Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

New Georgia Moon Expressions

Did you ever expect to see that headline? Yep, Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey has apparently been going great guns and Heaven Hill is bringing out two line extensions, Georgia Moon Peach and Georgia Moon Lemonade.

Both will be classified as flavored whiskey, so they will be 70 proof and sweetened. The only other examples of flavored whiskey that I can think of are the Philips Union Cherry and Philips Union Vanilla.

Virtuoso

Re: New Georgia Moon Expressions

I hope this doesn't touch off a Bacardi/Absolut like frenzy of Coconut Whiskey, Currant Whiskey, Jalapeno Whiskey, etc.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I guess pretty soon Georgia Moon will be in a can with some cola and shipped of to Aussieland.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    ...Coconut Whiskey...
    My wife, who likes both bourbon and coconut rum, would fer sure want to try that.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

I'm surprised that they haven't followed the the beer industry and flavored some with lime!

Thomas

Advanced Taster

I hope this doesn't touch off a Bacardi/Absolut like frenzy of Coconut Whiskey, Currant Whiskey, Jalapeno Whiskey, etc.
    Yep! I can see it now, Georgia Moon Eggplant/Arugala Whiskey. Yum Yum!
    As he removed the cork from the bottle of bourbon, he threw it across the room and said, "we ain't gonna need that no more".

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

One of the whisky shooters I've seen is based on corn whisky, I can't recall the name now. It is sold here, I'll look for it.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Did you ever expect to see that headline? Yep, Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey has apparently been going great guns and Heaven Hill is bringing out two line extensions, Georgia Moon Peach and Georgia Moon Lemonade.

Both will be classified as flavored whiskey, so they will be 70 proof and sweetened. The only other examples of flavored whiskey that I can think of are the Philips Union Cherry and Philips Union Vanilla.
    Yet again I leaped to the wrong conclusion upon reading a subject line.

I expected the NAS version to be joined by aged versions (not in oak, of course, per the regs -- maybe a 55 gal. drum) of, say, 10, 12, 15, 20 and 23. Of course that would be days, not years.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Heaven Hill is the only major distillery that makes corn whiskey to sell. (Others make it for blending.) They sell several brands. Georgia Moon is the leader, mostly because of the moonshine/mason jar gimmick, They also make Mellow Corn, and Mellow Corn bottled-in-bond, which is aged. Corn whiskey can't be aged in new charred barrels. It doesn't have to be aged at all but if it is aged, it has to be in used or new but uncharred oak barrels. To be straight it has to be so aged for at least two years. To be BIB it has to be so aged for at least 4 years.

Part of Georgia Moon's brand image is that it isn't aged and part of Mellow Corn's brand image is that it is. I could, however, see them changing that and bringing out an aged Georgia Moon if they thought it would sell. The mason jar is just too good of a plus to sacrifice. In other words, if it seems that the category can support more entries, they might do them under the Georgia Moon banner.

I could say they are the category, but in the markets where corn sells at all, there are more and more little distilleries making corn, and it's such a small segment that the little guys and Heaven Hill are on a pretty equal footing in a given local market.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Actually I have examples of GM in both pints and 750s that are not in Mason Jars...though these are at 100 proof, I have yet to see the 80 proof in anything other than the jars. Yes the jar is quite the gimmick and many people will turn up their nose before attempting to drink it or do it on a dare only. I'm not sure this evens out, but HH seems happy enough with the results.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile