Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Labrot and Graham

Does anyone know how L&G plans on converting Woodford Reserve from BF produced bourbon to L&G produced bourbon? Will they call this new bourbon "Woodford Reserve" or give it a different name? I would think that with the success of the current WR they would be a little concerned about the change. Will the new stuff be made from the same mash bill as the old? Also, last time I was at the L&G distillery the guide said that they are currently aging a 4 grain bourbon, but didn't go into detail. Does anyone know anything about this or when it will be released? Thanks for your expertise!

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Labrot and Graham

Jeff according to information I recieved last year on the L&G tour they have no intention of changing Woodford Reserve at all from the way they are doing it now. It's selling and is well a respected small batch bourbon.The new pot-stilled bourbons will have new names. The new bourbon isn't quite ready yet and will have to age a bit longer, but it should be getting close.The four grain mashbill you spoke of is news to me, and quite exciting. We should be able to get the skinny on things very shortly when we have our special StraightBourbon.Com tasting event on Sept 19th.

Guru

Four-Grain Mashbill?

Does "four-grain" mean both rye and wheat?

Is this unique in today's market? Has it been done in the past?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Administrator in exile

Re: Four-Grain Mashbill?

Yes. Our tour guide said that it was a four grain bill including both rye and wheat. I have heard that this was done by some distilleries prior to prohibition, but not much since. Should be interesting. If anyone has any contacts at L&G it would be great to hear the whole story.

Connoisseur

From my keeping my ear to the ground, some in the industry have opened up to experimentation. Buffalo Trace is clearly one that is. With an expensive remodelled historic distillery Brown-Forman will want to build on their success of Woodford Reserve with somethinig great at Labrot & Graham. Experimentation is one way to do that. Of course copper pot stills themselves are one way.

Lincoln Henderson is a bright guy (and nice, too!) and we'll look for a lot from B-F

**DONOTDELETE**

HUZZAH! GREG! Lincoln Henderson is a font of wisdom. Our tasting event there will be supercalifragilisticexpealidosious! ( or something like that - you try to spell it damn it! And *NO* cheating!)

Disciple

SUPERCALIFRAJILISTICEXPEALIDOCIOUS!!

at least thats how I would spell it. or you could jsut bave said:

"Our tasting event there will be BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!".

TomC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

a bit off topic but follows the thread

Since this forum is about bourbon I normally don't mention other spirits. But one thing that Lincoln Henderson and I share is interest in tequila. Lincoln spent a lot of time developing a product for B-F. If you think most folks know little about bourbon (which is pretty true) you should see the lack of understanding of good tequila. It pains me to buy somebody a shot of excellent tequila and have them "shoot" it. Just as it pains me to see someone take a great bourbon and do the same. That's why my premium stuff never sits out where just anybody might throw it into Coke or Sprite (no offense to those of you who do, please use your own bottle.)

One of the most successful bar owners I know told a class of mine (a bit to my chagrin since it was a class) that drinking good spirits is like good sex.... it should be well appreciated and last a long time. Amen to that.

Connoisseur

Jeff,
    My conversations with Chris Morris and Lincoln Henderson tell me there are two camps in Brown-Forman when it comes to dealing with the new whiskey.

The First Camp believes that Woodford Reserve is a fantastic product selling well the way it is and they should not mess with it at all. The problem is Mr. Brown wants pot still whiskey in the product so they have started putting some in in small amounts. A new label and name would be needed for new products.

The other camp believes they should change the name of the distillery to Woodford Resrve Distillery, Labrot and Graham Proprietors. They would then name every product Woodford Reserve with a caviat such as "Woodford Reserve Wheated Bourbn" or "Woodford Reserve Four Grain Bourbon".

In Brown-Forman tradition, it will take a long time to decide what they want to do, but you can be sure they will consider every angle and make the choice best for their sales. You can not argue with their past successes.

Mike Veach

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Woodford Resrve Distillery, Labrot and Graham Proprietors.
    It would have been a good idea except it's been done.

"Lem Motlow"

That camp needs to camp, and think a little more