Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoosier hello

Guru

Re: Hoosier hello

Welcome aboard...

One of my favorite summer bourbons is Basil Hayden. Many here will scoff, but it is a rye-rich bourbon bottled at 80 proof. Perfect for having multiple pours while BBQing, hanging around the pool, etc.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    One of my favorite summer bourbons is Basil Hayden. Many here will scoff, but it is a rye-rich bourbon bottled at 80 proof. Perfect for having multiple pours while BBQing, hanging around the pool, etc.
    ask and ye shall receive....

If you are interested in following that advice...I say shoot for the OGD 86. It is virtually the same bourbon, though the OGD has a variety of proofs to choose from instead of just 80. Also, the OGD line will allow you to purchase two bottles for the price of one Basil Hayden. OGD also has a 100 and 114 proof versions.

I would recommend BT mashbill #1 for a fat sweet style, HH for a dryer bourbon, and WT for an "Old School" style of bourbon.

Don't forget to try some straight rye....you get a little more bang for your buck with the more expensive grain as the majority.

Welcome to the board!

Jeff Mo.

Apprentice

Thank you all for the friendly welcome and the suggestions. The liquor store I went to did not have a great selection but I did see a few that were well spoken of here. I selected a bottle of Buffalo Trace. The first glass reminded me a lot of Makers Mark (my current everyday) but the subsequent glasses do not. The flavor is actually quite different though I am still trying to figure out exactly what it is that is different. Any suggestions for how to do a head to head comparison without the first drink tainting the second? I like it very much and it is a great bourbon at least to my newbie palate.

I also thought about trying the OFBB that has been well reviewed here. I have been unable to find it so far is the OF standard bottle similar? Or am I comparing to completely different things?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by shaman; 07-19-2008 at 09:17.
    Paul

There are three types of people: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens.

Disciple

Which OF are you referring to? Fitz or Forester?

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Hey, Paul. If you go to the "Tasting" forum of this site, you'll find 7 stickied threads at the top of it by Marvin, titled: "How to evaluate the different tastes in bourbon". Read them, print them off, and refer to them as you do your tastings. They're a treasure, and have been a tremendous help to those like me, who tend to be "palatly challenged"

Cheers!

JOE

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Which OF are you referring to? Fitz or Forester?
    Sorry about that.. Forester was the OF I was referring to.
    Paul

There are three types of people: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Hey, Paul. If you go to the "Tasting" forum of this site, you'll find 7 stickied threads at the top of it by Marvin, titled: "How to evaluate the different tastes in bourbon". Read them, print them off, and refer to them as you do your tastings. They're a treasure, and have been a tremendous help to those like me, who tend to be "palatly challenged"

Cheers!

JOE
    Joe,

I will check those out as soon as I get a chance. Thank you. I have only been into a couple of the forums. Thanks for helping me find my way around.
    Paul

Apprentice

With the help of suggestions from many people here my "stash" has grown from multiple bottles of MM to a modest selection of 8 different bourbons. I am starting to think this might be an expensive hobby

So far my 3 faves have been Buffalo Trace, 1792, and Weller SR.

Thanks for all of the help. I am having a blast with all of this....
    Paul

Paul, If you like the Weller SR, you'll love the Weller Antique 107, and the Weller 12 yr old. Give then a try. You want be disappointed. Joe (again, the other one)
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Paul, Welcome! As you can see, there are many friendly people here who are eager to help. Some bourbons that people here have turned me on to are: Elmer T Lee, Weller Antique 107 and Weller Centennial, Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107, Pappy Van Winkle 15 and a real value, Very Old Barton 100 Proof Bottled in Bond.

There are lots of great bourbons for you to try and I look forward to reading your posts.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor