Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

BOTM, 8/08: Vintage Bourbon 17yo

I had the pleasure of trying this months BOTM at a trendy New York bottle shop with Cliff and my wife Jen on a sunny Sunday afternoon back in April.
    It aroused enough interest that I purchased a bottle whilst in Bardstown and carried it back to Australia to revisit at a later date. What better way to enjoy it and discuss its merits with my fellow SB'ers than as this months BOTM.

What do you think of the youngest Vintage bottle from Kentucky Bourbon Distillers?

Sound off

Virtuoso

Re: BOTM, 8/08: Vintage Bourbon 17yo

Great choice Cam! I also had the pleasure of trying it for the first time in April (different location) and since the store owner in Lexington KY that ordered it for me had not tried it either, we opened a bottle right in the store. There were 5 of us that sampled it and all were very impressed with this pour, it's well rounded with a great balance of everything good. I may have to open a new bottle tonight!

Cheers!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

This is a fun bourbon. It has the most "black tea" taste to it of any bourbon that I have had.

My wife is a big tea drinker, so I have been working into bourbon through this one..

It has a great taste profile that ranges through tea and earth to milk to dark chocolate.

Great bourbon for the price that I always keep on the shelf..

Guru

I had a bottle of this a year or so ago.
    I remember that I liked it a lot and I would recommend it.
    It is easily one of KBD's best.
    ovh

Guru

This inspired me to go back and retaste a bottle that's been open for a year or so.

My impressions are the same as they were then: too much char and oak for my tastes.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    This inspired me to go back and retaste a bottle that's been open for a year or so.

My impressions are the same as they were then: too much char and oak for my tastes.
    Of the three that I have had, they have all been difrent, with the second having more char and oak than the other. ALl had a good black tea taste to them though....

Guru

Such are the vagaries of these kind of bottlings. Mine could be a less than optimal one.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

This is one I've never had. In general, I just don't see much of the Vintage products around. I can say, that I have been generally impressed with KBD's picks on most of their offerings. I did see a bottle of the 17 yr. this week, however, but didn't pick it up. I think it was in the mid $70 range. How does that price stack up with what ya'll see?

JOE

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    This is one I've never had. In general, I just don't see much of the Vintage products around. I can say, that I have been generally impressed with KBD's picks on most of their offerings. I did see a bottle of the 17 yr. this week, however, but didn't pick it up. I think it was in the mid $70 range. How does that price stack up with what ya'll see?

JOE
    Mid-$40s last I looked in Louisville
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Picked up a case at Sampler time in April for $36 a bottle ! I may want to check into another next time I'm down.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"