Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Bacon-Infused Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    One thing I learned from living in Kentucky for nine years is that everything is better with bacon.
    You are right Chuck, everything (including the nasty parts) is / are better with bacon!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    As for how it's done, I looked at her method with vodka. It's funny, because every other step is "eat some bacon." It's basically just cooked bacon--not quite crispy, she says--left to soak in spirit (vodka, bourbon) for some period of time. I think it's safe to say that each is infused with the other. The creator also tends to use the post-soak bacon as a garnish. I'm sure nothing is wasted.
    Thanks Chuck, I'll give it a try. How long should I let it soak? Does it need to be refrigerated?

Virtuoso

If you watch the video in the link in the first post, you'll see the bacon fat method, which is mixing bacon fat into the bourbon, probably heated enough to get it liquid but not enough to make alcohol evaporate. Then chill the mixture so the bacon fat rises to the top and solidifies. After removing the fat and straining the bourbon, you get magical bacon bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    I love bacon and I love bourbon. I understand how to get a bourbon flavor into bacon, but how do you infuse the bacon into the bourbon? Or do you buy it that way? Side note: we had hickory smoked B-B-Q pork chops last night that had been marinated in a bourbon sauce. Hard to tell which gave the best flavor, hickory or bourbon, but combined it was superb.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Thanks Chuck, I'll give it a try. How long should I let it soak? Does it need to be refrigerated?
    Refrigerated, yes, for about 5 days.

Guru

Going to give it a shot with some Old Weller Antique..... yummy

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    If you watch the video in the link in the first post, you'll see the bacon fat method, which is mixing bacon fat into the bourbon, probably heated enough to get it liquid but not enough to make alcohol evaporate. Then chill the mixture so the bacon fat rises to the top and solidifies. After removing the fat and straining the bourbon, you get magical bacon bourbon.
    They just showed this method on Diners and Dives. They put 3 oz of rendered smoked bacon fat (heated slightly) into what looked like approx. 20 oz of Jim Beam White. Bartender said to let sit 6 hours, chill, strain and serve.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTexan View Post
    They just showed this method on Diners and Dives. They put 3 oz of rendered smoked bacon fat (heated slightly) into what looked like approx. 20 oz of Jim Beam White. Bartender said to let sit 6 hours, chill, strain and serve.
    <shudder>

Die, evil thread! Die, die, die!!!
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Enthusiast

My experience with a few barkeeps tries at fat-washed or bacon-infused bourbon is that it fails to catch one of the key essences we think of when we think of bacon--the volatilized smell of hot bacon fat. I find most of the infusions to be kind of clunky and flat. Now, garnishing a well made old-fashioned (i.e. no muddled fruit) with a small slice of just-off-the-sizzle bacon? Now that's a combination I'd be willing to try.
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Going to give it a shot with some Old Weller Antique..... yummy
    Did it, tried it, dumped it.

-------

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

This idea sounds a bit odd although there was a fashion 50 years ago for the bullshot, which is beef bouillon and vodka.

When you think about it, the idea to blend bacon and whiskey is not so far off. An even closer idea may be the old hot-buttered rum.

Still, I'd rather drink my spirits with the food (alongside).

Gary