Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Sad Day - Bourbon Spillage

So I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace on my way home yesterday. I forgot about the bottle being in the car altogether until tonight when my wife and I got in the car to go to town (I was driving my wife's car). That is when we were hit with the strong smell of bourbon. It turns out the bottle had fallen off the backseat and dislodged the cork. 4/5 of the bottle had ended up on her seat cushions - it had just barely missed spilling all over her "teacher bag" with all her stuff for her kindergarten class.

I am bummed because I lost most of a bottle of good bourbon. She is upset because her car smells like alcohol.

2 questions: has anyone else had an unfortunate incident like this? Does anyone know a good way to get the smell out?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Sad Day - Bourbon Spillage

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post

2 questions: has anyone else had an unfortunate incident like this? Does anyone know a good way to get the smell out?

You wnt to get the smell out??? I wish my truck smelled like bourbon...

Yeah you'll probably need some kind of carpet cleaner...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

I bought a bottle of Pappy 20 for a friend several months ago and gave it to him when we met for dinner. He put it in the back of his SUV. When he dropped his niece off that night and opened the SUV back to get her stuff the Pappy rolled out onto her driveway; needless to say the bottle didn't survive the fall. He said he was tempted to get down and lick it up. S##t happens.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Taster

This happened to me once. I sat my truck in the sun with the windows down and loaded the spill area with febreze. the next day you could only smell the febreze. I'm with Timothy, wish it could smell like bourbon all the time but I bet the police would have given me a hard time if I were to be pulled over!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    I bought a bottle of Pappy 20 for a friend several months ago and gave it to him when we met for dinner. He put it in the back of his SUV. When he dropped his niece off that night and opened the SUV back to get her stuff the Pappy rolled out onto her driveway; needless to say the bottle didn't survive the fall. He said he was tempted to get down and lick it up. S##t happens.
    oh man... with BT I was just upset... with PVW20 I would certainly cry.

Guru

This discussion reminded me of a long-ago post by Bettye Jo Boone, whose work at Heaven Hill Distillery ensures that the aroma of liquor follows her home after every shift.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen a post from her in a while. I wonder whether she's gone back to school for yet another professional certification.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

I had this happen with a bottle of Knob Creek, forgot I had it in the car.
    The heat got to it and the cork popped out, but I did enjoy the smell for at least a month!! Best car freshener ever!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Advanced Taster

Never lost a bottle but I've lost several pours due to wagging dog tails.
    Tom Sangster
    Winterville, GA

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    oh man... with BT I was just upset... with PVW20 I would certainly cry.
    I'm crying right now
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

I had a somewhat similar experience a few years ago. Found a bottle of BMH 17 at a very attractive price. I'm on the way home and some idiot cuts me off (of course without any kind of signal). I slam on the brakes to avoid a collision and the BMH rockets forward off the seat. Broke the neck on the bottle and, as I tried to get to the shoulder as quickly as possible, I got to watch the contents gurgle onto my floor mats.

I still get a tear when I think about it.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."