18-2008, 14:07
I started with a WLWeller 12yo neat, it was just OK.
I wanted to experiment so I poured some Four Roses Single Barrel over some cracked ice. It to was just OK.
So I tried the old stand-by, when all else fails go for the Turkey.
With fresh glass and ice I poured Wild Turkey 101 over it.
Yeah,...now that's what I'm talking about.:grin:

spun_cookie
06-19-2008, 00:18
Did some tasting.. wonderful yellowstone 90, ERza SB, Old Fitz ~81... now just tappin' that glass on teh Rock Hill Farms

fishnbowljoe
06-19-2008, 00:31
ETL. So long Elmer, we hardly knew ya'. Re: Empty Bottles Support Group New & Improved Joe

mgilbertva
06-19-2008, 00:33
OGD 114 - current iteration. I like the older, pre-Beam version better, but this is good stuff (I don't care what spun_cookie says).

spun_cookie
06-19-2008, 00:46
OGD 114 - current iteration. I like the older, pre-Beam version better, but this is good stuff (I don't care what spun_cookie says).

hey now... most people don't... but you do not have to publicize it :D

ACDetroit
06-19-2008, 05:51
Hey Mark, I agree with you 100%...On the OGD 114 that is! We did a side by side at OscarV one night and we could pick the ND Juice over the Beam all day. I agree with what the Dr. said OGD is one of the best things Beam puts out right now and they really do a great job with the 114.

Now as to giving a care on what Spun_Cookie has to say you opened that can of worms so bonne petite :grin:.

Tony

fishnbowljoe
06-19-2008, 16:44
ERSB 10/90. Haven't had any in a while, and since I have 5 bunkered.....what the heck. Joe

spun_cookie
06-19-2008, 17:33
had a touch of the EW 23yr... there is a lot there. Too much wood, but some fun othr flavors like Candy Apple, cherries, etc...

... and to continue the OGD saga, there seems to be some matelic taste in ther I just can't get past. The old label (tax stamp) did not have that taste - or is was very light and represed behind the better tastes...

I have that other bottle that is old lable, post tax stamp (has the fake one) ... I wonder how it compairs... I should ask Devin what he thinks of the OGD I sent him...

MikeK
06-19-2008, 19:52
Ancient Ancient Age 10yo. I had forgotten how good this is. Not the finest thing on my bar, but pretty frickin good for the price point.

Damn!

chilidawg7
06-19-2008, 21:54
Some PVW 20, followed closely by a little bit of GTS 07.

Twas a good night. :)

PhilsFan
06-20-2008, 16:38
I started out at work...one of my bourbon lovin' friends is now into brewing his own beer. He brought in his first brew, American Amber Ale,
3 weeks in the fermenter, 2 weeks in the bottle. He even made up his own label "Ole Clyde Brewing" with a picture of his golden retriever.
It was very good beer. He's in the process of making a Belgian Wit, which will be ready June 29th.

Tonight, it's back to bourbon, and since I now have a backup bottle, it's ORVW 10/107.

-Joe

OldJack
06-20-2008, 16:47
Since I just realized over lunch how much a heavy couple of shakes of bitters can enliven generic diet ginger ale, tonight I will be putting that knowledge to use with some WT Rye and ginger ale.

spun_cookie
06-20-2008, 17:18
Tonight I am just a rummy... 6 oz of Old Monk, 6 ox of Pyrate XO with coke each... too damn good

Special Reserve
06-20-2008, 18:02
Now that it is summer, Weller 12 yr. I certainly wish that this high value drink was available in MI.

bottmfishr
06-20-2008, 20:23
Classic Seagram's 7 Manhattan, neat.

Luna56
06-20-2008, 21:44
Tonight I opened a fresh bottle of EC12. This bottle has a surprising amount of "cereal" richness, which passes too quickly into a somewhat bitter finish. I'll give this generous pour awhile to open up and see what happens.

EC12 is a somewhat unreliable pour, though it has always been good. Every bottle I've had has been quite different from the last. I still dig it, though, and it takes second place only to ERSB as the most purchased everyday pour bourbon here.

Cheers to all!

PS- Ten minutes in the glass has improved the finish immensely. Damn good hooch!

PPS- I gotta say, this has mellowed considerably. And I shouldn't fail to mention that the color of this bourbon is just as deep and rich as any I've seen. Good legs, clarity, all that good stuff. Big likee!

HighTower
06-21-2008, 05:37
WT12, Stagg and Weller 7/107. If only I could buy them here.:cry:

Scott

Gillman
06-21-2008, 19:54
We're tasting some wines tonight in Niagara-On-The Lake, wines made in this area. Some of the whites are excellent but the reds still aren't there IMO. We had small amounts of ice wine too after dinner, the Inniskillin Vidal Ice was stunning.

Earlier today I got down a pint of Niagara Falls Brewing Best Bitter, an ale that has been made in this region for some 15 years or more and is tops. I was looking for, and found, Taps Lager, another micro beer in the area. Nice product and the barman told me in a few weeks the brewery will release a special version which is aged in casks that had held the local red wine.

Niagara-On-The-Lake is not typical of Canadian towns. It looks much more like an American town because of the wooden building construction here. I can't recall all the details, something about the fact that it was destroyed in the 1812 war and rebuilt in an American style. This may have been due to the proximity of New York towns, or maybe there was an influx of Americans here after the war. Whatever the explanation, it is a charming part of the Province, and the nice weather shows it at its best.

Gary

texascarl
06-21-2008, 21:55
"Perfect" Rye Manhattan.

BigAl
06-22-2008, 00:18
Hi all, first post here as I just discovered the site recently. I look forward to learning more about Bourbon and other spirits and reading others' opinions and impressions.

Last night I made a few Manhattans with JB Rye and sweet vermouth, stirred, not shaken, and poured into chilled cocktail glasses. Then I had some Prichard's, with which I was not very impressed.

