PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Kansas

BangTango
06-25-2008, 09:49
Where to begin. I work for the leading spirits distributor here in Kansas. I sell the fine bourbons from Jim Beam, Old Charter, a few of the labels from Buffalo Trace/Sazerac, Brown Forman, and Diageo. I just really started getting into bourbons in the winter of 06 when I picked up bottles of G. T. Stagg and Eagle Rare 17. After that I was hooked on good bourbom. Since then I have been trying to pick up bottles here and there as money will allow (I have three kids at home). And trying to convince my divison VP that we need to expand our bourbon portfolio here at work.

In the past I have had the pleasure of meeting and shaking hands with Booker and Freedie Noe at Bookers house and doing ride alongs and tasting events with Tom Bulliet.

In the past month we have introduced the new Eagle Rare 10 yr which I think is a fantastic bourbon. And we have the Prichards double barrel and a bourbon from Colorado called Stranahans waiting in the wings to roll out next month. There are also rumors of us getting Four Roses in the near future.

So I'm here to expand my knowledge and learn to talk the bourbon talk. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

CorvallisCracker
06-25-2008, 09:58
And trying to convince my divison VP that we need to expand our bourbon portfolio here at work.

I've been trying to accomplish the same thing, with no success.

Probably has something to do with us not being in the liquor business.

Anyway, welcome to SB.com!

spun_cookie
06-25-2008, 10:53
Welcome to teh site... like to here more about your plight as it progresses... I know many of folks from Kansas that would love to get some better selections...

bluesbassdad
06-25-2008, 13:11
Welcome, BT! (Same initials as Buffalo Trace. Hmmm... :grin: )

For the 31 years I lived in CA I thought of myself as a Kansan first, even though I'd lived there only nine years (three as an airman, three as a Wheatshocker and three as a Topekan).

I haven't been drinking much lately because of medical reasons, but I still weigh in here occasionally.

You refer to a new Eagle Rare 10 y/o. I'm familiar with an Eagle Rare 10 y/o single barrel bottling which has been around a while. Is another 10 y/o bottling about to be released?

At one time there was an Eagle Rare 101 proof with no age statement (NAS). If it were to be reintroduced with a 10 y/o age statement, I would have to break my self-imposed moratorium on new purchases of bourbon.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

fishnbowljoe
06-25-2008, 15:20
Welcome BT, glad you're aboard. It's nice to hear things from another side of the business. Maybe we can learn from each other a bit. This is a good place for that. Again, welcome and hope you have a good time here. :woohoo: Joe

BangTango
06-25-2008, 16:05
You refer to a new Eagle Rare 10 y/o. I'm familiar with an Eagle Rare 10 y/o single barrel bottling which has been around a while. Is another 10 y/o bottling about to be released?

Well I say new because it's new to the Kansas market. We just got it in May of this year. Got to do a ride along with the Sazerac rep when we introduced it. I hit him with a bunch of questions about getting more of their high end stuff. Like more of the Antique Collection (right now I only get to sell Stagg and Eagle Rare 17). Also pushed to see if we could get on the list for the Experimental Collection. But for now I think if we get any more products from Sazerac/BT it will be Rock Hill Farms and the Sazerac Rye 6yr. What stinks is that I don't get to sell Buffalo Trace since we actually split Sazerac/BT with the other distributor in the state and they got that product instead of us. And they only got BT in I think March of this year. So as you can see Kansas is a little behind the curve on getting limited supply stuff which I hate.

mozilla
06-25-2008, 18:36
[quote=bluesbassdad;127843]At one time there was an Eagle Rare 101 proof with no age statement (NAS).[quote]

Are you sure about that? I believe that it was a 10 yrs old all the way back to the Seagrams days.
There have been other versions, though...10/90 & 10/101 Seagrams, 10/90 & 10/101 & 15/107 & 17/90 Sazerac. Saz might have even had one or two more that I have not listed.

mozilla
06-25-2008, 18:44
Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Welcome to the board!

Hope you keep us updated on your search for better bourbon. Allocations can be a bitch!

I remember searching for some rare Weller while working at a store in Austin. I had been checking the distributers invintories and then ordering the odds and ends I could muster....
Well, I stumbled upon a case of Weller Centennial at a distributer and tried to order it, asap. My rep. responded by telling me the entire case was to be shared by the whole state of Texas. It was all allocated. I was lucky enough to receive one bottle.....

bluesbassdad
06-25-2008, 19:28
[quote=bluesbassdad;127843]At one time there was an Eagle Rare 101 proof with no age statement (NAS).

Are you sure about that? I believe that it was a 10 yrs old all the way back to the Seagrams days.
There have been other versions, though...10/90 & 10/101 Seagrams, 10/90 & 10/101 & 15/107 & 17/90 Sazerac. Saz might have even had one or two more that I have not listed.

No, I was mistaken. I dug out my remaining half bottle to check. It reads AGED TEN YEARS.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

mozilla
06-25-2008, 19:31
That's the kind of info that's good for both parties.

texascarl
06-25-2008, 19:59
Welcome, fellow Kansan. I'm over in the KC metro area. Cheers!

ILLfarmboy
06-25-2008, 20:47
...and a bourbon from Colorado called Stranahans waiting in the wings to roll out next month. There are also rumors of us getting Four Roses in the near future.

So I'm here to expand my knowledge and learn to talk the bourbon talk. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

First off, welcome to the forum. It is always good to here of folks who work for distributors or retail outlets who take a genuine interest in the products they carry.

Stranahan's isn't a bourbon. It is made from a mash of 100% malted barley.
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7369

I hope when you get the chance to try it, you like it. I do.

Sazerac 6 yr. old rye is a favorite of mine. Realy, you can't go wrong with anything that comes out of BT.