Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Hello from the Motor City!

I'm new here and pretty much new to bourbon ('cept for a little Jim Bean back in my college days). My name is Rob, I'm 41 and live/work in metro Detroit.

Coming from a Tequila background and a small dip into Scotch, I'm amazed at how reasonable bourbon is! I've almost felt guilty at what some bottles cost.

So far, I've only had Heaven Hill (not so good, but nice to try to have a low-level baseline to compare against) and Elijah Craig 12 (which I liked quite a bit). I am busy acquiring a stockpile that I hope to start in on soon.

Thanks to everyone here for this wealth of info! I hope to be able to contribute something of worth before too long.

Irreverent One

Re: Hello from the Motor City!

Hello Rob -

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze67 View Post
    I'm amazed at how reasonable bourbon is!
    Indeed. I myself have never lost an argument with it.

I've almost felt guilty at what some bottles cost.
    If that's a problem for you, you can contribute to the Guilty Bourbon Drinkers Fund. I'll send you the address.

So far, I've only had Heaven Hill (not so good, but nice to try to have a low-level baseline to compare against)
    Which particular HH?

and Elijah Craig 12 (which I liked quite a bit).
    Made by Heaven Hill, but older than most expressions of their product.

Welcome to SB.com!
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 07-16-2008 at 11:28.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Welcome aboard purplehaze67, if that is your real name

We are getting quite a crowd here on SB.com from Michigan.
    I can't keep up with all that we have.
    Our MI ringleader is Tony AKA ACDetroit, I'm sure he will will welcome you and invite you over to taste his large bourbon selection.
    Which makes me think, we need to get all the MI people together sometime and officially christian our MI Bourbon Hounds congregation.

Maybe a "Gazebo in MI" event?
    ovh

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Hello Rob -

If that's a problem for you, you can contribute to the Guilty Bourbon Drinkers Fund. I'll send you the address.
    Almost guilty enough...but I'll let you know if I edge over the borderline so I can get that contribution out!

Which particular HH?
    80 proof, gold label, about $7 here in MI.

http://www.whiskeysammlung.de/Bilder...mal%20gold.jpg

Does this particular bottling have a distinct name? Or just 80 proof gold label?

Made by Heaven Hill, but older than most expressions of their product.

Welcome to SB.com!
    Thanks!

Yeah, that aging did wonders (assuming it's the same base for both products). Much, much more enjoyable to me than the HH.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Welcome aboard purplehaze67, if that is your real name

We are getting quite a crowd here on SB.com from Michigan.
    I can't keep up with all that we have.
    Our MI ringleader is Tony AKA ACDetroit, I'm sure he will will welcome you and invite you over to taste his large bourbon selection.
    Which makes me think, we need to get all the MI people together sometime and officially christian our MI Bourbon Hounds congregation.

Maybe a "Gazebo in MI" event?
    That would be cool! I'd be happy to contribute, although I'm sure everything I have is old hat to all you seasoned vets.

Guru

Did I hear the word "Gazebo" mentioned? Might have to buy a plane ticket for that.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Advanced Taster

Welcome ph67! I'm new here, too ... and also new to the bourbon enthusiast fraternity. Much to learn, but the educational experience will be infinitely more interesting than any classroom.
    Jay

DAMN! Another newbie from Michigan. I'm sorry Rob, but I wouldn't count on finding much out there. Tony and his army have probably already scoured every corner of the state, so don't get your hopes up. But seriously, Tony and the gang up there are good people, and I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction. It's all good. Welcome, and I hope you like it here, and I hope you have some fun. I know I do. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Rob and I have been chatting all day today, he's a great guy and lived down in my old stomping grounds, so he's got that going for him...which is nice!

I'm thinking Saturday the 26th my place for any newbies or others that feel like chillin with some bourbon and good company (not me, the rest of you guys).

So Rob as I said early this morning, welcome to SB.com there is a great deal of knowledge on this board. I learn something new every day here and find that just wonderful. Open that stockpile up and see what you like, then stock up on your favorites. Or come by try it all here and we can go hunt you some down.

Joe I could buy it all! I had to leave some on the shelves, just remember to ask for a business card for the store and write down what they had on the back once you get in the car !

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Taster

Yeah, it's about time to start creating room for future acquisitions! I try to limit my at-home drinking, since one can turn into two, and into too many too easily for me. I'll be out this weekend, and will take something along and see how it goes.

Likely a mid-range bottle, maybe Old Forester Signature or Weller Reserve...something that's not going to be wasted if it ends up mixed with Coke along the way.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!