Tonight the wife and I went out for dinner at Bonefish Grill, and had a Sonoma-Cutrer (Russian River Valley) Chardonnay, which was excellent. I'm following that up with a little B&B (Brandy and Benedictine) which I dearly love as an after-dinner drink.

My favorite Bourbons (so far) are Blanton's, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, and 101 (for Bourbon and Coke). I like Maker's for Old Fashioneds. I tried Bulleit recently and was quite impressed. Buffalo Trace is good too, but after having Blanton's, I'm spoiled on most of the others.

jackthewog
06-22-2008, 02:50
Chimay Grand Reserve 2006 'Blue'. Good stuff that is worth every cent of its (ridiculous) price. Probably a WTRB after as it will have to contend with that giant of a beer.

callmeox
06-22-2008, 11:08
We hosted our annual Summer kick off party yesterday, so I had a couple of Weller 7/107 whiskey sours during my shifts in front of the grill.

In the evening, my friends were curious about my growing bourbon collection, so we had an ad-hoc tasting while standing around in the kitchen. We went with a wheater (Weller Centennial) a rye (WTKS) and at their request a high proofer (Stagg 2007). The transition from Centennial to the KS brought a "wow" as the spice of the rye grabbed them. They were all amazed at the flavor of the Stagg despite the high proof. It was an odd flight, but the comments were positive for all three.

CorvallisCracker
06-22-2008, 13:58
We hosted our annual Summer kick off party yesterday, so I had a couple of Weller 7/107 whiskey sours during my shifts in front of the grill.

Yes, we had one of those too. Our "Summer Solstice" party is one of our two "big" parties every year, the other being our Pirate Theme Halloween Party.

I started the ribs a little after noon, slow cooking, smoking 'em in apple and cherry wood and a bit of hickory. I knew it's be a long day, so until 2:30, when the first guests arrived, I was drinking water.

First drink of the day was Charbay white rum, on the rocks with a couple of slices of lime. Very refreshing.

About 3:30 I started BBQ'ing a chicken, using a Weber poultry cooker ("beer can chicken without the beer can"). Put hard apple cider in the reservoir.

Chow was served at 4:30. Slow cooked ribs, BBQ chicken, homemade potato salad, baked beans. Had a Full Sail Pale Ale to start. After that I decided to try one of the Heineken Lights that I'd bought for any guests wanting light beer. Tasted like what I'd expected - watered-down Heineken.

For the dessert course (choice of French vanilla ice cream, brownies, fresh boysenberries, fresh strawberries (our own), and dark chocolates) I had some '07 GTS with a little water (3:1).

After that had some Forty Creek Three Grain (neat) along with an Ashton cigar.

Final drink of the evening was some Germain-Robin "Shareholders Reserve" brandy. Great stuff. Great day.

PhilsFan
06-22-2008, 19:49
Yesterday, We went down to Bowling Green, Ky to meet my Daughter & the Kids for a late lunch. Afterwards, stopped into Chuck's Wine and Spiirts, and they had a great selection including Centennial (which I still haven't seen in a Louisville store).

I didn't buy anything, but the bottle on the shelf reminded me of the one here at home, so tonight I'm enjoying Centennial.

-Joe

TNbourbon
06-22-2008, 20:14
Going around the world tonight, sorta by accident. Someone else's taste note got me to sipping a bit of straight rye, then I happened a grasp on some Noah's Mill (rye-recipe bourbon), now having some '40/'50s Weller vatted with some of today's SR (wheater -- the vatting story is elsewhere); I also have open Tennessee, Canadian, Irish, Scotch, Japanese, and New Zealand, and I haven't had a straight-sippin' night for quite awhile. I think I may well just sample a smidge of all and then, of course, Gillmanize 'em!:grin:

ILLfarmboy
06-22-2008, 20:34
No spirits, Just wine tonight. A bottle of Kendall-Jackson, Syrah with grilled pork chops and wild rice.

JamesW
06-22-2008, 20:41
Pappy 15 and ORVW 10/107

gothbat
06-22-2008, 21:39
A bit of FC103 (which also contains a little WT101 Rye and Weller Antique 107) while I watch the end of Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn, thus completing my Sunday movie marathon. Back to work tomorrow. :/

fishnbowljoe
06-22-2008, 21:56
No spirits here tonight either. Had the son and his wife and our grand daughter over for a cookout. Played cards afterwords and sipped some Cask and Cream Chocolate Temptation. It's like a very chocolatey Bailey's. Nice change of pace. Joe

spun_cookie
06-22-2008, 23:25
Finally got to %&*@# Boston... I could have flown to the UK faster... No bourbon but the mini fridge has xome Heinekens. Not my favorite, but need somethin gto thin the blood after sitting in a plane for 6 hrs... after 3 hrs... :smiley_acbt: :smiley_acbt: :smiley_acbt: :smiley_acbt:

fitzharry
06-23-2008, 00:11
Today I had a couple of glasses of Old Weller Antique 107 proof--it's been a long while since I had some and was again pleasantly surprised by its smooth taste. This was the first serious bourbon I drank back in high school (thirty years ago now--ouch!) and I think it will again become an everyday pour.

nor02lei
06-23-2008, 14:02
Yellowstone 86 proof and JD silver select.

Leif

spun_cookie
06-23-2008, 16:16
Tonight I am going to a dinner that is being put on by Julio's Liquor here in Boston.

They are doing a tasting of the 9 BTeXs at a great stake shop. I have been looking forward to this for some time. I have not seen a lot of feedback on these, so this should be fun.

* French Oak
* Twice Barreled
* Fire Pot Barrel
* Chardonnay Aged After Six Years
* Chardonnay Aged After Ten Years
* Zinfandel Aged After Six Years
* Zinfandel Aged After Ten Years
* Cabernet Franc After Six Years
* Cabernet Franc After Eight Years

JamesW
06-23-2008, 21:21
Wish I was there Emerald. Tonight I made a Weller SR whiskey sour and then had some Weller Centennial 13yr.

callmeox
06-23-2008, 22:16
Old Forester Signature is the pour this evening after waiting out a 1 hour delay when picking up my mom at the airport.

