Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Which Bottle Have You Laid To Rest?

Jon, Mark and Robbo's "The smokey peaty one"

Enthusiast

I just recently kicked my Balvenie 17-year Sherry Cask, 1st release.

A better Sherry-matured Speyside you'll be hard-pressed to find!

Toward the end of the bottle, it started displaying a very interesting fruity tang, almost like a touch of apricot.

Anyway, it's gone now, and it'll be hard to find another one-- and even if I do, I probably won't be able to afford it.

Well, it was a truly wonderful product. I hope Balvenie releases one in the future like it. Oh sure, MacAllan 18-year is great-- but it costs 35% more!

I guess it is time to move on to something else-- like my Glenmorangie LaSanta, perhaps?
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Jon, Mark and Robbo's "The smokey peaty one"
    How was it? That's a bottle that tempts me every time I'm in the liquor store. I'm a huge fan of the big-time peaty island whiskys, and I'm afraid that this will be a milder, less-satisfying version.

Taster

I just killed a Crown Royal Cask 16. I'll be honest; it was way too smooth and sweet for my tastes. A very fine whskey, but too candyish for me. Ready for the blasphemy? I allowed a friend of mine to mix it with coke this weekend. I was just ready to be done with it. I want my whiskey to taste like whiskey, not a snow cone.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jpact View Post
    How was it? That's a bottle that tempts me every time I'm in the liquor store. I'm a huge fan of the big-time peaty island whiskys, and I'm afraid that this will be a milder, less-satisfying version.
    I'm not the one you asked, but I had a bottle of it as well. I bought it because I'd never had it. It was good, but I always say there's no such thing as bad whisk(e)y, only over priced whisk(e)y. I won't buy another bottle at the price I paid (over $50). I tried my best to figure out which distillery it came from. Robbo claims to be a master distiller and none of the distilleries on Islay have a Robbo or Robert or anything else close, so it must be a highland. I've had two different peated Benriach and a Peated Tomintoul, and it's not similar to either of those. If you can afford it, try a bottle, your opinion may be different from mine.

Connoisseur

The Smokey Peaty One is a vatted malt (or as the SWA is trying to create a new name - a blended malt) made from Caol Ila, Laphroaig, Bunnahabhain, Highland Park, Ledaig and Bowmore.

Robbo is David Robertson from Macallan.

Stu I agree with you that at over $50 this is an easy pass, but at $30 I find their 3 offerings reasonalbly priced drinking whisk(e)y (can't call them all scotches since the Smooth Sweeter One blends Irish and Scotch.

Tom

Connoisseur

Last night I buried a JW Gold. To be honest, I really don't know why I love this bottling so much. It is super light and simple, but for some reason I really enjoy it. Thought I would pick up a replacement, but it was $99. I guess the bottle I have in my bunker will be my last unless I find a decent sale (somewhere around $60 which is what I paid for the last 2 bottles).

Tom

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jpact View Post
    Believe it or not it reminds me of Highland Park 12 with a good amount of peat! It is not overly complex, but for the money, I like it very much

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Last night I buried a JW Gold. To be honest, I really don't know why I love this bottling so much. It is super light and simple, but for some reason I really enjoy it. Thought I would pick up a replacement, but it was $99. I guess the bottle I have in my bunker will be my last unless I find a decent sale (somewhere around $60 which is what I paid for the last 2 bottles).

Tom
    Johnnie Walker Gold is simple? I've never tried it, but the brand isn't exactly known for simplicity. People knock JW because they're a popular mass-market brand, but the Black Label is easily one of the best blends I've tried. I'd love to try the Gold. Too bad it went up in price.

Last night I said goodbye to the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. Typically, I found the last glass the most enjoyable. Why couldn't I have enjoyed the rest of them that much?

Connoisseur

second bottle of EZRA B 12 year single barrel (#321) is gone!

i plan to grab the last of these (and of course, a different barrel if possible).

a real go-to bourbon. sad to see it gone
    HUP!