PDA

View Full Version : Old Grand Dad 114?

DJCRLS
06-23-2008, 08:43
I was just wondering how many of you have tried old grand dad 114 and what your thoughts were. It's barrel proof, and inexpensive (for a barrel proof bourbon) so i wanted to give it a try. Also, i am planning on pickingup a bottle of evan williams single barrel. I love the regular black label and it's an incredible value for the quality your getting. Plus the single barrel is a TRUE single barrel, and i've heard good things. Just looking for some feedback on both ofthem. Thanks

TNbourbon
06-23-2008, 08:55
Although at one time barrel proof was around 114 -- and the original OGD 114 was at barrel strength for awhile -- the current issue (while a very old bottling might be) isn't barrel proof, just always 114 proof (it would be pretty hard to get every batch to come in at 114 without any dilution).
Old Grand-Dad is the one brand Jim Beam has treated gently from the portfolio it got from National Distillers back in '87. They've adopted the same grain bill (also used for Basil Hayden's), and the same bottlings -- 86, 100/BIB, and the 114.
The best are very rich with fruit (orange, in particular) and spice, and have great mouthfeel. For some reason, personally, I seem to like OGD bottles, at whichever proof, after they've been open awhile, and a couple of inches have been poured off the top.

dhineline
06-23-2008, 10:11
I am biased because OGD BIB is one of my favorites, but I really like the OGD 114. I introduced a friend of mine to the BIB a few weeks ago and he liked it so I broke out the 114 for him this weekend. He said he liked it, but he is a scotch/irish whiskey drinker and I think the strength was too much for him.

I like it for the same reason I like the BIB, it's taste profile is so different from my other bourbons. I have several bourbons that I wouldn't necessarily know what I was drinking if someone poured me a glass and didn't tell me what it was. However, I can take a sip of OGD and I know it is OGD.

You should definitely try it for the price, if you don't like it you haven't lost much, if you love it you have found a great bargain.

texascarl
06-23-2008, 12:22
I like the taste, esp. as a 'sunset watching' drink. It's also my 'backpacking' bourbon. 4 oz of 114 ~ 6 oz of 80 proof. I'd rather pack high proof whusk than cut the handle off my toothbrush to save 2 oz.

spun_cookie
06-23-2008, 12:25
The new version of the OGD 114 does not do it for me, but a couple weeks ago I opened a late 70s version (tax stamp) and it was great. As I understand all of teh "old label" versions are better..

nor02lei
06-23-2008, 13:39
I like it a lot, but it is an odd stile of bourbon to me. Dry, spicy and lots of citrus down under.

Leif

ratcheer
06-23-2008, 17:05
OGD 114 is, in my opinion, one of the very best bourbons you can get. It is just a bonus that it has not been very expensive. It has qualities and flavors that put it in a league with Blanton's.

Easily in my top ten, maybe even top five.

Tim

New2Whiskey
06-23-2008, 19:21
... I seem to like OGD bottles, at whichever proof, after they've been open awhile, and a couple of inches have been poured off the top.

I am new to whiskey and spirits. But what I've noticed from all my tastings is this very point. It seems to my taste that they always taste better after the few initial pours. Same goes for cognac and other spirits. Is there a reason for this?

Gillman
06-23-2008, 20:30
The likely answer is that certain compounds in the spirit become volatile after opening, and they lift off. Presumably, harsher-tasting ones leave first, or more of them than pleasing-tasting ones. At some point though the process must stabilize since many of us here have sampled decades-old bottlings which tasted pretty good. The average seal is not tight enough to prevent evaporation and a small amount of loss is usually evident after some decades, yet often the spirit tastes like it should. Maybe this occurs where the bottle is full so relatively few compounds (higher alcohols, aldehydes, etc.) leave in the result. Sometimes though the taste seems off after many years, and perhaps there the process continued for certain reasons long after it ceased all utility from the drinker's standpoint. Maybe the bottle was stored in a hot environment for example, hastening departure of liquid from the neck. There is perhaps a scientifically predictable sweet spot but most bourbon is consumed quickly and the question therefore is really academic. In practice, peoppe keep the bottles for a time, and that is enough to show improvement.

Gary

chilidawg7
06-23-2008, 21:07
OGD 114 is one of my favorites. I can enjoy it neat on a nice, cool evening or mixed with Cola when at a social function. At around $24 a bottle, it is definitely worth the price, IMO

wildcatdon
06-23-2008, 21:24
Count me in for liking this one a lot...Very good taste..You will enjoy it.

jburlowski
06-24-2008, 15:39
Simply one of the best... and a good value as well.

cas
06-26-2008, 06:52
I bought a bottle a few months ago and just don't care for it. It sits next to the Old Pogue on my shelf - a couple bottles that I'm not very excited about. Though I find it an interesting comparison sometimes to try them alongside of my favorites.
Craig

TBoner
06-26-2008, 12:12
The last local shop that sold this dirt cheap finally caught on: they've bumped the price above $20...to $21.99.:cool: Still the best damn value in all of whisk(e)y IMO.

shyster512
06-26-2008, 19:08
After reading this thread, I bought a bottle today and am now enjoying my first drink of it. With the small nose, I was surprised to find the big taste. I will drink a few more glasses before I make my final decision.

Isoflex
06-26-2008, 21:45
OGD 114 is one bourbon I always have on hand. I agree it is a GREAT value. I also like the Evan Williams vintage bottling. You can't go wrong with either one IMHO. When I tell people the proof of OGD 114 they always expect a really kick in the mouth and are usually surprised at how mellow it is for the proof. Good stuff.

shyster512
07-10-2008, 15:06
Having completed the 114 bottle, it is a memorable drink and I will purchase it again. Definitely a should try drink!

55bill
07-10-2008, 16:41
OGD114 is one of our favorites that we reserve, neat, for Saturday evenings. Great legs, and a pleasing citrus/caramel flavor in nice balance with the rye spiciness. This is one of the outstanding mid-shelf selections that make it difficult to fork over more jingle for the upper shelf offerings. Old gramps, head of the bourbon family!

smokinjoe
07-11-2008, 08:02
A terrific bourbon. Factor in the price, and it's even better. OGD 114 is my favorite Beam product. I always get that "slightly burnt corner of the brownies in the pan" nose and taste from it, which I find D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!

Go ahead and pick it up. I think you'll enjoy it.

Cheers!

JOE

nor02lei
07-11-2008, 09:27
OGD 114 is my favorite Beam product.

JOE

Main to for sure!

Leif

mythrenegade
07-14-2008, 18:49
I love OGD 114. It's a great bargain, and a very good bourbon. One of the great things about bourbon is that you don't have to spend a fortune for great products. Elmer T Lee, OGD 114, and Eagle Rare 10yo come to mind as well priced excellent bourbons. There are many more, but those are the ones that jumped out while I was typing this :-)

Joel

Potbanger
11-06-2008, 21:27
The two bottles I have are from the same store and are listed as "Lot A" on the rear... does this mean anything?

Luna56
11-06-2008, 23:03
It's been a mighty long time since I've had OGD114, I may have to give it another try. I drank it only occasionally, way back in my early twenties, before I knew anything at all about bourbon. It'll be nice to revisit this one with a fresh perspective.

Cheers!

drli
11-07-2008, 20:10
TheStraight Bourbon Of The Month (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38) thread for OGD 114 has alot of info. That would be a great place for information on this offering.

I personally dont like any of the OGD offerings, because to me, they seems to give me a headache the morning after.

polyamnesia
11-07-2008, 20:53
It's been a mighty long time since I've had OGD114, I may have to give it another try. I drank it only occasionally, way back in my early twenties, before I knew anything at all about bourbon. It'll be nice to revisit this one with a fresh perspective.

Cheers!

certainly worth it....i actually was turned off by the BIB version last year...then, as noted here, it got better after being open awhile...

then i tried the 114 a few weeks ago...that bottle didn't last a week and it was great right from the first sip!

at 20.99, it is perhaps the best bargain around.

went back today and (due to the continued financial downturn) turned down a chance to get the 114...and bought the BIB again at 14.99...not as fiery and sophisticated as the 114, but, still, what a steal!

no matter what, GET THE OGD 114! it's simply stellar.:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Potbanger
11-08-2008, 06:55
I'm fairly new... is there a thread or FAQ that would have the meanings for stuff like BIB? I see stuff like that all the time on this bbs (there I go!) and am usually left out of the conversation a bit until I figure it out. It's like the Pentagon here - everything is an acronym! ;)

I'm not complaining, I just want to catch up! :)

callmeox
11-08-2008, 07:17
There's a few sticky threads at the top of the New To Straightbourbon forum, here's the one on terminology:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=43&a=8

Learn the buzzwords and you'll be talking like a pro in no time. :slappin:

polyamnesia
11-08-2008, 07:45
I'm fairly new... is there a thread or FAQ that would have the meanings for stuff like BIB? I see stuff like that all the time on this bbs (there I go!) and am usually left out of the conversation a bit until I figure it out. It's like the Pentagon here - everything is an acronym! ;)

I'm not complaining, I just want to catch up! :)

yeah i understand, and there are often (much of the time!) i don't know WHAT whiskey they are talking about!

BIB i've picked up and use more often...it's Bottled in Bond/100proof.

some get to be easier like WT101 (wild turkey 101), etc...

still, things like FRSB always stump me....until i get a bottle! (four roses small batch)...i THINK i got that right.

WELCOME. folk here are helpful! much more than i am!:grin:

ratcheer
11-08-2008, 09:06
still, things like FRSB always stump me....until i get a bottle! (four roses small batch)...i THINK i got that right.

No, I believe it is Four Roses Single Barrel.

Tim

polyamnesia
11-08-2008, 09:25
No, I believe it is Four Roses Single Barrel.

Tim

thanks tim!

i knew i probably had it wrong (at least a good demonstration for our new member):grin:

Rughi
11-08-2008, 11:04
The Grand Dad 114 seems to be suffering from the Elijah Craig 12 inconsistency "problem" of late.

Of the 2 bottles I've had this year, there has been a striking variation in them, especially in the predominance of rye. One was (from memory) bottle marked 2005 the other 2006, so I don't believe there was any intentional profile drift. Us East Bay'ers were raving (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=102530#post102530) about one of them here some time back (posts 51-58), the one we tried a month later elicited comments like "is this a wheater?"

Roger

Potbanger
11-08-2008, 12:17
The Grand Dad 114 seems to be suffering from the Elijah Craig 12 inconsistency "problem" of late.

Of the 2 bottles I've had this year, there has been a striking variation in them, especially in the predominance of rye. One was (from memory) bottle marked 2005 the other 2006, so I don't believe there was any intentional profile drift. Us East Bay'ers were raving (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=102530#post102530) about one of them here some time back (posts 51-58), the one we tried a month later elicited comments like "is this a wheater?"

Roger

Were the "Lots" the same? Both of my bottles are from the same store, the same case and same Lot A so that's all I've ever known.

Rughi
11-08-2008, 12:31
Were the "Lots" the same? Both of my bottles are from the same store, the same case and same Lot A so that's all I've ever known.

The bottle marked '06 I have is "Lot no 1" - but then from my memory, every Beam-era Grand Dad 114 over the years that I've had was "Lot no 1" (the transitional one I have that is bottle marked '91 is also Lot 1) I was so used to the label never changing that you having Lot A is what surprises me.

Roger

Potbanger
11-08-2008, 20:29
d-oh! My bad. I was going off of memory. Both are in fact Lot No. 1.

New2Whiskey
11-08-2008, 20:34
How is this correctly pronounced?

One One Four
One Fourteen
Eleven 4
Hundred Fourteen

Which would be correct?

callmeox
11-08-2008, 21:54

One One Four
One Fourteen
Eleven 4
Hundred Fourteen

Which would be correct?

That's what I say, but I'm no benchmark.

Rughi
11-09-2008, 09:51
d-oh! My bad. I was going off of memory.

It happens.

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago in a different thread, where I was trying to rattle Four Roses still proofs off the top of my head...and totally blew it.

It sounds like "Lot no 1" is as unchanging as "Lot 40" and "Lot B." Doesn't seem to diminish the pleasure of drinking other, but it is a bit weird.

Roger

cowdery
11-09-2008, 16:57
The two bottles I have are from the same store and are listed as "Lot A" on the rear... does this mean anything?

As far as I know, every bottle of OGD 114 ever produced has been from Lot 1. So, no, it doesn't mean anything.

ratcheer
11-09-2008, 17:20
I also say "One Fourteen", but I too proclaim no special knowledge.

Tim

Potbanger
11-09-2008, 20:33
As far as I know, every bottle of OGD 114 ever produced has been from Lot 1. So, no, it doesn't mean anything.

Either that, or it's too expensive to call the graphics department and have them design a new label.

shoshani
11-09-2008, 21:55

One One Four
One Fourteen
Eleven 4
Hundred Fourteen

Which would be correct?

I've always said one fourteen.

When referring to my favorite expressions of either Weller or Old Rip, I say "one oh seven". Because "one aught seven" is just pretentious. :D

spun_cookie
03-13-2009, 11:55

It might have at one point....

I purchased two 200 ml of OGD 114 yesterday. They dates on the bottles are from May 1981 and August 1981.

The May version is Lot 1 (left)

The Aug version is Lot 2 (right)

Does anyone know when 114 was first distributed?

Josh
03-13-2009, 12:14
I've always called it CXIV.

Phantos
08-12-2009, 19:38
this is a wheater? :/

is this possibly the orig OGD/BH mashbill vatted with JB mashbill at good proof?

I taste that JB/JBB/KC liqourish taste without the bubble gum...
I am not really getting the burnt brownie but I am def getting the biscuit.

I did not read the whole thread but this is what my palette is telling me...
although my palette might be ruined from a long afternoon with really heavy hops-driven micro beers from tap.

what do you guys think?

(taste great no matter what! I am glad to have found it, thanks to you all!)

ratcheer
08-13-2009, 05:22
It is most definitely not a wheater, it is one of the higher rye of all the rye flavored mashbills.

Tim

Rughi
08-13-2009, 14:32
this is a wheater? :/

It's funny, we had several 114's at a tasting some time back, and one bottle was quite different and much less rye-forward. We were cracking jokes about whether it was actually a wheater, because we couldn't taste the rye and it disappeared on the palate so prematurely.

I think there is a fair amount of variation between batches and your tastebuds really were telling you what that bottle tasted like.

Still, there's a lot of rye in 114.

Roger

Phantos
08-14-2009, 00:13
the wheater thing was just something I read earlier in this thread...
but I am drinking KC back to back with OLD114 tonight...
and they seem to be highly related...
same mash bill?
I know both are Beam product.

Josh
08-14-2009, 04:53
the wheater thing was just something I read earlier in this thread...
but I am drinking KC back to back with OLD114 tonight...
and they seem to be highly related...
same mash bill?
I know both are Beam product.

Different mashbill, different yeast. Both are indeed Beam products, but when Beam bought National Distillers, they decided to keep OGD the same (or at they used the same yeast and mashbill) while they turned ND's other bourbons, Old Crow and Old Taylor, into bottom shelfers. They also kept OGD at 86 proof, and kept the BiB and 114 expressions.

When Beam started its small batch collection, they decided to create Basil Hayden as OGD's entry, unfortunately at 80 proof. Basil Hayden the man was, I believe, the original "Old Granddad".

The Beamishness of the current OGD would come from its aging. I have a bottle of OGD from 1987 (right before Beam bought it) and it bears a resemblence to ND OT's & Old Crows I've had, particularly in the finish. There's a certain ND funky butterscotch flavor. I agree that the current OGD has a bit of that yeasty, grassy Beam taste.

Phantos
08-14-2009, 20:38
When Beam started its small batch collection, they decided to create Basil Hayden as OGD's entry, unfortunately at 80 proof. Basil Hayden the man was, I believe, the original "Old Granddad".

Basil Hayden is a wheater.

what's up?

CygnusX-1
08-14-2009, 21:39
Basil Hayden is a wheater.

what's up?

No its not, same high rye mashbill as OGD. And yes Basil Hyden is Old Grand Dad

DeanSheen
09-03-2009, 07:45
I opend my second bottle of this last night. It's been awhile since I had the first one, probably about 3 months or so. This bottle seems better, more carmelly with less of a leading harsh edge.

I'm gonna have to stock up on this one and maybe lock it up too so I cant get at it easily.

Rughi
09-03-2009, 11:05
I opend my second bottle of this last night. It's been awhile since I had the first one, probably about 3 months or so. This bottle seems better, more carmelly with less of a leading harsh edge.

I'm gonna have to stock up on this one and maybe lock it up too so I cant get at it easily.

Your comment further reinforces my belief that there's a fair amount of variations between batches. That's kind of fun, but if you're going to bunker a bunch of bottles, I'd try to take it from the same stocks as one you know you like really well.

Roger