I was told that it was a younger but higher proof version of Woodford Reserve and I think that it is a great value pour.

ggilbertva
06-23-2008, 22:32
Wathens SB, bottled 2/06

fishnbowljoe
06-23-2008, 22:53
BT. Haven't had that in a while. Still a good pour. Joe

OscarV
06-24-2008, 14:26
Just lit the grill and now having a WT101 on the rocks.

JamesW
06-24-2008, 19:29
ORVW 10/107 ... having one of those off nights unfortunately. I pretty much narrowed it down to the garlic throwing off the tastebuds... and yes I had tea to try and break the effect to no avail http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

PhilsFan
06-24-2008, 20:15
I find myself going to this one more and more...I like black coffee and it's kind of like the "black coffee" of bourbons, EC 18.

-Joe

spun_cookie
06-24-2008, 21:55
Had more than a little tonight.. a buddy came over and we killed (started and killed) a Julio's Weller Centennial... good stuff... 5 hours and 1 bottle....

luv2hunt
06-24-2008, 22:06
It's a cool summer night and Jon and I have had the pleasure of Timothy's (Barturtle's) company this evening. I made supper and so far we're all still alive! LOL!

We're sitting outside and so far have enjoyed: Fleishmans Rye, KBS BOYB Weller 12, Dougs Willet 4 yr old, Japenese WT Tribute from Leif, Blue Smoke, WT Freedom, Weller 12, OF BIB 1973-1979 from Leif, Four Roses 12Oth Barrel N, Four Roses 40th 15-1C, WT Ky Spirit Unfiltered by Bourbon Society, VOB BIB, Weller Single Barrel 107 by Charles....the sweet one...,my personal favorite! and ETL BOTY 2006, and the US version of WT Tribute. Whew! And we're all still standing!!

BTW....I've had three glasses of Charles Weller 107....I need more of this. Plus the boys emptied a bottle of wine at dinner. Thank goodness I'm off tomorrow!!

Dawn

JohnAnderson
06-24-2008, 22:09
I'm drinking OGD 114, on the rocks. It's very good.

fishnbowljoe
06-24-2008, 22:12
Russell's Reserve. Let my wife pick it out. Joe

callmeox
06-24-2008, 22:21
Wild Turkey Rare Breed neat. I let it breathe for a few moments to get rid of the nearly overwhelming alcohol vapor and it was very pleasant.

HighTower
06-25-2008, 17:39
Last night I had some WT12, and a 50/50 mix of WTAS and RR101. Then had some Gentleman Jack and then some AAA 10yo.....that stuff is awesome!

Scott

texascarl
06-25-2008, 18:23
Vodka gimlet from the freezer. I'm chillin'.

HighTower
06-25-2008, 18:23
Tomorrow, to celebrate the birth of our Daughter, I will be cracking a bottle of Maker's Mark 101 gold wax.
When I met Bill Samuels JR last month I got him to sign one of them and he told me they must be 20-30 years old. The color is much deeper than regular maker's, I know the proof is higher but I feel this has been aged longer than 6 years too.
I will also have a private stash of Single Barrel Pappy 23 at the hospital :grin:

Less than 24 hours to go until the c-section!

Scott

JamesW
06-25-2008, 19:33
Congrats Hightower!

Tonight I had a whiskey sour with Weller Sr and now some Weller Centennial (Julio's 13yr) neat.

ACDetroit
06-25-2008, 20:31
Hey Scott! Good luck tomorrow, I know it will be awesome! I will grab something great out of the bunker. PM brother and we'll have a toast! You and Brenda deserve it, congratulations my friend!!

Tony

shyster512
06-25-2008, 20:52
Opened a bottle of Weller Centennial. Its my first. I bought it a few months ago after I heard it was being discontinued. Truly enjoyed my first drink of it.

callmeox
06-25-2008, 20:54
Templeton Rye, neat

(pad, pad, pad)

spun_cookie
06-25-2008, 20:57
Weller, Sam Ads, and Fenway's finest.... Randy Johnson just does not lool like Randy Johnson anymore...

bigtoys
06-25-2008, 21:15
Opened up a 4R 120th I got today at Binny's Castle. Barrel 7-1 s, 57.8%. Strong stuff straight; tossed in a couple of cubes.

OscarV
06-26-2008, 12:14
Wild Turkey Rare Breed, neat.
I have to get past the alcohol fumes and taste, but underneath it is rich with what I call "dried" fruit sweetness.
My Dog over in the 313 (ACDetroit) vatts WTRB with WLWeller12yo and raves about it.
I can tell that it would be a good combo.
And damn, I emptied a WLWeller12yo just days ago.
I finished all my open wheaters from the winter and spring and now I have in my current rotation what I call my summertime ryes.
Bulleit
Four Roses Yellow Label
Four Roses Single Barrell
Wild Turkey 101
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
I need to pick up a Evan Williams Back Label and Single Barrel now to kick off the summer right.

threejean
06-26-2008, 12:50
J.W. Dant bib as soon as I get home from work, then maybe some Black Maple Hill (lovely stuff indeed!!).

mech82000
06-26-2008, 19:43
Rittenhouse Rye BIB neat. Favorite liquor store finally recieved a couple cases today, after being out of stock for 2 months. Price went up 7 bucks a bottle!
Still a great value. I enjoy the heat of a young whiskey like this on occasion.

razerburnt
06-26-2008, 19:51
Heaven Hill 6yo BIB. great stuff especially for 11.49 for a liter.

callmeox
06-26-2008, 20:31
Four Roses 120th from barrel 7-1t (the 116 proof barrel)

Wow :bigeyes:

It doesn't have the heat that something of this proof should have. Very complex. Sweet and spicy all over. Wow.

fishnbowljoe
06-26-2008, 22:44
Started with Weller Antique and ended with JB Black and Coke. joe

bigtoys
06-27-2008, 09:23
In the on-deck circle for tonight (or maybe this afternon given the 3:00 Cubs v. W. Sox game), with the plastic wrap already removed:

4R 120th from barrel T: bottle #2222 at 116 proof :hot:

This should be interesting!

gblick
06-27-2008, 11:49
Last night I had some WTRR101 (1997), then some WTKS (pewter top, 1996), then some Weller Antique (1998). All were very good!

