Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate cola

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

I hate cola

In my life, I have never had a cola or cola drink that I even remotely found palatable.

Then I had a bourbon (WT 8 Yr) and coke on Friday. It was pretty darn good. I am gonna hafta have a couple more of those.

Taster

Re: I hate cola

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    In my life, I have never had a cola or cola drink that I even remotely found palatable.

Then I had a bourbon (WT 8 Yr) and coke on Friday. It was pretty darn good. I am gonna hafta have a couple more of those.
    Now why would you go and ruin a good bourbon by adding coke to it?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jpact View Post
    I agree! Use a bad bourbon like Makers Mark for that!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

If you don't like Coke, you can try this. Don't know how it goes with bourbon, though: (Probably would help scotch )

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/bu...id=inform_artr

Just arrived in your neighborhood!

Cheers!

JOE

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    I agree! Use a bad bourbon like Makers Mark for that!
    Sounds a lot like a prima-dona, wine-snob forum, guys. Sorry. But, we don't do this here (or, at least, we didn't used to).
    I hope others will back up my creds as being a full-fledged 'bourbonista' -- but I like bourbon-and-(diet)cola, along with hundreds of thousands of other casual bourbon drinkers. We often forget that cliches become such by being so ubiquitously popular.
    If you're going to make a mixed drink, or marinade steak, or make peanut brittle, use the best ingredients available. If that happens to be George T. Stagg, so be it. I happen to have enjoyed some Very Old Fitzgerald BIB 8yo with cola:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...&postcount=489
    Enjoying bourbon is the goal here. However you do it is up to you. Those who pooh-pooh mixing it are just denying themselves some mighty fine experiences. Or making themselves feel better at their own expense.

Once you pop the cork, it ain't worth nuthin'!

P.S.: In honor of this thread -- and because I'm an ornery ol' cuss -- I've just poured some diet Big K (Kroger) diet cola and some 86.8-proof Old Fitz Prime from a Lexington (the horse) decanter from 1968 (wheater with cola, rye with ginger ale). Pretty damned good for 'ruined' bourbon!

Tim
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 07-29-2008 at 18:53.

Advanced Taster

Hear, hear, TNbourbon ... and MM isn't "bad" bourbon. Not as good, perhaps, but certainly not bad.
    Jay

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Sounds a lot like a prima-dona, wine-snob forum, guys. Sorry. But, we don't do this here (or, at least, we didn't used to).
    = good natured joke.

That's why they are there.

Personally, I drink so much freakin' diet soda during the day that the last thing I want to do is pop another one when I get home, even as a mixer. But hey, I'm a live and let live kind of guy. 'twas just a joke, officer.

Enthusiast

I agree with Tim, as long as you're enjoying 'bourbon' whether neat or with some type of post mix we all have the same fondness for this heavenly beverage.

I personally was introduced to bourbon & cola initially, if i'd been introduced to it on the rocks i guess this would be my preference. Although after saying this whenever i am drinking a better than standard shelf bourbon i let it breath for a bit, take a deep lungful of the character and also a good taste of if before mixing just to experience the rawness before putting it with ice, water or cola. I never would have experienced it this way until i went to an international whiskey tasting. It certainly opened my palate to a different way of tasting whiskeys. CHEERS!

I like Coke, thought I don't tend to drink too much of it these days. Every now and then I go on a vanilla coke binge.
    I used to mix my bourbon with coke, but now I can't stand it. These days if I am mixing it is with either Schweppes Lemonade or L&P.

And I don't think it matters what it is...I find a better pour makes a better mixer.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

I drink so much freakin' diet soda during the day
    Why would you possibly do something like that?