PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Aussie Aussie

Gumbootboy
06-26-2008, 10:03
Hi all,

Just signed up, thought I'd say hello from down here in Australia.

And to start of the learning...

What are my fellow Australians opinions about the best places and best brands available in Australia.

I must admit, my knowledge of bourbon is limited, mainly to the stuff widely available on the local shelves; Jim (White & Black), Jack (Regular & Gentlemen), Wild Turkey (Regular, 8YO and Liqueur), Blantons, Woodford Reserve, Cougar. I think that's all.

My Opinions:
Wild Turkey, is a favourite.
Woodford Reserve wasn't anything too special, especially for it's price.
Jack isn't really my taste at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something I might like, or where I can find some nice bourbon?

Thanks for all advice in advance.

Oh, and the name is Dave, age is 20, soon to be 21 (The legal age is 18 in Aus for those that don't already know).

Dave

HighTower
06-26-2008, 12:19
Dave,

Welcome to SB.com!! Great to have another Aussie on board!
Where about in Oz are you?
If you have a Liquorland, 1st Choice or Vintage Cellars store nearby you can find the following:
- Heaven Hill -
Elijah Craig 12yo - very good value for money
Evan Williams
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Virgin Bourbon 101 proof
Iron Horse
Kentucky Gold
- Wild Turkey -
Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101 (VC & 1st Choice Only)
Wild Turkey American Spirit 15yo 101 (Can still find this @ 1st Choice or certain independent Liquor Stores if you're lucky)

You should also be able to find Booker's, Baker's and Basil Hayden's from the Jim Beam Small Batch line at most decent bottle shops.
McKenna Bourbon is also decent if it can be had in your area. It is made by Four Roses and it's not too bad.

Woodford isn't bad, but for a bourbon of that price I find it very inconsistent. I have had really good bottles and bottles where I thought "Did I just drop $65 for that??

If you're in Brisbane you will have to get over for a drink sometime!
Anyway, my wife is having a baby in about 3 hours so I think I better go.

Enjoy your journey here! It will be fun!

Scott

spun_cookie
06-26-2008, 14:02
Oye Oye Oye...

Good to see you floating the bourbon site man... a toast to you with some WTRR

camduncan
06-26-2008, 16:48
Hey Dave,

Welcome from another Aussie in Brisbane.
You'll find an absolute wealth of information here.

Scott has pretty much outlined everything available, so I won't double up on info.
Likewise, if you're in Brisbane / ever in Brisbane, let us know and we'll have a drink sometime.

fishnbowljoe
06-26-2008, 22:40
Hi Dave and welcome. Scott and Cam will be able to give you all the help you'll need, so I'll keep my mouth shut for once.:lol: Hope you like it here. You can learn some neat things and have fun and get to know some good people in the process. Joe

TroyM
06-27-2008, 00:14
Hi from a fellow Aussie. Dont leave Wild Turkey Rare Breed off your list. Its a must have.

Gumbootboy
06-27-2008, 01:12
Thanks for making me feel welcome guys.

That list looks like a great starting place, LiquorLand sounds like the place to go, Thanks Scott.

And Troy, I just added the Rare Breed to the birthday list.

Hope to see your round,
Dave

jackthewog
06-27-2008, 04:02
Welcome to the forum, great place to learn about all things bourbon. Since the introdution of the 'superstores' Dam Murphy's and First Choice buying bourbon in Australia has never been better. Don't mean to hijack the thread but have any of you Australian's (or others if its not an export only) tried Virgin bourbon? all I know is its a Heaven Hill(?) 100 proof and 8 years old. Seems great value to at AUS$36 for 700ml.

Cheers Jack Borserio

Treeguy
06-29-2008, 17:52
Hey Dave,

A pleasure to be here with you. We might be half the planet away from each other but we share the same Wild Turkey tastebuds.

Gumbootboy
06-30-2008, 02:44
Dave,
Elijah Craig 12yo - very good value for money

Just picked up some, can't wait till after work. Does look good for $42 for a 12y.o. Sounds good. Hope it tastes good too.

I got some Jim Beam Small Batch too, was nice, there was something about it thought, the port they add maybe, just a bit off from what I usually like.

Dave

camduncan
06-30-2008, 03:39
have any of you Australian's (or others if its not an export only) tried Virgin bourbon?

I certainly have Jack, but not recently. From memory, it was a good drop for the price, but not something I'd drink every day.

I got some Jim Beam Small Batch too, was nice, there was something about it thought, the port they add maybe, just a bit off from what I usually like.

Dave, I took a bottle to Kentucky in April, and the general opinion was, not bad, but not good either. All agreed, they'd take Knob Creek (which the Small Batch with Port added replaced) any day.

TroyM
06-30-2008, 17:41
Does anyone else get a real "baked goods" doughy element in the JB Small Batch?

HighTower
07-01-2008, 01:05
Does anyone else get a real "baked goods" doughy element in the JB Small Batch?
I have never sampled enough of it to make that sort of assessment. I got a bottle and had a few pours, but it was definitely not my thing. Schweppes Lemonade did improve it!

I gave the remainder of that bottle away.

Scott

HighTower
07-01-2008, 01:09
Don't mean to hijack the thread but have any of you Australian's (or others if its not an export only) tried Virgin bourbon? all I know is its a Heaven Hill(?) 100 proof and 8 years old. Seems great value to at AUS$36 for 700ml.

Cheers Jack Borserio

Jack,

I have had Virgin bourbon, and I was quite impressed at the bang-for-the-buck.
$36 for a 101 proofer is good value......I have paid more for worse bourbons.
I do not recommend having 10 shots of it in a row though, bad experience. :grin:

Scott
P.S. Japan have a huge line of Virgin Bourbon, on top of the regular 7yo there's I think 12, 15 and 21yo juice over there, the 21 dipped in silver wax. I would like to try that one day.