JamesW
06-27-2008, 19:39
Opened a new bottle of Pappy 20. First taste - ahhhh... Life is still good.

PhilsFan
06-27-2008, 20:12
We went to a wedding tonight...had dinner, and now I'm having dessert...
FR 120th! :grin:

-Joe

spun_cookie
06-27-2008, 20:37
Old Fitz (S&W), EC18 and some RHFs... small portions for some verity..

JamesW
06-27-2008, 21:00
Also opened a new bottle of Pappy 15 tonight. I wish to reiterate my love of this whisk(e)y. I give the 15 the edge over the 20 and time and again rate it as the best damn whisk(e)y on the planet. I must add that the Pappy 15 I drink is from a selected barrel done by Julio's. While I've had other 15's before I started buying mine at Julio's I can not remember if they were any different.

bigtoys
06-27-2008, 21:08
4R 120th barrel T 116 proof. Pretty smooth for the proof. Soon, S vs T.

pepcycle
06-27-2008, 21:21
I just got my first real paycheck in 20 months.
Now, I wasn't planning on returning to work, but ^%$( happens.
I'm on the deck in Somers, NY; listening to the frogs and birds, creating clouds of blue smoke from a hand rolled cigar. Since the only belongings I brought from KY are underwear, my motorcycle and my whiskey, it's Hazmat Stagg. Tonight, the butterscotch entry and anise finish are just right.
Back in the Ratrace againn!! Hell Far. (That's fire to you Yankees)

Gillman
06-28-2008, 07:42
The other night I poured a good shot of Old Forester Signature over rocks and then a splash of water (I had a bottle of an Italian spring water nearby, one of those with an "Empire" waist, and used that).

The pleasures of sipping a well-made bourbon and water should not escape the cognoscenti.

While neat sipping will always come first for me, occasionally a long drink is better and that OF and water had full flavor and great whiskey enjoyment.

It was probably (with the ice) about 2:1 OF to the water.

Gary

PhilsFan
06-28-2008, 14:56
Back from Bardstown, I'm saving the Pappy 15, so it's Weller Antique 107 this afternoon followed by ETL.

-Joe

callmeox
06-28-2008, 19:44
ORVW 10/90 on vacation and it tastes great after 13 hours on the road. :cool:

JamesW
06-28-2008, 21:00
ORVW 10/107, PVW 15 and now some Lot B. I'd like to thank Julian Van Winkle for having such great taste.

SBOmarc
06-28-2008, 23:50
At a wedding this evening. Started out easily with Beer, they provided two kegs of Sam Adams. Quite a crowd, the kegs did their best and kicked right after dinner. Whiskey at the bar, Jack Daniels only. I must add that this wedding was at someone's home, and the party was on.

Did my best given a large plastic cup, and some ice.

At home now enjoying Stagg '06 at 107 proof.

voigtman
06-29-2008, 18:58
George T. Stagg 2005 uncut. Aaahhhhhhh! Cheers, Ed

fishnbowljoe
06-29-2008, 20:34
My very first taste of Lot B. Joe

JamesW
06-29-2008, 21:05
My very first taste of Lot B. Joe

I love that lot b Joe, Have you had the rest of the VW line?

Tonight it was ORVW 10/107, Weller Centennial (Julio's 13 yr) and then Pappy 15 all the way home.

Cheers!:toast:

spun_cookie
06-29-2008, 21:52
Joe, I was going to send lot B, you want something else?

Tonight is is WT101 on SWA

fishnbowljoe
06-29-2008, 21:52
Yes I have. So far ORVW 10/90 and Pappy 15. Today I purchased two bottles of Lot B and a bottle of ORVW 10/107, which I have yet to try. I'll have to do a side by side with the Lot B and Pappy 15. Not sure which I like better. So far the Pappy has the edge I think. Joe

Gillman
06-30-2008, 16:11
I had small tastes of other drinks tonight (arak, absinthe) but the drink of the evening is Knob Creek, poured on one cube. This particular sample seems more anise-oriented than I normally find in KC, and that actually works quite well in terms of what I had before. It's got elements of tangerine, light smoke, some wood, some medium sweetness. Very nice drink.

Gary

PhilsFan
06-30-2008, 16:14
Having some of the Weller 12 tonight... It's a newer bottle bought after they restocked last month, and tonight it's got kind of a bitter aftertaste to it... It could just be that my taste buds are off, but it's not anywhere near what I've come to expect from Weller because I really enjoy the Antique & the Centennial.

-Joe

SBOmarc
06-30-2008, 16:33
Sazerac Jr on one cube. May have a Manhattan made with it later on this evening.

Life is Good!

callmeox
06-30-2008, 19:18
After a WT101 whiskey sour with dinner, I'm putting a serious hurtin' on the bottle of ORVW 10/90 (over a few cubes of ice) after a very full day at the beach.

I love being on vacation.

CorvallisCracker
06-30-2008, 20:11
On this last day of June, finishing off my bottle of the BOTM, Bulleit, and wondering what the July BOTM will be.

JamesW
06-30-2008, 20:41
VSOF and ORVW 10/107

fill fill filler

HighTower
07-01-2008, 06:49
I cracked that Maker's Mark 101 gold label on Friday night, and I must say it was very enjoyable. I will get into more depth at another time, but the proof was an improvement but it also looks and tastes older than the ~6 years that they bottles Maker's at now.

Scott

Attila
07-01-2008, 09:20
EC 12yr and wondering what all the commotion is about. Definately no better than Makers Mark. Gimme PVWFR or Blantons over this anyday.

