Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate cola

Enthusiast

Re: I hate cola

A fellow SB.com member enlightened me a few months back as to the use of Root Beer as a mixer. As Joe said, its taste can vary from bourbon to bourbon and the recommendation I received was for Old Forester 100. It can be quite good and I am also trying it with some other quality pours.

Dr. Pepper can also be a good mixer from time to time. You never know til you try.
    ____
    Chris

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    In my life, I have never had a cola or cola drink that I even remotely found palatable.

Then I had a bourbon (WT 8 Yr) and coke on Friday. It was pretty darn good. I am gonna hafta have a couple more of those.
    I love cola of many brands today (not with bourbon, however), but it wasn't always so.

On a scale of one to 10 the trauma of my first drink of Coke as a youngster is about a six. I had been warned not to "let it go up your nose". I had no idea what those stupid grown-ups were talking about. If they could do it, so could I. ("If they can take it, so can I. You poured it for her, now pour it for me. Pour it Sam, pour it.")

I tipped that icy cold, stubby, six-ounce bottle, leaned my head back and took a mighty swig. As the carbonation took effect inside my mouth, the next thing I knew there was a terrible burning sensation in areas of my nasal passages I had never been conscious of before. For a second or two I thought I was going to die.

To this day I still don't know how that happened or why older, wiser folks could predict that it was going to happen. I don't recall how long I waited before trying it again. That was the only time I had the problem.

BTW, having turned age 65 not long ago I am now officially an old fart, which entitles me to interject extraneous posts at will (at least until the Moderators say otherwise). My role model is the guy in the old commercial for Henry Weinhard's beer; he confused that brand name with a variety of cattle. "I used to run Henry Weinhards out around Saragosa."

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur

I am not a big soda drinker, maybe three cans a month. But every once in a while I crave a drink of Coke like crazy, most often late at night?

I don't usually mix my Bourbon with more than a couple ice cubes, though I have tried it both with Coke and Ginger ale. I have to agree with Tim, enjoy it however you enjoy it...that just seems like a no-brainer to me.

Speaking of soda, well carbonated water anyway. My 21 year-old returned from his Russia-Estonia-Ukraine trip last week. He says he when he bought bottled water they would always ask, "With Gas or Without?" Now he is hooked on Soda Water? I guess he could have returned with worse habits...
    Todd

Advanced Taster

Ladies and Gents, I meant no offensive if any was taken about the MM comment. Yes, I dislike MM and it reminds me of a box of cracker jacks or pancake syrup, but I meant no disrespect to anyone. Also, I do not mix any whisk(e)y and drink them neat. Am I a snob or a purist?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Ladies and Gents, I meant no offensive if any was taken about the MM comment. Yes, I dislike MM and it reminds me of a box of cracker jacks or pancake syrup, but I meant no disrespect to anyone. Also, I do not mix any whisk(e)y and drink them neat. Am I a snob or a purist?
    Last question first: Nope. You're just like the rest of us; you enjoy it your own way.

Funny thing is, I love both Cracker Jacks and maple syrup, but I'm not fond of Maker's Mark. Maybe with a dash of maple syrup...

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Sounds a lot like a prima-dona, wine-snob forum, guys. Sorry. But, we don't do this here (or, at least, we didn't used to).
    = good natured joke.

That's why they are there.

Personally, I drink so much freakin' diet soda during the day that the last thing I want to do is pop another one when I get home, even as a mixer. But hey, I'm a live and let live kind of guy. 'twas just a joke, officer.

Enthusiast

I agree with Tim, as long as you're enjoying 'bourbon' whether neat or with some type of post mix we all have the same fondness for this heavenly beverage.

I personally was introduced to bourbon & cola initially, if i'd been introduced to it on the rocks i guess this would be my preference. Although after saying this whenever i am drinking a better than standard shelf bourbon i let it breath for a bit, take a deep lungful of the character and also a good taste of if before mixing just to experience the rawness before putting it with ice, water or cola. I never would have experienced it this way until i went to an international whiskey tasting. It certainly opened my palate to a different way of tasting whiskeys. CHEERS!

I like Coke, thought I don't tend to drink too much of it these days. Every now and then I go on a vanilla coke binge.
    I used to mix my bourbon with coke, but now I can't stand it. These days if I am mixing it is with either Schweppes Lemonade or L&P.

And I don't think it matters what it is...I find a better pour makes a better mixer.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jpact View Post
    I drink so much freakin' diet soda during the day
    Why would you possibly do something like that?

Apprentice

Well I know I ain't no snob and I sure ain't no purist but come Aug. 14th (my 38th wedding anniversary I am going to commit sacrilege. It's going to be a double shot of Pappy 23 and regular coke with about 6 ice cubes. Honest injun, it's going to happen! maybe