Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoosier hello

Apprentice

Hoosier hello

Hello all.

I have been reading some of the great information here for a while and decided it was time to join the discussion.

I am fairly new to drinking bourbon (at least anything that does not have red wax on the neck of the bottle).

I just finished a bottle of 1792 which I enjoyed very much. It seemed a very good bourbon especially for the summer. I am looking for another summer bottle to try now. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help in my next selection.

Paul

Enthusiast

Re: Hoosier hello

Welcome Paul! Like many folks here, sounds like Maker's got you started and now you're on your way to trying a few new products. You came to the right place! This group is helpful and will gladly offer up suggestions.

I have not tried 1792 myself, but would recommend a few products.

One is Old Granddad 114, known here as OGD 114. It's a bit more powerful than the others at 114 proof, but it is one of my favorites. It is readily available at most stores and is reasonably priced (usually under $25.)

Another good one is WL Weller Centennial. A bit more expensive, but usually gets good reviews by myself and others.

You may also want to check out this thread as it offers up some good advice for a relatively new bourbon drinker.
    ____
    Chris

Connoisseur

Welcome from another Indy bourbon guy. There are a few others from the board from Indy. I am looking to move to better digs and am planning a get together (to partially pay back for all the kind invitations from others) once we get settled. May still be a few months, so in the mean time ..... there are always a few nice places to meet and have a wee dram.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Hoosier Daddy?!?!?!?!

Welcome aboard, Paul. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. For sure, you've got great neighbors in Bourbonia, in the Indy area.

Try some Buffalo Trace. It's good every season.

I look forward to your contributions on the boards! Double entendre intended, with the basketball reference...

Cheers!

JOE

Welcome Paul, Born and raised in Indy, now in Illinois. Yes, you do have some good neighbors down there. I can suggest a few bourbons for you to try. Eagle Rare 10/90, Elmer T Lee, or any of the Weller line. I haven't had the Centennial, but I have had the Special Reserve, Antique 107 and Weller 12 yr old, and they are all fine bourbons. Let us know how it's going and what you decide. Hope you have a good one, Joe (the other one)
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Hi-D-Hi, Hi-D-Hey...... good to see soem new blood...

Apprentice

Thank you for the suggestions and the welcome. I will let you guys know what I decide. I am honestly not too sure what all is available here locally. I have been a creature of habit for far to long. I may come back with more questions once I see what the selection is around here...

Thanks again
    Paul

There are three types of people: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens.

Paul, Just keep checking the boards/threads. From what I can tell Indy's not too bad a place for finding bourbon. Of course you could take a road trip to Chicago and check out a Binny's. I did. It's worth it. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Welcome Shaman! Like many people I'm from Indiana, but no longer live there. I live in the Detroit area now, but I'm a third generation Broad Ripple-ite, then I went to college in Anderson. Then I married a girl from Irvington.

Like with the auto industry, Indiana used to be a big player in the distilling world too. Good to see that the Hoosier state is well represented on this board!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Welcome Shaman !!!

Whereas, Indyis not a bourbon Mecca by any means, there is a descent selection. Might I suggest the Eagle Rare 10 yr. You should be able to find that one anywhere.

Let us know what you decide on.

Happy Hunting !!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.