I saw a thread earlier that said that PVW Family Reserve 13 yo was very much like a bourbon, despite being a rye. Can anyone recommend to me a rye that is unlike a bourbon and unlike PVWFR?

Just a note, the next three bottles on my shopping list (bless you July bonus) are WTRB, WT12yo and WT Rye.

CorvallisCracker
07-01-2008, 10:33
Can anyone recommend to me a rye that is unlike a bourbon and unlike PVWFR?

The Wild Turkey rye and the regular Sazerac (that we call "Saz Jr", comes in what I call an "old timey" bottle) do not smell or taste like bourbon (at least not to me).

smokinjoe
07-01-2008, 13:38
I agree 100% with Scott in regards to the Baby Saz. It is wonderfully distinctive.

JOE

Attila
07-01-2008, 17:53
The Wild Turkey rye and the regular Sazerac .

Thank you for your recommendation.

SBOmarc
07-01-2008, 17:53
Pappy 23 all by itself, for now. Will also consider the Full Van Winkle flight this evening.

JamesW
07-01-2008, 18:52
Pappy 23 all by itself, for now. Will also consider the Full Van Winkle flight this evening.

I'm with you on that. Started with Very Special Old Fitz 12 yr. Great bourbon, even better once you let it breath a while. I used my frother on it for a few seconds and it really opened up nicely, sweet. Now I'm thoroughly enjoying my Pappy 15. Cheers!

fishnbowljoe
07-01-2008, 19:16
Started with JB Black and Coke, and I'm now working on some ORVW 10/90. Joe

callmeox
07-01-2008, 19:18
Working on the vacation bottle of ORVW 10/90 while reading a Bill Bryson book about Australia.

chilidawg7
07-01-2008, 19:52
In honor of the new addition to Scott's family (here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9876)) I am working on a healthy pour of PVW 20. I still need to get my hands on a bottle of the 15 y.o. as I have heard many great things about it.

CorvallisCracker
07-01-2008, 19:57
WT Rye with 7-up. Not bad. I need to get some ginger ale and try it with that.

TNbourbon
07-01-2008, 19:58
WT Rye with 7-up. Not bad. I need to get some ginger ale and try it with that.
Atta boy! You'll like it. If not, just send me both bottles.

JamesW
07-01-2008, 20:20
In honor of the new addition to Scott's family (here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9876)) I am working on a healthy pour of PVW 20. I still need to get my hands on a bottle of the 15 y.o. as I have heard many great things about it.

The 15 is my hands down favorite bourbon. Keep your eyes peeled this fall when they bottle it again!

callmeox
07-01-2008, 20:46
There's lots of Pappy 15 down here in Myrtle Beach. I'm resisting the urge to take a bottle home with me as I've already got some other stuff but I think the urge will win out.

I'm not adverse to grabbing one for someone if their home collection is lacking.

This ORVW 10/90 is too darn tasty. It is way to smooth.

fitzharry
07-01-2008, 21:53
I am enjoying just a plain old glass of Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon on the rocks...and enjoying every sip of it.

hjminard
07-01-2008, 22:36
My wife and I enjoyed some mint juleps this evening ... utilizing Maker's Mark. Delicious!

spun_cookie
07-01-2008, 23:29
Bakers... I think I am doen with Beam products all together..

ACDetroit
07-02-2008, 00:06
The first pour was the Julio's Weller 13 yr Centennial, then on to some OR VW 10/107 and to finish me off for the night a hefty pour of the Four Roses 120th.

Night all!

AC

cigarnv
07-02-2008, 05:37
Enjoyed a few pours of 1792 .... this is a bourbon that I am really liking after looking at the bottle on the shelf for several years.

birdman1099
07-02-2008, 06:31
The first pour was the Julio's Weller 13 yr Centennial, then on to some OR VW 10/107 and to finish me off for the night a hefty pour of the Four Roses 120th.

Night all!

AC

Now that is what I would call a quality night !!!!

For me, a wild Turkey Flight (AS,RR101,86.8),some Larue Weller '05 and 4 roses 120. (not all too hefty):grin:

SippinJim
07-02-2008, 16:09
I'll probably hit the Buffalo Trace again. :)

OscarV
07-02-2008, 16:55
Bulleit on the rocks.
I really like this bourbon.

Special Reserve
07-02-2008, 17:20
Since it's summer I've added a rock.

I've started out on BT but soon hit Bulleit. (With apologies to Bob Dylan.) I like both, but I'd definitely purchase BT again.

Will

JamesW
07-02-2008, 20:02
Started with scotch tonight.... Aberlour A'bunach Batch #18, Highland Park 12 yr , and now Weller Centennial Julio's 13 yr.

callmeox
07-02-2008, 20:11
I had a WT101 Old Fashioned at the House of Blues while participating in "Murder Mystery Dinner Theater" and now I'm capping the night with a pour from my vacation bottle of ORVW 10/90.

It is really tough to stay with the 10/90 with a Stagg, three Saz18's and a Pappy 15 in boxes in the other room. :bigeyes:

The liquor store owner shed a tear as I drove away. He did shake my hand and ask if I would be back next summer. :grin:

darkluna
07-02-2008, 21:54
I've been on a margarita kick lately. Fresh squeezed lime juice, simple syrup, tequila (blanco) and Cointreau on the rocks -- no salt. Yum. I'm going through limes like they're going out of style.

P.S. Great Avatar, callmeox!

SBOmarc
07-02-2008, 22:54
I visited JBB, 1792 current, Weller 12, and finishing with a Buffalo Trace. Wife doing Pomm Martini's. Kids gone for the evening, On the Veranda.

Rock and Roll on the Bose 201"s

The neighbors are NOT Happy!

spun_cookie
07-03-2008, 00:09
RHFs, PVW15, Lot B and 4R40th... a little of the last three with the wife :D

JamesW
07-03-2008, 06:48
Bakers... I think I am doen with Beam products all together..

I agree Emerald. The Beam products have a raunchy flavor that is probably related to the yeast they use or something. Just not pleasant and the fact that they all taste the same (just with different ages and proofs) doesn't do anything for me either.

JamesW
07-03-2008, 06:49
Working on the vacation bottle of ORVW 10/90 while reading a Bill Bryson book about Australia.

I too am reading a Bill Bryson book this summer... A Short History of Nearly Everything http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

CorvallisCracker
07-03-2008, 10:46
Rock and Roll on the Bose 201"s

The neighbors are NOT Happy!

I wondered where that sound was coming from.

fishnbowljoe
07-03-2008, 17:53
ORVW 10/107. My first taste. WOW! Me like very much. Joe

JamesW
07-03-2008, 20:23
ORVW 10/107. My first taste. WOW! Me like very much. Joe

It's a great value there Joe... one of my favorites. Have you tried any of the other Van Winkles? Prepare to be blown away!

Tonight I started with a Van Winkle myself - Lot B, and now I'm enjoying a nice pour of Julio's Centennial.

Thesh
07-03-2008, 20:25
Forty Creek Canadian whisky... Looking to get drunk because I haven't been able to stop thinking about my job, which pays too well to quit and pisses me off too much to be happy.

And now I'm doing the stupidest thing imaginable when drinking.... Looking at the cost of staying in belgium for a week.

ggilbertva
07-03-2008, 20:35
I pulled out and old and older bottle. First up, Old Forester BIB early 80's and then some AAA 10 year '04. Both good and good for you.

Thesh
07-03-2008, 20:48
Now I'm on to some sawdust liquor, AKA Old Overholt.

bigtoys
07-03-2008, 21:04
Pappy 15 watching the Chicago fireworks on TV.
Happy Birthday USA! (a day early)

callmeox
07-03-2008, 21:05
I too am reading a Bill Bryson book this summer... A Short History of Nearly Everything http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

That's next on my list after this one. It is supposed to be a fun read.

I'm enjoying the second last pour from the vacation bottle of ORVW 10/90. It needs to last through tomorrow night so I don't have to transport an open bottle back home.

SBOmarc
07-03-2008, 21:07
There will only be one tonight. Lot B on one cube.

hjminard
07-03-2008, 23:17
Elijah Craig 18 year old

spun_cookie
07-03-2008, 23:49
WTRB... and a crazy poker party.... bad, bad, bad....

birdman1099
07-03-2008, 23:57
Having a tasting with my Father in Law.

willett 4 yr
wtrr 101
wt 86.,8
wtks 2000
Hirsch 16

and Glenlivet 16 cask strength.

woo hoo !!! Great Night !1!!

dONT Lose you ass, E !!!!

JamesW
07-04-2008, 22:07
Julio's Weller and then some ORVW 10/107. The ORVW keeps growing on me more and more.

spun_cookie
07-04-2008, 22:58
More WTRB...

dONT Lose you ass, E !!!!

Nothing like that... drunk clown with a motercycle tried to leave early... stopped him... but....

Any Moron that tries to drive a Bike after drinking should have his bike taken away.... oh.. and it was/had been raining... after dark.... dee-dee-dee

ILLfarmboy
07-05-2008, 20:15
Started out with WT 12 Split label in my glass. Now its Handy.

SBOmarc
07-05-2008, 21:28
Wild Turkey Rare Breed, out on the Veranda. The Bose are still reminding the neighbors what a fine band Steely Dan was in the 70's.

CorvallisCracker
07-05-2008, 22:09
Earlier today had some WT rye with ginger ale. Not bad.

fitzharry
07-05-2008, 23:38
I spent the evening sipping some mighty fine Old Charter 12 Year Old and enjoying every bit of it...I am only going to open a new bottle once a year in order to make this good bourbon last for some time.

spun_cookie
07-06-2008, 00:51
the last of the new version of WTRB.... and some MM variations... 101 and black..

JamesW
07-06-2008, 11:02
Last night I vatted 1/2 Julio's Weller with 1/2 VSOF. Wasn't bad but the VSOF was overpowered and it seemed that the less appealing elements of the VSOF came through more than the vanilla and caramel that always reminds me of Pappy 20. Perhaps if I mixed it 80-20 VSOF to Weller that might work better. or maybe with ORVW or something.

I did have a glass of ORVW 10/107 to finish the night though....

spun_cookie
07-06-2008, 11:40
Last night I vatted 1/2 Julio's Weller with 1/2 VSOF. Wasn't bad but the VSOF was overpowered and it seemed that the less appealing elements of the VSOF came through more than the vanilla and caramel that always reminds me of Pappy 20. Perhaps if I mixed it 80-20 VSOF to Weller that might work better. or maybe with ORVW or something.

I did have a glass of ORVW 10/107 to finish the night though....

Dude... the only thing the Julio's Weller should be vatted with is the air in your glass... the balance on that is so good that anything you put into it will take away the balance...

My personal vatting practice poses two whiskies that lean in opposite directions to get harmony...

What are you trying to overcome in the VSOF that does not work for you? ... If you are looking to soften it.. maybe the BernHeim... the two will bring you closer to the Julio's Weller...

JamesW
07-06-2008, 13:04
Dude... the only thing the Julio's Weller should be vatted with is the air in your glass... the balance on that is so good that anything you put into it will take away the balance...

My personal vatting practice poses two whiskies that lean in opposite directions to get harmony...

What are you trying to overcome in the VSOF that does not work for you? ... If you are looking to soften it.. maybe the BernHeim... the two will bring you closer to the Julio's Weller...

I know it sounds sacrilegious to mess with the Centennial but I thought to myself "what if I could add that vanilla-caramel flavor that I find in both the VSOF and Pappy 20 to the Centennial? This might even get me closer to a Pappy 15 at a fraction of the cost."
Unfortunately it didn't pan out. There's just something in the VSOF that I love and that is a bit lacking at the same time. It's hard to put a finger on it. I was hoping the Weller might fill-in the gaps in the taste profile.... but alas there seems to be no way of improving on that great Weller pour http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

bluesbassdad
07-06-2008, 13:13
I neglected to report on my sip of Eagle Rare 17 y/o during the evening of Independence Day.

Drinking bourbon only once, rarely twice a month has caused my frame of reference to shift dramatically. It's only a slight exaggeration to say that every drink is like my first, which is to say, overpowering.

Actually the nose was very pleasant and well-balanced between sweet and soot. However, I detected not a single nuance to justify resorting the SB.com list of bourbon flavors.

The palate, to but it bluntly, was a shock. After I recovered from the first sip, I resorted to placing a few drops at a time on my tongue. That's not a bad thing; an ounce of bourbon lasts an hour that way. The dominant flavor was char, regardless.

The finish involved flavor less than sensation. The back of my mouth and my throat felt as though they were expanding under pressure from a chemical reaction.

Next time I'm going to revisit the ERSB 10 y/o, which I recall as leaning toward sweetness -- probably best for a perpetual novice like me.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Gillman
07-06-2008, 14:52
I'd add some water, Dave.

Gary

ggilbertva
07-06-2008, 15:49
Last night I was able to meet Philsfan while attending a small gathering at Cigarnv's home. We had a great time and sampled a fine selection of bourbons:

Parker Heritage 1st release - I was an instant fan....loved it
ORVW 15/107
'78 Seagrams Benchmark Premium - very smooth
'04 Stagg - hotter than I remember
'82 Old Fitz BIB
FR120 - Very very good, wish I had a bottle
Lot B
..and other selections.

Thanks Reid....great time as usual.

EricABQ
07-06-2008, 17:20
WTKS. This particular bottle is pretty exceptional.

jburlowski
07-06-2008, 17:41
Finished a bottle of FR 40th followed by a pour (or two) of FR 120.

Been marvelling at the uniquely different taste profile of the FR expressions. I think it is the yeast. Definitely a fruity, yeasty, undertone unlike that found in other bourbons..

callmeox
07-06-2008, 18:05
We had a few friends over for a cookout this afternoon to bridge the gap between waking up in Myrtle Beach on Saturday and heading to work on Monday. I have to say that it worked out nicely.

One of the guys in attendance is a strictly beer and clear spirits guy, so he was on his own. The other guy is my Binny's order partner, so I mixed up a few really tasty whiskey sours with Templeton Rye. We followed them up with a nice pour of the Eagle Rare 10/101 that I just brought back with me. We were both impressed with the complexity of the whiskey. Yet another semi non-replaceable bottle that I really like. Sheez.

chilidawg7
07-06-2008, 18:22
Having some Weller Centennial this evening. Tasty stuff...

ggilbertva
07-06-2008, 18:31
Weller SR. This one's been sitting in the back of the liquor closet for a couple of months. Glad I brought it out tonight.

melting
07-06-2008, 18:40
Last night while watching a terribly boring Nascar race I enjoyed some William Larue Weller 117.9 proof. What a gem this turned out to be. I've had it for months but didn't open this bottle until about a month ago.

Tonight enjoying some Talisker while rooting for the Sox to beat the Yankees. And of course the holiday weekend was spent grilling and enjoying some good old American Sam Adams summer ale and Bud. In all likelihood this will be the last summer that Bud is American owned so that tradition will have to die in my backyard.

Chris

ILLfarmboy
07-06-2008, 19:13
Something light tonight. Powers Gold on the rocks. I briefly thought about choosing a bourbon and building a Manhattan in the glass but the Nolli Prat is clear down in the basement refrigerator. :skep:

JamesW
07-06-2008, 19:45
VSOF, Lot B, PVW 15 and now PVW 20. The 20 is great tonight!

fitzharry
07-06-2008, 21:30
Today I had a couple of glasses of Old Weller Antique 107 on the rocks with some cheese and crackers, and then I finished the night with some Old Charter 12 neat.

spun_cookie
07-06-2008, 21:46
Little Stagg 07.._______________

CorvallisCracker
07-06-2008, 21:53
Sippin' some Antique 7/107 while chatting with some SB.com'rs...

ACDetroit
07-07-2008, 18:27
A double tonight of Pappy 23 yr old (the double pour was due to the 2 additions to SB.com members family's), very nice.

Cheers to the Scott, Brenda and Georgia. Also to Tim, his wife (sorry) and Audrey!

Tony

Gillman
07-07-2008, 18:30
Cheers to all the new parents.

Tonight sipping at a beer, Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale, the red ale version.

Maybe whiskey later, maybe not, we'll see,

Gary

HipFlask
07-07-2008, 19:07
Some 07 George T Stagg. Now I that have 3 bottles in reserve. The bunker is growing!

chilidawg7
07-07-2008, 21:55
Old Grand Dad 114 tonight. A friend recommended a mixture of Dr. Pepper and OGD 114 when I was feeling adventurous. Tonight may be the night.

CorvallisCracker
07-07-2008, 22:52
VBT #118.

If it wasn't so late I'd open the Elmer T Lee that I bought at the same time. I'm really looking forward to that (never had ETL).

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

OscarV
07-08-2008, 13:01
Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998, neat.

HighTower
07-08-2008, 17:03
Last night it was Maker's Mark red and gold wax, then some Basil Hayden's.
That 101 Makers is good stuff!! Smells just like maple syrup!
Scott

SBOmarc
07-08-2008, 18:00
Ok, As much of a Maker's fan as I was, and in some ways continue to be, can we stop referencing the 101 version?

I live in SoCal, not an ebay guy and would enjoy a taste. Just one.

Mr. Samuels, nice job selling MM, now how about expanding your lineup in the USA.

ILLfarmboy
07-08-2008, 18:18
WT Rare breed.

After drinking WT 12 the other night, this RB seems a bit thin and lacking despite its barrel proof.

Everman75
07-08-2008, 18:19
Mr. Samuels, nice job selling MM, now how about expanding your lineup in the USA.

Amen.

