Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: A new Rye from Beam?

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    This sounds very exciting I only pray it is released on a global scale and not kept to a single market. Australia is long overdue for a 2nd nationally available American Rye (Beam Yellow Label is our only one)
    Cam,

I was told the other day (from a reliable source) we should have WT Rye back on our shelves within a month. Happy days!

I too hope this new rye from Beam makes it down under.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I always applaud the effort of any distillery to introduce new products, although I may not always applaud their finished product. That said, the only thing I ask from Beam is a RYE. A REAL RYE. A hit me in the nose and make my eyes water RYE! I don't want a rye that is easy to drink. Got enough of them. I don't want a rye that I can hardly distinguish from most bourbons. Got enough of them, too. I want distinction. I want rye flavor. Rye should sizzle. I want something I can say "WOW! to. Give me that, Beam, and you will have a fan, and my money. Now, just my opinion...but RRR failed. I hope you can do better...I really WANT you to do better.

JOE
    This sounds like an explosive exposition soliloquy from a late 1980's romantic comedy. Allow me:

"That said, the only thing I ask from <insert character name> is LOVE. A REAL LOVE. A hit me in the nose and make my eyes water LOVE! I don't want a LOVE that is easy to HAVE. Got enough of them. I don't want a LOVE that I can hardly distinguish from most FLINGS. Got enough of them, too. I want distinction. LOVE should sizzle. I want something I can say "WOW! to. Give me that, <insert character name>, and you will have a fan, and my money. Now, just my opinion...but <Ex-character name>f ailed. I hope you can do better...I really WANT you to do better."

Joe,
    I think you're in love with rye whiskey the same way Sally is in love with Harry.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    This sounds like an explosive exposition soliloquy from a late 1980's romantic comedy. Allow me:

"That said, the only thing I ask from <insert character name> is LOVE. A REAL LOVE. A hit me in the nose and make my eyes water LOVE! I don't want a LOVE that is easy to HAVE. Got enough of them. I don't want a LOVE that I can hardly distinguish from most FLINGS. Got enough of them, too. I want distinction. LOVE should sizzle. I want something I can say "WOW! to. Give me that, <insert character name>, and you will have a fan, and my money. Now, just my opinion...but <Ex-character name>f ailed. I hope you can do better...I really WANT you to do better."

Joe,
    I think you're in love with rye whiskey the same way Sally is in love with Harry.

Well, even if it's not what I'm looking for in Rye, It's better to have ryed and lost, than never to have ryed at all.

JOE

Disciple

I'll have the rye he's having?
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Disciple

I would say any new rye is good news at least if it is somewhere above 80 proof.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Beam doesn't really do small. It might roll out regionally, but they'll have it national pretty quickly.

Advanced Taster
    Traver

"If you fear I'll lose my spirit/Like a drunkard's wasted wine/Don't you even think about it/I'm feeling fine."--13th Floor Elevators

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Oh, so it's RI to the first power...so that would just be Rye...Okay,whatever...92 proof is an odd choice in the American whiskey market.

No talk of an age statement...no talk about history either (that's okay, Beam doesn't do too well with accuracy in that dept. anyway)

I must admit, I think the packaging design is so far out from what has been done before they may be completely missing the market. I feel so many people who are existing buyers in that market will pass it over as a gimmick and too few people moving into the market will risk buying something that is so far removed from the more established brands...though the bottle will look great on a back bar somewhere, on a crowded shelf I just think it will look like a gimmick.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Interesting. Certainly staking out a different visual and tactile terrain here (the bottle, label, name). Presumably somewhere on the label it still says straight rye whiskey.

Gary

Connoisseur

yes it seems they are really relying on the marketing and packaging to create the product. They have the $$$ to put into a campaign so good luck to the exec who has his a$$ riding on this one.

I don't really see this product as something that would appeal to me, it's much more of a "lifestyle" marketing gimic. Hopefully they find enough consumers who want to live the "ri" life.

I'm too busy living the "Van Winkle", "BT" and "WT" life.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Oh, so it's RI to the first power...so that would just be Rye...Okay,whatever...92 proof is an odd choice in the American whiskey market.

No talk of an age statement...no talk about history either (that's okay, Beam doesn't do too well with accuracy in that dept. anyway)

I must admit, I think the packaging design is so far out from what has been done before they may be completely missing the market. I feel so many people who are existing buyers in that market will pass it over as a gimmick and too few people moving into the market will risk buying something that is so far removed from the more established brands...though the bottle will look great on a back bar somewhere, on a crowded shelf I just think it will look like a gimmick.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski