PDA

View Full Version : Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

JamesW
06-15-2008, 17:49
I thought I'd start a thread on what people are buying on this side of the Whisk(e)y aisle.http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Today I picked up another 2 Talisker 3-packs (3x200ml) The 10, 18, and distillers edition (13 yr). This pack was on sale for $50. Ended up cheaper /oz to buy this way than by the 750 ml bottles. I've really enjoyed these Taliskers and since I'm going out of town for a week I figured these little bottles in their special display box would travel well and give me a bit of variety on the road http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Cheers!
James

TNbourbon
06-15-2008, 17:58
I thought I'd start a thread on what people are buying on this side of the Whisk(e)y aisle.http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Today I picked up another 2 Talisker 3-packs (3x200ml) The 10, 18, and distillers edition (13 yr). This pack was on sale for $50. Ended up cheaper /oz to buy this way than by the 750 ml bottles. I've really enjoyed these Taliskers and since I'm going out of town for a week I figured these little bottles in their special display box would travel well and give me a bit of variety on the road http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Cheers!
James

Already have them. But, when starting such a thread:grin:, you might make note that in many states, Sunday liquor sales are not allowed. Thus, I couldn't buy anything today, not that I would have after spending my one-time, summer whiskey splurge yesterday on a pair of Four Roses 120th Anniversary.

JamesW
06-15-2008, 18:24
I've yet to get my hands on any of the four roses - especially the 120th anniversary. Nice score!

LeoDLion
06-16-2008, 07:56
For Fathers Day, my wife bought me a bottle of Talisker 18.

My two sons are also coming for a vacation and the oldest is an avid single malt drinker. I need to go to Specs and get some nice bottles.

TroyM
06-27-2008, 00:37
Most recent acquisitions are

Ardmore Traditional Cask
Laphroaig Cairdeas
Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Ardbeg Renaissance
Bruichladdich 1989 Full Strength

have only opened the Ardmore so far

JamesW
06-27-2008, 20:48

Ardmore Traditional Cask
Laphroaig Cairdeas
Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Ardbeg Renaissance

I haven't tried any of those. Let us know your thoughts on them.

spun_cookie
06-27-2008, 20:51
James... the Weller at Julio's is a thing of the past... just had to tell you the ad new... but it tasted good :D

JamesW
06-28-2008, 06:49
James... the Weller at Julio's is a thing of the past... just had to tell you the ad new... but it tasted good :D

So that's it then? My last 9 bottles are all I'll ever get? Darn..... and it didn't sound like anything was coming down the pipeline that could touch it with a stick.

RWBadley
06-28-2008, 23:05

Ardmore Traditional Cask
Laphroaig Cairdeas
Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Ardbeg Renaissance

I loved the Ardbeg back in the day. I'd love to get my hands on some. Let us know how the new stuff is.

TroyM
06-30-2008, 19:36
Havent had a chance to open my Laphroaig Cairdeas yet. Does anyone else have one open? Just interested on opinions on it. Apparently its an older version of the Qtr Cask with a portion of 17 year old aged in Makers Mark barrels.

LeoDLion
07-02-2008, 08:53

Ardmore Traditional Cask
Laphroaig Cairdeas
Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Ardbeg Renaissance

Its interesting that you are able to get hold of a Ardbeg Corryvreckan as they dont ship overseas. How did you get hold of a bottle?

LeoDLion
07-02-2008, 08:56
My two sons visited two weeks ago and the oldest is a single malt enthusiast. I then purchase the ff from Specs:

Ardbeg 10
Clynelish 18
Talisker 18
Benriarch Curiositas
Arran 18
Aberlour Abunad

My favorite of the lot is the Benriarch. I then bought a Lag and a Laph QC for him to take home.

TroyM
07-02-2008, 17:13
Its interesting that you are able to get hold of a Ardbeg Corryvreckan as they dont ship overseas. How did you get hold of a bottle?

They ship to everywhere bar Canada and the US

LeoDLion
07-03-2008, 05:55
They ship to everywhere bar Canada and the US
I am moving to Australia! :grin:

Megawatt
07-10-2008, 06:10
Jack Daniels Single Barrel and Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select. Both on sale...I saved over $25!

LeoDLion
07-10-2008, 06:52
I bought Ardbeg Renaissance and Aberlour A'bunadh 16 yrs old.

JamesW
07-10-2008, 08:17
I bought Ardbeg Renaissance and Aberlour A'bunadh 16 yrs old.

I love the A'bunadh. How's the Ardberg Renaissance?

CorvallisCracker
07-10-2008, 09:53
I bought...Aberlour A'bunadh 16 yrs old.

Huh?

a'bunadh - at least every bottle I've seen - is NAS.

Aberlour has a 12yo and 16yo, fairly well-distributed (can get them here in OR anyway), but these are not labelled "a'bunadh". Another significant difference is that the 12 and 16 are aged in a combination of ex-sherry and ex-bourbon casks, and the a'bunadh is 100% ex-sherry.

Aberlour makes a 15yo that's 100% sherry-cask aged. I may buy one at some point.

LeoDLion
07-10-2008, 10:14
Huh?

a'bunadh - at least every bottle I've seen - is NAS.

Aberlour has a 12yo and 16yo, fairly well-distributed (can get them here in OR anyway), but these are not labelled "a'bunadh". Another significant difference is that the 12 and 16 are aged in a combination of ex-sherry and ex-bourbon casks, and the a'bunadh is 100% ex-sherry.

Aberlour makes a 15yo that's 100% sherry-cask aged. I may buy one at some point.
You are right, its only Aberlour 16 yrs old not the Aberlour A'bunadth. I am curious as to how the combination sherry and bourbon mixes.

LeoDLion
07-10-2008, 10:15
I love the A'bunadh. How's the Ardberg Renaissance?
It has not arrived, the Renaissance will be delayed another week due to no stock.

JamesW
07-10-2008, 18:43
Let me know about the Aberlour 16 as well. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif Cheers!

jpact
07-15-2008, 21:18
I picked up an Ardbeg 10 and tried it for the 1st time today. It blew me away with it's depth of character. I have a new favorite single malt.

(At least for this week!) :lol:

Megawatt
07-16-2008, 16:03
Damn, they just stopped selling Ardbeg in my area :(

Today I picked up Woodford Reserve ($7.50 off) and Forty Creek Barrel Select. The Barrel Select is really starting to grow in me; until now I had thought of it as overrated...

jpact
07-16-2008, 21:41
I bought a Forty Creek a while back that I thought was OK, but it didn't sing for me and I don't anticipate going back for more. But as far as Canadian, I've just stocked up with several bottles of Wiser's Very Old. One of the local grocery stores mistakenly restocked the Wiser's Deluxe with a case of the Very Old, and sold it for $14.50 a bottle. I felt a little bit guilty, but not enough so as to correct them. Seller beware!

:bandit:

(I really don't drink much Canadian anymore, but it will always be fond since Seagram's VO was my gateway drug into whiskey drinking, back in my early 20's.)

Megawatt
07-18-2008, 05:59
I bought a Forty Creek a while back that I thought was OK, but it didn't sing for me and I don't anticipate going back for more. But as far as Canadian, I've just stocked up with several bottles of Wiser's Very Old. One of the local grocery stores mistakenly restocked the Wiser's Deluxe with a case of the Very Old, and sold it for $14.50 a bottle. I felt a little bit guilty, but not enough so as to correct them. Seller beware!

:bandit:

(I really don't drink much Canadian anymore, but it will always be fond since Seagram's VO was my gateway drug into whiskey drinking, back in my early 20's.)

Wow, you lucky bugger! Wiser's Very Old is fantastic, and at that price they might as well give it away for free. Screw correcting them! In Canada the price has gone up to $45 a bottle, which is still pretty reasonable for an 18-year-old whisky.

LeoDLion
07-23-2008, 12:12
Let me know about the Aberlour 16 as well. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif Cheers!
I opened the Aberlour 16 last night. I recently also opened A'bunadh batch #16 last weekend. I prefer the A'bunadth to the Aberlour 16. The 16 has a peppery taste but the A'bunadh has more sherry taste. Other than that the color and taste are very similar.

Gov
07-23-2008, 18:30
Glenmorangie original 10 year old

JamesW
07-24-2008, 08:19
I picked up an Ardbeg 10 and tried it for the 1st time today. It blew me away with it's depth of character. I have a new favorite single malt.

(At least for this week!) :lol:

I can't seem to find the Ardberg anywhere http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Gov
07-24-2008, 10:07
I can't seem to find the Ardberg anywhere http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

http://shoppersvineyard.com/product_new.asp?pID=10638

You will not find it any cheaper! Order up!

tango-papa
07-24-2008, 15:26
http://shoppersvineyard.com/product_new.asp?pID=10638

You will not find it any cheaper! Order up!

Wow! That's a fantastic price!

~tp

melting
07-24-2008, 17:49
James, what part of Massachusetts are you located in. Ardbeg is all over the place. It usually runs about $50.00, and $45.00 or so when it's on sale. Last year I could buy it for $37.99 locally, but the prices have risen with the decline of the dollar.

Chris

JamesW
07-24-2008, 18:45
I'm in Western MA. Pioneer Valley to be specific. Where have you seen it? I might have to take a road trip or perhaps I'll pick up a bottle on my trip out to CA next week if I see one.

Megawatt
07-26-2008, 11:04
I picked up my first bottle of Scapa 14 yesterday. Fantastic! Smooth and honeyed, a touch of fruit and spice. Not unlike Longmorn, but less spicy and zesty. I love it!

melting
07-26-2008, 11:26
You can get it at Wyman's or Kappy's. I'm not sure of the current price. I buy 90 percent of my whisky in New Hampshire. Go to the website at NH.gov and you can check the inventory and prices online for individual stores. It's worth a few hours of your time to make the trip. I've been going about once a month prepared with a list to make sure I don't forget anything.

The sweet part is that I go to Brookline. There are three connected stores on route 13. The one on the left is the state liquor store where you buy the booze.

The one in the middle is a small convenience store where I buy all my beer.

The one on the right is the tobacco shop where I can buy smokes for 2/3 the price of what they cost in Massachusetts.

Chris

JamesW
07-26-2008, 14:44
Thanks for the heads up. I found an Ardberg 10 for $52. Not sure I'll pull the trigger at that price for a 10 yr old. Going to check the NH website.

JamesW
07-28-2008, 14:49
Yowza :bigeyes:! The price of Whisky continues to climb. My usual haunt had the Ardberg 10 (ordered after my requests) at $64! A little steep for a 10 year old. In fact all their booze jumped in price by about 10 - 15% over the last few weeks. They claim a strong Euro and weak Dollar for that etc....