As far as tonight, I'm having some ER 10 SB in a Glencairn. Great way to taste bourbon.

bigtoys
07-08-2008, 19:54
Old Forester 2007 Birthday bourbon in honor of my friend Jim's birthday. Of course, he's away on a golf outing. We'll have a drink (or 2 or 3 or...)together this weekend visiting our sons up at camp in Eagle River, WI.

ggilbertva
07-08-2008, 20:04
Mid 80's Rebel Yell which I believe would be SW bourbon.

SBOmarc
07-08-2008, 20:32
Mid 80's Rebel Yell which I believe would be SW bourbon.

Would love to revisit that pour. Had some very early in my journey and I afraid I was way before my time.

callmeox
07-08-2008, 20:55
I couldn't resist the lure of the cheezy gold foil WT12 so I opened it this evening after a 13 hour day at work. :bigeyes: It's the best Turkey I've ever tasted with a WTAS pending in the cabinet.

After trying to decode the numbers elsewhere on the bottle, I noticed a really cryptic 06/09/94 12:33 printed on the neck, so it looks like this was distilled around the time I started high school.

bigtoys
07-08-2008, 20:57
This is unusual, a second pour. Bulleit this time. One more work day, then a very long weekend.

bigtoys
07-08-2008, 21:00
I couldn't resist the lure of the cheezy gold foil WT12 so I opened it this evening ............. I noticed a really cryptic 06/09/94 12:33 printed on the neck, so it looks like this was distilled around the time I started high school.

Jeez, distilled a few months after my son was born.

OldJack
07-08-2008, 21:11
ER 10/101- I'm not worthy.

chilidawg7
07-08-2008, 21:11
Trying out the Bernheim Wheat Whiskey tonight...pretty good stuff.

bluesbassdad
07-08-2008, 21:45
WT Rare breed.

After drinking WT 12 the other night, this RB seems a bit thin and lacking despite its barrel proof.

Brad,

A humble suggestion: Try again, and this time focus on discerning aromas of honey and flowers.

IMO Rare Breed is apart from the Wild Turkey house profile. It tastes best when approached without expecting the heavy influence of the barrel (tannins?) that to me characterizes every other WT bourbon.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

CorvallisCracker
07-08-2008, 21:45
ETL SB - this is good stuff.

ILLfarmboy
07-08-2008, 22:30
Brad,

A humble suggestion: Try again, and this time focus on discerning aromas of honey and flowers.

IMO Rare Breed is apart from the Wild Turkey house profile. It tastes best when approached without expecting the heavy influence of the barrel (tannins?) that to me characterizes every other WT bourbon.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

On my second glass I did get the usually flowers accompanied by citrus notes. The honey, which I know is there, (this bottle has been opened since February), never showed itself. Or rather, I didn't pick up on it. Sometimes it has struck me as being almost as honeyd as Dalmore 12.

That second glass, was a bit hurried. We decided to go into town to the Dairy Queen and get a couple Blizzards. No worries, Janean drove. That was several hours ago. I could pour another glass, but its getting late. Its pretty much bedtime for Bonzo over here in this lonely (bourbon wise) corner of Northwestern ILL.

You are right about the tannins.

HighTower
07-09-2008, 05:59
Ok, As much of a Maker's fan as I was, and in some ways continue to be, can we stop referencing the 101 version?

I live in SoCal, not an ebay guy and would enjoy a taste. Just one.

When I met Bill in May, he told me my 101 bottles must be 20-30 years old. They are certainly not made any more.

Scott

HighTower
07-09-2008, 06:01
Tonight I had some mates from Sydney I used to play basketball with drop in.
We had Gentleman Jack, Maker's 101, Basil Hayden's, Woodford Reserve, RR101 and some American Spirit.

Scott

cigarnv
07-09-2008, 06:58
Picked up a bottle of EW BIB today and gave it a try. Actually a very nice BIB offering that is quite different from the HH BIB. I found it very soft, full flavored and mouth coating for what I assume to be a 4 year old product. For $12 in Virginia it is quite a good value.

rockporter
07-09-2008, 09:46
Had Men's Movie Night (Periodic gathering of random guy friends for non-girl movies) and watched Sixteen Blocks.

Pizza and Beer for others. Pizza and Eagle Rare 10 year-old for me. I offered but they chose Heinken Light! To each his own

OscarV
07-09-2008, 13:23
Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998, neat.

Same thing today.

StraightBoston
07-09-2008, 19:13
Lots of variations of S-W whiskey in a flight (see notes here) and a nightcap of VBT#119.

UPDATE: Note to others -- don't try them in the order I described! I dumped half of the 1792 down the drain...

Phischy
07-09-2008, 19:23
I'm drinking Old Grand Dad BIB w/ a dash of Boylan's Cane Cola. This stuff is expensive for soda, but seriously so much better than coke.

mozilla
07-09-2008, 19:54
Tonight, I've run through quite a few....couple pours of each. Dowling Deluxe Bib 8yr...if you haven't had it...find one! AAA and AA Bib...both worthy of a purchase. Lot B L-burg...'nough said there.

StraightBoston
07-09-2008, 19:59
Jeff--

Dowling Deluxe 8yo came up as a WAG in the Virtual Blind Tasting yesterday and no-one had heard of it -- where is it sold, and how does it differ in profile from other HH expressions?

mozilla
07-09-2008, 20:12
I have found all my bottles in Ky. The bottle in front of me sold for $13.35 for a liter.

If you have had any EW 7/90 from the early 80's....I would say that it is a 100 proof expression of that. There is no earthyness that comes through in EC12. It does have faint bits of dryness that you find in lots of the higher HH expressions. Wonderfully balenced....notes of nuts and well toasted caramel. One of the best HH bourbons I have had to date.

My bottle dates 06 with the DSP 31 sticker on the back. It does not seem to be 100% old HH....I say that as I take a sip from some HH 86 from 1994. They have some similar qualities, but the DD is just so much fatter and richer. If you make it to Ky, I highly recommend this Bib.