Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hello from a Brit

Hello all

I am new to this forum - came across it as a result of a google search a few weeks ago. I am only a casual whiskey/whisky drinker but I thought I should register and find out what I can learn.

I am 34 years old, from England but currently living in France right next to the borders with Germany and Switzerland. That's handy because most spirits are significantly cheaper in Germany

Richard

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Hello from a Brit

Welcome to the board Richard.

Don't be shy to ask questions and contribute your bourbon thoughts.

Many here would be interested to know the selection you get in Eastern France and Wester Germany. You probably have bottles there we can't get domestically for example, and possibly bottles not seen in our market for some time.

We've heard reports too that some French and German makers are making some interesting artisan whiskeys in the American style especially rye whiskeys from Germany... (Genuine rye whiskey and bourbon are two peas in a pod you might say - the Canadian whisky style, sometimes also called rye, is quite different).

Gary

Guru

Welcome aboard.... lots of good bourbon floating in your area... look forward to your findings

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Hello from a Brit

Hi, Richard. Welcome to SB.com.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Welcome to another member from across the pond. I always find posts from members from other countries around the world interesting. It's nice to get to hear things from a completely different viewpoint. Looking forward to your posts. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Thanks a lot for your welcome messages. I've been busy with work the last few days.

It's true that this area has a few distilleries. I know they are used to making schnaps or "eau de vie" so they have the stills. I came across Meyer's www.distillerie-meyer.fr/ which I assume is based on scotch. Although it's distilled locally it's not cheap so I haven't tried it yet.

Otherwise, we can find Jim Beam, Four Roses Yellow label, and a few Jack Daniels products in the supermarkets (they stock a lot of the standard No7 especially). We can get a few Canadian whiskies and a couple of Irish. There's loads of scotch too, all the well known brands.

In addition, there are a few bottles of american and scotch which I've never heard of. These are really cheap. I'll try to note down what they are and see if anyone knows about them.

Thanks
    Richard