In any case I picked up a Pulteney 12 yr for $39 (I'm very excited to try it tonight) and also a 375ml of Macallan 12 yr for $24 that came with a nifty free ($10 value but the guy threw it in since I do a bit of business there:grin:) Macallan flask with 2 built in shot glasses. Also got a 24 of Corona.

Megawatt
07-29-2008, 05:51
Thanks for the heads up. I found an Ardberg 10 for $52. Not sure I'll pull the trigger at that price for a 10 yr old. Going to check the NH website.

$75 in Ontario, when it was still available...

Megawatt
07-29-2008, 11:12
Finally got some Crown Royal Limited Edition yesterday. Extremely smooth and buttery on the palette. Less spicy than regular CR, but very pleasant overall...

Gov
07-30-2008, 11:59
(2) Aberlour 12 yr olds for $19 a piece :grin:
(1) Elijah Craig 12 yr old (this will be my first taste of it)

JamesW
07-30-2008, 14:50
(2) Aberlour 12 yr olds for $19 a piece :grin:

Wow, great score! How'd you pull that off?

Gov
07-30-2008, 15:04
Wow, great score! How'd you pull that off?

It was at a grocery store near me and not a big chain one.

JamesW
07-30-2008, 17:15
Picked up a Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood today to replace the bottle I killed my last night. I payed 39.99 less than a month ago and now it's at $52. Geez. I wish my paycheck grew at that rate.

JamesW
08-01-2008, 13:06
Picked up some Old Pulteney 12 yr. Leaving on a road trip to the coast and thought the salty brine in this one would taste even better by the ocean :cool:

Megawatt
08-03-2008, 09:28
New purchase! Dun Bheagan Islay vintage 1999. I heard a rumour that this is actually an independent bottling of Lagavulin, but to me it tastes more like Bowmore. Very salty, smokey, a bit floral. Powerful stuff; it will take a bit of getting used to, but it's great for when a big, smokey malt is called for. Cheaper than just about any other Islay malt around these parts, too.

PAspirit1
08-10-2008, 14:56
Yesterday I bought two 100 ml bottles of The Glenrothes Select Reserve. I enjoy buying whisky in these smaller amounts and I wish 100, 200 and 375 ml bottles were commonplace. If you are in or near PA, they are going for 4.99$ + tax per bottle. That's not too bad considering a 50 ml of The Macalan 12 is 4$ a pop.

Frodo
08-12-2008, 00:23
New purchase! Dun Bheagan Islay vintage 1999.

I consider this to be one of the great deals at the LCBO (Redbreast 12yr @ $43 being the other)! Great choice!!!

chperry
08-16-2008, 14:00
A bottle of 1967 Glen Keith (distilled in 1967, bottled in 2006). Not cheap but it is my birth year and I had to have it ;-) Now to wait for a special occasion.

PAspirit1
08-16-2008, 15:58
I bought a bottle of Craggonmore 12. I'm waiting for a special occasion, like 7 pm.

Megawatt
08-17-2008, 09:18
I bought a bottle of Craggonmore 12. I'm waiting for a special occasion, like 7 pm.

Funny, I just tried my first glass last night at a restaurant. I doubt you will be disappointed with it...

PAspirit1
08-17-2008, 14:22
Funny, I just tried my first glass last night at a restaurant. I doubt you will be disappointed with it...

I am very happy with it. It is a very sweet and flavorful Speysider. I haven't yet picked up any smoke at the finish but I have had only a couple of pours.

TBoner
08-18-2008, 19:10
Cragganmore 12 is a terrific dram. It has about the busiest nose in SMS; sort of the Elmer T. Lee of the Scotch world.

Regards,

TBoner
08-28-2008, 20:55
I picked up 4 bottles. :shocked:

Highland Park 18, Longmorn 15, Dalmore 12, and Laphroaig 10. Been drinking a lot of Scotch lately and needed to replace some fallen (or soon-to-fall) soldiers.

Regards,

Megawatt
08-30-2008, 08:37
I picked up 4 bottles. :shocked:

Highland Park 18, Longmorn 15, Dalmore 12, and Laphroaig 10. Been drinking a lot of Scotch lately and needed to replace some fallen (or soon-to-fall) soldiers.

Regards,

That's a nice haul there, T. How is Dalmore? Been interested in trying it...

Yesterday I picked up some Redbreast 12 for the first time. Very mellow and subtle, as I would expect from a triple-distilled Irish. Some toasted nut/coffee cake aromas, with wood and sherry flavours. More balanced than Jameson 12, I would say.

CorvallisCracker
08-30-2008, 11:13
Yesterday I picked up some Redbreast 12 for the first time. Very mellow and subtle, as I would expect from a triple-distilled Irish. Some toasted nut/coffee cake aromas, with wood and sherry flavours. More balanced than Jameson 12, I would say.

Rb 12 is my favorite Irish.

I also use it in my favorite malt vatting, a 1:1 with a'bunadh. Both are very rich, and the Rb cuts the peat and sherry. Plus the resulting proof is about 100, which is, as Goldilocks would say, "just right".

TBoner
08-30-2008, 11:51
Agreed. Redbreast is simply fantastic with the fullest mouthfeel of an 80-proofer I know.

Dalmore is very good and an excellent value. The 12 is well-balanced, purportedly a 60:40 bourbon cask:sherry cask ratio. The sweet vanilla and beautiful fruit (orange, mostly, and some plum) mean that it can be used as an after dinner drink, but it's not so sherry heavy as some other Highland malts have become, so it's good anytime. In the UK, the bottling has changed to a 50:50 ratio, and I have not tasted this more sherry-heavy version, but it will probably replace the current version on US shelves soon (with a price increase, no doubt:rolleyes:). I don't go as crazy for the Dalmore Cigar Malt, but it is rumored to be whiskey in its teens. It's more sherried and richer and quite good with chocolate (and cigars, though I actually prefer it with a good Virginia pipe tobacco).

Regards,

LeoDLion
09-03-2008, 11:22
I went to Specs today and got a bottle of Glenfarclas 105. I haven't have this particular release. I also bought 3 bottles of 1.75 liters of Glen Parker for my home maturing project.

JamesW
09-12-2008, 10:37
Today I picked up a Redbreast 12 yr. Looking forward to enjoying some this evening.

Gov
09-12-2008, 17:13
Today I picked up a Redbreast 12 yr. Looking forward to enjoying some this evening.

Please let us know your thoughts. If you have had Jameson 12 or Black Bush, I am interested in your differences between them

JamesW
09-12-2008, 18:23
The Redbreast is really quite nice. I've had the Jamesons 12 but not the Bushmills. The Redbreast reminds me of a combo of Old Pulteney for brine, some Talisker for spice, and Balvenie doublewood for the sherry notes. It is superior to the Jamesons no doubt. I don't have them side-by-side so this is from memory. I last had the Jamesons about 3 weeks ago. All in all terrific whisky!

Gov
09-12-2008, 19:57
The Redbreast is really quite nice. I've had the Jamesons 12 but not the Bushmills. The Redbreast reminds me of a combo of Old Pulteney for brine, some Talisker for spice, and Balvenie doublewood for the sherry notes. It is superior to the Jamesons no doubt. I don't have them side-by-side so this is from memory. I last had the Jamesons about 3 weeks ago. All in all terrific whisky!

Thanks, I think I will purchase a bottle this weekend!

Megawatt
09-14-2008, 14:56

Are you comparing Redbreast 12 to regular Jameson? If so, you really should try Jameson 12, as it is a much fairer comparison. I still think Redbreast wins for balance, though. Jameson 12 is almost completely overtaken by the sherried wood, whereas Redbreast leaves room for lovely malt flavour.

TBoner
09-14-2008, 17:44
Agreed. Jameson 12 is better than Jameson, and plain ol' Jameson is better than it used to be: Jim Murray has pointed out that the pot still stuff that once wound up in Powers seems to be getting into Jameson bottles these days. Regardless, I prefer all of 'em to most of the Bushmills I've tasted (Black Bush excepted: what a balanced dram it is, and just right before a hearty dinner).

Regards,

JamesW
09-15-2008, 13:39
Are you comparing Redbreast 12 to regular Jameson? If so, you really should try Jameson 12, as it is a much fairer comparison. I still think Redbreast wins for balance, though. Jameson 12 is almost completely overtaken by the sherried wood, whereas Redbreast leaves room for lovely malt flavour.

You are right Sir. It was Jamesons and not Jamesons 12 I that I had for comparison. Thanks for the correction.

Megawatt
09-16-2008, 06:08
Yesterday I purchased the Compass Box Peat Monster, since it was $10 off at the LCBO. Pretty good so fa, though I've only had one drink. Less salty than most Islays I've had. More smoke and peat, with some Speyside character hiding beneath the tangy burnt-grass aromas. It will definitely require further exploration...

Megawatt
09-19-2008, 17:58
New purchase; Danfield's Limited Edition 21-year-old. This stuff is excellent. Lots of vanilla, hints of fruit and butterscotch. Full on the palate, with a huge oak presence.

JamesW
09-19-2008, 18:35
New purchase; Danfield's Limited Edition 21-year-old. This stuff is excellent. Lots of vanilla, hints of fruit and butterscotch. Full on the palate, with a huge oak presence.

Sounds very nice. Is the Danfield's a sherry cask or bourbon?

Megawatt
09-21-2008, 16:14
Definitely not sherry; probably refill bourbon or whatever the Candian standard is.

I now have the two oldest Canadian whiskies on the market in my collection...

ACDetroit
10-03-2008, 10:16
OK guys go easy on me, I'm not sure where I'm at (due to the fact) I've never been in this area of the board :lol:!

Well thanks to the advice of some folks here (STU and AVB (also on cigarpass) thank you both) I picked up today for a very modest price.

Ardbeg 1977 in the box, ran out and grabbed it at lunch, so no picture but I may post one latter tonight.

This makes for my second bottle of SMS...the first was a purchase due to a right up from Eric Meir who raved about the Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist (AKA the Beast) which I too really enjoy. I'm hoping the 1977 is just as good.

Cheers!

Tony

tango-papa
10-03-2008, 18:02
...Well thanks to the advice of some folks here (STU and AVB (also on cigarpass) thank you both) I picked up today for a very modest price.

Ardbeg 1977 in the box, ran out and grabbed it at lunch, so no picture but I may post one latter tonight.

This makes for my second bottle of SMS...the first was a purchase due to a right up from Eric Meir who raved about the Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist (AKA the Beast) which I too really enjoy. I'm hoping the 1977 is just as good.

Cheers!

Tony

Holy Crap! Part of me wants to know how much this cost you and part of me does not.
I do however, hope you found it for a really good 'ole dusty-bottle price as it's definitely considered a collectible by anyone who knows and loves Ardbeg. Glad to hear you'll be cracking it open as it would be a shame to let it sit.

Since attending a tasting of Laphroaig, I've hunted down older bottlings of:
Laphroaig (10 yr, 10 yr cask strength, 15 yr, and a 30 yr); Ardbeg (10 yr, the Beast and 17 yr); and Lagavulin 16 yr (one older White Horse bottle and a current bottling too).

And please, oh please, let me be the first to beg, borrow and plead...
Should you find and/or know the whereabouts of another I would love to have a bottle. Closest I've gotten in my hunts is the 17 yr and it's fantastic!

As it seems you enjoy the Islay style, do yourself a favor and get a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yr - it's incredible!

Congrats on a great find... oh, and you suck!:grin:

~tp

ACDetroit
10-03-2008, 19:01
Todd, thank you...I think :grin:! I did notice tonight this stuff says unchill filtered and 46% so I think it will be great! Here are a couple pics, The guy says he has more at the other store so well see Monday! Price was a couple dollars cheaper than the Beast I bought this summer.

Tony

Damn not sure why those came in sideways but I can not fix it now! Sorry but you can flip your lap top side ways.

PAspirit1
10-14-2008, 17:17
I picked up Old Pulteny 12 and Teachers today. I like Teachers and I hope that it will extend the life of my single malts. My wife really put a hurting on my Cragganmore 12.

AVB
10-14-2008, 19:37
Snagged a Glen Spey Flora & Fauna today. Even though I have one I'm damn jealous of that Ardbeg '77.

LeoDLion
10-16-2008, 06:09
And please, oh please, let me be the first to beg, borrow and plead...
Should you find and/or know the whereabouts of another I would love to have a bottle. Closest I've gotten in my hunts is the 17 yr and it's fantastic!
I know of another Ardbeg 1997 but its not for sale. Its on my shelf by the bar. he,he,he.

I also have the ff Ardbegs:
Spirit of Scotland 22 yrs
OMC 30 yrs (so called the Green Monster)
Lord of the Isles 25 yrs
OMC 25 years

and my prize one is Ardbeg Mhor 4.5 liters which I may open when my oldest son gets married next year!

MJL
10-26-2008, 18:56
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/MJLittman/Liquor/45cf46fe.jpg

I have found a real taste for Teachers as well. It is a bit hard to find in SoFla so I jumped when I found this 1.75l bottle for $29 the other day. Is this a blend of single malts?

Megawatt
10-26-2008, 19:39

I have found a real taste for Teachers as well. It is a bit hard to find in SoFla so I jumped when I found this 1.75l bottle for $29 the other day. Is this a blend of single malts?

Grain and malt, but it is said to contain a higher percentage of malt than your average blended Scotch.

AVB
10-26-2008, 19:52
I picked up a Glen Spey and a Milburn the other day.

LeoDLion
10-27-2008, 08:24
I bought a Benriach Curiositas last weekend and shared it with two friends. This one is very very peaty. I dont remember the exact ppm phenols but its higheer than Ardbeg or Lagavulin. And it taste as such. Its not as sweet as Ardbeg which I like. At only 46 abv, this one is best drunk neat. Its very good. The smell of peat is very strong- some say it smell of iodine or medicine. It you like the strong peaty whiskies from Islay you need to try the Curiositas although Benriach is from Speyside.

JamesW
10-27-2008, 20:26
I picked up a Glen Spey and a Milburn the other day.

How's that Millburn? Looks exotic and expensive.

AVB
10-28-2008, 05:35
Haven't opened the Milburn yet but it was getting up there in price, over $100 but less than $200.

How's that Millburn? Looks exotic and expensive.

LeoDLion
10-28-2008, 12:53

I am sure Teachers is a blend of single malts.

Megawatt
10-31-2008, 05:58
Picked up a new one last night: Isle of Jura Superstition. I quite like it so far. Light smoke and sweetness, with a sort of mineral flavour. Pretty smooth and balanced, though not the most flavourful Scotch I've tried.

JamesW
10-31-2008, 08:48
I picked up Old Pulteny 12 and Teachers today. I like Teachers and I hope that it will extend the life of my single malts. My wife really put a hurting on my Cragganmore 12.

How do you like that Old Pulteney 12?

PAspirit1
10-31-2008, 15:13
How do you like that Old Pulteney 12?

Hey James,

I like it alot. It's flavors are hard for me to describe. Its not really sweet and it's not smokey. For a while I was tasting something like very lightly sweetend cheerios. Recently it has seemed a little sweeter then my first impression. I'm still working on this one.

ACDetroit
11-07-2008, 11:24
I'm not sure I want to post this but feel I should! Please remember hate the game not the player!!

Today I went back to the same shop as before and sure enough he had another Ardbeg 1977! So needless to say I grabbed it. I have a special guest coming to town in a couple weeks and I think this will be a fine bottle to try with one of the cigars he'll be be bringing!

BangleMan? If you read this post we will be doing a couple pairings if you think it's possible?

Tony

texascarl
11-08-2008, 09:27
Holiday packages are out, a bottle of NAS Jameson has got a pair of nice looking glasses included.

This is much tastier than I remembered. I'm going to go buy another today.

Jono
11-08-2008, 12:51
Jameson is a very nice drinking whiskey....and the glasses are a great bonus

tango-papa
11-08-2008, 14:03
I'm not sure I want to post this but feel I should! Please remember hate the game not the player!!

Today I went back to the same shop as before and sure enough he had another Ardbeg 1977! So needless to say I grabbed it. I have a special guest coming to town in a couple weeks and I think this will be a fine bottle to try with one of the cigars he'll be be bringing!

BangleMan? If you read this post we will be doing a couple pairings if you think it's possible?

Tony

Tony,

That's gonna be a really nice dramming session!
And you still suck!:lol:

~tp

ACDetroit
11-08-2008, 14:06
Tony,

That's gonna be a really nice dramming session!
And you still suck!:lol:

~tp

Had a feeling it would be you commenting on this one Todd! Thanks for the bust and yes I think the Herf/Dram session will be very nice!

Oh yeah I knew the other part!!:slappin::slappin:

Tony

texascarl
11-11-2008, 17:30
Saw some JWBlack at about $8 less than local market price and snapped up a bottle. Can't have too much whisk(e)y around the house.

JamesW
11-12-2008, 08:33
Picked up an Ardberg 10 this a.m. Man the prices are high $60.99

OscarV
11-12-2008, 12:09
I just received from my friendly UPS guy 2 bottles of Laphroaig 15yo.

Hey Tony, got one for you and for a little less than I told you the other night.

ACDetroit
11-12-2008, 12:25
I just received from my friendly UPS guy 2 bottles of Laphroaig 15yo.

Hey Tony, got one for you and for a little less than I told you the other night.

Dude this is weird? For some reason I feel out of place in this thread and now that you're here! It really feels like a bad Twilight Zone episode!
Where is this Whisk(e)y from?? Not Kentucky right? Are we allowed to drink whisk(e)y that aint from Kentucky?
Will this stuff make me talk funny? Ey, I believe it will old chap!

Tony

OscarV
11-12-2008, 12:29
Tony, all I know is that it is hitting the spot right now,....so how's it going at work?:grin:

ACDetroit
11-12-2008, 12:33
Man I need your hours, though I am not positive my bunker could handle working your hours! Being in the bunker from 1:00 to 1:00 might reek havoc on my stash :lol:.

Glad to see your home and sure I'm in for a Laphroaig 15, thanks buddy.

Tony

texascarl
11-14-2008, 16:40
A handle of White Horse, and a gift pack of Black Bush(mills)

Megawatt
11-21-2008, 19:29
Today I picked up something interesting: Isle of Arran Robert Burns. This is a unique, almost enigmatic whisky; extremely smooth with virtually no bite, yet it has a full, creamy body. The nose reminds me of bubble gum. On the palate it is full of wonderful fruit; pear, sour apple, sweet pineapple. I noticed a slight rubbery note at first but either it faded or I quickly got used to it.

This whisky is very pale and I believe it's quite young, probably 5 to 8 years old, yet it is still worth the money. Dangerous stuff because it's so smooth.

JamesW
11-22-2008, 07:08
Today I picked up something interesting: Isle of Arran Robert Burns. This is a unique, almost enigmatic whisky; extremely smooth with virtually no bite, yet it has a full, creamy body. The nose reminds me of bubble gum. On the palate it is full of wonderful fruit; pear, sour apple, sweet pineapple. I noticed a slight rubbery note at first but either it faded or I quickly got used to it.

This whisky is very pale and I believe it's quite young, probably 5 to 8 years old, yet it is still worth the money. Dangerous stuff because it's so smooth.

Sounds delicious. In what class would you put it - i.e. compared to what priced bottle? How much did it set you back?

Megawatt
11-23-2008, 06:47
Sounds delicious. In what class would you put it - i.e. compared to what priced bottle? How much did it set you back?

It was just slightly more expensive than Glenfiddich 12, so I would call it an entry-level malt. The taste is actually quite similar to the Solera Reserve, though. I wonder what casks were used.

This distillery will be a powerhouse in a few more years, I think. If their young whiskies are this good...

Rughi
11-23-2008, 10:18
I've been on a Coastal kick the last several months.

It's the brine and salt that I've been thirsting for - and peat/smoke only gets in the way of that profile - so a lot of the heavy hitters (Laphraoig, Lagavulin, Caol Ila, Talisker, Longrow, Highland Park, etc.) are sidelined for the moment.

We had a fun tasting of four at the October EBSG of some of these:

Bruichladdich 15
Old Pulteney 12
Springbank 10
Clynelish 15 (Signatory)

The funny thing about that tasting is the Springbank annoyed the crew, as the whispy hint of peat it had took over.

I picked up a Scapa 14 yesterday to continue on in this vein.

My first impression of the Scapa is that, like the Pulteney, the somewhat thin 80 proof bottling of the Scapa begins the experience as a bit fleeting, where you know there's magic in there, but you have to go after it. It's a bit oily, salty and a bit appley/melony.

And, as I could end almost any review of good wicky, Wonderful Stuff.

Roger

PAspirit1
11-23-2008, 12:53
I picked up The Famous Grouse 12 yesterday. It wasn't on my radar at all, but I noticed that PA was closing it out and dropping the price down. I coincedentally bought the regular FG last week so I'll get to try them together. I think I read on the label that FG12 has no grain spirits and the wiskeys are married in wood and not just blended and bottled. This sounds promising.

Megawatt
11-23-2008, 17:54
I picked up The Famous Grouse 12 yesterday. It wasn't on my radar at all, but I noticed that PA was closing it out and dropping the price down. I coincedentally bought the regular FG last week so I'll get to try them together. I think I read on the label that FG12 has no grain spirits and the wiskeys are married in wood and not just blended and bottled. This sounds promising.

Some of the best whisky you can get for the money, if you ask me.

JamesW
11-24-2008, 11:14
Picked up a Talisker 10 yr.

jpact
11-30-2008, 16:00
I just posted my weekend shopping over in the general bourbon forum, but one of the bottles was a Penderyn AC single malt Welsh whisky. Aged in bourbon casks and finished in madiera.

Megawatt
11-30-2008, 16:37
I just posted my weekend shopping over in the general bourbon forum, but one of the bottles was a Penderyn AC single malt Welsh whisky. Aged in bourbon casks and finished in madiera.

Well how is it? I think that stuff goes for $100 in these parts.

jpact
12-03-2008, 09:28

I can't say. Unfortunately I caught my kids' cold and my smelling and tasting is temporarilly limited. I paid $67 so I'm not about to waste it while numb. For now I have to keep it inexpensive, and peaty/smokey just so I can feel something. Last night's pour was White Horse.

Megawatt
12-07-2008, 16:44
I picked up the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban today. I've never had a port-finished Scotch before. It's pretty decent stuff, sweet and malty with fruity wine notes. Should have gone for Talisker 18 instead, though...

Lost Pollito
12-08-2008, 09:28
Yeah, Glenmorangie just hasn't done anything for me yet. I'm hoping to be impressed at some point. It just seems pleasant and uneventfull to me at this point. I like a little more depth.

LeoDLion
12-10-2008, 07:21
I was out of town and in a local liquor store I found these bargain. A 12 yr old Glenlivet with two glasses for $30. So I bought it. Glenlivet being one of the better known Speyside single malt is popular here in the US. But its too mild for my taste. But the price is a bargain. The local store sells it for $36.

Megawatt
12-10-2008, 09:59
I think The Glenlivet 12 is good for a cheaper Scotch.

I just picked up Glenkinchie Distillers Edition 1992. Haven't opened yet, though; saving it for the weekend!

JamesW
12-17-2008, 10:48
Picked up a Glenlivet Nadurra and an Old Pulteney 12 this morning.

Megawatt
12-17-2008, 12:23
Picked up a Glenlivet Nadurra and an Old Pulteney 12 this morning.

I tried Nadurra the other day and thought it was lovely! Very good price for what it is, too. I will have to get some eventually...

My most recent purchase was Talisker 18. It might be the best whisky I've ever tasted.

JamesW
12-17-2008, 13:02
I tried Nadurra the other day and thought it was lovely! Very good price for what it is, too. I will have to get some eventually...

My most recent purchase was Talisker 18. It might be the best whisky I've ever tasted.

I agree. The Talisker 18 may well be my favorite Scotch. The 10 yr version isn't too bad either. The Nadurra was on sale for $50 so I'm looking forward to it. The OP12 is a phenomenal value for $35.

Megawatt
12-17-2008, 16:10
I agree. The Talisker 18 may well be my favorite Scotch. The 10 yr version isn't too bad either. The Nadurra was on sale for $50 so I'm looking forward to it. The OP12 is a phenomenal value for $35.

Talisker 10 has gone up to $72 in Ontario, so the $96 I paid for the 18 doesn't seem to bad, really. I loved the 10 but the 18 is really that much better. Only had one glass so far...I'm hoping it lasts me quite some time...

Trying to decide on my next purchase. I'm thinking the Nadurra or probably The Arran Malt Tokaji Aszu finish. It sounds promising, and that distillery puts out some fantastic whisky from my experience.

JamesW
12-17-2008, 19:00
Talisker 10 has gone up to $72 in Ontario, so the $96 I paid for the 18 doesn't seem to bad, really. I loved the 10 but the 18 is really that much better. Only had one glass so far...I'm hoping it lasts me quite some time...

Trying to decide on my next purchase. I'm thinking the Nadurra or probably The Arran Malt Tokaji Aszu finish. It sounds promising, and that distillery puts out some fantastic whisky from my experience.

The 10 is $50 here and the 18 is $72. I agree that the 18 is that much better. $96 CAD is not too bad to be honest.

ACDetroit
12-17-2008, 20:00
Not sure why, I don't even know if I like it but I thought it was older Single Malt.

Now looking at the cylinder I see this is not a 750ml...it's 4/5 quart.

Black tube with gold, with red writing.

Ten Year Old
GLENFIDDICH
unblended
Scotch Whisky

Looking inside the bottle is tax stamped and came with a neck tag to free membership to the Academy of Malt Scotch Whisky.

Unlike bourbon Scotch bottles do not show a year in the glass on the bottom. Any ideas of the date on this bottle! I'll post note once open.

QUESTION? After looking online a little I do not see this available anymore? Does Glenfiddich make the 10yr expression any more?
Thanks,

Tony

ACDetroit
12-17-2008, 21:25
Here are a couple photo's if it helps.

AVB
12-18-2008, 06:44
Looks very close to the late 60's bottle I had but without having them side by side it is hard to say for sure. Mine had a date and "William Grant and Sons" on the tax stamp.

Megawatt
12-18-2008, 07:39
The 10 is $50 here and the 18 is $72. I agree that the 18 is that much better. $96 CAD is not too bad to be honest.

No, I agree. I wanted to grab a bottle before Diageo jacks up the price like the rest of their products.

Megawatt
12-18-2008, 07:40
Not sure why, I don't even know if I like it but I thought it was older Single Malt.

Now looking at the cylinder I see this is not a 750ml...it's 4/5 quart.

Black tube with gold, with red writing.

Ten Year Old
GLENFIDDICH
unblended
Scotch Whisky

Looking inside the bottle is tax stamped and came with a neck tag to free membership to the Academy of Malt Scotch Whisky.

Unlike bourbon Scotch bottles do not show a year in the glass on the bottom. Any ideas of the date on this bottle! I'll post note once open.

QUESTION? After looking online a little I do not see this available anymore? Does Glenfiddich make the 10yr expression any more?
Thanks,

Tony

Nope, Glenfiddich doesn't make a 10 and hasn't for years as far as I'm aware.

JamesW
12-19-2008, 10:43
Picked up a Talisker 18 today. Probably my favorite Scotch on most days.

Megawatt
12-20-2008, 10:34
Picked up a Talisker 18 today. Probably my favorite Scotch on most days.

I put that idea in your head, didn't I? ;-)

Gov
12-24-2008, 10:12
The Macallan 12 (sherry) with an 18 yo mini!
Dewars 12
Clan MacGregor 1.75l

Megawatt
12-24-2008, 12:05
The Macallan 12 (sherry) with an 18 yo mini!
Dewars 12
Clan MacGregor 1.75l

Do let us know once you've tried the 18. Interested to hear how it compares to the 12.

Rughi
12-25-2008, 17:17
I picked up a Tyrconnell nas recently.

Because it is a single malt without any ostentatious peat or barrel finishes, somehow I got it in my mind that it would be a good comparison to a watered Glenlivet Nadurra - basic Irish Malt versus basic Scotch flavors.

That idea didn't really hold up, as the Nadurra is really its own wonderful creature, but the Tyrconnell is quite good as its own malt: a little malty (duh!), a little sweet pear flavor, and a taste that starts sweet and finishes dry. It's quite good, but more than a bit faint and mild at its 40%abv. I'd love to have a taste of it not so heavily diluted.

When the EBSG met up last, one of us remarked on how much it has improved in the last several years. It was fresh and light compared to the Redbreast 12, which I also liked well.

Roger

JeffJ
12-26-2008, 11:15
Picked up a Ardbeg 10yo today.

I'm guessing it was on the shelf before the price bump 'cause I got it under $50.

Can't wait till this evening to sample it.

Gov
12-26-2008, 16:40
Do let us know once you've tried the 18. Interested to hear how it compares to the 12.

I plan on having it to ring in the new year!!! Will do!

boss302
12-26-2008, 23:41

In my opinion, the MacAllan 18 is THE quintessential sherry-matured single malt. If you are only allowed to try 5 single malt whiskies in your life, this has to be one of them.

It definitely has more depth than the 12-year, but isn't as overbearingly-oaky as the 25-year. XO Cognac has nothing on this hearty, ultra-refined whisky.

shoshani
12-27-2008, 21:15
We had an unseasonably warm and thus rolling-misty night, which reminded me somewhat of the image of a Scottish moor. I decided only one thing would fill the bill: Springbank.

I last had Springbank a decade ago, when they were selling more age-expressions than Glenfarclas does. They're just down to a 10YO and a 10YO 100 proof that I could find (the distillery itself is mothballed). so I grabbed the 100 proofer. Fresh, clean, EXACTLY what I wanted.

Also picked up Edradour (sweet, sherry-ish) and Balvenie 10YO Founder's Reserve, which was its usual pleasant self. Jim Murray's Whisky Bible laments that this expression is being killed off, but Binny's seems to have plenty of it. And at 43%, not the 40% in his book.

jpact
12-28-2008, 20:19

Was with the extended family this past week for Christmas and we finally popped the Penderyn. I found it to be soft, sweet and fruity, maybe best compared with a highland single malt. (??) Kind of like it was the younger sister of the bourbon that we moved on to next. I prefer an Islay style to this, but that's not to say that I didn't enjoy it. We poured the Penderyn as a starter 3 nights in a row. They definitely know how to make whisky.

JamesW
12-29-2008, 09:32
I put that idea in your head, didn't I? ;-)

My last bottle of the 18 was finished about a month ago and I'd been waffling about getting another one given the price and the other bottle I've wanted to try. Hearing you talk about it got me craving it real bad.... :grin:

dgonano
01-02-2009, 18:51
Just picked up an Old Ballantruan and a few Bruichladdich ACE'D wkiskys. The 25 yr Brora and 29 yr Port Ellen arrived Tuesday. The Octomore is also on its way.

ACDetroit
01-07-2009, 18:05
Laphroaig 15 this evening. I just received a bottle in trade from a fellow SB'er but this one was in the canister and the label in different than the one I just received. It is one of my favorites so it can not hurt to have a spare!

Megawatt
01-09-2009, 19:44
Two bottles of Alberta Premium Limited Edition. They were $2.00 off an already ridiculous price. I think I'm on my third glass, and it's starting to show. But what the hell, I write better with a buzz...

JamesW
01-10-2009, 17:36
Picked up an HP12, Talisker 10, and a now rarer Bowmore 17.

JamesW
01-14-2009, 15:21
Picked up a Clynelish 14. Looking for ward to tasting tonight.

Megawatt
01-14-2009, 17:34
Picked up a Clynelish 14. Looking for ward to tasting tonight.

Had this one before? I've never tried it myself.

JamesW
01-14-2009, 18:51
Had this one before? I've never tried it myself.

First time. Just having my first taste now. Very interesting. Different. There's a fruity maltiness (no sherry) and a spicy chili pepper kick mid-palate and through to the finish lingering on the front and sides of my tongue.... a really nice burn. So far I like it very much.

