Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Taster

Re: Labrot and Graham

When I spoke with Lincoln Henderson a couple of months back, he basically reiterated what many have already said here. The potstill is ready, but no one expected that Woodford Reserve would be selling like it is today. His point was that if they were to release the potstill now, they would only have enough to service a couple of major shops in KY.

What he has mentioned doing is blending potstill with the Old Forester in increasing amounts, as more whiskey matures. Eventually, (say 5 years) the entire whiskey would be 100% potstill.

As far as the 4 grain mash goes, he only mentioned in the last issue of Malt Advocate that he has been experimenting with it. You must take into account, he was in a world-class BS session with every other KY distiller, so "experimenting" may just mean he though about it or made some sample mashes. Certainly a four-grain mash would be revolutionary in the world of whiskey, though, in all honesty, I don't see any benefit to it. The smokiness/spiciness of the rye would overpower the wheat to the point that it would become another filler grain like barley. I have yet to see any rye recipe Bourbon where the malted barley character is even evident and I don't see how wheat would be any different in a mashbill including rye.

Administrator in exile

I was told last time there that they were aging some 4-grain bourbon, but not how much or how old it was. I personally am quite interested to see how this will turn out. You're right that the rye would overpower the wheat, but maybe the wheat will mellow the rye? And of course it all depends on what ratio of wheat to rye is used in the mashbill.

Taster

It will be interesting to see! I think that the wheat would have to be in excess of the rye by a minimum (guesstimate) of 25% in order to feel any effect whatsoever. That then begs the question, is it worth it. If you have 70% corn, 10% barley, 13% wheat and 7% rye. So you have to lower the corn, which may affect the overall taste. In essence, I think you will end up with a rye or wheated recipe bourbon. We shall see! Lincoln is a good guy and a great distiller, if anyone can make it work, he can!

Connoisseur

Just had lunch with Chris Morris. They have not released it to the press yet, but the distillery name has been changed to Woodford Reserve Distillery, Labrot and Graham Proprietors.

Mike Veach

Enthusiast

Hi Mike,

Any new info from Chris regarding their plans for the distillery's pot-stilled Bourbon?

Bob

Connoisseur

Sorry Bob,
    We were talking about the Birthday Bourbon for the next couple of years and the distilling at Mt. Vernon next week, but not the pot still whiskey. I will ask him when I see him at Mt Vernon next week.
    Mike Veach

Disciple

Well thats unfortunate, but not as bad as it could be. I liked the name Labrot & Graham as the distillery name, and I think Chuck said it is one of the traditional names. I have found myself leaning old-school on a lot of these choices recently.

TomC

Connoisseur

Tom,
    I agree with you, but I understand why it was done. To have people walk in to a liquor store and mispronounce your name is not what a salesman wants hear. This does lead to the next question and that is how are they going to handle the different expression from the Woodford Reserve Distillery. It looks like to me that they will be all Woodford Reserve with a qualifier such as "Four Grain" or "Wheat Recipe".
    Mike Veach

Guru

Tom,

Well thats unfortunate, but not as bad as it could be.
    You got that right. I was steeling myself against the possibility of "Labrot & Graham Distillery, Lem Woodford, Proprietor".

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield