Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate cola

Connoisseur

I hate cola

In my life, I have never had a cola or cola drink that I even remotely found palatable.

Then I had a bourbon (WT 8 Yr) and coke on Friday. It was pretty darn good. I am gonna hafta have a couple more of those.

Taster

Re: I hate cola

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    In my life, I have never had a cola or cola drink that I even remotely found palatable.

Then I had a bourbon (WT 8 Yr) and coke on Friday. It was pretty darn good. I am gonna hafta have a couple more of those.
    Now why would you go and ruin a good bourbon by adding coke to it?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jpact View Post
    I agree! Use a bad bourbon like Makers Mark for that!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

If you don't like Coke, you can try this. Don't know how it goes with bourbon, though: (Probably would help scotch )

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/bu...id=inform_artr

Just arrived in your neighborhood!

Cheers!

JOE

Quote Originally Posted by jpact View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    I agree! Use a bad bourbon like Makers Mark for that!
    Sounds a lot like a prima-dona, wine-snob forum, guys. Sorry. But, we don't do this here (or, at least, we didn't used to).
    I hope others will back up my creds as being a full-fledged 'bourbonista' -- but I like bourbon-and-(diet)cola, along with hundreds of thousands of other casual bourbon drinkers. We often forget that cliches become such by being so ubiquitously popular.
    If you're going to make a mixed drink, or marinade steak, or make peanut brittle, use the best ingredients available. If that happens to be George T. Stagg, so be it. I happen to have enjoyed some Very Old Fitzgerald BIB 8yo with cola:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...&postcount=489
    Enjoying bourbon is the goal here. However you do it is up to you. Those who pooh-pooh mixing it are just denying themselves some mighty fine experiences. Or making themselves feel better at their own expense.

Once you pop the cork, it ain't worth nuthin'!

P.S.: In honor of this thread -- and because I'm an ornery ol' cuss -- I've just poured some diet Big K (Kroger) diet cola and some 86.8-proof Old Fitz Prime from a Lexington (the horse) decanter from 1968 (wheater with cola, rye with ginger ale). Pretty damned good for 'ruined' bourbon!

Tim
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 07-29-2008 at 18:53.

Advanced Taster

Hear, hear, TNbourbon ... and MM isn't "bad" bourbon. Not as good, perhaps, but certainly not bad.
    Jay

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    bad bourbon like Makers Mark for that!
    A couple of weeks ago I spent a fine overly humid Tokyo evening outside with several beautiful ladies and a quadruple MM on the rocks. The MM made me feel a little wicked, but by no means bad. Maybe more than a little.

Advanced Taster

I like bourbon and coke, rye and coke better, but I don't think there is a reason to use a good bourbon in cooking or mixed drinks.

Let me rephrase that. I don't think there is a reason to use an expensive bourbon in cooking or mixed drinks, no matter how good the bourbon is. I like to keep it on the small end of the bourbon price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesh View Post
    ...I don't think there is a reason to use a good bourbon in cooking or mixed drinks.

Let me rephrase that. I don't think there is a reason to use an expensive bourbon in cooking or mixed drinks, no matter how good the bourbon is...
    I can live with that. But let me repeat, too, my chief point: once you've opened the bottle, it has no value. You can't return it for refund; you can't sell it. Granted, replacement cost becomes a factor, but I find a 750ml of Stagg lasts me the better part of a year. I don't WANT to drink it every night. So, in that sense, replacement of Stagg may be less pressing than replacing my EW Black Label, which I may go through in a month.

I drink Coke, Pepsi or RC. My favorite non-cola is Sierra Mist Free (diet), and I occasionally have some Ginger Ale too. I most often have my bourbon with one of these. The funny thing is, (and I think I've posted this on another thread somewhere along the way) different bourbons taste different with each of these. MM and Bulleit tastes better with Sierra Mist. Weller SR is good with Pepsi. Knob Creek and Weller Antique with Coke. Old Forester Signature 100 with RC. Templeton Rye with Ginger Ale. Etc.etc. etc...... The only bourbon that I have, that for me tastes great any way I drink it, is ER 10/90. I drink it with a mixer, water, on the rocks, or straight up. This bourbon is my favorite all around bourbon. Joe

PS Thanks Tim
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 07-29-2008 at 20:09.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"