Megawatt
01-14-2009, 19:32
Make a comparison, if you can. Does it remind you of another malt? It is a Speyside malt, no?

JamesW
01-15-2009, 05:37
It is a Highland Malt. It has brine and spice. It's really tough to pin a comparative malt. If forced to draw one, I'd say it's like an oily, salty, spicier Glenfiddich maybe? I'll need to spend more time with it I suppose....

JamesW
01-15-2009, 18:21
Make a comparison, if you can. Does it remind you of another malt? It is a Speyside malt, no?

Here's a quote from Malt Advocate... I agree with most it. They rated it an 87 which sound about right....

Clynelish, 14 year old, 46%, $45 87 Points
It's good to see an official distillery bottling of Clynelish in the U.S. This one is very true to the Clynelish style: fresh, appetizing, and very drinkable. Notes of brine, fruit (lemon-lime), and vanilla-accented malt, are the foundation of this whisky. Delicate seaweed, peat, exotic pepper and a hint of citrus rind bitterness entertain the palate throughout, all the way to its appetizingly briny, seaweed-tinged finish. Perhaps the definitive aperitif whisky.
(4th Quarter 2004 Issue-Vol. 13#4)

JamesW
01-16-2009, 05:51
Just wanted to add that I just noticed that the Clynelish 14 won Double Gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2008.

Gov
01-17-2009, 19:58
Old Forrester Signature

JamesW
01-22-2009, 09:14
Picked up a bottle of Ardberg Uigedail. Looking forward to this as I really love the 10yr.

JamesW
02-03-2009, 20:09
Picked up a Laphroaig QC, Lagavulin 16, and Ardberg 10.

The Boozer
02-03-2009, 23:37
JamesW
Picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr yesterday for $41 which is the standard price in MI. What was so good about it is that it included a free sample of the HP 18yr 50ml bottle with it. The 18yr goes for about $100 a bottle here. I liked so much I picked up a second bottle. HP is my favorite single malt and at #40, a bargain compared to most of the other single malts.
TJ

PAspirit1
02-04-2009, 04:29
Picked up a Laphroaig QC, Lagavulin 16, and Ardberg 10.

Talisker is my next single malt purchase but I am interested Laph QC and 10. They are reasonably priced around here ar $40. Well, reasonable for a single malt.

Tennessee Dave
02-04-2009, 09:06
Picked up the HP 18yo today. Looking forward to trying this one. Did see a Macallan 18 yo sherry finished for $185. Seemed to be a bit high to me. What do you think?

The Boozer
02-04-2009, 09:20
Picked up the HP 18yo today. Looking forward to trying this one. Did see a Macallan 18 yo sherry finished for $185. Seemed to be a bit high to me. What do you think?

I'm envious. Plan to save pennies and buy a bottle in a couple of months. PLease post some tastings on the HP 18yr.
TJ

Megawatt
02-04-2009, 10:50
JamesW
Picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr yesterday for $41 which is the standard price in MI. What was so good about it is that it included a free sample of the HP 18yr 50ml bottle with it. The 18yr goes for about $100 a bottle here. I liked so much I picked up a second bottle. HP is my favorite single malt and at #40, a bargain compared to most of the other single malts.
TJ

I got that same gift pack, though it cost me $54. Highland Park 12 is just fantastic. Haven't tried the 18 yet...maybe this weekend...

The Boozer
02-04-2009, 11:56
I got that same gift pack, though it cost me $54. Highland Park 12 is just fantastic. Haven't tried the 18 yet...maybe this weekend...

Canada dollars or US dollars? - don't remember what the exchange rate is. It changes so much I can never keep track.
TJ

JamesW
02-04-2009, 12:01
JamesW
TJ

The HP12 is an outstanding value. The 18 is very smooth and a wonderful dram but the price has gone up so much in the last 6 months that I fear I won't be buying it again sometime soon ($89).

JamesW
02-04-2009, 12:03
Talisker is my next single malt purchase but I am interested Laph QC and 10. They are reasonably priced around here ar $40. Well, reasonable for a single malt.

Grab'em if you can. The QC was $62, the Aredberg 10 was $55 (on sale from $65) and the Talisker 10 usually runs around $52 in my parts.

The Talisker is really great scotch in my books. The 18 yr is really nice but pricey @ $75.

Gov
02-05-2009, 18:59
The Balvenie 10yr FR, Powers NAS and Woodford Reserve

Megawatt
02-08-2009, 09:59
I just ordered Yamazaki 12 Japanese single malt. It is 28% off from the LCBO Online Vintages selection. I hope it's good!

AVB
02-08-2009, 10:26
I did a little write up of it here ( http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44922) if you want to read it.

I just ordered Yamazaki 12 Japanese single malt. It is 28% off from the LCBO Online Vintages selection. I hope it's good!

Gov
02-08-2009, 22:50

Its more than good! It is fantastic!

PAspirit1
02-15-2009, 15:20
Johnnie Black and Dickel #12. Exotic? No, but these two bottles are truley dangerously drinkable for me.

dean_martin
02-16-2009, 20:49
Found the Ardbeg 10yo on sale for 39.99 at Richey's East in P'cola, FL. They had Talisker 10yo also, but it didn't have a price on it. The guy at the counter couldn't find a price for it so he let me have it for the same sale price as the Ardbeg. The last store I saw it in had the Talisker for 63.99 so I was happy. I have two open bottles of Scotch. I need to wait a while before I open the 2 new ones but the anticipation is getting the better of me.

PAspirit1
02-17-2009, 07:46
Found the Ardbeg 10yo on sale for 39.99 at Richey's East in P'cola, FL. They had Talisker 10yo also, but it didn't have a price on it. The guy at the counter couldn't find a price for it so he let me have it for the same sale price as the Ardbeg. The last store I saw it in had the Talisker for 63.99 so I was happy. I have two open bottles of Scotch. I need to wait a while before I open the 2 new ones but the anticipation is getting the better of me.

I remember seeing Talisker 10 for around $40 a while back. I havent seen it for under $50 since then and the store near me had it for 58$ last weekend.

In the movie Charlie Wilsons War there is a scene with Talisker which is practically a 30 second commercial for it. I selfishly thought to myself that this is going to nudge the price up a little.

AVB
02-17-2009, 08:01
Talisker was on sale in PA over the holidays at $44 or $45 ($49.99 norm). I try to get mine at Schneider's in DC when I'm down that way. It was $40 there the last few times I was in.

$40 for the Ardbeg is damn good though.

dean_martin
02-17-2009, 09:31
Talisker was on sale in PA over the holidays at $44 or $45 ($49.99 norm). I try to get mine at Schneider's in DC when I'm down that way. It was $40 there the last few times I was in.

$40 for the Ardbeg is damn good though.

the Ardbeg was on my original to-try list until I saw the prices. I was pleasantly surprised to find it on sale. Pensacola has become my mecca for bourbon and scotch. I've been to 3 Richey's East locations and 3 other quality package stores usually hitting 3 or 4 in one trip. I haven't even made it to the stores near the Naval Air Base yet.

Megawatt
03-08-2009, 16:04
Picked up anCnoc 12 today. Pretty decent, but different. Light, mild, dry. Reminds me a bit of Scapa 14.

Squash
03-08-2009, 22:07
I picked up an Aberlour 10 based on reviews here and elsewhere.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's a single malt in the mid $30's, so I'm hopeful.

Do any of you have experience with this one?

Megawatt
03-09-2009, 05:51
I picked up an Aberlour 10 based on reviews here and elsewhere.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's a single malt in the mid $30's, so I'm hopeful.

Do any of you have experience with this one?

Yeah, it's great for the money if you like sherried malts. Quite rich and tasty.

ggilbertva
03-09-2009, 21:01
My niece, who lives in the UK, was kind enough to bring a bottle of Balvenie Signature, Batch #1.

Lost Pollito
03-09-2009, 21:10
Can't claim purchase, but I was able to open and taste the new pc7 lastnight. What a super peat treat. Lots of iodine and sea salt mixed with a massive amount of smoke and fruit/ honey /cinnamon. Fantastic.

DeanSheen
04-06-2009, 13:52
2 x Red Breast duty free.

I have 2 more coming on Wed, lots of out of town visitors for the holidays.

With the currency and the discount it's half price.

PAspirit1
04-10-2009, 15:08
I would have liked to pick up something a little more exciting but I instead bought for the first time Chivas 12. I kept missing this one for quite awhile because it is in the same price range as JW Black. I'm having my second pour already and it is nice stuff - no complaints.

augustgarage
04-10-2009, 17:01
2 x Red Breast duty free.

I have 2 more coming on Wed, lots of out of town visitors for the holidays.

With the currency and the discount it's half price.

12yo, right? Have you managed to get ahold of some 15yo to compare yet? I'd be interested in your tasting notes when/if you do.

hectic1
04-12-2009, 08:03
Picked up a bottle of Jameson 12 year and Pussers Navy Rum today.

Tried the Pusser's and it still can't top Sailor Jerry...Jerry is smoother and has better flavor...oh, and it is also 92 proof! :grin:

Megawatt
04-13-2009, 18:46
Forty Creek Barrel Select. It is reinforcing my opinion that any subtlties of flavour are lost beneath the essense of a low-grade sherry cask. Not bad but not even in my top ten of Canadian whiskies.

DeanSheen
04-20-2009, 09:38
12yo, right? Have you managed to get ahold of some 15yo to compare yet? I'd be interested in your tasting notes when/if you do.

I'm pretty sure the 15 was a one time only release.

JamesW
04-20-2009, 13:08
I would have liked to pick up something a little more exciting but I instead bought for the first time Chivas 12. I kept missing this one for quite awhile because it is in the same price range as JW Black. I'm having my second pour already and it is nice stuff - no complaints.

I agree with you that the Chivas is surprisingly decent. I bought a bottle duty free a while back and shunned opening it for nearly a year because I thoroughly expected to dislike it and I figured I'd gift it to someone if the occasion arose. I found it had a very pleasant smoke and peat profile.

PAspirit1
04-24-2009, 19:02
I agree with you that the Chivas is surprisingly decent. I bought a bottle duty free a while back and shunned opening it for nearly a year because I thoroughly expected to dislike it and I figured I'd gift it to someone if the occasion arose. I found it had a very pleasant smoke and peat profile.

I have been enjoying this one. The bottle is almost gone. Tonight there is a little more sweetness.

boss302
04-25-2009, 00:21
Glenmorangie 10-year Original-- in a 1.00L bottle!

33% more scotch for only $5 more?!? Bring it on!!!!!

PAspirit1
05-03-2009, 17:46
I was considering several Islays but I went finally with Talisker 10. Unlike CB P. Monster, Talisker is smokey throughout. It is excellent and very dry at the finish.

I think I will pick up another Scotch, one that is a little more mild like HP 12 or Caol Isla 12, to serve as a lead in.

Megawatt
05-04-2009, 06:05
Finally picked up Cragganmore 12. Very nice, fresh, light-bodied with lots of fruit and tangy malt flavour.

PAspirit1
05-31-2009, 06:36
I picked up a gigantic 1.75 L of Glenfiddich 12. I had been intending to buy Glenlivet 12 but was leaning towards Glenmorangie Original after reading this months Whiskey mag. But this was on sale for $50 after tax and at that price its Glenfiddich for all my friends.

Also, for PA people, there is this and also some lower end single malts on closeout. Bowmore legend, Auchentoshan Classic and I think Speyburn 10.

EricABQ
07-17-2009, 12:19
A Costco here in Albuquerque has Glenlivet 18 for 52.99, so I picked one up. The last time they carried this they priced it at $66, so it was a nice price reduction.

Megawatt
07-17-2009, 21:11
A Costco here in Albuquerque has Glenlivet 18 for 52.99, so I picked one up. The last time they carried this they priced it at $66, so it was a nice price reduction.

If you lived in Canada you might appreciate how ridiculous this statement sounds. Booze at Costco, for one thing, and The Glenlivet 18 for $52.99, for another. I think it's about $92 in these parts.

EricABQ
07-17-2009, 21:49
If you lived in Canada you might appreciate how ridiculous this statement sounds. Booze at Costco, for one thing, and The Glenlivet 18 for $52.99, for another. I think it's about $92 in these parts.

Oh, believe me, I appreciate living in a state without socialist liquor control. But, that price was pretty low even for here.

TomH
07-22-2009, 01:20
Just got back from a week in Cancun and brought back 4 bottles from Duty Free. On my way out of the states, I almost bought 2 JW Gold bottles for $58 each, but decided the savings wasn't worth carrying them out and back. However when we stopped at the 2nd duty free store (my wife was looking at perfumes), they had the 21 year old Chivas for $75 per bottle (when you bought 2) which I could not pass up at that price.

On the return, the Mexican Duty Free shop had the JW Gold even cheaper ($55 per bottle when you bought 2), which I took as a sign that I should buy a couple.

Tom

ILLfarmboy
08-02-2009, 16:57
in the "Richard Paterson Teaches Us a Trick" Dalmore 12 was mentioned so when I was out today I looked for some (I've only got about a third of a bottle left). I didn't see any but I snagged a bottle of HP 12 for 36 dollars and change.

callmeox
08-02-2009, 18:08
in the "Richard Paterson Teaches Us a Trick" Dalmore 12 was mentioned so when I was out today I looked for some (I've only got about a third of a bottle left). I didn't see any but I snagged a bottle of HP 12 for 36 dollars and change.

The Dalmore 12 that we are familiar with was discontinued to make way for their new line. According to past posts by John, the pipeline is slowly filling with the new product.

ILLfarmboy
08-02-2009, 18:43
The Dalmore 12 that we are familiar with was discontinued to make way for their new line. According to past posts by John, the pipeline is slowly filling with the new product.

I remember now. I guess that goes to show you how often I buy scotch, which is not that often.

How does the newer stuff compare to the older?

callmeox
08-02-2009, 18:57
The prior Dalmore 12 is the only bottle of scotch that I own and it was a gift from a friend who cleaned out the local stores when Ohio put it on clearance. It is one of the few malts that I can stomach.

I've not seen the new bottling on the shelf here yet.

TBoner
08-02-2009, 20:06
The new bottling is 80 proof instead of 86, is 50:50 bourbon cask:sherry cask instead of 70:30, and is $8-12 more than the old one everywhere in town. All three factors mean a pass for me.

Beam loses a product and it gets watered down and more expensive. The apocalypse is nigh.

Regards,
Tim

ILLfarmboy
08-02-2009, 21:16
The new bottling is 80 proof instead of 86, is 50:50 bourbon cask:sherry cask instead of 70:30, and is $8-12 more than the old one everywhere in town. All three factors mean a pass for me.

Beam loses a product and it gets watered down and more expensive. The apocalypse is nigh.

Regards,
Tim

Well, that figures, watered down and over sherried.

I guess maybe I should make it a point to really enjoy the last of this bottle.

Yes, that's a cork from a bottle of Baby Saz. It is the second bottle of Dalmore 12 that I've had cork issues with, it broke and tore when I went to uncork it. I was going to post about it but the pics of the cork didn't turn out. Whatever the problem was, it was like the corks wanted to glue themselves to the glass. They could have just fixed that problem and kept the juice the same.

ggilbertva
08-03-2009, 18:24
While I didn't purchase it, a relative currently living in the U.K. sent me a small bottle of Balblair 97.

Megawatt
08-06-2009, 16:01
While I didn't purchase it, a relative currently living in the U.K. sent me a small bottle of Balblair 97.

How is it? I saw it here for around $80.

Tennessee Dave
08-06-2009, 18:54
My beautiful bride gifted me a bottle of MaCallan 18 upon returning from a trip to Florida. This really is fabulous stuff!:shocked:

Megawatt
08-07-2009, 21:19
My beautiful bride gifted me a bottle of MaCallan 18 upon returning from a trip to Florida. This really is fabulous stuff!:shocked:

Lucky! Judging by how good the 12 is, I can imagine the 18 being quite fantastic.

ebo
08-08-2009, 18:54
Lucky! Judging by how good the 12 is, I can imagine the 18 being quite fantastic.
Macallan 18 ia a great whisky. I can't afford to drink it very often, but it sure is good.

unclebunk
08-15-2009, 14:29
Macallan 18 ia a great whisky. I can't afford to drink it very often, but it sure is good.

That's the problem with purchasing scotch--it's too stinking expensive. I really have to stop and consider what I'm doing when I ponder purchasing a nice bottle of bourbon for more than $40. But when it comes to scotch, $40 just about gets you through the door to the good stuff. I've been living on a fairly steady diet of Highland Park 12 at $35 a bottle and would kill to pick up the HP 18 but can't stomach the $100 price tag, for which I can just about buy three bottles of the HP 12. Maybe I'll get lucky on my upcoming birthday and all my friends will pitch in to get me the HP 18--hint, hint.

I did get lucky though not long ago when I snagged a Lagavulin 16 for $55 ($90 at Binny's!), Talisker 10 for $51 and an Ardbeg 10 for $43. Hey, a guy could go broke saving money on those bargains!

AVB
08-15-2009, 20:49
$68 plus shipping for HP 18 here (http://www.astorwines.com/SearchResultsSingle.aspx?p=2&search=01194&searchtype=Contains). Might be worth it if you buy two.

DeanSheen
08-15-2009, 22:08
Redbreast x 2
Green Spot x 2

http://chwisgi.com/wp-content/uploads/green-spot.jpg

AVB
08-15-2009, 22:47
The Redbreast you can get here, the Greenspot you can't so I hope you didn't get too hard for the shipping. I don't know what Mitchell does to the Redbreast they buy to improve it so much but I'm glad that they do.

DeanSheen
08-15-2009, 23:10
The Redbreast you can get here, the Greenspot you can't so I hope you didn't get too hard for the shipping. I don't know what Mitchell does to the Redbreast they buy to improve it so much but I'm glad that they do.

The RedBreast I got duty free so it was cheaper than buying in Ohio.

The GreenSpot came from Canada so I didnt have to pay for shipping, all of them were delivered by a relative.

Lost Pollito
08-15-2009, 23:29
The RedBreast I got duty free so it was cheaper than buying in Ohio.

The GreenSpot came from Canada so I didnt have to pay for shipping, all of them were delivered by a relative.
Very nice score. Hope you enjoy them.

unclebunk
08-16-2009, 09:21
$68 plus shipping for HP 18 here (http://www.astorwines.com/SearchResultsSingle.aspx?p=2&search=01194&searchtype=Contains). Might be worth it if you buy two.

Thanks very much for the tip. That seems like a good deal, particularly if you buy two as you suggested. Will do so tomorrow.

Gov
08-16-2009, 12:52
I just bought a bottle of HP18 in the airport in Montego Bay Jamaica for $60 duty free!!

unclebunk
08-16-2009, 14:17
I just bought a bottle of HP18 in the airport in Montego Bay Jamaica for $60 duty free!!

Are you trying to make me cry?? That's a steal!!

Gov
08-16-2009, 19:00
Are you trying to make me cry?? That's a steal!!

Yeah, it was. I should have bought two! :grin:

JamesW
08-16-2009, 20:29
Picked up 2 x Balvenie Double Wood for 32.99 at duty free coming back from Canada. The bottles were mis-priced as some had 39.95 like the sticker on the shelf saidbut a few others were priced at the 10yr old pricing. First I grabbed one and then the wife said in the car to get another when I told her how good a price it was. The bottle sells for >$50 in my parts usually.

Also saw an Ardberg 10 for 42.99 in NH. Usually priced at $60 now here in MA. I have one open and one in the bunker so I passed as I make it to NH often.

unclebunk
08-17-2009, 07:59
Picked up 2 x Balvenie Double Wood for 32.99 at duty free coming back from Canada. The bottles were mis-priced as some had 39.95 like the sticker on the shelf saidbut a few others were priced at the 10yr old pricing.

Wow. That's a good deal! I stumbled across a few bottles of the now discontinued Balvenie 10 Founders Reserve for $34 each and bought all three, as I really enjoy that one and was disappointed that Balvenie killed it off. The DoubleWood, another one of my favorite Speysides, was available for a few bucks more, but that's widely available and often on sale around here, so I went with the Founders Reserve instead.

unclebunk
08-17-2009, 08:12
First I grabbed one and then the wife said in the car to get another when I told her how good a price it was.

Man, I must have married the wrong woman! You must be like David Copperfield to have that kind of magic. When I point out what a good deal a certain whiskey is to my wife with the hope of purchasing more than one bottle, I usually do so while covering my groin for protection. :grin: Then the tired old rant of "I just don't see why you need to have fifty bottles of whiskey in the house" begins (as if all fifty plus bottles are identical) and my eyes glaze over, and we're back to that seemingly endless discussion that each one is part of a "collection," etc. I don't get it in the ear often but it sure does put a damper on my enthusiasm for this hobby from time to time.

JamesW
08-17-2009, 10:08
Man, I must have married the wrong woman! You must be like David Copperfield to have that kind of magic. When I point out what a good deal a certain whiskey is to my wife with the hope of purchasing more than one bottle, I usually do so while covering my groin for protection. :grin: Then the tired old rant of "I just don't see why you need to have fifty bottles of whiskey in the house" begins (as if all fifty plus bottles are identical) and my eyes glaze over, and we're back to that seemingly endless discussion that each one is part of a "collection," etc. I don't get it in the ear often but it sure does put a damper on my enthusiasm for this hobby from time to time.

Yeah, my wife usually isn't easy going about anything else in my life but for some reason she hasn't got a problem with my purchases of late. I'm not sure she knows how many bottles I have in the semi-hidden bunker though....:grin:

To top it off, she's the one that went back into the duty free shop to get the other bottle!

AVB
08-20-2009, 12:08
Just picked up a Kilkerran distilled at the new Glengyle distillery. Don't know if I'll continue with getting the set though.

unclebunk
08-20-2009, 13:02
Finally snagged my first bottle of Highland Park 18 today! I managed to find an older bottle for $75, which still ain't cheap but it beats the hell out of the $90-$100 price tag that I've been seeing everywhere else. They also had Lagavulin 16 (my favorite of all) for $55 and Clynelish 14 for $35, so I grabbed them too so the HP could have so company on the way home. I hate to drop that kind of dough all at once but Illinois will be seeing a MAJOR tax hike on booze as of Sept. 1st ($2 per 750ml bottle plus whatever the retailer decides to increase the cost--perhaps another $2 or $3 per bottle), so I pulled the trigger to save a little money in the long run.

Can't wait to do some sampling tonight!

JamesW
08-29-2009, 22:18
Finally snagged my first bottle of Highland Park 18 today! I managed to find an older bottle for $75, which still ain't cheap but it beats the hell out of the $90-$100 price tag that I've been seeing everywhere else. They also had Lagavulin 16 (my favorite of all) for $55 and Clynelish 14 for $35, so I grabbed them too so the HP could have so company on the way home. I hate to drop that kind of dough all at once but Illinois will be seeing a MAJOR tax hike on booze as of Sept. 1st ($2 per 750ml bottle plus whatever the retailer decides to increase the cost--perhaps another $2 or $3 per bottle), so I pulled the trigger to save a little money in the long run.

Can't wait to do some sampling tonight!

I really love the 18 but I have to say that sometimes the 12 just has more ooomph for me. The 18 is almost too smooth and laid back.

TomH
08-30-2009, 10:09
The new owner of a local liquor store decided that he needed to get rid of some of the inventory that had been sitting around forever so he put all of his Glenhaven bottlings on sale for 50% off. Since these had all been bottled in the 1994-1996 timeframe and had not been re-priced since they were put on the shelves there were some real bargains that I could not pass up.

The 2 biggest highlights for me were a 20 YO Highland Park at $55 and a 23 YO Dalmore at $70.

Tom

unclebunk
08-30-2009, 10:59
The new owner of a local liquor store decided that he needed to get rid of some of the inventory that had been sitting around forever so he put all of his Glenhaven bottlings on sale for 50% off. Since these had all been bottled in the 1994-1996 timeframe and had not been re-priced since they were put on the shelves there were some real bargains that I could not pass up.

The 2 biggest highlights for me were a 20 YO Highland Park at $55 and a 23 YO Dalmore at $70.

Tom

Awesome score, Tom! Awesome! Those are AMAZING deals. Why doesn't this stuff ever happen to me?

smokinjoe
08-30-2009, 20:12
Awesome score, Tom! Awesome! Those are AMAZING deals. Why doesn't this stuff ever happen to me?

It did happen to you, Uncle!! Or, have you forgotten the (possible/probable) SW Pappy 15's at $37, and the slope shouldered OCPR's you stumbled on a couple of months ago??!! :D Even, better scores, IMO!!

Tom's pickups do sound good, though...;)

unclebunk
08-31-2009, 02:04
It did happen to you, Uncle!! Or, have you forgotten the (possible/probable) SW Pappy 15's at $37, and the slope shouldered OCPR's you stumbled on a couple of months ago??!! :D Even, better scores, IMO!! Tom's pickups do sound good, though...;)

Yes. You're right about the Pappy's at $37 and the OCPR's. I was just rearranging bottles the other day to make some room in my storage cabinet and was pleased to discover that I still have five Pappy 15's left when I thought only three remained. Life's good in that regard but I really need to belly up to the bar and start thinning out the herd. I've got enough juice to last me several years now, even if I have 1-2 pours per night four or five nights a week. It won't save my liver but it may save my head from my wife. :smiley_acbt:

bigtoys
10-01-2009, 06:47
after sampling it from a gentleman in a formal (tuxedo look) kilt at Chicago Gourmet last weekend. Good old Binny's didn't have it in stock in Highland Park, but had it transferred in a couple of days. Another reason they beat Sam's up here (Sam's closed HP store a couple of weeks ago--will miss the fresh blue cheese stuffed olives for 'tinis, however).

ACDetroit
10-13-2009, 16:49
I wish I knew more about SMS some times. I found a Talisker 16 on the shelf the other day and can not seem to find any info on it now! Does anyone know if this is a good dram? It was $100.

Thanks,

Tony

DeanSheen
10-13-2009, 17:10
On the same track as Tony here. I'm going to Canada, I love Red Breast and Green Spot. Thinking I may add this to the bunker. Any thoughts?

MAGILLIGAN PURE POT STILL IRISH SINGLE MALT

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=924340

unclebunk
10-13-2009, 17:31
I wish I knew more about SMS some times. I found a Talisker 16 on the shelf the other day and can not seem to find any info on it now! Does anyone know if this is a good dram? It was $100.
Tony

Well, I'm no expert by any means, but I've done a lot of research and have built up a reasonably substantial collection of SMS. Like bourbon, different qualities of SMS appeal to different drinkers, but of all the bottles I've sampled, the Lagavulin 16 is among the very best--I'm talking top 3 in my book. It has enough smokiness and peat to satisfy the lover of Islay malts, but is superbly balanced by a malty sweetness that is almost unparalleled in my experience. Only Highland Park 18 has hit me the same way--just amazingly balanced and so viscuous that you could eat it with a spoon. Unfortunately, for those of us on a budget, it's quite expensive. I happened upon a major score and was able to snag a few bottles for $55 (!) but $90-$95 is the norm around here. See if you can try some before buying. I went into a local liquor store and told the guy I was interested in buying some but couldn't afford the asking price for something I might not like, and he invited me into his office for a sample. It never hurts to ask. Hope this was helpful.
Hank

Solomon2
10-22-2009, 17:27
Laphroaig 10yr Cask Strength, $54/750ml in MC. 'Cause MC is all out of ETL. I wonder where it went - it was on sale last month!

chouffe62
10-22-2009, 22:33
A Glenfarclas 1968 vintage bottled in 2004, and a Duncan Taylor 40 year old 1965 vintage that was distilled at Invergordon. The DT is the most amazing grain whisky I have ever had!

kateric
10-23-2009, 12:00
Finally found a bottle of Balvenie Madeira locally... curious to compare it to my Edradour Madeira from a couple of years ago.

The Boozer
11-04-2009, 14:30
Glenmorangie gift pack - 4 100ml bottles of Original, Lasanta, Quinta Ruban & Nectar D'or for $29.99. Actually bought 2 packs - looking foward to trying all the bottles over the hoidays.
TJ

The Boozer
11-15-2009, 20:04
I've been living on a fairly steady diet of Highland Park 12 at $35 a bottle and would kill to pick up the HP 18 but can't stomach the $100 price tag, for which I can just about buy three bottles of the HP 12.....did get lucky though not long ago when I snagged a Lagavulin 16 for $55 ($90 at Binny's!), Talisker 10 for $51 and an Ardbeg 10 for $43.

Agree 100% on the HP12 v HP18. Tried enough of the 50ml pours to know that while the HP18 is very good, its not worth the $116 OTD price tag around here. Can still get HP12 for $45/bottle which includes the 50ml gift bottle of HP18. Lagavulin 16 is $88 a bottle in MI so not on the "to buy list". Ardbeg 10 yr has dropped $20 in price - $69.95 to $49.95 in the past six months. Don't know why but don't care and needless to say picked up a couple of bottles. Today got a bottle of Macallan cask strength. This will also be a frequent holiday pour.
TJ

AVB
11-16-2009, 06:37
Picked up a Glen Flagler 1973 the other day.

http://www.sunband-designs.com/AVB/Drinks/Scotch/Glen%20Flagler%201973.JPG

unclebunk
11-16-2009, 08:07
Agree 100% on the HP12 v HP18. Tried enough of the 50ml pours to know that while the HP18 is very good, its not worth the $116 OTD price tag around here. Can still get HP12 for $45/bottle which includes the 50ml gift bottle of HP18. Lagavulin 16 is $88 a bottle in MI so not on the "to buy list". Ardbeg 10 yr has dropped $20 in price - $69.95 to $49.95 in the past six months. Don't know why but don't care and needless to say picked up a couple of bottles. Today got a bottle of Macallan cask strength. This will also be a frequent holiday pour.
TJ

Finally got a deal on the HP18 which came to $78 with tax. It was a semi-dusty with an old price tag on it. Sadly, with the new Illinois tax increase on alcohol which went into effect on Sept. 1st, my stand-by HP12 jumped from $35 to $42.:hot: Still good value at that price but a bummer just the same. I'll have to keep a lookout for the HP12 that comes with the little HP18 50ml as a bonus, as I'd like to compare the current HP18 with my bottle from a few years ago. Man, that's a great thing when something like Ardbeg 10 drops in price by $20! Let me know what you think of the Macallan Cask Strength. I spied a bottle recently for $60 and I'm guessing it's been sitting on the shelf a few years waiting for a nice home.

unclebunk
11-16-2009, 08:10
That 1973 Glen Flagler sures looks awesome. And handsomely packaged too! I'm guessing that's a "special occasion" bottle for you but I'm interested to know what you think of it when you finally crack it open. Thanks for the picture, AVB.

greenman
11-16-2009, 16:40
got a bottle of Glenmorangie Necto D' or, the wife and I had a drink of it, very tasty, dont know all the tasting review language, just know my nose liked it, my mouth and tongue really enjoyed it, and the throat savored it.

unclebunk
11-17-2009, 20:18
Just about to crack open my bottle of Sheep Dip. Richard Paterson, do your stuff. He's a true Master Blender, so I'm expecting a tasty pour.

ThomasH
11-18-2009, 17:21
Got a 200ml Dewars 3 bottle set that contains a 12yr., 18yr. and Signature. Also purchased a 1L of Black Grouse. These were purchased at Detroit and Windsor duty free respectively this past weekend!

Thomas

dgonano
11-19-2009, 17:45
Picked up an Inverleven, Braes of Glenlivet and a Mosstowie..all Duncan Taylor bottlings.

