Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Which Bottle Have You Laid To Rest?

Quote Originally Posted by The Boozer View Post
    I try to stick with stuff that's readily available when discussing "the best of".
    Nothing wrong with that and it makes perfect sense. On the other hand, what's in the bunker doesn't get more readily available, so you can't blame someone for not jumping on the Corry wagon when they have a Provenance ready to sip.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

I finally emptied out a bottle of Longrow 14 finished for 3 years in Burgundy wood. Man, I just could not get into this bottle. I kept waiting for it to come around, or me to come around, but in the end I needed room in the cabinet so I had to put it down. The nose showed what I would describe as toenail dirt: you know when you clean out your toenails with your fingernails and you get that toefunk-marinated dirt smell all over your finger? That was the most prominent note on the nose for me. The palate was less grating with a little winey chocolate showing up, but all the malt character had just been stomped on by the Burgundy barrel IMO. Some decent fruit on the finish, but all behind a thick wall of dirty laundry water.

It just.... didn't work for me at all.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Which Bottle Have You Laid To Rest?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I finally emptied out a bottle of Longrow 14 finished for 3 years in Burgundy wood. Man, I just could not get into this bottle. I kept waiting for it to come around, or me to come around, but in the end I needed room in the cabinet so I had to put it down. The nose showed what I would describe as toenail dirt: you know when you clean out your toenails with your fingernails and you get that toefunk-marinated dirt smell all over your finger? That was the most prominent note on the nose for me. The palate was less grating with a little winey chocolate showing up, but all the malt character had just been stomped on by the Burgundy barrel IMO. Some decent fruit on the finish, but all behind a thick wall of dirty laundry water.

It just.... didn't work for me at all.
    That just sounds really really bad... "toefunk-marinated dirt" - yeeesch!

I like Springbank/Longrow and I appreciate their willingness to experiment - but some of these wine finished expressions are hit/miss.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 10-29-2013 at 12:39.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Aberfeldy 12 went dry this evening...been a very decent one...I'll likely replace it at some point.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Virtuoso

Late last night/early this morning, my first bottle of Balvenie Founders was laid to rest...glad I got a couple more in reserve.
    .....Merle Haggard

Guru

A few empties from these past few weeks (bottles seem to go faster around the holidays):

WLW '05, Saz18 '12, Willett 24 Rye (#637, 110pf), K&L Chieftains Mortlach 22, Glendronach 15 PX Single Cask, Hirsch 22 Rye

(X-Post: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...l=1#post387632 )

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    A few empties from these past few weeks (bottles seem to go faster around the holidays):

WLW '05, Saz18 '12, Willett 24 Rye (#637, 110pf), K&L Chieftains Mortlach 22, Glendronach 15 PX Single Cask, Hirsch 22 Rye

Ah, that Chieftains Mortlach brings back good memories. I keep finding IB Mortlach bottlings but none that seem to use first fill sherry so they all end up very pale.
    Last edited by MtnDew; 12-20-2013 at 15:03.

Virtuoso

First casualty of the holiday season: Knappogue Castle 12...not sure when & if it will be replaced...very good for an Irish but like most of them to me, too light. My wife really liked it so it may be just a matter of time before it reappears here...be on her purse though.
    .....Merle Haggard

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post

What would you charge me to move in to the spare room in your basement...assuming you have a spare room...and a basement, I guess.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    What would you charge me to move in to the spare room in your basement...assuming you have a spare room...and a basement, I guess.
    LOL - the bottles are actually in the basement ;-)