PDA

View Full Version : Best Chips Are..?

Gillman
06-23-2008, 15:14
What's the best potato chips out there today?

In terms of brands available nationally, I always liked Wise.

I also developed a taste for Pringle's, they make a low-fat one I like.

It's not diet food but chips and a good dip are still a great snack with bourbon.

Gary

Gillman
06-23-2008, 15:17
There's a local chip in Toronto with a flavoring of black pepper and lime that is really good. I don't know how the maker hit on that combination (it isn't intuitive, or so I would have thought), but it is great.

I never liked barbecue chips by the way, they had an odd flavor I thought.

I do like chips that have a "salt and vinegar" taste.

Gary

SBOmarc
06-23-2008, 15:17
I have to agree Gary, Wise has always done it for me. They are the same now as when I was growing up. I don't eat them, or anything else for that matter when drinking bourbon. But with a good sandwich and a beer, bring them on!

Gillman
06-23-2008, 15:22
A (funny, I think) chips story.

We've all probably known people who are shall we say a bit odd or eccentric. I had a friend like that in Montreal. Very bright guy but always did things his way and he had certain amusing practices.

One of his habits was to maintain, in his first apartment after he was working, two kinds of chips. He had his "best chips" for his favored guests (say, a new girl he was taking out), and his "second best chips" for other guests.

I can't recall at this date what distinguished them. At that time anyway, chips in the silver bags would go a bit soft if too old, so maybe those were the second best. Or maybe he decided it by brand.

Gary

CorvallisCracker
06-23-2008, 16:03
At our party Saturday we served Kettle brand "Salt and Pepper" crinkle cut chips. Everybody loved them.

My wife, being a New Orleans native, is partial to Zapps, but we can't get those here.

spun_cookie
06-23-2008, 16:10
Lately I have been eating Cape Cod and Bolder for great chip taste with light salt and I have replaced Ruffles with Michael Stevens.

I am not a health food nut, but these do come from those sections. I actually taste potato and the salt does not kick me the teeth like Ruffles and Lays.

I had not ever realized how salty they were until I switched to the other brands (because they were on sale and they had free tastings) and not I am hooked.

The lower salt is better with the bourbon as well :D

ratcheer
06-23-2008, 16:56
I strongly favor Zapp's, from Grammercy, Louisiana. A little expensive, but worth it. These were some of the first "kettle style" chips I remember seeing.

Tim

camduncan
06-23-2008, 16:58
I definately rate Kettle chips right up there.

BourbonJoe
06-23-2008, 17:05
IMO the best potato chips, by far, come from Berks County PA, in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country. They are Good's brand in the blue & white bag. They are lard fried and absolutely great.
Joe :usflag:

callmeox
06-23-2008, 17:07
When I fall off the diet wagon, I often hit my head on a bag of Dirty (http://www.dirtys.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/online-store/scstore/shophome.html?E+scstore) chips (I'm partial to the salt and vinegar style). A good peanut oil crunch and not too oily. The black pepper and sea salt are also tasty.

They only ship to the lower 48, so Cam is SOL.

Gillman
06-23-2008, 17:13
Great notes, keep 'em coming.

Gary

OldJack
06-23-2008, 18:33
Zapps and Cap Cod are both great as are Mrs. Vickie's, which are put out by Frito-Lay these days and should be easy enough to find.

For something really different, TerraChips Spice Sweet Potato Chips are fantastic- especially w/ guacamole.

texascarl
06-23-2008, 19:06
I really like Kettle 'lower salt' chips. I grew up eating Guy's and Charles Chips, but mergers & acquistions must have put the whammy on those two.

BourbonJoe
06-23-2008, 19:19
I remember Charles Chips from my high school days. They were pretty good, as I remember.

ILLfarmboy
06-23-2008, 19:55
Absolute hands down best potato chips ever, in this or any parallel universe: Sterzings http://www.sterzingchips.com/NewFiles/home.html

Gillman
06-23-2008, 20:44
I've had Cape Cod chips, they're pretty good.

I like Ripple-type chips. For some reason the shape seems to make them taste better, I don't know why!

Gary

BourbonJoe
06-24-2008, 06:10
I'm gonna bring a box of Good's chips to the Gazebo in September. Get ready for a treat.

gothbat
06-24-2008, 09:34
Beer Chips (http://beerchips.com/) are excellent! I haven't seen them for sale any place by me but when I was at Brewtopia I must have eaten 4 or 5 bags of them! They're thick cut kettle chips with salt, sugar, and beer. Another kind I thought was pretty good were these extra dark potato chips from the Amish Market, they don't have a brand name though, at least not that I know of. Pringles are pretty good too but out of the 3 I mentioned the Beer Chips are by far the best. More generally speaking, I'll take kettle cooked potato chips over the regular ones almost any day.

chilidawg7
06-24-2008, 13:04
Count me in as another vote for Zapp's. First time I had them was at one of those sandwich places where you get a big, fat sandwich, a bag of chips and a bottle of your favorite soda. I was immediately hooked and pick them up anytime I see them.

swampguy
06-24-2008, 13:15
Zapp's for me. My favorite is Crawtater. Made with crawfish boil.

CorvallisCracker
06-24-2008, 14:00
Count me in as another vote for Zapp's. First time I had them was at one of those sandwich places where you get a big, fat sandwich, a bag of chips and a bottle of your favorite soda.

Oh yeah.

Before Katrina, my wife and I would visit New Orleans about every eight months or so. On the way back we'd always stop at this sandwich joint in Slidell. I'd get a Andouille sausage po' boy, Zapps crawtaters and an Abita Springs root beer[1]. Heaven!

1. Sweetened with sugar, not HFCS.

swampguy
06-24-2008, 14:26
CC, come on back to NO it is still a wonderful vibrant city, with great music and romance. The Quater, uptown, the zoo, city park, the street car and most of the beloved spots in NO are still there andd thriving.

CorvallisCracker
06-24-2008, 14:47
CC, come on back to NO it is still a wonderful vibrant city, with great music and romance. The Quater, uptown, the zoo, city park, the street car and most of the beloved spots in NO are still there andd thriving.

At that time we lived in Tallahassee, about a five hour drive. Now we live in Oregon.

Someday we'll make a return visit.

swampguy
06-24-2008, 15:19
Oh well I have a muffalota and bag of zapps with a cold Abita Wheat in your honor.

gr8erdane
06-25-2008, 22:49
I make my own homemade chips from time to time and flavor them however the mood strikes me. I just use my food processor slicing attachment to slice the potatoes and fry them in the same deep fryer I use for my Toasted Raviolis. Most of the time I just go light on the salt and then sprinkle a Kraft mixture of parmesian, asiago and romano cheeses that I'm sorry to say I haven't seen a replacement for lately. Two of my favorite burger joints in Missouri make their own fresh chips and when they are still warm out of the frier they are unbelievable.

doubleblank
06-26-2008, 09:02
Best chips.....go to Delmonico's in Las Vegas. Sit at the bar and order an Old Rip 10/107 and an order of their truffled potato chips. They are cooked fresh, sprinkled with paremsean and real truffle oil drizzled over the top. You won't need a steak or anything else to satisfy you....but take your cholesterol meds first.

Randy

Gillman
06-26-2008, 12:21
Thanks again all, most interesting. The chips Dane and Randy refer to are freshly made as chips originally were. Saratoga chips (there is a brand today under that name I think) were the first chips, invented in a swank hotel in Saratoga Springs, NY in the 1800's. The story I read says a guest wanted his fried potatos really crisp and kept sending them back to the kitchen for improvement. The chef got the idea to slice potatos very thinly and throw them into the frier (probably partly in exasperation). The guest loved the result and a new dish was invented! Potato chips seem uniquely American. French fries and the other forms of fried spuds were known in Europe but not good old chips. In fact, chips means something different in England (or did before the onslaught of McDonalds and similar): french fries. What we call chips they call, or used to call, crisps.

British crisps are a whole other scene! They've got ketchup chips and curry chips and dill chips and lots more. Where'e the British recommendations here? Calling all SB U.K. members! Cam, are there any good chips/crisps in Australia?

Gary

Gillman
06-26-2008, 12:52
Those interested in the etymology of the word chips might agree that the term (I am referring here to British chips - french fried potatos) derives from "chipped potatos". I saw this term in the 1990's on the menu of Manzi's, a London fish restaurant in Soho that began operations before World War II.

Clearly that term was on Manzi's original menu: it sounds so old-fashioned, it just had to be. And that means it goes back to the 1800's. And indeed a British chip does resemble a small rectangle, in fact, a wood chip, whence the term probably derives. The floury British potatos encourage the characteristic shape to be retained in the frier.

Those chips so the stories go came from carts in the 1800's that dispensed them in the modest quarters of London. The carts were owned by Belgians who probably spoke French (Walloons), hence the association of chips with the French. Although, the French make excellent fried potatos too, so maybe there was a more direct connection with France.

But these chips of Britain and the American french fries/freedom fries are a different animal from the good old potato chip of America!

Gary

callmeox
06-26-2008, 20:37
The local cheap dive with awesome burgers serves potatoes two ways...either fresh cut fries or fresh made chips. When you order either, they grab a scrubbed potato from the bin and either plunge it through the vertical french fry cutter mounted on the wall or they take it over to the deli meat slicer and cut it wonderfully thin for chips.

It's a dump (http://foodgoat.blogspot.com/2005/06/tryout-tuesday-stevensons.html), but the burgers and chips are phenomenal.

craigthom
06-27-2008, 17:02
My hobby (well, my main one of many, I guess) is driving around a lot. A whole lot of the US (and, increasingly) is becoming very homogenous. The same stores, the same restaurants, the same drinks and the same prepared foods are everywhere.

Potato chips are one of the last great regional foods. People who don't travel assume their brands are everywhere, but they aren't. Lay's is the only national brand in the US of regular chips. On the high end there are Cape Cod and Kettle, but those aren't in the regular section or in many convenience stores.

I believe the Humpty Dumpty brand is international. I don't know of any others (besides Lay's).

(Convenience stores are the key for my investigation, since stopping for gas is a regular part of the road trip, and I always check out the chip selection, even if I don't buy many.)

I am not a fan of the pale light Midwestern style. Jay's is the flagship of this, I think. There's almost no color to them. I like a bit more of Dr. Maillard's reaction in my chips.

I'm fascinated by the flavors I see. In eastern Canada I saw "All Dressed". I have no idea what that means. Some places have Dill Pickle, while others have Salt and Vinegar instead.

Here are my favorite British flavors:

Prawn
Ham and Pickle
Roast Beef and Cheddar
Lamb and Mint

In Maryland someone makes Crab, but I think it's like the Crawfish in Louisiana: it's the boil seasoning, not the critter.

Gillman
06-27-2008, 21:41
All dressed in Canada usually means a hot dog with mustard, relish and onion. It is a term I recall well when growing up in Montreal. So chips all dressed would be with the flavor of those things combined.

In the kind of English-French mixture you used to hear in Montreal, one would say, "donnez-moi deux hot dogs all-dress" (I'll have two dogs all-dressed). Brings back memories!

Gary

CorvallisCracker
06-28-2008, 11:31
All dressed in Canada usually means a hot dog with mustard, relish and onion.

Q: What did the Zen Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything.

bluesbassdad
06-28-2008, 11:39
Q: What did the Zen Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything.

I love it! :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Jono
06-28-2008, 19:59
I like many varieties....regular flavor chips from "Kitchen Cooked" are tasty:

http://www.kitchencooked.net/

Dr. François
06-28-2008, 21:10
I'll throw my vote in for Boulder Canyon Malt Vinegar & Sea Salt Chips.

TimmyBoston
07-01-2008, 01:45
My favorite are the Baked Lays, in particular the Sour Cream and Onion.

swampguy
07-01-2008, 06:58
CBS Sunday Morning had a segment on potato chips. They said the pc was 155 yrs old and was begun in a resteraunt in Saratoga NY. A custumer complained about the potatos being too thick.
So the cook in anger sliced them super thin thinking he wouldn't like them. And I can't remember the rest, misspent youth.

Gillman
07-01-2008, 08:10
Well there you go.

Gary

dave ziegler
07-01-2008, 10:10
The Best Chips I have ever had and I order a case now and then are from US RT 11 in Va. If you type in US RT 11 chips you will find their site. I have been getting them since about 1999 I found their factory in an old Feed Mill and sampled their chips. They have Sour Cream & Chive, Sweet Potato, Dill, Regular and many more they are out of this world and their prices to ship are not Bad. If you love good old fashion Potato Chips give these a try. Heres the web site www.rt11.com (http://www.rt11.com) Another great chip comes from Wilder VT Mad House Munches their site is www.madhousemunchies.com (http://www.madhousemunchies.com) these are also wonderful used to bring bags and bags home when I traveled loved their creamy french Onion ones, and Sea Salt ones!
Dave Z
Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
--------------------------------------------------

dave ziegler
07-02-2008, 07:00
The Best Chips I have ever had and I order a case now and then are from US RT 11 in Va. If you type in US RT 11 chips you will find their site. I have been getting them since about 1999 I found their factory in an old Feed Mill and sampled their chips. They have Sour Cream & Chive, Sweet Potato, Dill, Regular and many more they are out of this world and their prices to ship are not Bad. If you love good old fashion Potato Chips give these a try. Heres the web site www.rt11.com (http://www.rt11.com) Another great chip comes from Wilder VT Mad House Munches their site is www.madhousemunchies.com (http://www.madhousemunchies.com) these are also wonderful used to bring bags and bags home when I traveled loved their creamy french Onion ones, and Sea Salt ones!
Dave Z
--------------------------------------------------
Gary Have you ever had any of the Madhouse Munchie Chips from Vermont? Also you should give the US Rt 11 chips from Va a try they are out of this world!
Dave Z
-----------------------------------------------------

Special Reserve
07-02-2008, 08:00
I like potato chips. Cape Cod, Kettles, and Lays manage to find their way into the long term rotation. However, I also find that potato chips and bourbon do not mix well. May be it's just me but I get far more alcohol burn after eating some.

On the other hand, I find that bourbon and ice cream complement each other very well.

Will

cas
07-02-2008, 09:02
What about corn/nacho chips? I particularly like the yellow corn Bearitos. Any other favorites?
Craig

Gillman
07-02-2008, 09:05
We get an organic blue corn chip here which is great.

Gary

smokinjoe
07-02-2008, 09:27
Saw this rating report on AOL this morning:

http://food.aol.com/grilling/flavored-potato-chip-taste-test?icid=100214839x1204791965x1200219610

JOE

dave ziegler
07-02-2008, 13:38
Saw this rating report on AOL this morning:

http://food.aol.com/grilling/flavored-potato-chip-taste-test?icid=100214839x1204791965x1200219610

JOE
Saw the Madhouse Munchies Creamy French Onion on there, they are one of my favorites makes me think about getting a case of them soon!
Dave Z