Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

BOTM, 7/08: Wild Turkey American Spirit

This month's selection is the recent limited release - Wild Turkey American Spirit. Released in the USA, Australia and Japan, many of the retail stocks are now depleted.

What is your opinion?

Sound Off

Virtuoso

Re: BOTM, 7/08: Wild Turkey American Spirit

Very enjoyable...so much I emptied it last night! Well maybe I'll dig for a spare. This really got better the longer the bottle was open.

Tony
    Last edited by HighTower; 07-16-2008 at 14:27.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

I have purchased and drank a bottle of AS. I liked it so much that I replinished the bottle with another. I found the premium bottling of WT to be surprising tasteful and pleasing. At the price, it is not a go to drink, but a great special occasion pour. I am looking forward to a special occasion to pry open the cork. An excellent pour.
    Last edited by HighTower; 07-16-2008 at 14:27.
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Connoisseur

Is there any rhyme or reason to all of the Wild Turkey brands?

I look at the following brands and immediately understand the marketing message.

Rye
    8 yr.
    12 yr.
    17 yr.
    Sherry Signature

But for the following, I trouble figuring out or remember what they are.

American Spirit 15 yr
    Kentucky Spirit
    Russell Reserve 10 yr
    Russell Reserve Rye
    Rare Breed
    Master Distiller Selection 14 yr.
    Tribute 15 yr.

How does know what to look for? (edit: I realise that most of these are on there website, but MDS14 and T15 are not)

Is AS15 and MSD14 really worth 3 times the price of Rare Breed?

Anyone want to sponsor a tasting between 17 yr, T15, MDS 14 and AS 15? I will be more than happy to attend and supply proper glassware.
    Last edited by HighTower; 07-16-2008 at 14:28.

Connoisseur

There are only three bottles of Master Distillers Selection 14 YO available in Japan. At 90 bucks, I could buy a bottle of 12 YO and Rare Breed and still have change.

I am very tempted to buy . . . .

Anyone have this before? Is it that much better that 12 YO?

I finished my first bottle on the weekend. When I first opened it, I found it to be very similar to a Kentucky Spirit I have open. In saying that, it is a very good bottle of KS.

I am very glad I have enough American Spirit to see me through a long time!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Is there any rhyme or reason to all of the Wild Turkey brands?
    How does know what to look for? (edit: I realise that most of these are on there website, but MDS14 and T15 are not)
    There's plenty more than what you have listed, Attila.......and I think it really comes down to marketing.
    They have done a few exclusive releases for DFS Galleria now and older bottlings that are no longer available.

Is AS15 and MSD14 really worth 3 times the price of Rare Breed?
    Probably not. The current Rare Breed is fantastic bourbon at a great price. The others are just limited release so WT think they can get the big bucks, and they have no trouble selling them.

Anyone want to sponsor a tasting between 17 yr, T15, MDS 14 and AS 15? I will be more than happy to attend and supply proper glassware.
    If you can find a WT17 at a decent price and you can get MDS14 for $90, I will definitely sponsor a tasting...if you feel like coming to Australia!

Scott
    Last edited by HighTower; 07-16-2008 at 14:29.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Virtuoso

We recently did an informal tasting of Tribute, AS and KS. I preferred the AS over the other two, but it is important to note all were excellent. I felt the AS was very well balanced, had an excellent and long finish and a very nice back end sweetness. Tribute, also very good was a bit dryer to the palate and a bit tighter. By far the KS was the best value but as expected had less concentration of flavor, a bit less viscous mouth feel, shorter finish and less complexity.

For the price KS is a tough bottle bourbon to find fault with. For something special AS won't disappoint and IMO will command even a higher premium over the next year or two.
    Last edited by HighTower; 07-16-2008 at 14:29.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

This one catches me on a cash-strapped month. So unless I find a bar where I can get a pour (not likely) I will be missing out on the WTAS... for now.
    Last edited by HighTower; 07-16-2008 at 14:30.

Connoisseur

Okay, I will get the MDS 15 and tell you guys my impression in the next couple of days. I am trying to imagine a bourbon experience toping the one I recently had with WTRB and having a difficult time of it.
    Last edited by HighTower; 07-16-2008 at 14:30.