Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: List of Distilleries

whoa.... Jeff.

The bourbon industry is pretty small. Don't get the image there are dozens of little firms making the stuff for anyone to bottle.

But when United or National made product that now has been sitting it was made by people who cared and many who've lost their job or gone to another distiller.

So the process was controlled. The key then is to pick the barrels that will give you excellent bourbon. Jeff's reserve (not yours, of course) gets excellent reviews

I hope that helps.

Administrator in exile

Greg,
    Thanks for your input! I know that there are only a handful of working distilleries out there, but they produce so many labels, many of them owned by other entities, that it makes me wonder who plays the more important role. Take for instance Buffalo Trace. They distill the bourbon for Blantons and VanWinkle (among others). Now, would Blantons and VW be the same if say the parent companies chose say Heaven Hill to do the distilling? I realize that this is a vast over-simplification of the process, not taking into account location, aging, or barrels in waiting from a bygone era, but is the actual distilling company of upmost importance? Or lets look at it backwards. If you take Age International and the VanWinkle people out od the picture, could Buffalo Trace produce bourbons of similar quality?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Jeff\'s Distilleries

Beam and National merged in 1987. Beam immediately closed the distilleries. If there is an National-made bourbon around, it's over 15 years old. I never heard of Beam selling any National whiskey on the bulk market, but that doesn't mean they didn't. That's all I know.

Connoisseur

actually all of the VanWinkle product you and I've ever tasted was LIKELY NOT from Buffalo Trace. While Julian won't tell it's speculated that most of that bourbon is old United Distiller's stock. Anyway, I really don't think it was from BT...yet!

Chuck, thanks for clarifying the point the Beam's not sold bulk

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

The other thing to bear in mind and this is hard sometimes to believe , it that on any given day the stills that are up and running , could produce the very best bourbon in the world . Earlier today I had a touch of Blanton's and really thought I had received the nectar of the gods. Only a little while ago I had my first taste of Booker's . Damn Man. If Beam can run juice like that in a 20 barrel batch, who needs single barrel?