The Boozer
11-19-2009, 23:54
Caol Ila 18 yr. Its been discontinued so I feel pretty lucky to have pick it up. Was actually pretty shocked to see it at the party store given it was de-listed about 6-8 months ago from the State list.
TJ

unclebunk
11-20-2009, 07:16
Caol Ila 18 yr. Its been discontinued so I feel pretty lucky to have pick it up. Was actually pretty shocked to see it at the party store given it was de-listed about 6-8 months ago from the State list.
TJ

Nice score, Boozer. What did you pay for that, if you don't mind my asking? And how does it taste compared to the younger expressions? I've really enjoyed my bottle of Caol Ila 12 and hadn't realized the stuff was as good as it is until I broke down and bought a bottle. Caol Ila seems to get less attention and fewer positive reviews than their more famous Islay neighbors, but I think it's top notch whisky. It was Lost Pollito who got me thinking I should buy a bottle and he was certainly right about its quality.

AVB
11-20-2009, 07:32
I did a review of the 18 back in 2005 if you want to read it (http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/topic/11303-caol-ila-18yo-islay-scotch/)

unclebunk
11-20-2009, 08:24
I did a review of the 18 back in 2005 if you want to read it (http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/topic/11303-caol-ila-18yo-islay-scotch/)

Thanks for the link to the review. I'm now interested in checking out the CI 18 but didn't see it on the Binny's web site. Has it been discontinued or is it simply not widely available? Another reviewer mentioned that Caol Ila has many of the characteristics found in other Islays (peat, smoke, seaweed, etc.) but is more "nuanced," making it somewhat easier to tease out the various flavors and aromas. I think that that is quite true, as it is certainly harder for me to discern what lies beneath the peat and smoke in Laphroaig and Ardbeg than Caol Ila. In that regard, you could make the case that Caol Ila is more balanced than those two, though I love them all now.

AVB
11-20-2009, 08:42
I don't know if it has been discontinued or they don't have any 18 yo product at the moment but it is getting much harder to find. It is still listed on the website so maybe it really is just a product shortage.

The Boozer
11-20-2009, 11:03
Another reviewer mentioned that Caol Ila has many of the characteristics found in other Islays (peat, smoke, seaweed, etc.) but is more "nuanced," making it somewhat easier to tease out the various flavors and aromas. I think that that is quite true, as it is certainly harder for me to discern what lies beneath the peat and smoke in Laphroaig and Ardbeg than Caol Ila. In that regard, you could make the case that Caol Ila is more balanced than those two, though I love them all now.

About $65 + tax, which I recall was the State min price before MI dropped it from their list.

As far as taste, you nailed it right on the head. Caol Ila is the most balanced of the Islay SMS. While I love the so called "big 3" I also have a hard time getting to the underlying flavors past all the smoke and peat. Caol Ila 12 and 18 are like chocolate covered salty pretzels, sweetness and salty working together on the palate. I would say that CI 12 tends to be more towards briny/salt in taste whereas CI 18 tends to be more cocoa/sweetness. Both are great and highly recommend. Good review AVB.

As a side note the LCC added a Caol Ila 10 yr cask strength and Caol Ila Distiller's Edition to the State list. Have an order in the the 10 yr CS, its 131.6 proof.
TJ

JamesW
11-20-2009, 12:32
I'm very curious now about the 18 yr CI after reading AVB's review.
The 12 yr never really did it for me though. I've always found it to be decent but a bit too 'thin' for my tastes. I'd spend the extra 5-10 and get Laga 16. However I just saw the CI 18 for $65 online and am very tempted....

The Boozer
11-20-2009, 13:45
I'm very curious now about the 18 yr CI after reading AVB's review.
The 12 yr never really did it for me though. I've always found it to be decent but a bit too 'thin' for my tastes. I'd spend the extra 5-10 and get Laga 16. However I just saw the CI 18 for $65 online and am very tempted....

I don't want to talk you out of anything but you may want to pass if you thought the CI 12 was "thin". I found the flavors in CI 18 to be more subtle than in the 12 yr. For lack of better vocabulary, I would say that the 18 yr is a "gentler" Islay. BTW Laga 16 is $87 + 6% tax in MI while Laph and Ard 10 are both $49.99. Guess what's not in my liquor cabinet. TJ

JamesW
11-20-2009, 14:53
I don't want to talk you out of anything but you may want to pass if you thought the CI 12 was "thin". I found the flavors in CI 18 to be more subtle than in the 12 yr. For lack of better vocabulary, I would say that the 18 yr is a "gentler" Islay. BTW Laga 16 is $87 + 6% tax in MI while Laph and Ard 10 are both $49.99. Guess what's not in my liquor cabinet. TJ

Ouch! I can get Laga 16 regularly for $60 and sometimes even low 50's. Ardberg 10 regularly goes for low $40's near me as well.

on the side...one of my favorites is the non-Islay, island of Skye's Talisker 18. Great balance of honey-smoke, salty brine and with a spicy chili-pepper finish. But that has really shot up in price lately too. I can still get it though for around $70 with the 10 yr for around $50, however the 10 year hasn't been as good of late.

ama
11-22-2009, 01:14
About $65 + tax, which I recall was the State min price before MI dropped it from their list.

As far as taste, you nailed it right on the head. Caol Ila is the most balanced of the Islay SMS. While I love the so called "big 3" I also have a hard time getting to the underlying flavors past all the smoke and peat. Caol Ila 12 and 18 are like chocolate covered salty pretzels, sweetness and salty working together on the palate. I would say that CI 12 tends to be more towards briny/salt in taste whereas CI 18 tends to be more cocoa/sweetness. Both are great and highly recommend. Good review AVB.

As a side note the LCC added a Caol Ila 10 yr cask strength and Caol Ila Distiller's Edition to the State list. Have an order in the the 10 yr CS, its 131.6 proof.
TJ

The CI 10 CS is a completely different whisky. Its unpeated!

unclebunk
11-22-2009, 09:08

If you scroll back in time, you'll see posts in which I bashed Ardbeg 10 for being "thin," though chock full of flavor. I remember the first time I poured some in a Glencairn glass and thinking that it looked like diluted pee. My immediate reaction was, "I hope this has way more body than it appears to have." Sadly, it didn't. It seemed totally lacking and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Don't get me wrong, I've grown to love the intensity of the flavor and aroma, and it has an amazingly long finish, but I've always thought it would be among the top three or four affordable SMS's if they'd just up the malt quotient. I didn't have the same feeling with the CI 12, which I find has a nice mouth-feel (I hate that term but it works).

Ouch! I can get Laga 16 regularly for $60 and sometimes even low 50's. Ardberg 10 regularly goes for low $40's near me as well.

Want to cry! Lagavulin 16 is $90-$95 everywhere around here (just check Binny's site) and Ardbeg 10 is generally $60, though I can still score semi-dusties of each for much less if I really hunt. I'm going to definitely check out the Caol Ila 18 after reading "Caol Ila 12 and 18 are like chocolate covered salty pretzels, sweetness and salty working together on the palate. I would say that CI 12 tends to be more towards briny/salt in taste whereas CI 18 tends to be more cocoa/sweetness." Who could resist?:grin:

ILLfarmboy
11-24-2009, 16:12
I went gift set hunting today. Boy, pickin's are slim. I know I was a little late hitting all the stores, but damn! Everyone I talked to said the same thing, the holiday gift sets have been trimed back this year. The economy perhaps? I saw only one bourbon set, the WT101 with a flask, that was it.

Anyhow, at the last store I picked up a Glenfiddich 12 set with a Glencairn type Glass and a Glenfidich 15 mini.

Lost Pollito
11-24-2009, 16:14
I went gift set hunting today. Boy, pickin's are slim. I know I was a little late hitting all the stores, but damn! Everyone I talked to said the same thing, the holiday gift sets have been trimed back this year. The economy perhaps? I saw only one bourbon set, the WT101 with a flask, that was it.

Anyhow, at the last store I picked up a Glenfiddich 12 set with a Glencairn type Glass and a Glenfidich 15 mini.
Tons in Chicago. Maybe to many gift sets for my liking.

emr454
11-25-2009, 14:30
Powers Gold Label Irish Whiskey. This is the first Irish whiskey I've tried that I like, although the only other one I've had was regular Bushmills.

unclebunk
11-25-2009, 14:52
Powers Gold Label Irish Whiskey. This is the first Irish whiskey I've tried that I like, although the only other one I've had was regular Bushmills.

I really like Powers Gold Label and Bushmills too. Try Tullamore Dew, which is in the same price range, and see what you think.

ILLfarmboy
11-25-2009, 16:43

I don't like Bushmill's White. It is thin on taste and spirty. In that way it reminds me of JWR. Powers gold is a good blend. For more taste step up to Jameson 12, Bushmill's 10 or the gold standard, Redbreast

emr454
11-25-2009, 17:25
I think Jameson will be my next Irish whiskey. I found it on sale in a gift pack at the newest liquor store in town. For the same price as a 750, I can get a 750 and 2 rocks glasses. Not a huge deal, but 2 free glasses are nice!

unclebunk
11-25-2009, 18:18
I don't like Bushmill's White. It is thin on taste and spirty. In that way it reminds me of JWR. Powers gold is a good blend. For more taste step up to Jameson 12, Bushmill's 10 or the gold standard, Redbreast

Bushmills is a bit thin but for the novice Irish whiskey drinker or someone on a budget it's a good place to start. It's certainly not anywhere near as good as Black Bush but when you're out on the town throwing back pints of Guinness and shots of Irish whiskey, it hits the spot without killing the wallet. All the others you mentioned are fantastic in my book, especially the Redbreast, but emr454 said that the Powers Gold was the first Irish whiskey he's tried that he actually liked, so I didn't think he'd want to risk going double the price on the really good stuff. Farmboy, have you tried the Irishman 70 recommended by Gillman in another thread? Great flavor and aroma with a beautiful balance of malt and pot still.

ILLfarmboy
11-25-2009, 20:26
Bushmills is a bit thin but for the novice Irish whiskey drinker or someone on a budget it's a good place to start. It's certainly not anywhere near as good as Black Bush but when you're out on the town throwing back pints of Guinness and shots of Irish whiskey, it hits the spot without killing the wallet. All the others you mentioned are fantastic in my book, especially the Redbreast, but emr454 said that the Powers Gold was the first Irish whiskey he's tried that he actually liked, so I didn't think he'd want to risk going double the price on the really good stuff. Farmboy, have you tried the Irishman 70 recommended by Gillman in another thread? Great flavor and aroma with a beautiful balance of malt and pot still.

Yeah, you're probably right.

The standard Jamesons in my opinion is way better than Busmills standard offering. I probably should have went with that as a recommendation.

No, I haven't tried the Irishman 70 yet. I'll get around to it one of these days. I think I may have seen some down in Peoria at a Friar Tucks.

Megawatt
12-02-2009, 16:47
An early Christmas present: Aberlour a'bunadh batch 23. Never tried this stuff before, so I'm quite excited.