Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: What do you think of the new Bulleit ad?

Is it hidden behind that bottle of Bulleit?

Enthusiast

A half-brained add from a bourbon I don't like anyway.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    First impression is that it will get you tipsy.
    See how the bourbon in the glass and bottle looks like it is tilted?
    Kind of agree with Oscar ... looks crooked.

I think it's a good ad, though, and I'm in the ad business. The copy matches the packaging. It looks like a bourbon that has been around a while, weathered the storms, etc. I haven't looked up what they were shooting for, but I'm sure it's an allusion to their story of heritage and tradition. Almost all bourbons tell that, even when they don't have any.

I've always thought Bulleit was good bourbon. This ad might convince a few people of that. Not bad work.
    ----------
    Jason Falls
    Father, Husband, Bourbon Fan
    (I work with Beam Global, but am here for conversation, not advertising.)

I cheated and looked first. My response is still the same.

They're trying to make a buck.

As most of you can tell by my member name, I like fishing and bowling. One thing I've learned over the years, is that a lot of fishing lures weren't meant to catch just fish. Some were meant to catch fishermen too. Pretty colors, different finishes, exotic names, something completely different or out of the ordinary, catchy advertising. These are all meant to "catch" the eye of the fisherman first. Doesn't matter if they really work or not, as long as the pros say they're great. Same with advertising or marketing in other areas. Take bourbon for instance. Some people do not care a lot for Maker's Mark, regardless of the taste of their bourbon. From what I have read here and elsewhere, part of the reason is their marketing/advertising. Bulleit is just the next in line. A new idea. A new slogan. A different picture. Catch the eye of the bourbon drinker, or better yet, the non-bourbon drinker. Let's make him/her a bourbon drinker. Make them think that this is the next best thing to come along. Doesn't matter if it is, or if it isn't. Doesn't matter if their claim to fame is completely true or not. It's all a matter of perception. People here at SB, or that have a broader understanding of bourbon, might raise an eyebrow at this. What the heck. Live and let live I say. Bulleit is a decent bourbon, and I will probably buy another bottle in the future. Their advertising won't influence me one way or the other. Besides, if this draws attention away from a truly great bourbon, all the better for the true bourbon lover. Or is it? You never can tell. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Do they mean that of all the great bourbons out there this one ranks last place among them? :]
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I'm quite sure it's supposed to be just far off enough to get you to notice it...but not far off enough to be obvious as you would then just pass over it...like seeing a picture on the wall and trying to figure out if it's actually crooked or not...it makes you look at it longer...and of course looking at it longer imprints it into your mind better.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    As most of you can tell by my member name, I like fishing and bowling. You never can tell. Joe

Damn Joe, and I thought you were one of those guys that enjoys his aquarium with exotic fish!!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by gothbat View Post
    Do they mean that of all the great bourbons out there this one ranks last place among them? :]
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I hadn't looked at it that way. That may be a valid point!
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3862&dateline=1216772  641 I love the smell of bourbon in the morning!

Guru

It doesn't matter if I like the ad or not.

I don't like the bourbon.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Trippah and Admin

Perhaps the non-level bourbon in the bottle and glass is a subliminal way to tell us that their product is going downhill?

That's a shame since I do like it.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?